Well Played: Man Uses 3D Printer to Earn $21K at New York Gun 'Buyback'

BTR1701

Oct 5, 2022, 12:09:02 AM10/5/22
A man named "Kem" reportedly used a 3D printer to manufacture "firearms" to
turn in at a Utica, NY gun buyback. New York Attorney General Letitia James
wanted "unwanted" guns and paid up to $250 each for the guns

What Letitia James no doubt planned on was buying plastic blasters. Mr. Kem
printed and gave them 110 "unwanted" firearms and they gave him 42 $500 gift
cards for a total of $21,000. That’s a good day’s work, if ATF doesn’t crack
down on Mr. Kem for unlawful manufacture of firearms.

It’s not the first instance of a brave individual printing guns on their 3D
printer and turning them in at a "buybacks". In Houston, the government
changed the rules after one man nicked them $3,100. But this one, at $21,000,
seems to set a new standard and sets a high bar for others to surpass.

As Kem told WKTV...

"I 3D-printed a bunch of lower receivers and frames for different kinds of
firearms," said Kem. Then, he drove six hours to Utica. "And (the AG's guy)
sees the tote and says, 'How many firearms do you have?' And I said, 'One
hundred and ten,'" said Kem.

That's when the organizers of the "buyback" realized they hadn’t thought the
whole thing through. This began a haggling and negotiating session with
Attorney General’s Office staff that lasted all day long. "And it ended with
the guy and a lady from the budget office finally coming around with the 42
gift cards and counting them in front of me," said Kem. "$21,000 in $500 gift
cards."

Amen, brother. A rousing success indeed. Yet strangely, the Attorney General's
office didn’t include the 3D "ghost guns" in the promotional photos of the
day's haul.

In the WKTV interview, Kem said that it "was the greatest thing that Letitia
James could have done. She literally put a bounty on 3-D printed guns. She
said, 'I will give you extra money if it doesn’t have a serial number on
it.'"

Preach it!

Asked where he got the idea, he told the local media outlet he saw people on
Twitter talking about using 3D printers to make big bucks by printing guns for
buyback programs.

Perhaps he was referring to the story of a man who recently turned in 62
3D-printed guns at Houston's buyback program and collected $3,100.

Kem provided a master's thesis on gaming the gun buyback scheme. Look for them
to make changes in the rules for their future "successes". Meanwhile, the New
York AG was not amused.

"It's shameful that this individual exploited a program that has successfully
taken thousands of guns off the streets to protect our communities from gun
violence. We have partnered with local police throughout the state to recover
more than 3,500 guns, and one individual's greedy behavior won't tarnish our
work to promote public safety. We have adjusted our policies to ensure that no
one can exploit this program again for personal gain."

At the Guns Save Life organization in Illinois, we've collected our fair share
from Windy City taxpayers over the years. However, the best we ever did was
about $6240 using real, albeit mostly non-functional junk turned in at a
Murder City "buyback" in 2012. The ensuing international publicity proved
such a black eye for the City of Chicago that they ended the program for about
three years. And then when they brought it back, they held it at just one or
two locations.

Using creativity and their own "gun buyback" rules against them-- Alinsky
style-- to gig them for $21,000 is truly epic trolling.

Well done, Kem. Well done.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/well-played-man-uses-300-3d-printer-to-earn-21000-at-new-york-gun-buyback/

RichA

Oct 5, 2022, 12:30:28 AM10/5/22
should have a pictures of them wearing dunce caps.

anim8rfsk

Oct 5, 2022, 12:42:53 AM10/5/22
So they screwed him out of $6500. He should sue!

Also, gift cards to where? If, for instance, they’re for someplace like
Chick-fil-A, they screwed him even worse. (“Good Sundays only”)

And is there tax on this? Those 87,000 new IRS agents need to be doing some
thing.

> Amen, brother. A rousing success indeed. Yet strangely, the Attorney General's
office didn’t include the 3D "ghost guns" in the promotional photos of the
day's haul.

> In the WKTV interview, Kem said that it "was the greatest thing that Letitia
James could have done. She literally put a bounty on 3-D printed guns. She
said, 'I will give you extra money if it doesn’t have a serial number on
it.'"

> Preach it!
>
> Asked where he got the idea, he told the local media outlet he saw people on
Twitter talking about using 3D printers to make big bucks by printing guns
for
buyback programs.

> Perhaps he was referring to the story of a man who recently turned in 62
3D-printed guns at Houston's buyback program and collected $3,100.

I have grave doubts he turned a profit there.

shawn

Oct 5, 2022, 12:47:43 AM10/5/22
On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 04:08:51 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>A man named "Kem" reportedly used a 3D printer to manufacture "firearms" to
>turn in at a Utica, NY gun buyback. New York Attorney General Letitia James
>wanted "unwanted" guns and paid up to $250 each for the guns
>
>What Letitia James no doubt planned on was buying plastic blasters. Mr. Kem
>printed and gave them 110 "unwanted" firearms and they gave him 42 $500 gift
>cards for a total of $21,000. That’s a good day’s work, if ATF doesn’t crack
>down on Mr. Kem for unlawful manufacture of firearms.

If he didn't include the firing mechanism is there really anything for
the ATF to do?

>It’s not the first instance of a brave individual printing guns on their 3D
>printer and turning them in at a "buybacks". In Houston, the government
>changed the rules after one man nicked them $3,100. But this one, at $21,000,
>seems to set a new standard and sets a high bar for others to surpass.
>
>As Kem told WKTV...
>
>"I 3D-printed a bunch of lower receivers and frames for different kinds of
>firearms," said Kem. Then, he drove six hours to Utica. "And (the AG's guy)
>sees the tote and says, 'How many firearms do you have?' And I said, 'One
>hundred and ten,'" said Kem.

Ah, so it seems like he didn't include the firing mechanism. Now
there's a reasonable question of whether they should have bought the
guns if they can't be fired but that onus is on them.

>That's when the organizers of the "buyback" realized they hadn’t thought the
>whole thing through. This began a haggling and negotiating session with
>Attorney General’s Office staff that lasted all day long. "And it ended with
>the guy and a lady from the budget office finally coming around with the 42
>gift cards and counting them in front of me," said Kem. "$21,000 in $500 gift
>cards."

I do wonder how much it cost him to print out that many pieces of
firearms.
So it seems all of these programs are buying back guns that can't be
fired. I get they don't want to test fire the weapons but shouldn't
they at least do a cursory examination to see if the gun might be able
to be fired before buying it back?

BTR1701

Oct 5, 2022, 1:12:39 AM10/5/22
In article <3r2qjhd48ks9htfdn...@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 04:08:51 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > A man named "Kem" reportedly used a 3D printer to manufacture "firearms"
> > to turn in at a Utica, NY gun buyback. New York Attorney General Letitia
> > James wanted "unwanted" guns and paid up to $250 each for the guns
> >
> > What Letitia James no doubt planned on was buying plastic blasters. Mr.
> > Kem printed and gave them 110 "unwanted" firearms and they gave him 42
> > $500 gift cards for a total of $21,000. That’s a good day's work, if ATF
> > doesn't crack down on Mr. Kem for unlawful manufacture of firearms.
>
> If he didn't include the firing mechanism is there really anything for
> the ATF to do?

Plus, these things are promised to be "no questions asked" (which is why
more than one 'buyback' has resulted in a murderer disposing of the
murder weapon by turning it in for an Applebee's card), so they couldn't
ask for his ID or anything to give to the ATF if they come calling.

