What TV series did you love but will never revisit

jess stone

Nov 26, 2016, 12:33:09 PM11/26/16
http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058

This week’s question...

During its initial run, I watched every episode of Felicity; however,
about a decade ago, I ordered the first DVD of the series from
Netflix, popped it in, shut it off in a complete lack of interest five
minutes into the pilot, and mailed the disc back, never to attempt
watching it again. What shows were you a devoted fan of when you first
saw them, but now have no interest in rewatching?

<That's a tough one for me. I have scores of new unwatched eps yet to
watch as well as triple that number of archived watched shows (eg.
Banshee, early seasons of Shameless, United States of Tara and on and
on) that I fully intend to revisit some day.>

Michael Black

Nov 26, 2016, 9:47:14 PM11/26/16
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, jess stone wrote:

> http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
>
> This week?s question...
>
> During its initial run, I watched every episode of Felicity; however,
> about a decade ago, I ordered the first DVD of the series from
> Netflix, popped it in, shut it off in a complete lack of interest five
> minutes into the pilot, and mailed the disc back, never to attempt
> watching it again. What shows were you a devoted fan of when you first
> saw them, but now have no interest in rewatching?
>
> <That's a tough one for me. I have scores of new unwatched eps yet to
> watch as well as triple that number of archived watched shows (eg.
> Banshee, early seasons of Shameless, United States of Tara and on and
> on) that I fully intend to revisit some day.>

That's not a greatly phrased question.

For a long time, even if we loved a show, seeing it again was at the whim
of network programming. So there could be lots of shows that were
interesting, but we'd never see again.

I have gotten some shows on DVD, but the ones I bought new were decades
old. A Simon & Simon, and 2 seasons of Magnum PI, are the most recent.
The other ones are mostly from the sixties. So I had no idea until I
watched them how I'd react. It turns out that while Rat Patrol made a big
impression on me in the sixties, I remembered none of the episodes, though
I did remember some of the template. I have yet to get back to watch them
on DVD a second time. I got SpaceGhost, and found it terribly repetitive,
not the excitement from back when it first aired (and it was probably the
first Saturday morning cartoon I watched), but the segment where the kid
is lost in a prehistoric valley or something, I didn't remember that much,
but rather liked it on watching as an adult. I liked watching Jonny Quest,
but now I'm not sure I ever saw it as a kid. So shows from the sixties,
unless they saw endless reruns, are worth watching again, because it's
been so long. Then I can decide whether the show has stood the test of
time, or me getting older.

I have bought more recent TV series on DVD but that's been really cheap at
used book sales. So I did watch those two seasons of Monk, I did like it,
but I only saw one season on TV so this was mostly new. Because they are
so cheap (at used book sales a whole season tends to go for the price of
one DVD, no more than $3), I've bought a wider variety of more recent
shows, but often have yet to watch them. Smallville the first season,
which I did watch, is waiting. I watched some episodes of one season of
Numb3rs, but then took a pause and havent' got back. I just got the first
four seasons of "How I Met Your Mother", which I didn't until the later
seaons, so that should be fun. I did get Firefly on DVD, since that was a
one season show it required little effort. It seemed okay. I got the film
on DVD so I should watch them all together.

But a lot of recent shows, I wouldn't want to spend money on them because
they've been in reruns too many times. I'd like to have specific episodes
of Seinfeld, but even seeing them at used book sales doesn't grab me hard.
Same with Friends. If I saw Felicity cheap, I might get it, but it wasn't
that important, especially since I was much older at the time.

Michael

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 26, 2016, 10:45:14 PM11/26/16
Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. I really liked Monk
when it originally aired but can't see myself ever watching it again. I
own tons of shows on DVD/blu-ray. I used to be able to keep up with
watching them but now I have multiple seasons of multiple shows still in
the shrinkwrap. I was keeping up with Once Upon a Time on blu-ray until
the last season when for the first time I fell behind and didn't watch
it before the new one. The only other series I'm still buying and
watching again is Game of Thrones but I haven't gotten around to buying
the newest season yet.

junebug

Nov 26, 2016, 10:58:24 PM11/26/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 8:47:14 PM UTC-6, Michael Black wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2016, jess stone wrote:
>
> > http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
> >
> > This week?s question...
> >
> > During its initial run, I watched every episode of Felicity; however,
> > about a decade ago, I ordered the first DVD of the series from
> > Netflix, popped it in, shut it off in a complete lack of interest five
> > minutes into the pilot, and mailed the disc back, never to attempt
> > watching it again. What shows were you a devoted fan of when you first
> > saw them, but now have no interest in rewatching?

I had the same experience with F Troop, which I thought was hilarious as a kid, but sent the disc back to Netflix after 2 episodes. I did watch a few episodes of Rat Patrol, which I felt really held up well over all these years. Another show I liked was The Flash from 1990, but after watching the pilot recently, I had no interest in the rest of the eps. Very few shows that I remember fondly live up to my memories.

number6

Nov 26, 2016, 11:14:52 PM11/26/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 12:33:09 PM UTC-5, jess stone wrote:
> http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
>
> This week’s question...

Easy ... Lost - One of the best shows ever ... that when they totally screwed
both the ending and the fans simultaneously seems it to have left it in the trashcan
for me ... when they released it again on demand ... I watched the first 20
minutes or so ... recalled both how great it was and where they ended it and
turned it off never to watch a minute of it again ...

anim8rfsk

Nov 26, 2016, 11:45:44 PM11/26/16
In article <o1dkpo$fg2$1...@dont-email.me>,
I really liked Monk too but the constant revisionist history just became
infuriating. And the finale belongs in the 'worst ever' thread.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 3:33:33 AM11/27/16
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .

I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
It dragged.

One of the episodes Fox withheld from airing was the funniest of the series,
Trash, featuring the return of Mrs. Reynolds (Christina Hendricks).

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 3:37:58 AM11/27/16
We should have a thread about insta-growed daughters!

Shadow

Nov 27, 2016, 4:17:45 AM11/27/16
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:33:10 -0800, jess stone <jess...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
>
>This week’s question...
>
>During its initial run, I watched every episode of Felicity; however,
>about a decade ago, I ordered the first DVD of the series from
>Netflix, popped it in, shut it off in a complete lack of interest five
>minutes into the pilot, and mailed the disc back, never to attempt
>watching it again. What shows were you a devoted fan of when you first
>saw them, but now have no interest in rewatching?

Anything superficial, when you know the answer to the
"mysteries" or "romance plots".
Though "love" is a strong word for Elementary, The Black List,
all the CSI's, the early Criminal Minds (the latest are trash), Grimm,
Mr Robot, Dexter,all the "Being Humans", Game of Thrones, Longmire
..... the list goes on. I would never re-watch them.
I have re-watched and enjoyed Supernatural, Angie Tribecca,
some of the early Big Bangs(when the blond was the only female - OMG,
I think she still is unless the Indian guy counts as a girl), Black
Mirror, Star Trek - the original, .... I could possibly watch "How I
Met my Wife" again, but knowing the horrible ending might spoil it.
Anything I forgot ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

RichA

Nov 27, 2016, 5:34:15 AM11/27/16
Hell on Wheels. Mostly serialized shows where stories ran the length of the show.

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 10:53:39 AM11/27/16
In article <o1e5mf$k44$3...@dont-email.me>,
Also, now the pilot is complete, and not the truncated version that was
first broadcast.

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 11:07:42 AM11/27/16
In article <o1e5uo$k44$4...@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

And retroactive solutions to killings where it turned out years later to
be the victim's fault and had nothing to do with the protagonist.

It just occurred to me that that sick creep J. Michael Strazinski
totally ripped off the finale of MONK for his Spider-Man destroying saga
SINS PAST.

Okay, now I have to check the dates on this.

Okay, MONK finale, December 4, 2009.

And ... whoops. Sins Past was 2005. MONK ripped off Spider-Man, not
the other way 'round.

I mean, it's the same damn story. Except JMS made it even sicker.
Unless we find out that Monk was canoodling Trudy's daughter after the
end credits.

Okay, this has officially crossed over into "TV series with finales so
wretched that they reached back and tainted everything that has gone
before"

And to both that category and this, allow me to nominate:

(The Adventures of) MERLIN (the one with Katie McGrath).

I loved that show. I've got the DVDs. I've got the soundtrack CDs.
It's on The Netflix. And I can't bring myself to watch it.

It was intentional, too. The series was supposed to continue in movie
form, and when the deal fell through, they slapped together an unhappy
ending just to salt the Earth.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 12:11:23 PM11/27/16
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .

>>I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
>>intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
>>not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
>>It dragged.

>>One of the episodes Fox withheld from airing was the funniest of the series,
>>Trash, featuring the return of Mrs. Reynolds (Christina Hendricks).

>Also, now the pilot is complete, and not the truncated version that was
>first broadcast.

Hm? Fox aired the pilot in a two-hour time slot. It had aired 10 episodes
(some in a random order), withheld three, then aired the pilot.

I sure hope the pilot doesn't have a longer cut, as it dragged enough
as it was.

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 12:38:14 PM11/27/16
In article <o1f41d$an8$1...@dont-email.me>,
I've read that the war scenes weren't in the original airing 'cause FOX
didn't want to start the series that way, and then they didn't start
with the pilot anyway. I have no actual memory of this.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 12:52:47 PM11/27/16
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Also, now the pilot is complete, and not the truncated version that was
>>>first broadcast.

>>Hm? Fox aired the pilot in a two-hour time slot. It had aired 10 episodes
>>(some in a random order), withheld three, then aired the pilot.

>>I sure hope the pilot doesn't have a longer cut, as it dragged enough
>>as it was.

>I've read that the war scenes weren't in the original airing 'cause FOX
>didn't want to start the series that way, and then they didn't start
>with the pilot anyway. I have no actual memory of this.

Ok. Then they must have broadcast the original cut as I recall them. It
began with the Battle of Serenity.

I understand why Fox withheld the pilot. A lot of it just didn't resemble
the series and I don't know what Joss Whedon was thinking. A more traditional
way to introduced the series (and maybe it would have found its audience)
would have been to show the team on a job and THEN show the Battle of
Serenity in backstory, because the "band of brothers" relationship between
Mal and Zoe was critical to understanding and enjoying the story.

The memorable scene from the pilot was Kaylee's introduction, actually.
That was rather more in the spirit of the humor from the series.

As I've said plenty of times: The first two episodes broadcast, "The Train
Job" and "Bushwacked" were weak, and I was on the fence about sticking
with the series. But "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and especially "Jaynestown"
were hysterical and kept me watching.

The theatrical movie Serenity was entertaining, but if anyone had asked
my opinion if I'd prefer comedy versus an extremely dark story set in
the Firefly universe, I'd have chosen comedy.

Michael Black

Nov 27, 2016, 1:15:07 PM11/27/16
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .
>
> I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
> intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
> not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
> It dragged.

Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 1:18:20 PM11/27/16
In article <o1f6f1$jkr$1...@dont-email.me>,
Yeah, if it hadn't been Joss, I wouldn't have watched beyond "The Train
Job"

Also, every variation of the opening narration made my skin crawl. If
it hadn't been Joss, I'd have never made it past any of them.

> The theatrical movie Serenity was entertaining, but if anyone had asked
> my opinion if I'd prefer comedy versus an extremely dark story set in
> the Firefly universe, I'd have chosen comedy.

EGK

Nov 27, 2016, 1:20:04 PM11/27/16
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 17:51:29 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>
I agree. I just revisited Firefly during the summer and loved it again.
It's even better rewatching it in order and at your own pace. I thought the
movie's plot was too jumbled and while I thought it was ok, I'm not
surprised it wasn't a big success.

This was only the second time I remember watching the movie. Once when it
came out then again at the end of my summer marathon. Joss had a lot more
money to work with on the movie but spent it on things like special effects
that didn't really matter to the Firefly fans. If he had worried more
about telling a good story that was smaller in scope instead of trying to
solve the whole plot of "the verse" he might have gotten a movie series out
of it. Bigger isn't always better and the movie proved that.

