Fun With the Sierra Club

BTR1701

May 18, 2022, 12:14:04 AM5/18/22
So yesterday I got a solicitation from Michelle at the L.A. Chapter of the
Sierra Club wanting money so they could fight for the environment.

"We Missed Our Goal and We Still Need Your Help" it said.

It was basically a pitch to meet some goal to combat 'climate change' which is
widespread and rapidly intensifying while fossil fuel companies are drilling
and spilling and turning the earth into Mordor. "They're destroying our
outdoor spaces!" blared the flier.

And I'm reading this and thinking, destroying outdoor spaces? What about the
frakking Ballona Wetlands? So I did a search and I can't find any public
position the L.A. Sierra Club has taken on the vagrant infestation in the
federal and state protected environmentally sensitive Ballona Wetlands.
Nothing on the irreversible harm the vagrants are doing as they poop, piss,
cook meth, dump garbage, needles, crack pipes, and meth byproducts into this
sensitive ecosystem with the full blessing of the government officials who are
charged with protecting them from this kind of destruction.

This is a group that throws a fit whenever normal people try and use land for
anything productive. Try and build a shopping center or a housing development
and this group and others like it crawl out of the woodwork with shrieking
protests and injunctions. But a thousand derelicts descend on *the* major
environmental preserve in L.A. County and foul it to the point of destruction
and what do we get from them? Crickets.

So I wrote back to her:

Michelle,

How are you? I hope this letter finds you well.

Since you've brought up the specter of the destruction of our outdoor spaces,
I'd like to discuss the Ballona Wetlands with you. I used to bike through the
trails in Ballona Wetlands but can no longer do so due to the massive
encampment of vagrants there, which not only blocks any use of the public
trails, but creates both a physical and environmental danger.

Why, with all the money and political influence your organization has, do you
allow thousands of drug-addicted and mentally ill vagrants to dump all their
bodily waste, needles, toxic chemicals, and garbage into the wetlands?

I'll await the woke, politically correct, public relations word salad
non-answer that questions like this usually generate. It's disgusting. As the
premiere environmental advocacy group in the nation, you have no excuse for
your silence on this issue, and you feel no shame.

Cordially,

So far no response from Michelle or anyone else at the Sierra Club.

trotsky

May 18, 2022, 4:28:12 AM5/18/22
On 5/17/2022 11:13 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> So yesterday I got a solicitation from Michelle at the L.A. Chapter of the
> Sierra Club wanting money so they could fight for the environment.
>
> "We Missed Our Goal and We Still Need Your Help" it said.
>
> It was basically a pitch to meet some goal to combat 'climate change' which is
> widespread and rapidly intensifying while fossil fuel companies are drilling
> and spilling and turning the earth into Mordor. "They're destroying our
> outdoor spaces!" blared the flier.
>
> And I'm reading this and thinking, destroying outdoor spaces? What about the
> frakking Ballona Wetlands?

What the fuck are those and why should we care?

Rhino

May 18, 2022, 9:21:17 AM5/18/22
Colour me shocked!

--
Rhino

moviePig

May 18, 2022, 11:37:59 AM5/18/22
Maybe their responders can tell a question from a tirade...

BTR1701

May 18, 2022, 12:25:40 PM5/18/22
LOL! "Tirade"

Just a hoot...

moviePig

May 18, 2022, 12:49:43 PM5/18/22
Yes, 'tirade', i.e., "getting something off your chest" ...which is why
you posted a copy here. If you were really interested in hearing the
Sierra Club's position (or even enlisting their support), one hopes
you'd have had the good sense to leave the pitchforks in your car trunk.

Adam H. Kerman

May 18, 2022, 3:52:57 PM5/18/22
I was just about to predict that moviePig wouldn't know the definition
of tirade, but then I read his followup to you.

a prolonged outburst of bitter, outspoken denunciation

I hope that helps, moviePig. "prolonged" doesn't describe a brief letter.

RichA

May 18, 2022, 4:23:13 PM5/18/22
And the Sierra Club used to be considered a conservative and benign environmental organization. Now they sound like "Earth First."

RichA

May 18, 2022, 4:24:35 PM5/18/22
His question was legitimate and concerns a supposedly protected area. The last time the climate scum and agitators held
a rally in Toronto, they left so much garbage in their wake it looked like parts of New York in the 1970's. Hypocrites.

moviePig

May 18, 2022, 5:33:04 PM5/18/22
His *issue* might be legitimate, but his *question* was nonexistent.
Hence, my comment on his counting coup when there was no response.

BTR1701

May 18, 2022, 6:02:03 PM5/18/22
Simply not true:

moviePig

May 18, 2022, 6:32:51 PM5/18/22
Does that strike you as an invitation to meaningful dialogue?

BTR1701

May 18, 2022, 10:01:43 PM5/18/22
So we're just skipping over your lie that there was no question asked-- that
it was nonexistent?

moviePig

May 18, 2022, 10:55:15 PM5/18/22
Are you crazy? There is no more a question asked in your letter than
there is at the beginning of this paragraph.

BTR1701

May 19, 2022, 1:40:23 AM5/19/22
In article <ikihK.15834$zVe6....@fx43.iad>,
That's a perfectly legitimate question to ask of an environmental
advocacy group and it was most definitely existent.

trotsky

May 19, 2022, 3:46:14 AM5/19/22
Wow, you're really good at this. You don't have the fucking balls to
even comment on the mass shooting in Buffalo because you can't say
anything racist, so you run interference by spewing verbal vomit about
Sierra Club and Amber Heard. Again, you're a cowardly piece of shit.
But, moviepig, who seems intelligent, takes the bait every time instead
of calling you out for being a cowardly piece of shit. That's quite a coup!

moviePig

May 19, 2022, 10:29:15 AM5/19/22
Taken in isolation, it may be a legitimate question. However, your
letter as whole makes it something else. See my previous post.

BTR1701

May 19, 2022, 10:50:21 AM5/19/22
In article <XushK.46$vAW...@fx10.iad>,
It's a legitimate question regardless. And it was existent.

> However, your letter as whole makes it something else.

Nope.

moviePig

May 19, 2022, 11:54:38 AM5/19/22
Yep. And the practical proof of that is that nobody -- including you --
would expect a response to that letter or its alleged "question".

BTR1701

May 19, 2022, 12:06:58 PM5/19/22
And moviePig's burgeoning career as a self-described psychic explodes in
flames...

Ubiquitous

May 19, 2022, 2:11:36 PM5/19/22
In other words, BTR called you out on your strawman argument and you're trying
to deflect again. Sad!

--
Let's go Brandon!

moviePig

May 19, 2022, 3:13:51 PM5/19/22
You mean, you DID expect some sort of thoughtful response? That'd be
puzzling, in light of your subsequent statement:

"I'll await the woke, politically correct, public relations word
salad non-answer that questions like this usually generate."

But I might see the disconnect. You may feel that the sheer precision
of your verbal apoplexy would compel some busy soul to emit a measured
(or even contrite!) reply. Alas, your imagination well exceeds mine...

trotsky

May 19, 2022, 4:11:13 PM5/19/22
Of course it does, afaik you don't do sockpuppets.

The Horny Goat

May 19, 2022, 5:40:36 PM5/19/22

Or even in a more politically correct mode riding your bike on the
trails through this park.

After all if it's THAT overrun won't your tires be at risk of gaining
a needle or two? (And God help you if you hit a tree root and fall off
your bike...you might need a tetanus shot)

trotsky

May 20, 2022, 1:03:18 PM5/20/22
Meanwhile derp's burgeoning career as a master class sock puppeteer is going
great.