What Did You Watch? 2019-09-26 (Thursday)

Ubiquitous

Sep 27, 2019, 8:20:30 AM9/27/19
I watched:

Liberal media coverage of the faux scandal.Don't these people realize that
anyone reading the transcripts will know you're lieing about it?

What did you watch?

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 27, 2019, 9:06:34 AM9/27/19
On 2019-09-27 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

soaps: DOOL - Kate was, like, brain dead, or something, but then "got
better", thanks to Dr. Rolf! Meanwhile, in YA stupid DOOL storyline,
Sarah is going to have an abortion (is she preggers with Eric's child?
- if she wants him to hate her for all time, aborting his child without
telling him is the way to do it!!), but Kristen swoops in intending to
steal the fetus(!?!??!) for herself... until Dr. Rolf tells her she's
already preggers!
GH - They finally seem to kill off Shiloh when Sam shoots him (in
the back!!) with a flare gun! (It looks like this death will "stick",
too...) Hayden screws up, and then has to read Laura in on what she's
up to, re: the Cassidines. Ava goes to <s>John Sheppard of
ST:Atlantis!</s> Dr. Neil Byrne (Joe Flanigan) for therapy.

The Tribe (Tubi) - Episodes #1.17-1.20. They capture Ebony, but then
"let her go", thanks to Lex's horniness and stupidity. Bray "cuts a
deal" with freed Ebony, that works to her advantage, and the advantage
of the Mall Rats. Then, later, I'm incredulous as Tai-San effectively
whores herself out to Lex, "for the good of the tribe". (This is either
the biggest "line" of all time, or abject stupidity!)
Menawhile, still more Trudy-Salene drama, and even Amber seems
noticably jealous of Salene by this point... Also, the deaf boy, Paul
"disappears", and I'm guessing it's because something went wrong with
the young deaf actor (Wiki appears to confirm) - I'm wondering if we're
ever going to see him again.

Suits (recorded) - "One Last Con", ep. #9.10, the series finale. Adam
has a separate thread dedicated to this...
As I said in the separate thread, this was a satisfactory, though
quite cheesy series finale.
So, is the take home message of this finale that "Suits" was
actually just a "love story", and all the legal stuff was just a
side-show?! Because that is actually the inescapable conclusion from
this finale.

Grey's Anatomy - A really lackluster start to the season. It's possible
that my enjoying last season was just a fluke, due mostly to the Jo
storylines...

Recorded for later: The 2-hour season finale(!!) of "The Outpost", and
"Evil" (series premiere).

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 27, 2019, 11:09:41 AM9/27/19
I watched:

The Good Place - "A Girl From Arizona Part 1" - The 4th and final season
kicks off, and I was a need of a better recap to fully get me up to
speed. Anyway, with Eleanor now in charge of the fake Good Place, the
fate of all of humanity rests on the gang's ability to take 4 human
souls and make them better people. Except demons from the bad place get
to pick the 4 souls and are actively working to sabotage things. I
loved the bad places' theme song.

Evil - In a surprisingly good pilot episode Katja Herbers stars as a
forensic psychologist, and I think lapsed Catholic, who works as a hired
gun for the DA. In her latest case she's surprised when out of the blue
the defense starts to raise the prospect the defendant was possessed by
a demon even though the defendant never hinted it at during their
interviews. After doing a bit of sniffing around she runs into Luke
Cage who works for the Catholic church investigating reports of Demon
possession. Things start to happen that may or may not involve Katja
coming face to face with a demon and she suddenly starts to rethink her
life. And as luck would have it she finds herself in need of a new job
and Luke Cage just happens to be in need of someone who can help him
debunk fake allegations of demon possession, or verify the real thing.
Aasif Mandvi and Michael Emerson round out the cast, with Emerson
playing the type of creepy character only Emerson could play. Rather
demons exist or not, Emerson definitely exists and he just oozes
evilness. It was a solid premier that has me interested.