EGK

Nov 27, 2016, 1:26:16 PM11/27/16
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 13:19:51 -0500, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .
>>
>> I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
>> intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
>> not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
>> It dragged.
>>
>Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
>have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

The theatrical movie, Serenity is after the series. The original 2-part TV
movie, also titled Serenity should be viewed first.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 2:05:27 PM11/27/16
There is? You'll have to tell me what you found objectionable and which
episodes it was used on. I just had the impression that it could have
been done away with entirely.

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 3:03:49 PM11/27/16
In article <4f8m3c5nbhj5khc3j...@4ax.com>,
They totally screwed the pooch in marketing the movie. They had well
publicized sneaks for months before the release. My BFF had seen the
damn thing 3 times before opening night. So all the hardcore fans had
already seen it, and it messed up the numbers for the opening weekend,
and if you don't get that big opening weekend, you almost never recover.
It grossed $10 the first weekend and then interesting almost exactly
half as much as the previous weekend in each successive weekend:
$10m
$5m
$2.4m
$1m
$.3m
$.18m
$.09m

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 3:24:24 PM11/27/16
In article <o1fan9$t8c$1...@dont-email.me>,
http://www.fireflyfans.net/mthread.aspx?tid=8646

Here are the 3 openings, and a listing of which episodes had which
version:

ttj - book
bw - book
omr - book
jt - book
oog - mal1
sd - mal1
safe - mal2, followed by previously
ariel - mal2
ws - none, starts with a previously
ois - none, starts with a previously
serenity - none

Book's Monologue
"After the Earth was used up, we found a new solar system and hundreds
of new Earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed
the Alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule.
There was some disagreement on that point. After the War, many of the
Independents who had fought and lost drifted to the edges of the system,
far from Alliance control. Out here, people struggle to get by with the
most basic technologies. A ship would bring you work, a gun would help
you keep it. A captain's goal was simple: find a crew, find a job, keep
flying."

Mal's Monologue
"Here's how it is: Earth got used up, so we terraformed a whole new
galaxy of Earths, some rich and flush with new technologies, some not so
much. Central Planets, thems formed the Alliance, waged war to bring
everyone under their rule; a few idiots tried to fight it, among them
myself. I'm Malcolm Reynolds, captain of Serenity. She's a transport
ship, Firefly class. Got a good crew: fighters, pilot, mechanic. We even
picked up a preacher for some reason, and a bona fide companion. There's
a doctor, too, took his genius sister outta some Alliance camp, so
they're keeping a low profile. You understand. You got a job, we can do
it. Don't much care what it is."

Mal2 :
Here's how it is: The Earth got used up, so we moved out and
terraformed a whole new galaxy of Earths, some rich and flush with the
new technologies, some not so much. The Central Planets, them was
formed the Alliance, waged war to bring everyone under their rule; a
few idiots tried to fight it, among them myself. I'm Malcolm Reynolds,
captain of Serenity. Shes a transport ship, Firefly class. Got a good
crew: fighters, pilot, mechanic. We even picked up a preacher for some
reason, and a bona fide companion. There's a doctor too, took his
genius sister out of some Alliance camp, so they're keeping a low
profile, you understand. You got a job, we can do it, don't much care
what it is.

The idea of hundreds of new Earths in the same system (which is
apparently the actual set up, damn that home schooled Joss) was
infuriating, but the 'whole galaxy of new Earths' was enough to send me
scrambling for the remote.

And the idea that they could terraform damn near anything, of any size
or any distance from the primary, and yet had to abandon Sol system is
so far beyond problematic it's physically painful, especially given that
they don't have star drives.

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 3:24:43 PM11/27/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
> > Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .
> >
> > I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
> > intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
> > not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
> > It dragged.
> >
> Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
> have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

AFTER!!!!!1!1111!!!11!!!!!!

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 3:24:55 PM11/27/16
In article <j89m3c1stn1p2u8ag...@4ax.com>,
+1

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 3:47:09 PM11/27/16
Wow. Thank you very much. I'd forgotten that Book narrated the opening
of several episodes. I acknowledge, now that you've refreshed my memory,
that you've pointed out several times the problem with terraforming
Earth-like planets orbiting non-identical suns and in different orbits.

EGK

Nov 27, 2016, 3:51:02 PM11/27/16
Ironic that after all the complaints about how Fox mistreated the series
that Joss wouldn't have raised hell about how they marketed the movie.

At any rate, I was one of the big fans of the show that was disappointed by
the movie. A lot of the characters just felt off and I agree with Adam that
they tried going too dark (Wash for example). I just think Joss tried
doing too much and the plot was a jumbled mess.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 27, 2016, 4:03:05 PM11/27/16
On the blu-ray set the two part "Serenity" are the first episodes. This
is the blu-ray order of episodes:

1. Serenity - Part 1 & 2
2. The Train Job
3. Bushwacked
4. Shindig
5. Safe
6. Our Mrs. Reynolds
7. Jaynestown
8. Out of Gas
9. Ariel
10. War Stories
11. Trash
12. The Message
13. Heart of Gold
14. Objects in Space

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 4:03:32 PM11/27/16
Yeah, killing off Wash was unforgiveable as I wasn't interested in the
story continuing without him. Wash was needed for the humor. If there
was another movie, it would have to be more dark story.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 27, 2016, 4:10:08 PM11/27/16
Same here! I just barely tolerated it when it originally aired until
around the half way point when it got a whole lot better. But if you
watch it in order it's an entirely different series that's actually
really good.

> Also, every variation of the opening narration made my skin crawl. If
> it hadn't been Joss, I'd have never made it past any of them.
>
>> The theatrical movie Serenity was entertaining, but if anyone had asked
>> my opinion if I'd prefer comedy versus an extremely dark story set in
>> the Firefly universe, I'd have chosen comedy.

I really liked the movie. I came really, really close to watching it
last night. I was torn between watching it (because of Ron Glass'
death) or waiting for the eventual 4K release. It's Universal movie,
they are on the 4K bandwagon and Serenity would be a perfect movie for
them to showcase 4K. I decided to go ahead and watch it but when I put
the disc in, it downloaded the latest previews which just happened to
include a commercial for 4K (although not Serenity in 4K). That just
super-reinforced my desire to wait so I pulled out the disc.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 4:12:23 PM11/27/16
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>On 11/27/2016 10:26 AM, EGK wrote:

>>>Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
>>>have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

>>The theatrical movie, Serenity is after the series. The original 2-part TV
>>movie, also titled Serenity should be viewed first.

