Passport please... in a little while

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 23, 2021, 10:23:44 PM9/23/21
Once again, Biden administration delayed the internal passport
requirement.

The deadline for use of REAL ID has been put off from October 1, 2021,
till May 3, 2023.

I will probably get one next year anyway as my license expires.
My state wasn't offering REAL ID when I obtained the current one.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/news/2021/04/27/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline

chromebook test

Sep 23, 2021, 10:41:50 PM9/23/21
Be sure to schedule early. It took me 6 weeks of waiting to get an appointment. Seriously, 6 weeks.

All the branch offices have been closed and centralized in one location that is understaffed.

BTR1701

Sep 23, 2021, 10:51:26 PM9/23/21
On Sep 23, 2021 at 7:41:47 PM PDT, "chromebook test"
I recently renewed my license and I declined the RealID. As you say, it would
have required an in-person visit to the DMV with appointments and lots of
lines and me digging through files to find the paperwork they want.

Since my passport is valid until 2034, I just got the non-RealID license and
will use my passport if, god forbid, I ever need to get one a plane again.

RichA

Sep 23, 2021, 11:10:40 PM9/23/21
How long till states and cities have their own monitored borders?

RichA

Sep 23, 2021, 11:13:46 PM9/23/21
So what are these I.D.-less Democrats who can vote going to do?

shawn

Sep 23, 2021, 11:23:07 PM9/23/21
Why do they keep putting it off? I think at this point everyone in
Georgia either has or will have a REAL ID compliant drivers license by
the time the deadline is reached.

suzeeq

Sep 23, 2021, 11:39:18 PM9/23/21
On 9/23/2021 7:23 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Once again, Biden administration delayed the internal passport
> requirement.
>
> The deadline for use of REAL ID has been put off from October 1, 2021,
> till May 3, 2023.
>
> I will probably get one next year anyway as my license expires.
> My state wasn't offering REAL ID when I obtained the current one.

Thanks for the update. Mine expires next year too and I'm getting one
then. Now that my son moved across the country I'll need one to fly as
it's not 7 hour drive like before.

> https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/news/2021/04/27/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline

suzeeq

Sep 23, 2021, 11:41:24 PM9/23/21
Understaffing in the DMV offices probably. And some states have long DL
terms. I could have got one 3 years ago, but didn't have a need for one
then, now I dol.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 23, 2021, 11:45:17 PM9/23/21
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>>. . .

>I recently renewed my license and I declined the RealID. As you say, it would
>have required an in-person visit to the DMV with appointments and lots of
>lines and me digging through files to find the paperwork they want.

>Since my passport is valid until 2034, I just got the non-RealID license and
>will use my passport if, god forbid, I ever need to get one a plane again.

I am very grateful for your state, which makes my state look competent.

Adam H. Kerman

Sep 23, 2021, 11:47:58 PM9/23/21
shawn <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>Fri, 24 Sep 2021 02:23:41 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com>:

>>Once again, Biden administration delayed the internal passport
>>requirement.

>>The deadline for use of REAL ID has been put off from October 1, 2021,
>>till May 3, 2023.

>>I will probably get one next year anyway as my license expires.
>>My state wasn't offering REAL ID when I obtained the current one.

>>https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/news/2021/04/27/dhs-announces-extension-real-id-full-enforcement-deadline

>Why do they keep putting it off? I think at this point everyone in
>Georgia either has or will have a REAL ID compliant drivers license by
>the time the deadline is reached.

They are making me show the same documents I had to show to obtain a
driver's license. It's all so much nonsense.

shawn

Sep 23, 2021, 11:52:10 PM9/23/21
Yes, our license runs for 8 years so I won't be getting a new one till
2026. Plus you can do it all through the mail as long as you already
have a REAL-ID compliant license. I could have gotten my license
through the mail last time but they had instituted the documentation
requirements for REAL-ID so you had to go to the DMV. Still it only
took me less than an hour to get my new license once I got to the DMV.
I've heard horror stories about people having to wait hours at the DMV
before but I've never had that issue here.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 3:36:36 AM9/24/21
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> Once again, Biden administration delayed the internal passport
> requirement.
>
> The deadline for use of REAL ID has been put off from October 1, 2021,
> till May 3, 2023.
>
> I will probably get one next year anyway as my license expires.
> My state wasn't offering REAL ID when I obtained the current one.

