10 Sci-Fi Shows That Aged Poorly - Regardless of the cult following, some sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.

22 views
Skip to first unread message

Ubiquitous

unread,
Sep 20, 2022, 6:32:59 PM (5 days ago) Sep 20
to
In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to classic
sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the sci-fi genre
has a wildly loyal community, defending most borderline-cringe plots.
Regardless of the cult following, some sci-fi series have not stood the
test of time.

While sitcoms get berated for distasteful jokes that don't align with
the values of today's political climate, sci-fi shows are more so at
risk of not looking as cool as before. When battling aliens, "looking
cool" is an essential factor that adds to its authenticity. So, when
viewers rewatch classics from decades ago, the low production value
often becomes a topic of harsh criticism in the niche community.

10 Four Seasons Of Heroes Is Generous (Heroes)

During its prime, Heroes did surprisingly well. A disparate group of
randoms worldwide obtain superpowers for the very first time. Albeit
sounding corny now, 2006 was raving about the premise. However, with
Marvel producing all things superhero every other week, the rest of the
entertainment industry pursuing anything remotely similar never stands
a chance.

Sporadically throwing in plot twists and ending seemingly every episode
on cliffhangers wasn't enough for Heroes to keep afloat. By today's
standard of superhero shows, anything without decades of comic book
history supporting them is deemed unworthy of success.

9 Lost Should Get Lost (Lost)

Lost is the poster child for lack of proper planning. When
storyboarding any story, it's crucial to consider how the worldbuilding
will progress as naturally as possible. However, with how eccentric the
premise of Lost already was, finding a naturally developing story
progression is a feat.

Towards the end of Lost, it becomes increasingly clear that the
creators never had a plan. Throwing in random anecdotes like polar
bears on a stranded, tropical island is as fascinating as Lost gets. As
compelling as the original synopsis was, the series ran its course. No
one wishes for a Lost revival any time soon.

8 Star Trek Is A Classic Despite The Run-Down Production (Star Trek:
The Next Generation)

Star Trek is undoubtedly sci-fi royalty. Cult following aside, Star
Trek: The Next Generation stands by some timeless values that align
with today's inclusive political ideals. It makes several attempts at
diversity and gender equality. Disregarding how these pertinent issues
are addressed and reflected in the dialogue, for the '60s, the show
made a solid attempt at standing on compassionate and harmonious
grounds.

Star Trek: The Next Generation mostly ages in terms of its actual
production. From hairstyles to amateur lighting, the series' overall
aesthetic is incredibly outdated. Combined with stiff acting and slow
pacing, Star Trek: The Next Generation may be part of a classic, but by
no means has it aged well as a series.

7 Inhumans.
Many shows and movies have proven that the Marvel name doesn't
guarantee anything but epic CGI. This is why it speaks to how horrid
Inhumans is — they don't even have that going for them.

Inhumans started aging horribly before it was even released. Originally
marketed as a movie, the first two episodes of the eight-episode series
were screened on IMAX and received monumental negative reviews from
critics and audiences. Being one of Jack Kirby's most significant
works, Inhumans had a lot going for it. Yet, its delivery disappointed
even the most hardcore Marvel fans. Conning it an X-Men knockoff,
Inhumans had mediocre production value and cringe dialogue, downgrading
an otherwise cool concept in the Marvel Universe.

6 Conspiracy Theorists Are Now Internet Trolls (X-Files)

Once upon a time, conspiracy theorists took center stage in the media
instead of hiding under endless Reddit threads in the deepest, darkest
corners of the internet. By reputation of mythology alone, X-Files has
aged poorly.

When a series runs for 11 seasons, transcending decades into a new
millennium, aging poorly is entirely understandable. From 1993 to 2018,
X-Files fans have watched countless weekly monsters flop. Alternating
between the good and the bad, X-Files has had polarizing reviews.
Overall it has aged poorly, especially with the innumerable X-Files
variants the world has seen since its release.

5 The 100 Is Australia (The 100)

Unofficially paying homage to Australia's convict past, The 100 sends
100 juvenile convicts to planet Earth decades after its devastation.
While initially raking in positive reviews left and right, the hype
around the once-intriguing premise died out fairly quickly.

After the second season, the plot went rather bonkers. Killing off
beloved characters for insufficient reasons and adding filler plot
points stalled the story's pacing. The 100 may have redeemed themselves
in a couple of their following seasons, but Season 7's controversial
premiere finally ended the show's declining reputation once and for
all.

4 Westworld.

Series prolonging its inevitable end is a common epidemic in Hollywood.
Many deem Westworld's first season as some of the best pilot seasons
television has ever seen. A classic case of robots taking over the
world, the futuristic amusement park falls victim to machines gaining
sentience. This compelling premise was delivered beautifully in the
first season, but the same could not be said for the two that supersede
it.

With complex worldbuilding and riveting action sequences, Westworld set
itself up for failure by putting the bar so high with its first season.
Their attempt at unveiling their plot twist in Season 2 didn't live up
to the immensely suspenseful setup in the prior season.
Overcompensating for Season 2's convoluted approach, Season 3 fell flat
in plot progression and was overly cynical for no apparent reason.

3 Primeval.

Like Westworld and many, many more in Hollywood, Primeval outlived its
expiry date. Time-twisting related plots always have captivating
synopses. Primeval follows a group of eccentric government officials
battling time-bending anomalies from across the infinite timeline.

Unlike Westworld, Primeval had more than just one good season. Doubling
that number, Primeval only started progressively declining during its
controversial third season. Frankly, any show audacious enough to kill
off its main character is at risk of aging poorly. Unsurprisingly, the
demise of the main protagonist buries multiple unanswered story arcs.
Somehow, the show continues for two seasons following Nick Cutter's
death. Without anything enticing enough for the audience to stick
around, Primeval started aging poorly before the series ended.

2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)

When Sliders first debuted in 1995, the multiverse introduction had the
audience quaking. Exploring every possible corner of the multiverse,
the group of four jumps from one Earth to another. Some only varied
slightly to Earth Prime, but others featured the USSR being the
dominant empire and spider-wasp hybrids slowly killing off the human
race.

Somewhere along the line, Sliders' creators started taking a darker
approach to their adventures. Dabbling in the horror genre and adding
aliens into the mix muddled the series. Despite the creativity, the
change in direction ruined the once-riveting series. Especially now,
with the MCU and the Arrowverse taking center stage in the media,
Sliders looks like a confusing and amateur predecessor.

1 Stargate SG-1 Was Dethroned For Low Production Value (Stargate SG-1)

Stargate SG-1 had immense popularity and success when it came out in
'97. It was a powerhouse on Showtime and overwhelmingly raked in
viewers when MGM and the premium cable network invested big money into
the program.

However, their time under the sun was abruptly cut short with Richard
Dean Anderson's leave at the end of Season 8. There was a shift in
character development and plot progression. Although longtime fans
stuck around for the sake of their loyalty to the show, the passion
they once had for Stargate SG-1 was long gone. With how much technology
has progressed and the film industry has evolved, Stargate SG-1 no
longer has the same allure. Not even nostalgia can salvage what once
seemed revolutionary and has degraded into an amateur-looking motion
picture.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Sep 20, 2022, 7:52:08 PM (5 days ago) Sep 20
to
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote in
news:3DKdnQwU-64Porf-...@giganews.com:

> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to
> classic sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the
> sci-fi genre has a wildly loyal community, defending most
> borderline-cringe plots. Regardless of the cult following, some
> sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.
>
> While sitcoms get berated for distasteful jokes that don't align
> with the values of today's political climate, sci-fi shows are
> more so at risk of not looking as cool as before. When battling
> aliens, "looking cool" is an essential factor that adds to its
> authenticity. So, when viewers rewatch classics from decades
> ago, the low production value often becomes a topic of harsh
> criticism in the niche community.
>
> 10 Four Seasons Of Heroes Is Generous (Heroes)
>
> During its prime, Heroes did surprisingly well.

It's prime was seaon one. After that, it went to hell in a handbasket
pretty quickly.

> 9 Lost Should Get Lost (Lost)
>
Jar Jar Abrams has (or had, at any rate) a certain knack for
beginnings, and negative talent for endings. The transition in the
middle is usually pretty abrupt.
>
> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)

A stupid idea from day one.

--
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

kensi

unread,
Sep 20, 2022, 11:36:41 PM (5 days ago) Sep 20
to
On 2022-09-20 6:30 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> ...
> 1 Stargate SG-1

Oh, no, you didn't!

I will give you until the count of three to retract that scurrilous and
defamatory remark, and then I will make you eat your cable-modem.
Without any sauces or side dishes.

--
"To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain
the known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy." ~David Brooks
"I get fooled all the time by the constant hosiery parade
in here." ~Checkmate


RichA

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 12:08:03 AM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
Despite the bleating about inclusiveness, I'd agree on Star Trek vs. Next Gen. Star Trek was as man's show. Action, hot females and men who actually acted like men and not turtle-paced
indecisive nancy-boys, a la Star Trek: Next Generation.

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 12:45:44 AM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to classic
> sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the sci-fi genre
> has a wildly loyal community, defending most borderline-cringe plots.
> Regardless of the cult following, some sci-fi series have not stood the
> test of time.
>
> While sitcoms get berated for distasteful jokes that don't align with
> the values of today's political climate, sci-fi shows are more so at
> risk of not looking as cool as before. When battling aliens, "looking
> cool" is an essential factor that adds to its authenticity. So, when
> viewers rewatch classics from decades ago, the low production value
> often becomes a topic of harsh criticism in the niche community.
>

I don’t know what happened to CBR. They used to be interesting at least.
The last couple of years they seem to be farming out their articles to
deeply stupid people. Let’s see what they’ve done this time.



> 10 Four Seasons Of Heroes Is Generous (Heroes)
>
> During its prime, Heroes did surprisingly well. A disparate group of
> randoms worldwide obtain superpowers for the very first time. Albeit
> sounding corny now, 2006 was raving about the premise. However, with
> Marvel producing all things superhero every other week, the rest of the
> entertainment industry pursuing anything remotely similar never stands
> a chance.
>
> Sporadically throwing in plot twists and ending seemingly every episode
> on cliffhangers wasn't enough for Heroes to keep afloat. By today's
> standard of superhero shows, anything without decades of comic book
> history supporting them is deemed unworthy of success.
>

HEROES didn’t age badly; it wasn’t any good right from the Pilot episode
which is where I stopped watching.


> 9 Lost Should Get Lost (Lost)
>
> Lost is the poster child for lack of proper planning. When
> storyboarding any story, it's crucial to consider how the worldbuilding
> will progress as naturally as possible. However, with how eccentric the
> premise of Lost already was, finding a naturally developing story
> progression is a feat.
>
> Towards the end of Lost, it becomes increasingly clear that the
> creators never had a plan. Throwing in random anecdotes like polar
> bears on a stranded, tropical island is as fascinating as Lost gets. As
> compelling as the original synopsis was, the series ran its course. No
> one wishes for a Lost revival any time soon.

LOST fell apart halfway through the series, which the article mentions. So
I’m not sure how that classifies as “aged badly“


>
> 8 Star Trek Is A Classic Despite The Run-Down Production (Star Trek:
> The Next Generation)
>
> Star Trek is undoubtedly sci-fi royalty. Cult following aside, Star
> Trek: The Next Generation stands by some timeless values that align
> with today's inclusive political ideals. It makes several attempts at
> diversity and gender equality. Disregarding how these pertinent issues
> are addressed and reflected in the dialogue, for the '60s, the show
> made a solid attempt at standing on compassionate and harmonious
> grounds.
>
> Star Trek: The Next Generation mostly ages in terms of its actual
> production. From hairstyles to amateur lighting, the series' overall
> aesthetic is incredibly outdated. Combined with stiff acting and slow
> pacing, Star Trek: The Next Generation may be part of a classic, but by
> no means has it aged well as a series.

STAR TREK TNG was rotten right from the pilot all the way to data versus
the space Mayans and including its movies. The person writing this article
is an idiot. My viewing accomplice said after encounter at Farpoint that
if this mess was called Battlestar Galactica the next generation we
wouldn’t have tuned in for episode two.


>
> 7 Inhumans.
> Many shows and movies have proven that the Marvel name doesn't
> guarantee anything but epic CGI. This is why it speaks to how horrid
> Inhumans is — they don't even have that going for them.
>
> Inhumans started aging horribly before it was even released. Originally
> marketed as a movie, the first two episodes of the eight-episode series
> were screened on IMAX and received monumental negative reviews from
> critics and audiences. Being one of Jack Kirby's most significant
> works, Inhumans had a lot going for it. Yet, its delivery disappointed
> even the most hardcore Marvel fans. Conning it an X-Men knockoff,
> Inhumans had mediocre production value and cringe dialogue, downgrading
> an otherwise cool concept in the Marvel Universe.

INHUMANS
OMG! Inhumans collapsed during the first episode! How can something that
was terrible to start with age poorly? And I love the Inhumans in the
comics. But the first thing they did was decide they couldn’t afford the
effects and so they moved everybody off screen. Shaved medusa‘s head. Lost
the lockjaw.


>
> 6 Conspiracy Theorists Are Now Internet Trolls (X-Files)
>
> Once upon a time, conspiracy theorists took center stage in the media
> instead of hiding under endless Reddit threads in the deepest, darkest
> corners of the internet. By reputation of mythology alone, X-Files has
> aged poorly.
>
> When a series runs for 11 seasons, transcending decades into a new
> millennium, aging poorly is entirely understandable. From 1993 to 2018,
> X-Files fans have watched countless weekly monsters flop. Alternating
> between the good and the bad, X-Files has had polarizing reviews.
> Overall it has aged poorly, especially with the innumerable X-Files
> variants the world has seen since its release.
>

X FILES ran out of steam halfway through. I’ve never even seen a lot of the
later episodes.



> 5 The 100 Is Australia (The 100)
>
> Unofficially paying homage to Australia's convict past, The 100 sends
> 100 juvenile convicts to planet Earth decades after its devastation.
> While initially raking in positive reviews left and right, the hype
> around the once-intriguing premise died out fairly quickly.
>
> After the second season, the plot went rather bonkers. Killing off
> beloved characters for insufficient reasons and adding filler plot
> points stalled the story's pacing. The 100 may have redeemed themselves
> in a couple of their following seasons, but Season 7's controversial
> premiere finally ended the show's declining reputation once and for
> all.

The 100 was rotten from the start. Right down to the fact that there never
were 100 convicts. Idiots. A show only Ian James Ball could love.


>
> 4 Westworld.
>
> Series prolonging its inevitable end is a common epidemic in Hollywood.
> Many deem Westworld's first season as some of the best pilot seasons
> television has ever seen. A classic case of robots taking over the
> world, the futuristic amusement park falls victim to machines gaining
> sentience. This compelling premise was delivered beautifully in the
> first season, but the same could not be said for the two that supersede
> it.
>
> With complex worldbuilding and riveting action sequences, Westworld set
> itself up for failure by putting the bar so high with its first season.
> Their attempt at unveiling their plot twist in Season 2 didn't live up
> to the immensely suspenseful setup in the prior season.
> Overcompensating for Season 2's convoluted approach, Season 3 fell flat
> in plot progression and was overly cynical for no apparent reason.
>

Westworld is still in production for God sakes! It augured in in season two
when they switchEd show runners.



> 3 Primeval.
>
> Like Westworld and many, many more in Hollywood, Primeval outlived its
> expiry date. Time-twisting related plots always have captivating
> synopses. Primeval follows a group of eccentric government officials
> battling time-bending anomalies from across the infinite timeline.
>
> Unlike Westworld, Primeval had more than just one good season. Doubling
> that number, Primeval only started progressively declining during its
> controversial third season. Frankly, any show audacious enough to kill
> off its main character is at risk of aging poorly. Unsurprisingly, the
> demise of the main protagonist buries multiple unanswered story arcs.
> Somehow, the show continues for two seasons following Nick Cutter's
> death. Without anything enticing enough for the audience to stick
> around, Primeval started aging poorly before the series ended.
>

PRIMEVAL kept dribbling out new stuff for a long time but I’m glad they did
because they actually wrapped everything up.


> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>
> When Sliders first debuted in 1995, the multiverse introduction had the
> audience quaking. Exploring every possible corner of the multiverse,
> the group of four jumps from one Earth to another. Some only varied
> slightly to Earth Prime, but others featured the USSR being the
> dominant empire and spider-wasp hybrids slowly killing off the human
> race.
>
> Somewhere along the line, Sliders' creators started taking a darker
> approach to their adventures. Dabbling in the horror genre and adding
> aliens into the mix muddled the series. Despite the creativity, the
> change in direction ruined the once-riveting series. Especially now,
> with the MCU and the Arrowverse taking center stage in the media,
> Sliders looks like a confusing and amateur predecessor.
>

SLIDERS crashed and burned when they lost Sabrina Lloyd.


> 1 Stargate SG-1 Was Dethroned For Low Production Value (Stargate SG-1)
>
> Stargate SG-1 had immense popularity and success when it came out in
> '97. It was a powerhouse on Showtime and overwhelmingly raked in
> viewers when MGM and the premium cable network invested big money into
> the program.
>
> However, their time under the sun was abruptly cut short with Richard
> Dean Anderson's leave at the end of Season 8. There was a shift in
> character development and plot progression. Although longtime fans
> stuck around for the sake of their loyalty to the show, the passion
> they once had for Stargate SG-1 was long gone. With how much technology
> has progressed and the film industry has evolved, Stargate SG-1 no
> longer has the same allure. Not even nostalgia can salvage what once
> seemed revolutionary and has degraded into an amateur-looking motion
> picture.

STARGATE SG1 did lose its way, but not when Jack left entirely but when he
became goofy Jack. The last two seasons, STARGATE FG 1 (the “FG“ stands
for: FARGATE!) Are different but not bad in any way. In fact some of the
best work is there, right down too and definitely including the finale
CONTINUUM. Now what sucks is Stargate SGA Atlantis. What sucks worse is
Stargate SGU universe. What sucks worse is Stargate SG O origins. O my God
does origins suck. I don’t think I can possibly express how badly origins
sucks.

So whoever or whatever wrote this (when you use a non-standard single word
as your bio name and no picture you really need to include your pronouns)
just got it all wrong right from the premise. They didn’t manage to come up
with one show that seemed good at the time and that you were embarrassed to
watch a rerun of now.

How about season two of lost in space?




>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!
>
>



--
The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it is still on my list.

Adam H. Kerman

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 9:35:08 AM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>. . .

>STARGATE SG1 did lose its way, but not when Jack left entirely but when he
>became goofy Jack. The last two seasons, STARGATE FG 1 (the "FG" stands
>for: FARGATE!) Are different but not bad in any way. In fact some of the
>best work is there, right down too and definitely including the finale
>CONTINUUM.

What didn't work at all was they finally defeated the Go'a'uld but began
facing a different enemy with plots that were way too similar. I still
hated the Replicators.

>. . .

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 10:59:04 AM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
Yeah it was like Star Trek trading the Romulans for the Klingons or Tom
Swift defeating the Brungarians just to have the Kranjovians raise their
ugly heads. Basically distinctions without differences.


>
>> . . .

kensi

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 10:28:34 PM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
On 2022-09-21 12:08 a.m., RichA wrote:
> Despite the bleating about inclusiveness, I'd agree on Star Trek vs.
> Next Gen. Star Trek was as man's show. Action, hot females and men
> who actually acted like men and not turtle-paced indecisive nancy-boys,
> a la Star Trek: Next Generation.

Misogyny noted. Toxic masculinity noted. Get back to us when you have a
real argument to make.

kensi

unread,
Sep 21, 2022, 10:32:29 PM (4 days ago) Sep 21
to
On 2022-09-21 12:45 a.m., anim8rfsk wrote:
> STARGATE SG1 did lose its way, but not when Jack left entirely but when he
> became goofy Jack. The last two seasons, STARGATE FG 1 (the “FG“ stands
> for: FARGATE!) Are different but not bad in any way. In fact some of the
> best work is there, right down too and definitely including the finale
> CONTINUUM.

Excellent, excellent ...

> Now what sucks is Stargate SGA Atlantis.

No. You take that back!

Ubiquitous

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 7:26:49 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to classic
>> sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the sci-fi genre
>> has a wildly loyal community, defending most borderline-cringe plots.
>> Regardless of the cult following, some sci-fi series have not stood the
>> test of time.
>>
>> While sitcoms get berated for distasteful jokes that don't align with
>> the values of today's political climate, sci-fi shows are more so at
>> risk of not looking as cool as before. When battling aliens, "looking
>> cool" is an essential factor that adds to its authenticity. So, when
>> viewers rewatch classics from decades ago, the low production value
>> often becomes a topic of harsh criticism in the niche community.
>>
>> 10 Four Seasons Of Heroes Is Generous (Heroes)
>>
>> During its prime, Heroes did surprisingly well. A disparate group of
>> randoms worldwide obtain superpowers for the very first time. Albeit
>> sounding corny now, 2006 was raving about the premise. However, with
>> Marvel producing all things superhero every other week, the rest of the
>> entertainment industry pursuing anything remotely similar never stands
>> a chance.
>>
>> Sporadically throwing in plot twists and ending seemingly every episode
>> on cliffhangers wasn't enough for Heroes to keep afloat. By today's
>> standard of superhero shows, anything without decades of comic book
>> history supporting them is deemed unworthy of success.
>
> HEROES didn't age badly; it wasn't any good right from the Pilot episode
>which is where I stopped watching.

I disagree. I think the first season was great, but then they immediately
brought back Skyler in season two...
Danny from Superhero Movies Every day

https://superheroeseveryday.com/2022/08/29/inhumans-70b-1/#more-11518

is currently covering this with the host of the Signal Watch Podcast.
Apparently, he's the only person who watched the entire series.

>> 6 Conspiracy Theorists Are Now Internet Trolls (X-Files)
>>
>> Once upon a time, conspiracy theorists took center stage in the media
>> instead of hiding under endless Reddit threads in the deepest, darkest
>> corners of the internet. By reputation of mythology alone, X-Files has
>> aged poorly.
>>
>> When a series runs for 11 seasons, transcending decades into a new
>> millennium, aging poorly is entirely understandable. From 1993 to 2018,
>> X-Files fans have watched countless weekly monsters flop. Alternating
>> between the good and the bad, X-Files has had polarizing reviews.
>> Overall it has aged poorly, especially with the innumerable X-Files
>> variants the world has seen since its release.
>
> X FILES ran out of steam halfway through. I've never even seen a lot
> of the later episodes.

I got tired of them continuously switching between "it's really a an
alien conspiracy" and "It's really a gubberment coverup".

>> 5 The 100 Is Australia (The 100)
>>
>> Unofficially paying homage to Australia's convict past, The 100 sends
>> 100 juvenile convicts to planet Earth decades after its devastation.
>> While initially raking in positive reviews left and right, the hype
>> around the once-intriguing premise died out fairly quickly.
>>
>> After the second season, the plot went rather bonkers. Killing off
>> beloved characters for insufficient reasons and adding filler plot
>> points stalled the story's pacing. The 100 may have redeemed themselves
>> in a couple of their following seasons, but Season 7's controversial
>> premiere finally ended the show's declining reputation once and for
>> all.
>
> The 100 was rotten from the start. Right down to the fact that there never
> were 100 convicts. Idiots. A show only Ian James Ball could love.

Never saw it.
We could have had DOORWAYS.

Madlove

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 9:13:56 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
On 09/20/2022 08:52 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote in
> news:3DKdnQwU-64Porf-...@giganews.com:
>
>> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to
>> classic sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the
>> sci-fi genre has a wildly loyal community, defending most
>> borderline-cringe plots. Regardless of the cult following, some
>> sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.


> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>
> A stupid idea from day one.

Sliders was trash from the beginning.

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 11:41:52 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
It was fun.

--
I've done good in this world. Now I'm tired and just want to be a cranky
dirty old man.

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 11:46:56 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
And the story changed radically with each season. Basically a different
show each season using the same characters.
I think I watched all of it but all I really remember is summed up by
Anim's hair-chewing weasels comment.

>>> 6 Conspiracy Theorists Are Now Internet Trolls (X-Files)
>>>
>>> Once upon a time, conspiracy theorists took center stage in the media
>>> instead of hiding under endless Reddit threads in the deepest, darkest
>>> corners of the internet. By reputation of mythology alone, X-Files has
>>> aged poorly.
>>>
>>> When a series runs for 11 seasons, transcending decades into a new
>>> millennium, aging poorly is entirely understandable. From 1993 to 2018,
>>> X-Files fans have watched countless weekly monsters flop. Alternating
>>> between the good and the bad, X-Files has had polarizing reviews.
>>> Overall it has aged poorly, especially with the innumerable X-Files
>>> variants the world has seen since its release.
>>
>> X FILES ran out of steam halfway through. I've never even seen a lot
>> of the later episodes.
>
> I got tired of them continuously switching between "it's really a an
> alien conspiracy" and "It's really a gubberment coverup".
>
It was an alien run government coverup of the alien conspiracy with the
government.

Ubiquitous

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 11:58:24 AM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
In article <tghvnr$278o2$2...@dont-email.me>, dtr...@sonic.net wrote:
> On 9/20/2022 5:34 PM, Madlove wrote:
>> On 09/20/2022 08:52 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>>> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to
>>>> classic sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the
>>>> sci-fi genre has a wildly loyal community, defending most
>>>> borderline-cringe plots. Regardless of the cult following, some
>>>> sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.
>>>
>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>
>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>
>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>
> It was fun.

I enjoyed it, but they quickly ran out of good ideas for alternative Earths
because they only spent one ep on each and I got bored.

Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 12:24:27 PM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote in news:tghvnr$278o2$2
@dont-email.me:

> On 9/20/2022 5:34 PM, Madlove wrote:
>> On 09/20/2022 08:52 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote in
>>> news:3DKdnQwU-64Porf-...@giganews.com:
>>>
>>>> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to
>>>> classic sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the
>>>> sci-fi genre has a wildly loyal community, defending most
>>>> borderline-cringe plots. Regardless of the cult following, some
>>>> sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.
>>
>>
>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>
>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>
>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>>
> It was fun.
>
The most fun thing about it was changing the channel. The commercials
were more entertaining, and had higher production values.

Your Name

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 4:34:36 PM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
On 2022-09-22 15:41:52 +0000, Dimensional Traveler said:
> On 9/20/2022 5:34 PM, Madlove wrote:
>> On 09/20/2022 08:52 PM, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha wrote:
>>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote in
>>> news:3DKdnQwU-64Porf-...@giganews.com:
>>>>
>>>> In mainstream media, sci-fi shows tend to take a backseat to
>>>> classic sitcoms and profoundly popular dramas. Despite this, the
>>>> sci-fi genre has a wildly loyal community, defending most
>>>> borderline-cringe plots. Regardless of the cult following, some
>>>> sci-fi series have not stood the test of time.
>>>
>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>
>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>
>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>
> It was fun.

It was okay to start with, but as usual they quickly ran out of
sensible ideas, then the cast started bailing out as well as the
silliness of suddenly bringing in the Klingon ... err, "Kromagg"
baddies, out of nowhere.


kensi

unread,
Sep 22, 2022, 11:16:06 PM (3 days ago) Sep 22
to
On 2022-09-22 4:30 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> anim...@cox.net wrote:
>> SLIDERS crashed and burned when they lost Sabrina Lloyd.
>
> We could have had DOORWAYS.

We *did*. They just called it something else instead:

>>> 1 Stargate SG-1

The Horny Goat

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 2:37:28 AM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
On Tue, 20 Sep 2022 21:34:27 -0300, Madlove <mad...@arkham.dc> wrote:

>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>
>> A stupid idea from day one.
>
>Sliders was trash from the beginning.

It had some good ideas but was not well done. I watched it mostly
because it was shot in my home town and the idea that the Queen
Elizabeth park arboretum (sp?) could be the Kromag HQ was too funny
for words.

A Friend

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 7:23:31 AM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
In article <tgj8di$1un$5...@gioia.aioe.org>, kensi
<kkensingto...@gmail.invalid> wrote:

> On 2022-09-22 4:30 a.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> > anim...@cox.net wrote:
> >> SLIDERS crashed and burned when they lost Sabrina Lloyd.
> >
> > We could have had DOORWAYS.
>
> We *did*. They just called it something else instead:
>
> >>> 1 Stargate SG-1


The Doorways thing became an in-joke here. Someone kept complaining
that "We could of had DOORWAYS" instead of Sliders because -- well, I
don't remember why.

The Horny Goat

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 12:54:31 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:56:48 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>>
>>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>>
>>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>>
>> It was fun.
>
>I enjoyed it, but they quickly ran out of good ideas for alternative Earths
>because they only spent one ep on each and I got bored.
>
The episode I remember best is the one where he thought at first he
had arrived 'home' but realized it was an alternate universe since
his front gate didn't squeak and he knew he had intended to oil that
same hinge when he got home that night.

shawn

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 1:50:24 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:54:25 -0700, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:
Except didn't they show an oil can at some point suggesting that
someone in the family may have oiled the front gate and so it could
have been his home universe.

Ubiquitous

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 2:47:48 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
Not realizing his mother oiled it for him.
Wink-WAH!

Ubiquitous

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 2:49:43 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
His mother, off-screen, yelled something like "I oiled the gate for you
while you were at work!".

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 3:27:44 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
As I recall immediately after the Sliders left his mother came out
talking with a man, thanking him for the work he had done including
oiling the front gate which her son had always intended to do. It was
clear to me that was intended to show that it was their home universe.

A Friend

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 3:34:11 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
In article <tgl1ba$2kdls$1...@dont-email.me>, Dimensional Traveler
Sliders was relentlessly stupid, which is a shame, as I thought the
basic idea was fascinating. I also liked the cast, particularly the
professor. The Kromagg thing was unspeakably bad.

BTW if they thought they were home, all they had to do was go to the
slider unit thingie to see if their remote control affected it. They
never did that because stoopid.

The Horny Goat

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 3:46:00 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
I could be wrong but I >think< the episode I'm referring to is the
series premier

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 4:39:14 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
Jack O’Neill’s pond had no fish.

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 6:46:25 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
They didn't have time. They literally only had seconds on that slide,
it would have taken them longer to get into the basement than they had left.

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 6:47:08 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
*SPLISH*

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 7:11:13 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 9/23/2022 1:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:56:48 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>>>>>
>>>>> It was fun.
>>>>
>>>> I enjoyed it, but they quickly ran out of good ideas for alternative Earths
>>>> because they only spent one ep on each and I got bored.
>>>>
>>> The episode I remember best is the one where he thought at first he
>>> had arrived 'home' but realized it was an alternate universe since
>>> his front gate didn't squeak and he knew he had intended to oil that
>>> same hinge when he got home that night.
>>>
>>
>> Jack O’Neill’s pond had no fish.
>>
> *SPLISH*
>

:)

“Close enough”

shawn

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 7:11:32 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:47:06 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
<dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>On 9/23/2022 1:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:56:48 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>>>>>
>>>>> It was fun.
>>>>
>>>> I enjoyed it, but they quickly ran out of good ideas for alternative Earths
>>>> because they only spent one ep on each and I got bored.
>>>>
>>> The episode I remember best is the one where he thought at first he
>>> had arrived 'home' but realized it was an alternate universe since
>>> his front gate didn't squeak and he knew he had intended to oil that
>>> same hinge when he got home that night.
>>>
>>
>> Jack O’Neill’s pond had no fish.
>>
>*SPLISH*

That was a turtle.

Dimensional Traveler

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 9:01:34 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
Leaping into the air in the middle of the pond. o_O

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 10:30:11 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
Hee hee

anim8rfsk

unread,
Sep 23, 2022, 10:30:12 PM (2 days ago) Sep 23
to
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 9/23/2022 4:11 PM, shawn wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 15:47:06 -0700, Dimensional Traveler
>> <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/23/2022 1:39 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>>> The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>>>>> On Thu, 22 Sep 2022 11:56:48 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> 2 The World Is No Stranger To The Multiverse (Sliders)
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> A stupid idea from day one.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Sliders was trash from the beginning.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It was fun.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I enjoyed it, but they quickly ran out of good ideas for alternative Earths
>>>>>> because they only spent one ep on each and I got bored.
>>>>>>
>>>>> The episode I remember best is the one where he thought at first he
>>>>> had arrived 'home' but realized it was an alternate universe since
>>>>> his front gate didn't squeak and he knew he had intended to oil that
>>>>> same hinge when he got home that night.
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jack O’Neill’s pond had no fish.
>>>>
>>> *SPLISH*
>>
>> That was a turtle.
>
> Leaping into the air in the middle of the pond. o_O
>

Do you know what we’ve seen do that?

G’Ould snakes in the wild.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages