What Did You Watch? 2019-07-19 (Friday)

Ubiquitous

Jul 20, 2019, 8:33:07 AM7/20/19
I watched:

THE HILLS: NEW BEGININGS:
"Not To Eavesdrop, But To Eavesdrop". Audrina confronts Justin after
he denies kissing her. Brody laments the state of relations with his
estranged father and one-time best friend, Spencer. As they struggle
to grow their business, Spencer and Heidi's relationship is put to
the test. Not nearly as interesting as the original ahow, but wow,
Bruce Jenner was asshole for naming himself after his son's girlfriend
(now wife) and dropping out of his son's life!

CHIPS:
"Dynamite Alley". An exhausted Bonnie wrecks her police car avoiding a
truck but the lack of evidence indicates she was hallucinating. At the
end, it turns out that's what happened but they seemed to gloss over
the repurcusions of her actions and Ponch and Jon harassing the
suspect.

DIFF'RENT STROKES:
"Retrospective". In this one hour clip show, the Drummonds spend
Christmas reminiscing about humorous incidents from earlier that
season. Kinda funny how they were able to summarize entire eps in a few
minutes...

MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES:
"The Bucket List". Mike has a No. 1 item on his bucket list.

MIKE TYSON MYSTERIES:
"The Missing Package". Sometimes it's not as easy as ordering online.

TOUR DE FRANCE:
Stage 13.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"George's First Vacation". George takes his first vacation.

THE JEFFERSONS:
"Louise's Daughter". A stranger claims to be Louise's daughter.

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"Lifeforce". Humanoid bodies are brought back to Earth after being
salvaged from a ship whose crew is found dead. The humanoids are
revealed to be predatory alien vampires and the ship's only survivor
may hold the key to stopping them.

What did you watch?

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 11:40:22 AM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.

The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
better than the first one.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 20, 2019, 12:27:34 PM7/20/19
On 7/20/2019 8:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
>
> The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> better than the first one.

Have you seen the trailer for Top Gun 2 yet? Cruise just keeps cranking
them out.

This will be a two day catch up. I watched:

Agents of SHIELD - "Leap" - We finally sort of get some answers (and I
think a retcon maybe). I guess it was an OK episode.

Queen of the South - "Amores perros" - I like how the DVR description
says, "On her day off" like drug queens take vacations or something.
Anyway, "on her day off" a hit man tries to kill Teresa. Meanwhile her
godson learns to shoot and figures the man who killed his father would
make good target practice. I actually didn't remember this plot point
about Teressa's trusty bodyguard killing the kid's father. I wonder if
Teressa knows that or not.

Elementary - "On the Scent" - I didn't give it my full attention. But
it looks like Watson popped up on the wrong people's radar.

The InBetween - I think this might have already been covered.
Regardless, it was 100% pure background noise.

The Hummingbird Project (Netflix rental) Jesse Eisenberg and Alexander
Skarsgard star as two business trying to develop a high speed
fiber-optic cable straight from New York to Kansas which will allow them
to manipulate the stock market by making trades a few milliseconds
before others. Hings get complicate when their former boss (Salma
hayek) catches on to their scheme since it was her scheme first. I was
looking forward to this based on the plot/trailer but the actually movie
was very underwhelming.

The Lion King (theatrical) - "Live" action remake of the classic Disney
original. It's practically a shot for shot remake. If you like the
original, you'll like this one too. There were a couple of differences.
One change I didn't like was what they did to "Be Prepared" by
changing it around and making it less of a song and more of a speech.
But the rest of the songs, are left intact and song properly. A change
I did like was there were several times when if you've watched the movie
before you know what's going to happen. Except when it didn't happen,
the character would almost break the 4th wall and comment on it. They
never actually broke the 4th wall, but they sure did bang up against it
several times. Anyway, I really liked those "Deadpool" style 4th wall
breaking scenes.

Robin Hood - I forgot to mention this from the other day. I *tried* to
watch the new Taron Egerton Robin Hood flick. Based on the trailers and
the reviews I knew it was bad, but bad doesn't even begin to explain
just how awful this was. I made it through about 5 minutes, maybe 10
before I couldn't take it anymore and turned it off. There were so many
warning signs about how bad it was going to be right from the start. It
starts off with Egerton doing this annoying voice over, which for the
entire time I watched he never stopped saying, "forget what you think
you know" over and over and over again. The first thing that happens in
the movie is we're introduced to Egerton's Robin Hood as he's being
robbed by a masked woman. Before you can say I bet that woman is going
to turn out to be Maid Marian, he asks her name and she says Marian.
You don't have to be psychic to know what's going to happen in this
flick. And for a movie that keeps saying forget what you think you
know, that sure was obvious! Anyway, the next thing is Robin gets
drafted and sent off to fight a war in the middle east. Now this is
mid-evil times, yet he's wearing what you could swear was 21st century
military body armor. They should have been fighting with swords, except
they were using bows and arrows, and it was filmed to look like fighting
in fallujah with machine guns. That's when I bailed.

