Liberace movie casts Michael Douglas, Matt Damon

David

Sep 16, 2009, 3:40:16 PM9/16/09
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20303839,00.html

Michael Douglas To Play Liberace
By Peter Mikelbank

Michael Douglas is taking a sharp turn from his usual roles to tackle
the lead in a film biography of the campy musical performer Liberace,
and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
Soderbergh confirmed.

"We've already done some costume and wardrobe tests on Michael, and
they're very, very, very good." Soderbergh told a French newspaper at
the Deauville Film Festival. "I swear to you, Michael amazed me. He
crushed it."

Born Wladziu Valentino, the flamboyant, piano-playing Liberace,
nicknamed "Mr. Showmanship" and "Glitter Man," was a staple of early
1950s television, and was an institution in Las Vegas until his death
from AIDS in 1987. At his height, he made more money than Elvis and
The Beatles.

Damon, Soderbergh said, has agreed to portray Scott Thorsen, the
assistant/boyfriend whose 1982 palimony suit for $110 million
publically outed the entertainer.

"Matt accepted the challenge," Soderbergh said. "But I have to say I'd
already convinced him to gain 30 pounds for The Informant."

Liberace will be filmed off a script by writer/director Richard
Lagravense, who was responsible for The Bridges of Madison County.
Soderbergh said the budget will allow filmmakers to re-stage segments
of Liberace's spectacular stage act, which often involved elaborate
stunts such as flying or driving to his piano bench in a Rolls-Royce.

Stan Brown

Sep 19, 2009, 9:37:53 AM9/19/09
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:40:16 -0400 from David <diml...@yahoo.com>:

> http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20303839,00.html
>
> Michael Douglas To Play Liberace
> By Peter Mikelbank
>
> Michael Douglas is taking a sharp turn from his usual roles to tackle
> the lead in a film biography of the campy musical performer Liberace,
> and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
> Soderbergh confirmed.

What network will this be on?

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"You may be the Universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right-
hand fist of fate." -- /Wonderfalls/

Anim8rFSK

Sep 19, 2009, 12:03:50 PM9/19/09
In article <MPG.251ea8bcd...@news.individual.net>,
Stan Brown <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:40:16 -0400 from David <diml...@yahoo.com>:
> > http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20303839,00.html
> >
> > Michael Douglas To Play Liberace
> > By Peter Mikelbank
> >
> > Michael Douglas is taking a sharp turn from his usual roles to tackle
> > the lead in a film biography of the campy musical performer Liberace,
> > and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
> > Soderbergh confirmed.
>
> What network will this be on?

Well, he talked about it on Regis and The Scrawny Shrill Stupid Bitch
From Hell last week, if that counts. :)

--
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
Saturday the 19th be "Talk Like a Pirate Day"!!!

Message has been deleted

jAk

Sep 19, 2009, 3:07:04 PM9/19/09
On 9/19/09 9:23 AM, David wrote:
> On Sep 19, 9:37 am, Stan Brown<the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:40:16 -0400 from David<dimla...@yahoo.com>:

>>> http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20303839,00.html
>>
>>> Michael Douglas To Play Liberace
>>> By Peter Mikelbank
>>
>>> Michael Douglas is taking a sharp turn from his usual roles to tackle
>>> the lead in a film biography of the campy musical performer Liberace,
>>> and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
>>> Soderbergh confirmed.
>>
>> What network will this be on?
>
> I can't say yet. A few weeks after it comes out the networks will put
> in bid amounts based on its box office gross. Though first it'll get a
> run on a premium channel and then basic cable.
>
> Oh, wait, maybe this is your shrewd way of asking why this was posted
> here? It's because Liberace had two tv shows and was a frequent
> presence on tv for 40 years and that's where people know him from.
>
> I'm happy to answer, though for something so obvious next time you
> could use the IMDB. That's www.imdb.com if you can't find it.

It's an old story...note "Posted" date.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117992006.html?categoryid=10&cs=1

Stan Brown

Sep 20, 2009, 11:53:35 AM9/20/09
Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:23:01 -0700 (PDT) from David <dimlan17
@yahoo.com>:

> On Sep 19, 9:37�am, Stan Brown <the_stan_br...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > [quoted text muted]

> > > and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
> > > Soderbergh confirmed.
> >
> > What network will this be on?
>
> I can't say yet.

In other words, it has damn-all to do with this group.

S. R. Newport

Sep 20, 2009, 6:02:09 PM9/20/09
There were a couple of TV movies about Liberace, as I recall. One had
Victor Garber.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Professor Bubba

Nov 26, 2009, 3:34:31 AM11/26/09
In article <1573-4B0E...@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net>, Steve
Newport <birdp...@webtv.net> wrote:

> From: bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid (Professor�Bubba) Mike Douglas. Talk
> -show host. Michael Douglas. Actor.
> Michelle Douglas. Canadian gay rights activist.
> --------------------------------
> Donna Douglas: The Beverly Hillbillies.
> Others?