>On the blu-ray set the two part "Serenity" are the first episodes. This
>is the blu-ray order of episodes:

Thanks for posting the intended viewing order.

The Wikipedia page sez that Josh and Fox fought about the aspect ratio,
that Josh deliberately pissed off the network bosses by filming the pilot
in 16:9 and staging the characters in such a way that it couldn't be
center cut down to 4:3 and it would defeat P&S. Fox was thinking about
not pissing off viewers in 2002 watching on NTSC tvs (which was everybody)
and Joss was thinking about future home video sales when 16:9 tvs would
be common.

It says that the rest of the episodes were meant to be P&S for 4:3.

Is the Blu-Ray 16:9 or 4:3?

Michael Black

Nov 27, 2016, 4:28:42 PM11/27/16
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, anim8rfsk wrote:

> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>>> I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
>>> intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
>>> not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
>>> It dragged.
>>>
>> Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
>> have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.
>
> AFTER!!!!!1!1111!!!11!!!!!!

Okay. So I'll have to watch the series again before I watch the movie.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 4:31:51 PM11/27/16
In article <o1fglu$ttr$2...@dont-email.me>,
It just requires magic technology at a level that would let you inhabit
every bit of rock (and maybe gas) in Sol system *and* fix the Earth to
boot. Why the Hell would you spend decades moving to another system?

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 4:33:58 PM11/27/16
In article <o1fi11$82v$1...@dont-email.me>,
+1

> > Also, every variation of the opening narration made my skin crawl. If
> > it hadn't been Joss, I'd have never made it past any of them.
> >
> >> The theatrical movie Serenity was entertaining, but if anyone had asked
> >> my opinion if I'd prefer comedy versus an extremely dark story set in
> >> the Firefly universe, I'd have chosen comedy.
> >

> I really liked the movie. I came really, really close to watching it
> last night. I was torn between watching it (because of Ron Glass'
> death) or waiting for the eventual 4K release. It's Universal movie,
> they are on the 4K bandwagon and Serenity would be a perfect movie for
> them to showcase 4K. I decided to go ahead and watch it but when I put
> the disc in, it downloaded the latest previews which just happened to
> include a commercial for 4K (although not Serenity in 4K). That just
> super-reinforced my desire to wait so I pulled out the disc.

I'm not so sure about 4K for Serenity. Those Maya graphics may not be
intended to be seen too clearly. :)

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 4:37:21 PM11/27/16
In article <o1fhjq$4te$1...@dont-email.me>,
That's The Netflix order too.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 27, 2016, 5:09:31 PM11/27/16
On 11/27/2016 10:19 AM, Michael Black wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2016, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. . . .
>>
>> I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
>> intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
>> not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
>> It dragged.
>>
> Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I
> now have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

The movie comes after the series and wraps up the mystery behind Summer
Glau.

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Fall 2016 survey began Sep 01 and will end Nov 30

EGK

Nov 27, 2016, 5:13:03 PM11/27/16
On Sun, 27 Nov 2016 13:03:03 -0800, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 11/27/2016 10:26 AM, EGK wrote:

>>> Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I now
>>> have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.
>>
>> The theatrical movie, Serenity is after the series. The original 2-part TV
>> movie, also titled Serenity should be viewed first.
>>

>On the blu-ray set the two part "Serenity" are the first episodes. This
>is the blu-ray order of episodes:

Yes. This is how I watched them last summer since I was watching the bluray
then the theatrical movie after. The series makes a lot more sense in this
order.

alvey

Nov 27, 2016, 5:16:28 PM11/27/16
On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 09:33:10 -0800, jess stone wrote:

Play School

alvey

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 6:02:41 PM11/27/16
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>On 11/27/2016 10:19 AM, Michael Black wrote:

>>>I agree. For one thing, on second viewing, I could watch the episodes in
>>>intended broadcast order and not in the order shown by Fox, although I'm
>>>not second guessing Fox's decision to withhold the pilot initially.
>>>It dragged.

>>Should you watch the movie before or after the rest of the series? I
>>now have both, but can't remember where the movie lay.

>The movie comes after the series and wraps up the mystery behind Summer
>Glau.

The Wikipedia page claims that the men with "hands of blue" was a demand
by the network suits. That's oddly specific interference.

Can anyone recommend a memorable Summer Glau performance in which she's
not a supernatural being?

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 27, 2016, 7:15:10 PM11/27/16
The Unit.

Michael Black

Nov 27, 2016, 7:18:39 PM11/27/16
Because you have faster than light transport, so distance means nothing.

Heinlein's juveniles were mostly about this solar system, though there was
"terraforming" on Ganymede. Mars was hospitable, though you needed
breathing masks. Venus was okay, but hot and dangerous away from the
colonies. But then they got faster than light transport, so they did
visit other systems, in search of planets just like old earth.

Of course, there was O'Neil's space colony idea, which kept things close
but didn't require terraforming planets. It did mean using resources, but
most of it came from the asteroid belt, and that doesn't really count.

Michael

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 8:53:13 PM11/27/16
In article <o1fss0$frl$2...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 11/27/2016 3:02 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> >> The movie comes after the series and wraps up the mystery behind Summer
> >> Glau.
> >
> > The Wikipedia page claims that the men with "hands of blue" was a demand
> > by the network suits. That's oddly specific interference.
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a memorable Summer Glau performance in which she's
> > not a supernatural being?
> >
> The Unit.

CRACKLE - Sequestered, was it?

First time I ever saw her, as herself, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, although
it can be argued that Summer is a supernatural being in real life.

Wasn't she Rah's al Ghul's daughter or something on ARROW and then they
just forgot about it and made somebody else his daughter instead?

She wasn't supernatural in ANGEL was she?

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 9:00:36 PM11/27/16
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

No, they don't. Joss is very specific about that. There is *no* FTL
drive in the Firefly universe. All of it takes place in the same solar
system, that contains a whole galaxy of Earths.

