CBS's Nancy Drew Will Be "Diverse"

Ubiquitous

Jan 13, 2016, 4:46:26 AM1/13/16
The drama is in development at the network and will reimagine the
iconic character in her 30s.

CBS' new Nancy Drew will look very different should the network move
forward with the reboot.

CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller revealed Tuesday that the
network's reimagining of the iconic character will be diverse.

"She is diverse, that is the way she is written," the executive told
THR immediately following his time in front of the press at the
Television Critics Association's winter press tour Tuesday. While
Geller said it was too early in the process to explain just what he
meant by diverse — whether Nancy is African-American, Asian-American or
Latino, he said it would hinge on finding the right actress for the
part. "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any
ethnicity."

CBS announced in October that it is developing a new Nancy Drew series.
The drama, which is in development, is described as a contemporary take
on the character from the iconic book series. Now in her 30s, Nancy is
a detective for the NYPD where she investigates and solves crimes using
her uncanny observational skills, all while navigating the complexities
of life in a modern world. CBS Television Studios-based Dan Jinks will
exec produce alongside Grey's Anatomy alums Tony Rater and Joan Phelan,
who also have deals with the studio.

The news comes as CBS is poised to launch DC Comics take Supergirl as
the network, under chief Nina Tassler, has made female empowerment a
high priority.

Nancy Drew first appeared in books in 1930 and was originally created
by Edward Stratemeyer. The beloved books have been ghostwritten by a
series of authors and published under the pseudonym Carolyn Keene. The
character has evolved in the decades since, though the original series
— Nancy Drew Mystery Stories — ran from 1930-2003. The franchise has
included spinoff series including Nancy Drew Files and collaborations
with The Hardy Boys.

The character spawned a TV series — The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
— that ran for three seasons on ABC in the late 1970s starring Pamela
Sue Martin (and later Janet Louise Johnson) as well as Shaun Cassidy
and Parker Stevens. The series was an anthology of sorts, with some
episodes focusing only on Nancy Drew, with amateur sleuth siblings
Frank and Joe Hardy. The series was produced by Glen A. Larson
Productions and distributed by Universal Television. (Larson passed
away in November.)

The 1970s ABC series was the first to air with Nancy though CBS and
producers Desilu (I Love Lucy) produced a pilot starring Roberta Shore
that was based on the movies from the 1930s that ultimately never aired
after author Harriet Adams (aka Keene) objected. Several other attempts
to launch a TV series have been made in the decades since, including a
failed Canadian series in the late '80s and '90s which was canceled
midway through its first season following poor ratings. More recently,
ABC aired a Nancy Drew TV movie starring Maggie Lawson that was slated
to run as a back-door pilot. Despite ordering additional scripts, the
project did not move forward.

On the film side, Bonita Granville played Nancy in four Warner Bros.
films in the '30s and, more recently, Emma Roberts (Scream Queens)
played the famed sleuth in a 2007 movie from the same studio.

Historically, the character is a feminist icon whose cultural impact
has been a great one and has influenced everyone from Sandra Day
O'Connor, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Barbra Streisand and more.

The news comes a day after Netflix announced it was teaming with Norman
Lear for an all-Latino remake of his classic sitcom One Day at a Time,
as networks make diversity a priority in a bid to attract new
underrepresented communities and better reflect society.

During his time in front of the press Tuesday, Geller stressed that
diversity is playing a major role in his development season. "We have a
lot of new series in development, both series targeted to have full
African-American or Latino casts but also many leads that are being
developed [as diverse]. We're not casting color blind, we're casting
color conscious," he said.

--
Pres Obama officially endorses Hillary Clinton, because he doesn't want
to be known forever as the worst president.

A Friend

Jan 13, 2016, 7:53:46 AM1/13/16
In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> The character spawned a TV series — The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
> — that ran for three seasons on ABC in the late 1970s starring Pamela
> Sue Martin (and later Janet Louise Johnson) as well as Shaun Cassidy
> and Parker Stevens.

Parker Stevenson. Ex-husband of Kirstie Alley.

> The series was an anthology of sorts, with some
> episodes focusing only on Nancy Drew, with amateur sleuth siblings
> Frank and Joe Hardy.

There was at least one crossover.

> The series was produced by Glen A. Larson
> Productions

The mark of quality!

> and distributed by Universal Television. (Larson passed
> away in November.)
>
> The 1970s ABC series was the first to air with Nancy though CBS and
> producers Desilu (I Love Lucy) produced a pilot starring Roberta Shore
> that was based on the movies from the 1930s that ultimately never aired
> after author Harriet Adams (aka Keene) objected. Several other attempts
> to launch a TV series have been made in the decades since, including a
> failed Canadian series in the late '80s and '90s which was canceled
> midway through its first season following poor ratings.

