Biden

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 6:04:45 AMJan 12
Biden said "he's tired of being quiet about the filibuster." Prior to
that he was completely silent about the filibuster. I'm glad he kicked
the living shit out of Fat Boy in the election, but that doesn't
automatically make him a good politician.

moviePig

Jan 12, 2022, 10:43:47 AMJan 12
What's wrong with what he said?

chromebook test

Jan 12, 2022, 11:08:34 AMJan 12
He said he suffered from a severe stutter, just before calling Kamala, "President Harris"

TAGS: #gawdbleshuhmerka! #theofficialrecordwasalteredtocorrectthespeechimpediment

suzeeq

Jan 12, 2022, 12:03:27 PMJan 12
On 1/12/2022 8:51 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <srmck9$16j3$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
> I just don't get what the big precedent is since McConnell overrode the
> filibuster to push Trump's "Dirty Three" court nominees through.

Yeah, but he's wanting to use it when the democrat's agenda is up for a
vote.

> Why have a filibuster if one party is going to abuse it like hell when
> they're in the majority or the minority.

Politics.

chromebook test

Jan 12, 2022, 1:10:11 PMJan 12
On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 11:08:34 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 10:43:47 AM UTC-5, moviePig wrote:
> > On 1/12/2022 6:04 AM, trotsky wrote:
> > > Biden said "he's tired of being quiet about the filibuster." Prior to
> > > that he was completely silent about the filibuster. I'm glad he kicked
> > > the living shit out of Fat Boy in the election, but that doesn't
> > > automatically make him a good politician.
>

> > What's wrong with what he said?

> He said he suffered from a severe stutter, just before calling Kamala, "President Harris"

> TAGS: #theofficialrecordwasalteredtocorrectthespeechimpediment

I used to stutter really badly. And stuttering is the only thing everybody can still laugh like hell at, but it’s devastating to a stutterer. But, all kidding aside, of course, President Harris, who’s a proud Howard alum, she might have something to say about Delaware State.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/12/17/remarks-by-president-biden-at-south-carolina-state-universitys-2021-fall-commencement-ceremony/

Last week, President Harris and I stood in the United States Capitol to observe one of those “before and after” moments in American history
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/01/11/remarks-by-president-biden-on-protecting-the-right-to-vote/

anim8rfsk

Jan 12, 2022, 1:16:47 PMJan 12
chromebook test <chromiu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 11:08:34 AM UTC-5, chromebook test wrote:
>>

>>> What's wrong with what he said?
>

>> He said he suffered from a severe stutter, just before calling Kamala, "President Harris"
>

>> TAGS: #theofficialrecordwasalteredtocorrectthespeechimpediment
>

> I used to stutter really badly. And stuttering is the only thing
> everybody can still laugh like hell at,

Nah. Famed animator Chuck Jones was taking flack for porky pig being a
stutter 30 or 40 years ago. He points out that Porky technically doesn’t
stutter, he’s just searching for the right word.

but it’s devastating to a stutterer. But, all kidding aside, of course,
President Harris, who’s a proud Howard alum, she might have something to
say about Delaware State.
> https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2021/12/17/remarks-by-president-biden-at-south-carolina-state-universitys-2021-fall-commencement-ceremony/
>

> Last week, President Harris and I stood in the United States Capitol to
> observe one of those “before and after” moments in American history
> https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/speeches-remarks/2022/01/11/remarks-by-president-biden-on-protecting-the-right-to-vote/

BTR1701

Jan 12, 2022, 2:47:27 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <srmck9$16j3$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
> wrote:
>
> I just don't get what the big precedent is since McConnell overrode the
> filibuster to push Trump's "Dirty Three" court nominees through.
>
> Why have a filibuster if one party is going to abuse it like hell when
> they're in the majority or the minority.

You can thank Democrat Harry Reid for that. He was the one who killed the
filibuster for judicial nominees. He was warned at the time that there
would come a day when Democrats would rue his actions but he didn't listen.

You reap what you sow.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 12, 2022, 3:25:04 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
Nonsense.

