[OT] EU Rules To Force USB-C Chargers For All Phones

Ed Stasiak

Sep 23, 2021, 8:07:41 PM9/23/21
I’m on my second iPhone (an iPhone 7 with the last one being a 6)
and both of course use Apples “Lightning” charger cord tab and
it’s a straight-up piece of shit design.

The iPhone 6 eventually refused to take a charge and I’m guessing
it’s because the port on the phone, made of paper thin aluminum,
got distorted and bent out of shape over time from being plugged
and unplugged a bazillion times and now my iPhone 7 is doing the
same thing.

I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.

The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.

(link includes pics of various charger types)
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58665809

EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones

Manufacturers will be forced to create a universal charging solution for phones and small electronic devices, under a new rule proposed by the European Commission (EC).

The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing chargers when buying a new device.

All smartphones sold in the EU must have USB-C chargers, the proposal said.

Apple has warned such a move would harm innovation.

The tech giant is the main manufacturer of smartphones using a custom charging port, as its iPhone series uses an Apple-made "Lightning" connector.

"We remain concerned that strict regulation mandating just one type of connector stifles innovation rather than encouraging it, which in turn will harm consumers in Europe and around the world," the firm told the BBC.

It added that it aims to make every Apple device and usage carbon neutral by 2030.

Most Android phones come with USB micro-B charging ports, or have already moved to the more modern USB-C standard.

New models of the iPad and MacBook use USB-C charging ports, as do high-end phone models from popular Android manufacturers such as Samsung and Huawei.

The changes would apply to the charging port on the device body, whereas the end of the cable connecting to a plug could be USB-C or USB-A.

Around half of chargers sold with mobile phones in the European Union in 2018 had a USB micro-B connector, while 29% had a USB C connector and 21% a Lightning connector, a Commission impact assessment study in 2019 found.

The proposed rules will apply to:
smartphones
tablets
cameras
headphones
portable speakers
handheld video game consoles

Other products including earbuds, smart-watches and fitness trackers were not considered for technical reasons linked to size and use conditions.

The proposal also standardises fast charging speeds - meaning devices capable of fast charging will be charged at the same speeds.

Preventing waste

EU politicians have been campaigning for a common standard for over a decade, with the Commission's research estimating that disposed of and unused charging cables generate more than 11,000 tonnes of waste per year.

In the European Union, around 420 million mobile phones and other portable electronic devices were sold in the last year.

The average person owns around three mobile phone chargers, of which they use two regularly.

In 2009, there were more than 30 different chargers, whereas now most models stick to three - the USB-C, Lightning and USB micro-B.

"Having one common charging standard would be a victory for common sense in the eyes of consumers," Ben Wood, an analyst at CCS Insight said.

"Although Apple has made a strong argument for keeping its Lightning connector, given the one billion active iPhone users, some of its products including Mac and iPad now support USB-C.

"Hopefully it will eventually become a non-issue if Apple keeps adding USB-C to more devices."
It may be a number of years before the proposals come into effect.

The legislative proposal, known as a Directive, will be debated by the European Parliament and national governments.

MEPs and member states may suggest amendments to the proposal. Only once the EC has agreed these amendments, will the directive be enacted.

The EC hopes that will happen in 2022 - after which member states usually have two years to enact the rules into national law, and manufacturers will have 24 months to change their charging ports.

"We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions," Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said.

chromebook test

Sep 23, 2021, 9:35:25 PM9/23/21
On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 8:07:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> I’m on my second iPhone (an iPhone 7 with the last one being a 6)
> and both of course use Apples “Lightning” charger cord tab and
> it’s a straight-up piece of shit design.
>
> The iPhone 6 eventually refused to take a charge and I’m guessing
> it’s because the port on the phone, made of paper thin aluminum,
> got distorted and bent out of shape over time from being plugged
> and unplugged a bazillion times and now my iPhone 7 is doing the
> same thing.
>
> I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
> properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
> charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
> while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.
>
> The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
> not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.

I like USB-C. It permits fast charging across different manufacturer's devices with one charger. As an example, one 65 watt USB-C charger can power up the LG 10" tablet, the 14" Lenovo Chromebook, the Windows 10 Xidu Laptop and the Pixel 3 smartphone. Instead of 4 wall wart adapters, I only need one to take care of them all. The Lenovo has an USB-C port on both sides and can be charged from either port.

In addition to USB-C charging, the port has the ability to pass through power while using a hub for Ethernet, sd card, USB-A ports and HDMI.

IOW using a hub connected to the USB-C, I can charge the device while reading a SD-card and an USB flash drive while porting the video from the device to a large HDMI monitor, AT THE SAME TIME.

The USB-C is a power port and a data port concurrently.

Amazing tech, and never have to worry about inserting USB-C in the wrong way and breaking the device port.

(USB-C tech varies, some earlier versions didn't do the HDMI, I have a Lenovo 10" tablet that doesn't)

RichA

Sep 23, 2021, 10:08:05 PM9/23/21
On Thursday, 23 September 2021 at 20:07:41 UTC-4, Ed Stasiak wrote:

> "We gave industry plenty of time to come up with their own solutions, now time is ripe for legislative action for a common charger. This is an important win for our consumers and environment and in line with our green and digital ambitions," Commission Vice President Margrethe Vestager said.

