ION picks up "Flashpoint" season 5

David

Jan 2, 2012, 11:41:17 PM1/2/12
http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/ion-renews-flashpoint-for-fifth-season/

ION Renews ‘Flashpoint’ For Fifth Season
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: I hear that ION Television has renewed Canadian-produced
cop drama Flashpoint for a fifth season. The broadcast network is
picking up all 13 episodes of the series’ fifth season, set to begin
production in February 2012. Flashpoint, Canada’s most-watched drama
series, has already been renewed north of the border by CTV with a
13-episode fifth season order. Flashpoint was the first of the recent
wave of Canadian scripted series to launch successfully in the U.S.
when it premiered on CBS in 2008. Earlier this year, it became the
first of the Canadian imports to land a U.S. syndication deal in a
complex arrangement with CBS and ION. Under the deal, ION acquired all
episodes from Seasons 1-4 that had aired in the U.S. on CBS along
with 11 first-run (in the U.S.) Season 4 episodes. Since its ION debut
in October, Flashpoint has been growing in the ratings. In its most
recent airing on Dec. 27, the drama posted series highs on the network
in total viewers (2.1 million) and several demos, including adults
25-54 (869,000).

ION has been actively buying off-network rights to drama procedurals,
most recently acquiring TNT’s Leverage. It also has aired several
Canadian drama series, including Durham County, The Border and The
Guard, which all made their U.S. premieres on ION. Flashpoint, about
the lives of a group of police in the Strategic Response Unit, was
created by Mark Ellis and Stephanie Morgenstern. It stars Hugh Dillon,
Enrico Colantoni, Amy Jo Johnson, David Paetkau, Sergio Di Zio and Clé
Bennett, with Anne Marie La Traverse and Bill Mustos serving as
executive producers.

Patty Winter

Jan 2, 2012, 11:49:32 PM1/2/12

In article <nk15g7phnj2uslmai...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/ion-renews-flashpoint-for-fifth-season/
>
>EXCLUSIVE: I hear that ION Television has renewed Canadian-produced
>cop drama Flashpoint for a fifth season.

"Purchased" would be a more accurate verb than "renewed," since the
latter implies providing the money to continue production, and CTV
has already done that, as noted:

> Flashpoint, Canada’s most-watched drama
>series, has already been renewed north of the border by CTV with a
>13-episode fifth season order.

Semantics aside, I'm glad that ION has decided to buy the next season.

> Since its ION debut
>in October, Flashpoint has been growing in the ratings.

Cool!

>ION has been actively buying off-network rights to drama procedurals,
>most recently acquiring TNT’s Leverage. It also has aired several
>Canadian drama series, including Durham County, The Border and The
>Guard, which all made their U.S. premieres on ION.

Although they never aired all of "The Border," did they?

Patty

Ian J. Ball

Jan 3, 2012, 1:02:09 AM1/3/12
On Jan 2, 8:49 pm, Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote:
> In article <nk15g7phnj2uslmaivbgu3nusulhgfv...@4ax.com>,
> David  <dimla...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/ion-renews-flashpoint-for-fifth-season/
>
> >EXCLUSIVE: I hear that ION Television has renewed Canadian-produced
> >cop drama Flashpoint for a fifth season.
>
> "Purchased" would be a more accurate verb than "renewed," since the
> latter implies providing the money to continue production, and CTV
> has already done that, as noted:
>
> > Flashpoint, Canada’s most-watched drama
> >series, has already been renewed north of the border by CTV with a
> >13-episode fifth season order.
>
> Semantics aside, I'm glad that ION has decided to buy the next season.

It sucks - on CBS, I'd watch this. But on Ion? Forget it.

Oh well...

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 3, 2012, 9:52:55 AM1/3/12
I'd prefer it on CBS too. I'm glad I'm at least finally able to watch
Ion in HD.

Obveeus

Jan 3, 2012, 11:34:37 AM1/3/12
If the show is considered to be good, what does it matter which station airs
it?

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 3, 2012, 11:41:37 AM1/3/12
It matters if one network broadcasts in HD and the other broadcasts in
SD (or at least it's HD signal isn't available). It's easier to track
new episodes vs. reruns when a show airs on a network I actually watch.
It also means that CBS will not be airing something else I want to
watch at the same time, possibly forcing me to choose between them.

Patty Winter

Jan 3, 2012, 12:26:48 PM1/3/12

In article <8b2d9836-3654-41f0...@v24g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Ian J. Ball <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:

[unneeded quotage deleted]

>It sucks - on CBS, I'd watch this. But on Ion? Forget it.

Huh?? Why not?

Patty

David

Jan 3, 2012, 12:31:12 PM1/3/12
On 03 Jan 2012 17:26:48 GMT, Patty Winter <pat...@wintertime.com>
wrote:
Ian is boycotting it because it pronounces their name correctly.

Ian J. Ball

Jan 3, 2012, 12:41:33 PM1/3/12
It matters how much trouble it is for me to track down - I don't even
know where Ion is on my channel line-up, and I really don't care to
find out for one (marginal) show, when I already have plenty of other
shows to watch on other channels or off the DVR.

Remysun

Jan 4, 2012, 12:20:06 AM1/4/12
On Jan 3, 11:41 am, Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> It matters if one network broadcasts in HD and the other broadcasts in
> SD (or at least it's HD signal isn't available).  It's easier to track
> new episodes vs. reruns when a show airs on a network I actually watch.
>   It also means that CBS will not be airing something else I want to
> watch at the same time, possibly forcing me to choose between them.

It's an HD feed on cable.