Alec Baldwin is worth $60 million. But maybe not for long?

RichA

Oct 23, 2021, 3:42:22 PM10/23/21
I figure the lawsuit will run $100 million min, and although the second-tier director won't likely piggyback on the wrongful death lawsuit, the wrongful death lawsuit will likely run 9-figures if past suits are any indication. Unlike the Brandon Lee or Hexum incidents where the actors themselves fired the guns, this time the PRODUCER is responsible for the actual act, he controls everything and that is Baldwin.

David Johnston

Oct 24, 2021, 1:05:17 AM10/24/21
On 2021-10-23 1:42 p.m., RichA wrote:
> I figure the lawsuit will run $100 million min, and although the second-tier director won't likely piggyback on the wrongful death lawsuit, the wrongful death lawsuit will likely run 9-figures if past suits are any indication. Unlike the Brandon Lee or Hexum incidents where the actors themselves fired the guns, this time the PRODUCER is responsible for the actual act, he controls everything and that is Baldwin.

...in what dream world do producers control everything? Controlling the
film set is the director's job.

EGK

Oct 24, 2021, 7:44:02 AM10/24/21
Not creating a safe place to work. That's the producer. People weren't
walking off the set because of the director.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 24, 2021, 2:26:47 PM10/24/21
The director has creative control during production and until he
presents the producer with the director's cut. The producer is responsible for
hiring. How do you not know this?

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 24, 2021, 3:00:26 PM10/24/21
super70s <supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>One wonders why an actor of Baldwin's stature was so heavily involved as
>actor and producer in what appears to be a low budget "shoot-em-up" at
>this stage in his career, name brand actors usually only appear in low
>budget "indies" when it's a part in a serious drama that appeals to them.

Why wouldn't he? He wanted to do a Western. He wasn't being offered one,
so in order to be the star, he also had to produce it.

That's the joy of being rich. It gives you freedom to indulge yourself.

But if you're going to be producer, it also comes with the added
responsibility of ensuring the safety and well being of everyone on that
movie set. That's the bit he didn't want to do.

David Johnston

Oct 24, 2021, 5:07:46 PM10/24/21
Most producer credits are purely honorary, indicating only that the
"producer" lined up a significant amount of the funding.

David Johnston

Oct 24, 2021, 6:24:45 PM10/24/21
Except that Baldwin is not "the" producer. He's one of six people who
are "producers", five of whom you've never heard of but who actually
have the experience running film productions that Baldwin doesn't.
Baldwin gets the production credit for helping to come up with idea and
using his famous name and contacts to get people to greenlight the
project not for actually doing the work of the producer. He didn't hire
the caterers or pick locations.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 24, 2021, 10:17:24 PM10/24/21
David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>On 2021-10-24 12:26 p.m., Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>second-tier director won't likely piggyback on the wrongful death
>lawsuit, the wrongful death lawsuit will likely run 9-figures if past
>suits are any indication. Unlike the Brandon Lee or Hexum incidents
>where the actors themselves fired the guns, this time the PRODUCER is
>responsible for the actual act, he controls everything and that is
>Baldwin.
>>
>>> ...in what dream world do producers control everything? Controlling the
>>> film set is the director's job.
>>
>> The director has creative control during production and until he
>> presents the producer with the director's cut. The producer is responsible for
>> hiring. How do you not know this?
>>

>Except that Baldwin is not "the" producer.

Where the hell did you find that? It wasn't in any of the news stories I
saw.

>He's one of six people who
>are "producers", five of whom you've never heard of but who actually
>have the experience running film productions that Baldwin doesn't.

>Baldwin gets the production credit for helping to come up with idea and
>using his famous name and contacts to get people to greenlight the
>project not for actually doing the work of the producer. He didn't hire
>the caterers or pick locations.

If he wants the title, then he gets to be liable.

anim8rfsk

Oct 24, 2021, 11:10:01 PM10/24/21
Quit making me defend Johnston.

According to Ian’s IMDb article on rust, there are 12 producers, executive
producers, and coproducers including Baldwin.

Actors are routinely given producer credits that are meaningless to boost
their egos or as a way of giving them extra money without violating other
contracts. Like on Dallas, where Larry Hagman said they had to make him a
producer because they couldn’t give him any more money for acting (I think
he had a favored nations contract with Patrick Ewing at that point)

I suspect a “no duties” title would come with a “no liability” clause.

