WOKE Scottish school bans "To Kill a Mockingbird."

RichA

Jan 18, 2022, 12:51:13 AM1/18/22
https://conservativeundergroundnews.com/classic-book-banned-for-one-absurd-
woke-reason

Now one classic book was banned for an absurd "woke" reason. A school in
Edinburgh, Scotland has essentially removed To Kill a Mockingbird from the
curriculum because the book features a "white savior.". Allan Crosbie, head of
English at James Gillespie High School, explained: "They are now taught less
frequently because those novels ...

moviePig

Jan 18, 2022, 9:58:43 AM1/18/22
"Atticus" is WHITE?

suzeeq

Jan 18, 2022, 10:37:43 AM1/18/22
Yes.

A Friend

Jan 18, 2022, 11:13:39 AM1/18/22
In article <yAAFJ.362698$IW4....@fx48.iad>, moviePig
Famously so.

FYI Scout isn't a horse.

Rhino

Jan 18, 2022, 11:40:46 AM1/18/22
He was played by Gregory Peck in the movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I've never read the book so I don't know if the character was non-white
in the book. However, in reading the Wikipedia article on the novel, it
appears Atticus Finch is indeed white:

Judge Taylor appoints Atticus [a lawyer and father of Scout, the focal
character] to defend Tom Robinson, a black man who has been accused of
raping a young white woman, Mayella Ewell. Although many of Maycomb's
citizens disapprove, Atticus agrees to defend Tom to the best of his
ability. Other children taunt Jem and Scout for Atticus's actions,
calling him a "nigger-lover".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird

Rhino

BTR1701

Jan 18, 2022, 12:25:12 PM1/18/22
In article <180120221113344228%no...@noway.com>,
What is PETA's position on the dead mockingbird?

A Friend

Jan 18, 2022, 12:29:19 PM1/18/22
In article <atropos-6FC596...@news.giganews.com>, BTR1701
You wouldn't have to kill a dead mockingbird.

Many years ago I had a mockingbird who'd come and sit on the roof right
over the window of my home office. It learned to imitate the sound of
me shaking my Sweet'N Low packets down when I had coffee. We named it
Susie.

anim8rfsk

Jan 18, 2022, 1:42:29 PM1/18/22
Pride. The purpose of PETA is to kill animals to save them from servitude
or captivity.

moviePig

Jan 18, 2022, 2:07:58 PM1/18/22
It was a joke ...though, maybe, one that anybody could be more easily
forgiven for missing than for telling.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 18, 2022, 2:45:19 PM1/18/22
Aren't you flabbergasted whenever moviePig exhibits his utter lack of
knowledge of classic movies adapted from classic books?

Your Name

Jan 18, 2022, 2:45:43 PM1/18/22
Whatever idiot reason, it's thankfully one less incredibly boring book
that school kids will be forced to read ... next up, *PLEASE* ban all
the other garbage books they force you to read at school: Shakepeare's
nonense, "Catcher in the Rye", "Of Mice & Men", etc.

anim8rfsk

Jan 18, 2022, 3:27:19 PM1/18/22
Edith Hamilton’s mythology. You have to work really hard to make the
classic mess that boring.

A Friend

Jan 18, 2022, 3:47:52 PM1/18/22
In article <ss75d2$134m$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Your Name
I read Catcher on my own, and I didn't see what all the fuss was about.
I was assigned Of Mice and Men in high school but didn't bother reading
it. (There was a lot of stuff in high school that I didn't bother to
do. Hell, I didn't even bother watching the movie.)

suzeeq

Jan 18, 2022, 3:56:08 PM1/18/22
I wasn't sure.

suzeeq

Jan 18, 2022, 3:56:33 PM1/18/22
According to him, he was joking.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 18, 2022, 4:48:15 PM1/18/22
Aren't you flabbergasted that he thinks he's funny?