Mine was but I couldn’t meet the requirements and it cost money and seemed
pointless.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 3:36:37 AM9/24/21
The next time I have to renew my drivers license it will have been years
since I’ve driven. The question is do I spend hours in line at the DMV (we
don’t have appointments) just to get a non-driving identification card or
do I just not bother.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 3:56:14 AM9/24/21
It took me three hours standing in line at the shiny new DMV only about
five minutes from my house (before then I had to go to one that’s halfway
to Prescott) to even get up to the window to initiate the getting the
license process last time, a couple years ago.

But my record was back in 1997 when I was working for Fox animation. I went
to one of the satellite DMV offices that was right by my house (long gone
now). I was there when it opened and there was already a line and I got a
number and it was obvious it was going to be a long time before they got to
me so I went to my office which was right nearby and called in to Fox and
said I’d be working from there that day. Every couple hours I’d run over to
the DMV and see what number they were on and they never got anywhere near
mine.
The next morning I got there about half an hour before they opened and got
my number and went through the same nonsense and they got close to me that
time but they never actually got to me.
Day 3. I get there an hour before they open. Meet a cute girl in line. We
get our numbers. She decides to wait, I go back to the office. On my second
or third check in of the day, about 4 o’clock, my number is close enough I
might make it before they close. Hey there’s the cute girl again. I sit
down and talk to her, she’s been sitting there since eight that morning. I
have the problem that the next day is my birthday so if I don’t get it
renewed before it expires it’s going to be even worse. With like five
minutes to spare they get to me. License renewed! Actual elapsed time:
three freaking days.

The next time I got my license renewed at that location they had an
extraordinarily gay concierge literally flitting from person to person as
we sat and waited looking to see if our papers were in order. I mostly
remember the bright blue jacket and matching tie. He was like a maître d’
in a restaurant you were having second thoughts about going to.
At that point in time we were still using our Social Security numbers as
our drivers license number. I had filled out the form that way. He asked to
see proof of my SS number. I showed him my previous drivers license. That
didn’t count. My Social Security card had long since disintegrated in my
wallet. So he said I had to make up a random nine digit number but I
couldn’t read use my actual number. Disgusted, I went to the nearby
stationary store where they made metal Social Security cards for four
dollars and put anything you wanted on it. Any name, any number, any
anything. I had one of those made and went back and he gleefully accepted
it and let me use the same number from my previous drivers license on my
new one. So that one took a couple of days. One of the reasons that place
was so slow was they only had three windows and on that occasion one of
them had a woman sitting there reading the newspaper and not waiting on
anybody. Both days I was there. For hours. I assume she was in some sort of
labor dispute and they were just making her sit and not help anybody.

Then there was the time in 1981 when I had to drive all the way across town
to pick up my shiny new personalized license plate… That’s actually a
pretty good story.

Your Name

Sep 24, 2021, 6:31:04 PM9/24/21
Here in New Zealand the Drivers Licence was originally for life, like
it was in many countries. Then they changed it and it now has to be
renewed every 10 years until you are age 75. The renewal is really just
an eyesight test* (or have an doctor's / optician's certificate) and a
new photo. At 75 you may also have to resit the practical driving
component of the test and may need a Doctor's health certificate. After
that you have to renew it again at 80 years old, and then every two
years after that. The renewal can be done at most New Zealand
Automobile Association offices or Vehicle Testing New Zealand offices.

New Zealand passports are also have to be renewed every 10 years.
(Mine's a British passport and expired decades ago anyway because I've
never used it.)

In both cases it's largely due to needing to update the photo more than
anything else.

* The counter-top eysight testing machine is silly if you wear glasses
because it causes them to fog up.

RichA

Sep 24, 2021, 7:37:18 PM9/24/21
I knew a guy whose father was a T-1 diabetic. He regularly crashed his car.
I saw a "60 Minutes" ep. about the problem of old people who were driving
who no longer could. One of the selfish old bastards killed 4 people. When they
brought the walking corpse to court, the judge couldn't do anything because the
old kook was so far gone with dementia, they couldn't even understand what
they'd done. People should be tested on automated dexterity test machines (not driver tests
as that would be too much for the system) once ever three years after age 65 and stuck
off from driving if they fail.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 8:01:47 PM9/24/21
Oh, I’d say annually.

moviePig

Sep 24, 2021, 11:25:01 PM9/24/21
The thing is, driving *habits* likely have as much to do with road
safety/efficiency as physical competence, etc.