Barbara Eden - Don't Tell Mama

BTR1701

Sep 28, 2022, 3:24:58 AM9/28/22

anim8rfsk

Sep 28, 2022, 4:53:18 AM9/28/22
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
>
> Sigh...

All she needs is some of Frankie Avalon’s hot licks.

Thank you for posting that.

Seriously.

I mean it.

TomB...@agent.com

Sep 28, 2022, 7:21:19 AM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
>>
>> Sigh...
>>

>All she needs is some of Frankie Avalon’s hot licks.
>
>Thank you for posting that.
>
>Seriously.
>
>I mean it.
I agree. Cabaret is my favorite musical and I have always loved this
song. Babs did a nice job on it.

A Friend

Sep 28, 2022, 8:41:34 AM9/28/22
In article <lbb8jhla86vohiot9...@4ax.com>,
<TomB...@agent.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
> >>
> >> Sigh...
> >>

> >All she needs is some of Frankie Avalon’s hot licks.
> >
> >Thank you for posting that.
> >
> >Seriously.
> >
> >I mean it.
> I agree. Cabaret is my favorite musical

+1

Ubiquitous

Sep 28, 2022, 9:11:05 AM9/28/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
>>
>> Sigh...
>
>All she needs is some of Frankie Avalon's hot licks.

John Barrowman isn't the only one who does that to people?

--
Let's go Brandon!

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 28, 2022, 12:43:30 PM9/28/22
I love you, Barbara.

That's a rearrangement of one of the Kander and Ebb songs from the
1966 musical Cabaret that Sally Bowles performs on stage at the Kit Kat
Klub in Act 1. In the 1972 film, it was replaced by "Mein Herr", which
Liza Minelli performs making love to a chair.

That's a bit of a different take on Sally Bowles.

"Honey, won't you help me with my zipper?"

Yes ma'am.

BTR1701

Sep 28, 2022, 1:44:52 PM9/28/22
In article <th1tjd$d548$3...@dont-email.me>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
>
> >Sigh...
>
> I love you, Barbara.

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 28, 2022, 1:51:08 PM9/28/22
YouTube suggested Barbara singing "Open a New Window" from Mame.

Now, Mame is not one of my favorite musicals but I'm now going to have
to reconsider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzIPxctevNw

One of the comments says it was broadcast April 21, 1968, so the same
era as the clip you found.

trotsky

Sep 28, 2022, 3:36:37 PM9/28/22
Anim8r has lots of favorite musicals.

The Horny Goat

Sep 28, 2022, 6:06:01 PM9/28/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:21:13 -0400, TomB...@agent.com wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:53:12 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
>wrote:
>I agree. Cabaret is my favorite musical and I have always loved this
>song. Babs did a nice job on it.

Yes she did - just don't go around singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me"
(which was written by a Jewish songwriter for the movie) too often or
you might get odd looks.

BTR1701

Sep 29, 2022, 2:32:23 AM9/29/22
On Sep 28, 2022 at 1:53:12 AM PDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk6vhJCVSfw
>>
>> Sigh...
>>

> All she needs is some of Frankie Avalon’s hot licks.
>
> Thank you for posting that.
>
> Seriously.
>
> I mean it.

Here's another one I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABM14m7s7k

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2022, 5:53:35 AM9/29/22
I had seen that one. These people were doing way too much LDS!

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 29, 2022, 2:18:20 PM9/29/22
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>Here's another one I found:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABM14m7s7k

Every costume designer is challenged to make Barbara Eden even sexier.
This guy rose to the occasion!

I loved the comment from the guy who said he was her piano accompaniest
at a show in which she wore a similar costume and couldn't keep his eyes
on the music.

BTR1701

Sep 29, 2022, 2:22:49 PM9/29/22
On Sep 29, 2022 at 11:18:15 AM PDT, ""Adam H. Kerman"" <a...@chinet.com>
wrote:

> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>> . . .
>
>> Here's another one I found:
>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABM14m7s7k
>
> Every costume designer is challenged to make Barbara Eden even sexier.

