Re: Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade in landmark abortion decision

Baby Part Sales, Inc.

Jun 24, 2022, 5:25:05 PM6/24/22
In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>
Minnesota Molly Shitbag <mollyth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm a homosexual so it doesn't matter.

The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
practice altogether.

The ruling came in the court's opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson
Women’s Health Organization, which centered on a Mississippi law
that banned abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The Republican-
led state of Mississippi asked the Supreme Court to strike down
a lower court ruling that stopped the 15-week abortion ban from
taking place.

"We end this opinion where we began. Abortion presents a
profound moral question. The Constitution does not prohibit the
citizens of each State from regulating or prohibiting abortion.
Roe and Casey arrogated that authority. We now overrule those
decisions and return that authority to the people and their
elected representatives," Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the
court's opinion.

Alito's opinion began with an exploration and criticism of Roe
v. Wade and its holding that while states have "a legitimate
interest in protecting ‘potential life,'' this interest was not
strong enough to prohibit abortions before the time of fetal
viability, understood to be at about 23 weeks into pregnancy.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/supreme-court-overturns-roe-v-
wade-dobbs-v-jackson-womens-health-organization

Just Wondering

Jun 24, 2022, 6:51:10 PM6/24/22
On 6/24/2022 3:24 PM, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:
> In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
> d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>
> Minnesota Molly Shitbag <mollyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm a homosexual so it doesn't matter.
>>

> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
> practice altogether.

The Supreme Court did not give individual states anything.
The states already had that power. The federal government,
via Roe v. Wade, had unconstitutionally abrogated that
power. The current court merely recognized the error and
restored to the states a power that was always constitutionally theirs.

Rudy Canoza

Jun 24, 2022, 7:09:08 PM6/24/22
On 6/24/2022 3:51 PM, Francis Mark Hansen <fmh...@comcast.net>, sleazy rent-skip
chaser, possible polygamist and irrational gun nut, lied:

> On 6/24/2022 3:24 PM, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:
>> In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
>> d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>
>> Minnesota Molly Shitbag <mollyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm a homosexual so it doesn't matter.
>>>

>> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
>> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
>> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
>> practice altogether.
>>
> The Supreme Court did not give individual states anything.
> The states already had that power.

No, Francis. The states do not have a power under the Constitution to violate
rights, Francis. When federal courts strike down state laws that violate
rights, Francis, there is no "usurpation."

People have a right to marry, Francis, and they have a right to marry a
consenting adult (or consenting minor with parental permission) of their choice.
State laws that forbid marrying a person of another race, or of the same sex,
violate people's rights, Francis. States have no power under the Constitution
to do that, Francis, and when the federal courts strike down rights-violating
state laws, there is no usurpation, Francis.

David Hartung

Jun 25, 2022, 6:28:44 AM6/25/22
On 6/24/22 18:09, Rudy Canoza wrote:
> On 6/24/2022 3:51 PM, Francis Mark Hansen <fmh...@comcast.net>, sleazy
> rent-skip chaser, possible polygamist and irrational gun nut, lied:
>
>> On 6/24/2022 3:24 PM, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:
>>> In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
>>> d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>

>>> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
>>> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
>>> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
>>> practice altogether.
>>>
>> The Supreme Court did not give individual states anything.
>> The states already had that power.
>
> No, Francis.  The states do not have a power under the Constitution to
> violate rights, Francis.

There is no constitutional right to kill a child, even one who is not
yet born.

Blue Lives Matter

Jun 25, 2022, 6:36:38 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 05:28:35 -0500, David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com>
wrote:
Leftist "logic" says that turning a decision over to voters is
destroying democracy.

Irish Mike

Jun 25, 2022, 9:02:19 AM6/25/22
Totally correct. So, please send a copy of your post to MSNBC.

Irish Mike

Rudy Canoza

Jun 25, 2022, 9:46:09 AM6/25/22
There are no "constitution" rights, period. We have rights, some of which are
addressed in the Constitution and others of which are not.

It's not a question of it being a "child," which clearly it isn't. It's a
question of being a rights-holding person or not, and it's not clear that an
embryo has a right to remain in the womb of a woman who doesn't want it there.
The woman probably has a right to evict the embryo from her womb.

Fuck off with this "right to life" bullshit. That's not your concern. Your
concern is to exert unwarranted power over women. That's all you care about.

