New York: Schools must remove all native mascots or symbols or be defunded

RichA

Dec 2, 2022, 11:03:08 PM12/2/22
I always here from white liberals and these initiatives, but you know who I never hear from? The natives.

moviePig

Dec 2, 2022, 11:24:46 PM12/2/22
On 12/2/2022 11:03 PM, RichA wrote:
> I always here from white liberals and these initiatives, but you know who I never hear from? The natives.

Odd, because right now a nativity seems pretty common...

RichA

Dec 3, 2022, 12:56:16 AM12/3/22
P.C. alert!!!

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 5:25:33 AM12/3/22
I wonder how syphilitic one's brain would have to be to think "Native
New Yorkers" is a thing.

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 5:46:50 AM12/3/22
What the fuck does this have to do with personal computers?

A Friend

Dec 3, 2022, 7:21:02 AM12/3/22
In article <tmf81q$k7t$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
wrote:
"Native New Yorkers" is indeed a thing. I'd be one if I still lived
there.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 3, 2022, 10:51:29 AM12/3/22
Your ancestors sold Manna-hata to the Dutch for $24 in beads?

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 12:32:17 PM12/3/22
It isn't when he's obviously referring to indigenous people.

A Friend

Dec 3, 2022, 2:11:30 PM12/3/22
In article <tmfr9s$3cfh6$4...@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
I'm a native New Yorker because I was born there. I lived there until
I was 38.

People who live in NYC, particularly Manhattan, talk about "native New
Yorkers" all the damn time, which was my point. The comment about
syphilis being responsible for the term was ill-considered.

A Friend

Dec 3, 2022, 2:19:28 PM12/3/22
In article <tmg16s$adf$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
There was nothing obvious about that.

The term "native New Yorker" is well established and has been in use
since the year dot to refer to people born in New York, not to members
of tribes who lived in the area before the city existed. Accusing
people who use the term of suffering from syphilis is ridiculous, even
for this ng.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 3, 2022, 6:35:09 PM12/3/22
I understood you to mean that. Nevertheless I took it as a straight
line. Of course "native" is a reference to where one was born, not just
to Indians. I apologize for distracting from you slamming trots, who
deserved that and more.

RichA

Dec 3, 2022, 7:50:32 PM12/3/22
How about native American?

A Friend

Dec 4, 2022, 12:06:39 AM12/4/22
In article <07770c49-3d30-47f6...@googlegroups.com>,
"Native American" is like saying "European." I prefer specificity, if
it's possible. For example, I have an Iroquois great-grandmother, and
I'd never refer to her as a native. She was Iroquois.

RichA

Dec 4, 2022, 3:45:44 AM12/4/22
That's fine, but you still need an overall term to refer to a group, like whites, blacks,
south Asians, Chinese, despite other regional differences or different designations
within groups.

trotsky

Dec 4, 2022, 6:47:49 AM12/4/22
No. My response was vis a vis Native Americans or indigenous people.
Assholes would say it's "woke" but "Native New Yorker" is in fact racist
because it's assuming the Native Americans that were here originally
don't mean jack shit. And I don't know why this needs explaining
because I know you get it. Going further, we've finally getting rid of
sports names like "Redskins" but we still have at least have the names
of our streets, counties and states coming from the indigenous words.
Cultural appropriation by way of attempted genocide. But again, I hold
these truths to be self evident.

trotsky

Dec 4, 2022, 6:56:36 AM12/4/22
On 12/3/22 1:19 PM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <tmg16s$adf$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/3/22 6:20 AM, A Friend wrote:

>>> "Native New Yorkers" is indeed a thing. I'd be one if I still lived
>>> there.
>>

>> It isn't when he's obviously referring to indigenous people.
>

> There was nothing obvious about that.

Come on, dude, what did you take "all native mascots or symbols" in the
subject line to mean?

> The term "native New Yorker" is well established and has been in use
> since the year dot to refer to people born in New York, not to members
> of tribes who lived in the area before the city existed. Accusing
> people who use the term of suffering from syphilis is ridiculous, even
> for this ng.

I get where you're coming from, but this is the 21st century and its
about fucking time the white assholes who started this country were
improved upon. There were native people here before the people you
refer to as "native New Yorkers" got here, and it's totally fucking
racist to think this particular detail doesn't mean anything because
those people don't mean anything. They didn't destroy the place like
we're doing. Indigenous people in Flint weren't suffering brain damage
from drinking the water. They couldn't light their water on fire either
because there was no fracking going on, etc. "White superiority" is the
history of mankind and I'm tired of it. All the interesting stuff
happens because of cultural appropriation. There's a reason you can't
go out to eat at a British restaurant because it would go out of
business in a week for being so boring. And as for the syphilis part,
the person that calls himself "RichA" definitely has something wrong
with him, whether it's physical, psychological, or both. And syphilis
would certainly fit the symptoms, so it's not much of a reach, so to speak.

trotsky

Dec 4, 2022, 7:52:58 AM12/4/22
Indigenous people is the best term currently.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 4, 2022, 1:01:17 PM12/4/22
Chief Tecumseh is appointing Ally Sheedy and Judd Nelson as stewards of New Trier reparations. Their Saturday detention was the last of great insults.