[OT] Trudeau blows German deal; London "cancels" schools

Rhino

Dec 2, 2022, 6:55:29 PM12/2/22
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-germany-qatar-gas

The first item in this summary describes how the Chancellor of Germany
made a rare trip to Canada a few months back, eager to make a deal to
buy all the LNG (liquid natural gas) we could produce to replace what
they had been getting from Russia. Trudeau blew him off with the claim
that it wouldn't be worth the bother for a two or three year transition
power and instead tried to sell Germany some "green" hydrogen. (We're
hoping to build a pilot plant a few years from now and would take
considerably longer to scale that up to anything that would help Germany
very much.) Now the Germans have made a deal with Qatar that will go at
least 15 years. Trudeau looks SO foolish but I guess he gets to keep his
"street cred" with the enviro-loonies for preventing the deal.

Meanwhile London (Ontario) seems to feel it necessary to rename King
Charles III school (which must be either a new school or a new name for
an old one because I used to live in London and there was no such school
then), and also FDR public school (which goes back many decades).
Clearly, the local school board is in the thrall of the "woke" cult.

--
Rhino

RichA

Dec 2, 2022, 8:40:36 PM12/2/22
Monkeys, they all belong in zoos as examples of soon-to-be-extinct animals.

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 5:23:37 AM12/3/22
Well anonyshitted.

The Horny Goat

Dec 4, 2022, 6:36:41 PM12/4/22
Essentially the Canadian problem is that the government of Quebec
expects to be able to go on getting $5-10B/yr subsidies from Alberta
(and about an equal amount from the other "have" provinces) while the
feds are too chicken to point out to them that pipeline construction
is a federal not a provincial area of jurisdiction.

As such Canada does not have oil + gas export pipelines to its east
coast ports. Obviously shipping petroleum products to Europe from
Vancouver is a non-starter so the exports you're talking about aren't
happening. Absolutely no question that if we did Canada could supply
all of Europe and Putin could pound sand.

On your other point I have heard no suggestion of renaming Sir Winston
Churchill secondary school in Vancouver and he is the only foreigner
(other than royals) any school around here is named for. There USED to
be a Prince Charles elementary school quite close to where I live but
that was closed and repurposed some 20-25 years ago.

It primarily served the mentally handicapped but then "mainstreaming"
became the order of the day. Now it's mostly used as a resource center
for local schools and they do some English as a Second Language
instruction there too.

Rhino

Dec 4, 2022, 8:30:45 PM12/4/22
Why "obviously"? We could put oil in tankers and ship it to Germany,
assuming we could get it to Vancouver in the first place. (Trudeau
bought the Kinder-Morgan pipeline that was supposed to greatly increase
pipeline capacity from Alberta to BC but I haven't heard a progress
report in years. Is construction ongoing or is it still being held up by
"activists" who never seem to get arrested or charged?)

I assume we'd want double-hulled tankers used to minimize the chance of
oil spills but that would seem possible.

> On your other point I have heard no suggestion of renaming Sir Winston
> Churchill secondary school in Vancouver and he is the only foreigner
> (other than royals) any school around here is named for. There USED to
> be a Prince Charles elementary school quite close to where I live but
> that was closed and repurposed some 20-25 years ago.

It surprises me that London, Ontario had a school named King Charles
III. I don't see how that could have happened until the Queen died
because until he ascended to the throne, it wasn't clear that he would
*BE* King Charles III. (He could have chosen one of his other given
names since there's ample precedent for that.) That implies the school
was only given that name in September this year (or later) so the
"activists" certainly ramped up their protests in double-quick time to
start demanding a name change so quickly! Or maybe they've already taken
over the school board and are changing everything they don't find
"progressive" enough. With 4 years until the next school board
elections, it's probably the ideal time to act with impunity.

--
Rhino

The Horny Goat

Dec 7, 2022, 12:23:35 AM12/7/22
On Sun, 4 Dec 2022 20:30:34 -0500, Rhino
<no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:

>On 2022-12-04 6:36 PM, The Horny Goat wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Dec 2022 18:55:22 -0500, Rhino
>> <no_offlin...@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>> https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/canada-germany-qatar-gas
>>>
>>> The first item in this summary describes how the Chancellor of Germany
>>> made a rare trip to Canada a few months back, eager to make a deal to
>>> buy all the LNG (liquid natural gas) we could produce to replace what
>>> they had been getting from Russia. Trudeau blew him off with the claim
>>> that it wouldn't be worth the bother for a two or three year transition
>>> power and instead tried to sell Germany some "green" hydrogen. (We're
>>> hoping to build a pilot plant a few years from now and would take
>>> considerably longer to scale that up to anything that would help Germany
>>> very much.) Now the Germans have made a deal with Qatar that will go at
>>> least 15 years. Trudeau looks SO foolish but I guess he gets to keep his
>>> "street cred" with the enviro-loonies for preventing the deal.

