AMC joins the streaming wars

Alan Smithee

Oct 16, 2019, 8:03:39 PM10/16/19
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.html

LOS ANGELES — In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
viewing at home — from a movie theater chain.

AMC Entertainment, the largest multiplex operator in the world, will
introduce an iTunes-style online video store in the United States on
Tuesday, said Adam Aron, AMC’s president and chief executive. The
service, AMC Theaters On Demand, will offer about 2,000 films for sale
or rent after their theatrical runs, just as iTunes, Amazon and other
video-on-demand retailers do.

The movie theater industry has long been at odds with online video. Why
trek to theaters if thousands of movies are available at the click of a
button at home or on your phone? Sure, new films do not arrive on V.O.D.
until they have played in theaters for an exclusive period of about 90
days. But that “windowing” practice, many analysts believe, will become
untenable as streaming services like Netflix gain clout.

Hollywood’s five biggest movie studios — Disney, Warner Bros.,
Universal, Sony and Paramount — have made deals with AMC for catalog and
new-release movies. Although DVDs still account for billions of dollars
in sales for studios, more profit now comes from digital downloads and
rentals.

“For us, it’s all upside,” said Ron Sanders, president of worldwide
distribution and home entertainment at Warner. “Most of our other big
digital partners are focused on multiple categories — music, books. The
great thing about AMC is that movies are the whole focus.”

Films will cost roughly $3 to $5.99 to rent and $9.99 to $19.99 to buy.

Mr. Aron, who took over AMC in early 2016 after running the Starwood
hotel chain, has been more willing to embrace change than many other
theater executives, in part because he is not blind to his industry’s
challenges. Moviegoing in North America — across the chains — has been
roughly flat for years, leaving theaters to scratch for growth by
charging more for tickets and concessions, a strategy that has its limits.

“Our theater business is mature,” Mr. Aron said. “There is a high-growth
opportunity in this digital expansion.”

He called home entertainment a “natural” extension of AMC’s core
business — one designed to capitalize on the chain’s fast-growing
customer loyalty program, AMC Stubs, which covers more than 20 million
households. He said the AMC Stubs database gave the company a marketing
advantage for movie rentals and downloads.

For instance, AMC Stubs members bought about six million tickets to “The
Lion King” over the summer. When “The Lion King” becomes available
digitally on Tuesday, “those people will all get a personalized message
from AMC saying that they can now enjoy it at home through AMC Theaters
On Demand,” said Elizabeth Frank, AMC’s chief content officer.

Some theater chains in other countries already operate on-demand
divisions (Cineplex in Canada is one), but AMC is the first major
exhibitor in the United States to do so. Mr. Aron said AMC had been
working on the service for more than two years. It was close to
introducing AMC Theaters On Demand this summer but held off to fine-tune
the technology and online store design.

anim8rfsk

Oct 16, 2019, 8:09:09 PM10/16/19
I haven't been to a movie theater in some time, but do they really make you
give them your email?

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

shawn

Oct 16, 2019, 8:17:43 PM10/16/19
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 17:09:05 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
Note that he was talking about AMC Stubs members. I would guess that
is some sort of club people sign up for that includes email as well as
billing information and other data. So it's not something as simple as
every movie goer giving up their email address.

anim8rfsk

Oct 16, 2019, 9:21:20 PM10/16/19
gotcha. thanks!
Message has been deleted

number6

Oct 16, 2019, 10:07:07 PM10/16/19
On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.html
>
> LOS ANGELES — In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
> Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
> viewing at home — from a movie theater chain.
>
> AMC Entertainment, the largest multiplex operator in the world, will
> introduce an iTunes-style online video store in the United States on
> Tuesday, said Adam Aron, AMC’s president and chief executive. The
> service, AMC Theaters On Demand, will offer about 2,000 films for sale
> or rent after their theatrical runs, just as iTunes, Amazon and other
> video-on-demand retailers do.

