And just like that I have HBO

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 4:37:08 PM9/24/21
20 channels of HBO and MAX just unlocked themselves. Is there a free
preview going or something?

What should I watch?

Ian J. Ball

Sep 24, 2021, 5:03:30 PM9/24/21
On 2021-09-24 20:37:05 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> 20 channels of HBO and MAX just unlocked themselves. Is there a free
> preview going or something?
>
> What should I watch?

Really? I wonder if you now get HBO Max?! I'm guessing not.

I'll have to go home as see if I suddlenly have Cinemax...

What should you watch?... I would recommend "Chernobyl". I also like
GoT, but that's a lot to get through if it's just a free preview
weekend!

moviePig

Sep 24, 2021, 6:11:26 PM9/24/21
On 9/24/2021 4:37 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> 20 channels of HBO and MAX just unlocked themselves. Is there a free
> preview going or something?
>
> What should I watch?

HBO. You've already seen everything on Max.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 7:07:25 PM9/24/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-24 20:37:05 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> 20 channels of HBO and MAX just unlocked themselves. Is there a free
>> preview going or something?
>>
>> What should I watch?
>
> Really? I wonder if you now get HBO Max?! I'm guessing not.
>
> I'll have to go home as see if I suddlenly have Cinemax...
>
> What should you watch?... I would recommend "Chernobyl". I also like
> GoT, but that's a lot to get through if it's just a free preview
> weekend!

What I’m getting is the 20 channels of HBO and Max that are on the regular
guide on the DVR. HBO max is an app. I suppose I could give it a try.
I can’t record, but anything I click launch is on demand and the show comes
up now even if it’s not scheduled for days yet.
The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in Spanish
with no English options. Yet it’s an English on the iPhone but I don’t
really wanna watch it that way.
So I clicked wonder woman 84. That came up in English so I’ve been watching
it for the last several hours. It’s an absolutely terrible film.

Ed Stasiak

Sep 24, 2021, 7:30:56 PM9/24/21
> anim8rfsk
>
> The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in Spanish
> with no English options.

Doesn’t really matter, in fact the movie is probably better in Spanish…

> So I clicked wonder woman 84.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/f2/cc/f7f2cc20b4ffbd0c66d842af17e574e7.gif

Why not watch something like Deadwood, The Wire or The Sopranos?

> That came up in English so I’ve been watching it for the last several hours.

Several HOURS?!

> It’s an absolutely terrible film.

$200 million worth of terrible.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 24, 2021, 7:50:36 PM9/24/21
On 2021-09-24 23:30:54 +0000, Ed Stasiak said:

>> anim8rfsk
>>
>> The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in
>> Spanish> with no English options.
>
> Doesn’t really matter, in fact the movie is probably better in Spanish…

Yeah, of the three recent "Godzilla" movies, I thought this one was by
far the weakest.

>> So I clicked wonder woman 84.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/f2/cc/f7f2cc20b4ffbd0c66d842af17e574e7.gif
>
> Why not watch something like Deadwood, The Wire or The Sopranos?
>
>> That came up in English so I’ve been watching it for the last several hours.
>
> Several HOURS?!
>
>> It’s an absolutely terrible film.
>
> $200 million worth of terrible.

Yeah, WW84 is a movie where I like the opening sequence, and the rest
of the film is pretty crappy. It has low rewatch value.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 8:01:44 PM9/24/21
Da Shadow is part of the free weekend.

So is The Stunt Man

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 8:01:45 PM9/24/21
Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk
>>
>> The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in Spanish
>> with no English options.
>
> Doesn’t really matter, in fact the movie is probably better in Spanish…

Heh

>> So I clicked wonder woman 84.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/f2/cc/f7f2cc20b4ffbd0c66d842af17e574e7.gif
>
> Why not watch something like Deadwood, The Wire or The Sopranos?

I don’t know if any of that’s available. So far all I found is a list of
movies.

>> That came up in English so I’ve been watching it for the last several hours.
>
> Several HOURS?!

It sure felt like it. I was past the two hour mark at that point with a
half an hour to go. And I had to take several breaks because the stupidity
was building up and I needed to get away from it. What a terrible, sloppy
film.

>> It’s an absolutely terrible film.
>
> $200 million worth of terrible.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 8:01:46 PM9/24/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-24 23:30:54 +0000, Ed Stasiak said:
>

>>> anim8rfsk
>>>
>>> The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in
>>> Spanish> with no English options.
>>
>> Doesn’t really matter, in fact the movie is probably better in Spanish…
>
> Yeah, of the three recent "Godzilla" movies, I thought this one was by
> far the weakest.
>
>>> So I clicked wonder woman 84.
>>
>> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/f2/cc/f7f2cc20b4ffbd0c66d842af17e574e7.gif
>>
>> Why not watch something like Deadwood, The Wire or The Sopranos?
>>
>>> That came up in English so I’ve been watching it for the last several hours.
>>
>> Several HOURS?!
>>
>>> It’s an absolutely terrible film.
>>
>> $200 million worth of terrible.
>
> Yeah, WW84 is a movie where I like the opening sequence, and the rest
> of the film is pretty crappy. It has low rewatch value.

I spent the whole thing wondering out loud why stuff happened. Like where
does she get the Artemis armor? Last we saw it was back in her apartment.
Why does she get healed and her powers back by renouncing Steve? The reason
she was losing her powers was that she was siphoning them off. Why doesn’t
Christopher Pellana recognize her at the end? He knew her before Steve took
him over. And why is it Christmas when it was the Fourth of July before?
They make a big deal about getting a plane that can fly from Washington DC
to Cairo without refueling and they picked that fighter jet? I don’t think
so. Stuff is routinely going the wrong way and being behind them when it
should be in front of them just because the Director thought it made a
better shot.