Let me see if I can find a clip of this mess...
Found it! This is where I bailed on the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRwpDhhHvA

Ian J. Ball

Jul 20, 2019, 12:54:01 PM7/20/19
On 2019-07-20 15:40:19 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
>
> The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> better than the first one.

No, it's not. But it's *definitely* better than the second one, which
is the worst of the lot! :|

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 1:08:20 PM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:53:57 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-07-20 15:40:19 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
> >
> > The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> > Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> > better than the first one.
>
> No, it's not. But it's *definitely* better than the second one, which
> is the worst of the lot! :|

I'm not sure I've seen the second, but I refuse to believe it's worst than
the first, where Peter Graves' character had been working for the other side
all this time.

Ian J. Ball

Jul 20, 2019, 1:37:21 PM7/20/19
On 2019-07-20 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> What did you watch?

Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
This was a terrible pilot. What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots
are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
"friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
on.
I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
*won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
"Better than 'The Outpost'"?! My ass!

soaps: DOOL - Kristen as Susan persistently sexually assaults Brady -
scenes like this are supposed to be "funny", I think, but I never find
stuff like this funny. :/ Gabi steals Xander's briefcase, but fails
to get inside (to find the "Nicole" mask!) - I think at the end, Brady
(of all people!) was in possession of the briefcase.
GH - More Shiloh drama!1! after he makes bail, thanks to his waiting
sucker, Daisy - later, he confronts "Harmony" in prison, but I was glad
to see her stand her ground. Jordan insists upon visiting EVOL!!1! Ryan
in prison, and this goes exactly like you expect it would. NuNina
apologizes to cutie-pie Willow, but then Chase breaks the bad news to
Willow that Shiloh is out on bail. There's a weird flashback scene at
the end where it's revealed that Shiloh wasn't really with Drew in
Afghanistan - he was with Jason-as-"Drew"!!

The Outpost (recorded) - "This Is One Strange Town" (ep. #2.2). I
didn't despise this episode as much as Fred did, but I agree that it
wasn't good.
First things first - they've added two new people to the main cast
as of this episode: Aaron Fontaine as Tobin, the boorish nobleman who
shows up with his army after Gwynn's plea for help (everyone else
turned her down in favor of the Prime Order...), and long-time actress
Glynis Barber as Gertrusha, who I think is Tobin's mother(?), and
definitely appears to be The Mistress's sister!
The good news is that Jake Stormoen is still credited, and Marshal
Wythers fails to find Garret's body. (The only thing I can think of is
that Stormoen got another acting gig simultaneous to season #2 of "The
Outpost", so they let him off the show for a while to go film that, and
he'll be back later...)
The main problem with this episode was less the "tone", and more
than very little was accomplished - this was pure wheel-spinning/set-up
episode. In the next episode, Talon will finally square off with the
EVOL!!1! Blackblood bitch, and hopefully she'll get the seer girl back.

The Wrong Mommy (LMN) - I'll bet dollars to donuts that this was
originally titled "The Wrong Assistant", because "The Wrong Mommy"
actually makes no sense for a title of this one!!
Aside from that, this was fine - Ashlynn Yennie makes a decent
psycho villain, and Jessica Morris makes for fully-believeable hapless
victim. The part I didn't like was no one believing Morris' character,
aside from the other assistants in her office.

Guidance (recorded off TeenNick) - I tried to watch ep. #1.3 of this
one, "The Suspects", but my recording cut off before the end of the
episode. So now I'm going to try to record the Sunday night reairings
of this show...

Recorded for later: Killjoys(!!).

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 2:04:43 PM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:37:18 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-07-20 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
> This was a terrible pilot.

Wow, you liked it a *lot* more than I did.

> What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
> of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots

I knew less than I did when it began

> are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
> revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
> "friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
> absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
> on.
> I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
> this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
> competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
> *won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
> "Better than 'The Outpost'"?! My ass!

Your ass may be better than Pandora, but it's not better than The Outpost.

> The Outpost (recorded) - "This Is One Strange Town" (ep. #2.2). I
> didn't despise this episode as much as Fred did, but I agree that it
> wasn't good.

Nope

> First things first - they've added two new people to the main cast
> as of this episode: Aaron Fontaine as Tobin, the boorish nobleman who
> shows up with his army after Gwynn's plea for help (everyone else
> turned her down in favor of the Prime Order...), and long-time actress
> Glynis Barber as Gertrusha, who I think is Tobin's mother(?), and
> definitely appears to be The Mistress's sister!

Sister, yes, mother, I dunno

> The good news is that Jake Stormoen is still credited, and Marshal
> Wythers fails to find Garret's body. (The only thing I can think of is
> that Stormoen got another acting gig simultaneous to season #2 of "The
> Outpost", so they let him off the show for a while to go film that, and
> he'll be back later...)

And they shot his death at a different time, which is why he had no scenes
with other regulars (well, hot feral girl, but I couldn't tell if she was
even in the same scene at the same time)

> The main problem with this episode was less the "tone", and more
> than very little was accomplished - this was pure wheel-spinning/set-up
> episode. In the next episode, Talon will finally square off with the
> EVOL!!1! Blackblood bitch, and hopefully she'll get the seer girl back.

So is Talon being a half blood a retcon?

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 2:15:00 PM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:27:29 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> On 7/20/2019 8:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
> >
> > The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> > Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> > better than the first one.
>
> Have you seen the trailer for Top Gun 2 yet? Cruise just keeps cranking
> them out.
>
> This will be a two day catch up. I watched:
>
> Agents of SHIELD - "Leap" - We finally sort of get some answers (and I
> think a retcon maybe). I guess it was an OK episode.

What was the retcon?

> Elementary - "On the Scent" - I didn't give it my full attention. But
> it looks like Watson popped up on the wrong people's radar.

Man, when Sherlock Holmes tells you to stay away from a case because the NSA
is handling it, you *do* just that.
At this point I'd be fine if they killed Watson and brought in Hooten's Lady
to replace her.

> Robin Hood - I forgot to mention this from the other day. I *tried* to
> watch the new Taron Egerton Robin Hood flick. Based on the trailers and
> the reviews I knew it was bad, but bad doesn't even begin to explain
> just how awful this was. I made it through about 5 minutes, maybe 10
> before I couldn't take it anymore and turned it off. There were so many
> warning signs about how bad it was going to be right from the start. It
> starts off with Egerton doing this annoying voice over, which for the
> entire time I watched he never stopped saying, "forget what you think
> you know" over and over and over again. The first thing that happens in
> the movie is we're introduced to Egerton's Robin Hood as he's being
> robbed by a masked woman. Before you can say I bet that woman is going
> to turn out to be Maid Marian, he asks her name and she says Marian.
> You don't have to be psychic to know what's going to happen in this
> flick. And for a movie that keeps saying forget what you think you
> know, that sure was obvious! Anyway, the next thing is Robin gets
> drafted and sent off to fight a war in the middle east. Now this is
> mid-evil times, yet he's wearing what you could swear was 21st century
> military body armor. They should have been fighting with swords, except
> they were using bows and arrows, and it was filmed to look like fighting
> in fallujah with machine guns. That's when I bailed.
>
> Let me see if I can find a clip of this mess...
> Found it! This is where I bailed on the movie:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTRwpDhhHvA

WTFITS?

How come in the 30s to the 50s Robin Hood flicks were easy to make straight
forward fun, and now they've been screwing them up for decades?

Ian J. Ball

Jul 20, 2019, 2:56:33 PM7/20/19
On 2019-07-20 17:37:18 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2019-07-20 08:30:41 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> [snip]
> Guidance (recorded off TeenNick) - I tried to watch ep. #1.3 of this
> one, "The Suspects", but my recording cut off before the end of the
> episode. So now I'm going to try to record the Sunday night reairings
> of this show...

Forgot one - As "Betch" was less than mediocre last night, I'll only
mention the other thing I watched:

Love Daily (TeenNick) - I didn't get these two segments. The first
starred Kelli Berglund (primarily known for "Lab Rats") as some sort of
quasi-goth girl - it was some weird female-empowerment fairy tale that
I didn't understand at all. The second one was even more oblique - Jack
Griffo stars a a teen with a "broken heart" who gets a transplant.
There was a "twist" at the end here - Meredith Foster, who you think is
the girl who broke Griffo's heart, was actually the girl the "heart
donor" was in love with?!... I dunno - it didn't make much sense to me.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 20, 2019, 3:44:13 PM7/20/19
On 7/20/2019 11:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:27:29 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> wrote:

>>> FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
>>>
>>> The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
>>> Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
>>> better than the first one.
>>
>> Have you seen the trailer for Top Gun 2 yet? Cruise just keeps cranking
>> them out.
>>
>> This will be a two day catch up. I watched:
>>
>> Agents of SHIELD - "Leap" - We finally sort of get some answers (and I
>> think a retcon maybe). I guess it was an OK episode.
>
> What was the retcon?

I really don't remember the backstory on the monolith, but during the
episode they seemed to be saying whatever they said when the episode
first aired wasn't right. Same thing with Fitz 2.0. I haven't been
following what the deal with him and the multiverse at all. But that's
not area where they seemed to be saying Fitz 1.0 said one thing and now
2.0 is contradicting it.
I would have sworn Guy Ritchie directed it. Whoever the director is, he
was sure channeling him.

> How come in the 30s to the 50s Robin Hood flicks were easy to make straight
> forward fun, and now they've been screwing them up for decades?

The 30s(?) version aired on TCM recently and I recorded it, but I ended
up deleting it unwatched.

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 4:32:27 PM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 12:44:09 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> On 7/20/2019 11:14 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:27:29 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> > wrote:

> > > Have you seen the trailer for Top Gun 2 yet? Cruise just keeps cranking
> > > them out.
> > >
> > > This will be a two day catch up. I watched:
> > >
> > > Agents of SHIELD - "Leap" - We finally sort of get some answers (and I
> > > think a retcon maybe). I guess it was an OK episode.
> >
> > What was the retcon?
>
> I really don't remember the backstory on the monolith, but during the
> episode they seemed to be saying whatever they said when the episode
> first aired wasn't right. Same thing with Fitz 2.0. I haven't been
> following what the deal with him and the multiverse at all. But that's
> not area where they seemed to be saying Fitz 1.0 said one thing and now
> 2.0 is contradicting it.

Yeah, I can't follow the Fitz either.
LOL

> > How come in the 30s to the 50s Robin Hood flicks were easy to make straight
> > forward fun, and now they've been screwing them up for decades?
>
> The 30s(?) version aired on TCM recently and I recorded it, but I ended
> up deleting it unwatched.

:(

Dimensional Traveler

Jul 20, 2019, 6:06:54 PM7/20/19
On 7/20/2019 8:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
>
> The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> better than the first one.

So it stank as bad as a rotten Fish?

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Jul 20, 2019, 6:39:17 PM7/20/19
Sat, 20 Jul 2019 15:06:54 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
wrote:

> On 7/20/2019 8:40 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Sat, 20 Jul 2019 01:30:41 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > FIRE MASTERS discussed elsewhere. Two and done.
> >
> > The Amazon PRIME recommended MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III
> > Loud and noisy and not exactly skillfully executed, but at least it was
> > better than the first one.
> So it stank as bad as a rotten Fish?

The first one stank as badly as Will Smith's wife.
This one only reeked as badly as Smith's son.

David Barnett

Jul 20, 2019, 10:09:20 PM7/20/19
In article <UBI20...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net says...
> What did you watch?

On Friday June 19, I watched

LETHAL WEAPON: Funny Money
Counterfeit money episode.
Grade B-

--
David Barnett

Jim G.

Jul 21, 2019, 8:18:54 PM7/21/19
Ubiquitous sent the following on 7/20/19 at 3:30 AM:
> What did you watch?

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 6x10 / Leap

[The party’s over, and now the team must trust each other in order to
face impending doom and an enemy that’s closer than they think.]

In yet another it-could-be-anyone-so-whom-do-we-trust episode of a
skiffy show, we learn of NotCoulson's origin story. And RAT had it
figured out, more or less. Props to Mack for quickly realizing the
importance of locking down Quake and Yo-Yo.

Random stuff:

* That was a nice long run to NotCoulson's cell, esp. since Yo-Yo could
have zipped there. But that wouldn't have left 'em five minutes or so
for exposition.
* Speaking of those S.H.I.E.L.D. hallways, earlier on Fitz and Simmons
were running and turned left, then left, then left again. Would it kill
'em to put in a single hallway to the right?
* Davis should have ditched his red shirts.
* Mack headbutts a wall twice and ends up with a scratch on his temple
because this show is really confused about basic biology.

Grade: B

KILLJOYS / 5x01 / Run, Yala, Run

[Dutch realizes The Lady has put Westerley under a collective delusion
and in a world without memory, nothing is what it seems.]

"Did you give him the Bad Customer Sugar?"

It's mass hypnosis time. Literal brainwashing. Everyone is essentially
cosplaying, but Dutch and stinky NotZeph figure it out. But Dutch can't
break the others out of the spell and now she's on the run alone. Well,
she has stinky NotZeph, but she's been shot and isn't much of an asset
at the moment.

All in all, I liked it, but I'd forgotten that the fun dialogue comes
with some juvenile dialogue intended as humor, e.g. bed-farting. I'd be
fine without that.

Grade: B

"She mustn't kill Aaron. I mean it. I hate to be strict but she really
mustn't kill anyone." -- Carolyn Martens, KILLING EVE

anim8rfsk

Jul 21, 2019, 9:56:05 PM7/21/19
Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:18:49 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Ubiquitous sent the following on 7/20/19 at 3:30 AM:
> > What did you watch?
>
> MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 6x10 / Leap
>
> [The party’s over, and now the team must trust each other in order to
> face impending doom and an enemy that’s closer than they think.]
>
> In yet another it-could-be-anyone-so-whom-do-we-trust episode of a
> skiffy show, we learn of NotCoulson's origin story. And RAT had it
> figured out, more or less. Props to Mack for quickly realizing the
> importance of locking down Quake and Yo-Yo.

Although I have no idea why anybody assumed a window would stop her.

I'd have stripped off Quake's garments to make sure she was defenseless.

> Random stuff:
>
> * That was a nice long run to NotCoulson's cell, esp. since Yo-Yo could
> have zipped there. But that wouldn't have left 'em five minutes or so
> for exposition.

Okay, Yo-Yo's powers were giving me a headache in this one. Can she just zip
from point A to point B (and couldn't she carry the recently naked Quake in
the bargain) or does she automatically return back to point A (hence the name
'Yo-Yo')? If it's the former, she gets rancid onion points for how she used
her powers in this outing.

> * Speaking of those S.H.I.E.L.D. hallways, earlier on Fitz and Simmons
> were running and turned left, then left, then left again. Would it kill
> 'em to put in a single hallway to the right?
> * Davis should have ditched his red shirts.
> * Mack headbutts a wall twice and ends up with a scratch on his temple
> because this show is really confused about basic biology.

I always did say he was hard-headed.

Hmm. Okay:

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Yo-Yo_Rodriguez
Superhuman Speed: Rodriguez gained the power to run and move at least 180
meters per second, being unable to be clearly noticed by the human eye and
appearing as a blur. Her super speed lasts exactly the same amount of time as
one of her heartbeats; after which she retrogrades back to her original
position through any route possible, which happens regardless of her state,
as she snapped back even after being affected by Lucio's paralyzing gaze.
"So you snap back to the same spot like a yo-yo." ―Alphonso Mackenzie to
Elena Rodriguez

Okay, but, assuming she's strong enough, she could have cradled the nekkid
Daisy in her cold steel arms and whisked her to the cell, leaving her
starkers next to Mac, which, no matter how hard he pounded his head, should
have woken him up.

Jim G.

Jul 21, 2019, 10:24:04 PM7/21/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 7/21/19 at 8:56 PM:
> Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:18:49 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Ubiquitous sent the following on 7/20/19 at 3:30 AM:
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 6x10 / Leap
>>
>> [The party’s over, and now the team must trust each other in order to
>> face impending doom and an enemy that’s closer than they think.]
>>
>> In yet another it-could-be-anyone-so-whom-do-we-trust episode of a
>> skiffy show, we learn of NotCoulson's origin story. And RAT had it
>> figured out, more or less. Props to Mack for quickly realizing the
>> importance of locking down Quake and Yo-Yo.
>
> Although I have no idea why anybody assumed a window would stop her.

Fair point, but he was still pretty quick to recognize the need to do
something to keep the two most powerful people in the room away from
Izel as much as possible.

> I'd have stripped off Quake's garments to make sure she was defenseless.

That's the director's cut.

>> Random stuff:
>>
>> * That was a nice long run to NotCoulson's cell, esp. since Yo-Yo could
>> have zipped there. But that wouldn't have left 'em five minutes or so
>> for exposition.
>
> Okay, Yo-Yo's powers were giving me a headache in this one. Can she just zip
> from point A to point B (and couldn't she carry the recently naked Quake in
> the bargain) or does she automatically return back to point A (hence the name
> 'Yo-Yo')? If it's the former, she gets rancid onion points for how she used
> her powers in this outing.

I'm pretty sure that it's the latter, but she can still get things done
before snapping back. And it's not as if she can't repeat the process as
many times as necessary.

>> * Speaking of those S.H.I.E.L.D. hallways, earlier on Fitz and Simmons
>> were running and turned left, then left, then left again. Would it kill
>> 'em to put in a single hallway to the right?
>> * Davis should have ditched his red shirts.
>> * Mack headbutts a wall twice and ends up with a scratch on his temple
>> because this show is really confused about basic biology.
>
> I always did say he was hard-headed.
>
> Hmm. Okay:
>
> https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fandom.com/wiki/Yo-Yo_Rodriguez
> Superhuman Speed: Rodriguez gained the power to run and move at least 180
> meters per second, being unable to be clearly noticed by the human eye and
> appearing as a blur. Her super speed lasts exactly the same amount of time as
> one of her heartbeats; after which she retrogrades back to her original
> position through any route possible, which happens regardless of her state,
> as she snapped back even after being affected by Lucio's paralyzing gaze.
> "So you snap back to the same spot like a yo-yo." ―Alphonso Mackenzie to
> Elena Rodriguez

Okay, so that heartbeat limitation is new to me. She looks healthy
enough to be in the 60 beats per minute range, meaning a beat per
second. 180m per second means 180m before snapping back, which would
surely cover any such distance there at HQ, wouldn't it?

And just thinking about it, we've seen her get a *lot* accomplished in
that "one heartbeat" time period, so it's not as if the writers here
have a history of being completely true to canon...

> Okay, but, assuming she's strong enough, she could have cradled the nekkid
> Daisy in her cold steel arms

That's the director's cut.

> and whisked her to the cell, leaving her
> starkers next to Mac,

That's the director's cut.

> which, no matter how hard he pounded his head, should
> have woken him up.

And then some.

BTR1701

Jul 21, 2019, 11:45:57 PM7/21/19
In article <0001HW.22E54F3202...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:18:49 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Ubiquitous sent the following on 7/20/19 at 3:30 AM:
> > > What did you watch?
> >
> > MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 6x10 / Leap
> >
> > [The partyユs over, and now the team must trust each other in order to
> > face impending doom and an enemy thatユs closer than they think.]
So if she zips into a room and someone manages to close the hatch in
time, she'll literally be turned to paste as her power tries to pull her back
to the starting point through a recently interposed chunk of steel?

And lately they've been playing her more like the Flash, where
she not only manages to go from A to B really quick, but she seems
to be able to stop and do complex and time-consuming tasks-- like
wrap a guy up head-to-toe in chains and lock them with padlocks--
all in the space of that heartbeat. Almost like she's in the Speed Force
or something.

Jim G.

Jul 21, 2019, 11:52:17 PM7/21/19
BTR1701 sent the following on 7/21/19 at 10:45 PM:
> In article <0001HW.22E54F3202...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:18:49 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Ubiquitous sent the following on 7/20/19 at 3:30 AM:
>>>
>>> MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. / 6x10 / Leap
>>>
>>> [The partyユs over, and now the team must trust each other in order to
>>> face impending doom and an enemy thatユs closer than they think.]
Your timing is excellent:

https://forekast.com/events/4QYDaU1AuW96bF77oSNwEFxO6dw2MeeMGOMnOtjf

anim8rfsk

Jul 22, 2019, 12:17:31 AM7/22/19
I don't understand how that works at all. What if she's rendered unconscious?
Or cleaved into separate parts?

> And lately they've been playing her more like the Flash, where
> she not only manages to go from A to B really quick, but she seems
> to be able to stop and do complex and time-consuming tasks-- like
> wrap a guy up head-to-toe in chains and lock them with padlocks--
> all in the space of that heartbeat. Almost like she's in the Speed Force
> or something.

Yeah, that's why I'd forgotten completely about the Yo-Yo effect.

If you *knew* how her powers worked, you'd start firing at where she'd been,
and she'd have no choice but to run right into your line of fire and die.

BTR1701

Jul 22, 2019, 12:54:36 AM7/22/19
In article <qh3bte$8a7$1...@dont-email.me>,
I'll never understand why you can easily find bizarre flavors like
'birthday cake' and 'peanut butter and bubblegum' but a simple blueberry
ice cream is like a frakkin' unicorn-- rumored to exist but never
actually seen.

Jim G.

Jul 22, 2019, 3:52:07 PM7/22/19
BTR1701 sent the following on 7/21/19 at 11:54 PM:
I've never seen it, but I can't say that I've ever looked very hard.
Which is sort of unusual since I do like blueberries a lot. Muffins,
pancakes, waffles, breakfast bars, yogurt...

Say, maybe the fact that blueberries get so much breakfast love means
that there's just not enough love left for when ice cream time rolls around.

anim8rfsk

Jul 22, 2019, 4:11:10 PM7/22/19
Blueberries must be seasonal. Half the time I can't find anything blueberry
inclined on the grocery store shelves. I can't understand why they don't make
up enough jam and allocate it all year 'round, but they don't.

A Friend

Jul 22, 2019, 4:44:44 PM7/22/19
In article <0001HW.22E64FDB02...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
We grow our own. Blueberries freeze very nicely. We grow plenty so
the critters can have some, too. (The birds shriek at us in outrage
when we go out to pick.)

I wonder if there's no blueberry ice cream because blueberries really
don't taste like much at ice-cream temperatures. Blueberry jam as a
topper for a good vanilla might work.

Very nice pic at the link. I had to drill down into the webpage
somewhat in order to be able to lift it. Looks like iPhone wallpaper
that's about to happen.

BTR1701

Jul 22, 2019, 9:29:18 PM7/22/19
In article <qh5454$odl$1...@dont-email.me>,
There's a place down on the Venice boardwalk that used to carry
blueberry ice cream. Every time I was down there, I'd make a point to
stop in because it's the only place I've ever seen that has it. But they
went out business, so it's back to nothing, I guess.

Jim G.

Jul 23, 2019, 9:21:19 PM7/23/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 7/22/19 at 3:11 PM:
I never think to look for them fresh in the produce section. I grab my
standard stuff -- bananas, apples, baby carrots and salad greens -- and
move on. Even when I get strawberries, I tend to think of them as a
frozen foods item for some reason.

Jim G.

Jul 23, 2019, 9:22:55 PM7/23/19
BTR1701 sent the following on 7/22/19 at 8:28 PM:
If nothing else, Baskin-Robbins has a "Blueberry Muffin" ice cream, and
I know that you have some locations out there unless they've all closed
in the past ten years or so...

David Barnett

Jul 23, 2019, 9:58:34 PM7/23/19
In article <0001HW.22E64FDB02...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim...@cox.net says...
> Blueberries must be seasonal. Half the time I can't find anything
blueberry
> inclined on the grocery store shelves. I can't understand why they don't make
> up enough jam and allocate it all year 'round, but they don't.

Lately I've been eating blueberry muffins,
tho sometimes apple with cinnamon muffins.

--
David Barnett

anim8rfsk

Jul 23, 2019, 10:34:40 PM7/23/19
Yeah, the frozen section always has bags of 'em. It's not exactly preserves
though. I wonder if the jam companies have more varieties than shelf space
and rotate flavors?

anim8rfsk

Jul 23, 2019, 10:48:55 PM7/23/19
Tue, 23 Jul 2019 18:57:35 -0700 David Barnett<dbar...@bigpond.net.au>
wrote:
God I used to love blueberry muffins ...

shawn

Jul 23, 2019, 10:59:38 PM7/23/19
On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 20:22:53 -0500, "Jim G."
<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>BTR1701 sent the following on 7/22/19 at 8:28 PM:
>> In article <qh5454$odl$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> BTR1701 sent the following on 7/21/19 at 11:54 PM:

>>> I've never seen it, but I can't say that I've ever looked very hard.
>>
>> There's a place down on the Venice boardwalk that used to carry
>> blueberry ice cream. Every time I was down there, I'd make a point to
>> stop in because it's the only place I've ever seen that has it. But they
>> went out business, so it's back to nothing, I guess.
>
>If nothing else, Baskin-Robbins has a "Blueberry Muffin" ice cream, and
>I know that you have some locations out there unless they've all closed
>in the past ten years or so...