AMC Theaters is a Chinese owned company except for about 1/4 they sold to a private
equity firm a couple of years ago ...
DEMOCRACY FOR HONG KONG ... but AMC will show Democracy for King Kong ...

moviePig

Oct 16, 2019, 10:20:41 PM10/16/19
On 10/16/2019 9:35 PM, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
>> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.html
>>
>> LOS ANGELES — In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
>> Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
>> viewing at home — from a movie theater chain.
>
> LOL, Well slap me in the mouth and call me prescient...
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/bU_NSEfosiM/ZRo7sZOCDwAJ

As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

A Friend

Oct 16, 2019, 10:27:51 PM10/16/19
In article <UdQpF.47511$KB2....@fx02.iad>, moviePig
<pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2019 9:35 PM, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.ht
> >> ml
> >>
> >> LOS ANGELES ‹ In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
> >> Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
> >> viewing at home ‹ from a movie theater chain.
> >
> > LOL, Well slap me in the mouth and call me prescient...
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/bU_NSEfosiM/ZRo7sZOCDwAJ
>
> As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...

Ambient noise and endless distractions. Winning!

anim8rfsk

Oct 16, 2019, 10:33:18 PM10/16/19
Wed, 16 Oct 2019 19:20:35 -0700 moviePig<pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2019 9:35 PM, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
> > > https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.ht
> > > ml
> > >
> > > LOS ANGELES — In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
> > > Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
> > > viewing at home — from a movie theater chain.
> >
> > LOL, Well slap me in the mouth and call me prescient...
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/bU_NSEfosiM/ZRo7sZOCDwAJ
>
> As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...

Just the 'going out' experience.

Ian J. Ball

Oct 16, 2019, 11:03:47 PM10/16/19
In article <0001HW.23580A6A02...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Wed, 16 Oct 2019 19:20:35 -0700 moviePig<pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> > > LOL, Well slap me in the mouth and call me prescient...
> > >
> > > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/bU_NSEfosiM/ZRo7sZOCDwAJ
> >
> > As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...
>
> Just the 'going out' experience.

Just the "BIG screen". I can't see any other draw, really.

--
"Shall we sit and ponder the futility of caring?" - Morotia M. Black (aka.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 16, 2019, 11:52:47 PM10/16/19
On 10/16/2019 8:03 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article <0001HW.23580A6A02...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>> As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...
>>
>> Just the 'going out' experience.
>
> Just the "BIG screen". I can't see any other draw, really.

Given the dividing of theatres into ever more smaller screens and the
huge TV sets available now are you sure that shouldn't be "Just the
"SMALL screen"."?

--
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 17, 2019, 12:23:13 AM10/17/19
A Friend wrote:
>moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...

>Ambient noise and endless distractions. Winning!

Theaters used to add the exhibition of film. That was something of
value, at least to me.

A Friend

Oct 17, 2019, 8:09:16 AM10/17/19
In article <qo8qbc$dqq$1...@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
There are some films that should be seen with a crowd, no argument
there.

BTR1701

Oct 17, 2019, 8:59:41 AM10/17/19
In article <UdQpF.47511$KB2....@fx02.iad>,
moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2019 9:35 PM, thinbl...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 8:03:39 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
> >> https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/business/media/amc-theaters-streaming.ht
> >> ml
> >>
> >> LOS ANGELES — In a sign of just how much streaming is changing
> >> Hollywood, movie fans will soon be able to rent and buy films for
> >> viewing at home — from a movie theater chain.
> >
> > LOL, Well slap me in the mouth and call me prescient...
> >
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.arts.tv/bU_NSEfosiM/ZRo7sZOCDwAJ
>
> As TVs keep improving, it gets harder to see what theaters add...

Well, when I'm at home, I can't get a guy to sit right in front of me
and light up his phone every 30 seconds...

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 17, 2019, 11:53:41 AM10/17/19
Well, that too. Visual puns that work with a crowd don't always work
when one is viewing television alone. Think about the WOPR in WarGames.
The computer is introduced with the computer scientist who serves as its
main technician. The actor looks like Wimpy from the Popeye comic strip.

But I am talking about literal film projection on a big screen. I
generally dislike digital projection as I am well aware of how much
information is available as digital pixels, versus film grain since the
1930s.

Barry Margolin

Oct 20, 2019, 4:26:59 PM10/20/19
In article <atropos-7CB6D6...@news.giganews.com>,
You probably don't have teenage kids. :)

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA