Jessica Jones...Is Taking Viewers by Storm: Not A Bad Review In Sight

jess stone

Nov 20, 2015, 11:06:07 AM11/20/15
http://www.eonline.com/news/717453/why-jessica-jones-netflix-s-damaged-deadpan-superhero-is-taking-viewers-by-storm

In the age of peak TV, viewers have many, many, many choices when it
comes to TV offerings. There's your standard broadcast networks, the
cable networks, your streaming platforms like Netflix and Amazon, your
video game consoles, etc. The list seriously can go on and on. There's
close to 2,000 shows out there and more and more they're based on
stories and characters you're familiar with from comic books. The
latest, Marvel's Jessica Jones, dropped on Netflix on Friday, Nov. 20
and there's something very different about Krysten Ritter's new series
and the titular character she plays.

"Jessica Jones is a very different kind of superhero. She is not
noble, she's not out trying to save the city and right every wrong,
she's really just trying to make her rent, to 'make a goddamn living
in this goddamn town,' as Brian Michael Bendis wrote," executive
producer Melissa Rosenberg told E! News at the premiere of Jessica
Jones. "She's just a very real, very complex, very damaged
character...we've never seen a superhero go through what she has gone
through."

<While Eonline does not have the gravitas of say THR or Variety I have
yet to read a bad review of this one.>

Obveeus

Nov 30, 2015, 11:03:09 AM11/30/15

On 11/20/2015 11:06 AM, jess stone wrote:
> http://www.eonline.com/news/717453/why-jessica-jones-netflix-s-damaged-deadpan-superhero-is-taking-viewers-by-storm

> "Jessica Jones is a very different kind of superhero. She is not
> noble, she's not out trying to save the city and right every wrong,
> she's really just trying to make her rent, to 'make a goddamn living
> in this goddamn town,' as Brian Michael Bendis wrote," executive
> producer Melissa Rosenberg told E! News at the premiere of Jessica
> Jones. "She's just a very real, very complex, very damaged
> character...we've never seen a superhero go through what she has gone
> through."
>
> <While Eonline does not have the gravitas of say THR or Variety I have
> yet to read a bad review of this one.>

Having seen the series I will say:

1. Krysten Ritter does well in this role. She is laughably too tiny to
actually look tough, but such is the nature of comic book physical
powers. Still, she plays it well and adds in a great job of drinking,
grumping, pouting, etc... as the role requires.

2. David Tennant does a terrific job as the main bad guy. He captures
the fun/camp of comic book super villains wonderfully.

3. I liked most of the rest of the cast, except for the mustache
twirling soap opera style of Carrie-Anne Moss as the evil lawyer and the
annoying distraction of the twin neighbors.

This series is not as good as DAREDEVIL, but it is still leaps and
bounds better than SUPERGIRL/GOTHAM/FLASH.

Speaking of DAREDEVIL...the crossover character here should have been
introduced earlier and gotten more screen time.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 12:05:39 PM11/30/15
In article <n3hrr9$k1e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 11/20/2015 11:06 AM, jess stone wrote:
> > http://www.eonline.com/news/717453/why-jessica-jones-netflix-s-damaged-deadp
> > an-superhero-is-taking-viewers-by-storm
>
> > "Jessica Jones is a very different kind of superhero. She is not
> > noble, she's not out trying to save the city and right every wrong,
> > she's really just trying to make her rent, to 'make a goddamn living
> > in this goddamn town,' as Brian Michael Bendis wrote," executive
> > producer Melissa Rosenberg told E! News at the premiere of Jessica
> > Jones. "She's just a very real, very complex, very damaged
> > character...we've never seen a superhero go through what she has gone
> > through."
> >
> > <While Eonline does not have the gravitas of say THR or Variety I have
> > yet to read a bad review of this one.>
>
> Having seen the series I will say:
>
> 1. Krysten Ritter does well in this role. She is laughably too tiny to
> actually look tough, but such is the nature of comic book physical
> powers. Still, she plays it well and adds in a great job of drinking,
> grumping, pouting, etc... as the role requires.