Most of the trouble with protesters in BC resolves around a particular
native "nation" where there are both hereditary and elected chiefs
with the former anti and the latter pro pipeline. NATURALLY the
provincial government feels they have to deal with both and seem to be
swinging to the hereditary group.

>>> Meanwhile London (Ontario) seems to feel it necessary to rename King
>>> Charles III school (which must be either a new school or a new name for
>>> an old one because I used to live in London and there was no such school
>>> then), and also FDR public school (which goes back many decades).
>>> Clearly, the local school board is in the thrall of the "woke" cult.

If they were wanting to change it from "Prince Charles" to "King
Charles" it wouldn't be in the news - but that's NOT what's proposed
is it?

I have not dared to ask my sister in law how she feels about the
"cancelling" of Edgerton Ryerson whose college in Toronto is/was her
alma mater.

>> Essentially the Canadian problem is that the government of Quebec
>> expects to be able to go on getting $5-10B/yr subsidies from Alberta
>> (and about an equal amount from the other "have" provinces) while the
>> feds are too chicken to point out to them that pipeline construction
>> is a federal not a provincial area of jurisdiction.
>>
>> As such Canada does not have oil + gas export pipelines to its east
>> coast ports. Obviously shipping petroleum products to Europe from
>> Vancouver is a non-starter so the exports you're talking about aren't
>> happening. Absolutely no question that if we did Canada could supply
>> all of Europe and Putin could pound sand.
>>
>Why "obviously"? We could put oil in tankers and ship it to Germany,
>assuming we could get it to Vancouver in the first place. (Trudeau
>bought the Kinder-Morgan pipeline that was supposed to greatly increase
>pipeline capacity from Alberta to BC but I haven't heard a progress
>report in years. Is construction ongoing or is it still being held up by
>"activists" who never seem to get arrested or charged?)

Well obviously it's not physically impossible to move it either by
rail or truck to Halifax but economically I hope you would agree it's
going to be tough.

And after the Lac Magantic disaster of 2013 I am highly dubious that
the Government of Quebec would grant a licence to any company that
wanted to move petrochemicals through Quebec by rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-M%C3%A9gantic_rail_disaster

Again - Quebec is fast to demand "equalization payments" (primarily
from Alberta) but rejects shipments of the oil + gas those revenues
are based on.

Which is PARTICULARLY egregious given that Quebec gets about 15% more
seats in Parliament based on their population compared to Alberta. Can
you spell "screwed both financially AND electorally" en Francais?

>I assume we'd want double-hulled tankers used to minimize the chance of
>oil spills but that would seem possible.

There is talk of mandating that in Canadian waters particularly in the
Arctic but I'm pretty sure that's not in place yet.

>> On your other point I have heard no suggestion of renaming Sir Winston
>> Churchill secondary school in Vancouver and he is the only foreigner
>> (other than royals) any school around here is named for. There USED to
>> be a Prince Charles elementary school quite close to where I live but
>> that was closed and repurposed some 20-25 years ago.
>>
>It surprises me that London, Ontario had a school named King Charles
>III. I don't see how that could have happened until the Queen died
>because until he ascended to the throne, it wasn't clear that he would
>*BE* King Charles III. (He could have chosen one of his other given
>names since there's ample precedent for that.) That implies the school
>was only given that name in September this year (or later) so the
>"activists" certainly ramped up their protests in double-quick time to
>start demanding a name change so quickly! Or maybe they've already taken
>over the school board and are changing everything they don't find
>"progressive" enough. With 4 years until the next school board
>elections, it's probably the ideal time to act with impunity.

Are you absolutely certain it was KING Charles? There are of course
umpteen Canadian schools named for PRINCE Charles.

Ironically enough there is also a high school in Calgary named
Viscount Bennett which is ironic since that's R B Bennett Canadian
Prime Minister who suffered what was in 1935 suffered the most
humiliating electoral loss in Canadian history (I'd argue the 1993
record would be hard to beat) He didn't take that title until he went
to England never to return to Canada till his death.

>> It primarily served the mentally handicapped but then "mainstreaming"
>> became the order of the day. Now it's mostly used as a resource center
>> for local schools and they do some English as a Second Language
>> instruction there too.

Given declining enrollments ESL classes are a reasonable use for it.