Around this area they seem to have merged with Dunkin Donuts
locations.

Jim G.

Jul 24, 2019, 12:57:31 AM7/24/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 7/23/19 at 9:34 PM:
I get blackberry jam all of the time, but I don't recall ever seeing any
blueberry or I would have tried it at least once.

Jim G.

Jul 24, 2019, 1:02:29 AM7/24/19
shawn sent the following on 7/23/19 at 9:59 PM:
Yeah, Dunkin is the parent company to a few second-tier fast food
outlets, IIRC. I know for sure that BR was the first to implement
franchise locations before the word "franchise" was even a thing.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 1:39:16 AM7/24/19
Yes. Blackberry seems more commonly available than blueberry.
All of this is a mystery to me. You'd think the berry industry would be set
up to harvest enough to have a year round supply.

Hmm. From the Wiki:
"Blueberry bushes typically bear fruit in the middle of the growing season:
fruiting times are affected by local conditions such as altitude and latitude
, so the peak of the crop, in the northern hemisphere, can vary from May to
August."

Huh. Some are grown south of the border but 70% come from the USA and
Canadia. So 4 months a year ... I guess that's why they aren't in the market
half the time!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueberry#/media/File:BlueberryYield.png

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2019, 9:53:46 AM7/24/19
anim...@cox.net wrote:
>Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:52:02 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> BTR1701 sent the following on 7/21/19 at 11:54 PM:

>> > I'll never understand why you can easily find bizarre flavors like
>> > 'birthday cake' and 'peanut butter and bubblegum' but a simple blueberry
>> > ice cream is like a frakkin' unicorn-- rumored to exist but never
>> > actually seen.
>>
>> I've never seen it, but I can't say that I've ever looked very hard.
>> Which is sort of unusual since I do like blueberries a lot. Muffins,
>> pancakes, waffles, breakfast bars, yogurt...
>>
>> Say, maybe the fact that blueberries get so much breakfast love means
>> that there's just not enough love left for when ice cream time rolls
>> around.
>
>Blueberries must be seasonal. Half the time I can't find anything blueberry
>inclined on the grocery store shelves. I can't understand why they don't make
>up enough jam and allocate it all year 'round, but they don't.

I do not remember ever seeing blueberries and their products missing.
I guess I'll have to remember to pay more attention.

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2019, 9:56:21 AM7/24/19
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> David Barnett<dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>> anim...@cox.net says...

>>> Blueberries must be seasonal. Half the time I can't find anything
>>> blueberry inclined on the grocery store shelves. I can't understand
>>> why they don't make up enough jam and allocate it all year 'round,
>>> but they don't.
>>
>> Lately I've been eating blueberry muffins,
>> tho sometimes apple with cinnamon muffins.

I used to like Publix's apple bran muffins.

>God I used to love blueberry muffins ...

I like the ones at Earth Fare, but like their Top of the Morning ones more.
Alas, they recently renamed them to something like "Breakfast Muffins" and
changed them.

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2019, 9:59:35 AM7/24/19
atr...@mac.com wrote:
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> BTR1701 sent the following on 7/21/19 at 11:54 PM:

>> > I'll never understand why you can easily find bizarre flavors like
>> > 'birthday cake' and 'peanut butter and bubblegum' but a simple blueberry
>> > ice cream is like a frakkin' unicorn-- rumored to exist but never
>> > actually seen.
>>
>> I've never seen it, but I can't say that I've ever looked very hard.
>
>There's a place down on the Venice boardwalk that used to carry
>blueberry ice cream. Every time I was down there, I'd make a point to
>stop in because it's the only place I've ever seen that has it. But they
>went out business, so it's back to nothing, I guess.

I am pretty sure I saw it at Brusters Ice Cream at some point.

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 11:32:46 AM7/24/19
They've been in the stores the last couple weeks. I don't care for them
that much. We grow huckleberries wild around here and I like them
better. They're purple and larger and more tart than the blueberries.

shawn

Jul 24, 2019, 12:20:52 PM7/24/19
On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 09:56:17 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>anim...@cox.net wrote:
>> David Barnett<dbar...@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>> anim...@cox.net says...

>>> Lately I've been eating blueberry muffins,
>>> tho sometimes apple with cinnamon muffins.
>
>I used to like Publix's apple bran muffins.
>
>>God I used to love blueberry muffins ...
>
>I like the ones at Earth Fare, but like their Top of the Morning ones more.
>Alas, they recently renamed them to something like "Breakfast Muffins" and
>changed them.

Every few years I'll buy one of those muffin mix boxes. They come with
real blue berries in a tin so you get the look/feel and taste of blue
berries in the muffins.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 12:26:56 PM7/24/19
I'm your huckleberry.

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 12:28:17 PM7/24/19
You're the dog?!

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 12:35:02 PM7/24/19
<Homer Simpson drooling GIF>

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 12:35:39 PM7/24/19
LOL, it's Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday's signature line from TOMBSTONE.