> > It's not the first instance of a brave individual printing guns on their 3D
> > printer and turning them in at a "buybacks". In Houston, the government
> > changed the rules after one man nicked them $3,100. But this one, at
> > $21,000, seems to set a new standard and sets a high bar for others to
> > surpass.
> >
> > As Kem told WKTV...
> >
> > "I 3D-printed a bunch of lower receivers and frames for different kinds of
> > firearms," said Kem. Then, he drove six hours to Utica. "And (the AG's guy)
> > sees the tote and says, 'How many firearms do you have?' And I said, 'One
> > hundred and ten,'" said Kem.
>
> Ah, so it seems like he didn't include the firing mechanism. Now
> there's a reasonable question of whether they should have bought the
> guns if they can't be fired but that onus is on them.

'Firearm' is defined by law and 'can be fired' is not a requirement.
How much work would it take to make a non-functional gun functional
again?

And if it's not a defense to a gun possession charge that it's
non-functional, they shouldn't be able to deny you a Best Buy gift card
on that basis.

shawn

Oct 5, 2022, 1:51:32 AM10/5/22
So if the firearm is missing the firing mechanism and has the barrel
plugged up with molten metal it still counts as a firearm and would be
illegal for a felon to possess?
Depends upon what was done to it. Wasn't one of the original reasons
that 3D printing of weapons was allowed was because they weren't
printing firing mechanism so it wasn't counted as firearm? That's
what I recall being the case when the idea of 3D printing weapons
first came up.

RichA

Oct 5, 2022, 2:04:49 AM10/5/22
the metal in the barrel would most likely be lead or antimony which can be melted with a propane torch out of the barrel, leaving the steel barrel intact. it can even be done with aluminum which has a considerably higher melting point, but less than steel.

Your Name

Oct 5, 2022, 2:31:36 AM10/5/22
> [...]
> throughout the state to recover more than 3,500 guns, and one individual's
> greedy behavior won't tarnish our work to promote public safety. We have
> adjusted our policies to ensure that no one can exploit this program
> again for personal gain."
>
> At the Guns Save Life organization in Illinois, we've collected our fair
> share from Windy City taxpayers over the years. However, the best we ever
> did was about $6240 using real, albeit mostly non-functional junk turned
> in at a Murder City "buyback" in 2012. The ensuing international publicity
> proved such a black eye for the City of Chicago that they ended the program
> for about three years. And then when they brought it back, they held it
> at just one or two locations.
>
> Using creativity and their own "gun buyback" rules against them-- Alinsky
> style-- to gig them for $21,000 is truly epic trolling.

Here's another similar scammer (for Americans, "football" here means
"soccer") ...

In the 1980s a Brazilian footballer named Carlos Kaiser
staged his whole 24-year football career and managed to
sign contracts for multiple teams without playing even
one regular game. He did so by faking injuries and being
mates with sports journalists. He could barely kick a
ball. One time he almost had to play and was worried he
would be exposed, so before the game he started a fight
with a fan and as a result got sent off with a red card
before the game even started. After the match, Kaiser
lied to bosses that the supporters were calling him a
thief and he was forgiven and earned a six-month contract
extension.

There's even a documentary (in Portuguese and English) about him:

Kaiser! The Greatest Footballer Never to Play Football
<https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6823890/>

trotsky

Oct 5, 2022, 6:46:09 AM10/5/22
On 10/4/2022 11:08 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> A man named "Kem" reportedly used a 3D printer to manufacture "firearms" to
> turn in at a Utica, NY gun buyback. New York Attorney General Letitia James
> wanted "unwanted" guns and paid up to $250 each for the guns

More shitposting. Lies and scams are that interest right wing assholes.

trotsky

Oct 5, 2022, 6:58:58 AM10/5/22
Where's the definition you lying shitbag motherfucker?

trotsky

Oct 5, 2022, 7:19:53 AM10/5/22
3D printers use metal? That sounds totally wrong.