Yes. A few times the Bitch From Apt. 23 peeked out, but that was
probably inevitable. She's not tiny when you see her next to, for
instance, her conventionally attractive sister, but she's certainly
slight.

> 2. David Tennant does a terrific job as the main bad guy. He captures
> the fun/camp of comic book super villains wonderfully.

He even wears purple suits, at least sometimes. It was funny how he
didn't seem any different from the Doctor, but was effortlessly evil.
He was more ingratiating than his characters in Gracechurch or
Broadpoint.

> 3. I liked most of the rest of the cast, except for the mustache
> twirling soap opera style of Carrie-Anne Moss as the evil lawyer and the
> annoying distraction of the twin neighbors.

I liked Moss at the start, but as it went, she got worse and worse. It
was impossible to believe that her assistant (Pam?) had genuine feelings
for her. BUT ... if you had had one bit of belief in her character
left, one drop of empathy, you would *never* buy her disabling the
hermetically sealed chamber. Even as much as I hated her and thought
she was a useless despicable idiot by that point, I still didn't buy it.

I hated her neighbors.

I liked her sister, but I almost turned the series off (in retrospect I
wish I had) when she let the murderous cop in (I guess this is why we
had to suffer through all the stuff with her abusive mother, to justify
her idiotic behavior). And then again when she shot through the
hermetically sealed glass at Kilgrave (one 'L' only, because that's
creative!). These aren't the actions of a smart, bright, rich,
successful, and scared woman; I'd have bought it from the idiot twin
sister though.

> This series is not as good as DAREDEVIL, but it is still leaps and
> bounds better than SUPERGIRL/GOTHAM/FLASH.

Here we vary wildly. I won't watch another frame of JJ unless they kick
Melissa Rosenberg off of it. I'll still watch SUPERGIRL/GOTHAM/FLASH.
I'm even watching Arrow this week for the crossover.

> Speaking of DAREDEVIL...the crossover character here should have been
> introduced earlier and gotten more screen time.

Yes. They also shouldn't have just met her by accident. But then JJ
shouldn't have just met Luke by accident either.

--
New sig pending

EGK

Nov 30, 2015, 12:22:42 PM11/30/15
Pretty much agree with your complaints about JJ but I'd watch more of it and
will watch Luke Cage when that's out. I don't even compare a show like that
to Flash or Arrow or especially Supergirl. I find them much more
sophomoric. That doesn't mean I hate them. They're ok for what they are
but it's just apples and oranges for me.

All the critics raving about Jessica Jones makes them look like lemmings
though. The hype told them it was "adult" and they were supposed to like it
so they do. As we both mentioned in the other thread,, starting at about
the half-way point, it was getting harder and harder to slog through to the
end. They really only had plot enough for half the season. By the end I
was glad it was over.

Contrast that to my opininion of The Man In The High Castle which came out
the same day and was also hyped quite a bit. I have a couple of episodes
left of that and how it ends will color my opinion a lot but at the same
point where JJ started to drag, this show has left me eager for more.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 12:46:18 PM11/30/15
In article <dn0p5bl0p669tk145...@4ax.com>,
Yeah

I don't even compare a show like that
> to Flash or Arrow or especially Supergirl. I find them much more
> sophomoric. That doesn't mean I hate them. They're ok for what they are
> but it's just apples and oranges for me.
>
> All the critics raving about Jessica Jones makes them look like lemmings

Yes - or, they only watched the first 4 eps.

> though. The hype told them it was "adult" and they were supposed to like it
> so they do. As we both mentioned in the other thread,, starting at about
> the half-way point, it was getting harder and harder to slog through to the
> end. They really only had plot enough for half the season. By the end I
> was glad it was over.

Very much so. I don't believe those raving critics watched all 13 hours.

> Contrast that to my opininion of The Man In The High Castle which came out
> the same day and was also hyped quite a bit. I have a couple of episodes
> left of that and how it ends will color my opinion a lot but at the same
> point where JJ started to drag, this show has left me eager for more.

I watched the pilot way back when and liked it a lot, just haven't
gotten around to the series yet.

--
New sig pending

icebreaker

Nov 30, 2015, 4:12:48 PM11/30/15
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:05:34 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <n3hrr9$k1e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 11/20/2015 11:06 AM, jess stone wrote:
>> > http://www.eonline.com/news/717453/why-jessica-jones-netflix-s-damaged-deadp
>> > an-superhero-is-taking-viewers-by-storm
>>
>> > "Jessica Jones is a very different kind of superhero. She is not
>> > noble, she's not out trying to save the city and right every wrong,
>> > she's really just trying to make her rent, to 'make a goddamn living
>> > in this goddamn town,' as Brian Michael Bendis wrote," executive
>> > producer Melissa Rosenberg told E! News at the premiere of Jessica
>> > Jones. "She's just a very real, very complex, very damaged
>> > character...we've never seen a superhero go through what she has gone
>> > through."
>> >
>> > <While Eonline does not have the gravitas of say THR or Variety I have
>> > yet to read a bad review of this one.>
>>
>> Having seen the series I will say:
>>
>> 1. Krysten Ritter does well in this role. She is laughably too tiny to
>> actually look tough, but such is the nature of comic book physical
>> powers. Still, she plays it well and adds in a great job of drinking,
>> grumping, pouting, etc... as the role requires.
>
>Yes. A few times the Bitch From Apt. 23 peeked out, but that was
>probably inevitable. She's not tiny when you see her next to, for
>instance, her conventionally attractive sister, but she's certainly
>slight.

She's has height but is very slender. In all hionesty the character
admits to being a crappy superhero.

>> 2. David Tennant does a terrific job as the main bad guy. He captures
>> the fun/camp of comic book super villains wonderfully.
>
>He even wears purple suits, at least sometimes. It was funny how he
>didn't seem any different from the Doctor, but was effortlessly evil.
>He was more ingratiating than his characters in Gracechurch or
>Broadpoint.

Yeah I thought he was The Doctor at times. Can he actually act or is
he just the same character all the time with nuance.

>> 3. I liked most of the rest of the cast, except for the mustache
>> twirling soap opera style of Carrie-Anne Moss as the evil lawyer and the
>> annoying distraction of the twin neighbors.
>
>I liked Moss at the start, but as it went, she got worse and worse. It
>was impossible to believe that her assistant (Pam?) had genuine feelings
>for her. BUT ... if you had had one bit of belief in her character
>left, one drop of empathy, you would *never* buy her disabling the
>hermetically sealed chamber. Even as much as I hated her and thought
>she was a useless despicable idiot by that point, I still didn't buy it.
>
>I hated her neighbors.
>
>I liked her sister, but I almost turned the series off (in retrospect I
>wish I had) when she let the murderous cop in (I guess this is why we
>had to suffer through all the stuff with her abusive mother, to justify
>her idiotic behavior). And then again when she shot through the
>hermetically sealed glass at Kilgrave (one 'L' only, because that's
>creative!). These aren't the actions of a smart, bright, rich,
>successful, and scared woman; I'd have bought it from the idiot twin
>sister though.
>>
>> This series is not as good as DAREDEVIL, but it is still leaps and
>> bounds better than SUPERGIRL/GOTHAM/FLASH.
>
>Here we vary wildly. I won't watch another frame of JJ unless they kick
>Melissa Rosenberg off of it. I'll still watch SUPERGIRL/GOTHAM/FLASH.
>I'm even watching Arrow this week for the crossover.

I don't think I'll bother with any more of it. It got worse as it went
along. I never saw the point of the series given how it played out.
Her pairing with Cage was just an abomination afaiwc. I know that's
who she's with in the books, but still.

