"Supergirl" casts Jimmy Olsen with Mehcad Brooks ("Necessary Roughness")

David

Jan 28, 2015, 9:04:10 PM1/28/15
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs-supergirl-768142

Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
by Lesley Goldberg

Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star
opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
Reporter has learned.

The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Benoist
will play Kara, who after arriving on Earth was taken in by a foster
family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her
extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin,
Superman).

Now 24, Kara feels un-empowered, a slave to having repressed her
innate abilities. She's still pretty, but with her face hidden behind
glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn't know it herself. An
unexpected disaster forces her to use her powers in public. Energized
by her heroic deed, for the first time in her life, Kara begins
embracing her extraordinary abilities. She begins helping the people
of her city and they soon take notice — and she's even given a new
moniker: Supergirl.

Olsen, in the CBS take, is a photographer at CatCo.,?where Kara works.
He's the ?salt of the earth and this only makes Kara crush on him even
more. The character has recently been living and working in National
City though the reason is still a secret. As Kara emerges as Supergirl
they grow closer.

Arrow and Flash's Greg Berlanti and his No Ordinary Family cohort Ali
Adler (The New Normal) will pen the script and executive produce the
drama via Berlanti Productions' Warner Bros. Television-based banner.
Berlanti Productions' topper Sarah Schecter is also on board to
executive produce.

Brooks' credits include HBO's vampire drama True Blood and ABC's
Desperate Housewives as well as features About Last Night and In the
Valley of Elah. He's repped by Gersh, Atlas Artists and attorney Dave
Feldman.

Ian J. Ball

Jan 28, 2015, 9:09:09 PM1/28/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 6:04:10 PM UTC-8, David wrote:

> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast
> -cbs-supergirl-768142
>
> Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
> by Lesley Goldberg
>
> Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star
> opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
> Reporter has learned.

That's two strikes now.

They are really fucking up this one every bit as badly as the Moronic Woman 'reboot'.

I almost have to wonder if The CW would have done better handling this one...

A Friend

Jan 28, 2015, 10:23:29 PM1/28/15
In article <d0eaff7d-83d5-4881...@googlegroups.com>, Ian
Mehcad Brooks was the best thing about Necessary Roughness, so I'm
looking forward to seeing him here. I'm just wondering why the hell
they're casting him as Jimmy Olsen instead of Dick Malverne or someone
else. Jimmy just doesn't fit here.

anim8rFSK

Jan 28, 2015, 11:38:48 PM1/28/15
In article <g65jcalbiccj9fk4h...@4ax.com>,
David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs-supergirl-7681
> 42
>
> Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
> by Lesley Goldberg
>
> Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star

Couldn't they just get Sam Jones III or is he still in prison?

> opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
> Reporter has learned.
>
> The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
> on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
> planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago.

Okay, so that violates every continuity she's ever had

Benoist
> will play Kara, who after arriving on Earth was taken in by a foster
> family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her
> extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin,
> Superman).
>
> Now 24, Kara feels un-empowered, a slave to having repressed her
> innate abilities. She's still pretty, but with her face hidden behind
> glasses and her hair pulled back, she doesn't know it herself. An
> unexpected disaster forces her to use her powers in public. Energized
> by her heroic deed, for the first time in her life, Kara begins
> embracing her extraordinary abilities. She begins helping the people
> of her city and they soon take notice — and she's even given a new
> moniker: Supergirl.
>
> Olsen, in the CBS take, is a photographer at CatCo.,?where Kara works.

CatCo??

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

RichA

Jan 28, 2015, 11:48:21 PM1/28/15
"Cub reporter" is probably a good job for a black now since it has about the same status now as a cook at McDonalds.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 12:08:05 AM1/29/15
In article <d0eaff7d-83d5-4881...@googlegroups.com>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:

Yeah, I'm bordering on 'won't even sample' at this point. I'm sure that
once we see the costume I'll be out for sure.

Ian J. Ball

Jan 29, 2015, 12:21:14 AM1/29/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 7:23:29 PM UTC-8, A Friend wrote:

> In article <d0eaff7d-83d5-4881...@googlegroups.com>, Ian
> J. Ball <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 6:04:10 PM UTC-8, David wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast
> > > -cbs-supergirl-768142
> > >
> > > Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
> > > by Lesley Goldberg
> > >
> > > Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star
> > > opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
> > > Reporter has learned.
> >
> > That's two strikes now.
> >
> > They are really fucking up this one every bit as badly as the Moronic Woman
> > 'reboot'.
> >
> > I almost have to wonder if The CW would have done better handling
> > this one...
>
> Mehcad Brooks was the best thing about Necessary Roughness...