Klaus Schadenfreude

Jun 25, 2022, 9:48:08 AM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 06:46:04 -0700, Rudy Canoza <notg...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Fuck off with this "right to life" bullshit. That's not your concern. Your
>concern is to exert unwarranted power over women.

We already know Rudy is a bloodthirsty little dwarf that thinks by
siding with bloodthirsty leftists, it increases his chances of getting
laid.

It doesn't.

moviePig

Jun 25, 2022, 10:50:13 AM6/25/22
Now I'm just wondering which states will outlaw sex altogether...

RichA

Jun 25, 2022, 11:04:23 AM6/25/22
On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 17:25:05 UTC-4, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:
> In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
> d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>
> Minnesota Molly Shitbag <mollyth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm a homosexual so it doesn't matter.
> >

> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
> practice altogether.

What's the problem then? If you want an abortion, just go to a blue state.

Siri Cruise

Jun 25, 2022, 11:22:42 AM6/25/22
In article <NvKdnSI8McLOfiv_...@giganews.com>,
David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com> wrote:

> There is no constitutional right to kill a child, even one who is not
> yet born.

You just have to wait till they're in kindergarten.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
I am an Andrea Chen sockpuppet. insults Islam. Mohammed

anim8rfsk

Jun 25, 2022, 11:41:36 AM6/25/22
There’s a company that just announced they’ll give their employees up to
$4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.

I don’t know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
stuff. I don’t think I can just go to another state to get a procedure
anymore.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 25, 2022, 12:30:59 PM6/25/22
You can't, everyone else can and the reason you can't has nothing to do
with Obamacare and "medical stuff".

dirty old man.

trotsky

Jun 25, 2022, 1:31:29 PM6/25/22
On 6/25/2022 10:41 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 17:25:05 UTC-4, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:
>>> In article <21c366ae-7b5d-4ce3-bd19-
>>> d7c74b...@googlegroups.com>

>>> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
>>> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
>>> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
>>> practice altogether.
>>>

>> What's the problem then? If you want an abortion, just go to a blue state.
>>

> There’s a company that just announced they’ll give their employees up to
> $4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.
>
> I don’t know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
> stuff.

And you're the one who can't figure out how to get Plex to work? Yeah,
that tracks.

trotsky

Jun 25, 2022, 1:43:54 PM6/25/22
Poverty is the problem you stupid motherfucker.

Your Name

Jun 25, 2022, 5:49:51 PM6/25/22
President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
to running the computer comnpany!) have also said they will support
people crossing state borders to get abortions ... whatever that may
mean in reality.

A Friend

Jun 25, 2022, 6:39:45 PM6/25/22
In article <t97vtq$k2l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> On 2022-06-25 15:41:31 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
> > RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> What's the problem then? If you want an abortion, just go to a blue state.
> >
> > Thereıs a company that just announced theyıll give their employees up to
> > $4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.
> >
> > I donıt know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
> > stuff. I donıt think I can just go to another state to get a procedure
> > anymore.
>
> President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
> always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
> to running the computer comnpany!)

Are you really so naive as to think that running a $63 billion company
doesn't involve having to get into politics?

> have also said they will support people crossing state borders to get
> abortions ... whatever that may mean in reality.

You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)

anim8rfsk

Jun 25, 2022, 8:36:14 PM6/25/22
A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
> In article <t97vtq$k2l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> There¹s a company that just announced they¹ll give their employees up to
>>> $4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.
>>>
>>> I don¹t know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
>>> stuff. I don¹t think I can just go to another state to get a procedure
>>> anymore.
>>
>> President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
>> always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
>> to running the computer comnpany!)
>

> Are you really so naive as to think that running a $63 billion company
> doesn't involve having to get into politics?
>

>> have also said they will support people crossing state borders to get
>> abortions ... whatever that may mean in reality.
>

> You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
> person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
> it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
> in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
> crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
> Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)

“Support” means they are giving them $4000 per abortion for travel
expenses.

governo...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2022, 9:20:47 PM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 08:22:36 -0700, Siri Cruise <chine...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <NvKdnSI8McLOfiv_...@giganews.com>,
> David Hartung <da...@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no constitutional right to kill a child, even one who is not
>> yet born.
>
>You just have to wait till they're in kindergarten.

