Want to Have Sex With Charlie Sheen? You Have to Give Him Your Copyrights

BTR1701

Nov 28, 2015, 12:57:07 PM11/28/15
As you may have heard, last week actor Charlie Sheen announced that he
is HIV positive, which got lots of news coverage. Related to that, In
Touch magazine produced the non disclosure agreement (NDA) that it
claims "Charlie Sheen had his sexual partners sign when they came to his
house". I guess if you're a celebrity known for sleeping around, this is
the kind of thing you have your lawyers cook up for you, but what struck
me as interesting was that, beyond the basic NDA language, there was
some copyright language concerning any images, videos or sound
recordings. You can understand why Sheen (and his lawyers) don't want
anyone taking pictures of him or even talking about the relationship to
book or magazine writers, so they include some bizarre copyright
transfer language for the partner to agree to:

1.3 No Participation in Books or Articles. Without Your
advance express written consent, I will not give or participate
in any interviews, write or be a source for, any articles,
books, programs, or stories about You or the Related Parties,
whether truthful, fictionalized, on the record, or "off the
record". If I breach these promises, My copyright in any such
unauthorized material shall be automatically and immediately
transferred by Me to You as of its creation and in perpetuity,
and this Agreement shall constitute a valid transfer of
copyright.

1.4 Images and Recordings. Without Your advance express written
consent, I will not create any photographs, movies, videos,
sound or image recordings or otherwise capture any depictions or
likenesses of You, Your family, friends, associates or employees
("Images and Recordings"). If I breach these promises any images
and Recordings I create shall be considered Confidential
Information, and My copyright in them shall be deemed
automatically and immediately transferred by Me to You as of
its creation and in perpetuity, and this Agreement shall
constitute a valid transfer of copyright. If you expressly direct
Me to create any Images and Recordings, they will be Confidential
Information in which I have no legal rights or interest
whatsoever, including any copyright, trademark, "moral rights",
patent, or other similar rights, and I convey, transfer and
assign to You all of My right, title, and interest (if any) of
whatever kind or nature in all Images and Recordings as of
their creation and in perpetuity, and this Agreement shall
constitute a valid transfer of copyrights.

Of course, the "in perpetuity" clause is not really accurate, as you
can't give up your termination rights, even with a contractual
agreement, to take back your copyrights after 35 years, but, really,
that's beside the point. I do wonder how valid Section 1.3 is at all. If
the partner is interviewed for a book or a magazine article, there
likely isn't any copyright for Sheen's partner to transfer in the first
place, as nothing is "fixed" by that partner. Furthermore, in most
cases, the book or magazine author/publisher would likely have a strong
fair use claim if Sheen tried to have those quotes deleted via
copyright. If anything, this just seems like a way to make it sound
scary to go out and talk to a magazine or book author.

The transfer of copyright in the photos and videos at least seems a bit
more legit, if still sketchy. Of course, this is just another example of
how copyright is being used directly for censorship purposes, entirely
divorced from its supposed purpose of providing incentives to create.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20151120/17361532875/if-you-want-to-hav
e-sex-with-charlie-sheen-you-have-to-give-him-copyrights-any-photos-you-t
ake-him.shtml

anim8rfsk

Nov 28, 2015, 4:08:34 PM11/28/15
In article <atropos-1055C6...@news.giganews.com>,
FOX animation had a similarly ludicrous and draconian NDA as a sign in
sheet at the reception desk (like anybody was looking to steal the
secrets of ANASTASIA or it would matter if they did) and I always
wondered how a 'contract' that there was only one copy of could possibly
be legal.

--
Barb May is wrong, stupid, fat, ugly, and a liar. As usual.

Alan Smithee

Nov 29, 2015, 2:04:56 AM11/29/15

wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk

Nov 29, 2015, 11:05:33 AM11/29/15
In article <anim8rfsk-B5C6F...@news.easynews.com>,
anim...@cox.net (anim8rfsk) wrote:

> *From:* anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
> *Date:* Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:08:29 -0700
I assume Sheen's goal there is just to stop anyone from profiting from
sleeping with him. His lawyers may also think the contract enables him to
sue for damages. While that might not stop some idiot from posting a sex
tape to YouTube, it would likely deter any commercial publisher.

wg

Nawskrad

Nov 29, 2015, 7:45:29 PM11/29/15
On 29/11/2015 11:05 AM, wen...@cix.compulink.co.uk wrote:

> I assume Sheen's goal there is just to stop anyone from profiting from
> sleeping with him.

