QL: A Single Drop of Rain

1 view

Miriam Ferziger

Mar 20, 1992, 6:44:34 PM3/20/92

Following is plagiarized and excerpted from the premier issue of Quantum
What?

Quantum What? is an "interactive" newsletter available by writing Connie
Avino, 1021 S. Elgin, Forest Park, IL 60130. The first two issues are
available free of charge, while they figure out how much to soak people:-)

"A Single Drop of Rain" is a metaphor for life. Clinton says in his
infectious manner, "Water vapor is ALWAYS in the air. I know it seems
impossible, but it's true. It's here right now. It's all around us. The
problem is getting it to form into little drops and fall to the ground."

Yes. That's the problem alright. All around us are miracles just waiting
to happen. But too often we don't believe so they don't happen.

This show is about going against conventional wisdom, putting our eggs in
one basket and going for broke. This show is about risks and about faith.
Most of us don't dare the first or chance the second often enough. But Sam
Beckett does. Facing droughts all over the place - Ralph and Annie's dried
up marriage, Ralph's shriveled relationship with his brother, the lack of
information from Ziggy to help him, and even Al's certainty that it would
not rain -- it seemed like a hopeless situation, but Sam says "No!" to all
these droughts. He says, "Don't look with your eyes. Look with your
hearts. The rain is gonna come."

Most of us could see ourselves played out in this episode. We waste time
and we waste miracles accepting things as they are ("This drought has dried
up a lot of souls, Billy. It's not gonna take a whole lot of your hot air
to blow us all away"); waiting for Someday ("Some day this whole thing's
gonna work and then you'll turn over the whole shootin' match to me");
settling for something less ("They won't be any worse off than they were
before, Sam... and they'll have a nice party to remember". But every
once and a while we rise to the occasion, and we grab that miracle out of
the air, and watch it played out in the choices we make. We see the
miracle in our husbands, our wives and our children. We see it in our
friendships, old and knew [sic]. We watch it in a sunrise. We feel it
when we remember all the special moments of our lives. And at those times
we're a lot like Sam because we *know*, "The most important thing is you
gotta have faith. If you believe, miracles can happen."

But be careful. Miracles can overwhelm so "you better learn how to swim!"

Darlene Lewis sort of, like, lives in Des Moins, IA and in real life she
works and works out at the YWCA.

End of copyright infringement.

I rather like the episode reviews that were published in the premiere, and
since I don't think that Connie and Darlene will mind me posting them here
(as long as I give 'em credit!), I plan on posting their reviews in whole
or part as eps they've reviewed are rerun.

Miriam Ferziger | DISCLAIMER:
hf....@forsythe.stanford.edu | If any of the above fails to make sense, it
| is because I was born with a silver foot in
| my mouth and have a mind like a steel sieve.
QUOTE: "Quantum physicists are quarky lovers, just ask Donna!" (me)