Mission: Impossible- Whatever happened to Dan Briggs?

Joseph B McGlinchey

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95
Hi! One of my favorites shows of all time is Mission: Impossible. The
most well-known figure identified with the show is of course, Peter
Graves, as Jim Phelps, the leader of the team. But for the first,
season, the team had a different leader, named Dan Briggs, played by
Steven Hill (who now plays the District Attorney Adam Schiff on Law &
Order, another excellent show with a whirlwind of cast changes). I
actually always liked Briggs better than Phelps, because he seemed more
mysterious and kind of ruthless (which I suspect the leader of the team
would have to be, if such a thing existed in real life). I know that
Hill quit because he was an orthodox Jew and the show's filming schedule
conflicted with the Sabbath (that, and he didn't get along with some of
the producers). But what I want to know is, did they ever explain on the
show whatever happened to Dan Briggs and why he was replaced by Jim Phelps?

Joe McGlinchey
Teachers College
Columbia University

Karl Engel

Oct 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/14/95

In a word: No.

M:I was notorius for bringing members of the "team" in and out without
any explanation. In fact (and I may be wrong about this), but I think
that the only time that they *did* bother to explain, was when Lynda
Day George was out on maternity leave during part of the last season.
They brought in Barbara Anderson using the excuse that Lynda Day
George's character "Casey" was on assignment in Europe.

I think that a scene introducing Lesley Ann Warren's character in the
5th season was in the script but not used in the actual episode.

The book, "The Complete Mission: Impossible Dossier" is now
unfortunately out of print, but a new edition is due out to tie in
with the movie. It will teach you everything about the show that you
will ever want to know.

-KE

Karl Engel | cas...@ix.netcom.com
http://www.geopages.com/TheTropics/1899

BRIAN

Oct 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/15/95

>The book, "The Complete Mission: Impossible Dossier" is now
>unfortunately out of print, but a new edition is due out to tie in
>with the movie. It will teach you everything about the show that you
>will ever want to know.

Here's something I read here some weeks ago...

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE DOSSIER

You can order the book through the mail directley from the author:

Patrick J. White
120 West 3rd Street, #8
New York, NY 10012

Write him first to get shipping charges, etc., but he is very
reasonable and a very nice guy. He'll even sign your book for you if
you would like.

So if you get impatient waiting for the revised edition...

BRIAN (br...@ritz.mordor.com)

Jeffrey Keezel

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
Joseph B McGlinchey writes:

<SNIP>

> But what I want to know is, did they ever explain on the
> show whatever happened to Dan Briggs and why he was replaced by Jim Phelps?

It seems to me that they did not explain it. Just started the
new season off with Peter Graves. Kind of gave you the
impression that these gov't agent types were pretty
interchangable. I'm with you on preferring Dan Briggs - but
hey, we all watched to see Cinnamon!

thekeez
--
Jeff Keezel Acting Director Media and Technology Center
Union Theological Seminary in Virginia

user

Oct 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/18/95
jke...@leo.vsla.edu (Jeffrey Keezel) wrote:

>Joseph B McGlinchey writes:
. I'm with you on preferring Dan Briggs - but
>hey, we all watched to see Cinnamon!
>
>thekeez
>--
>Jeff Keezel Acting Director Media and Technology Center
> Union Theological Seminary in Virginia
> jke...@leo.vsla.edu
Just an aside here: Isn't funny that, in spite of the show's
[inexplicable] popularity at the time, I've NEVER met or known of anyone
born then ( or EVER) who was named Cinnamon yet I've never met a
Michelle who was older than the Beatles song! Funny how ( and
which)names become hot! You can alway tell that a woman named Marlene is
between 35 and 65 - the era when Dietrich's career was hot( incidently,
she invented the first name herself when she was thirteen in order to be
different from everyone else) ! And there are VERY few Gretas or Shirleys
under 50! Excuse the digression, Just thought I'd bring it up for your
perusal . . Walk Far and Proud,
Leon A. Helguera
e-mail:tri...@isdn.net