Barbara could make a burlap bag sexy.

The Horny Goat

Sep 30, 2022, 1:53:52 AM9/30/22
On Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:18:15 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>Here's another one I found:
>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABM14m7s7k
>
>Every costume designer is challenged to make Barbara Eden even sexier.
>This guy rose to the occasion!
>
>I loved the comment from the guy who said he was her piano accompaniest
>at a show in which she wore a similar costume and couldn't keep his eyes
>on the music.

I dunno - when I watched I Dream of Jeannie it didn't look like they
either worked that hard to make her look good nor HAD to work that
hard to make her look good.

(Of course I'm prejudiced - I watched Jeannie around the same time
girls changed from being annoying to me to fascinating to me)

50 years later wardrobe probably has to work a bit harder.....

TomB...@agent.com

Sep 30, 2022, 8:50:48 AM9/30/22
On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 07:21:13 -0400, TomB...@agent.com wrote:

IIRC there was a lot of back and forth between the costumers and the
censors as to what Jeanie's outfit could look like. The censors tried
their best to cool her down.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 30, 2022, 9:44:28 AM9/30/22
Jeannie zapped them into a pit of asps till they backed off?

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 30, 2022, 9:47:12 AM9/30/22
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>Thu, 29 Sep 2022 18:18:15 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>:

>>>Here's another one I found:

>>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nABM14m7s7k

>>Every costume designer is challenged to make Barbara Eden even sexier.
>>This guy rose to the occasion!

>>I loved the comment from the guy who said he was her piano accompaniest
>>at a show in which she wore a similar costume and couldn't keep his eyes
>>on the music.

>I dunno - when I watched I Dream of Jeannie it didn't look like they
>either worked that hard to make her look good nor HAD to work that
>hard to make her look good.

>(Of course I'm prejudiced - I watched Jeannie around the same time
>girls changed from being annoying to me to fascinating to me)

>50 years later wardrobe probably has to work a bit harder.....

Barbara Eden proved she could still fit into the harem outfit at public
appearance she made well into her 80s. The hard work is all in keeping
herself in good shape so she's always ready to entertain when asked.

How can you not love her?

BTR1701

Sep 30, 2022, 3:36:07 PM9/30/22
On Sep 30, 2022 at 5:50:42 AM PDT, "TomB...@agent.com" <TomB...@agent.com>
It was her bellybutton that was the center of the controversy. The network
wanted it covered up so they had to make the pant part of her costume
unusually high in the center of her abdomen.

I'm not sure what sort of weird fetish the head of Standards & Practices had
that he thought the bellybutton was some kind of erotic bridge too far. I've
never met anyone who thinks it's an erogenous zone or why it would only be one
for women and not men. And even so, this was the 1960s, not the 1860s-- women
were routinely exposing their buttons in public on beaches and it swimming
pools in their bikinis. Society certain didn't have a taboo on it at that
point.

anim8rfsk

Sep 30, 2022, 8:48:53 PM9/30/22
I always wondered why they didn’t just stick a jewel in it.

SPLOOOP!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQQ962WXUAECKjE?format=jpg&name=900x900

danny burstein

Sep 30, 2022, 8:58:45 PM9/30/22
[snip]
>> It was her bellybutton that was the center of the controversy. The network
>wanted it covered up so they had to make the pant part of her costume
>unusually high in the center of her abdomen.

Hence, the appearance of the women in Roddenberry's "Genesis II"
who had... _TWO_ belly buttons..

(how could I have forgotten this was Mariette Hartley??)

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/22041/why-does-lyra-a-have-two-belly-buttons#22067

dan...@panix.com

BTR1701

Sep 30, 2022, 11:29:03 PM9/30/22
That wouldn't be the only splooop if I had my hands on Barbara Eden!

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2022, 12:44:27 AM10/1/22
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>>> It was her bellybutton that was the center of the controversy. The network
>> wanted it covered up so they had to make the pant part of her costume
>> unusually high in the center of her abdomen.
>
> Hence, the appearance of the women in Roddenberry's "Genesis II"
> who had... _TWO_ belly buttons..
>
> (how could I have forgotten this was Mariette Hartley??)
>
> https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/22041/why-does-lyra-a-have-two-belly-buttons#22067

I would think one great big slowly undulating belly button would make more
sense.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2022, 12:44:28 AM10/1/22
Lol

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 1, 2022, 1:18:29 PM10/1/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>. . .

>I always wondered why they didn't just stick a jewel in it.

>SPLOOOP!

>https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQQ962WXUAECKjE?format=jpg&name=900x900

I love the budget line item for secretarial, er, help.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 1, 2022, 1:25:57 PM10/1/22
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>[snip]

>>>It was her bellybutton that was the center of the controversy. The network wanted it covered up so they had to make the pant part of her costume unusually high in the center of her abdomen.

>Hence, the appearance of the women in Roddenberry's "Genesis II"
>who had... _TWO_ belly buttons..

>(how could I have forgotten this was Mariette Hartley??)

>https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/22041/why-does-lyra-a-have-two-belly-buttons#22067

She and James Garner had fantastic chemistry in that famous series of
commercials for Polaroid. How could that not have been the basis for a
tv series?

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2022, 9:05:08 PM10/1/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
I’ve been involved in projects like that.

anim8rfsk

Oct 1, 2022, 9:05:09 PM10/1/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
Why would Garner want to work that hard?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 1, 2022, 9:58:08 PM10/1/22
What are you pissed at her for now?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 1, 2022, 11:41:57 PM10/1/22
Here she is on the premiere episode of Engelbert Humperdinck's variety
show.

Huh. It was a low budget show. They didn't have a bra for her to wear
that went with her outfit when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man".

Sort of a different take on Tzeitel singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker".

It's got sort of a basanova beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaC3S9fpFY

As her evil twin Jeannie Jeannie substituting for a nightclub singer
(whom she knocked out), giving quite a good performance of a song that
may have been written for the episode. I don't recall what episode this
is from. Larry Hagman clowns around. I'd have rather her performance
was uninterrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cJsEzG6PM

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2022, 1:23:15 AM10/2/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> Here she is on the premiere episode of Engelbert Humperdinck's variety
> show.
>
> Huh. It was a low budget show. They didn't have a bra for her to wear
> that went with her outfit when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man".
>
> Sort of a different take on Tzeitel singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker".
>
> It's got sort of a basanova beat.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaC3S9fpFY

A one shot variety show from 1969. She had been 38 at the time. A fine
figure of a woman!

> As her evil twin Jeannie Jeannie substituting for a nightclub singer
> (whom she knocked out), giving quite a good performance of a song that
> may have been written for the episode. I don't recall what episode this
> is from. Larry Hagman clowns around. I'd have rather her performance
> was uninterrupted.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cJsEzG6PM

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2022, 1:23:15 AM10/2/22
Why would Garner want to go back to making a TV series when he’s probably
making just as much money shooting a static TV ad once a month?

danny burstein

Oct 2, 2022, 1:38:32 AM10/2/22
In <1521653283.686378000.0...@news.easynews.com> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> writes:

[snip]

>>> Why would Garner want to work that hard?
>>
>> What are you pissed at her for now?

>Why would Garner want to go back to making a TV series when he's probably
>making just as much money shooting a static TV ad once a month?

Ummm, the chance to spend a lot more time (and get paid for it!)
with Marriete Hartley?

A Friend

Oct 2, 2022, 7:24:28 AM10/2/22
In article <thb84j$26u$1...@reader2.panix.com>, danny burstein
<dan...@panix.com> wrote:

> In <1521653283.686378000.0...@news.easynews.com>
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> writes:
>
> [snip]

> >> What are you pissed at her for now?
>
> >Why would Garner want to go back to making a TV series when he's probably
> >making just as much money shooting a static TV ad once a month?
>
> Ummm, the chance to spend a lot more time (and get paid for it!)
> with Marriete Hartley?

I spent appreciable time with Marionette Hartley on the morning news.
She was nice, even if she didn't belong there.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2022, 8:58:40 AM10/2/22
Ok

They were doing the ad campaign while he was making The Rockford Files.
She appears on a single episode which has kind of a clunky beginning but
is fun by the end of it. They go on a treasure hunt right at Paradise Cove.

I'd have preferred that versus the post-Maverick stuff Garner did. New
Maverick/Young Maverick stank, and the Bret Maverick tv series didn't
really have much to do with the original tv series, since it was set in
a small town populated with wacky characters and Bret was no longer
itenerant.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2022, 9:09:19 AM10/2/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>Here she is on the premiere episode of Engelbert Humperdinck's variety
>>show.

>>Huh. It was a low budget show. They didn't have a bra for her to wear
>>that went with her outfit when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man".

>>Sort of a different take on Tzeitel singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker".

>>It's got sort of a basanova beat.

>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaC3S9fpFY

>A one shot variety show from 1969. She had been 38 at the time. A fine
>figure of a woman!

She's older than her male star and looks much younger. I hadn't looked
it up to see if it went to series. I was a little young to recall having
seen much in the late 1960s. She also did two episodes of the Tom Jones
variety show, which I think the "Spinning Wheel" clip was from.

Strangely, Tom Jones was a guest on Humperdinck's show, which seems odd
as both men competed for the same audience.

Everyone knows that his oddball stage name is for the minor opera
composer who wrote the music for Hansel and Gretel, right?

I suppose Tom Jones took his stage name from the famous comic novel.

>>. . .

A Friend

Oct 2, 2022, 10:39:14 AM10/2/22
In article <thc2hi$1mnv7$4...@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
> >Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> >>Here she is on the premiere episode of Engelbert Humperdinck's variety
> >>show.
>
> >>Huh. It was a low budget show. They didn't have a bra for her to wear
> >>that went with her outfit when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man".
>
> >>Sort of a different take on Tzeitel singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker".
>
> >>It's got sort of a basanova beat.
>
> >>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaC3S9fpFY
>
> >A one shot variety show from 1969. She had been 38 at the time. A fine
> >figure of a woman!
>
> She's older than her male star and looks much younger. I hadn't looked
> it up to see if it went to series. I was a little young to recall having
> seen much in the late 1960s. She also did two episodes of the Tom Jones
> variety show, which I think the "Spinning Wheel" clip was from.
>
> Strangely, Tom Jones was a guest on Humperdinck's show, which seems odd
> as both men competed for the same audience.

It was a pretty big audience, though, and each believed they both came
off better if they were seen as friends and not rivals.

The third of the three, Gilbert O. Sullivan (Raymond Edward
O'Sullivan), is still with us at 75.

> Everyone knows that his oddball stage name is for the minor opera
> composer who wrote the music for Hansel and Gretel, right?
>
> I suppose Tom Jones took his stage name from the famous comic novel.

Maybe. His real name is Thomas John Woodward, although it's sometimes
reported as Thomas Jones Woodward. His mother's maiden name was Jones.

Tom got his girlfriend Linda pregnant while they were both in high
school. They got married at 16 in 1957 and stayed that way until Linda
died in 2016.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2022, 2:55:53 PM10/2/22
New/Young Maverick made a fatal mistake by having the Garner character not
wanting anything to do with his nephew (?). The female lead had a little
buzz going from some commercials but not enough to hang the show on.
Somebody may have cared that the leads were married in real life but it
wasn’t the audience. If I recall correctly the first episode of the series
has Garner and new/young Maverick at a literal fork in the road and
New/young wants to go with Garner and Garner tells him to go the other way.
And the audience was left at home screaming for the show to follow Garner
and forget the new/young guy.