That would be negative-sum behavior.

Arthur Lipscomb

Nov 30, 2015, 11:29:30 AM11/30/15
I see scary NDA type of agreements at some sneak previews I attend. I
don't like it, but I sign them.

When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. In order
to get paid they wanted us to sign a lengthy agreement (which they did
not provide us with a copy to keep). Everybody else just signed the
thing but I actually read it. I guess it was some sort of standard
boilerplate document that they made all university employees sign.
However the language talked about signing away rights to any inventions
or discoveries I might make to the university. If I recall correctly
the language extended that right well into the future, at least as long
as I was a student there. I don't know, there could have been some NDA
language in there too.

It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
document like that. While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!

The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
(customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 11:39:36 AM11/30/15
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. . . .

Interesting experience. You were right to refuse.

>The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
>who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
>foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
>hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
>myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
>(customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
>to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.

Absolutely correct, like the absurdity of American girls being presented
to British royalty who have been instructed to curtsy. Not being subject
of foreign monarchs, we don't demonstrate fealty.

I don't like it that so many former American public officials continue to be
addressed by their former title either. That's improper. At least we
don't have to bow.

BTR1701

Nov 30, 2015, 11:51:04 AM11/30/15
In article <n3htck$qj0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 11/28/2015 1:08 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:

> > FOX animation had a similarly ludicrous and draconian NDA as a sign in
> > sheet at the reception desk (like anybody was looking to steal the
> > secrets of ANASTASIA or it would matter if they did) and I always
> > wondered how a 'contract' that there was only one copy of could possibly
> > be legal.
> >

> I see scary NDA type of agreements at some sneak previews I attend. I
> don't like it, but I sign them.
>
> When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. In order
> to get paid they wanted us to sign a lengthy agreement (which they did
> not provide us with a copy to keep). Everybody else just signed the
> thing but I actually read it. I guess it was some sort of standard
> boilerplate document that they made all university employees sign.
> However the language talked about signing away rights to any inventions
> or discoveries I might make to the university. If I recall correctly
> the language extended that right well into the future, at least as long
> as I was a student there. I don't know, there could have been some NDA
> language in there too.
>
> It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
> document like that.

Just in case you were Good Will Hunting, solving complex equations on
the blackboards after hours.

> While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
> was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
> to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
> collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
> gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!

Not anyone who wants it to be legally enforceable.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 12:13:33 PM11/30/15
In article <n3htck$qj0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

Do you have to fill out your contact info, or just sign it? Can you
imagine, some idiot says "Arthur Lipscomb is telling people that Darth
Vader is Luke's father!" and they have to dig through the piles of NDAs
to see if one has your sig on it (assuming you signed your real name)
and then try to connect it to you?

> When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. In order
> to get paid they wanted us to sign a lengthy agreement (which they did
> not provide us with a copy to keep).

AFAIK a will is the only contract you can get away with both sides not
having a copy of, for obvious reasons.

Everybody else just signed the
> thing but I actually read it. I guess it was some sort of standard
> boilerplate document that they made all university employees sign.
> However the language talked about signing away rights to any inventions
> or discoveries I might make to the university. If I recall correctly
> the language extended that right well into the future, at least as long
> as I was a student there. I don't know, there could have been some NDA
> language in there too.

Nobody in my office building but me *ever* reads the leases, which are
chock full of illegal stuff, like "any rule the landlord chooses to make
at any time retroactively becomes part of the lease and is agreed to by
the tenant"

> It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
> document like that. While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
> was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
> to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
> collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
> gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!

Happens all the time. Usually they threaten not to pay you unless you
do.

> The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
> who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
> foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
> hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
> myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
> (customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
> to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.

lol

--
New sig pending

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 12:19:03 PM11/30/15
In article <n3hu46$m6g$4...@news.albasani.net>,
I've always been perplexed at the pulp novels, like Doc Savage, where ex
military are addressed and referred to by their rank forever:

Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Blodgett Mayfair
Brigadier General Theodore Marley Brooks
Colonel John Renwick
Major Thomas J. Roberts

So how do I differentiate these guys from active military? Shouldn't
they have 'ret' after their names or something?

When I was a kid we had a jackass of a next door neighbor who made his
kids call him by his rank. Which was usually followed by a thumb to the
nose when his back was turned.