1995. It was a Canadian/French/Belgian co-production, and was packaged
for first-run syndication with a Hardy Boys series from the same house.
Both series were awful.

And, what, no love for the cartoon show from 1969? Where the guys were
rock stars as well as mystery solvers? "Oh, boy, here come the Hardys
/ Oh, boy, we're having a party."

> More recently

In 2002.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 8:09:04 AM1/13/16
In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> The news comes as CBS is poised to launch DC Comics take Supergirl as
> the network, under chief Nina Tassler, has made female empowerment a
> high priority.

Okay, is that actually a sentence?

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Rhino

Jan 13, 2016, 9:10:35 AM1/13/16
In other words, white lead actors will not be considered except perhaps
in minor supporting roles.

I hereby predict that this will only accelerate the cord-cutting as less
and less of the majority of the audience finds itself represented in
significant roles on network TV.

Whatever happened to Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream about society only
caring about the content of one's character and being indifferent to the
colour of one's skin? How did that turn into the notion that white
people need to be disparaged and blocked from participating fully in
society? How did demolishing racism become empowering it with the
oppressor and oppressed simply trading places?

--
Rhino

Rhino

Jan 13, 2016, 9:12:23 AM1/13/16
On 1/13/2016 8:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> The news comes as CBS is poised to launch DC Comics take Supergirl as
>> the network, under chief Nina Tassler, has made female empowerment a
>> high priority.
>
> Okay, is that actually a sentence?

Not to anyone with more than a glancing familiarity with the English
language.

--
Rhino

Obveeus

Jan 13, 2016, 9:35:51 AM1/13/16

On 1/13/2016 8:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> The news comes as CBS is poised to launch DC Comics take Supergirl as
>> the network, under chief Nina Tassler, has made female empowerment a
>> high priority.
>
> Okay, is that actually a sentence?

The sentence is diverse.

Obveeus

Jan 13, 2016, 9:36:38 AM1/13/16

On 1/13/2016 4:44 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> "[She will] not [be] Caucasian," he stressed. "I'd be open to any
> ethnicity."

A new meaning for the word 'any'.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2016, 10:22:03 AM1/13/16
If I read a Nancy Drew pulp novel, have I cut the cord?

RichA

Jan 13, 2016, 10:44:32 AM1/13/16
On Wednesday, 13 January 2016 04:46:26 UTC-5, Ubiquitous wrote:

Geller stressed that
> diversity is playing a major role in his development season. "We have a
> lot of new series in development, both series targeted to have full
> African-American or Latino casts but also many leads that are being
> developed [as diverse]. We're not casting color blind, we're casting
> color conscious," he said.

The first detective with an IQ of 85...

moviePig

Jan 13, 2016, 10:48:08 AM1/13/16
It may make sense if we prefix 'take' with 'mis' -- or, better, 'Ms.'

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Support Your Local P.C. Police

Jan 13, 2016, 12:31:33 PM1/13/16
suspect ...eventually will be fighting Caucasian "Racist" Cops and the White Establishment ...for "Social Justice" ...all at the same time she is raising 2-3 fatherless bastards!

NoBody

Jan 13, 2016, 12:34:37 PM1/13/16
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 04:44:40 -0500, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>The drama is in development at the network and will reimagine the
>iconic character in her 30s.
>
>CBS' new Nancy Drew will look very different should the network move
>forward with the reboot.
>
>CBS Entertainment president Glenn Geller revealed Tuesday that the
>network's reimagining of the iconic character will be diverse.

Is Hollywood so bereft of ideas that they need to remake Nancy Drew???

Rhino

Jan 13, 2016, 1:21:39 PM1/13/16
Not unless you also cancel your cable/satellite ;-)

--
Rhino

Bill Steele

Jan 13, 2016, 1:59:04 PM1/13/16
On 1/13/16 9:09 AM, Rhino wrote:
> Now in her 30s, Nancy is
> a detective for the NYPD where she investigates and solves crimes using
> her uncanny observational skills, all while navigating the complexities
> of life in a modern world.

So it's a reboot of "The Mysteries of Laura."

Whatever color she is, the important thing about Nancy Drew is that
she's a kid and an outsider who has to work around the cops and other
adults -- an sometimes her boyfriend -- to get things done.

She was a wish-fulfillment figure for young girls. I guess the network
thinking is that putting her name on an otherwise routine cop show will
get women who remember that to watch. To the suits, names are more
important than content.

Obveeus

Jan 13, 2016, 2:00:37 PM1/13/16
The 'suits' wouldn't think that way if the public didn't continuously
confirm it.

