Remington Steele: Murphy and Bernice

TVFan87656

Sep 8, 2000, 8:33:01 AM9/8/00
What happened to Murphy and Bernice after the first season of "Remington
Steele"? I missed a few eps, how did Mildred get her job at the agency?

Pat Gonzales

Sep 8, 2000, 9:10:48 AM9/8/00
In article <20000908083301...@ng-co1.aol.com>,
tvfan...@aol.comnospam (TVFan87656) wrote:

> What happened to Murphy and Bernice after the first season of "Remington
> Steele"? I missed a few eps, how did Mildred get her job at the agency?

Murphy supposedly left to start his own agency in Colorado.

Bernice ran away with a saxophonist. :-)

Mildred was the IRS agent who was assigned to the agency to find out why
Mr. Steele had not submitted any tax returns. Steele hired her to replace
Bernice when she'd been fired (after following Steele and Laura to Mexico
on a case and helping out) for going AWOL from the IRS.

In reality: NBC was going to send Remington Steele up against Hart to Hart,
and so they wanted to revamp the show to make it more like the show they
were going up against. (Stupid!) So: Steele and Laura = the Harts; Mildred
= Max, the Harts' butler/assistant; Nero (Laura's black cat, seen in one
episode early 2nd season) = Freeway, the Harts' dog. "Murphy" and "Bernice"
were let go because they didn't fit the format.

The problem was that Murphy provided the tension for a romantic triangle,
and both Bernice and Murphy knew about Steele and could always threaten to
expose him. When they were dumped, only Laura knew about Steele but she
needed him in the position too much to threaten him with exposure.

If you're watching on Pax (despite the cutting), enjoy the first two
seasons. They were the best, except for the occasional good episode in
Season 4.

Pat G.
Diehard Remington Steele fan from first airing on Sept.9 (10?), 1982.
Providing brain lint to the Internet since 1993

PSchutzVA

Sep 8, 2000, 7:05:10 PM9/8/00
I think the producers felt that portraying the friction between Murphy,
Bernice, and Steele had run it's course. Mildred started out as an IRS employee
who was questioning his back tax returns, or something like that. She got fired
or quit from there and went to work for Steele and Laura.

That's the gist of it, anybody know if I missed anything?

TVFan87656

Sep 9, 2000, 10:04:13 AM9/9/00
psch...@cs.com (PSchutzVA) wrote:

>I think the producers felt that portraying the friction between Murphy,
>Bernice, and Steele had run it's course. Mildred started out as an IRS
>employee
>who was questioning his back tax returns, or something like that. She got
>fired
>or quit from there and went to work for Steele and Laura.

I can see why they were taken off (Bernice never had a purpose, and Murphy's
jealousy of Remington had been run into the ground), I wonder if the show ever
gave any explanation as to where Murphy and Bernice went. Until Laura cried "no
Bernice....no Murphy" after her house blew up, I thought they had vanished with
no one ever acknowledging their existence.

William December Starr

Sep 9, 2000, 9:47:01 PM9/9/00
In article <pagonz0-ya0236800...@news.uky.edu>,
pag...@pop.uky.edu (Pat Gonzales) said:

> The problem was that Murphy provided the tension for a romantic
> triangle, and both Bernice and Murphy knew about Steele and could
> always threaten to expose him. When they were dumped, only Laura knew
> about Steele but she needed him in the position too much to threaten
> him with exposure.

The other problem was that Murphy and Bernice were passably acceptable
human beings, whereas Mildred was somebody you kept hoping would wander
into a woodchipping machine or a jet engine intake. Well, I did, anyway.

(Not Doris Roberts' fault at all, incidentally -- it was the _character_
that grated horribly.)

-- William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

PSchutzVA

Sep 10, 2000, 11:36:33 AM9/10/00
Funny how the mind works, but all of this rembering about Remington Steele just
reminded me when Doris Roberts won an Emmy for her role. She threw her purse at
her escort James Coco and went up onstage. When he won in his category he had
to carry the purse up to the stage with him.

TVFan87656

Sep 11, 2000, 12:42:45 AM9/11/00
psch...@cs.com (PSchutzVA) wrote:

She won for her guest appearance on "St. Elsewhere", did she win for Steele
too?

PSchutzVA

Sep 11, 2000, 7:22:09 PM9/11/00
You're right, it was St Elsewhere. My bad!

Pat Gonzales

Sep 12, 2000, 9:51:07 AM9/12/00
In article <20000909100413...@ng-co1.aol.com>,
tvfan...@aol.comnospam (TVFan87656) wrote:

>I wonder if the show ever
> gave any explanation as to where Murphy and Bernice went.

Yes, in the first episode of the second season.

Pat G.

dbmetzger

Sep 12, 2000, 11:14:32 AM9/12/00
In article <pagonz0-ya0236800...@news.uky.edu>,

Speaking of spreading lint, Stephanie Zimbalist was on a rerun
of Family Law last night playing a bitter divorcee in a custody
fight with her husband. She looked and acted the part well.
Meanwhile, Pierce Brosnan remains heroic and debonair as 007 while
Laura has become a plain looking 40 something hausfrau on her way to
taking on grandmother roles. Where has the time gone?

dbmetzger

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

TVFan87656

Sep 15, 2000, 1:44:29 AM9/15/00
pag...@pop.uky.edu (Pat Gonzales) wrote:

>The problem was that Murphy provided the tension for a romantic triangle,
>and both Bernice and Murphy knew about Steele and could always threaten to
>expose him. When they were dumped, only Laura knew about Steele but she
>needed him in the position too much to threaten him with exposure.

Never liked Bernice, and Murphy's role was basically one-note. I think Mildred
would have been a more tolerable character if the show hadn't spent so much
time trying to make her so cute and adorable. Still, I prefer her over Murphy
and Bernice, maybe because of Doris Roberts.

>If you're watching on Pax (despite the cutting), enjoy the first two
>seasons. They were the best, except for the occasional good episode in
>Season 4.

I am watching on Pax. How much do they cut?