Wagon train – in color?

anim8rfsk

Oct 5, 2022, 12:50:24 AM10/5/22
INSP has been showing wagon train all day. I knew they started out in
black-and-white, and I knew they transitioned to color along with the rest
of the world in the early 1960s, but I had no idea they went back to black
and white again! Ian‘s Wikipedia article confirms this but doesn’t explain
it.

anim8rfsk

Oct 5, 2022, 2:43:45 AM10/5/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
> INSP has been showing wagon train all day. I knew they started out in
> black-and-white, and I knew they transitioned to color along with the rest
> of the world in the early 1960s, but I had no idea they went back to black
> and white again! Ian‘s Wikipedia article confirms this but doesn’t explain
> it.

They’re also running them in clumps. The clumps are in order internally but
they scramble the clumps themselves so I got a batch of earlier episodes
then I got a batch of last season episodes up to but not including the
finale and then they jumped from season eight back to season six again.
They do seem to be doing whatever they can to avoid the color episodes…

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 5, 2022, 7:45:29 AM10/5/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>INSP has been showing wagon train all day. I knew they started out in
>black-and-white, and I knew they transitioned to color along with the
>rest of the world in the early 1960s, but I had no idea they went back
>to black and white again! Ian's Wikipedia article confirms this but
>doesn't explain it.

That's interesting.

Was it Technicolor or one of the cheaper color processes available? Was
there still a Technicolor camera shortage that made it too expensive for
television?

Neill Massello

Oct 5, 2022, 10:52:03 AM10/5/22
On 2022-10-04 at 23:50:18 CDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> INSP has been showing wagon train all day. I knew they started out in
> black-and-white, and I knew they transitioned to color along with the rest
> of the world in the early 1960s, but I had no idea they went back to black
> and white again! Ian‘s Wikipedia article confirms this but doesn’t explain
> it.

The transition began in the early 60s, but wasn't complete until after 1965.
By then, just about every new show was in color, but existing series only
switched if the producers thought the cost was justified. Gunsmoke only went
to color in 1966; The Munsters never did. CBS was slower to transition than
"in living color" NBC, whose parent company RCA pioneered the NTSC color
system and was a major manufacturer of color TV sets.

A Friend

Oct 5, 2022, 4:55:47 PM10/5/22
In article <thk5me$30j11$1...@dont-email.me>, Neill Massello
<nmas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2022-10-04 at 23:50:18 CDT, "anim8rfsk" <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > INSP has been showing wagon train all day. I knew they started out in
> > black-and-white, and I knew they transitioned to color along with the rest
> > of the world in the early 1960s, but I had no idea they went back to black
> > and white again! IanŚs Wikipedia article confirms this but doesnąt explain
> > it.
>
> The transition began in the early 60s, but wasn't complete until after 1965.
> By then, just about every new show was in color, but existing series only
> switched if the producers thought the cost was justified. Gunsmoke only went
> to color in 1966; The Munsters never did. CBS was slower to transition than
> "in living color" NBC, whose parent company RCA pioneered the NTSC color
> system and was a major manufacturer of color TV sets.

CBS chairman Bill Paley resented that CBS's color system had been
passed over in favor of NBC's. The issue was that NBC's system was
compatible with existing b&w TV sets while CBS's was not. NBC
proclaimed itself full-color as of 1965-66, although I Dream of Jeannie
s1 was not in color because many of its camera tricks required b&w.
They fixed all of that for s2.

Color sets began selling briskly around 1967-68, despite their much
higher cost. I remember the anticipation in our household when my old
man finally decided to spring for one in the fall of 1966. I think it
was mostly about him wanting to watch football in color. I didn't (and
still don't) care about football, but that first night we all watched
The Time Tunnel and were very impressed by the sparkly time graphics.

I see a claim that the last new b&w sets went off the market in 1992,
which seems late to me.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 5, 2022, 10:24:44 PM10/5/22
A Friend wrote:

>>. . .

>CBS chairman Bill Paley resented that CBS's color system had been
>passed over in favor of NBC's. The issue was that NBC's system was
>compatible with existing b&w TV sets while CBS's was not.

To be fair, the CBS system wasn't yet ready for prime time.

>NBC proclaimed itself full-color as of 1965-66, although I Dream of
>Jeannie s1 was not in color because many of its camera tricks required
>b&w. They fixed all of that for s2.

I've also read that when Sidney Sheldon couldn't get funding from the
studio for color production, he offered to pay for it out of his own
pocket. The cost difference was chicken feed and considering how long
it's been in second run syndication, well worth it.

He was discouraged from paying for it because the studio had no faith in
the show at all.

>Color sets began selling briskly around 1967-68, despite their much
>higher cost. I remember the anticipation in our household when my old
>man finally decided to spring for one in the fall of 1966. I think it
>was mostly about him wanting to watch football in color. I didn't (and
>still don't) care about football, but that first night we all watched
>The Time Tunnel and were very impressed by the sparkly time graphics.

>I see a claim that the last new b&w sets went off the market in 1992,
>which seems late to me.

We didn't get a color tv set till the mid 1970s.

anim8rfsk

Oct 6, 2022, 2:50:53 AM10/6/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> A Friend wrote:
>
>>> . . .
>
>> CBS chairman Bill Paley resented that CBS's color system had been
>> passed over in favor of NBC's. The issue was that NBC's system was
>> compatible with existing b&w TV sets while CBS's was not.
>
> To be fair, the CBS system wasn't yet ready for prime time.
>
>> NBC proclaimed itself full-color as of 1965-66, although I Dream of
>> Jeannie s1 was not in color because many of its camera tricks required
>> b&w. They fixed all of that for s2.
>
> I've also read that when Sidney Sheldon couldn't get funding from the
> studio for color production, he offered to pay for it out of his own
> pocket. The cost difference was chicken feed and considering how long
> it's been in second run syndication, well worth it.
>
> He was discouraged from paying for it because the studio had no faith in
> the show at all.

They tell the exact same story about lost in space. Neither Fox nor CBS
would pay 400 bucks an episode to shoot it in color. But Irwin paid some
lesser amount out of his own pocket to shoot most the special effects for
the pilot in color so they’d have them in stock footage for later. The
model work and monster work on the new planet was shot in color but for
whatever reason the Gemini 12 lift off and stuff in space wasn’t. I’ve
wondered if he never expected the Robinsons to get off that first planet.

>> Color sets began selling briskly around 1967-68, despite their much
>> higher cost. I remember the anticipation in our household when my old
>> man finally decided to spring for one in the fall of 1966. I think it
>> was mostly about him wanting to watch football in color. I didn't (and
>> still don't) care about football, but that first night we all watched
>> The Time Tunnel and were very impressed by the sparkly time graphics.
>
>> I see a claim that the last new b&w sets went off the market in 1992,
>> which seems late to me.
>
> We didn't get a color tv set till the mid 1970s.

The Horny Goat

Oct 7, 2022, 6:20:49 AM10/7/22
On Wed, 5 Oct 2022 23:50:48 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>>> Color sets began selling briskly around 1967-68, despite their much
>>> higher cost. I remember the anticipation in our household when my old
>>> man finally decided to spring for one in the fall of 1966. I think it
>>> was mostly about him wanting to watch football in color. I didn't (and
>>> still don't) care about football, but that first night we all watched
>>> The Time Tunnel and were very impressed by the sparkly time graphics.
>>
>>> I see a claim that the last new b&w sets went off the market in 1992,
>>> which seems late to me.
>>
>> We didn't get a color tv set till the mid 1970s.

My grandfather got one specifically for Apollo 11.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 7, 2022, 11:36:43 AM10/7/22
I'm guessing he was severely disappointed.

dirty old man.

anim8rfsk

Oct 7, 2022, 11:40:01 AM10/7/22
Well, that’s cool, but wasn’t that in black-and-white?

anim8rfsk

Oct 7, 2022, 1:48:51 PM10/7/22
My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a week
so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It seemed
to be no big deal and we really didn’t care. Until we gave it back and then
we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just in time for
the premiere of Star Trek!

A Friend

Oct 7, 2022, 2:33:16 PM10/7/22
In article
<1139914492.686857608.5...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> > On 10/7/2022 3:20 AM, The Horny Goat wrote:

> >> My grandfather got one specifically for Apollo 11.
> >
> > I'm guessing he was severely disappointed.
> >

> My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a week
> so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It seemed
> to be no big deal and we really didnšt care. Until we gave it back and then
> we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just in time for
> the premiere of Star Trek!

I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
Tribbles in color.

For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
until I saw it in color. BTW my first color episode must have been
"Miri." Good God. I'm surprised the set didn't go out the window like
on SCTV.

anim8rfsk

Oct 7, 2022, 4:40:34 PM10/7/22
This is one of the green shirt culprits

https://www.startrekcomics.info/images/goldkey/s/st1A.jpg

The Miracles of hand coloring.

A Friend

Oct 7, 2022, 6:21:17 PM10/7/22
In article
<841252157.686867785.67...@news.easynews.com>,
Thanks! I actually remember buying that one. As I recall, the artist
didn't like to draw faces, and so a conspicuous number of the panels
showed the cast from behind. He also drew the Enterprise with rocket
trails coming from the warp engines. He, and his successor, were
Italians who had never seen the series, since it hadn't run in Italy
yet. They had some reference stills, though.

anim8rfsk

Oct 7, 2022, 8:08:01 PM10/7/22

>>> I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
>>> he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
>>> Tribbles in color.
>>>
>>> For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
>>> until I saw it in color. BTW my first color episode must have been
>>> "Miri." Good God. I'm surprised the set didn't go out the window like
>>> on SCTV.
>>>

>> This is one of the green shirt culprits
>>
>> https://www.startrekcomics.info/images/goldkey/s/st1A.jpg
>>
>> The Miracles of hand coloring.
>

> Thanks! I actually remember buying that one. As I recall, the artist
> didn't like to draw faces, and so a conspicuous number of the panels
> showed the cast from behind. He also drew the Enterprise with rocket
> trails coming from the warp engines. He, and his successor, were
> Italians who had never seen the series, since it hadn't run in Italy
> yet. They had some reference stills, though.

You’re conflating somewhat, but, generally correct.

I’ve never understood how it could’ve been cheaper, especially back then
and the snail mail days, to send a script to somebody in Italy who didn’t
speak English and have him draw the comic and send it back to you in New
York. Even if he did it for free.

The trails coming from the warp engines was from the classic NBC publicity
art by the late great James Bama, probably best known for his doc savage
covers. The guy was amazing.

https://images.app.goo.gl/r7CwX7vFM3FaPJzD6

https://www.startrek.com/sites/default/files/styles/content_full/public/images/inline/2019-01/19145019bf87448618c2b79e4dc2d62a.jpg?itok=-B9yrPDA

Ubiquitous

Oct 7, 2022, 8:35:08 PM10/7/22
In article <071020221433094691%no...@noway.com>, no...@noway.com wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>> My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a
>> week so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It
>> seemed to be no big deal and we really didnšt care. Until we gave it back
>> and then we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just
>> in time for the premiere of Star Trek!
>
>I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
>he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
>Tribbles in color.
>
>For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
>until I saw it in color.

Kirk had a green one. It was fugly as hell tho.

--
Let's go Brandoin!

Rhino

Oct 7, 2022, 8:38:03 PM10/7/22
The footage shot by the Apollo 11 crew was black-and-white but
everything else, like the launch, the landing, the interviews with the
likes of Robert Heinlein and Arthur Clarke were all in colour.

It took multiple years to "harden" the camera(s) used by the Apollo 11
crew so that they could withstand the rigours of space - vacuum,
radiation, temperature extremes, etc. - so there apparently wasn't
enough time to "harden" a colour camera in time of Apollo 11 but they
had hardened cameras for most of the later Apollo flights.

--
Rhino

A Friend

Oct 7, 2022, 10:28:06 PM10/7/22
In article
<5256237.686880215.521...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> The trails coming from the warp engines was from the classic NBC publicity
> art by the late great James Bama, probably best known for his doc savage
> covers. The guy was amazing.
>
> https://images.app.goo.gl/r7CwX7vFM3FaPJzD6
>

> https://www.startrek.com/sites/default/files/styles/content_full/public/images
> /inline/2019-01/19145019bf87448618c2b79e4dc2d62a.jpg?itok=-B9yrPDA

That was "wow"! Thanks!!!

A Friend

Oct 7, 2022, 10:32:23 PM10/7/22
In article <yp-dnQPsTJIvWN3-...@giganews.com>, Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> In article <071020221433094691%no...@noway.com>, no...@noway.com wrote:
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >> My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a
> >> week so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It
> >> seemed to be no big deal and we really didnźt care. Until we gave it back
> >> and then we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just
> >> in time for the premiere of Star Trek!
> >
> >I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
> >he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
> >Tribbles in color.
> >
> >For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
> >until I saw it in color.
>
> Kirk had a green one. It was fugly as hell tho.

It was indeed fugly. They created the wraparound for Kirk when Shatner
began gaining weight in s2 and was unable or unwilling to take it off.