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 7:10:45 PM1/13/16
In article <56967186$0$53757$c3e8da3$3304...@news.astraweb.com>,
moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 1/13/2016 9:35 AM, Obveeus wrote:
> >

> > On 1/13/2016 8:09 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> >> Okay, is that actually a sentence?
> >
> > The sentence is diverse.
>
> It may make sense if we prefix 'take' with 'mis' -- or, better, 'Ms.'

heh

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 7:11:07 PM1/13/16
In article <n75q2n$enc$3...@news.albasani.net>,
No such thing as a Nancy Drew pulp. Sorry. :)

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2016, 7:17:42 PM1/13/16
Were these cheap hardcover novels in the 1930s?

Michael Black

Jan 13, 2016, 7:31:08 PM1/13/16
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, A Friend wrote:

> In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
> <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> The character spawned a TV series ? The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
>> ? that ran for three seasons on ABC in the late 1970s starring Pamela
>> Sue Martin (and later Janet Louise Johnson) as well as Shaun Cassidy
>> and Parker Stevens.
>
> Parker Stevenson. Ex-husband of Kirstie Alley.

And not to be confused with Jameson Parker, who doesn't look the same, but
their names can be confused.

Jameson Parker was of course on "Simon & Simon".

>> The series was an anthology of sorts, with some
>> episodes focusing only on Nancy Drew, with amateur sleuth siblings
>> Frank and Joe Hardy.
>
> There was at least one crossover.
>
>> The series was produced by Glen A. Larson
>> Productions
>
> The mark of quality!
>
>> and distributed by Universal Television. (Larson passed
>> away in November.)
>>
>> The 1970s ABC series was the first to air with Nancy though CBS and
>> producers Desilu (I Love Lucy) produced a pilot starring Roberta Shore
>> that was based on the movies from the 1930s that ultimately never aired
>> after author Harriet Adams (aka Keene) objected. Several other attempts
>> to launch a TV series have been made in the decades since, including a
>> failed Canadian series in the late '80s and '90s which was canceled
>> midway through its first season following poor ratings.
>
> 1995. It was a Canadian/French/Belgian co-production, and was packaged
> for first-run syndication with a Hardy Boys series from the same house.
> Both series were awful.
>

> And, what, no love for the cartoon show from 1969? Where the guys were
> rock stars as well as mystery solvers? "Oh, boy, here come the Hardys
> / Oh, boy, we're having a party."

That sounds vaguely familiar.

But, just like most amateur detectives on tv are derivative of Sherlock
Holmes, I think any crime solving teenage group is derivative of Nancy
Drew and/or The Hardy Boys.

So Scooby Dooby Doo probably traces back to them too, and that was hot in
the sixties.

There was "The Edison Twins" in eighties on the CBC, and in the US on The
Disney Channel, where they solved things, probably traceable to the book
characters.

Gee, The Mickey Mouse Club (the original, as if it needed mentioning) had
a sequence of Hardy Boys episodes.

Michael

Michael Black

Jan 13, 2016, 7:43:05 PM1/13/16
The dream is still there, and probably still a dream for many.

So tv needs a bit of a push.

Whoever plays Nancy, it matters more what they are like than the color of
their skin. I have no problem with them making it some other "race", but
whether I liked it or not would depend on the actor taking the role.

Amandla Stenberg may be getting "too old" for the role, at 17, but I liked
her in the first "The Hunger Games" film, even if she was killed off too
early.

And she's spoken out about "cultural appropriation" and now says she's
bisexual, so lots of diversity in the same package. She also happens to be
born on October 23rd.

I don't know Nancy Drew's situation, but the Hardy Boys relied a lot on
their father's reputation as a former cop, and now consulting detective.
Some of those options werent' available to black people until relatively
recently, unless within the "black community", which is often the place
where black people could rise (relatively speaking). The Hardy Boys'
father had enough money so they could pursue detective work, not just they
didnt' need an after school job to keep the family going, but they could
rent an airplane or buy an airline ticket to solve the crime, and buy
detective gadgetry, which couldn't be the case for someone living in
souther poverty or northern poverty.

"The color of their skin" means Nichelle Nichols got to be on Star Trek,
when the default would have meant a white actress. The role didn't
require the character to be black, the character became black because of
the actress playing it. There is nothing black about Nancy Drew, so
someone non-white should be able to play the role. Black (and other
"minorities" shouldn't get stuck only playing themselves (though of
course, they usually play themselves better than white people playing
non-white).