Ed Stasiak

Sep 24, 2021, 8:13:49 PM9/24/21
> Ian J. Ball
> > Ed Stasiak
> >
> > Doesn’t really matter, in fact the movie is probably better in Spanish…
>
> Yeah, of the three recent "Godzilla" movies, I thought this one was by
> far the weakest.

The giant monsters punching each other and smashing shit is cool
(and unlike the earlier movies, not hidden by CGI rain) but any scene
with humans is shit.

https://i.postimg.cc/wM53vqbt/1620476623129.png
https://ibb.co/d5KzRBq

Ian J. Ball

Sep 24, 2021, 8:14:08 PM9/24/21
On 2021-09-24 23:07:22 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-09-24 20:37:05 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> 20 channels of HBO and MAX just unlocked themselves. Is there a free
>>> preview going or something?
>>>
>>> What should I watch?
>>
>> Really? I wonder if you now get HBO Max?! I'm guessing not.
>>
>> I'll have to go home as see if I suddlenly have Cinemax...
>>
>> What should you watch?... I would recommend "Chernobyl". I also like
>> GoT, but that's a lot to get through if it's just a free preview
>> weekend!
>
> What I’m getting is the 20 channels of HBO and Max that are on the regular
> guide on the DVR.

No Cinemax for me - I checked. But Spectrum never gets free HBO preview
weekends (I get HBO through my cable package anyway), so I'm never
going to get free Cinemax, like, *ever*.

> HBO max is an app. I suppose I could give it a try.
> I can’t record, but anything I click launch is on demand and the show comes
> up now even if it’s not scheduled for days yet.

You should have access to the HBO (and the Cinemax) "OnDemand" channel
if this is a cable "free" preview weekend.

When I had free preview weekends before, I usually just went straight
to the OnDemand channel...

> The first thing I clicked was Godzilla Versus Kong but it was in Spanish
> with no English options. Yet it’s an English on the iPhone but I don’t
> really wanna watch it that way.
> So I clicked wonder woman 84. That came up in English so I’ve been watching
> it for the last several hours. It’s an absolutely terrible film.

Dimensional Traveler

Sep 24, 2021, 9:49:41 PM9/24/21
In other words, a typical Hollywood production.

dirty old man.

anim8rfsk

Sep 24, 2021, 11:56:09 PM9/24/21
I’d say that was a fair review. I made it a couple hours in before I fell
asleep. I’ll make it back and see the end before the preview weekends done.

anim8rfsk

Sep 25, 2021, 12:42:39 AM9/25/21
Yeah, when I click on some thing on HBO and it gives me the watch now
option it goes through on demand. Some stuff is recordable, some launches
on demand, some can’t be viewed except live. It’s very annoying. The new on
demand interface is so odd that I just don’t ever use it at all. And I
don’t have access to HBO max.

Pulling up on demand.
It no longer seems to offer me HBO. Instead it asks if I want to watch
black, Latino, gay, or Asian Pacific shows.
There is a networks choice but the first click on it… Well that’s
interesting. It’s telling me about the free preview of HBO max that started
a couple days ago. The app doesn’t work by “HBO max on demand“ does.
So I push that button…
Jesus fucking Christ. Pushing the “free“ button lead you to a second button
that says “subscribe“
I don’t think I’ll push that button
My next choice under networks is in Spanish
And those are my only two choices under networks
The big problem is, this is all like Amazon prime, and half the stuff costs
money, and half dozen, and it’s all mixed together trying to trick you and
accidentally dropping a dime on them.
There is a Cinemax channel but it also forces me to subscribe before I can
even see what they offer.
The best I can do is they have a half a dozen free samples.

trotsky

Sep 25, 2021, 6:01:23 AM9/25/21
Is that his boyfriend?

TeeJay1952

Sep 26, 2021, 8:35:44 AM9/26/21
Quirky obsevational humor -Hacks, Other Two
Politics the way it used to be West Wing
Violence and drama nudity
Sopronos, Banshee, Boardwalk Empire
Excellent Cartoons Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter X Hunter

Tee(Love Me Some Max!)Jay

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2021, 5:57:34 AM9/29/21
Current list of stuff I’m watching or recording

You can tell that I am falling behind and fast

At some point this preview is going to end and I suppose all those things
set to record will just vanish or error out

So what did I find to watch?

Not nearly as much as I hoped.

Wonder Woman 84 (2020)
Well this was just terrible chock-full of rookie mistakes with things being
behind people that out to be in front of them and everything moving in the
wrong direction all the time. I spent most of it saying “what the hell“
like where did she get the Artemis suit which she had left behind in her
apartment?
The best part of the entire thing was the mid End credits cameo.

Underwater (2020)
An absolute mess of a movie starring Kristen Stewart who buzz cut and
bleached her hair which is too bad because her hair was her best feature. A
blatant alien rip off set, well, underwater. To add insult to injury HBO
cut off the entire end and I had to go to Ian‘s Wikipedia to even find out
what happened and a lot happened at the end. The part I sat through was all
people running around underwater in the dark timted green for some reason.

Tenet (2020)
In the not too distant future (OK, 2030) the evil bad guy has decided he
wants to destroy the world back in 2020 so he invented time travel and
sends objects and people backward where they continue to move backward
through time driving cars backward and getting cold in fire and stuff.
None of it makes a lick of sense, speaking of absolute mess of movies. But
it’s attractive to look at and lots of stuff blows up real good.

Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
The best of the movies I found on the free preview. It still doesn’t look
as good as men in suits though. I like all the subtle references to the old
movies including the old King Kong versus Godzilla. And I really wasn’t
expecting Pellucidar much less Mechagodzilla!

The Sopranos (2000) S02E07 “D-Girl”
The DVR grabbed this automagically because it had Alicia Witt in it. OK,
so, now I’ve seen an episode of The Sopranos. I was not impressed. It was
humorous to see Jon Favreau playing himself before he had gold with Iron
Man.

Greenland (2020)
Comet stomps Earth. They really should just make Larry Niven’s LUCIFER’S
HAMMER and be done with it. I watched it because Morena Baccarin. But it
was just silly because who would possibly cheat on her?

Lay the Favorite (2012)
In Las Vegas a cute hooker tries to go straight by working for Bruce
Willis‘s betting company. Really more in the line of something that would
make a decent TV movie. A good cast including a completely unrecognizable
Catherine Zeta Jones. It’s sort of amazing that you just let people run
around carrying $80,000 in cash routinely. The hooker was also in Godzilla
versus Kong!

The Presidio (1988)
Just starting this now. And very wide screen, the image is absolutely
gorgeous. Apparently it was a 70 mm release in the theaters although I
don’t know how it was sourced. I haven’t seen this in decades and I’m gonna
really enjoy it if only for the picture quality. Also it’s almost 35 years
old and it’s fun to see Mark Harmon when he was in his early 60s.

The Aviator (2004)

Take Me Home Tonight (2011)
The DVR grabbed this because it was looking for Nathalie Kelley to record
“the fast and the furious” movies

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

Phantom (2013)
Submarine movie about a Russian sub with a great all American cast. Cinemax
is running it in the wrong aspect ratio. Idiots.
Apparently filmed on a real submarine in the Sandy Eggo Maritime Museum.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/b-39-submarine/

Executive Decision (1996)
Certainly Steven Seagal’s best movie; possibly Halle Berry’s as well.

Imposter (2002)

Equilibrium (2002)

Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
see.

The invisible man (2020)

2 fast 2 furious (2003)

Hostage (2005)

Vanilla sky (2000) In Spanish

Last Knights (2015)
This is just silly. I guess it supposed to be very woke. Some medieval set
up where the royalty is Asian and the underclass are all white guys with
different metric accents except for Morgan Freeman. The short answer is,
it’s just a Robin Hood and or Ivanhoe rip. In some sort of snow covered
kingdom that never existed the sheriff of Nottingham has 2000 guards
protecting him in case Robin comes back and the top level of nobleman is 2
million strong. I gave up maybe half an hour in and went and read the
Wikipedia plot description to see if I was going to miss anything if I
stuck with it and they clearly wasn’t so I bailed. You have to work hard to
get me to skip medieval night stuff.

In the heart of the sea (2015)

The aviator (which I already recorded once)

darkness falls (2003)

King Kong (2005)

Gone (2012)

Underwater (I padded it out 30 minutes at the end so maybe I’ll get to see
it all)
OK so the first time I saw it they cut off at least 20 minutes. This time
it would’ve been truncated again as well but I patted it way out.
So I got to see the entire ending where they ripped off a lien two and
three as well. The major difference is that Sigourney Weaver looked great
running around in her underwear and Kristen Stewart not so much. IMDb
points out lots of goofs and boy are they right. I also boosted the image
on the plasma through the roof so I could actually see what was going on
which helped a lot. A ridiculous amount of colored flashing lights and
explosions all going off with no explanation.

The fast and the furious (2001)

The new mutants (2020)

Proof of life (2000)

STILL TO RECORD:

The seeker: the dark is rising (2007)

King Kong (1976)

Can you keep a secret (2019)

Can you keep a secret (2019) a second time, hey, it’s hi ho the Dario

Mr. nobody (2013)

Flawless (2007)

Summer school (1987)

Serving Sara (2002)

Ian J. Ball

Sep 29, 2021, 8:48:17 AM9/29/21
On 2021-09-29 09:57:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Current list of stuff I’m watching or recording
>
> You can tell that I am falling behind and fast
>
> At some point this preview is going to end and I suppose all those things
> set to record will just vanish or error out
>
> So what did I find to watch?
>
> [snip]
> Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
> see.
>
> 2 fast 2 furious (2003)

OMG, you're going to *hate* this! - It's by far the worst F&F flick!

> Vanilla sky (2000) In Spanish

Just delete that - no point if it's not in English.

> darkness falls (2003)

Horror flick, starring... Emma Caulfield!! - I predict you'll hate it!!

> Gone (2012)

This is one of my guilty pleasure flicks - I like it a lot more than I
probably should... Hey, it's NCIS Bishop when she was a "baby"!! ;)

> The fast and the furious (2001)

I doubt you'll like this!!

> The new mutants (2020)

I actually liked this one, but I'm a sucker for, A) X-Men stuff, and B)
Anya Taylor-Joy!! ;)

> Proof of life (2000)

I last saw this in the theater in 2000!

> STILL TO RECORD:
>

> The seeker: the dark is rising (2007)

I think I've been told to see this(?...).

> Can you keep a secret (2019) a second time, hey, it’s hi ho the Dario

I've seen this - it's just OK.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2021, 9:48:55 AM9/29/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-29 09:57:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Current list of stuff I’m watching or recording
>>
>> You can tell that I am falling behind and fast
>>
>> At some point this preview is going to end and I suppose all those things
>> set to record will just vanish or error out
>>
>> So what did I find to watch?
>>
>> [snip]
>> Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
>> see.
>>
>> 2 fast 2 furious (2003)
>
> OMG, you're going to *hate* this! - It's by far the worst F&F flick!

Lol

>> Vanilla sky (2000) In Spanish
>
> Just delete that - no point if it's not in English.

I’ve seen it anyway. Alicia Witt.

>> darkness falls (2003)
>
> Horror flick, starring... Emma Caulfield!! - I predict you'll hate it!!

I watched about five minutes of it. You were right.

>> Gone (2012)
>
> This is one of my guilty pleasure flicks - I like it a lot more than I
> probably should... Hey, it's NCIS Bishop when she was a "baby"!! ;)

Yeah, I added that one manually because bishop.

>> The fast and the furious (2001)
>
> I doubt you'll like this!!

Is it the first one? I’ve been waiting to start with the first one.

>> The new mutants (2020)
>
> I actually liked this one, but I'm a sucker for, A) X-Men stuff, and B)
> Anya Taylor-Joy!! ;)

I caught some of it. Not sure what I think about Lockheed being a hand
puppet.

>> Proof of life (2000)
>
> I last saw this in the theater in 2000!

It’s not the only movie on the list from the 20th century.

>> STILL TO RECORD:
>>

>> The seeker: the dark is rising (2007)
>
> I think I've been told to see this(?...).

It sounded like it might be goofy fun

>> Can you keep a secret (2019) a second time, hey, it’s hi ho the Dario
>
> I've seen this - it's just OK.

I’ll probably only watch it once then. :-)
I let both recordings run in case they screw up one which Cinemax seems to
do a lot. These are on different channels.

Thanks for the feedback!

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2021, 10:55:04 AM9/29/21
Somewhere during the night the free preview came to an ignominious end. So
none of the still to record stuff made it.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 29, 2021, 11:20:56 AM9/29/21
On 2021-09-29 13:48:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2021-09-29 09:57:27 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> Current list of stuff I’m watching or recording
>>>
>>> You can tell that I am falling behind and fast
>>>
>>> At some point this preview is going to end and I suppose all those things
>>> set to record will just vanish or error out
>>>
>>> So what did I find to watch?
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>> Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
>>> see.
>>>
>>> 2 fast 2 furious (2003)
>>
>> OMG, you're going to *hate* this! - It's by far the worst F&F flick!
>
> Lol
>
>>> darkness falls (2003)
>>
>> Horror flick, starring... Emma Caulfield!! - I predict you'll hate it!!
>
> I watched about five minutes of it. You were right.

I watched it years ago - I think I thought it was OK... but I think I
really didn't like the ending.

It's not interesting enough for me to rewatch to find out (unless it
coincidentally airs when I need some background noise!! - I just
watched the last half of "Byzantium" on Showtime Women yesterday that
way!! ;> )

>>> The fast and the furious (2001)
>>
>> I doubt you'll like this!!
>
> Is it the first one? I’ve been waiting to start with the first one.

Yes - this is the first one.

>>> The new mutants (2020)
>>
>> I actually liked this one, but I'm a sucker for, A) X-Men stuff, and B)
>> Anya Taylor-Joy!! ;)
>
> I caught some of it. Not sure what I think about Lockheed being a hand
> puppet.

'Cos Anya's cuckoo-crazy in this!! ;)

>>> STILL TO RECORD:
>>>

>>> The seeker: the dark is rising (2007)
>>
>> I think I've been told to see this(?...).
>
> It sounded like it might be goofy fun
>
>>> Can you keep a secret (2019) a second time, hey, it’s hi ho the Dario
>>
>> I've seen this - it's just OK.
>
> I’ll probably only watch it once then. :-)

Yeah - to put this in perspective: I greatly preferred "Layover" (which
I've come to have an embarassed fondness for) to this flick. I think I
even preferred "When We First Met" to this...

> I let both recordings run in case they screw up one which Cinemax seems to
> do a lot. These are on different channels.

I wish I still got Cinemax... :(

Ian J. Ball

Sep 29, 2021, 11:22:07 AM9/29/21
On 2021-09-29 14:54:56 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Somewhere during the night the free preview came to an ignominious end. So
> none of the still to record stuff made it.

Based on the list below, you're not missing anything (unless "The
Seeker..." is any good...).

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2021, 11:35:26 AM9/29/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-29 14:54:56 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> Somewhere during the night the free preview came to an ignominious end. So
>> none of the still to record stuff made it.
>
> Based on the list below, you're not missing anything (unless "The
> Seeker..." is any good...).

Will probably never know.
I’ve always liked summer school. Never saw it on cable though just regular
TV. I saw the 1976 Kong in the theater. The rest of it would’ve been new to
me.

anim8rfsk

Sep 29, 2021, 11:35:26 AM9/29/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2021-09-29 13:48:50 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> OMG, you're going to *hate* this! - It's by far the worst F&F flick!

I think I have three total on the DVR now including the first and the
worst!

>> Lol

>>> Horror flick, starring... Emma Caulfield!! - I predict you'll hate it!!
>>
>> I watched about five minutes of it. You were right.
>
> I watched it years ago - I think I thought it was OK... but I think I
> really didn't like the ending.
>
> It's not interesting enough for me to rewatch to find out (unless it
> coincidentally airs when I need some background noise!! - I just
> watched the last half of "Byzantium" on Showtime Women yesterday that
> way!! ;> )

>>> I doubt you'll like this!!
>>
>> Is it the first one? I’ve been waiting to start with the first one.
>
> Yes - this is the first one.

Wah-hooo!

>>> I actually liked this one, but I'm a sucker for, A) X-Men stuff, and B)
>>> Anya Taylor-Joy!! ;)
>>
>> I caught some of it. Not sure what I think about Lockheed being a hand
>> puppet.
>
> 'Cos Anya's cuckoo-crazy in this!! ;)

I got that impression.

>>> I think I've been told to see this(?...).
>>
>> It sounded like it might be goofy fun

>>> I've seen this - it's just OK.
>>
>> I’ll probably only watch it once then. :-)
>
> Yeah - to put this in perspective: I greatly preferred "Layover" (which
> I've come to have an embarassed fondness for) to this flick. I think I
> even preferred "When We First Met" to this...

I’d be thumbs up on both of those valves as long as you’re high hold a
Dario fan.

>> I let both recordings run in case they screw up one which Cinemax seems to
>> do a lot. These are on different channels.
>
> I wish I still got Cinemax... :(

Well, now I don’t anymore either.

Ed Stasiak

Sep 30, 2021, 7:07:23 PM9/30/21
> anim8rfsk
>
> Wonder Woman 84 (2020)
> The best part of the entire thing was the mid End credits cameo.

What was it again? I've mostly forgotten the movie as it was so bad.

> Tenet (2020)

I couldn't finish this movie, time travel is WAY overused nowadays
so I went into it with already low expectations.

> Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
> And I really wasn’t expecting Pellucidar much less Mechagodzilla!

How about Godzilla blasting a hole TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
with his monster breath, which King Kong then climbs up in a couple
of minutes?

https://i.postimg.cc/kGMtHb3F/Paulie-Walnuts.gif
https://ibb.co/BytGWsH

> Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
> Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

You should check out Tarantino’s “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”,
it’s his 2nd best flick after “Pulp Fiction” IMO.

> King Kong (2005)

Great movie and the extended directors cut is even better.

> King Kong (1976)

I saw this in the theater when it came out and still think it’s quite
a good movie. Also, Jessica Lange was hot as fuck back then.

anim8rfsk

Sep 30, 2021, 7:44:25 PM9/30/21
Ed Stasiak <edstas...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> anim8rfsk
>>
>> Wonder Woman 84 (2020)
>> The best part of the entire thing was the mid End credits cameo.
>
> What was it again? I've mostly forgotten the movie as it was so bad.

Lynda Carter appeared as Artemis.

>> Tenet (2020)
>
> I couldn't finish this movie, time travel is WAY overused nowadays
> so I went into it with already low expectations.

Honestly no part of it makes sense and the big surprise ending I had
figured out about an hour earlier so it’s sort it doesn’t matter if you
finish watching it or not.

>> Godzilla vs Kong (2021)
>> And I really wasn’t expecting Pellucidar much less Mechagodzilla!
>
> How about Godzilla blasting a hole TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH
> with his monster breath, which King Kong then climbs up in a couple
> of minutes?

After all the endless X position about how incredibly difficult it was
going to be to get to the center of the earth and gravity reversal and
everything.

>> The Sopranos (2000) S02E07 “D-Girl”
>> he watches a random episode from the second season…
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/kGMtHb3F/Paulie-Walnuts.gif
> https://ibb.co/BytGWsH
>
>> Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)
>> Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
>
> You should check out Tarantino’s “Once Upon A Time In Hollywood”,
> it’s his 2nd best flick after “Pulp Fiction” IMO.

Cool

>> King Kong (2005)
>
> Great movie and the extended directors cut is even better.

I’ve seen it. I enjoyed it quite a bit although I thought it was overly
long and almost grayed out when the tea Rex was swinging from vines and the
crevasse. That just went on way too long. But I thought it was worth
re-watch.

>> King Kong (1976)
>
> I saw this in the theater when it came out and still think it’s quite
> a good movie. Also, Jessica Lange was hot as fuck back then.

Oh yes
I too saw it opening night and the theater. The Rick Baker ape suit stuff
was great. The million dollar full-size Kong was just embarrassing. But
there’s some good actors and beautiful photography and an excellent music
score. Pretty much everything Dino DeLaurentis had nothing to do with was
great. The stories of the crap that went on behind the scenes are amazing.
Like the giant hand, Dino insisted they had to have Italians pulling the
cables that move the fingers and they didn’t speak English and the Director
didn’t speak Italian so they had to have intermediate translators for each
bloody cable operator.

moviePig

Sep 30, 2021, 11:30:46 PM9/30/21
An early form of digital f/x...

Ian J. Ball

Oct 2, 2021, 5:18:13 PM10/2/21
On 2021-09-29 15:35:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Somewhere during the night the free preview came to an ignominious end. So
>>> none of the still to record stuff made it.
>>
>> Based on the list below, you're not missing anything (unless "The
>> Seeker..." is any good...).
>
> Will probably never know.

"The Seeker..." is on HBO Max. If I find some time, I may try to check
it out...

Ian J. Ball

Oct 2, 2021, 5:19:40 PM10/2/21
On 2021-10-02 21:18:09 +0000, Ian J. Ball said:

> On 2021-09-29 15:35:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Based on the list below, you're not missing anything (unless "The
>>> Seeker..." is any good...).
>>
>> Will probably never know.
>
> "The Seeker..." is on HBO Max. If I find some time, I may try to check
> it out...

