What Disney Owns

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 12:17:52 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Since Disney bought 20th Century Fox, does that mean they own the ALIEN and
PREDATOR franchises now too?

And they bought Lucasfilm, too, so does that give them ownership of the
INDIANA JONES franchise? Or does that still belong to Paramount?

anim8rfsk

Jan 14, 2022, 1:23:50 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Since Disney bought 20th Century Fox, does that mean they own the ALIEN and
> PREDATOR franchises now too?

ALIEN is unknown.

PREDATOR is a mess:

https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-copyright-legal-battle-disney-sequel/amp/

> And they bought Lucasfilm, too, so does that give them ownership of the
> INDIANA JONES franchise? Or does that still belong to Paramount?

Paramount

https://screenrant.com/disney-plus-no-indiana-jones-movies/

Ed Stasiak

Jan 14, 2022, 2:28:31 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
> BTR1701
When do we get the Alien vs Predator vs Indian Jones flick?

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 2:36:14 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
> When do we get the Alien vs Predator vs Indiana Jones flick?

With 20th Century, Disney must have gotten DIE HARD too. So throw John
McClane into that mix.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 14, 2022, 8:48:50 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
I recently joined the Disney Movie Club so I could gain access to some
exclusive Disney movies that I couldn't buy anywhere else. They
definitely have Fox movies in the club. Some of the newly available Fox
movies is what tipped the scales when I decided to join the club. I
just did a search and both "Live Free or Die Hard" and Alien Vs.
Predator popped up. I was going to say maybe they only have the PG Fox
movies, but they have "Speed" too, and that's "R" rated.

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 9:49:20 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Yeah, the way they took two awesome R-rated franchises and neutered them
into PG-13 dreck is one of the chief reasons ALIEN VS PREDATOR failed.

anim8rfsk

Jan 14, 2022, 9:56:38 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
“Speed” is “R” rated? Why?

A Friend

Jan 14, 2022, 10:01:57 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
In article
<1812004847.663907715.6...@news.easynews.com>,
I'd like to know, too. The original cut was rated R for language, so
they made some minor cuts to get a PG-13. I don't know if the R
version was ever released on video.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 14, 2022, 11:38:37 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
On 1/14/2022 7:01 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <1812004847.663907715.6...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>>> I recently joined the Disney Movie Club so I could gain access to some
>>> exclusive Disney movies that I couldn't buy anywhere else. They
>>> definitely have Fox movies in the club. Some of the newly available Fox
>>> movies is what tipped the scales when I decided to join the club. I
>>> just did a search and both "Live Free or Die Hard" and Alien Vs.
>>> Predator popped up. I was going to say maybe they only have the PG Fox
>>> movies, but they have "Speed" too, and that's "R" rated.
>>>

>> ³Speed² is ³R² rated? Why?

I didn't think of it as an R rated movie either. Maybe the Dennis
Hopper bits? I haven't watched it since around the time of the original
release, and don't remember anything naughty. But it's one of the
movies I bought from Disney so I guess I'll find out soon enough.

> I'd like to know, too. The original cut was rated R for language, so
> they made some minor cuts to get a PG-13. I don't know if the R
> version was ever released on video.

The 4K disc Disney is selling is R.

anim8rfsk

Jan 15, 2022, 1:50:58 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
Ian‘s IMDb article says that it’s rated R for Violence and language. My
best guess would be that there’s a fuck or two in there somewhere back in
the days when a fuck would get you an automatic R.

There was a movie back in the 70s, one of those films like tunnel vision or
Kentucky Fried movie, that started out with the title card saying the movie
was rated G (or whatever the appropriate rating was in those days) and then
went to a spokesman who explained to the audience that movies make a lot
more money if they have a tougher rating and so said to us the audience on
behalf of the movies producers “fuck you“ and the movie cut to a new title
card saying the movie was rated R (or whatever the appropriate rating was
in those days).

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 6:37:44 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
Close! They should have adhered to the comic/graphic novel it came
from. It's unclear if you're cognizant of that but it's unclear if
you're cognizant of anything.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 6:38:28 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
Language you fucking idiot.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 6:43:09 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
You guys are sickening. How could anyone not remember the tag line "Pop
quiz asshole?" Unbelievable. Did you get a fucking gold watch when you
retired? And I haven't seen the movie in at least twenty years.

A Friend

Jan 15, 2022, 8:22:48 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
In article <sruc09$10dl$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
wrote:

> > I didn't think of it as an R rated movie either.  Maybe the Dennis
> > Hopper bits?
>

> You guys are sickening. How could anyone not remember the tag line "Pop
> quiz asshole?" Unbelievable. Did you get a fucking gold watch when you
> retired? And I haven't seen the movie in at least twenty years.

Some of us have had other shit to think about over the past two
decades. Further, a line like "Pop quiz, asshole?" wouldn't get you an
R.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 10:25:39 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
In '94? Can you prove that?

A Friend

Jan 15, 2022, 10:44:33 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
In article <srup1e$uqf$3...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
1994 was not exactly the Dark Ages, you know. "Fuck" would have gotten
you an R, which is why the word was frequently censored in post. (Ex:
Galaxy Quest, a few years later.) But "asshole"? No, there must have
been more to it, but I don't remember Speed well enough to say.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 1:29:05 PM (10 days ago) Jan 15
But you're saying the R rating might have been a mistake? Unfortunately
there seems to be no point here.

A Friend

Jan 15, 2022, 2:23:03 PM (10 days ago) Jan 15
In article <srv3p8$4s7$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
I would say an R rating for Weaver's single use of the word "fuck" in
the Galaxy Quest chompers sequence would have been an overreaction, if
that's what you're asking. The word wasn't directed at anybody. It
was an exclamation. PG-13, fine. Whatever makes the old church ladies
happy. I suppose the powers that be thought the word wasn't worth an R
rating and the accompanying loss of box office revenue.

The Horny Goat

Jan 15, 2022, 11:13:44 PM (10 days ago) Jan 15
On Sat, 15 Jan 2022 10:44:26 -0500, A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

>1994 was not exactly the Dark Ages, you know. "Fuck" would have gotten
>you an R, which is why the word was frequently censored in post. (Ex:
>Galaxy Quest, a few years later.) But "asshole"? No, there must have
>been more to it, but I don't remember Speed well enough to say.

Heck >I< remember a porn movie which was advertised in the newspaper
but was required to have the title bleeped: V***** on the V**** which
turned out to be 'Virgin on the Verge"

Not sure if that was 1994 but it was no further back than the late
1980s....

And I'm pretty sure I remember the a-word from one or more movies like
Dirty Harry or other similar police movies. Am also pretty sure I
remember the word from one or more Bill Murray / John Belushi movies -
maybe it was the Animal House bar hopping scene where they abandon
their girlfriends amidst a group of "brothers"