A Friend

Oct 5, 2022, 10:06:25 AM10/5/22
In article <thjp8i$13kq$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, trotsky <gms...@email.com>
wrote:

> On 10/5/2022 1:04 AM, RichA wrote:

"Theoretically, any metal can be used for 3D printing if it is
available as a suitable powder."

https://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/faqs/what-is-3d-printing/
can-3d-printing-use-metal

Ubiquitous

Oct 5, 2022, 1:01:57 PM10/5/22
atr...@mac.com wrote:

>A man named "Kem" reportedly used a 3D printer to manufacture "firearms" to
>turn in at a Utica, NY gun buyback. New York Attorney General Letitia James
>wanted "unwanted" guns and paid up to $250 each for the guns

Ha-HA! (a la Nelson)

>What Letitia James no doubt planned on was buying plastic blasters. Mr. Kem
>printed and gave them 110 "unwanted" firearms and they gave him 42 $500 gift
>cards for a total of $21,000. That's a good day's work, if ATF doesn't crack
>down on Mr. Kem for unlawful manufacture of firearms.

How much profit did he make? I always thought 3-D printer "ink" was very
very expensive.

--
Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous

Oct 5, 2022, 1:04:20 PM10/5/22
nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>So it seems all of these programs are buying back guns that can't be
>fired. I get they don't want to test fire the weapons but shouldn't
>they at least do a cursory examination to see if the gun might be able
>to be fired before buying it back?

I suspect these people are like Alex Baldwin and don't have a clue about
how to check, but since this is only a PR move, they want to look successful.

Ubiquitous

Oct 5, 2022, 1:06:26 PM10/5/22
Shitposting noted. Get back to us when you have a real argument to make.

BTR1701

Oct 5, 2022, 1:11:15 PM10/5/22
On Oct 4, 2022 at 10:51:27 PM PDT, "shawn" <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:
This is what the ATF defines as a 'firearm' (and yes, you can be arrested and
charged with illegal possession of a firearm for just having this and nothing
more in your possession):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcwlq6nylt66yer/Lower.png?dl=0

I think we'd both agree that what you see in that picture can't be fired.

The ATF also wants to classify computer CAD files that can be used to 3D-print
guns as 'firearms', so you could be charged with illegal possession of a
firearm just for having certain code on your computer, or even just pieces of
paper if you've printed the code out onto them. I'm pretty sure you can't fire
a bullet at someone with computer code or a sheet of paper.
It's 'allowed' because gunsmithing has been a legal and valid occupation and
hobby going all the back to the Revolutionary War.

You're allowed to make your own guns-- with the exception of certain
prohibited items like machine guns and silencers-- without restriction. So
long as you're not a convicted felon or someone else legally prohibited from
possessing firearms, there's nothing illegal about making your own guns,
regardless of whether they're 3D-printed or made the old fashioned way.

Pluted Pup

Oct 5, 2022, 3:40:53 PM10/5/22
> > > How much work would it take to make a non-functional gun functional
> > > again?
> >
> > Depends upon what was done to it. Wasn't one of the original reasons
> > that 3D printing of weapons was allowed was because they weren't
> > printing firing mechanism so it wasn't counted as firearm?
>
> It's 'allowed' because gunsmithing has been a legal and valid occupation and
> hobby going all the back to the Revolutionary War.
>
> You're allowed to make your own guns-- with the exception of certain
> prohibited items like machine guns and silencers-- without restriction. So
> long as you're not a convicted felon or someone else legally prohibited from
> possessing firearms, there's nothing illegal about making your own guns,
> regardless of whether they're 3D-printed or made the old fashioned way.

I've always heard that guns required serial numbers
and this is both state and federal law.

Monopoly journalism loves to mislead on the subject
and I've interpreted their "ghost gun" term to mean
a gun that's had it's serial number removed, not a gun
that's created from scratch (like a zip gun). It this
anaccurate assumption?