David Johnston

Oct 24, 2021, 11:32:43 PM10/24/21
On 2021-10-24 8:17 p.m., Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> David Johnston <davidjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> second-tier director won't likely piggyback on the wrongful death
>> lawsuit, the wrongful death lawsuit will likely run 9-figures if past
>> suits are any indication. Unlike the Brandon Lee or Hexum incidents
>> where the actors themselves fired the guns, this time the PRODUCER is
>> responsible for the actual act, he controls everything and that is
>> Baldwin.

>>> The director has creative control during production and until he
>>> presents the producer with the director's cut. The producer is responsible for
>>> hiring. How do you not know this?
>>>

>> Except that Baldwin is not "the" producer.
>
> Where the hell did you find that? It wasn't in any of the news stories I
> saw.

I looked up the movie itself of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_(upcoming_film)

Produced by
Alec Baldwin
Matt DelPiano
Ryan Donnell Smith
Anjul Nigam
Ryan Winterstern
Nathan Klingher

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 25, 2021, 12:11:18 AM10/25/21
Sigh.

Where the hell does it say "I have producer title but no responsibility
whatsover"?

trotsky

Oct 25, 2021, 4:51:24 AM10/25/21
Executive producers supply the money, producers aid in the production,
and associate producers are an honorary credit. Good guess though.

moviePig

Oct 25, 2021, 1:54:21 PM10/25/21
Such a clause might protect him from liability as a 'producer', but,
e.g., personal liability (if any) would seem to remain in play.

The Horny Goat

Oct 25, 2021, 11:50:10 PM10/25/21
On Sun, 24 Oct 2021 12:04:37 -0500, super70s
<supe...@super70s.invalid> wrote:

>One wonders why an actor of Baldwin's stature was so heavily involved as
>actor and producer in what appears to be a low budget "shoot-em-up" at
>this stage in his career, name brand actors usually only appear in low
>budget "indies" when it's a part in a serious drama that appeals to them.

There are plenty of actors who have done a credible job of directing.
One of my favorite directors is Clint Eastwood and I would consider
Million Dollar Baby, Pale Rider and Gran Torino as 3 of his best
either as an actor or in any other role.

(Of course I'm enough of a fan to enjoy the fact that he did "are you
feeling lucky punk" twice - once with one bullet in his gun and once
with an empty pistol)

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 26, 2021, 8:57:18 PM10/26/21
AP thinks you're wrong, Johnston.

Potential legal woes mount after 'Rust' shooting tragedy
By STEFANIE DAZIO, LINDSEY BAHR and ANTHONY MCCARTNEY
AP
October 26, 2021
https://apnews.com/article/prop-gun-shooting-liability-alec-baldwin-c6f9c871799aed127967a8e893e4b6fd

David Johnston

Nov 16, 2021, 9:13:48 PM11/16/21
That article doesn't say a damn thing about what Alec Baldwin's role as
"producer" was. It does however say that I understated just how many
"producers" that messy project had what with the four executive
producers, the line producer and the co-producer.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 16, 2021, 9:32:28 PM11/16/21
You really do have a reading comprehension problem. Every person named
as producer is going to be named as co-defendant. The plaintiffs will
claim each is responsible till they can wriggle off the hook.

David Johnston

Nov 17, 2021, 2:39:43 PM11/17/21
I'm sure they will. But that doesn't change the fact that Alec Baldwin
is not "the" producer and was not responsible for hiring much less
supervising how the set was run. What's more having the liability
divided that many ways is going to also divide the financial burden of
the eventual settlement

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 17, 2021, 8:27:46 PM11/17/21
Where do you come up with that? If he had input, like approval of the
other producers, then he was responsible.

If you just make shit up like that, you don't win Usenet.

David Johnston

Nov 17, 2021, 8:42:29 PM11/17/21
There is no reason to think he had input.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 17, 2021, 9:13:09 PM11/17/21
There is no reason to think he didn't. There is no reason to think you
won't just stop making shit up.

moviePig

Nov 17, 2021, 10:43:14 PM11/17/21
No reason, but lots of motive.

David Johnston

Nov 19, 2021, 1:02:43 AM11/19/21
Yeah there is. He wasn't the executive producer. He was just a big
name with a script he got a guy to write him that he shopped around.

connie rahim

Mar 10, 2023, 8:11:34 AM3/10/23
usenet is dead man