Michael Horse in "Passenger 57" is a very unlikeable character, playing one
of the bad guys. But his role didnt' require him to be an indian,
there's nothing there to indicate it, we only think he's an indian because
we know the actor, and I guess he had long hair in the film. SO the color
of his skin didn't matter, that's what Martin Luther King is talking
about.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 8:27:43 PM1/13/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
I'd never seen this before, and I hope I never see it again:
https://youtu.be/GNS6HhtElLo
and then ... it got worse:
https://youtu.be/bA0mkvmEHsA

> But, just like most amateur detectives on tv are derivative of Sherlock
> Holmes, I think any crime solving teenage group is derivative of Nancy
> Drew and/or The Hardy Boys.
>
> So Scooby Dooby Doo probably traces back to them too, and that was hot in
> the sixties.
>
> There was "The Edison Twins" in eighties on the CBC, and in the US on The
> Disney Channel, where they solved things, probably traceable to the book
> characters.
>
> Gee, The Mickey Mouse Club (the original, as if it needed mentioning) had
> a sequence of Hardy Boys episodes.
>
> Michael

Michael Black

Jan 13, 2016, 8:53:51 PM1/13/16
On Thu, 14 Jan 2016, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> In article <n75q2n$enc$3...@news.albasani.net>,

No, pulps were really cheap paper in magazines. Not only did
it refer to the quality of the paper, but there was a higher level of
churning out than with those book series, though I'm sure the book series
were influenced by the pulps. Things like using an author's name that was
made up, and then any real authors were ghostwriting under that name.

I'm sure Nancy Drew was influenced by the way Doc Savage was written,
except if I looked up the dates and found them to be wrong.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 8:57:05 PM1/13/16
In article <n76pf2$9od$6...@news.albasani.net>,
Yep.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2016, 8:58:11 PM1/13/16
Thanks

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 9:04:43 PM1/13/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

Yep, Nancy predates Doc by a couple years; The Hardy Boys predate Doc by
maybe half a dozen years, and Tom Swift predates Doc by almost a quarter
of a century.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2016, 9:11:04 PM1/13/16
Thanks.

Michael Black

Jan 13, 2016, 9:26:12 PM1/13/16
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, anim8rfsk wrote:

>> I'm sure Nancy Drew was influenced by the way Doc Savage was written,
>> except if I looked up the dates and found them to be wrong.
>>
>> Michael
>
> Yep, Nancy predates Doc by a couple years; The Hardy Boys predate Doc by
> maybe half a dozen years, and Tom Swift predates Doc by almost a quarter
> of a century.

And I forgot that. So was the form of Doc Savage influenced by the
form of Tom Swift?

Michael

anim8rfsk

Jan 13, 2016, 9:54:49 PM1/13/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

Good question. I've read all of both, and while they generally appeal
to the same people ... I don't recall ever thinking one is derivative of
the other.

Your Name

Jan 14, 2016, 12:57:44 AM1/14/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016, A Friend wrote:
> > In article <n00ry4$bf9$2...@dont-email.me>, Ubiquitous
> > <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> >> The character spawned a TV series ? The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
> >> ? that ran for three seasons on ABC in the late 1970s starring Pamela
> >> Sue Martin (and later Janet Louise Johnson) as well as Shaun Cassidy
> >> and Parker Stevens.
> >
> > Parker Stevenson. Ex-husband of Kirstie Alley.
> >
> And not to be confused with Jameson Parker, who doesn't look the same, but
> their names can be confused.
>
> Jameson Parker was of course on "Simon & Simon".

I thought he was Spider-Man's secret identity. ;-)
There's been quite a few "kids solve mysteries" books and shows. Enid
Blyton had the Famous Five and Secret Seven books (some of which were
also made into shows), The Three Investigators books, Net Force
Explorers books, Whizz Kids TV show with a group of teen computer
nerds. etc.

YHVH

Jan 14, 2016, 1:38:18 AM1/14/16

Has anyone mentioned The Bloodhound Gang, yet?

shawn

Jan 14, 2016, 10:33:38 AM1/14/16
Yes, we are open to any ethnicity.. Just not those awful Caucasians..
Those will not be tolerated.

Though, not that it matters for a TV show, about the effectiveness of
the character in solving crimes depending on what they do with the
character. I mean, if they made her a gangsta like character it's not
going to work in most of the situations she would find herself in so
while they may be open on ethnicity (except for Caucasian) the
character is still going to have to be somewhat the same. More
Veronica Mars now than the way they wrote Nancy Drew back in the day,
but still someone that can actually blend in to many situations.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 14, 2016, 10:42:53 AM1/14/16
It does make you appreciate that Veronica Mars wasn't called Nancy Drew,
even though it was clearly inspired by Nancy Drew. They weren't telling
Nancy Drew stories or using the Nancy Drew style.