Well, he was one of the least impressive things about "Desperate Housewives".

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 29, 2015, 1:23:01 AM1/29/15
On 1/28/2015 8:38 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <g65jcalbiccj9fk4h...@4ax.com>,
> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs-supergirl-7681
>> 42
>>
>> Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
>> by Lesley Goldberg
>>
>> Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star
>
> Couldn't they just get Sam Jones III or is he still in prison?
>
>> opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
>> Reporter has learned.
>>
>> The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
>> on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
>> planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago.
>
> Okay, so that violates every continuity she's ever had

Other people's continuity is just so constricting to the artistically
creative mind. :P

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 8:25:46 AM1/29/15

On 1/28/2015 9:09 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> I almost have to wonder if The CW would have done better handling this one...

Either way, it would still be coming out of Warner Bros. Studios.

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 8:26:34 AM1/29/15
The female lead is a good cast choice. Don't let Ian and his Disney
mentality tell you otherwise.

Ian J. Ball

Jan 29, 2015, 10:58:50 AM1/29/15
In article <madcd5$r18$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Except for the part that I'm right.

--
"He's not just a driver - he's a transporter." - Juliette Dubois

David

Jan 29, 2015, 11:17:16 AM1/29/15
On Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:38:48 PM UTC-5, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <g65jcalbiccj9fk4h...@4ax.com>,
> David <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Olsen, in the CBS take, is a photographer at CatCo.,?where Kara works.
>
> CatCo??

In the comics Cat's blog website is something like CatClarkTropolis.com so this is definitely better.

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 11:27:16 AM1/29/15

On 1/29/2015 10:58 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article <madcd5$r18$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/29/2015 12:08 AM, anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> Yeah, I'm bordering on 'won't even sample' at this point. I'm sure that
>>> once we see the costume I'll be out for sure.
>>
>> The female lead is a good cast choice. Don't let Ian and his Disney
>> mentality tell you otherwise.
>
> Except for the part that I'm right.

We all know how frequently that happens.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 1:11:36 PM1/29/15
In article <madn00$7or$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
More frequently than they produce a good SUPERGIRL project.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 29, 2015, 1:24:49 PM1/29/15
>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs-supergirl-768142

>Jimmy Olsen Cast in CBS' 'Supergirl' Pilot
>by Lesley Goldberg

>Necessary Roughness alum Mehcad Brooks has been tapped to co-star
>opposite Glee's Melissa Benoist in the DC Comics take, The Hollywood
>Reporter has learned.

>The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
>on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
>planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago. Benoist
>will play Kara, who after arriving on Earth was taken in by a foster
>family, the Danvers, who taught her to be careful with her
>extraordinary powers (which she shares with her famous cousin,
>Superman).

I liked Mehcad Brooks a lot on Necessary Roughness. It was a good
performance. He gave the character some depth beyond the party boy
on certain episodes, particularly the episode in which he thought
was going to be a father.

But he'll be in his mid to late 30s when this goes into production. Is
Jimmy anywhere close to that age in Supergirl? Is Jimmy even a regular
character?

Is Jimmy ever tall and athletic?

Ian J. Ball

Jan 29, 2015, 1:26:06 PM1/29/15
In article <anim8rfsk-D83C4...@news.easynews.com>,
+1

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 1:43:01 PM1/29/15
I'd call it a tie.

A Friend

Jan 29, 2015, 2:02:05 PM1/29/15
In article <madttf$5dr$2...@news.albasani.net>, Adam H. Kerman
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> >>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jimmy-olsen-cast-cbs-supergirl-76
He's been reasonably athletic, but he's never been tall. Jimmy is
supposed to be about 5'6" or 5'7", with Superman at about 6'2".
Jimmy's role here, though, isn't going to be as a sidekick. Tell you
the truth, I have no idea what they're going to do with him, or even
why they're using Jimmy's name for this wildly dissimilar character.

I think you said you're going to have to see the costume to figure out
whether to pull the chain on this. I feel the same way.

Also, how the hell do you pronounce Benoist?

icebreaker

Jan 29, 2015, 2:20:29 PM1/29/15
I have no doubt they would have done a better job. I just don't see
this ever pulling a CBS slot. They'll probably foist it upon The CW
before all is said and done.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 2:26:45 PM1/29/15
No, and he's never romanced Supergirl either.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 2:37:11 PM1/29/15
In article <290120151402027157%no...@noway.com>,
That was me. :)

> Also, how the hell do you pronounce Benoist?

http://screenrant.com/supergirl-tv-show-actress-melissa-benoist/

"Only time will tell if Benoist (pronounced Ben-oyst) is another
success."

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 2:53:55 PM1/29/15
I'm surprised you don't remember her from nude scenes in HOMELAND.

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 2:54:35 PM1/29/15
I'm not sure they could move it between the two networks without
rewriting everyone's contract / pay scale.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 3:01:45 PM1/29/15
In article <mae33f$s0f$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
I saw that, but I think I'd given up on Homeland by then. I remember
Morena, and the hot blonde that only lasted one ep.

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 3:04:53 PM1/29/15
The nude scene was from episode #2 according to Google...but I cannot
confirm since I had given up on HOMELAND by then.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 3:25:01 PM1/29/15
In article <mae34o$s0f$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
CBS has done it before. See Rob Estes and Silk Stalkings.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 3:36:11 PM1/29/15
In article <mae3o1$s0f$5...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
I will check and report back to you.

Your Name

Jan 29, 2015, 3:49:47 PM1/29/15
In article <anim8rfsk-A0A99...@news.easynews.com>,
He wasn't black either ... but thanks to the idiocy of "Political
Correctness", he is now.

I'm just surprised he's still a "he". These days they're just as likely
to re-cast the character as a female (likely still called "Jimmy" with
the excuse that it's some shortened form of Jermima or something). :-\

A Friend

Jan 29, 2015, 4:39:35 PM1/29/15
In article <anim8rfsk-E7C7D...@news.easynews.com>,
Thanks!

A Friend

Jan 29, 2015, 4:41:28 PM1/29/15
wrote:

> I'm surprised you don't remember her from nude scenes in HOMELAND.

I remember her from the video of her enthusiastically bonking her
boyfriend, as seen in last year's Fappening.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 4:55:05 PM1/29/15
In article <anim8rfsk-DA75E...@news.easynews.com>,
Okay. Pretty girl, terrible actress, nice breasts. I'm not surprised
I'd forgotten her - she's one of those 'walk on just to get an R rating
never seen again' types.

My hopes for SUPERGIRL just plummeted.

Michael Black

Jan 29, 2015, 7:51:09 PM1/29/15
Is "Jermima" a name?

I thought it was "Jemima". Certainly it was "Aunt Jemima" (my great,
great grandmother's sister). Though the name wsa much more common back
then (rather than now when it's mostly the brand of pancake mix and
syrup), since one of her brothers married a Jemima too. SOmetimes it's
hard to keep track of the family tree, because names were reused
(especially since there were cases of some of the children dying young).

Though oddly, I still can't figure out why my father and grandfather have
"F" as a middle initial.

Michael

Stan Brown

Jan 29, 2015, 8:09:52 PM1/29/15
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 14:02:02 -0500, A Friend wrote:
> He's been reasonably athletic, but he's never been tall. Jimmy is
> supposed to be about 5'6" or 5'7", with Superman at about 6'2".

Jared Padalecki has the build, but at 6'4½" he's too tall.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Your Name

Jan 29, 2015, 8:45:43 PM1/29/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Probably not. It was a typo. :-)

> I thought it was "Jemima". Certainly it was "Aunt Jemima" (my great,
> great grandmother's sister). Though the name wsa much more common back
> then (rather than now when it's mostly the brand of pancake mix and
> syrup), since one of her brothers married a Jemima too.

There's an old todders' TV show called "Play School" (both a UK and a
New Zealand version) which had various dolls and teddy bears that the
adult presenters talked to and played with - one of the dolls was named
Jemima. There was also an egg-shaped doll named "Humpty", and two teddy
bears imaginatively named "Big Ted" and "Little Ted". The New Zealand
version also a Maori doll named "Manu".

One of the presenters many years ago on the New Zealand version was Jay
Laga'aia, who has appeared as an actor in various New Zealand and
Australia TV and stage shows (including being Captain Typho in Star
Wars Episode II). I see in the latest issue of New Zealand TV Guide
that he has now come full-circle with a new toddler-aimed show called
"Jay's Jungle".

> SOmetimes it's hard to keep track of the family tree, because names were
> reused (especially since there were cases of some of the children dying
> young).
>
> Though oddly, I still can't figure out why my father and grandfather have
> "F" as a middle initial.

The F stands for Father and Father's-Father. ;-)

Obveeus

Jan 29, 2015, 8:46:47 PM1/29/15
Sure...but just because the CBS version of the SUPERGIRL costume won't
be topless.

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 8:48:37 PM1/29/15

Ian J. Ball

Jan 29, 2015, 9:09:00 PM1/29/15
Her "superpower" is... "FULL HEADLIGHTS"!!! ;p

anim8rFSK

Jan 29, 2015, 11:09:25 PM1/29/15
In article <maenp3$6tl$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
The best I can say about SUPERGIRL is that GHOSTBUSTER CHYCKS is gonna
be worse. BTW, did you see they bought off or threatened Ernie Hudson
today?

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 30, 2015, 12:28:26 AM1/30/15
No, tell please.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Your Name

Jan 30, 2015, 12:36:00 AM1/30/15
In article <54cb1676$0$36565$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Dimensional
Well, you see, today they bought off or threatened Ernie Hudson. ;-)

anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2015, 1:11:12 AM1/30/15
In article <300120151836272217%Your...@YourISP.com>,
hee hee

Hudson tweeted negatively about it, and in short order recanted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ernie-hudson-changes-mind-all-76831
0

Reminds of when Anne Rice badmouthed the coming Tom Cruise vampire film,
and they had a talk with her, and in short order she was praising it to
high heaven.

Ackroyd just came out in favor of it as well. I bet they won't get
Murray though.

Obveeus

Jan 30, 2015, 8:03:55 AM1/30/15
So now he thinks that the new GHOSTBUSTERS is a good idea even though
the women aren't funny or sexy?

I'm guessing someone pointed out to him not to bite the residual hand
that feeds him. The new movie being made can only boost airings of the
old film on TV and rentals/buys (DVD/streaming).

A Friend

Jan 30, 2015, 9:53:14 AM1/30/15
In article <mafvel$398$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
Somebody twisted Ernie's arm really, really hard. No word on who
actually supplied the quote for Ernie (or for Dan Aykroyd, for that
matter). See this from yesterday's Hollywood Reporter:

by Emmet McDermott 1/29/2015 12:34pm PST

Original ghostbuster Ernie Hudson has had a change of heart about an
all-female Ghostbusters cast, calling the new line-up "phenomenal"
after previously saying a female cast "would be a bad idea."

Hudson tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Four fiercely funny, foxy,
females busting ghosts ... phenomenal!"

The new statement is drastically different from the opinions he has
previously expressed about an all-female cast. On Tuesday, Hudson
responded to the new cast announcement on Twitter, writing, "No
comment."

Two words: "No comment" http://t.co/XuYzcGA10r

— Ernie Hudson (@Ernie_Hudson) January 28, 2015

Back in October, Hudson told the Telegraph, "I heard [the new
Ghostbusters] was going to be a total reboot, and that it would have
nothing to do with the other two movies ... If it has nothing to do
with the other two movies, and it's all female, then why are you
calling it Ghostbusters?"

Hudson added, "I love females. I hope that if they go that way at least
they'll be funny, and if they're not funny at least hopefully it'll be
sexy. I love the idea of including women, I think that's great. But
all-female I think would be a bad idea. I don't think the fans want to
see that.

"Maybe it will come out and be the most amazing thing, but in my
opinion I think it would be wrong to do another movie that didn't
include the guys. And that didn't include me!"

THR asked Hudson's publicist for clarity on the change in position, but
received no response.

Hudson is joined by his Ghostbusters co-star Dan Aykroyd in his support
for the cast. Aykroyd called the new leading ladies -- Kristen Wiig,
Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon -- "magnificent."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ernie-hudson-changes-mind-all-7683
10

anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2015, 10:02:04 AM1/30/15
In article <mafvel$398$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
And he swang WAY the other way, from 'bad idea' to 'brilliant' and 'the
cast is phenomenal'

> I'm guessing someone pointed out to him not to bite the residual hand
> that feeds him. The new movie being made can only boost airings of the
> old film on TV and rentals/buys (DVD/streaming).

anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2015, 10:16:03 AM1/30/15
In article <300120150953107849%no...@noway.com>,
Thanks for the cites.

Obveeus

Jan 30, 2015, 10:20:55 AM1/30/15
Maybe Melissa McCarthy threw him some love?

anim8rFSK

Jan 30, 2015, 10:28:01 AM1/30/15
In article <mag7fi$cib$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
If this were The Facebook, I'd invoke the vomit icon.

Hmm ... here you go:

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/082009/1250675188_family_guy_barfing.gif

Obveeus

Jan 30, 2015, 10:40:24 AM1/30/15
I watched a Whitney Cummings special on Youtube this morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zviMx5JbX5I
where she did her impression of a penis. I was somewhat appalled that
she forgot to do that bit at the end of the impression.

Side note: youtube offered up an ad where Mindy Kaling took advantage
of New York City's public nudity laws.

Jim G.

Jan 30, 2015, 1:14:58 PM1/30/15
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 01/29/2015 at 08:08 PM:
It would be a shame if she were impervious to the cold.