Melvyn Douglas. Would have been good as Jed Clampett.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Nov 20, 2022, 5:12:36 PM11/20/22
Now available on DVD from your local better libraries. MD keeps the "Milwaukee" accent for 2 hours.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Nov 27, 2022, 11:15:03 AM11/27/22
Oh gawd, a Hard R-rating, skip the creepiness via remote. I can't believe "fans" bought his show tickets. Ninety percent of Vegas tickets must have been comped to wives. I had to cleanse the visions with Judge Marilyn and tonight Candy Olsen Queen of Ontario for a final scrubbing.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Nov 28, 2022, 1:02:29 PM11/28/22
It'll take a week of Rachel Reynolds in shiny dresses revealing prices which Drew had placed to force bending. Only then I may recover.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 2, 2022, 7:26:25 PM12/2/22
On Sunday, November 20, 2022 at 4:12:36 PM UTC-6, Bering Sea Bar & Brig wrote:
Onward to hour 2. Fast forward trigger finger now limbering up.

RichA

Dec 2, 2022, 7:27:57 PM12/2/22
On Wednesday, 16 September 2009 at 15:40:16 UTC-4, David wrote:
> http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20303839,00.html
> Michael Douglas To Play Liberace
> By Peter Mikelbank
> Michael Douglas is taking a sharp turn from his usual roles to tackle
> the lead in a film biography of the campy musical performer Liberace,
> and Matt Damon is playing his longtime lover, director Steven
> Soderbergh confirmed.
> "We've already done some costume and wardrobe tests on Michael, and
> they're very, very, very good." Soderbergh told a French newspaper at
> the Deauville Film Festival. "I swear to you, Michael amazed me. He
> crushed it."
> Born Wladziu Valentino, the flamboyant, piano-playing Liberace,
> nicknamed "Mr. Showmanship" and "Glitter Man," was a staple of early
> 1950s television, and was an institution in Las Vegas until his death
> from AIDS in 1987. At his height, he made more money than Elvis and
> The Beatles.
> Damon, Soderbergh said, has agreed to portray Scott Thorsen, the
> assistant/boyfriend whose 1982 palimony suit for $110 million
> publically outed the entertainer.

B.S. A British tabloid outed him YEARS before that.

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 5:18:28 AM12/3/22
No shit? How many years has the concept of a "tabloid" been around then?

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 3, 2022, 5:38:55 PM12/3/22
I forgot or didn't know Wladziu got the HIV. The final credits say Thorsen now lives in Reno NV.
Overall an interesting take on the 1970s Vegas scene. I'm surprised Rob Lowe didn't get more screen time as the face lift doctor. Or Dan Ackroyd as the manager. Both could get "Better Call Saul" type series.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 3, 2022, 5:42:22 PM12/3/22
LIBERACE, American pianist, wore a big grin as Londoners surrounded him to cheer his victory in a libel action against London Daily Mirror and its columnist William Connor. In a 1956 column, Connor implied Liberace was a homosexual. Liberace was awarded $22,400. After the court victory, the touring pianist went on in his regular performance at the Cheswick Empire theater in London. The court said Connor’s column did not represent fair comment. (AP Wirephoto; June 18, 1959)
Prince.org

I can see why Michael Douglas had to go overboard with CZJ to forget the role.

A Friend

Dec 3, 2022, 11:57:02 PM12/3/22
In article <f8d9e194-0fcb-4f3f...@googlegroups.com>,
> theater in London. The court said Connor零 column did not represent fair
> comment. (AP Wirephoto; June 18, 1959)
> Prince.org
>
> I can see why Michael Douglas had to go overboard with CZJ to forget the role.

As I recall, the columnist referred to Liberace as a "marshmallow,"
which was taken as a reference to Liberace being gay. Pretty much
everybody thought Liberace was gay, and the truth is that no one really
gave a crap.

RichA

Dec 4, 2022, 1:50:39 AM12/4/22
200lbs of "mother love." That was one comment. It's a laugh, like when Rock Hudson revealed he had AIDS and some truly stupid people said they were shocked to find he was gay.

RichA

Dec 4, 2022, 1:56:39 AM12/4/22
I don't know if Liberace had a fake wife like Rock Hudson did for a while.

trotsky

Dec 4, 2022, 7:34:27 AM12/4/22
>> theater in London. The court said Connor¹s column did not represent fair
>> comment. (AP Wirephoto; June 18, 1959)
>> Prince.org
>>
>> I can see why Michael Douglas had to go overboard with CZJ to forget the role.
>

> As I recall, the columnist referred to Liberace as a "marshmallow,"
> which was taken as a reference to Liberace being gay. Pretty much
> everybody thought Liberace was gay, and the truth is that no one really
> gave a crap.

Because he was flaming, or obviously gay. Meanwhile, guys such as Rock
Hudson and Montgomery Clift kept it hidden because their reps were that
of being "masculine." Apparently Republicans liked it that way because
now they act like gay people are evil. Because they're stupid and/or
syphilitic.

trotsky

Dec 4, 2022, 7:39:55 AM12/4/22
That's not fair, not everyone hangs out at gay bathhouses like you do.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 4, 2022, 12:06:22 PM12/4/22
If it results in lost ticket sales it's important to Liberace Inc. A half sold show may cover the costs, the profit builds as sales approach 100 percent.

A Friend

Dec 4, 2022, 2:06:42 PM12/4/22
In article <0d800480-be5e-43e2...@googlegroups.com>,
> > > theater in London. The court said Connor? column did not represent fair
> > > comment. (AP Wirephoto; June 18, 1959)
> > > Prince.org
> > >
> > > I can see why Michael Douglas had to go overboard with CZJ to forget the
> > > role.
> > As I recall, the columnist referred to Liberace as a "marshmallow,"
> > which was taken as a reference to Liberace being gay. Pretty much
> > everybody thought Liberace was gay, and the truth is that no one really
> > gave a crap.
>
> If it results in lost ticket sales

It didn't. Liberace remained hugely popular in concert until he was no
longer able to perform. His fan base -- mostly middle-aged and elderly
women -- either didn't know he was gay or didn't care.

Liberace died in 1987. The Liberace Museum in Las Vegas didn't close
until 2010. My understanding is that the collection is now warehoused,
and it can still be seen by appointment. I suspect that if there was a
way to make money by placing Liberace's stuff on public exhibition
again, they'd do it, but his elderly fan base is mostly dead, and
younger people haven't even heard of him.

trotsky

Dec 5, 2022, 5:58:54 AM12/5/22
I think there are plenty still around who are of the age as to have
watched Johnny Carson's Tonight Show who know who Liberace was, but he
was mainly thought of as the butt of jokes the way I remember it. I
would see his museum stuff it is was in my locale, but I certainly
wouldn't seek it out.

moviePig

Dec 5, 2022, 11:36:11 AM12/5/22
I remember a great aunt who reliably salivated at the mention of his
name. Otherwise, I'd think reports of that behavior exaggerated.

trotsky

Dec 5, 2022, 6:54:23 PM12/5/22
Is "that behavior" the salivation or the mentions of his name?

moviePig

Dec 5, 2022, 11:01:54 PM12/5/22
Apparently, hordes of women lamented he couldn't find the "right girl".

trotsky

Dec 6, 2022, 4:53:50 AM12/6/22
Here's what happened when I googled "Apparently, hordes of women
lamented Liberace couldn't find the "right girl".

About 2,660 results (0.48 seconds)
It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search
Try using words that might appear on the page you’re looking for. For
example, "cake recipes" instead of "how to make a cake."
Need help? Check out other tips for searching on Google.

moviePig

Dec 6, 2022, 9:56:49 AM12/6/22
"He maintained an overwhelmingly female fanbase and consistently denied
— and sued over — allegations that he was gay."

( https://qnotescarolinas.com/lgbtq-history-month-liberace/ )

Message has been deleted

moviePig

Dec 6, 2022, 5:33:38 PM12/6/22
On 12/6/2022 11:45 AM, chromebook test wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 9:56:49 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:

>>> Here's what happened when I googled "Apparently, hordes of women
>>> lamented Liberace couldn't find the "right girl".
>

>> "He maintained an overwhelmingly female fanbase and consistently denied
>> — and sued over — allegations that he was gay."
>
>> ( https://qnotescarolinas.com/lgbtq-history-month-liberace/ )
>

> Give him a pair of eyes with a "come-hither" gleam
> Give him a lonely heart like Pagliacci
> And lots of wavy hair like Liberace
>
> Mr. Sandman, someone to hold (someone to hold)
> Would be so peachy before we're too old
> So please turn on your magic beam
> Mr. Sandman, bring us, please, please, please
> Mr. Sandman, bring us a dream
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPPS6fqMEKY

A favorite group. I remember the donut-shaped 45s...

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 6, 2022, 7:23:58 PM12/6/22
People like Josh Groban have filled the role for younger people. HBO movie in 20 years?

trotsky

Dec 7, 2022, 4:16:01 AM12/7/22
So he was in denial but we're not sure about the fan base. Cool. One
thing we can probably agree on: they weren't fans because of the
masculinity he exuded.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 10, 2022, 3:07:50 PM12/10/22
It's dad's Van Gogh movie this weekend. Hopefully no one sodomizes Kirk Douglas.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 16, 2022, 8:43:15 PM12/16/22
Watching hour 2 of Lust for Life this weekend. Finger on remote for ear slicing skip.