--
New sig pending

BTR1701

Nov 30, 2015, 12:24:59 PM11/30/15
In article <anim8rfsk-F550F...@news.easynews.com>,
They do have the retired designation in formal written communications,
but no one actually says that when verbally addressing them.

BTR1701

Nov 30, 2015, 12:26:41 PM11/30/15
In article <anim8rfsk-35C57...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <n3htck$qj0$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> > When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. In order
> > to get paid they wanted us to sign a lengthy agreement (which they did
> > not provide us with a copy to keep).
>
> AFAIK a will is the only contract you can get away with both sides not
> having a copy of, for obvious reasons.

Well, the main reason for that is that a will isn't actually a contract.

> > It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
> > document like that. While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
> > was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
> > to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
> > collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
> > gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!
>
> Happens all the time. Usually they threaten not to pay you unless you
> do.

And I'd threaten to sue them and have the state labor board investigate
them until they paid me.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 1:03:10 PM11/30/15
In article <atropos-8890C0...@news.giganews.com>,
So if you call me on the phone and say "Brigadier General Theodore
Marley Brooks" ... what do I think? If it's in person, at least I know
you're not in uniform, but that doesn't mean anything to me beyond "he's
not in uniform"

--
New sig pending

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 1:11:08 PM11/30/15
That formal correspondence making use of retired rank should be limited
to military commemorations or officer class reunions. They shouldn't be
addressed by retired rank in the business world, but many retired officers
are.

If someone addresses a retired officer as "Mister", that's properly
respectful and polite and that person must never be corrected to
address as a retired rank, but they are.

BTR1701

Nov 30, 2015, 1:13:49 PM11/30/15
In article <anim8rfsk-B44EC...@news.easynews.com>,
Most people with class won't refer to *themselves* that way, unless it's
somehow relevant to the conversation, in which case it would be
something like, "Hello, this is Marley Brooks. I was a former Air Force
general in command of X air wing (or whatever) and I'm calling
because..."

But if the person already knows you, there's no reason for themselves to
refer to themselves by their former rank, unless they're a pompous
douchebag.

A Friend

Nov 30, 2015, 1:17:51 PM11/30/15
In article <anim8rfsk-F550F...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

And let's not forget TV. They made RCA chairman David Sarnoff a
brigadier general in the reserve during World War II, and when he came
back a memo went out that he was to be referred to forever after as
General Sarnoff.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 1:20:33 PM11/30/15
In article <atropos-9E8021...@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-35C57...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <n3htck$qj0$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> > > When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. In order
> > > to get paid they wanted us to sign a lengthy agreement (which they did
> > > not provide us with a copy to keep).
> >
> > AFAIK a will is the only contract you can get away with both sides not
> > having a copy of, for obvious reasons.
>
> Well, the main reason for that is that a will isn't actually a contract.

While I agree, they usually try to sneak that past you in contract law.
:) Raising your hand and raising that point will get you *nowhere*

> > > It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
> > > document like that. While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
> > > was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
> > > to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
> > > collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
> > > gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!
> >
> > Happens all the time. Usually they threaten not to pay you unless you
> > do.
>
> And I'd threaten to sue them and have the state labor board investigate
> them until they paid me.

Well, it's usually not an employment thing, except with FOX, and, I
swear, they should have had somebody set up a lawfirm next door, and
specialize just in suing them.

But, for instance, Activision, after I did a bunch of video game art for
them, started making these weird ridiculous demands, and pulled the
"it's in the contract" crap on me, and I'm like "what contract" and
they're like "didn't we send you that?" and I'm like "hahahahhaahaha"

They demanded I send them *every* piece of paper or electronic media
that referred to the project in any way, anything that had the name
'Activision' on it. It was like discovery, except they were demanding
the originals, and I wasn't allowed to keep ANY copies. I couldn't
erase it, either, I had to surrender it. I'd have had to send them my
bank records, phone records, post it notes, ironically enough my copies
of the contracts they'd never sent me, and pull my hard drives and send
them those as well. Or they weren't going to pay me. Luckily this came
up before I sent them the final art. So they paid me and shut up.