> Heinlein's juveniles were mostly about this solar system, though there was
> "terraforming" on Ganymede. Mars was hospitable, though you needed
> breathing masks. Venus was okay, but hot and dangerous away from the
> colonies. But then they got faster than light transport, so they did
> visit other systems, in search of planets just like old earth.
>
> Of course, there was O'Neil's space colony idea, which kept things close
> but didn't require terraforming planets. It did mean using resources, but
> most of it came from the asteroid belt, and that doesn't really count.
>
> Michael

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 27, 2016, 9:22:19 PM11/27/16
But then how did they *get* to the other galaxy?!?!

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 27, 2016, 9:25:05 PM11/27/16
16:9

Extras include:
commentary tracks, Deleted Scenes, a Gag Reel and Alan Tudyk's Audition
and more.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Firefly-The-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/815/#Review

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 27, 2016, 9:34:20 PM11/27/16
I'm pretty sure she is. ;-)

> Wasn't she Rah's al Ghul's daughter or something on ARROW and then they
> just forgot about it and made somebody else his daughter instead?
>
> She wasn't supernatural in ANGEL was she?

I think she was a ballerina forced to perform over and over again. I
guess technically her characters in Terminator and Dollhouse weren't
supernatural but they weren't regular humans either.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 27, 2016, 9:50:55 PM11/27/16
Thank you

anim8rfsk

Nov 27, 2016, 10:50:03 PM11/27/16
In article <o1g4ab$pqu$1...@dont-email.me>,
Well, they use 'galaxy' wrong so it's unclear what they mean or where
they are.

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/The_Verse

The Verse is a colloquialism for "the universe," all the region of outer
space known to mankind. This region is limited to the solar system and
the system of stars, planets, and moons colonized by those who
left Earth-That-Was.

System

The star system is a star cluster, of the likes of the triple star
system Alpha Centauri. It consists of five main sequence stars, around
which orbit an assortment of 7 protostars, 6 gas giants, three separate
asteroid belts, 75 planets, and 149 moons.[1] Four of the main sequence
stars orbit a central star.

All the worlds that make up the 'Verse have two names, a Sino (Chinese)
name and Anglo (English) name. Sometimes, only one is used officially.
This is not the case with the five main sequence stars. The Sino names
of the five stars are based on the old-world concept of the Five Chinese
Constellations. The Anglo names are given by the actual
temperature-spectral color of the sun, with the exception of two which
are yellow, named Georgia and Kalidasa.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 28, 2016, 12:23:14 AM11/28/16
On 11/27/2016 5:53 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
You owe me ice cream. :D

> Wasn't she Rah's al Ghul's daughter or something on ARROW and then they
> just forgot about it and made somebody else his daughter instead?
>
> She wasn't supernatural in ANGEL was she?

Ubiquitous

Dec 4, 2016, 8:32:22 PM12/4/16
In article <9c405ab5-95bd-4e40...@googlegroups.com>, snum...@aol.com wrote:
>On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 12:33:09 PM UTC-5, jess stone wrote:

>> http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
>>
>> This week’s question...
>
>Easy ... Lost - One of the best shows ever ... that when they totally screwed
>both the ending and the fans simultaneously seems it to have left it in the trashcan
>for me ... when they released it again on demand ... I watched the first 20
>minutes or so ... recalled both how great it was and where they ended it and
>turned it off never to watch a minute of it again ...

I had the same reaction when SFC started playing it.

--
The old Soviet leaders had it right. Our destruction comes from within:
Moochers, parasites, and Obama.

Ubiquitous

Dec 4, 2016, 8:37:11 PM12/4/16
In article <anim8rfsk-EB29A...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net wrote:
>In article <o1dkpo$fg2$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>> Firefly is actually better on second viewing IMO. I really liked Monk
>> when it originally aired but can't see myself ever watching it again. I
>> own tons of shows on DVD/blu-ray. I used to be able to keep up with
>> watching them but now I have multiple seasons of multiple shows still in
>> the shrinkwrap. I was keeping up with Once Upon a Time on blu-ray until
>> the last season when for the first time I fell behind and didn't watch
>> it before the new one. The only other series I'm still buying and
>> watching again is Game of Thrones but I haven't gotten around to buying
>> the newest season yet.
>
>I really liked Monk too but the constant revisionist history just became
>infuriating. And the finale belongs in the 'worst ever' thread.

I don't recall his background, other than the death of his wife caused his
mental problems, but I lost interest when it became gimmicky, eg., "Monk
has to investigate a murder in a garbage dump", i.e., "what situation can
we put him in that we can milk his mental problems for humour?".

--
Crooked Hillary demands a vote recount--except in states she barely
won. Apparently, those were accurately tabulated.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 4, 2016, 9:16:53 PM12/4/16
That was one of the retcons. Originally the death of Monk's wife was
made him crazy but in later seasons they established that he'd been a
nutjob since he was a kid.

Ubiquitous

Dec 5, 2016, 4:26:53 AM12/5/16
In article <o22ik4$eii$2...@dont-email.me>, dtr...@sonic.net wrote:
>On 11/29/2016 5:42 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net wrote:

>>> I really liked Monk too but the constant revisionist history just became
>>> infuriating. And the finale belongs in the 'worst ever' thread.
>>
>> I don't recall his background, other than the death of his wife caused his
>> mental problems, but I lost interest when it became gimmicky, eg., "Monk
>> has to investigate a murder in a garbage dump", i.e., "what situation can
>> we put him in that we can milk his mental problems for humour?".
>
>That was one of the retcons. Originally the death of Monk's wife was
>made him crazy but in later seasons they established that he'd been a
>nutjob since he was a kid.

I am glad I bailed when I did!

jgro...@hotmail.com

Dec 9, 2016, 8:08:57 PM12/9/16
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 11:33:09 AM UTC-6, jess stone wrote:
> http://www.avclub.com/article/what-tv-series-did-you-love-will-never-revisit-245058
>
> This week’s question...

Frasier and Cheers were good NBC shows. I'd recommend them to new viewers but for me: not rerun worthy to the level of Seinfeld. I've seen most Seinfelds at least 4 times.

Michael Black

Dec 9, 2016, 10:59:10 PM12/9/16
Yes, some recent shows have been rerunned to death.