When asked if it will stifle innovation, the EU mandarin responded, "What's innovation?"

chromebook test

Sep 23, 2021, 10:08:57 PM9/23/21
2 notes not related:

The 4th gen Google Chromecast with Google TV has a USB-C as it's only port. Its the newest Chromecast that comes with the color matching remote control. I picked up 2 of the THIRD GEN Chromecasts (no separate remote control) last week at auction for 5 bucks each. A good deal and loads of fun, but uses the old USB-A micro port, for charging. Still a good deal.

Also picked up an Acer 15" Chromebook with 4GB ran and 64 GB SSD drive off Craigslist (used). Use in the kitchen like a mini streaming TV when making coffee or a sandwich or using the treadmill. But again, uses a proprietary charging port and without any USB-C at all. Still, I can live with it, paid $10 and and very satisfied, but still, a USB-C would have been icing on the cake.

So much tech fun, so little time to play with it all!

Your Name

Sep 23, 2021, 11:05:15 PM9/23/21
On 2021-09-24 01:35:21 +0000, chromebook test said:

> I like USB-C. It permits fast charging across different manufacturer's
> devices with one charger.

Technially yes, but in reality chargers can be very different. A lower
power charger will can cause slower device charging, while a higher
power charger can actually damage to the device.

It's always best to use the charger that actually came with the device
... or in the of case Apple and Samsung these days, the charger you
have to pay extra for to buy from the greedy manufacturer under the
mistaken guise of "Environmental Friendliness"! :-(

> As an example, one 65 watt USB-C charger can power up the LG 10"
> tablet, the 14" Lenovo Chromebook, the Windows 10 Xidu Laptop and the
> Pixel 3 smartphone. Instead of 4 wall wart adapters, I only need one to
> take care of them all. The Lenovo has an USB-C port on both sides and
> can be charged from either port.
>
> In addition to USB-C charging, the port has the ability to pass through
> power while using a hub for Ethernet, sd card, USB-A ports and HDMI.
> IOW using a hub connected to the USB-C, I can charge the device while
> reading a SD-card and an USB flash drive while porting the video from
> the device to a large HDMI monitor, AT THE SAME TIME.
>
> The USB-C is a power port and a data port concurrently.
>
> Amazing tech, and never have to worry about inserting USB-C in the
> wrong way and breaking the device port.
>

> (USB-C tech varies, some earlier versions didn't do the HDMI, I have a
> Lenovo 10" tablet that doesn't)

Like all other varities of ports, "USB-C" is a rather meaningless
catch-all phrase for variously numbered sub-versions. Although the
ports and plugs are the same, and are meant to backwards compatible, it
depends on the actual abilities / functions of the devices on either
side of the plug and port (for example, a USB-C 3.1 device may not work
at all with a USB-C 3.0 device, and less often vice versa).

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 4:05:28 AM9/24/21
Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m on my second iPhone (an iPhone 7 with the last one being a 6)
> and both of course use Apples “Lightning” charger cord tab and
> it’s a straight-up piece of shit design.
>
> The iPhone 6 eventually refused to take a charge and I’m guessing
> it’s because the port on the phone, made of paper thin aluminum,
> got distorted and bent out of shape over time from being plugged
> and unplugged a bazillion times and now my iPhone 7 is doing the
> same thing.
>
> I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
> properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
> charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
> while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.
>
> The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
> not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.

Did you take it to a repair shop? I had the same problem on my iPhone 6
Plus and I took it in and they said there was just all kind of dirt way
down in there that civilians couldn’t clean out and they did and it went
back to working fine.

> (link includes pics of various charger types)
> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58665809
>
> EU rules to force USB-C chargers for all phones
>
> Manufacturers will be forced to create a universal charging solution for
> phones and small electronic devices, under a new rule proposed by the
> European Commission (EC).
>
> The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing
> chargers when buying a new device.

In an extremely dickhead move, Apple already forces that when you buy the
wireless charger. It doesn’t come with anything to plug it into. They say
they assume everybody that got the iPhone 12 came from an earlier model
iPhone but not too much earlier so we all had USB-C chargers laying around.
Idiots.

moviePig

Sep 24, 2021, 10:54:03 AM9/24/21
On 9/23/2021 8:07 PM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> I’m on my second iPhone (an iPhone 7 with the last one being a 6)
> and both of course use Apples “Lightning” charger cord tab and
> it’s a straight-up piece of shit design.
>
> The iPhone 6 eventually refused to take a charge and I’m guessing
> it’s because the port on the phone, made of paper thin aluminum,
> got distorted and bent out of shape over time from being plugged
> and unplugged a bazillion times and now my iPhone 7 is doing the
> same thing.
>
> I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
> properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
> charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
> while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.
>
> The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
> not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.
>
> (link includes pics of various charger types)
> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58665809
When it's time to stick it to you, Apple's got your back...

chromebook test

Sep 24, 2021, 12:31:59 PM9/24/21
> When it's time to stick it to you, Apple's got your back...

What is USB-C? One cable for data, video and power
https://www.pocket-lint.com/gadgets/news/130338-what-is-usb-c

----------

mime owns LG, Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer, Samsung, ZTE, Alcatel, Verizon, Motorola, Xidu, TCL and Google devices, but no Apple...for a reason

Your Name

Sep 24, 2021, 6:05:02 PM9/24/21
The problem is that Tim Cook has little interest in actually running a
computer company. He's far more interest in being an environmental and
political activist, and keeps dragging Apple into all this "Politically
Correct" garbage.

Now that Apple no longer includes a charger in the box, the others (as
usual) are copying them - the two-faced hypocrites at Samsung even
initially mocked Apple for not including a charger and yet are now
doing the exact same thing.

It has very little to do with environmental altruism, and more to do
with jumping on the latest badnwagon fad and a "look at us, aren't we
good" advertising appeal to the "Politcial Correct" nutters, while also
giving the company more profit by selling the device at the same price
but with less in the box, and forcing customers to buy the charger at
an extra cost. (No doubt whichever manager came up with the idiotic
idea has already received an massive bonus payment.)

It's certainly not the first time companies have removed features /
services while still charging the same price, and it won't be the last
either. :-(
(In fact one of the first modern examples is likely the removal of an
actual printed user manual from boxes of electronic equipment years
ago, which again was likely initiated by Apple.)

Ed Stasiak

Sep 24, 2021, 7:01:24 PM9/24/21
> anim8rfsk
> > Ed Stasiak
> >
> > I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
> > properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
> > charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
> > while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.
> >
> > The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
> > not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.
>
> Did you take it to a repair shop? I had the same problem on my iPhone 6
> Plus and I took it in and they said there was just all kind of dirt way
> down in there that civilians couldn’t clean out and they did and it went
> back to working fine.

I dunno… why I didn’t think of just getting some canned air and blowing
out the charger port…

https://i.postimg.cc/3x8sDSVd/dumbass.jpg
https://ibb.co/ZWds9WP

> > The aim is to reduce waste by encouraging consumers to re-use existing
> > chargers when buying a new device.
> >
> In an extremely dickhead move, Apple already forces that when you buy the
> wireless charger. It doesn’t come with anything to plug it into. They say
> they assume everybody that got the iPhone 12 came from an earlier model
> iPhone but not too much earlier so we all had USB-C chargers laying around.
> Idiots.

The USB-C looks to be much better then the shitty Apple "Lighting" plug,
as it's got a tab inside the port that the plug sockets over so the plug end
is held both on the inside and outside and it appears to have some tabs
that solidly "click" the plug into the port.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/USB_Type-C_plug_20170626_crop.jpg

Rhino

Sep 24, 2021, 9:48:53 PM9/24/21
I have a USB-C on my Android phone and the charging port has somehow
retreated into the phone by a few millimeters. Initially, I could still
charge the phone by literally holding the charging cable firmly (and
then very firmly) against the charging port, then even that stopped
working. I'm going to see if that is reparable in the near future. If
it's not, I'm going to be very frustrated.

I have no idea why this problem arose but it is very aggravating.

Bottom line: USB-C is not a panacea for charging issues.

--
Rhino

chromebook test

Sep 24, 2021, 10:05:24 PM9/24/21
Your invoice is in the mail:

How to retrofit your smartphone with Qi wireless charging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2cqoCD7iQc

> Rhino

chromebook test

Oct 8, 2021, 11:07:28 PM10/8/21
On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 9:35:25 PM UTC-4, chromebook test wrote:
> On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 8:07:41 PM UTC-4, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> > I’m on my second iPhone (an iPhone 7 with the last one being a 6)
> > and both of course use Apples “Lightning” charger cord tab and
> > it’s a straight-up piece of shit design.
> >
> > The iPhone 6 eventually refused to take a charge and I’m guessing
> > it’s because the port on the phone, made of paper thin aluminum,
> > got distorted and bent out of shape over time from being plugged
> > and unplugged a bazillion times and now my iPhone 7 is doing the
> > same thing.
> >
> > I have to plug/unplug the damn phone half a dozen times before it
> > properly connects and takes a charge and only then if I twist the
> > charger cord a couple of turns to put some tension on the plug
> > while its in the port, while leaning the phone part way on a book.
> >
> > The fucking charger wire tab ought to solidly LOCK into the port,
> > not just kinda halfassedly slide in. Fuck you, Apple.

> I like USB-C.

> In addition to USB-C charging, the port has the ability to pass through power while using a hub for Ethernet, sd card, USB-A ports and HDMI.

> IOW using a hub connected to the USB-C, I can charge the device while reading a SD-card and an USB flash drive while porting the video from the device to a large HDMI monitor, AT THE SAME TIME.

Power, display, ethernet, mouse, keyboard... single USB-C cable
https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/q2l9hu/power_display_ethernet_mouse_keyboard_single_usbc/