On a side note I originally didn't realize that "Emergence" and "Evil"
were two separate shows. I spent the entire episode of "Emergence"
convinced the little girl with powers was evil! I assumed she caused
the plane to crash (still not sure she didn't) and she definitely caused
the car to crash. I figured the shady government agency trying to
capture her knew she was evil and that's why they were after her. Now I
guess I should maybe rethink the events of the pilot. ;-)

The Shining (theatrical) 1980 Stanley Kubrick movie. It got a 4K
restoration and theatrical rerelease. I'm not going to bother trying to
recap it, because I'm honestly not at all sure what was happening! I
probably haven't watched it in about 10 years. And I didn't remember it
all that well. There was a lot in the movie that I was actually
surprised by especially that it was a solid "R" flick. Even though I
was not in any way impressed with the so-called new 4K print, I thought
the cinematography, directing, and acting were all fine. The problem
was the script! The movie makes *no* sense!!!! What exactly is the
voice the kid hears? A ghost? Does it possess him? So Does Jack
Nicholson's character *also* have the Shining? If he does, that would
explain a lot. But that doesn't explain how Shelley Duvall also sees
the ghosts. If you don't need the Shining to see the ghosts then what
difference does it make that the kid even has the power? And are they
ghosts or not? Something had to let Nicholson out of the room, so I
guess yeah. But what exactly causes Nicholson to go insane in the first
place? This gets back to secretly having the Shining? Reincarnation?
Bad writing? Inquiring minds want to know!!! I can't say it's
necessarily a bad movie. It certainly held my interest. But the movie
seems to be almost entirely dependent on the audience having already
read the book in order to make sense of the holes in the plot. It's as
if Kubrick figured it's not a plot hole if it was explained in the book.
That's *not* how movies work! :-/

suzeeq

Sep 27, 2019, 11:37:57 AM9/27/19
On 9/27/2019 8:09 AM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 9/27/2019 6:06 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 2019-09-27 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>

> I watched:
>
> Evil - In a surprisingly good pilot episode Katja Herbers stars as a
> forensic psychologist, and I think lapsed Catholic, who works as a hired
> gun for the DA. In her latest case she's surprised when out of the blue
> the defense starts to raise the prospect the defendant was possessed by
> a demon even though the defendant never hinted it at during their
> interviews. After doing a bit of sniffing around she runs into Luke
> Cage who works for the Catholic church investigating reports of Demon
> possession. Things start to happen that may or may not involve Katja
> coming face to face with a demon and she suddenly starts to rethink her
> life. And as luck would have it she finds herself in need of a new job
> and Luke Cage just happens to be in need of someone who can help him
> debunk fake allegations of demon possession, or verify the real thing.
> Aasif Mandvi and Michael Emerson round out the cast, with Emerson
> playing the type of creepy character only Emerson could play. Rather
> demons exist or not, Emerson definitely exists and he just oozes
> evilness. It was a solid premier that has me interested.

So that's why the actor playing Acosta looked familiar.

Yeah I was almost ready to write this off, then got hooked when Emerson
showed up. It was certainly intriguing and could be pretty good.