Pluted Pup

Oct 5, 2022, 3:49:20 PM10/5/22
On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 10:04:11 -0700, Ubiquitous wrote
(in article<B56dncSjG_SWJKD-...@giganews.com>):
It's symbolism, a symbolic action, a symbolic victory.
In that sense gun buyback programs are a fantastic
success, borne of progressive minds that astound the
worldwith the grandeur of their ideology.

BTR1701

Oct 5, 2022, 4:19:08 PM10/5/22
In article <0001HW.28EE153B0...@news.giganews.com>,
Pluted Pup <plut...@outlook.com> wrote:

> > > Depends upon what was done to it. Wasn't one of the original reasons
> > > that 3D printing of weapons was allowed was because they weren't
> > > printing firing mechanism so it wasn't counted as firearm?
> >
> > It's 'allowed' because gunsmithing has been a legal and valid occupation
> > and hobby going all the back to the Revolutionary War.
> >
> > You're allowed to make your own guns-- with the exception of certain
> > prohibited items like machine guns and silencers-- without restriction.
> > So long as you're not a convicted felon or someone else legally prohibited
> > from possessing firearms, there's nothing illegal about making your own
> > guns, regardless of whether they're 3D-printed or made the old fashioned
> > way.
>
> I've always heard that guns required serial numbers
> and this is both state and federal law.

So long as they're not being made for commercial resale, no serials are
required.

> Monopoly journalism loves to mislead on the subject
> and I've interpreted their "ghost gun" term to mean
> a gun that's had it's serial number removed, not a gun
> that's created from scratch (like a zip gun). It this
> anaccurate assumption?

No, they're using it as a catch-all term for both types of guns. Just
like they insist on using the meaningless invented term "assault rifle"
to refer to anything that looks scary and they think should be banned.

Ubiquitous

Oct 5, 2022, 4:32:12 PM10/5/22
plut...@outlook.com wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Oct 2022 10:04:11 -0700, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com wrote:

>>> So it seems all of these programs are buying back guns that can't be
>>> fired. I get they don't want to test fire the weapons but shouldn't
>>> they at least do a cursory examination to see if the gun might be able
>>> to be fired before buying it back?
>>
>> I suspect these people are like Alex Baldwin and don't have a clue about
>> how to check, but since this is only a PR move, they want to look
>> successful.
>
>It's symbolism, a symbolic action, a symbolic victory.
>In that sense gun buyback programs are a fantastic
>success, borne of progressive minds that astound the
>worldwith the grandeur of their ideology.

I recall someone got a statician or something mathy to do the calculus
on gun buybacks. If memory serves, if they spent a few billion dollars,
the number of guns would drop by a few percentage points.

Ed Stasiak

Oct 5, 2022, 4:55:17 PM10/5/22
> BTR1701
>
> You're allowed to make your own guns-- with the exception of certain
> prohibited items like machine guns and silencers-- without restriction. So
> long as you're not a convicted felon or someone else legally prohibited from
> possessing firearms, there's nothing illegal about making your own guns,
> regardless of whether they're 3D-printed or made the old fashioned way.

You can't make the receiver of a rifle/shotgun or the frame of a handgun
without a firearm manufacturer license from the ATF, as that component
alone is legally the "firearm" per ATF regulations.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing

So I'm guessing what this 3D printer guy did, was make fake non-functional
"guns" that are essentially toys which look and feel like the real thing and
with the “no questions asked” policy of the gun buy-back program, he got
the dumbass anti-gun fundies to hand him $21K in gift cards.

Hopefully he used some of those gift cards to buy actual real guns.

Pluted Pup

Oct 5, 2022, 7:07:53 PM10/5/22

> > Monopoly journalism loves to mislead on the subject
> > and I've interpreted their "ghost gun" term to mean
> > a gun that's had it's serial number removed, not a gun
> > that's created from scratch (like a zip gun). It this
> > anaccurate assumption?
>
> No, they're using it as a catch-all term for both types of guns. Just
> like they insist on using the meaningless invented term "assault rifle"
> to refer to anything that looks scary and they think should be banned.