On the other hand, "Get Smart" seemed to be rerun "forever" when I was a
kid, right at some time in the late afternoon so we could see it after
school. I would have thought that's enough, but I find myself watching it
on MeTV these days. Actually, a few years ago I bought the first season,
though admittedly the price was about ten dollars. So something can be
rerun a lot, but if you wait long enough, it may become hazy enough that
it's worth watching again.

Michael

Micky DuPree

Dec 18, 2016, 12:50:38 AM12/18/16
Probably _Hill Street Blues_. It was groundbreaking in its time, paving
the way for the maturation of the American serial drama, but it looks
dated now. As Professor David Thorburn of MIT once said, "Realism is
just another style." In its day, _Dragnet_ was a realistic cop show.
In its day, _Hill Street Blues_ was a realistic cop show. But the
goalposts keep moving.

So while I salute _Hill Street_, I doubt I'll ever sit down and watch it
all over again. For those who have never seen it before, though, it
should still be entertaining, and it should provide insights into how
most American TV dramas came to be a hybrid of conventional series
(self-contained episodes) and serials (ongoing plot arcs across multiple
episodes).

-Micky

Obveeus

Dec 18, 2016, 8:36:16 AM12/18/16

On 12/18/2016 12:50 AM, Micky DuPree wrote:
> Probably _Hill Street Blues_. It was groundbreaking in its time, paving
> the way for the maturation of the American serial drama, but it looks
> dated now. As Professor David Thorburn of MIT once said, "Realism is
> just another style." In its day, _Dragnet_ was a realistic cop show.
> In its day, _Hill Street Blues_ was a realistic cop show. But the
> goalposts keep moving.

I don't think that there are any realistic cop shows on TV anymore.
Shows like BARNEY MILLER and HILL STREET BLUES were replaced by a modern
set of cop shows where there are serial killers every week and/or cops
that accidentally find themselves dating the criminal mastermind.

BTR1701

Dec 18, 2016, 9:10:45 AM12/18/16
Once again, Obveeus is needlessly wrong. THE WIRE and TRUE DETECTIVE are
two examples of realistic cop shows. Hell, even CHICAGO PD and SECRETS &
LIES are fairly realistic.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 18, 2016, 12:16:51 PM12/18/16
Micky DuPree <MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:

>Probably _Hill Street Blues_. It was groundbreaking in its time, paving
>the way for the maturation of the American serial drama, but it looks
>dated now. As Professor David Thorburn of MIT once said, "Realism is
>just another style." In its day, _Dragnet_ was a realistic cop show.
>In its day, _Hill Street Blues_ was a realistic cop show. But the
>goalposts keep moving.

I don't agree with this statement. Dragnet fictionalized actual police
cases, but there was nothing realistic about it. The actors weren't
trying to act and the dialogue was deliberately stilted. As we all know,
producer and star Jack Webb produced the tv show on a radio program
budget. He hit upon a formula on radio that found an audience and carried
it onto tv. Because no one acted at all, he didn't have to pay for rehearsals.

Hill Street Blues was going for melodrama set around a police precinct,
and gave personalities to recurring and regular characters. I don't know
to what extent they fictionalized actual police cases, but they certainly
weren't doing Mannix-style shooting scenes.

A lot of the main characters had trademarks and behaved rather predictably,
so let's not accuse them of attempting realism, just entertainment.

I wasn't as fond of it as a lot of people were when it first aired. I
watched a lot of it in second run, very little in first run. It had its
good moments, but I found it overpraised. . . .

Shadow

Dec 18, 2016, 12:31:36 PM12/18/16
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 08:10:38 -0600, BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Chicago PD ?
Yep, it's realistic. Shoot all the poor guys, say "yes SIR" to
the rich ones, and take bribes.
Why watch a series, if it's on the news every day ?
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

EGK

Dec 18, 2016, 12:31:57 PM12/18/16
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 17:15:24 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>
wrote:
I loved Hill Street and it paved the way for NYPD Blue which was one of the
best shows of it's time. NYPD just updated the melodrama for the most part
while concentrating on the detectives rather than the rank and file cops.
Hill street was much more an ensemble show and that gave it a sense of
realism.

The Wire upped the ante by virtue of being on pay cable. They didn't have
the same network censors to deal with and they also concentrated a lot on
the criminal element. There was still a ton of melodrama in it.

Something I find amusing is one of my favorites this year is the updated
Lethal Weapon. That's a complete throwback to 70's or 80's shows where
realism is thrown out the window but I'm digging it.

Shadow

Dec 18, 2016, 12:55:38 PM12/18/16
On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 12:31:53 -0500, EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>Something I find amusing is one of my favorites this year is the updated
>Lethal Weapon. That's a complete throwback to 70's or 80's shows where
>realism is thrown out the window but I'm digging it.

+1
= Miami Vice

jgro...@hotmail.com

Dec 20, 2016, 8:01:46 PM12/20/16
Barney Miller still holds up in script quality. Some episodes were more cliched and corny, but the best episodes still have legs.

My favorite roll call scene in HSB is when they are ordered to turn their unauthorized weapons and everyone starts dumping stuff on the tables. Any episode with Sal Benedetto is awesome. Nice to see Dennis Franz at the Emmys.

David Johnston

Dec 20, 2016, 8:59:08 PM12/20/16
On 12/20/2016 6:46 PM, peedu wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 17:01:43 -0800, jgrove24 wrote:
>

>> Barney Miller still holds up in script quality. Some episodes were more
>> cliched and corny, but the best episodes still have legs.
>
> OH BULLSHIT! /BULLSHIT!/ */BULLSHIT!!/*
>
> Shit show then, even shitier show now!
>
> You and others have a love affair with a one of the shitiest shows of the
> 70's and TV, period.
>
> No wonder some the shit that should die is still around!

There's a whiff of desperation in the way you keep changing your name in
order to inform us that you have no taste.