Another client, I was executing a Centaur character for them - I don't
say 'design' because they were doing all the design work by having me do
something and then change it to their specifications. Well, halfway in,
their legal got involved, and started pulling crap like saying I had to
sign an additional contract guaranteeing that I'd indemnify them against
any legal action anybody anywhere ever took against them in perpetuity,
you know, in case there was another centaur out there. I laughed
hysterically. That went away. Then they required that the live action
model's face, that we'd paid for rights for for this usage, had to be
exclusive to them - basically this guy could never sell his likeness
again to anybody for any reason (and that would realistically extend
into the past as well). I gave them his contact info and told them they
were completely welcome to talk to HIM about that, but, you know, we'd
already paid him and had an agreement. I never heard any more about
that. I don't know if they gave him millions with the requirement that
he retire or just forgot about it, but I'd assume the latter. :D

--
New sig pending

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 1:25:48 PM11/30/15
He didn't actually report to the military during the war; that was
just political clout. What a douchebag move.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 1:33:50 PM11/30/15
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>>It made no sense to have someone whose doing janitorial work sign a
>>>document like that. While I had no intention of inventing anything, it
>>>was the principle of the thing. I complained and was told everyone has
>>>to sign or you don't get paid. I refused to sign and when I went to
>>>collect my paycheck no one checked if I had signed or not...Besides who
>>>gives you a contract to sign *after* you've already done the work?!?!

>>Happens all the time. Usually they threaten not to pay you unless you
>>do.

>And I'd threaten to sue them and have the state labor board investigate
>them until they paid me.

I'm trying to remember: For unpaid work, I believe the employee must file
a complaint with the state labor department to pursue the claim. I don't
think one can go directly to court. Maybe after the employee gets a ruling.

It probably takes a minimum of six months to get a judgment, so don't
count on living on the money in the interim. Then, if you weren't paid
due to bankruptcy, you have to file the claim separately with the court.
Wage claims have precedence over other creditors, but not mortgages.

I probably got some of this wrong.

I've always been confused as to why employees would file with the state
labor board and why other employees would file with EEOC, 'cuz the state
labor board is often enforcing federal law.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 1:55:25 PM11/30/15

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 1:57:53 PM11/30/15
In article <atropos-32FCA3...@news.giganews.com>,
Okay, Ham Brooks probably wouldn't call me and use his title, but then
he probably wouldn't call me himself, he'd have his secretary in the
most prestigious law firm in New York call me, and I bet SHE'D use the
full military title (at least on a first contact) and she'd probably
slip in "most prestigious law firm in New York" too. :D

--
New sig pending

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:23:07 PM11/30/15
Yes. The secretary is only the hired help, so she'd never refer to her
boss in intimate terms.

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:26:58 PM11/30/15
I think some of it is that Major Armstrong was an actual major in the
Signal Corp in WWI, so Sarnoff wanted oneupmanship.

But Sarnoff's story about getting the message from the Titanic is
apparently off too.

He was probably also upset that there was a General Motors, and a General
Foods, so he wanted his own rank too.

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:29:51 PM11/30/15
Checking wikipedia (it's been years since I've read that history), he did
do some war related work, though did he really get his hands dirty? But,
he was given the general's star in December of 1945, so it was a
"farewell" sort of upgrade.

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:30:54 PM11/30/15
I remember a time when many an article in The National Geographic was
written by someone with a reserve rank.

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:35:01 PM11/30/15
That's a good question. There's also Colonel Sanders, though apparently
that came from the state he was from (or maybe he just put the rank there,
but there was a Southern state that issued such things to civilians, the
reasoning I've forgotten).

Well it wasn't that long after WWI, and note that they were all officers.
Nobody's going to go around saying "I'm Private Gomer Pyle", but I got out
of the army 20 years ago.

> When I was a kid we had a jackass of a next door neighbor who made his
> kids call him by his rank. Which was usually followed by a thumb to the
> nose when his back was turned.

He must have loved "The SOund of Music".

Michael

Michael Black

Nov 30, 2015, 5:37:41 PM11/30/15
Well there are only a handful of ex-presidents around.

And do you really want to take that away from Jimmy Carter, who's life is
likely going to terminate sooner than expected?

Michael

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 6:39:21 PM11/30/15
Cap'n Crunch works for the Quaker.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 6:42:05 PM11/30/15
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. . . .
>>
>> Interesting experience. You were right to refuse.
>>
>>> The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
>>> who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
>>> foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
>>> hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
>>> myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
>>> (customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
>>> to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.
>>
>> Absolutely correct, like the absurdity of American girls being presented
>> to British royalty who have been instructed to curtsy. Not being subject
>> of foreign monarchs, we don't demonstrate fealty.
>>
>> I don't like it that so many former American public officials continue to be
>> addressed by their former title either. That's improper. At least we
>> don't have to bow.
>>
>Well there are only a handful of ex-presidents around.

Ex-president was Nixon's title. The rest were former presidents. It's
particularly wrong to address a former president as Mr. President, even
when Obama has done it.

>And do you really want to take that away from Jimmy Carter, who's life is
>likely going to terminate sooner than expected?

I can't believe he's getting the cancer treated. Do oncologists and
oncological surgeons cast evil spells on people?

Nawskrad

Nov 30, 2015, 7:04:27 PM11/30/15
On 30/11/2015 6:42 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> I can't believe he's getting the cancer treated. Do oncologists and
> oncological surgeons cast evil spells on people?

*I* can't believe you think he should just let it kill him without a fight!

When something threatens your life, you don't just sit there, you do
something. Unless you're suicidal.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 7:32:17 PM11/30/15
Seamus, I know this sockpuppet isn't even a week old, and already it's
showing enormous holes needing to be retired. It has no concept of old age.

Carter is over 91. Old age is going to kill him, not the cancer. He
cannot possibly prolong his life with oncology and surgery, and there's
simply no cure for old age. Unlike you and your endless pile of dirty
laundry, human beings cannot just pull out new socks.

Nawskrad

Nov 30, 2015, 7:36:53 PM11/30/15
To address the small portion of your vomitus that is not lunacy that is
"not even wrong" but instead is just plain wrong:

The maximum observed human lifespan, as of this writing, is 123.
Centenarians are not particularly uncommon. Ergo, Carter might well have
ten years still in him, and theoretically up to 32, before old age kills
him. The cancer, if left untreated, will certainly kill him much sooner
than even ten years. If it is treated, it is fairly likely to do so
anyway, but is not guaranteed to.

What would ten years of extra life be worth to *you*?

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 8:11:39 PM11/30/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
That's some odd honorary title; Sanders wasn't a Colonel in the military.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_colonel
"Kentucky colonel is the highest title of honor bestowed by the
Commonwealth of Kentucky. Commissions for Kentucky colonels are given by
the governor and the secretary of state to individuals in recognition of
noteworthy accomplishments and outstanding service to a community, state
or the nation. The sitting governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky
bestows the honor of a colonel's commission, by issuance of letters
patent."

> Well it wasn't that long after WWI, and note that they were all officers.
> Nobody's going to go around saying "I'm Private Gomer Pyle", but I got out
> of the army 20 years ago.

Heh, yeah, that's why I gave the list, since they were all different
ranks, it's not just like the General does it. There's one aide that
DOESN'T do it, and of course Doc himself doesn't, but by the time we
meet him he's an M.D. and using 'Doc' instead. Most people seem to call
him "Mister" though, maybe because he's not in practice?

> > When I was a kid we had a jackass of a next door neighbor who made his
> > kids call him by his rank. Which was usually followed by a thumb to the
> > nose when his back was turned.
> >
> He must have loved "The SOund of Music".

I've never seen it?

--
New sig pending

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 8:24:37 PM11/30/15
Nawskrad <naws...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>On 30/11/2015 7:32 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Nawskrad <naws...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>>*I* can't believe you think he should just let it kill him without a fight!

>>>When something threatens your life, you don't just sit there, you do
>>>something. Unless you're suicidal.

>>Seamus, I know this sockpuppet isn't even a week old, and already it's
>>showing enormous holes needing to be retired. It has no concept of old age.

>>Carter is over 91. Old age is going to kill him, not the cancer. He
>>cannot possibly prolong his life with oncology and surgery, and there's
>>simply no cure for old age. Unlike you and your endless pile of dirty
>>laundry, human beings cannot just pull out new socks.

>To address the small portion of your vomitus that is not lunacy that is
>"not even wrong" but instead is just plain wrong:

>The maximum observed human lifespan, as of this writing, is 123.

Those people never had cancer.

>Centenarians are not particularly uncommon.

Those people never had cancer.

>Ergo, Carter might well have ten years still in him, and theoretically
>up to 32, before old age kills him.

Not with cancer.

>The cancer, if left untreated, will certainly kill him much sooner
>than even ten years. If it is treated, it is fairly likely to do so
>anyway, but is not guaranteed to.