IBret Maverick was kind of fun and at least acknowledged that Bret Was
getting up in years and needed to live a different lifestyle. The finale
brought back Bart which was a good start and season two was rumored to
branch out from Sweetwater and maybe even have some riverboat action. And
then suddenly there just wasn’t a season two and it was over.

anim8rfsk

Oct 2, 2022, 2:55:53 PM10/2/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>
>>> Here she is on the premiere episode of Engelbert Humperdinck's variety
>>> show.
>
>>> Huh. It was a low budget show. They didn't have a bra for her to wear
>>> that went with her outfit when she sang "Son of a Preacher Man".
>
>>> Sort of a different take on Tzeitel singing "Matchmaker, Matchmaker".
>
>>> It's got sort of a basanova beat.
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blaC3S9fpFY
>
>> A one shot variety show from 1969. She had been 38 at the time. A fine
>> figure of a woman!
>
> She's older than her male star and looks much younger. I hadn't looked
> it up to see if it went to series. I was a little young to recall having
> seen much in the late 1960s. She also did two episodes of the Tom Jones
> variety show, which I think the "Spinning Wheel" clip was from.
>
> Strangely, Tom Jones was a guest on Humperdinck's show, which seems odd
> as both men competed for the same audience.

Yeah, I thought that was odd.

> Everyone knows that his oddball stage name is for the minor opera
> composer who wrote the music for Hansel and Gretel, right?
>
> I suppose Tom Jones took his stage name from the famous comic novel.

That’s more or less his real name. Thomas Jones Woodward.

>>> . . .

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2022, 3:40:58 PM10/2/22
Ben was Beau's son. They never specifically explained the relationshp
between Bret and Beau, but if they were first cousins, then Ben is
Bret's first cousin once removed.

Charles Frank as Ben had no personality. Can you blame Garner for
wanting nothing to do with him?

>The female lead had a little
>buzz going from some commercials but not enough to hang the show on.
>Somebody may have cared that the leads were married in real life but it
>wasn't the audience. If I recall correctly the first episode of the series
>has Garner and new/young Maverick at a literal fork in the road and
>New/young wants to go with Garner and Garner tells him to go the other way.
>And the audience was left at home screaming for the show to follow Garner
>and forget the new/young guy.

Yeah.

The Wikipedia page says that not all the episodes were aired in the
United States. I had no idea. I think I watched the made-for-tv movie
and one or two episodes. It sucked.

It also points out that the actor Charles Frank wasn't young at all, but
older than Garner, Jack Kelly, and Roger Moore, and Robert Colbert were
when each first appeared on the original tv series.

>IBret Maverick was kind of fun and at least acknowledged that Bret Was
>getting up in years and needed to live a different lifestyle. The finale
>brought back Bart which was a good start and season two was rumored to
>branch out from Sweetwater and maybe even have some riverboat action. And
>then suddenly there just wasn't a season two and it was over.

Bret Maverick should have been better, but James Garner and Roy Huggins
had been at odds with each other since Huggins left Maverick to be the
show runner for several other tv series. Garner, who was quite nervous
about his acting in those days, felt quite abandoned by Huggins. It was
ridiculous that Garner and Huggins still weren't getting along at that
point.

The Rockford Files was different in that Huggins created it (with
Cannell) and then approached Garner to play an updated character,
although first season Rockford Files had a lot more in common with film
noir than a contemporary detective show. Huggins left Rockford after
first season.

Maybe Huggins had been approached to offer suggestions for Bret Maverick
which is why they contemplated making it a lot more like the original
series, but I've never read anything about it.

I always wished Garner and Huggins had gotten along better and could
have worked together professionally, since they made magical television
together.