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 18, 2022, 4:50:02 PM1/18/22
I was quite sure that it wasn't funny.

suzeeq

Jan 18, 2022, 5:12:24 PM1/18/22
He's just trying to be a smartass.

trotsky

Jan 18, 2022, 5:14:40 PM1/18/22
Why the fuck do you care you worthless piece of shit?

trotsky

Jan 18, 2022, 5:15:44 PM1/18/22
Hall monitor suzee doesn't get jokes.

Rhino

Jan 18, 2022, 5:20:22 PM1/18/22
The old standby for someone caught saying something stupid....
--
Rhino

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 18, 2022, 5:22:34 PM1/18/22
That he succeeded in being.

Rhino

Jan 18, 2022, 5:27:06 PM1/18/22
Well, you're half right....

--
Rhino

moviePig

Jan 18, 2022, 6:22:54 PM1/18/22
The only thing that let me post it was that I actually found it funnier
than I did politically incorrect. (The joke, fwiw, is the ethnicity
we'd all automatically assign to a unseen random person named
"Atticus".) And, hey, Adam and Rhino got a George & Gracie out of it...

moviePig

Jan 18, 2022, 6:27:05 PM1/18/22
The old insult by someone stupid saying nothing...

trotsky

Jan 18, 2022, 6:48:26 PM1/18/22
And Verman is being a vermin.

RichA

Jan 18, 2022, 6:52:45 PM1/18/22
A common term then, for people not steeped in revisionism.

suzeeq

Jan 18, 2022, 9:08:01 PM1/18/22
You're not half as funny as you think you are.

moviePig

Jan 18, 2022, 10:30:23 PM1/18/22
Okay, who is? Actually, I don't think people, on Usenet anyway, are
funny, but jokes sometimes are. And I thought this one wasn't bad...

Your Name

Jan 18, 2022, 11:41:58 PM1/18/22
Pretty much everything they force kids to read in school is boring
garbage. Then they inaneley ask idiotic questions like "what was the
author thinking when they...?" Who knows. They were probably thinking
'It's time for lunch, better get this chapter finished quick.'

There was only one time when we got to choose *any* book we wanted to
read and then write a 'book report' / review about it (of course there
was little chance the teacher had actually read all the books, so you
could probably get away with writing almost anything and they would
never have known).

anim8rfsk

Jan 19, 2022, 1:01:16 AM1/19/22
We had that. It was called “Paperback Power“
I remember struggling with DUNE and telling Mr. Larabel I didn’t wanna read
anymore and he said that was fine but I had to write a report on why it was
so awful that I wouldn’t read it. :)

trotsky

Jan 19, 2022, 3:50:42 AM1/19/22
Mpig you're screwed, you just got a thumbs down from hall monitor suzee.

A Friend

Jan 19, 2022, 3:36:10 PM1/19/22
In article
<super70s-E80C87...@reader02.eternal-september.org>,
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

> In article <180120221113344228%no...@noway.com>,
> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <yAAFJ.362698$IW4....@fx48.iad>, moviePig
> > <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

> > > "Atticus" is WHITE?
> >

> > Famously so.
> >
> > FYI Scout isn't a horse.
>
> The Boo Radley character could also be classified as a "white savoir"
> couldn't he?

I don't see why not.

The Horny Goat

Jan 19, 2022, 4:07:18 PM1/19/22
On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:01:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>I remember struggling with DUNE and telling Mr. Larabel I didn’t wanna read
>anymore and he said that was fine but I had to write a report on why it was
>so awful that I wouldn’t read it. :)

Good on him for having a sense of humor...

anim8rfsk

Jan 19, 2022, 5:25:11 PM1/19/22
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:01:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I remember struggling with DUNE and telling Mr. Larabel I didn’t wanna read
>> anymore and he said that was fine but I had to write a report on why it was
>> so awful that I wouldn’t read it. :)
>
> Good on him for having a sense of humor...

He was tied for my best teacher in high school. People liked him so much
that Arizona State University snatched him out of the school right in the
middle of the school year!

The Horny Goat

Jan 19, 2022, 8:07:07 PM1/19/22
On Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:30:57 -0600, super70s
<supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>> FYI Scout isn't a horse.