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 4:21:11 PM11/30/15
In article <dlep5bl81can6t0d3...@4ax.com>,
Ever see him in real life with his real accent? He's completely
unintelligible, at least to me. So he's doing an okay job of acting
right there. :D
Yep

--
New sig pending

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 6:37:01 PM11/30/15
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>icebreaker <icebr...@nowhere.com> wrote:

>>>He even wears purple suits, at least sometimes. It was funny how he
>>>didn't seem any different from the Doctor, but was effortlessly evil.
>>>He was more ingratiating than his characters in Gracechurch or
>>>Broadpoint.

>>Yeah I thought he was The Doctor at times. Can he actually act or is
>>he just the same character all the time with nuance.

>Ever see him in real life with his real accent? He's completely
>unintelligible, at least to me. So he's doing an okay job of acting
>right there. :D

Can David Tennant and Karen Gilan understand each other when not
speaking English in BBC Announcer Dialect?

anim8rfsk

Nov 30, 2015, 8:13:47 PM11/30/15
In article <n3imir$87r$1...@news.albasani.net>,
Oh, God, now, that's funny, right there!

--
New sig pending

RichA

Nov 30, 2015, 8:16:44 PM11/30/15
Liberals like psychological wrecks and homosexual sub-plots.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 30, 2015, 11:10:06 PM11/30/15
I have my moments.

Barry Margolin

Dec 1, 2015, 1:50:36 AM12/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-5723B...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Very much so. I don't believe those raving critics watched all 13 hours.

Critics have to watch lots of TV, they usually have to write their
reviews after seeing just the first episode, maybe two.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

anim8rfsk

Dec 1, 2015, 2:02:41 AM12/1/15
In article <barmar-351F59....@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu>,
Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-5723B...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Very much so. I don't believe those raving critics watched all 13 hours.
>
> Critics have to watch lots of TV, they usually have to write their
> reviews after seeing just the first episode, maybe two.

And I'd have given JJ a good review after just the pilot or two eps as
well. :)

--
New sig pending

Ian J. Ball

Dec 1, 2015, 12:28:41 PM12/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-C5A70...@news.easynews.com>,
Don't make me take a baseball bat to your kneecaps, fellas!!

Ian (Thou shalt speak no ill of the beautiful and lovely Karen Gillan!!

--
"Confirmed. Ass-kicking imminent." - ship's computer, in

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 1, 2015, 2:03:04 PM12/1/15
Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Can David Tennant and Karen Gilan understand each other when not
>>>speaking English in BBC Announcer Dialect?

>>Oh, God, now, that's funny, right there!

>Don't make me take a baseball bat to your kneecaps, fellas!!

>Ian (Thou shalt speak no ill of the beautiful and lovely Karen Gillan!!
>>:\ )

No one spoke ill of Karen Gillan. If she objected, I wouldn't necessarily
understand her. C'mon, Ian, this stuff is hysterical.

She was raised well to the north in Scotland, near Inverness, whereas
Tennant grew up perhaps 75 miles from Edinburgh. It's doubtful that
either could understand the other speaking native dialects.

Aren't you the one who pointed out Miss Gillan's YouTube videos demonstrating
various Scots accents? I have no idea which was her native accent. Good
British actors have to learn a lot of accents.

Funnier still: Doctor Who was produced in Cardiff! How did anybody
communicate on that set? Maybe they all had to learn French.

BTR1701

Sep 30, 2017, 4:54:10 PM9/30/17
In article <anim8rfsk-E2D56...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <n3hrr9$k1e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 11/20/2015 11:06 AM, jess stone wrote:

> > > http://www.eonline.com/news/717453/why-jessica-jones-netflix-s-damaged-dea
> > > dp an-superhero-is-taking-viewers-by-storm

> > 2. David Tennant does a terrific job as the main bad guy. He captures
> > the fun/camp of comic book super villains wonderfully.
>
> He even wears purple suits, at least sometimes. It was funny how he
> didn't seem any different from the Doctor, but was effortlessly evil.
> He was more ingratiating than his characters in Gracechurch or
> Broadpoint.