Trimble Bracegirdle

Dec 20, 2016, 9:26:10 PM12/20/16
"Maverick" - Jack Kelly, James Garner, Roger Moore 1957-1962
plus some sequels. "Support Your Local Gunfighter" - "Support Your Local
Sheriff"

Comedy Western series of my fond memory - but not watch again now.
To old .
I will still watch James Garner's "The Rockford Files"
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse (We Are In The UK)

David Johnston

Dec 21, 2016, 12:16:46 PM12/21/16
On 12/21/2016 7:15 AM, Davey Dick wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:59:10 -0700, David Johnston wrote:
>
>> There's a whiff of desperation in the way you keep changing your name in
>> order to inform us
>
> You and others keep harping on this, so I will continue the practice as
> it annoys the shit out of you and others! BAWWHAHAAHAA!
>
> So if you wish to continue on that path, accept the consequences!
> Oh...where have we heard that one.....BAWAHHAAA!
>
> I would consider maybe thinking about reviewing this practice if you
> dolts would act like adults and quit hiding behind a killfile...

You are so, very, very terrified by the idea that people aren't
interested in you.

Your Name

Dec 22, 2016, 3:39:47 PM12/22/16
In article <o3cp7u$1t4v$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Trimble Bracegirdle
<no-...@never.spam> wrote:

> "Maverick" - Jack Kelly, James Garner, Roger Moore 1957-1962
> plus some sequels. "Support Your Local Gunfighter" - "Support Your Local
> Sheriff"
>
> Comedy Western series of my fond memory - but not watch again now.
> To old .
> I will still watch James Garner's "The Rockford Files"

Sometimes it can be surprising who you see when re-watching old shows -
actors you recognise from later shows but didn't pay any attention to
first time around.

I've been watching re-runs of "Andromeda"*. As well as obviously Lexa
Doig as Andromeda / Rommie and later in Continuum, I've so far also
seen the actors who played Stargate SG-1's Te'alc and Daniel Jackson,
and Dark Matters' Three and Six (who was also in Continuum with Lexa).

* I haven't seen it before, so not really a "revisit". Yes, it's
sub-par and inconsistent, and Kevin Sorbo is definitely a
talentless ham-and-cheese "actor" with a massive ego. It's also
not really helped by having Majel Barrett in charge and what
must be her interference in constantly changing the characters'
costume, hair, and make-up - at least one of the female characters
is changed almost every episode!

Your Name

Dec 22, 2016, 8:00:37 PM12/22/16
In article <231220160939512034%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> In article <o3cp7u$1t4v$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Trimble Bracegirdle
> <no-...@never.spam> wrote:
> >
> > "Maverick" - Jack Kelly, James Garner, Roger Moore 1957-1962
> > plus some sequels. "Support Your Local Gunfighter" - "Support Your Local
> > Sheriff"
> >
> > Comedy Western series of my fond memory - but not watch again now.
> > To old .
> > I will still watch James Garner's "The Rockford Files"
>
> Sometimes it can be surprising who you see when re-watching old shows -
> actors you recognise from later shows but didn't pay any attention to
> first time around.
>
> I've been watching re-runs of "Andromeda". As well as obviously Lexa
> Doig as Andromeda / Rommie and later in Continuum, I've so far also
> seen the actors who played Stargate SG-1's Te'alc and Daniel Jackson,
> and Dark Matters' Three and Six (who was also in Continuum with Lexa).

I forgot Star Trek: The Next Generation's Q.

Ubiquitous

Dec 23, 2016, 6:33:37 AM12/23/16
Your...@YourISP.com wrote:

>I've been watching re-runs of "Andromeda"*. As well as obviously Lexa
>Doig as Andromeda / Rommie and later in Continuum, I've so far also
>seen the actors who played Stargate SG-1's Te'alc and Daniel Jackson,
>and Dark Matters' Three and Six (who was also in Continuum with Lexa).
>

>* I haven't seen it before, so not really a "revisit". Yes, it's
> sub-par and inconsistent, and Kevin Sorbo is definitely a
> talentless ham-and-cheese "actor" with a massive ego. It's also
> not really helped by having Majel Barrett in charge and what
> must be her interference in constantly changing the characters'
> costume, hair, and make-up - at least one of the female characters
> is changed almost every episode!

I don't remember that show being bad, well, not in the begining, anyway,
but Majel Barrett was in charge of her late husband's show concept Earth:
Final Conflict. It also started good and quickly went to crap.

--
"In Defense of the Electoral College"
-- Slate, 2012

"The Electoral College Is an Instrument of White Supremacy -- and Sexism"
-- Slate, 2016

I wonder what changed between 2012 and 2016, Slate?

anim8rfsk

Dec 23, 2016, 9:01:26 AM12/23/16
In article <LIKdna55JYkUlsDF...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Your...@YourISP.com wrote:
>
> >I've been watching re-runs of "Andromeda"*. As well as obviously Lexa
> >Doig as Andromeda / Rommie and later in Continuum, I've so far also
> >seen the actors who played Stargate SG-1's Te'alc and Daniel Jackson,
> >and Dark Matters' Three and Six (who was also in Continuum with Lexa).
> >

> >* I haven't seen it before, so not really a "revisit". Yes, it's
> > sub-par and inconsistent, and Kevin Sorbo is definitely a
> > talentless ham-and-cheese "actor" with a massive ego. It's also
> > not really helped by having Majel Barrett in charge and what
> > must be her interference in constantly changing the characters'
> > costume, hair, and make-up - at least one of the female characters
> > is changed almost every episode!
>
> I don't remember that show being bad, well, not in the begining, anyway,
> but Majel Barrett was in charge of her late husband's show concept Earth:
> Final Conflict. It also started good and quickly went to crap.

Not Majel's fault. They forced her out by the end of season one, and
that's when it turned to crap, and amazingly got worse and worse with
each new season.

Dimensional Traveler

Dec 23, 2016, 11:04:30 AM12/23/16
I remember the first season of 'Andromeda' being not bad. I also
remember it being Sorbo that was the one behind pushing the Executive
Producer (Wolfe?) out and turning it into "Hercules in Space".

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

Ubiquitous

Dec 23, 2016, 12:24:43 PM12/23/16
In article <o3jhrk$q4$2...@dont-email.me>, dtr...@sonic.net wrote:
>On 12/23/2016 6:01 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>> I don't remember that show being bad, well, not in the begining, anyway,
>>> but Majel Barrett was in charge of her late husband's show concept
>>> Earth: Final Conflict. It also started good and quickly went to crap.
>>
>> Not Majel's fault. They forced her out by the end of season one, and
>> that's when it turned to crap, and amazingly got worse and worse with
>> each new season.

Earth: Final Conflict?