Maybe they're confusing with Tonto's horse :)

Micky DuPree

Feb 1, 2022, 8:13:54 PM2/1/22
A Friend <no...@noway.com> writes:

> I read Catcher [in the Rye] on my own, and I didn't see what all the
> fuss was about.

Neither did I.

> I was assigned Of Mice and Men in high school but didn't bother
> reading it. (There was a lot of stuff in high school that I didn't
> bother to do. Hell, I didn't even bother watching the movie.)

The book isn't bad, I'd say better than the much more lauded _Grapes of
Wrath_. The Burgess Meredith/Lon Chaney, Jr. movie is quite good, I'd
say even better than the book.

-Micky

Your Name

Feb 1, 2022, 11:55:15 PM2/1/22
I was forced to read both of those books at school. I remember nothing
about them, other than they were incredibly tedious rubbish ... just
like Shakespeare's drivel (thankfully we were only forced to read
"Macbeth").

Mind you, it's not only English (literature) classes where they force
kids to do stupid things. There was also "Annie" in boring music class
(I now detest the song "Tomorrow" from that), as well as being forced
to audition for the school choir (in front of the rest of the class!)
even if we were never going to actually join it. Then there's all the
ridiculous sports (PE class, school sports days) and class camps (which
I never bothered to go on). Even worse these days is the moronically
silly class trips overseas, at great expense to the parents!

Adam H. Kerman

Mar 8, 2022, 12:00:58 PM3/8/22
A Friend wrote:
>moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:
>>On 1/18/2022 12:51 AM, RichA wrote:

>>>https://conservativeundergroundnews.com/classic-book-banned-for-one-absurd-woke-reason

>>>Now one classic book was banned for an absurd "woke" reason. A school
>>>in Edinburgh, Scotland has essentially removed To Kill a Mockingbird
>>>from the curriculum because the book features a "white savior.". Allan
>>>Crosbie, head of English at James Gillespie High School, explained:
>>>"They are now taught less frequently because those novels ...

>>"Atticus" is WHITE?

>Famously so.

>FYI Scout isn't a horse.

Speaking of Scout,

Mary Badham plays a supporting role in a touring production of the Aaron
Sorkin adaptation of To Kill a Mockingbird. She'll play Mrs. Dubose, an
important character in the novel whom Scout is sent to sit with even
though she screams at her nonstop and says hateful things. She's dying
but determined to break an addiction to pain killers. The opioid
addiction is dropped in the movie; she's mostly unpleasant.

David Johnston

Mar 8, 2022, 5:33:02 PM3/8/22
On 2022-01-18 7:58 a.m., moviePig wrote:
> On 1/18/2022 12:51 AM, RichA wrote:
>> https://conservativeundergroundnews.com/classic-book-banned-for-one-absurd-
>>
>> woke-reason
>>
>> Now one classic book was banned for an absurd "woke" reason. A school in
>> Edinburgh, Scotland has essentially removed To Kill a Mockingbird from
>> the
>> curriculum because the book features a "white savior.". Allan Crosbie,
>> head of
>> English at James Gillespie High School, explained: "They are now
>> taught less
>> frequently because those novels ...
>
> "Atticus" is WHITE?

He is. But the real problem with that rationale is that he doesn't save
a damn thing in that book if you actually read it. The only person who
saves anything is Boo Radley, who saves Atticus's children from the guy
Atticus infuriates by showing that he and his daughter were lying about
the rape before the jury goes ahead and convicts Robinson anyway.

David Johnston

Mar 8, 2022, 5:35:37 PM3/8/22
On 2022-01-19 1:30 p.m., super70s wrote:
> In article <180120221113344228%no...@noway.com>,
> A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <yAAFJ.362698$IW4....@fx48.iad>, moviePig
>> <pwal...@moviepig.com> wrote:

>>> "Atticus" is WHITE?
>>

>> Famously so.
>>
>> FYI Scout isn't a horse.
>
> The Boo Radley character could also be classified as a "white savoir"
> couldn't he?

Nope. Boo Radley doesn't attempt to come to the aid of any black people.