He'd live out his days much happier and much more productively without
undergoing cancer treatment.

>What would ten years of extra life be worth to *you*?

I'm not deluded that getting cancer is a prescription for long life.

Time for a new sock, seamus. This one's done.

Nawskrad

Nov 30, 2015, 10:07:05 PM11/30/15
So, your claim is that nobody has ever lived to a ripe old age after a
cancer that was treated?

Well, that one is easy to smack out of the park:

http://www.cancer.org/treatment/survivorshipduringandaftertreatment/storiesofhope/57-year-breast-cancer-survivor-to-celebrate-90th-birthday

Treated, then cancer free for 57 years and counting.

Try harder next time, kook.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 11:13:02 PM11/30/15
Tell us about a 90 year old.

David Johnston

Dec 1, 2015, 3:43:08 PM12/1/15
On 11/30/2015 9:39 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. . . .
>
> Interesting experience. You were right to refuse.
>
>> The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
>> who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
>> foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
>> hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
>> myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
>> (customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
>> to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.
>
> Absolutely correct, like the absurdity of American girls being presented
> to British royalty who have been instructed to curtsy. Not being subject
> of foreign monarchs, we don't demonstrate fealty.

That's a little different. Nobody should in fact bow or curtsey to
royalty who just happen to be walking past unless they're working for
the royalty in question. But formal royal presentations are relics of a
past where a curtsey wasn't a demonstration of fealty but just common
courtesy for any girl being introduced to someone older or in a position
of authority even if it wasn't over her. It would take outright
kneeling to be fealty. If one doesn't feel like a little historical
re-enactment there's no point in going to a royal presentation. It's
like going to a battle re-enactment and not saluting when it would have
been appropriate.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 1, 2015, 3:44:59 PM12/1/15
Given that you're an actor recreating a chain of command, bad analogy.

David Johnston

Dec 1, 2015, 3:48:49 PM12/1/15
On 11/30/2015 10:19 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <n3hu46$m6g$4...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>>
>>> When I was in College I got a summer job cleaning dorm rooms. . . .
>>
>> Interesting experience. You were right to refuse.
>>
>>> The other notable memory from that job was the head guy (the same one
>>> who said I had to sign the contract to get paid) told us there was a
>>> foreign prince enrolling as a student and if we encountered him in the
>>> hallway, we should bow. I didn't say this out loud but I thought to
>>> myself, I'm an American; we do *not* bow before foreign royalty
>>> (customary Japanese bows notwithstanding). There was no way I was going
>>> to bow before him if he showed up but he never did while I was there.
>>
>> Absolutely correct, like the absurdity of American girls being presented
>> to British royalty who have been instructed to curtsy. Not being subject
>> of foreign monarchs, we don't demonstrate fealty.
>>
>> I don't like it that so many former American public officials continue to be
>> addressed by their former title either. That's improper. At least we
>> don't have to bow.
>
> I've always been perplexed at the pulp novels, like Doc Savage, where ex
> military are addressed and referred to by their rank forever:
>
> Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Blodgett Mayfair
> Brigadier General Theodore Marley Brooks
> Colonel John Renwick
> Major Thomas J. Roberts
>
> So how do I differentiate these guys from active military? Shouldn't
> they have 'ret' after their names or something?

Well they do. It's just not usually said out loud (although it was and
maybe still is common for retired officers to add "retired" to their
names when first introducing themselves to someone who wouldn't know).
The really amusing guys back in the day were the ones particularly from
the south who financed a militia in wartime just so they could have the
honor of adding a legit "Colonel" to their names afterward.

BTR1701

Dec 1, 2015, 4:00:20 PM12/1/15
In article <n3l0s8$q42$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

I see at as a "When in Rome" sort of thing.

I'm an atheist, but when I visited the Vatican, I respected their
traditions and requirements.

If curtseying is customary when meeting the Queen at Buckingham Palace,
then curtsey, for god's sake, or don't go to the event if it bothers you
that much.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 1, 2015, 4:22:43 PM12/1/15
What, like Bill and Hillary taking communion? Kissing the ring? Doing any
of those things would be wrong.

Taking off your shoes in a mosque is different.

>If curtseying is customary when meeting the Queen at Buckingham Palace,
>then curtsey, for god's sake, or don't go to the event if it bothers you
>that much.

I'm thinking of situations when royals are visiting the United States
and curtseying U.S. citizens are presented to them. That's wrong.

At her house?

Here's some advice for interacting with Royalty, but it's aimed at subjects,
not foreign citizens.

http://heralds.westkingdom.org/ClassHandouts/InteractingWithRoyalty.htm

I'm not finding anything instructing foreigners to bow or curtsy.

I think an ambassador would show fealty to the foreign monarch of the
country he serves in, or something like that, but I can't think of any
other circumstances in which it would be appropriate for a non-subject
to do so.

Nawskrad

Dec 9, 2015, 4:38:21 AM12/9/15
Fine:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/07/jimmy-carters-remission-illustrates-power-new-cancer-drugs/76916198/

Another day, another kook spnak-ed.

Any advice on what this loon should be nominated for? Besides a Bobo if
his "sage advice" has ever gotten a cancer patient killed, that is?

Loony Maroon seems like it might fit, especially as he's also exhibited
delusional beliefs in which he sees a fair number of the posters to this
newsgroup (rec.arts.tv) as all being sockpuppets of some bogeyman called
"Seamus", without a shred of supporting evidence. Seems to be
contagious, too, as there's a few others here with similar beliefs,
though none have it nearly as bad as Kerman here.

If I were a professional, I might be inclined to diagnose him as a
clinical paranoid with possible persecutory fantasies and maybe also a
deathwish, which he then projects onto others. If I were a professional. :)

I'm gonna assume you already have someone much more interesting lined up
for KotM, so he's unlikely to even come close to that coveted title...

Checkmate, DoW #1

Dec 9, 2015, 4:56:14 AM12/9/15
In article <n48slm$gga$1...@dont-email.me>, naws...@nospam.invalid says...
Didn't you get the memo? The ko0k awards are no more. I destroyed
them, with a little help from many others. Gary was run out of AUK for
incompetency and dereliction of duty.

Followup to rec.arts.tv only denied.

--
Checkmate, AUK DoW #1
Official AUK Award Giver-Outer

Nawskrad

Dec 9, 2015, 5:04:46 AM12/9/15
Another kook heard from. Has whoever is the current FNVW handed you a
Tinfoil Sombrero yet?

Checkmate, DoW #1

Dec 9, 2015, 9:56:29 AM12/9/15
In article <n48u77$ks8$2...@dont-email.me>, naws...@nospam.invalid says...
Heh... he threatened me with one, but I have a HoT from back when Fred
Hall was the FNVW. Lamentably, the last REAL FNVW before Gary begged
PJR to anoint him with the job, and made a complete tit of himself and a
mockery of the position. After I criticized his piss-poor performance,
he took it personally, so I destroyed him. As it stands, I'm the first
person in the history of AUK to successfully accomplish that, but I
couldn't have done it without Gary's ineptitude to help me.

So, to reiterate... the ko0k Awards are no more.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 9, 2015, 10:01:17 AM12/9/15
Carter hasn't lived another 10 years, but congratulations on your declaration
of victory.

>Another day, another kook spnak-ed.

Don't forget to buy yourself an engraved trophy.

>Any advice on what this loon should be nominated for? Besides a Bobo if
>his "sage advice" has ever gotten a cancer patient killed, that is?

>Loony Maroon seems like it might fit, especially as he's also exhibited
>delusional beliefs in which he sees a fair number of the posters to this
>newsgroup (rec.arts.tv) as all being sockpuppets of some bogeyman called
>"Seamus", without a shred of supporting evidence. Seems to be
>contagious, too, as there's a few others here with similar beliefs,
>though none have it nearly as bad as Kerman here.

>If I were a professional, I might be inclined to diagnose him as a
>clinical paranoid with possible persecutory fantasies and maybe also a
>deathwish, which he then projects onto others. If I were a professional. :)

>I'm gonna assume you already have someone much more interesting lined up
>for KotM, so he's unlikely to even come close to that coveted title...

You've tried this all before, seamus. It's never gone very well for you.

Skeeter

Dec 9, 2015, 10:43:53 AM12/9/15
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 05:04:38 -0500, Nawskrad <naws...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
Yer a special kind of stupid aint ya?

Skeeter

Dec 9, 2015, 10:44:34 AM12/9/15
On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 05:04:38 -0500, Nawskrad <naws...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

You're a special kind of stupid aint ya?