"You cannot make yourself a verb!" -- Lana Kane, ARCHER

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 31, 2015, 1:21:07 AM1/31/15
On 1/29/2015 10:11 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <300120151836272217%Your...@YourISP.com>,
> Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <54cb1676$0$36565$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Dimensional
>> Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

>>> No, tell please.
>>
>> Well, you see, today they bought off or threatened Ernie Hudson. ;-)
>
> hee hee
>
> Hudson tweeted negatively about it, and in short order recanted:
>
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ernie-hudson-changes-mind-all-76831
> 0

And you trust messages relayed by a bird?

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 31, 2015, 1:23:14 AM1/31/15
On 1/30/2015 6:53 AM, A Friend wrote:
> In article <mafvel$398$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/29/2015 11:09 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
>>> The best I can say about SUPERGIRL is that GHOSTBUSTER CHYCKS is gonna
>>> be worse. BTW, did you see they bought off or threatened Ernie Hudson
>>> today?
>>
>> So now he thinks that the new GHOSTBUSTERS is a good idea even though
>> the women aren't funny or sexy?
>>
>> I'm guessing someone pointed out to him not to bite the residual hand
>> that feeds him. The new movie being made can only boost airings of the
>> old film on TV and rentals/buys (DVD/streaming).
>

> Somebody twisted Ernie's arm really, really hard. No word on who
> actually supplied the quote for Ernie (or for Dan Aykroyd, for that
> matter). See this from yesterday's Hollywood Reporter:
>

> by Emmet McDermott 1/29/2015 12:34pm PST
>
> Original ghostbuster Ernie Hudson has had a change of heart about an
> all-female Ghostbusters cast, calling the new line-up "phenomenal"
> after previously saying a female cast "would be a bad idea."
>
> Hudson tells The Hollywood Reporter, "Four fiercely funny, foxy,
> females busting ghosts ... phenomenal!"

Are you sure he's changed his mind? 'Cause his description of the cast
sure doesn't match the cast list that's been released to the public.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 31, 2015, 1:24:20 AM1/31/15
His cyanide pill must have been out of reach.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Your Name

Jan 31, 2015, 1:40:48 AM1/31/15
In article <54cc744f$0$36526$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Dimensional
Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 1/29/2015 10:11 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <300120151836272217%Your...@YourISP.com>,
> > Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> >> Well, you see, today they bought off or threatened Ernie Hudson. ;-)
> >
> > hee hee
> >
> > Hudson tweeted negatively about it, and in short order recanted:
> >
> > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ernie-hudson-changes-mind-all-76831
> > 0
>
> And you trust messages relayed by a bird?

Hint: Carrier pigeons. ;-)

jazzyJack

Jan 31, 2015, 5:39:53 AM1/31/15
"National City"? Is all of the geography in the DC universe so relentlessly generic? (Even "Starling City" self-identifies as a "city".)

Barry Margolin

Jan 31, 2015, 5:54:05 AM1/31/15
In article <1c601cc6-fe84-46c7...@googlegroups.com>,
jazzyJack <jazzyja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "National City"? Is all of the geography in the DC universe so relentlessly
> generic? (Even "Starling City" self-identifies as a "city".)

And then there's "Metropolis", which essentially just means "main city".

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Stan Brown

Jan 31, 2015, 7:01:56 AM1/31/15
In contrast to Smallville, which essentially just means ... well, you
can do the math.

Michael Black

Jan 31, 2015, 12:04:46 PM1/31/15
They have an inferiority complex? So since they can't/won't use real
names, they feel obligated to make sure everyone knows these are actually
cities, and not some hick towns?

Michael

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 31, 2015, 1:23:03 PM1/31/15
The pigeons _carry_ the message, not the same as _relaying_ the message.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

anim8rFSK

Jan 31, 2015, 1:49:21 PM1/31/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

Starling City
National City
Gotham City
Coast City
Central City
Metropolis City

Michael Black

Jan 31, 2015, 2:45:39 PM1/31/15
"Bottle City".

Michael

anim8rFSK

Jan 31, 2015, 5:55:58 PM1/31/15
Hah! Excellent!

Argo City!

Your Name

Jan 31, 2015, 8:53:52 PM1/31/15
In article <54cd1d84$0$36591$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Dimensional
Okay, try Carrier Parrot. ;-)

Or the message recording "bird" from The Flintstones. ;-)

Dimensional Traveler

Jan 31, 2015, 10:33:50 PM1/31/15
If they speak only in tweets then I'd consider them as reliable as the
source of Hudson's. That is to say, not at all.

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

shawn

Feb 1, 2015, 8:35:55 AM2/1/15
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:55:55 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015, anim8rFSK wrote:

>> > Starling City
>> > National City
>> > Gotham City
>> > Coast City
>> > Central City
>> > Metropolis City
>> >
>> "Bottle City".
>>
>> Michael
>
>Hah! Excellent!
>
>Argo City!

Smallville (Tiny Village)

Your Name

Feb 1, 2015, 3:24:38 PM2/1/15
In article <6tasca5f1l5nrkats...@4ax.com>, shawn
<nanof...@gNOTmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:55:55 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net>
> wrote:
> >In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> >> "Bottle City".
> >
> >Hah! Excellent!
> >
> >Argo City!
>
> Smallville (Tiny Village)

New York City ... oh, wait, that one's real. ;-)

anim8rFSK

Feb 1, 2015, 4:19:20 PM2/1/15
In article <020220150924587830%Your...@YourISP.com>,
heh

okay, in comics

Brick City (Black Lightning)
Calvin City (Golden Age Atom)
Civic City (Justice Society)
Four Heroes City (Doom Patrol)
Dakota City (Blood Syndicate)
Delta City (Doom Patrol mythos)
Empire City (Manhunter)
Fawcett City (Shazam)
Gateway City (Wonder Woman and maybe Crispus)
Gorilla City!! (Grodd)
Hidden City (Zatanna)
Hub City (Question)
Keystone City (Flash)
Midway City (Hawkman)
Midwest City (Captain Comet)
Opal City (Starman)
Park City (Black Canary)
Science City (Russia)
Solar City (Eclipso)
Star City (Green Arrow) (same as Starling City)
Zenith City (Bulleteer)
Ranx the Sentient City (Green Lantern)

other media

Edge City (Smallville)
Jump City (Teen Titans)
Steel City (Teen Titans East)
Capitol City (Superboy)

Other
Comet City (Captain Comet)
Silver City (afterlife)

A Friend

Feb 1, 2015, 4:59:09 PM2/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-41C28...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> okay, in comics
>
> Brick City (Black Lightning)
> Calvin City (Golden Age Atom)
> Civic City (Justice Society)
> Four Heroes City (Doom Patrol)
> Dakota City (Blood Syndicate)
> Delta City (Doom Patrol mythos)
> Empire City (Manhunter)
> Fawcett City (Shazam)
> Gateway City (Wonder Woman and maybe Crispus)
> Gorilla City!! (Grodd)
> Hidden City (Zatanna)
> Hub City (Question)
> Keystone City (Flash)
> Midway City (Hawkman)
> Midwest City (Captain Comet)
> Opal City (Starman)
> Park City (Black Canary)
> Science City (Russia)
> Solar City (Eclipso)
> Star City (Green Arrow) (same as Starling City)
> Zenith City (Bulleteer)
> Ranx the Sentient City (Green Lantern)

Ivy Town (The Ray Palmer Atom)

Casino Town (often used by writer Gardner Fox as a Las Vegas analogue)

Obveeus

Feb 1, 2015, 5:29:21 PM2/1/15
...but poor old Circuit City is nothing more than a ghost town.

BTR1701

Feb 1, 2015, 6:01:38 PM2/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-41C28...@news.easynews.com>,
And Kandor!

Your Name

Feb 1, 2015, 8:07:05 PM2/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-41C28...@news.easynews.com>,
<snip>

I don't think I've ever seen "Metropolis City" anywhere. I ahve seen
"the city of Metropolis", but usually it's simply called "Metropolis".

Michael Black

Feb 1, 2015, 8:10:56 PM2/1/15
There has to be some places where gangs on the lam can hangout.

And a ghost town allows for the obligatory tumble weeds.

Michael

Your Name

Feb 1, 2015, 8:12:51 PM2/1/15
In article <anim8rfsk-41C28...@news.easynews.com>,
Cloud City (Star Wars) :-)

Metro City and Astro City ... although I can't remember where I've seen
/ heard those.

Also this page has quite a few listed in a couple of sections:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_locations_of_the_DC_Universe

Michael Black

Feb 1, 2015, 8:16:36 PM2/1/15
But surely that's so nobody confuses "New York" with the state.

It's not to inflate the importance of Gotham City.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Feb 1, 2015, 9:18:44 PM2/1/15
In article <atropos-9A29EA...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
We got that at the top with "Bottle City" :)

Your Name

Feb 1, 2015, 10:49:47 PM2/1/15
Yep. The tumbleweeds with black hats are the bad guys. ;-)

Jim G.

Feb 2, 2015, 2:25:59 PM2/2/15
anim8rFSK sent the following on 01/31/2015 at 12:49 PM:
Metropolis isn't just Metropolis? Huh. Go figure.

"You cannot make yourself a verb!" -- Lana Kane, ARCHER

anim8rFSK

Feb 2, 2015, 6:41:25 PM2/2/15
In article <maoj04$b8o$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rFSK sent the following on 01/31/2015 at 12:49 PM:
> > In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> >> They have an inferiority complex? So since they can't/won't use real
> >> names, they feel obligated to make sure everyone knows these are actually
> >> cities, and not some hick towns?
> >>
> >> Michael
> >
> > Starling City
> > National City
> > Gotham City
> > Coast City
> > Central City
> > Metropolis City
>
> Metropolis isn't just Metropolis? Huh. Go figure.

"Humour"

Bill Steele

Feb 3, 2015, 2:23:19 PM2/3/15
It all started with Gotham City. They couldn't just say "Gotham" because
that IS New York. (Although they wanted to imply that it was, just as
Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.)

If you totally made up a name for a city. how would people know it was a
city? Let's say I set my comic in Furling. I'd have to refer to it as
the "City of Furling."
I suppose we could manage with XXXville, YYYtown or ZZZburg.

A Friend

Feb 3, 2015, 2:41:12 PM2/3/15
In article <sbadne-mQMq5vUzJ...@earthlink.com>, Bill
Steele <ws...@cornel.edu> wrote:

> It all started with Gotham City. They couldn't just say "Gotham" because
> that IS New York. (Although they wanted to imply that it was, just as
> Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.)

No, it wasn't. Metropolis is supposed to be New York as well. Early
stories even have Manhattan as part of Metropolis.

The Toronto thing is bullshit spawned by people who think Superman is a
Canadian creation by artist Joe Shuster, who was born in Canada but
moved away with his family when he was nine and never went back, not
even when he could have really, really used that country's health care
system. There are unverified quotes attributed to Shuster in his old
age that he tried to make Metropolis look like Toronto, etc., but in
fact the Shuster family left Toronto in 1924 because the family was
sick of being treated poorly because it was Jewish.

The very earliest Batman stories are set in New York City, and calls
the city that. At least one called Batman's city Metropolis. Decades
later, the writer/artist Frank Miller would say that Metropolis is New
York by day and Gotham is New York by night, and I think that nails it.

Dimensional Traveler

Feb 3, 2015, 6:55:34 PM2/3/15
You mean Humour City?

--
Veni, vidi, snarki.

Jim G.

Feb 3, 2015, 7:42:04 PM2/3/15
anim8rFSK sent the following on 02/02/2015 at 05:41 PM:
Grrrr. I'm not always gullible, but I'm not always not-gullible, either. :)

Your Name

Feb 3, 2015, 7:43:12 PM2/3/15
In article <54d15fd6$0$36556$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Dimensional
Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 2/2/2015 3:41 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <maoj04$b8o$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> > "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >> anim8rFSK sent the following on 01/31/2015 at 12:49 PM:

> >> Metropolis isn't just Metropolis? Huh. Go figure.
> >
> > "Humour"
>
> You mean Humour City?

SmileCity is an online rewards scheme website in New Zealand, if that
counts (http://www.smilecity.co.nz). ;-)

There's also a rather hopeless "news" website called NZ City
(http://www.nzcity.co.nz).

anim8rFSK

Feb 3, 2015, 11:04:02 PM2/3/15
In article <54d15fd6$0$36556$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

hee hee

Stan Brown

Feb 5, 2015, 6:08:29 AM2/5/15
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:23:12 -0500, Bill Steele wrote:
> It all started with Gotham City. They couldn't just say "Gotham" because
> that IS New York. (Although they wanted to imply that it was, just as
> Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.)

Superman lived in Toronto? That doesn't seem right, given how he was
basically a US soldier in World War II. Or was that an early retcon?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

A Friend

Feb 5, 2015, 9:46:02 AM2/5/15
In article <MPG.2f3d19346...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
<the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 14:23:12 -0500, Bill Steele wrote:
> > It all started with Gotham City. They couldn't just say "Gotham" because
> > that IS New York. (Although they wanted to imply that it was, just as
> > Metropolis was supposed to be Toronto.)
>

> Superman lived in Toronto? That doesn't seem right, given how he was
> basically a US soldier in World War II. Or was that an early retcon?

It's nonsense. Metropolis was New York, not Toronto. Please see my
other post.

Superman did operate in Cleveland for a short while, very early on.

Stan Brown

Feb 5, 2015, 11:49:18 AM2/5/15
That I knew -- I lived in Cleveland for many years, and the city was
proud of the Siegel-Schuster connection.

Bill Steele

Feb 5, 2015, 2:36:32 PM2/5/15
On 2/5/15 11:49 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 09:45:59 -0500, A Friend wrote:
>>
>> In article <MPG.2f3d19346...@news.individual.net>, Stan Brown
>> <the_sta...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> Superman lived in Toronto? That doesn't seem right, given how he was
>>> basically a US soldier in World War II. Or was that an early retcon?
>>

>> It's nonsense. Metropolis was New York, not Toronto. Please see my
>> other post.
>>
>> Superman did operate in Cleveland for a short while, very early on.
>
> That I knew -- I lived in Cleveland for many years, and the city was
> proud of the Siegel-Schuster connection.

They first offered the strip to the Toronto Star -- which is why in
early versions Clark Kent worked for the Star, later changed to the
Planet. The Toronto newspaper guild (or whatever it was) had a float in
a Labor Day parade saying something like "Welcome to Toronto from Clark
Kent's local." (Their Labor Day parade actually has stuff in it about
labor.)

It's certainly possible that Schuster modeled Metropolis on New York.
After all, had to have tall buildings to leap over.

As a kid,I always thought that the use of Star or Planet was a reference
to the fact that he came from a different one. Comics are full of little
asides like that.

A Friend

Feb 5, 2015, 4:14:33 PM2/5/15
In article <BsednbPYxaygW07J...@earthlink.com>, Bill
Steele <ws...@cornel.edu> wrote:

> As a kid,I always thought that the use of Star or Planet was a reference
> to the fact that he came from a different one. Comics are full of little
> asides like that.

Maybe. They had to change Star to Planet, though, because the strip
sometimes ran in papers in cities where another paper named The Star
was the competition. The only Daily Planet I know of is a paper in
Telluride, CO, where I'm sure they've already heard all the jokes.

Ken Arromdee

Feb 5, 2015, 6:09:20 PM2/5/15
In article <anim8rfsk-F1C9E...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
>> on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
>> planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago.
>Okay, so that violates every continuity she's ever had

Depends on what you mean by "escaped". If not being present counts as
having escaped, then it's in continuity.

The bigger problem from this description is that they don't or can't use
Superman. That's as stupid as having a Catwoman movie or a Birds of Prey
series which can't use Batman, or a Supergirl movie that can't use Superman.

Also, I'd really like to see Lena Thorul as a major character in this, but
probably nobody doing the writing remembers her.
--
Ken Arromdee / arromdee, at sign, atnex.net

Some fanfic writers really like listening to Evanescence, so they decide to
make all the characters fans of it. Slash fiction is the same, but with
penises instead of Evanescence.

anim8rFSK

Feb 5, 2015, 9:22:29 PM2/5/15
In article <mb0t6u$377$3...@blue-new.rahul.net>,
arro...@rahul.net (Ken Arromdee) wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-F1C9E...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
> >> The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
> >> on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
> >> planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago.
> >Okay, so that violates every continuity she's ever had
>
> Depends on what you mean by "escaped". If not being present counts as
> having escaped, then it's in continuity.

LOL! Then we *all* escaped! :D

> The bigger problem from this description is that they don't or can't use
> Superman. That's as stupid as having a Catwoman movie or a Birds of Prey
> series which can't use Batman, or a Supergirl movie that can't use Superman.

hee hee

> Also, I'd really like to see Lena Thorul as a major character in this, but
> probably nobody doing the writing remembers her.

She was a major character in Smallville.

Your Name

Feb 5, 2015, 9:38:58 PM2/5/15
In article <mb0t6u$377$3...@blue-new.rahul.net>, Ken Arromdee
<arro...@rahul.net> wrote:
> In article <anim8rfsk-F1C9E...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> The hourlong drama, which received a hefty series commitment, centers
> >> on Kara Zor-El (Benoist), Superman's cousin, who was born on the
> >> planet Krypton and escaped amid its destruction years ago.
> >
> > Okay, so that violates every continuity she's ever had
>
> Depends on what you mean by "escaped". If not being present counts as
> having escaped, then it's in continuity.
>
> The bigger problem from this description is that they don't or can't use
> Superman. That's as stupid as having a Catwoman movie or a Birds of Prey
> series which can't use Batman, or a Supergirl movie that can't use Superman.
>
> Also, I'd really like to see Lena Thorul as a major character in this, but
> probably nobody doing the writing remembers her.

Nobody doing the writing probably even knows what the "Superman"
franchise is ... the writers of Smallvile certainly didn't. It'll be
just another load of reboot / reimagine / "alternate universe" garbage
hanging off an old name where they make up a load of ill-fitting crap
to suit themselves as they go along.