Geez - it also has "Fun Size" which is supposed to be the worst
Victoria Justice movie ever!!

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2021, 11:09:04 PM10/2/21
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>Geez - it also has "Fun Size" which is supposed to be the worst
>Victoria Justice movie ever!!

Thanks for reminding me of a movie I'd put out of mind. Didn't I post a
review of that? I'm not sure I've seen her in a movie that was
entertaining.

anim8rfsk

Jun 18, 2022, 10:53:52 PM6/18/22
[...]

This was a good movie. Another one from executive producer Harvey
Weinstein! A lot of good actors on their game pretending to be various
historical figures and clearly having a ball doing it. Although they did
have to pretty much announce who everybody was because you wouldn’t of
known otherwise.
It all looks great. The special effects are excellent although the planes
did look a little too pretty to be real but then that’s acceptable in the
movie called The Aviator. Or maybe it’s just called Aviator. The opening
and end credits are different.
I have no idea if a word of it is true. It seems sort of odd how fast he
deteriorated and how easily he bounced back when he needed to and then
slipped away again. Alan Alda plays the bad guy and I’m not sure if he was
that stupid or that evil or both or what.
At three hours it is a bit long and I had to take breaks but I was more
anxious to get back to it that I am with most films these days.
It would’ve been nice if it had one of those endings that told you what
happened to all the characters. Like Alan Alda died in prison and Alec
Baldwin died when his constellation went down.
Thumbs definitely up, and this would be OK in one of Arthur’s film
festivals with the Rocketeer.

Phantom (2013)
Submarine movie about a Russian sub with a great all American cast. Cinemax
is running it in the wrong aspect ratio. Idiots.
Apparently filmed on a real submarine in the Sandy Eggo Maritime Museum.

https://sdmaritime.org/visit/the-ships/b-39-submarine/

Executive Decision (1996)
Certainly Steven Seagal’s best movie; possibly Halle Berry’s as well.

Imposter (2002)
They took a book by Philip K Dick and expanded it into a 40 minute mini
movie and then expanded it again into a full length movie and wondered why
it didn’t make a lot of sense. Cost $40 million, grossed 8 million
worldwide.
A solid cast but it just turned into a chase for most of it and then sprang
the surprise ending which had been obvious for about 10 minutes and then
sprang the double surprise ending which had been obvious for about 80
minutes. Gary Sinise and Madeline Stowe are wasted and Vincent D’Onofrio
pretty much plays a prototype of his law and order character. They use the
word “replicant” a lot hoping to cash in on blade runner goodwill
apparently.

Equilibrium (2002)
In the not too distant future, a future that is incredibly poorly thought
out and scripted, super cleric Christian Bale is charged with destroying
anything that might rouse your emotions. So when they find the Mona Lisa as
soon as they verify that it’s the original they have to burn it because
apparently the original will rouse your emotions but a print won’t.
Everybody has to take this drug to suppress their emotions which makes you
wonder why they have to destroy anything that would rouse your emotions if
the drug works. Somehow you get your daily dose in an extremely fragile
glass capsule that if you drop it shatters into a million pieces and then
you have to go wait for hours in line to get a replacement and if you just
skip that dose you immediately go insane and start rescuing puppy dogs and
murdering cops. What could possibly go wrong?
The accused walk willingly into disintegration machines just like Star Trek
with doors that don’t quite close so you can see them and time locks that
can’t be disengaged or the turbines will explode at street level. What a
fine design.
Having relations with a female is a crime which makes you wonder what he
was doing with his wife all those years. His wife is played by two
different actresses because when they went to film her later scenes they
couldn’t find the first one. His partner gives an impassioned speech
shouting about how Bale is feeling.
There’s a double or a triple or quadruple or quintuple cross at the end
that’s just laughable. None of it could’ve been predicted by the audience.
People and weapons appear out of nowhere like CSI Horatio. Extra foes are
hiding behind pillars where they can’t be seen by the camera but would’ve
been in full view of Bale the whole time.
Shooting display monitors of A recorded speech of Alfred from Batman make
other display monitors spontaneously explode all over the city and even a
few buildings.
And there’s the occasional completely gratuitous zoom all the way in to the
actors pupil and beyond for no reason whatsoever and it’s not even
seamlessly accomplished.
The only thing of interest is the bizarre German locations they shot at
that look like somebody was trying to build something that looked like a
dystopian future movie set.Oh
The second of five films here from executive producer Harvey Weinstein.

Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
see.

2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Apparently just by blind luck the three fast movies I recorded are the
first three made although not the first three in order which is sort of
stupid. This doesn’t have much to do with the first film other than the one
character. It’s also not a very good film and absolutely terribly directed.
The cars have more gears than TV cops have bullets in their guns. Hey! I’m
going 140! I’ll shift again! And the action devolves into straight up Dukes
of Hazzard. At least they actually acknowledged they were doing Dukes of
Hazzard crap by name.
Eva Mendes is hot. The rest of it is just dumb. Music sucks too.

I am following this up with The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. I
already had this on the DVR from AMC which means it’s a really lousy
presentation of it. Not that I think it would possibly matter. Once again
there’s a bunch of 30 year old high school students including the annoying
guy with the annoying accent from NCISNO. As far as I can tell it has no
connection whatsoever to the previous movies except that they stuck the
name on it. Nathalie Kelley (which is why I recorded this) is hot as hell.
She also keeps forgetting what accent she’s supposed to be using scene to
scene. Cars drift into everything in sight and come away without a
scratch; apparently they heal like Tom Cruise in a mission impossible
movie. I am an hour into it with an hour and a half left to go and I really
don’t care if they all die. Bring on Godzilla!

Fast and Furious (2009) just popped up, also on AMC, in a really lousy
presentation with the profanity bleeped and in the wrong aspect ratio. It’s
the fourth film made but apparently it’s supposed to be watched between two
and three. Go figure. At least this one has a proper sequel with four of
the original characters returning. The chase through the tunnel at the end
is just silly and once again they are shifting constantly. There’s a new
hot girl played by somebody named Gal Godot. Did she ever do anything else?

Hostage (2005)
Bruce Willis plays a hot shot hostage negotiator who retires to become a
small town police chief after a negotiation goes horribly wrong. Of course
a hostage situation arises in his new hometown. The real star here is the
house the hostages are held in which is simultaneously wildly over designed
and wildly under implemented. It has giant security grates that come down
seemingly from nowhere over every window and entrance to keep the occupants
safe and at the same time doesn’t have a back up generator. It also has
gigantic air conditioning ducks just like in die hard but you don’t usually
see those in a private home. One nice touch is that there’s more than one
set of bad guys working at cross purposes. And there’s a twist I didn’t see
coming which is always nice. The actors do a good job and it’s fine
looking even if the script is sort of silly.

Vanilla Sky (2000) In Spanish
I’ve already seen it. The DVR grabbed it because Alicia Witt.

Last Knights (2015)
This is just silly. I guess it supposed to be very woke. Some medieval set
up where the royalty is Asian and the underclass are all white guys with
different metric accents except for Morgan Freeman. The short answer is,
it’s just a Robin Hood and or Ivanhoe rip. In some sort of snow covered
kingdom that never existed the sheriff of Nottingham has 2000 guards
protecting him in case Robin comes back and the top level of nobleman is 2
million strong. I gave up maybe half an hour in and went and read the
Wikipedia plot description to see if I was going to miss anything if I
stuck with it and I clearly wasn’t so I bailed. You have to work hard to
get me to skip medieval knight stuff.

In the Heart of the Sea (2015)
Thor and Phil Spiderman versus the whale!
This was pretty good. For whatever reason I’ve never been able to quantify
I’ve never been a fan of Ron Howard movies even though I want to be. I
didn’t really understand the end when they want the crew to keep secret
that the whale sank their boat. What story would they have told that would
have made whaling sound less dangerous?
IMDb has some interesting trivia on The real events, like Thors wife kept
having kids while he was at sea and the math doesn’t exactly support them
all being his.
It worries me that the grizzled old guy telling the story is supposed to be
14 year old Tom Holland 30 years later. He’s 44? Then why do they have him
played by a guy in his 60s?

Gone (2012)
Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.
Sometime in the past, Amanda Seyfried was kidnapped and held and escaped.
The lazy and incompetent police don’t believe it ever happened. So when her
sister, dark-haired very young Emily Wickersham, vanishes, the lazy and
incompetent cops don’t believe her again. So she spends an hour and a half
running around looking for clues which are far too easy to find and finally
finds the guy and rather effortlessly kills him after he tells her that
Emily has just been stuffed under the house but is fine. Then there’s the
obligatory “shock” ending where maybe the guy is still alive after all.
Yawn.

Underwater (I padded it out 30 minutes at the end so maybe I’ll get to see
it all)
OK so the first time I saw it they cut off at least 20 minutes. This time
it would’ve been truncated again as well but I padded it way out.
So I got to see the entire ending where they ripped off alien two and three
as well. The major difference is that Sigourney Weaver looked great running
around in her underwear and Kristen Stewart not so much. IMDb points out
lots of goofs and boy are they right. I also boosted the image on the
plasma through the roof so I could actually see what was going on which
helped a lot. A ridiculous amount of colored flashing lights and
explosions all going off with no explanation.

The Fast and the Furious (2001)
Finally I’ve seen one of these! And it was the first one!
Ian was right, I didn’t particularly like it. I didn’t dislike it. It had
good points. Michelle Rodriguez was one of them, I had almost forgotten she
was ever that cute. And Jordana Brewster who was probably a teenager when
they made this was just beautiful and it looks like she’s actually eating a
whole sandwich. And I’ve always liked Vin Diesel. And Captain Stottlemeyer
was there! But was I really supposed to be rooting for the hijackers? I
was rooting for the truck driver with the shotgun. I find it amusing that
20 years later a stock Ludacris tesla would Smoake any of these guys. And
when I say smoke I mean Felicity.