>I remember the first season of 'Andromeda' being not bad. I also
>remember it being Sorbo that was the one behind pushing the Executive
>Producer (Wolfe?) out and turning it into "Hercules in Space".

Yeah, they dropped all the interesting story acts by the end of the second
season. I rememeber reading a script for the final ep by Wolfe that was
sppsd to tie up all the loose ends and wrap things up.

--
"Man kicked off JetBlue flight for questioning why Ivanka Trump was on it."
#FakeNews

anim8rfsk

Dec 23, 2016, 1:08:14 PM12/23/16
In article <o3jhrk$q4$2...@dont-email.me>,
Yes. I was talking about Earth Final Conflict. :)

anim8rfsk

Dec 23, 2016, 1:09:15 PM12/23/16
In article <JdGdnTINrO5OwMDF...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <o3jhrk$q4$2...@dont-email.me>, dtr...@sonic.net wrote:

> >> Not Majel's fault. They forced her out by the end of season one, and
> >> that's when it turned to crap, and amazingly got worse and worse with
> >> each new season.
>
> Earth: Final Conflict?

Yes. It's final season is still the benchmark for 'worst science
fiction show ever made' - Ironically tied with the final season of
ANDROMEDA.

> >I remember the first season of 'Andromeda' being not bad. I also
> >remember it being Sorbo that was the one behind pushing the Executive
> >Producer (Wolfe?) out and turning it into "Hercules in Space".
>
> Yeah, they dropped all the interesting story acts by the end of the second
> season. I rememeber reading a script for the final ep by Wolfe that was
> sppsd to tie up all the loose ends and wrap things up.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 23, 2016, 3:07:53 PM12/23/16
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>Earth: Final Conflict? . . .

>Yes. It's final season is still the benchmark for 'worst science
>fiction show ever made' - Ironically tied with the final season of
>ANDROMEDA.

anim is E:FC-level wrong here. While Andromeda Season 5 had greatly reduced
per-episode spending and cut the main cast down, and suffered from Lexa
Doig's absense, Brandy Ledford wasn't a bad addition to the cast.

I continue to maintain that the lowest points of Andromeda were in a lot of
Season 3, in which the Nietzscheans were the focus, and much of Season 4,
in which it had become amazingly clear that the writers couldn't plot
their way out of a paper sack.

Season 5 got rid of most of the heavy-handed plotting that went nowhere
in Season 4. It wasn't good, but it was less awful than the previous
two seasons.

Earth: Final Conflict was just on a mostly downward spiral after several
excellent Season 1 episodes, just got progressively worse season after season.
Even Season 1 had bad episodes (the Zo'or plots were all too formulaic),
but it was decent enough to let me stick with it.

Nothing really comes close to E:FC bad.

Your Name

Dec 23, 2016, 4:26:16 PM12/23/16
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> Your...@YourISP.com wrote:
> >
> >I've been watching re-runs of "Andromeda"*. As well as obviously Lexa
> >Doig as Andromeda / Rommie and later in Continuum, I've so far also
> >seen the actors who played Stargate SG-1's Te'alc and Daniel Jackson,
> >and Dark Matters' Three and Six (who was also in Continuum with Lexa).
> >

> >* I haven't seen it before, so not really a "revisit". Yes, it's
> > sub-par and inconsistent, and Kevin Sorbo is definitely a
> > talentless ham-and-cheese "actor" with a massive ego. It's also
> > not really helped by having Majel Barrett in charge and what
> > must be her interference in constantly changing the characters'
> > costume, hair, and make-up - at least one of the female characters
> > is changed almost every episode!
>
> I don't remember that show being bad, well, not in the begining,

It's not "bad", just not that good either, largely due to ham-acting by
Sorbo and the inconsistencies and constant changes.

Worf... err, Tyr loses his wife and his son (a lie) and fake-mopes
around for all of two seconds before returning to normal in the next
episode. Trance lost her tail and changed costuming / make-up about
four times. Tyr lost his arm spikes. Rommie and Trance changed their
hair styles numerous times (Beka slightly fewer times). The entire
command bridge has been completely changed. And thats all within the
first two season!

Now in the third season they've started using silly arty camera work
(split screen, first-person views) to further drag the show down. :-\

> anyway, but Majel Barrett was in charge of her late husband's show
> concept Earth: Final Conflict. It also started good and quickly went
> to crap.

I only watched a few episodes of Earth: Final Conflict due to clashes
with other shows before we had a recorder. (I have got a couple of the
books.) It was okay at the start, but also suffered from constant
tweaking and changes (not the least of which being the "final conflict"
suddenly becoming the second-to-final conflict when a new bunch of
aliens were brought in).

YHVH

Dec 24, 2016, 8:28:13 AM12/24/16
Most of the live action shows I watched in the eighties. Dukes of Hazzard,
Fall Guy, Simon & Simon, Magnum P.I., Master Ninja, Night Court, Golden
Girls, 227, Diff'rent Strokes, Facts of Life, and pretty much anything
that's not The A-Team or Greatest American Hero.

David Johnston

Dec 24, 2016, 8:55:15 AM12/24/16
Fall Guy and Simon and Simon I lost interest in while they were on the
air. Magnum P.I. still holds up when I watch it.

Horace LaBadie

Dec 24, 2016, 9:28:10 AM12/24/16
In article <o3lul8$5mb$1...@dont-email.me>,
I still like Simon & Simon. I even like the original theme song.

David Johnston

Dec 24, 2016, 9:39:30 AM12/24/16
As I recall after the first season Simon and Simon underwent a format
change to something I really hated. Which I suppose is better than what
happened to Harry O.

Horace LaBadie

Dec 24, 2016, 10:11:08 AM12/24/16
In article <o3m188$e2b$3...@dont-email.me>,
The Simons opened their own agency, instead of working for their mentor
Myron.

They had Tim Reid as Downtown Brown, which was a plus.

Jim G.

Dec 24, 2016, 2:03:46 PM12/24/16
David Johnston sent the following on 12/24/2016 at 07:55 AM:
> Magnum P.I. still holds up when I watch it.

Yep. I still revisit the gang on a regular basis.

"I killed Hitler. I think I deserve some pie." -- Dean Winchester,
SUPERNATURAL