Or fourth grade.

Swill
--
Lock 'im up!

The Horny Goat

Jun 25, 2022, 11:45:49 PM6/25/22
On Sat, 25 Jun 2022 18:39:41 -0400, A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

>You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
>person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
>it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
>in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
>crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
>Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)

10 years ago my daughter did just that - she was going to college in
Ottawa but drank across the river in Quebec which had a lower drinking
age.

When she came home for Christmas she told me all this - I just told
her that I had faith in her upbrings and her common sense to know
nobody would be bringing her home in a shopping cart (as in Animal
House) and that university students had been known to drink a pint or
two.

Fancy that - a university student drinking beer. Who woulda thunk it?

BTR1701

Jun 26, 2022, 12:50:21 AM6/26/22
In article <250620221839415207%no...@noway.com>,
A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

> In article <t97vtq$k2l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> > > There's a company that just announced theyšll give their employees
> > > up to $4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.
> > >
> > > I don't know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on
> > > medical stuff. I don't think I can just go to another state to get
> > > a procedure anymore.
> >
> > President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
> > always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
> > to running the computer comnpany!)
>
> Are you really so naive as to think that running a $63 billion company
> doesn't involve having to get into politics?
>
> > have also said they will support people crossing state borders to get
> > abortions ... whatever that may mean in reality.

> You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
> person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
> it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
> in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
> crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
> Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)

Same with Illinois and Wisconsin. The Illinois cops would sit on the
border and wait for all the drunk kids to come home from Wisconsin and
charge them with DUIs. They could even got the passengers with being
intoxicated while underage.

This whole idea that one state can prohibit its citizens from doing
things in other states is ridiculous.

Could Arkansas arrest any resident who goes to Vegas for vacation and
gambles because gambling is illegal in Arkansas? That would be absurd.
The legal principles involved are no different with abortion.

RichA

Jun 26, 2022, 1:00:20 AM6/26/22
Your states are small. Just hop a bus. It's cheap. Believe it or not, actions have consequences.
Getting RID of consequences makes accidents much more likely.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 26, 2022, 1:07:36 AM6/26/22
Apparently not your daughter! :D

trotsky

Jun 26, 2022, 6:48:05 AM6/26/22
That's the GQP in a nutshell, ridiculous.

trotsky

Jun 26, 2022, 6:50:27 AM6/26/22
On 6/26/2022 12:00 AM, RichA wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 June 2022 at 13:43:54 UTC-4, gmsin...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> What's the problem then? If you want an abortion, just go to a blue state.
>> Poverty is the problem you stupid motherfucker.
>
> Your states are small.

No, that's your brain.

moviePig

Jun 26, 2022, 10:10:08 AM6/26/22
'Conspiring to engage in moral turpitude' sounds like a winner to me.

BTR1701

Jun 26, 2022, 11:50:02 AM6/26/22
In article <%MZtK.3347$Eh2....@fx41.iad>,
Except it's already been tried and lost many decades ago.

moviePig

Jun 26, 2022, 1:42:54 PM6/26/22
Longer ago than 'Roe v. Wade'? (So that it's "settled law"?)

BTR1701

Jun 26, 2022, 2:44:42 PM6/26/22
In article <tU0uK.23705$El2....@fx45.iad>,
Even better, unlike Roe, it's actually in the Constitution.

trotsky

Jun 26, 2022, 3:40:43 PM6/26/22
So true. What about bold faced lies about settled law, where's that at?

moviePig

Jun 26, 2022, 4:59:09 PM6/26/22
Where?

Your Name

Jun 26, 2022, 5:18:26 PM6/26/22
On 2022-06-25 15:41:31 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
There's now a ton of companies jumping on the bandwagon to pay the
costs for their staff to go to another state if they want to have an
abortion ... yet another excuse for them to raise prices even more.
:-\

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 26, 2022, 8:00:11 PM6/26/22
The reason Anim's insulin isn't price capped at $35/month is because
almost every Republican Representative voted against it. Earlier this
year. But that's Obama's fault of course.

