OT: Just to sow discord...

moviePig

Oct 22, 2021, 11:34:36 AM10/22/21

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 22, 2021, 1:01:04 PM10/22/21
moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>From Reddit:

>https://preview.redd.it/pi9baxi0waf41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=73f9f31fcc8a9c6691f0b878ea1355909c6268e9

That makes an argument that Joe Biden never should have been elected a
United States Senator, you blithering idiot, because the constituency he
represented, the state of Delaware, has too small a population.

You are unbelievably ignorant of history. The Semate itself,
representing state legislatures, was a compromise with slave owners. It
wasn't intended to have a bicameral legislature at first.

trotsky

Oct 22, 2021, 4:32:40 PM10/22/21
Are you stupid? We have a House of REPRESENTATIVES that represents each
state proportional to the population. We have a SENATE that represents
each state equally. How the motherfuck is this confusing?

BTR1701

Oct 22, 2021, 5:36:19 PM10/22/21
Maybe the idiot that came up with that meme ought to go back to grade school
and take a basic Civics class.

moviePig

Oct 22, 2021, 5:55:03 PM10/22/21
If you're saying it's inaccurate or even misleading, I don't understand.

moviePig

Oct 22, 2021, 5:56:09 PM10/22/21
I don't think anyone's confused, just dismayed.

BTR1701

Oct 22, 2021, 6:13:20 PM10/22/21
It's inaccurate and misleading because it implies, if not outright says, that
the purpose of the Senate is to represent the people.

That's not the Senate's purpose. The purpose of the Senate is to represent the
states. The purpose of the House is to represent the people.

Saying there's something wrong because the Senate represents the populace
unequally is like saying we need to fix the Supreme Court because the justices
don't represent all 370 million people equally. You might have a point if the
purpose of the Court was to be representative of the citizens in the first
place, but since that's not the purpose of the Court, it's a ridiculous
argument to make. And it's equally ridiculous when applied to the Senate.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 22, 2021, 6:24:03 PM10/22/21
That's truly pathetic. How exactly did they let you out of elementary
school?

moviePig

Oct 22, 2021, 6:44:28 PM10/22/21
On 10/22/2021 6:13 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Oct 22, 2021 at 2:54:59 PM PDT, "moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> Maybe the idiot that came up with that meme ought to go back to grade school
>>> and take a basic Civics class.
>>
>> If you're saying it's inaccurate or even misleading, I don't understand.
>
> It's inaccurate and misleading because it implies, if not outright says, that
> the purpose of the Senate is to represent the people.
>
> That's not the Senate's purpose. The purpose of the Senate is to represent the
> states. The purpose of the House is to represent the people.

Hmm... if the purpose of the Senate is to represent the states, then the
purpose of the House is to represent the *districts*. Meanwhile, I'd
have thought the purpose of *both* the Senate and the House was to
"represent the people", but what do I know...

But I will accept your charge of "inaccurate and misleading" if there's
a snowball's chance in hell that *anyone* here is unaware of all that.

> Saying there's something wrong because the Senate represents the populace
> unequally is like saying we need to fix the Supreme Court because the justices
> don't represent all 370 million people equally. You might have a point if the
> purpose of the Court was to be representative of the citizens in the first
> place, but since that's not the purpose of the Court, it's a ridiculous
> argument to make. And it's equally ridiculous when applied to the Senate.

The meme's argument, afaics, is in the context of current headlines,
where celebrity Senators appear to be ruling the country to a much
greater extent than "the people" do. It seems worth remembering...

BTR1701

Oct 22, 2021, 6:48:08 PM10/22/21
Those two Senators aren't ruling. The ruling is being done by those two, plus
50 others.

In other words, 52 senators are doing the ruling. Otherwise known as
democracy.

Ubiquitous

Oct 23, 2021, 3:25:39 AM10/23/21
In article <cSAcJ.3572$qe4...@fx45.iad>, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:

> From Reddit:
> https://preview.redd.it/pi9baxi0waf41.jpg

TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Ubiquitous

Oct 23, 2021, 3:26:41 AM10/23/21
pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> On 10/22/2021 5:36 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> "moviePig" <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> From Reddit:
>>> https://preview.redd.it/pi9baxi0waf41.jpg
>>
>> Maybe the idiot that came up with that meme ought to go back to grade
>> school and take a basic Civics class.
>
>If you're saying it's inaccurate or even misleading, I don't understand.

Ubiquitous

Oct 23, 2021, 3:30:04 AM10/23/21
pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> On 10/22/2021 6:13 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> If you're saying it's inaccurate or even misleading, I don't understand.
>>
>> It's inaccurate and misleading because it implies, if not outright says,
>> that the purpose of the Senate is to represent the people.
>>
>> That's not the Senate's purpose. The purpose of the Senate is to
>> represent the states. The purpose of the House is to represent the people.
>
>Hmm... if the purpose of the Senate is to represent the states, then the
>purpose of the House is to represent the *districts*. Meanwhile, I'd
>have thought the purpose of *both* the Senate and the House was to
>"represent the people", but what do I know...

\

trotsky

Oct 23, 2021, 2:30:42 PM10/23/21
Is that an elective then? In grade school?

trotsky

Oct 23, 2021, 2:32:38 PM10/23/21
Sure, a lot of armchair Constitutional Scholars out there lately.

trotsky

Oct 23, 2021, 2:34:20 PM10/23/21
At least he went. Near as I can tell you were confused and went to
alimentary school instead.

moviePig

Oct 23, 2021, 3:25:52 PM10/23/21
...where they teach Reader's Digest.

trotsky

Oct 23, 2021, 4:29:19 PM10/23/21
In a Civic.

RichA

Oct 24, 2021, 3:21:27 AM10/24/21
You are right. California should have one senator.

bruce bowser

Oct 24, 2021, 5:21:31 AM10/24/21
Alot like you. Pathological liar.

trotsky

Oct 24, 2021, 5:32:06 AM10/24/21
Is that how things work in your shithole country?

trotsky

Oct 24, 2021, 6:53:28 AM10/24/21
Agreed.

moviePig

Oct 24, 2021, 9:48:22 AM10/24/21
...to rule them all?

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2021, 10:09:57 AM10/24/21
Well, there you go talking to your sockpuppets again...

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous

Oct 24, 2021, 10:17:34 PM10/24/21