Whenever anyone asks, "What mutant power would you most like to have?",
Kilgrave's is the one I always respond with.

You can keep super-strength, flying, invisibility, blah, blah. I want
that one. (Of course, with my luck, I'd end up with some kind of
socially unexceptional mutant power, like the ability to blast out
supersonic farts, or the ability to projectile-vomit acid.)

> > 3. I liked most of the rest of the cast, except for the mustache
> > twirling soap opera style of Carrie-Anne Moss as the evil lawyer and the
> > annoying distraction of the twin neighbors.
>
> I liked Moss at the start, but as it went, she got worse and worse. It
> was impossible to believe that her assistant (Pam?) had genuine feelings
> for her.

Just watched the first two episodes of this show.

Agree with your assessment of Moss. I'm just geeking out over the fact
that the law firm where she works is Akin-Gump in NYC. I spent many an
hour on those couple of floors in and around that beautiful reception
area with the panoramic view of the city doing Dem fundraiser site
advances during the last campaign.

I wonder how much production had to pay to shut down several floors of
one of the biggest law firms in the country for as long as it took to
shoot those scenes. Couldn't have been cheap.

Alan Smithee

Oct 9, 2017, 4:52:01 AM10/9/17
On 09/30/2017 05:54 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <anim8rfsk-E2D56...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <n3hrr9$k1e$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
>> wrote:

>>> 2. David Tennant does a terrific job as the main bad guy. He captures
>>> the fun/camp of comic book super villains wonderfully.
>>
>> He even wears purple suits, at least sometimes. It was funny how he
>> didn't seem any different from the Doctor, but was effortlessly evil.
>> He was more ingratiating than his characters in Gracechurch or
>> Broadpoint.
>
> Whenever anyone asks, "What mutant power would you most like to have?",
> Kilgrave's is the one I always respond with.

He is not a mutant.

BTR1701

Oct 9, 2017, 9:34:24 AM10/9/17
Being able to control the mind and behavior of anyone around certainly
isn't a standard human trait.

anim8rfsk

Oct 9, 2017, 1:16:47 PM10/9/17
In article <s-qdnWAMmOhH50bE...@giganews.com>,
Killgrave got his powers by being dumped in a vat of goo, but he's still
classified as a mutant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Man

Sometimes Marvel does that, the explanation being that being dumped in
goo would have killed a standard issue human, so somehow the goo must
have activated a hidden mutation. They keep trying that with
Spider-Man, but nobody really wants Spider-Man to be a villain.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Obveeus

Oct 9, 2017, 1:28:59 PM10/9/17
Mutants aren't all villains. Some of them have Turtle powers. Does
Marvel really classify all mutants as evil? That would explain THE GIFTED.

anim8rfsk

Oct 9, 2017, 1:47:47 PM10/9/17
In article <orgbkp$g7o$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
Yeah, I mean "nobody really wants Spider-Man to be a mutant"

Sorry about that.

~consul

Oct 20, 2017, 1:25:04 PM10/20/17
On 10/9/2017 1:47 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <orgbkp$g7o$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
As odd and arbitrary as it may be, I prefer Spider-Man to get his
powers from a radioactive (mutant) spider bite, than MAGIC.
That's where I draw the line! :D
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here,
at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."

anim8rfsk

Oct 20, 2017, 1:47:59 PM10/20/17
In article <osdbhd$k2$1...@dont-email.me>,
~consul <con...@dolphinsPLEASEdelAWAY-cove.DELcom> wrote:

> On 10/9/2017 1:47 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> >> Mutants aren't all villains. Some of them have Turtle powers. Does
> >> Marvel really classify all mutants as evil? That would explain THE GIFTED.
> > Yeah, I mean "nobody really wants Spider-Man to be a mutant"
> > Sorry about that.
>
> As odd and arbitrary as it may be, I prefer Spider-Man to get his
> powers from a radioactive (mutant) spider bite, than MAGIC.
> That's where I draw the line! :D

Absolutely! :)