Ubiquitous

Jun 27, 2022, 10:25:35 AM6/27/22
It's hard for a hysterical person to be rational.
Clearly, these people need hysterectomies, not abortions.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous

Jun 27, 2022, 10:30:41 AM6/27/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Friday, 24 June 2022 at 17:25:05 UTC-4, Baby Part Sales, Inc. wrote:

>>> The Supreme Court on Friday overturned Roe v. Wade, effectively
>>> ending recognition of a constitutional right to abortion and
>>> giving individual states the power to allow, limit, or ban the
>>> practice altogether.
>>
>> What's the problem then? If you want an abortion, just go to a blue state.
>
>There's a company that just announced they'll give their employees up to
>$4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.

There are several, in fact.

>I don't know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
>stuff. I don't think I can just go to another state to get a procedure
>anymore.

#ThanksObama

Ubiquitous

Jun 27, 2022, 10:32:12 AM6/27/22
In article <%MZtK.3347$Eh2....@fx41.iad>, pwal...@moviepig.com wrote:
> On 6/26/2022 12:53 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
>> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

>>> You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
>>> person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
>>> it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
>>> in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
>>> crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
>>> Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)
>>
>> Same with Illinois and Wisconsin. The Illinois cops would sit on the
>> border and wait for all the drunk kids to come home from Wisconsin and
>> charge them with DUIs. They could even got the passengers with being
>> intoxicated while underage.
>>
>> This whole idea that one state can prohibit its citizens from doing
>> things in other states is ridiculous.
>>
>> Could Arkansas arrest any resident who goes to Vegas for vacation and
>> gambles because gambling is illegal in Arkansas? That would be absurd.
>> The legal principles involved are no different with abortion.
>
>'Conspiring to engage in moral turpitude' sounds like a winner to me.

Been watching Footloose again, eh?

BTR1701

Jun 27, 2022, 12:34:18 PM6/27/22
In article <sM3uK.330150$5fVf....@fx09.iad>,
Oh, FFS, really?

Even Hutt knows and admitted it's true.

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 1:46:39 PM6/27/22
There’s a note on the top of the bag of insulin pens I just picked up that
says if I switched to the generic I’d have saved $3000.

Blink. Blink, blink.

So I turned to Mr. Google because I’ve never heard of a generic for when I
take. In fact last time I was at the doctor we looked it up and there
wasn’t one.

Anyway it’s fairly new. It’s a new category of generic. Regular generics
are just stuff hacked out in India with no quality control and you might be
taking anything. This is a generic that’s actually made by and under
control of the company that makes the regular stuff.

But the mystery is that nobody’s switching to it. No part of that may be
that neither patients nor doctors have heard of it.

But the prevailing theory is that “insurance coverage (for the generic) is
spotty”

That certainly doesn’t bode well.

moviePig

Jun 27, 2022, 3:10:16 PM6/27/22
I must've missed that exchange. And I didn't say (yet) it isn't true.

moviePig

Jun 27, 2022, 3:12:57 PM6/27/22
I'm not sure I've ever encountered brand-specific medical insurance.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 27, 2022, 4:51:48 PM6/27/22
I agree with the "Blink. Blink. Blink." :) That doesn't make any sense.

danny burstein

Jun 27, 2022, 5:08:12 PM6/27/22
In <t9d58v$nms5$3...@dont-email.me> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> writes:

[snip]
>> There's a note on the top of the bag of insulin pens I just picked up that
>> says if I switched to the generic I'd have saved $3000.
>>
>> Blink. Blink, blink.
>>
>> So I turned to Mr. Google because I've never heard of a generic for when I
>> take. In fact last time I was at the doctor we looked it up and there
>> wasn't one.

Don't know about this specific one, but it turns out
one of the 0.1 percenters (that is, a gazillionaire),
is doing something positive for truth, justice,
and the American Way.

Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Maverisks and
lots of other stuff) [a] recently helped finance
the... "Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company".

Despite the obvious self promotion, it's a solidly
positive development.

It's a legit pharmacy company that's selling
a modest number (and increasing..) of drugs
at prices far below those of the average company.

Worth a look [b]:

[a] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban
[b] https://www.markcubancostplusdrugcompany.com
or
https://costplusdrugs.com

dan...@panix.com

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 5:42:28 PM6/27/22
Well he doesn’t sell anything I take but it was worth a shot. Thanks.

danny burstein

Jun 27, 2022, 6:01:16 PM6/27/22
In <1399223961.678058754.0...@news.easynews.com> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> writes:

[snip]

>> It's a legit pharmacy company that's selling
>> a modest number (and increasing..) of drugs
>> at prices far below those of the average company.
>>
>> Worth a look [b]:
>>
>> [a] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban
>> [b] https://www.markcubancostplusdrugcompany.com
>> or
>> https://costplusdrugs.com

>Well he doesn't sell anything I take but it was worth a shot. Thanks.