That's incredibly misleading! A zip gun made with
plastic is not the same thing as a gun with the
serial number removed. My local newspaper uses the
term "ghost guns seized" without any description
of what is actually seized.

This is in league with similar news statements like "it
is illegal for an ex-felon to carry a concealed pistol
in California", to imply there are less gun control laws
than there are.

(ps: I don't know yet whether my damned newsreader will
delete a space and jumble my words together again.)

BTR1701

Oct 5, 2022, 7:15:25 PM10/5/22
On Oct 5, 2022 at 1:55:14 PM PDT, "Ed Stasiak" <edstas...@gmail.com>
wrote:
A license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However,
a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. The
law prohibits a person from assembling a non–sporting semiautomatic rifle or
shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as well as firearms that cannot be
detected by metal detectors or x–ray machines. In addition, the making of an
NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o), (p) and (r); 26 U.S.C. 5822; 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and
479.105]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-individual-need-license-make-firearm-personal-use

The ATF has actually gone out of its way in several determination letters to
specify that unserialized, privately-made firearms are lawful for unlicensed
individuals to create, possess, and even to sell under some circumstances. The
regulations apply only to commercial sales by those "engaged in the business"
of selling firearms.

anim8rfsk

Oct 5, 2022, 7:24:07 PM10/5/22
The ink comes in a lot of different flavors. If he actually made these out
of metal he lost his shirt. If he made these out of the cheapest plastic
you could get he still spent a lot of money and time even if they’re just
basically toys.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

BTR1701

Oct 6, 2022, 8:09:43 PM10/6/22
wrote:

>> BTR1701
>>
>> You're allowed to make your own guns-- with the exception of certain
>> prohibited items like machine guns and silencers-- without restriction. So
>> long as you're not a convicted felon or someone else legally prohibited
>> from
>> possessing firearms, there's nothing illegal about making your own guns,
>> regardless of whether they're 3D-printed or made the old fashioned way.
>
> You can't make the receiver of a rifle/shotgun or the frame of a handgun
> without a firearm manufacturer license from the ATF, as that component
> alone is legally the "firearm" per ATF regulations.
>
> https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing

ATF has even gone out of its way in multiple determination letters to specify
that un-serialized, privately made firearms are lawful for unlicensed
individuals to create, possess and even to sell under some circumstances. The
new regulations apply only to commercial sales by those "engaged in the
business" of selling firearms.

Ubiquitous

Oct 7, 2022, 8:01:14 AM10/7/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> How much profit did he make? I always thought 3-D printer "ink" was very
>> very expensive.
>
>The ink comes in a lot of different flavors. If he actually made these out
>of metal he lost his shirt. If he made these out of the cheapest plastic
>you could get he still spent a lot of money and time even if they're just
>basically toys.

They have metallic ink for 3D printers?
I did not know that!

anim8rfsk

Oct 7, 2022, 11:40:03 AM10/7/22
Yeah. For the home models it’s mostly metal powder carried in a suspension
of the usual gunk you print with. Much better stuff is available at
professional service bureaus that you can actually drill and tap and use as
a final product.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Ubiquitous

Oct 7, 2022, 8:27:41 PM10/7/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net wrote:

>>> The ink comes in a lot of different flavors. If he actually made these
>>> out of metal he lost his shirt. If he made these out of the cheapest
>>> plastic you could get he still spent a lot of money and time even if
>>> they're just basically toys.
>>
>> They have metallic ink for 3D printers?
>> I did not know that!
>
>Yeah. For the home models it's mostly metal powder carried in a suspension
>of the usual gunk you print with. Much better stuff is available at
>professional service bureaus that you can actually drill and tap and use as
>a final product.

Ah, I thought you meant it was metal, not metal flakes in the ink.

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 2:26:42 AM10/8/22
The consumer stuff is mostly to just make it look cool and the detail you
can get is way lower than the regular plastic.