Ubiquitous

Jul 24, 2019, 2:04:45 PM7/24/19
nanof...@notforgmail.com wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>anim...@cox.net wrote:

>>>God I used to love blueberry muffins ...
>>
>>I like the ones at Earth Fare, but like their Top of the Morning ones more.
>>Alas, they recently renamed them to something like "Breakfast Muffins" and
>>changed them.
>
>Every few years I'll buy one of those muffin mix boxes. They come with
>real blue berries in a tin so you get the look/feel and taste of blue
>berries in the muffins.

Better than flavored blue pieces of dough, I guess.

BTR1701

Jul 24, 2019, 2:16:21 PM7/24/19
We named the dog Indiana.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 3:03:57 PM7/24/19
"I loved that dog!"

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 3:29:09 PM7/24/19
Ok, don't remember that.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 3:48:26 PM7/24/19
Ah. It's supposedly an expression of the era meaning "I'm your man"

Like "somebody needs to feed that dog some pie"
"I'm your huckleberry!"

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 3:58:54 PM7/24/19
;)

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 6:54:58 PM7/24/19
So I just came from the grocery store. Lots and lots of Blackberry. Huge
amounts of grape. No blueberry.
Wait!
That tiny 2oz jar there that costs more than the stuff 4x it's size ...
'organics blueberry'
sheesh

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 8:12:09 PM7/24/19
They die in the heat you've got down there.

anim8rfsk

Jul 24, 2019, 8:36:52 PM7/24/19
Hey! It's 73° here today! 40° lower than normal! Stupid global warming.

suzeeq

Jul 24, 2019, 8:48:22 PM7/24/19
> Hey! It's 73° here today! 40° lower than normal! Stupid global warming.

We had 73 too! Yesterday it was 93, our hottest day so far this year.

Ubiquitous

Jul 27, 2019, 9:14:17 PM7/27/19
In article <qgvjge$rbk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:

>Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
> This was a terrible pilot. What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
>of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots
>are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
>revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
>"friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
>absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
>on.
> I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
>this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
>competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
>*won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
> "Better than 'The Outpost'"?! My ass!

I watched this "on demand" today.
This was sppsd to be a children's show, right?

David Johnston

Jul 27, 2019, 11:02:13 PM7/27/19
On 2019-07-27 7:13 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <qgvjge$rbk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:
>
>> Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
>> This was a terrible pilot. What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
>> of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots
>> are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
>> revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
>> "friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
>> absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
>> on.
>> I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
>> this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
>> competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
>> *won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
>> "Better than 'The Outpost'"?! My ass!
>
> I watched this "on demand" today.
> This was sppsd to be a children's show, right?

It seems to be aimed at teenagers with the school setting and the rather
low end costuming and effects.

anim8rfsk

Jul 27, 2019, 11:07:56 PM7/27/19
Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:13:58 -0700 Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article<qgvjge$rbk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:
>
> > Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
> > This was a terrible pilot. What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
> > of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots
> > are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
> > revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
> > "friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
> > absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
> > on.
> > I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
> > this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
> > competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
> > *won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
> > "Better than 'The Outpost'"?! My ass!
>
> I watched this "on demand" today.
> This was sppsd to be a children's show, right?

That's why I said JASON OF STAR COMMAND. It's like it was intended for
Saturday mornings in the 70s.

Ian J. Ball

Jul 27, 2019, 11:30:56 PM7/27/19
I don't think it's even that good!

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 28, 2019, 1:14:45 PM7/28/19
It's the *only* thing from that movie I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plD1MbOGLfQ

anim8rfsk

Jul 28, 2019, 1:26:48 PM7/28/19
Sun, 28 Jul 2019 10:14:41 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:
Aw. That's a *great* movie. Except for Kilmer.

Ubiquitous

Jul 29, 2019, 2:21:36 PM7/29/19
In article <qhj37g$atv$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, davidjo...@yahoo.com wrote:
>On 2019-07-27 7:13 p.m., Ubiquitous wrote:
>> In article <qgvjge$rbk$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:

>>> Pandora (recorded) - "Shelter from The Storm" (ep. #1, the pilot).
>>> This was a terrible pilot. What do I mean by this? I mean by the end
>>> of the pilot it still felt like I knew absolutely *nothing* - TV pilots
>>> are supposed to *explain* the set-up, but aside from one last-second
>>> revelation about Our Heroine!(tm) (and another one about her new alien
>>> "friend", which itself wasn't conclusive), I feel like I learned
>>> absolutely nothing here, and still have basically no idea what's going
>>> on.
>>> I'll stick with this because it's summer, and I might as well. But
>>> this is exactly the kind of show that would be torn to shreds by the
>>> competition during the "regular TV season". Oh, and I definitely
>>> *won't* be 'series passing' this one!...
>>
>> I watched this "on demand" today.
>> This was sppsd to be a children's show, right?
>
>It seems to be aimed at teenagers with the school setting and the rather
>low end costuming and effects.

And the poor writing.

Ubiquitous

Jul 29, 2019, 2:22:05 PM7/29/19