anim8rfsk

Sep 27, 2019, 12:24:41 PM9/27/19
Fri, 27 Sep 2019 08:09:35 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> The Shining (theatrical) 1980 Stanley Kubrick movie. It got a 4K
> restoration and theatrical rerelease. I'm not going to bother trying to
> recap it, because I'm honestly not at all sure what was happening! I
> probably haven't watched it in about 10 years. And I didn't remember it
> all that well. There was a lot in the movie that I was actually
> surprised by especially that it was a solid "R" flick. Even though I
> was not in any way impressed with the so-called new 4K print, I thought
> the cinematography, directing, and acting were all fine. The problem
> was the script! The movie makes *no* sense!!!! What exactly is the
> voice the kid hears? A ghost? Does it possess him? So Does Jack
> Nicholson's character *also* have the Shining? If he does, that would
> explain a lot. But that doesn't explain how Shelley Duvall also sees
> the ghosts. If you don't need the Shining to see the ghosts then what
> difference does it make that the kid even has the power? And are they
> ghosts or not? Something had to let Nicholson out of the room, so I
> guess yeah. But what exactly causes Nicholson to go insane in the first
> place? This gets back to secretly having the Shining? Reincarnation?
> Bad writing? Inquiring minds want to know!!! I can't say it's
> necessarily a bad movie. It certainly held my interest. But the movie
> seems to be almost entirely dependent on the audience having already
> read the book in order to make sense of the holes in the plot. It's as
> if Kubrick figured it's not a plot hole if it was explained in the book.
> That's *not* how movies work! :-/

This all perplexed me for some time. King says Kubrick used to call him in
the middle of the night and ask "do you believe in ghosts?" - King did,
Kubrick didn't. And that's where it falls apart. Kubrick's directing a ghost
story, but he doesn't believe, and couldn't bring himself to suspend his
disbelief, and ends up trying to make a mental breakdown story instead. The
voice the kid hears via his talking thumb is apparently himself from the
future. That's not in the book, and there's no way to get it from the movie -
like 2001, there's no way to know much of what's going on without outside
reading. Basically the book is about an okay guy who gets taken by ghosts in
an old haunted hotel, and the movie is about an already totally looney tunes
guy who has a complete breakdown in a regular old hotel that has nothing to
do with it except it's where he was at the time. Yes, that doesn't make
sense, because there's all sorts of stuff going on that we see that he's not
party to. Just assume we're seeing his hallucinations.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 27, 2019, 1:08:55 PM9/27/19
What?!?! So I should expect to see this in "Doctor Sleep?"

That's not in the book, and there's no way to get it from the movie -
> like 2001, there's no way to know much of what's going on without outside
> reading. Basically the book is about an okay guy who gets taken by ghosts in
> an old haunted hotel, and the movie is about an already totally looney tunes
> guy who has a complete breakdown in a regular old hotel that has nothing to
> do with it except it's where he was at the time. Yes, that doesn't make
> sense, because there's all sorts of stuff going on that we see that he's not
> party to. Just assume we're seeing his hallucinations.

But then how does he get out of the locked room?
And what about what the wife and kid see?

Robin Miller

Sep 27, 2019, 1:42:00 PM9/27/19
I have watched only the first 15 minutes, thought it was terrible and
was considering W/Qing it. Based on this I will watch the rest.

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Sep 27, 2019, 1:48:00 PM9/27/19
Fri, 27 Sep 2019 10:08:51 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
I don't know that reference.

In the movie he calls the finger Tony. In the book it's said that his middle
name is Anthony. Apparently that's the connection.

> That's not in the book, and there's no way to get it from the movie -
> > like 2001, there's no way to know much of what's going on without outside
> > reading. Basically the book is about an okay guy who gets taken by ghosts in
> > an old haunted hotel, and the movie is about an already totally looney tunes
> > guy who has a complete breakdown in a regular old hotel that has nothing to
> > do with it except it's where he was at the time. Yes, that doesn't make
> > sense, because there's all sorts of stuff going on that we see that he's not
> > party to. Just assume we're seeing his hallucinations.
>
> But then how does he get out of the locked room?
> And what about what the wife and kid see?

I *said* it didn't make sense.

A Friend

Sep 27, 2019, 3:19:57 PM9/27/19
In article <0001HW.233E82CC07...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
The novel is clear on the point: Tony is his future self. The movie
doesn't say.

DOCTOR SLEEP is the sequel to THE SHINING, just out now.

suzeeq

Sep 27, 2019, 3:50:04 PM9/27/19
On 9/27/2019 10:41 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
> [...]
>> Cage who works for the Catholic church investigating reports of Demon
>> possession. Things start to happen that may or may not involve Katja
>> coming face to face with a demon and she suddenly starts to rethink her
>> life. And as luck would have it she finds herself in need of a new job
>> and Luke Cage just happens to be in need of someone who can help him
>> debunk fake allegations of demon possession, or verify the real thing.
>> Aasif Mandvi and Michael Emerson round out the cast, with Emerson
>> playing the type of creepy character only Emerson could play. Rather
>> demons exist or not, Emerson definitely exists and he just oozes
>> evilness. It was a solid premier that has me interested.
>

> I have watched only the first 15 minutes, thought it was terrible and
> was considering W/Qing it. Based on this I will watch the rest.

Yeah, it got better as it went along.

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 27, 2019, 5:01:42 PM9/27/19
On 9/27/2019 12:49 PM, suzeeq wrote:
> On 9/27/2019 10:41 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>> Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
snip

>>> Evil - In a surprisingly good pilot episode Katja Herbers stars as a
>>> forensic psychologist, and I think lapsed Catholic, who works as a hired
>>> gun for the DA.  In her latest case she's surprised when out of the
>>> blue
>>> the defense starts to raise the prospect the defendant was possessed by
>>> a demon even though the defendant never hinted it at during their
>>> interviews.  After doing a bit of sniffing around she runs into Luke
>>> Cage who works for the Catholic church investigating reports of Demon
>>> possession.  Things start to happen that may or may not involve Katja
>>> coming face to face with a demon and she suddenly starts to rethink her
>>> life.  And as luck would have it she finds herself in need of a new job
>>> and Luke Cage just happens to be in need of someone who can help him
>>> debunk fake allegations of demon possession, or verify the real thing.
>>> Aasif Mandvi and Michael Emerson round out the cast, with Emerson
>>> playing the type of creepy character only Emerson could play.  Rather
>>> demons exist or not, Emerson definitely exists and he just oozes
>>> evilness.  It was a solid premier that has me interested.
>>

>> I have watched only the first 15 minutes, thought it was terrible and
>> was considering W/Qing it. Based on this I will watch the rest.
>>
>> --Robin
>>
> Yeah, it got better as it went along.

There was one thing I forgot to mention that really bugged me, a lot.
It's a plot point. At a certain point the doctor realizes she's
dreaming because she can't read. That scene stood out to me because
that exact same plot was used in an episode of Batman: The Animated
series. I was a child when that episode aired and even then I recall
thinking to myself, that's not true. I *can* read in my dreams. And
ever sense then I've actually made it a point to either, if I *know* I'm
dreaming, read something. Or when I wake up, if I read something, to
recall what I read. So that scene popped up in the episode, I could
have shouted at the TV. But after googling it, I guess it really is a
thing that most people can't read in their dreams. I guess I'm one of
the lucky few who can.

anim8rfsk

Sep 27, 2019, 5:09:56 PM9/27/19
Fri, 27 Sep 2019 14:01:35 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:
Apparently some people dream in black and white as well, and insist everybody
does. I dream in color, and read in my dreams in color. :)

A Friend

Sep 27, 2019, 6:14:11 PM9/27/19
In article <0001HW.233EB22007...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
I read something about this. People started dreaming in b&w when
movies started becoming popular. Later, b&w TV kept it going. It's
become much more rare now.

I remember the Batman TAS episode. I read all the times in my dreams,
but the stuff on the page keeps changing. This makes things kinda hard
to follow, but I sure as hell wouldn't jump off the roof of Stately
Friend Manor over it.

suzeeq

Sep 27, 2019, 7:35:39 PM9/27/19
On 9/27/2019 2:01 PM, Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> On 9/27/2019 12:49 PM, suzeeq wrote:
>> On 9/27/2019 10:41 AM, Robin Miller wrote:
>>> Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
> snip

>>> I have watched only the first 15 minutes, thought it was terrible and
>>> was considering W/Qing it. Based on this I will watch the rest.
>>>
>>> --Robin
>>>
>> Yeah, it got better as it went along.
>

> There was one thing I forgot to mention that really bugged me, a lot.
> It's a plot point. At a certain point the doctor realizes she's
> dreaming because she can't read. That scene stood out to me because
> that exact same plot was used in an episode of Batman: The Animated
> series. I was a child when that episode aired and even then I recall
> thinking to myself, that's not true. I *can* read in my dreams. And
> ever sense then I've actually made it a point to either, if I *know* I'm
> dreaming, read something. Or when I wake up, if I read something, to
> recall what I read. So that scene popped up in the episode, I could
> have shouted at the TV. But after googling it, I guess it really is a
> thing that most people can't read in their dreams. I guess I'm one of
> the lucky few who can.

Yep. I usually wake up from dreams when I'm trying to read something and
I can't and it frustrates me. Your two brain halves must work together
better than most peoples.

anim8rfsk

Sep 27, 2019, 8:16:14 PM9/27/19
huh

> I remember the Batman TAS episode. I read all the times in my dreams,
> but the stuff on the page keeps changing. This makes things kinda hard
> to follow, but I sure as hell wouldn't jump off the roof of Stately
> Friend Manor over it.

BTR1701

Sep 28, 2019, 1:58:44 AM9/28/19
In article <qml8nh$jre$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> The Shining (theatrical) 1980 Stanley Kubrick movie. It got a 4K
> restoration and theatrical rerelease. I'm not going to bother trying to
> recap it, because I'm honestly not at all sure what was happening! I
> probably haven't watched it in about 10 years. And I didn't remember it
> all that well. There was a lot in the movie that I was actually
> surprised by especially that it was a solid "R" flick. Even though I
> was not in any way impressed with the so-called new 4K print, I thought
> the cinematography, directing, and acting were all fine. The problem
> was the script! The movie makes *no* sense!!!! What exactly is the
> voice the kid hears? A ghost? Does it possess him? So Does Jack
> Nicholson's character *also* have the Shining? If he does, that would
> explain a lot. But that doesn't explain how Shelley Duvall also sees
> the ghosts. If you don't need the Shining to see the ghosts then what
> difference does it make that the kid even has the power?

The Danny's Shine was so powerful, he served as kind of battery that
amped up the hotel's evil and allowed it to punch through into the real
world, which is why Jack was driven mad and Wendy was able to eventually
see the ghostly manifestations of the hotel's spirit.

> But the movie seems to be almost entirely dependent on the audience
> having already read the book in order to make sense of the holes in
> the plot. It's as if Kubrick figured it's not a plot hole if it was
> explained in the book.

Actually, Kubrick jettisoned so much of the book and replaced it with
his own stuff that he couldn't possibly be relying on the book to help
explain what was going on.

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 28, 2019, 12:52:05 PM9/28/19
On 9/27/2019 11:00 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> In article <qml8nh$jre$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
>> The Shining (theatrical) 1980 Stanley Kubrick movie. It got a 4K
>> restoration and theatrical rerelease. I'm not going to bother trying to
>> recap it, because I'm honestly not at all sure what was happening! I
>> probably haven't watched it in about 10 years. And I didn't remember it
>> all that well. There was a lot in the movie that I was actually
>> surprised by especially that it was a solid "R" flick. Even though I
>> was not in any way impressed with the so-called new 4K print, I thought
>> the cinematography, directing, and acting were all fine. The problem
>> was the script! The movie makes *no* sense!!!! What exactly is the
>> voice the kid hears? A ghost? Does it possess him? So Does Jack
>> Nicholson's character *also* have the Shining? If he does, that would
>> explain a lot. But that doesn't explain how Shelley Duvall also sees
>> the ghosts. If you don't need the Shining to see the ghosts then what
>> difference does it make that the kid even has the power?
>
> The Danny's Shine was so powerful, he served as kind of battery that
> amped up the hotel's evil and allowed it to punch through into the real
> world, which is why Jack was driven mad and Wendy was able to eventually
> see the ghostly manifestations of the hotel's spirit.

That makes sense. It's sort of like the plot of "Poltergeist." Just
have Hong Kong Phooey *say* that, problem solved. That would also
explain why it was safe for him to be there, but once he realized that
kid was powerful enough to manifest ghosts he rushed back.

>> But the movie seems to be almost entirely dependent on the audience
>> having already read the book in order to make sense of the holes in
>> the plot. It's as if Kubrick figured it's not a plot hole if it was
>> explained in the book.
>
> Actually, Kubrick jettisoned so much of the book and replaced it with
> his own stuff that he couldn't possibly be relying on the book to help
> explain what was going on.

I am *really* curious to see where the plot of "Doctor Sleep" goes. The
trailers are very vague and don't give anything away, which I like.
From what I've gleamed online King wrote a sequel, but the movie will
serve more of a sequel to Kubrick's movie instead of King's book. At
least that's what I *think* I read. I really don't remember, and I'm
happy to be surprised when I see the movie.

Jim G.

Sep 28, 2019, 1:21:41 PM9/28/19
Ubiquitous sent the following on 9/27/19 at 3:30 AM:
> What did you watch?

EVIL / 1x01 / Pilot

[Forensic psychologist Kristen Bouchard is hired by the Catholic Church
to work with David Acosta, a priest-in-training, and contractor Ben
Shakir, to determine whether a serial killer is possessed by a demon or
merely a psychopath. Kristen finds that she has a taste for the work and
is invited to join the team on a permanent basis.]

I liked this one a lot, and it's pretty close to my wheelhouse on most
fronts. The leads are competent and their characters likable, although
his Obi-Wan mystique could get old in a hurry if they allow it to. I
recognized her from somewhere and had to check; she is the owner of the
famous pair of perfect breasts from WESTWORLD and still looks
ridiculously young and cute for a woman who'll be 40 on her next
birthday. Without a full coating of makeup, she looks 32; with the
makeup, she looks 22. As for Luke Cage, I didn't watch him in that role
but it took me about five minutes to place his voice and facial
expressions: the guy is a black Jason Frakes!!!

In any case, it looks like Ben/Harold will be the evil glue holding the
standalone episodes together, and it's a good role for him. I just want
to know if he just grew his hair out or if he's wearing a rug these days...

Grade: B+

"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE

anim8rfsk

Sep 28, 2019, 2:23:46 PM9/28/19
Sat, 28 Sep 2019 09:52:00 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:
That's what happened with Crichton/Spielberg's sequel(s) to Jurassic Park
"The Lost World" which ended up in a mediocre book and one of the worst
movies ever made.

David Barnett

Sep 29, 2019, 2:41:57 AM9/29/19
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...

> What did you watch?

On Thursday September 26, I watched:

BLINDSPOT: 4x20 Masters of War 1:5 - 8
Another villain hits the dust.
Grade B

LIFE SENTENCE: 1x10 The Way We Work
An unbelievably young marriage counselor
Grade B-

--
David Barnett

Micky DuPree

Oct 12, 2019, 2:15:32 AM10/12/19
In article <qml8nh$jre$1...@dont-email.me> , Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> The Good Place - "A Girl From Arizona Part 1" - The 4th and final
> season kicks off, and I was a need of a better recap to fully get me
> up to speed.

A lot has happened, hasn't it?

> Anyway, with Eleanor now in charge of the fake Good Place, the fate of
> all of humanity rests on the gang's ability to take 4 human souls and
> make them better people. Except demons from the bad place get to pick
> the 4 souls and are actively working to sabotage things. I loved the
> bad places' theme song.

I'm not feeling a strong sense of insight on the part of the team, but I
guess they're all new at this.

-Micky