David Johnston

Oct 8, 2022, 1:58:57 AM10/8/22
On 2022-10-07 12:33 p.m., A Friend wrote:
> In article
> <1139914492.686857608.5...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> I'm guessing he was severely disappointed.
>>>

>> My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a week
>> so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It seemed
>> to be no big deal and we really didn¹t care. Until we gave it back and then
>> we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just in time for
>> the premiere of Star Trek!
>

> I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
> he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
> Tribbles in color.
>
> For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
> until I saw it in color. BTW my first color episode must have been
> "Miri." Good God. I'm surprised the set didn't go out the window like
> on SCTV.

Kirk had two shirts. One of them was green. The other was also
green...until they turned on the stage lights which changed its colour
to yellow. Well it was always kind of a jaundiced green. Let me show
you what I mean:

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4bfdb3f7e5720884bdb81d7f5d37fc04.webp

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 2:26:40 AM10/8/22
:)

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 2:26:40 AM10/8/22
The green shirt was initially from season one; they used it to
differentiate good Kirk and evil Kirk in the enemy within.

Then Kirk wore a green shirt of different material as his dress uniform.

In season two Kirk had an alternate wraparound shirt but it was a different
design than season one.

A Friend

Oct 8, 2022, 7:20:19 AM10/8/22
In article <thr3in$189p$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, David Johnston
<davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2022-10-07 12:33 p.m., A Friend wrote:
> > In article
> > <1139914492.686857608.5...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> My dad borrowed a color TV from one of his companies hotels for like a week
> >> so we could test drive it and see what all the hubbub was, Bub. It seemed
> >> to be no big deal and we really didn1t care. Until we gave it back and then
> >> we missed it big time! So by the summer of 66 we had one, just in time for
> >> the premiere of Star Trek!
> >

> > I think Star Trek sold a lot of color sets. Writer David Gerrold says
> > he bought his first one so he could see his episode The Trouble with
> > Tribbles in color.
> >
> > For some reason, I'd always thought Kirk's command jersey was green
> > until I saw it in color. BTW my first color episode must have been
> > "Miri." Good God. I'm surprised the set didn't go out the window like
> > on SCTV.
>
> Kirk had two shirts. One of them was green. The other was also
> green...until they turned on the stage lights which changed its colour
> to yellow. Well it was always kind of a jaundiced green. Let me show
> you what I mean:
>
> https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4bfdb3f7e5720884bdb81d7f5d37fc04.webp

Thanks for that.

A Friend

Oct 8, 2022, 7:33:39 AM10/8/22
In article
<1694227742.686901798.7...@news.easynews.com>,
Thanks. Hey, I'l bet The Shat can still get into the wraparound.

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 9:21:29 AM10/8/22
That’s a fable. I was on the set. The shirts were that golden mustard color
on set under the stage lights, outside on the streets, in the lunchroom.

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 9:21:30 AM10/8/22
Lol

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 9:36:52 AM10/8/22
Kirk had at least a half a dozen different shirts across the three seasons
of the original series.
The tan shirt from his pilot, where no man has gone before
The gold velour standard duty tunic from the first two seasons
The green wraparound shirt from season one
The green dress uniform for formal occasions
The green wraparound shirt from season two
The gold synthetic shirt from season three

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 8, 2022, 2:42:09 PM10/8/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>. . .

>The trails coming from the warp engines was from the classic NBC publicity
>art by the late great James Bama, probably best known for his doc savage
>covers. The guy was amazing.

>https://images.app.goo.gl/r7CwX7vFM3FaPJzD6

>https://www.startrek.com/sites/default/files/styles/content_full/public/images/inline/2019-01/19145019bf87448618c2b79e4dc2d62a.jpg?itok=-B9yrPDA

Ah. I know whom you are talking about. He often liked doing that thing
with cheek muscles to create that bulge. It was sort of a trademark.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 8, 2022, 5:42:12 PM10/8/22
That's a REALLY nasty fire in the shuttle bay!

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 7:56:21 PM10/8/22
They have all seven shuttlecraft stacked like cordwood firing auxiliary
engines to get the hell out of Dodge!

anim8rfsk

Oct 8, 2022, 7:56:21 PM10/8/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
His real life cheeks did that too!

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact/photo/james-bamajpg-5b16a34544626f96.jpg

The Horny Goat

Oct 8, 2022, 10:59:10 PM10/8/22
On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 08:39:57 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:
The actual shots from the moon were; scenes from Cape Canaveral were
in color. (As was the landing at sea)

I remember seeing the NBC color peacock during breaks in the action.