ques about "Nikki" in "Blue Bloods". Was it always the same actress

danny burstein

Aug 5, 2016, 12:34:34 PM8/5/16
We just caught one of the early episodes
in which the Feds are trying to pull Jamie
into their investigation of the Blue Templars.

At the Sunday dinner, everyone looks so much younger...
but are clearly identifiable. Even the Terriciano
brothers - again, younger but it's them.

However, "Nicky" looked pretty different.

It may have just been that the actress changed
a lot over the years, plus add in makeup, etc.

But both my wife and I weren't sure that Sami Gayle
was doing the part.

The expletive deleted tv channel clipped the
cast list in their rebroadcast so that's no help.

I looked in IMDB and there's no indication
of a different actress.

Curiously, of the 133 episodes (as of yesterday) in IMDB,
Frank and most of the family, including the boys,
are in all 133. Sami Gayle is in 127 (doesn't mean
much one way or another; missing a couple over
a half century..)

The other frequent folk such as Jbara have good numbers,
with him being at 101.

But what surprised me is the claim that Abigail Hawk
is credited with 117! At five seconds per show, that
adds up to some real screen time!

Anyway, anyone know about Sam Gayle/Nicky?

Thanks

dan...@panix.com

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 5, 2016, 1:51:34 PM8/5/16
danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:

>We just caught one of the early episodes
>in which the Feds are trying to pull Jamie
>into their investigation of the Blue Templars.

>At the Sunday dinner, everyone looks so much younger...
>but are clearly identifiable. Even the Terriciano
>brothers - again, younger but it's them.

>However, "Nicky" looked pretty different.

>It may have just been that the actress changed
>a lot over the years, plus add in makeup, etc.

>But both my wife and I weren't sure that Sami Gayle
>was doing the part. . . .

I remember Sami Gayle changed her hair a couple of times.

It came up in a newspaper tv column recently that Nicky was recast
after the pilot. Nicky was played by Marlene Lawston in the pilot.

The episode you're describing doesn't sound like the pilot. Jamie
would have been introduced as just having graduated from the police
academy. At this point, I don't recall his back story. He graduated
from law school. I don't know if he ever practiced, or was admitted
to the bar.

danny burstein

Aug 5, 2016, 8:50:15 PM8/5/16
In <no2jn3$8ls$2...@news.albasani.net> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
[lost snipeth]

>>However, "Nicky" looked pretty different.

>>But both my wife and I weren't sure that Sami Gayle
>>was doing the part. . . .

>I remember Sami Gayle changed her hair a couple of times.

>It came up in a newspaper tv column recently that Nicky was recast
>after the pilot. Nicky was played by Marlene Lawston in the pilot.

>The episode you're describing doesn't sound like the pilot. Jamie
>would have been introduced as just having graduated from the police
>academy. At this point, I don't recall his back story. He graduated
>from law school. I don't know if he ever practiced, or was admitted
>to the bar.

You know, the more I think about the more likely
that this episode was the "real" pilot, even
though it was shown (late in the first season?
Early second?).

Looking back at it there was a lot of "starting
stuff" which could have been stand alonish, so
to speak, without a fleshed out backstory..

My feeling is that... they showed it to the NBC bosses
and got the go ahead, then wrote a new "first" episode
and a bunch of others, then snuck this one in.

Kind of like Star Trek's "The Menagarie" which
became "The Cage" (or vice versa).

danny burstein

Aug 5, 2016, 9:28:50 PM8/5/16
[superseding my earlier post due to way too many typos.
You may or may not see that one, so apologies
if you're getting a dupe.]

In <no2jn3$8ls$2...@news.albasani.net> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
[lots snippeth]

>However, "Nicky" looked pretty different.

>>But both my wife and I weren't sure that Sami Gayle
>>was doing the part. . . .

>I remember Sami Gayle changed her hair a couple of times.

>It came up in a newspaper tv column recently that Nicky was recast
>after the pilot. Nicky was played by Marlene Lawston in the pilot.

>The episode you're describing doesn't sound like the pilot. Jamie
>would have been introduced as just having graduated from the police
>academy. At this point, I don't recall his back story. He graduated
>from law school. I don't know if he ever practiced, or was admitted
>to the bar.

You know, the more I think about the more likely
that this episode was the "real" pilot, even
though it was shown (late in the first season?
Early second?).

Looking back at it there was a lot of "starting
stuff" which could have been stand alonish, so
to speak, without a fleshed out backstory..

My feeling is that... they showed it to the CBS bosses

danny burstein

Aug 6, 2016, 9:18:48 PM8/6/16
In <no3egg$hv9$1...@reader2.panix.com> danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> writes:

>>danny burstein <dan...@panix.com> wrote:
>[lots snippeth]

>>However, "Nicky" looked pretty different.

>>>But both my wife and I weren't sure that Sami Gayle
>>>was doing the part. . . .

>>It came up in a newspaper tv column recently that Nicky was recast
>>after the pilot. Nicky was played by Marlene Lawston in the pilot.

>>The episode you're describing doesn't sound like the pilot. Jamie
>>would have been introduced as just having graduated from the police
>>academy. At this point, I don't recall his back story. He graduated
>>from law school. I don't know if he ever practiced, or was admitted
>>to the bar.

>You know, the more I think about the more likely
>that this episode was the "real" pilot, even
>though it was shown (late in the first season?
>Early second?).

>Looking back at it there was a lot of "starting
>stuff" which could have been stand alonish, so
>to speak, without a fleshed out backstory..

Update: Now that I'm at home and have the TiVo
(which did NOT record that episode since it was
a rerun) and can see its upcoming lists of
Blue Bloods episodes, I see that WGNA (and
presumbaly other syndicatees..) is showing
episodes 5 and 6 tonight, then episode #8
tomorros (Sunday), skipping number 7, then
number 9, etc., etc.

Thus it's quite possible that Thursday's was,
indeed, episode #1 setting the stage up with
all those little hooks.

Annoyingly, after WGNA airs episode 10 and 11
on Sunday night, the next one, on Monday,
is episode 422 (followed by 313, 314, 315...)
so [expletive deleted] to them.

But IONSAT on Thursday has episode 13...

My head hurts

Hunter

Aug 6, 2016, 10:47:06 PM8/6/16
Sammi Gayle has played Nikki since the second episode of the series. To me, while obviously older looking she is still identifiabe as the same girl since the second episode. She did have a cute "Lisa Minellli" look for a few seasons that I liked but has changed her hair do since then so rhat may have thrown you off.

kalyan.c...@gmail.com

Mar 19, 2017, 8:41:49 PM3/19/17
I think you know this by now. It was played by different actress in pilot. Then they said she went to in a trip with her father to san francisco(probably took their time to find replacement). And then after the trip she is played different actress.
pilot actress:Marlene Lawston.
rest played by: Sami Gayle.

danny burstein

Mar 19, 2017, 10:23:40 PM3/19/17
In <1ca9fbb6-c63d-413a...@googlegroups.com> kalyan.c...@gmail.com writes:

>I think you know this by now. It was played by different actress in pilot. Then they said she went to in a trip with her father to san francisco(probably took their time to find replacement). And then after the trip she is played different actress.
>pilot actress:Marlene Lawston.
>rest played by: Sami Gayle.

Thanks.

Now what we need someone with the complete DVD set or other
access... to pull over all those 10 second clips of Abigail
Hawk [a] and string them together.

[a] there was an episode a month or so ago when she was
actually on for an extended period as she and Frank
discussed her pregnancy

borderlin...@gmail.com

Feb 8, 2018, 3:39:21 AM2/8/18
Marlene Lawston Played Nicky Reagan in the Pilot Then Sami Gayle took the role over, She did change her hair style a few times, I think she was the better Nicky... Someone mentioned they didn't know Jamie's back story if he ever practiced law, in one of the episodes he said he worked a summer on the Innocence Project... Baker is one of my favorite characters, glad to see they are giving her role time.

Rhino

Feb 8, 2018, 12:19:45 PM2/8/18
Nicky certainly changed her hairstyle a few times and she also had
braces for several seasons so that may be why someone would think it
wasn't the same actress all the way through (excluding the pilot when it
*was* a different actress).

--
Rhino