In the 1970s, they created a rule of written notice of intent to
filibuster. You no longer have to speak on the floor. Filibuster became
far more widely used after that.

moviePig

Jan 12, 2022, 3:25:49 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
On 1/12/2022 1:16 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> chromebook test <chromiu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> He said he suffered from a severe stutter, just before calling Kamala, "President Harris"
>>

>>> TAGS: #theofficialrecordwasalteredtocorrectthespeechimpediment
>>

>> I used to stutter really badly. And stuttering is the only thing
>> everybody can still laugh like hell at,
>
> Nah. Famed animator Chuck Jones was taking flack for porky pig being a
> stutter 30 or 40 years ago. He points out that Porky technically doesn’t
> stutter, he’s just searching for the right word.

That's a f-f-fine distinction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4

moviePig

Jan 12, 2022, 3:28:06 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
No, escalation is a matter of *two* sewer... er... sowers.

RichA

Jan 12, 2022, 4:30:04 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
Biden is a senile puppet.

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 5:32:33 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
Well that's actually a good question. Pretty much everything that gets flat
from Biden at least by the Democrats, the Republicans don't count, is stuff
that might have been reasonable at one time and is no longer valid. Thus is
adherence to the filibuster initially until he finally got a clue that he
shouldn't adhere to it anymore. Now him getting a clue is a good sign but
him adhering to b******* that's no longer valid isn't. So I hope that
answers your question.
--
---

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 5:36:15 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
On 1/12/22 1:47 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
You can thank Democrat Harry Reid for that. He was the one who killed the
filibuster for judicial nominees. He was warned at the time that there
would come a day when Democrats would rue his actions but he didn't listen.

You reap what you sow.

We killed the filibuster for judicial nominees because Republicans are
wasting f****** time on appointing judges to Federal courts. However
because he's smart he left the supreme Court alone, but we all know Mitch
McConnell f*** that and you're either lying or you're just too f******
stupid to know the truth. I don't care which one you're just an a******
either way.

--
---

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 5:38:14 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
Irony alert!!!!
---

The Horny Goat

Jan 12, 2022, 6:32:12 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:25:00 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>You can thank Democrat Harry Reid for that. He was the one who killed the
>>filibuster for judicial nominees. He was warned at the time that there
>>would come a day when Democrats would rue his actions but he didn't listen.
>
>>You reap what you sow.
>
>Nonsense.
>
>In the 1970s, they created a rule of written notice of intent to
>filibuster. You no longer have to speak on the floor. Filibuster became
>far more widely used after that.

Why should you be allowed to 'filibuster' if you don't actually speak
- which by any definition of 'filibuster' I've seen necessarily
involves speaking?

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 6:46:39 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
On 1/12/2022 10:51 AM, super70s wrote:
> In article <srmck9$16j3$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
> wrote:
>
> I just don't get what the big precedent is since McConnell overrode the
> filibuster to push Trump's "Dirty Three" court nominees through.
>
> Why have a filibuster if one party is going to abuse it like hell when
> they're in the majority or the minority.

I don't disagree, but why didn't Biden think that way in the first place?

trotsky

Jan 12, 2022, 6:47:23 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
A perversion of our democracy isn't "politics" nimrod.

anim8rfsk

Jan 12, 2022, 7:49:26 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
Yeah that’s a rare example of Porky actually stuttering and it probably
wasn’t done by Chuck. Chuck’s point was that his Porky switches words. For
instance, he’d say F - F - F - F - movie pig.

I’m not sure how much of a glint in his eye Mr. Jones had when he came up
with this excuse. Or if what he describes Porky doing and switching out
words isn’t a stutter. But I bow to no man in my admiration for Chuck Jones
so I’m letting him get away with it.

shawn

Jan 12, 2022, 10:43:35 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:32:05 -0800, The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca>
wrote:
Agreed. I always thought that was a horrible change that was bound to
lead to abuse of the filibuster since it costs nothing to write a

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 12, 2022, 10:59:38 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>Wed, 12 Jan 2022 20:25:00 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>:

>>>You can thank Democrat Harry Reid for that. He was the one who killed the
>>>filibuster for judicial nominees. He was warned at the time that there
>>>would come a day when Democrats would rue his actions but he didn't listen.

>>>You reap what you sow.

>>Nonsense.

>>In the 1970s, they created a rule of written notice of intent to
>>filibuster. You no longer have to speak on the floor. Filibuster became
>>far more widely used after that.

>Why should you be allowed to 'filibuster' if you don't actually speak
>- which by any definition of 'filibuster' I've seen necessarily
>involves speaking?

Because Senators are so very old. They were doing them a favor, and
ignored the unintended consequence of making it so effortless that
everybody does it on every controversial piece of legislation.

At the same time, there was another rule change that allowed the Senate
to consider multiple Main Motions at the same time so that a filibuster
notice no longer disrupts all Senate proceedings.

It ended up that 60 of 100 votes were needed to pass most legislation.

moviePig

Jan 12, 2022, 11:26:09 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
The guy to ask would be Mel Blanc, anyway...

BTR1701

Jan 12, 2022, 11:54:22 PM (13 days ago) Jan 12
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <LaKdnU0JuZrbrUL8...@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>>> I just don't get what the big precedent is since McConnell overrode the
>>> filibuster to push Trump's "Dirty Three" court nominees through.
>>>
>>> Why have a filibuster if one party is going to abuse it like hell when
>>> they're in the majority or the minority.
>>
>> You can thank Democrat Harry Reid for that. He was the one who killed the
>> filibuster for judicial nominees.
>
> Reid ended the practice of the filibuster for Cabinet and judicial
> nominees with the exception of Supreme Court picks. This was after
> Republicans refused to approve any of Obama's judicial nominees.
>
> McConnell then used a simple majority to push through Trump's Supreme
> Court picks.
>
> Are we all up to speed now?

When Republicans tried to end the filibuster:

CHUCK SCHUMER: The bottom line is very simple. The ideologues in the Senate
want to turn what the Founding Fathers called "the cooling saucer of
democracy" into the rubber stamp of dictatorship. We will not let them.
They want-- because they can't get their way on every judge-- to change the
rules in midstream, to wash away 200 years of history. They want to make
this country into a banana republic, where if you don't get your way, you
change the rules. Are we going to let them? It'll be a doomsday for
democracy if we do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3n_KBWqEo8

Now the same guy who said the above is calling the "cooling saucer of
democracy"-- which he was more than happy to use when his party was in the
minority-- a racist relic of Jim Crow. Weird how it only suddenly became
racist when it started stymying Democrats instead of Republicans.

Also:

BERNIE SANDERS (2019): No, I'm not crazy about getting rid of the
filibuster.

BERNIE SANDERS (2021): At the end of the day, we have to end the
filibuster. It is just unfair and undemocratic for a minority of the Senate
to prevent what the majority want in this country.

Weird how it wasn't unfair and undemocratic when Democrats were in the
minority and the filibuster was useful for stopping Republican initiatives.
It only became unfair and undemocratic the moment it got in the way of the
Democrat agenda.

BTR1701

Jan 13, 2022, 2:21:48 AM (13 days ago) Jan 13
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <VvKdncBP-PPoLUL8...@giganews.com>,
> An old clip you dug up from Chuck Schumer doesn't change the facts as I
> presented them.

But it sure does point a neon-red arrow at the Democrats' hypocrisy on this
issue.

Especially how they've suddenly discovered that the filibuster is racist
and a 'Jim Crow relic' on top of everything else.

moviePig

Jan 13, 2022, 10:32:44 AM (13 days ago) Jan 13
Yeah, if there's anything that one party is free of, it's 'hypocrisy'...

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2022, 11:57:16 AM (13 days ago) Jan 13
>An old clip you dug up from Chuck Schumer doesn't change the facts as I
>presented them.

Why can't both of you accept that the other is correct? Schumer opposed
a rules change when Democrats were in the minority. Democrats in the
majority implemented a rules change when they thought it would benefit
them. Republicans did the same when they thought it would benefit them.

Which party isn't hypocritical on the filibuster?

>It was McConnell who first used the nuclear option for Supreme Court
>nominees.

Yes.

>Republicans had no good reason to block many of Obama's judicial
>nominees other than sheer partisanship and obstruction.

They thought it would be to their political benefit. It's not
obstructionism. It's checks and balances. You may wish to consult the
constitution and learn what's in it.

>McConnell said early on his goal was to do everything possible to make
>Obama a "one-term president" and Harry Reid called his bluff.

Politics is hardball. Remind me again why no nuclear waste is stored at
Yucca Mountain, which would have been an ideal facility.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2022, 12:43:48 PM (13 days ago) Jan 13
BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>. . .

>Especially how they've suddenly discovered that the filibuster is racist
>and a 'Jim Crow relic' on top of everything else.

Whom are you quoting?

Bonk

Aaron Burr, Democratic-Republican (Jefferson's party that became the
Democratic Party), addressed the Senate rule of "previous question"
as redundant motion. John Quincy Adams, former Federalist (Hamilton's party,
which went out of business after Burr killed Hamilton in a duel),
introduced the Senate rules change. Everyone was influenced by Burr's
speech and eliminating "previous question" wasn't controversial.

The Senate allowed unlimited debate because the Roman Senate had allowed
unlimited debate. Burr failed to understand the implications not having
a privileged motion to cut off debate, so we got the filibuster.

The point being that unlimited debate in the Senate without a way to end
debate was supported by both parties.

"Jim Crow" legislation is a reference to counter-Reconstruction.
Reconstruction occurred after the Civil War, and counter-Reconstruction
opposed Reconstruction.

Again, these are basic facts of American history that one learned as a
kid, although I don't think we had a great deal of discussion of how the
filibuster originated.

suzeeq

Jan 13, 2022, 1:03:37 PM (13 days ago) Jan 13
I think the filibuster was brought up in my HS civics class. We had a
very good teacher.

The Horny Goat

Jan 13, 2022, 1:34:02 PM (13 days ago) Jan 13
On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 22:43:29 -0500, shawn
<nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

>>>In the 1970s, they created a rule of written notice of intent to
>>>filibuster. You no longer have to speak on the floor. Filibuster became
>>>far more widely used after that.
>>
>>Why should you be allowed to 'filibuster' if you don't actually speak
>>- which by any definition of 'filibuster' I've seen necessarily
>>involves speaking?
>
>Agreed. I always thought that was a horrible change that was bound to
>lead to abuse of the filibuster since it costs nothing to write a
>notice of intent to filibuster.

While this may be apocryphal, it was said that 100 years ago
congress-critters engaging in filibuster would wear diapers to allow
them to continue longer.

The Horny Goat

Jan 13, 2022, 1:37:23 PM (13 days ago) Jan 13
On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 23:26:02 -0500, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:

>> Yeah that’s a rare example of Porky actually stuttering and it probably
>> wasn’t done by Chuck. Chuck’s point was that his Porky switches words. For
>> instance, he’d say F - F - F - F - movie pig.
>>
>> I’m not sure how much of a glint in his eye Mr. Jones had when he came up
>> with this excuse. Or if what he describes Porky doing and switching out
>> words isn’t a stutter. But I bow to no man in my admiration for Chuck Jones
>> so I’m letting him get away with it.
>
>The guy to ask would be Mel Blanc, anyway...

For sure - he did 90% of the Warner Bros cartoon voices.

One of my best days ever driving to work was when CBC radio played an
interview with Blanc where he did MOST of those voices during the
course of the interview freely moving back and forth to entertain the
audience.

BTR1701

Jan 13, 2022, 2:50:56 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Especially how they've suddenly discovered that the filibuster is racist
>> and a 'Jim Crow relic' on top of everything else.
>
> Whom are you quoting?

HAKEEM JEFFERIES (D-NY): We must pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act,
including eliminating a filibuster rule that is dripping in racist history
in defense of slavery and Jim Crow.

BTR1701

Jan 13, 2022, 2:50:56 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
SENATOR JOE BIDEN: Make no mistake... the proposal to kill the filibuster
is ultimately an example of the arrogance of power. It is a fundamental and
unconscionable power grab by the majority party. Ending the filibuster is a
very dangerous thing to do because it's been used by progressives our
entire time to ensure we don't get rolled over by a tyranny of the
majority.

More CHUCK SCHUMER: We are on the precipice of a crisis. A constitutional
crisis. The checks and balances that have been at the core of this republic
are about to be evaporated. The checks and balances which say that if you
get 51% if the vote, you don't get your way 100% of the time. It is
amazing, it's almost a temper tantrum, by those on the right. They want
their way every single time. And they will change the rules, break the
rules, and misread the Constitution so that they will get their way.

Chuck Schumer should meet Chuck Schumer.

moviePig

Jan 13, 2022, 3:27:53 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
Assuming the first quote is actually also Schumer... the thing is, much
of his argument is correct, in both instances. It's... what's the
word... complicated.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 13, 2022, 4:32:13 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
>BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>"Jim Crow" obviously hits a raw nerve with Republicans and their current
>voter suppression shenanigans.

Sigh

You were doing so well in this thread, making genuine points. Mr.
Jefferies ignored the actual history of the filibuster when he wrote
those remarks. If you insist that the filibuster originated during the
Jim Crow era even though I've already explained how it began elsewhere
in the thread, then you're just resorting to lying because you utterly
lack a point to make.

A Friend

Jan 13, 2022, 4:51:25 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
In article <68s0ugt0r43q0bkv7...@4ax.com>, The Horny Goat
Mel was in a coma once, following a car accident, and he wasn't
expected to recover. The doctors and nurses drew him back by asking to
speak to Porky and Bugs and so on, and Mel would respond in their
voices.

trotsky

Jan 13, 2022, 5:37:17 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
Complete the lie: tell the group you've never changed your mind.
Fucking pansy.

trotsky

Jan 13, 2022, 5:38:57 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
On 1/13/2022 1:50 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
Always nice to hear from the urine drinking party.

trotsky

Jan 13, 2022, 5:53:31 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
Right wing dipthongs don't do complicated.

trotsky

Jan 13, 2022, 5:55:19 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
On 1/13/2022 2:58 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <TrmdnbeTdt0FH338...@giganews.com>,
> "Jim Crow" obviously hits a raw nerve with Republicans and their current
> voter suppression shenanigans.

Facts hit a raw nerve with Republicons.

BTR1701

Jan 13, 2022, 7:52:41 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <TrmdnbeTdt0FH338...@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
> "Jim Crow" obviously hits a raw nerve with Republicans and their current
> voter suppression shenanigans.

So you keep only saying.

BTR1701

Jan 13, 2022, 7:52:42 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
I literally provided a YouTube link of him saying those exact words. I'm
not going to hold your hand any further.

> the thing is, much of his argument is correct, in both instances. It's... what's the
> word... complicated.

Sure. It's so complicated that it's only a constitutional crisis to get rid
of the filibuster when it hurts Democrats. When it hurts Republicans? Oh,
then it's not a crisis at all. Then it's the only way to save democracy.
And tyrannies of the majority are a-okay, just so long as it's Democrats in
the majority. As for checks and balances? We only need those when
Republicans are in power. Democrats' hearts are with the angels so there's
no need to check or balance them.

Yep, real complicated indeed.

moviePig

Jan 13, 2022, 10:47:49 PM (12 days ago) Jan 13
I didn't use the link (or the hand-warmer). I just assumed you were
actually quoting Schumer rather than "Senator Joe Biden" like you said.

>> the thing is, much of his argument is correct, in both instances. It's... what's the
>> word... complicated.
>
> Sure. It's so complicated that it's only a constitutional crisis to get rid
> of the filibuster when it hurts Democrats. When it hurts Republicans? Oh,
> then it's not a crisis at all. Then it's the only way to save democracy.
> And tyrannies of the majority are a-okay, just so long as it's Democrats in
> the majority. As for checks and balances? We only need those when
> Republicans are in power. Democrats' hearts are with the angels so there's
> no need to check or balance them.
>
> Yep, real complicated indeed.

What's complicated, afaics, is that the filibuster concept has both
strong positives and strong negatives, depending on which scenarios one
hypothesizes. It's not unexpected to find that any politician will
freely propound whichever scenario benefits him most at the moment.

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 12:16:01 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
So that means we believe Constitutional Crisis Schumer or Save Democracy
Schumer?

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 2:27:03 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Not much of a rebuttal. You got the "butt" part right, of course.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 2:28:59 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Agreed. Republicans are shit.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 2:37:38 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Are you saying you need to be told what to believe? Methinks you're
lying as usual. Fucking dirtbag.

The Horny Goat

Jan 14, 2022, 9:59:54 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:58:10 -0600, super70s
<supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>> HAKEEM JEFFERIES (D-NY): We must pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act,
>> including eliminating a filibuster rule that is dripping in racist history
>> in defense of slavery and Jim Crow.
>
>"Jim Crow" obviously hits a raw nerve with Republicans and their current
>voter suppression shenanigans.

So what is this based on? That 19th and early 20th century legislation
was passed by filibuster or is there something else?

Because while I don't LIKE filibuster as a tactic, that's not based on
the goodness or otherwise of legislation passed by it.

Using filibuster to pass the "Give every kid in America free candy for
a year Act" doesn't make it good public policy or the "Let's build
50000 nukes Act" make it a bad one.

I've never heard of Jeffries before - is he associated with AOC's
tribe? (I'm assuming giving complete lack of logic + D-NY there's a
good chance of that)

The Horny Goat

Jan 14, 2022, 10:01:27 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 16:51:20 -0500, A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

>Mel was in a coma once, following a car accident, and he wasn't
>expected to recover. The doctors and nurses drew him back by asking to
>speak to Porky and Bugs and so on, and Mel would respond in their
>voices.

Wow - I never heard of cartoons having a therapeutic effect other than
brightening the lives of grievously wounded children in pediatric
wards.

Great story - thanks for sharing it

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 10:19:53 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
It means we may want to turn our attention to what sort of filibuster
rules we *should* have, if any. Belief in a Schumer is optional...

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 10:35:19 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
But according to Joe, changing the filibuster is an arrogant exercise of
power and an attempt to impose a tyranny of the majority. Schumer wants to
impose what he once once said was a rubber stamp of dictatorship on us. Is
that not true? If not, did Joe and Chuck lie to us?

If everything they said about the filibuster before can be dismissed as
'just politics', why should we believe everything they're saying about it
now isn't just more of the same?

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 11:34:23 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Like I said, 'belief' is optional. (Name any politician you believe.)
But if you're up to it, like I also said, figure out which of Schumer's
arguments you (dis)agree with. That'll be more constructive...

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 12:13:34 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Something else I don't understand... if the filibuster is a racist tool of
Jim Crow, wouldn't that mean Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden, and all the other
Democrats who have made extensive use of it in the past are racists?

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 14, 2022, 12:14:52 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
The Horny Goat <lcr...@home.ca> wrote:
>Thu, 13 Jan 2022 14:58:10 -0600, super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid>:

>>>HAKEEM JEFFERIES (D-NY): We must pass the John Lewis Voting Rights Act,
>>>including eliminating a filibuster rule that is dripping in racist history
>>>in defense of slavery and Jim Crow.

>>"Jim Crow" obviously hits a raw nerve with Republicans and their current
>>voter suppression shenanigans.

>So what is this based on? That 19th and early 20th century legislation
>was passed by filibuster or is there something else?

Filibuster is used to prevent a simple majority from passing a bill.
It cannot be used to enact legislation.

The Senate allows unlimited debate; always has. The House doesn't.

>. . .

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 1:03:45 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Using the filibuster to strangle black-voter rights is somewhat closer
to the Jim Crow revival they actually alleged, I imagine...

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 2:34:31 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
That might be true if black voter rights were actually being strangled.

Fun fact the media won't tell you: Chuck Schumer's state of New York has
more restrictive voting laws than the 'racist' Georgia law he says heralds
the death of democracy.

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 3:43:56 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Oddly enough, the allegation's validity is actually independent of that.
The point is that those are (largely) the voters one side thinks it's
suppressing, and that the other side thinks it's shielding. And even
then, it's not necessarily a "racial" motive ...as the rule-of-thumb,
afaik, is than Cons vote more "assertively", so their party benefits
from voter-impediments in general.

> Fun fact the media won't tell you: Chuck Schumer's state of New York has
> more restrictive voting laws than the 'racist' Georgia law he says heralds
> the death of democracy.

Sorry, I'm too inured to political hypocrisy to muster indignant
outrage. Maybe even to politics.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 5:15:25 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Name them, liar. Be as specific as possible.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 5:19:03 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
On 1/14/2022 1:34 PM, BTR1701 wrote:

> Fun fact the media won't tell you: Chuck Schumer's state of New York has
> more restrictive voting laws than the 'racist' Georgia law he says heralds
> the death of democracy.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/13/1026588142/map-see-which-states-have-restricted-voter-access-and-which-states-have-expanded

Proof that you're a fucking liar. Go ahead, anonyshit, piss and moan
about NPR you filthy fucking weasel.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 7:20:51 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
On 1/14/2022 5:57 PM, super70s wrote:
> In article <IKidnSac58mzBXz8...@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> But according to Joe, changing the filibuster is an arrogant exercise of
>> power and an attempt to impose a tyranny of the majority. Schumer wants to
>> impose what he once once said was a rubber stamp of dictatorship on us. Is
>> that not true? If not, did Joe and Chuck lie to us?
>
> They changed their mind, so what. I hope you don't mean to imply only
> Democrats do that and Republicans never "evolve" on an issue.

I think what he means is Republicans say one thing and are too fucking
stupid to think of anything else.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 7:52:37 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Cite?

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 8:21:44 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <IKidnSac58mzBXz8...@giganews.com>,
> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> But according to Joe, changing the filibuster is an arrogant exercise of
>> power and an attempt to impose a tyranny of the majority. Schumer wants to
>> impose what he once once said was a rubber stamp of dictatorship on us. Is
>> that not true? If not, did Joe and Chuck lie to us?
>
> They changed their mind, so what.

LOL! Going from 'rubber stamp of dictatorship' to 'saving democracy itself'
is a helluva mind change.

Those must be some amazing drugs they're on.

And even more stunning is how Democrats all suddenly had this epiphanal
change of mind all at the same time.

Just incredible, that coincidence!

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 10:24:40 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
You can't seriously be arguing that *Dems* are the lock-step party...

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 11:01:05 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
I'm not arguing that seriously or otherwise. I'm just noting how much of a
fantastic coincidence it is that this alleged mind change came with the
synchronicity of a Rockette high-kick line.

BTR1701

Jan 15, 2022, 4:11:45 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:
> In article <ZZOdnRIgY9ECvH_8...@giganews.com>,
> All the readers got the fact that Republicans are patent hypocrites when
> it comes to "flip-flopping" even if you did snip that part of my post.
>
> Remember when "flip-flopping" was used as a political cudgel and some
> kind of mortal sin against Al Gore over 20 years ago? They wouldn't dare
> do that now with the likes of Kevin McCarthy, Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham,
> Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, etc, ect.

Or Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, and Bernie
Sanders.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 6:34:32 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15
He can't seriously say anything, he sucked up to right wing white
supremacist ideology. You seem intelligent, but you treat these
anonyshits and sockpuppets like they have a scintilla of credibility,
which they don't. Trying to have a dialogue is one thing, but showing
them any credence is really really a waste of time. They're pond scum.

trotsky

Jan 15, 2022, 6:35:49 AM (11 days ago) Jan 15