Somewhere on the web page was a "please let us know
what we should add" link... so it's probably worth
the couple of minutes..

trotsky

Jun 27, 2022, 7:14:35 PM6/27/22
I don't even know what you're talking about Derpshit.

Oh, wait, yes I do: MORE HORSESHIT.

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 8:29:21 PM6/27/22
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> In <1399223961.678058754.0...@news.easynews.com>
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> It's a legit pharmacy company that's selling
>>> a modest number (and increasing..) of drugs
>>> at prices far below those of the average company.
>>>
>>> Worth a look [b]:
>>>
>>> [a] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Cuban
>>> [b] https://www.markcubancostplusdrugcompany.com
>>> or
>>> https://costplusdrugs.com
>
>> Well he doesn't sell anything I take but it was worth a shot. Thanks.
>
> Somewhere on the web page was a "please let us know
> what we should add" link... so it's probably worth
> the couple of minutes..

Yeah, that pops up every time it tells you that they don’t currently have
what you’re looking for. :-)

David Johnston

Jun 27, 2022, 10:29:10 PM6/27/22
On 2022-06-25 4:39 p.m., A Friend wrote:
> In article <t97vtq$k2l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> There¹s a company that just announced they¹ll give their employees up to
>>> $4000 to travel to another state to get an abortion.
>>>
>>> I don¹t know if it works that way since Obamacare screwed us all on medical
>>> stuff. I don¹t think I can just go to another state to get a procedure
>>> anymore.
>>
>> President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
>> always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
>> to running the computer comnpany!)
>

> Are you really so naive as to think that running a $63 billion company
> doesn't involve having to get into politics?
>

>> have also said they will support people crossing state borders to get
>> abortions ... whatever that may mean in reality.
>

> You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
> person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
> it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
> in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
> crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
> Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)

I thought the proposal to facilitate lawsuits against anyone who helps
someone escape the state to get an abortion was pretty funny. Also
Thomas's recommendation that they should move on to contraception and
same sex relationships was funny too since that would also include
inter-racial marriages such as his.

David Johnston

Jun 27, 2022, 10:30:45 PM6/27/22
On 2022-06-25 10:53 p.m., BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <250620221839415207%no...@noway.com>,
> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <t97vtq$k2l$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
>> <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

>>> President Biden and Apple computer company (i.e. CEO Tim Cook, who is
>>> always busily poking his nose in political issues rather than sticking
>>> to running the computer comnpany!)
>>
>> Are you really so naive as to think that running a $63 billion company
>> doesn't involve having to get into politics?
>>
>>> have also said they will support people crossing state borders to get
>>> abortions ... whatever that may mean in reality.
>
>> You can't stop a person from crossing a state border. You can't keep a
>> person from doing something that's legal in that other state, even if
>> it's not legal in yours. (Ex: Back in the day, the legal drinking age
>> in New York was 18, but it was 21 in neighboring New Jersey. Kids
>> crossed the river all the time to drink legally in New York, and New
>> Jersey couldn't stop them from doing it.)
>
> Same with Illinois and Wisconsin. The Illinois cops would sit on the
> border and wait for all the drunk kids to come home from Wisconsin and
> charge them with DUIs. They could even got the passengers with being
> intoxicated while underage.
>
> This whole idea that one state can prohibit its citizens from doing
> things in other states is ridiculous.

Weren't the Illinois cops basically doing that with the drunk passengers?

David Johnston

Jun 27, 2022, 10:32:31 PM6/27/22
I would be surprised to learn that abortions were ever covered.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 27, 2022, 11:54:39 PM6/27/22
They weren't. The Hyde Amendment is still on the books.

trotsky

Jun 28, 2022, 4:08:35 AM6/28/22
Me too. Derp might be conflating it with something he saw in his Oath
Keeper email blast.

Ubiquitous

Jun 28, 2022, 7:33:30 AM6/28/22
They were, hence the lawsuits from Catholic orgs being forced to pay for them.