The Invisible Man (2020)
This is an out and out lousy movie. It doesn’t help that action Max ran the
opening so dark that even turning out all the house lights and boosting the
plasma to full brightness I couldn’t make out the opening credits. Or that
there was a 20 minute gap about a third of the way in which seems to be
when she decided her dead husband was still alive and invisible. Or that
there was apparently an audio track missing because the cc kept saying that
there was a noise she was hearing or she was gasping and those sound
effects weren’t there at all. But even if they fixed all that it was just
stupid. She throws a bucket of paint on the guy and they cut the effect
after like a second and a half and then somehow he just effortlessly washes
it off? In the kitchen sink? Speaking of the kitchen sink, how did she
manage to set the kitchen on fire and not set off the smoke detectors? And
the dog was just left alone in the creepy fortress like house for weeks or
months and didn’t eat her when she showed up? And we get a scene where
she’s watching herself on a touch monitor and what she’s doing in the image
on the monitor doesn’t match what she’s doing in the foreground at all.
How is this guy getting around? Does he have an invisible car somewhere?
How many invisible suits does he have? How does a fancy restaurant with
tables for 2 Spaced Way too far apart to make a profit no matter what you
did and candles in the middle of the table work as a “family style“ place?
And why didn’t they hire an actor to play their waiter instead of
somebody’s boy toy who rolls up his sleeve so they can have shots featuring
all his stupid tattoos? When she finds a knife in a baggie in the Lair in
her attic the first thing she does is unseal the baggy, reach in, take out
the knife, and put her fingerprints all over the handle? How come the
invisibility suit which looks like it ought to be really cumbersome gives
the guy super strength and speed and flexibility? Not to mention making him
intangible on demand. How come the things that are supposed to be moved by
an invisible man don’t move like anyone’s holding them at all? A document
to relinquish your inheritance signed while you’re restrained in the mental
ward and full of drugs is going to stand up in court? And the lawyer can
make the murder charges go away? How does he do that? Note that the movie
never tells us. Aren’t the dozen or so armed cops wandering around the
nuthouse that saw the flickering invisibility suit going to tell anybody?
How come not one exit leading from the nuthouse inside or outside requires
a key or a key card or a handprint or anything to use? Were we really
supposed to be surprised at the big shock twist revelation of who is in the
suit? Why does the cop say Tom’s body is lying in his living room when he
was clearly in the hallway and this is days later anyway? Don’t they wonder
what Adrian ate or drank for the days or weeks he was tied up in his
basement? When they tell her that the first invisibility suit doesn’t work
after she shot it to pieces (which isn’t what she did) why the hell doesn’t
she tell them about the second one she hid? Why at the end does she call
911 asking for help when she’s wearing a wire and knows her cop buddy James
is right outside listening? She’s going to get away with murder by staging
it exactly the way she says she was framed for her sister‘s murder and that
they apparently believe her about? Why doesn’t she ever zip her damn go
bag closed at the beginning or end of the movie? How is the invisibility
suit one size fits all? Why did they let the Director get away with all
these scenes where the person isn’t quite looking at the other person
they’re talking to? Why did they let the Director get away with having the
girl break the fourth wall at the end? Why didn’t anybody point out that
letting the same person write and produce and direct never works?

The Aviator (which I already recorded once)

Darkness Falls (2003)
This starts out like Dawsons Creek with 15-year-olds and the girl sneaks in
the boys upstairs bedroom at night to visit and have smoochies and plan to
go to their first boy girl dance and yet… He’s losing his baby teeth.
They’re a decade too old for this. Then he hides in the worlds largest
bathroom (it has windows on both sides of it although in some scenes the
square window is a door) while his mother is murdered. I am already rooting
for the monster.
12 years later, 15 year old smoochy girl has grown up to be 30 year old
Emma Caulfield. Somehow it just seems wrong for Emma to be playing the
victim of a vengeance demon. Smoochy boy is played by a 31-year-old actor
who would have less than three years to live before he died of sleep apnea
which is especially creepy given that his character has night terrors.
Another friend from the old days shows up and plans to take smoochy boy to
the end where they apparently used to hang out and drink. When they were
the agent which you lose your baby teeth. This is really amazingly stupid.
Ian‘s IMDb article says that there isn’t going to be any sex or nudity but
there will be 11 minutes of credits because without them the movie is too
short to legally be called a movie. I’ll never know; at the 26 minute mark
I call it quits.

Proof of Life (2000)
David Morris is kidnapped! His wife Meg Ryan hires H and K expert Russell
Crowe to rescue him! CSI Horatio Kaine will help, even if it means blowing
his lines! Even though it recorded two hours and five minutes I still
didn’t get the end.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)

King Kong (2005)

Rat Race (2001)

The New Mutants (2020)

Take Me Home Tonight (2011)
The DVR grabbed this because it was looking for Nathalie Kelley to record
“the fast and the furious” movies

THE HBO PREVIEW ENDED AT THIS POINT. THE DVR WAS SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT
IT COULDN’T RECORD ANY OF THE REST OF THE SHOWS AND IT JUST DELETED THEM
FROM THE SCHEDULED SECTION WITH PREJUDICE.

The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (2007)

King Kong (1976)

Can You Keep a Secret (2019)

Can You Keep a Secret (2019) a second time, hey, it’s hi ho the Dario

Mr. Nobody (2013)

Flawless (2007)

Summer School (1987)

Serving Sara (2002)

Ian J. Ball

Jun 18, 2022, 11:39:11 PM6/18/22
On 2022-06-19 02:53:46 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> So what did I find to watch?
>
> Not nearly as much as I hoped.

I'm going to just pull at a few of these...

> Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
> see.
>
> 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
> Apparently just by blind luck the three fast movies I recorded are the
> first three made although not the first three in order which is sort of
> stupid. This doesn’t have much to do with the first film other than the one
> character. It’s also not a very good film and absolutely terribly directed.
> The cars have more gears than TV cops have bullets in their guns. Hey! I’m
> going 140! I’ll shift again! And the action devolves into straight up Dukes
> of Hazzard. At least they actually acknowledged they were doing Dukes of
> Hazzard crap by name.
> Eva Mendes is hot. The rest of it is just dumb. Music sucks too.

This is arguably the worst F&F flick (by far!!). (Though the most
recent one ("9"?) is also pretty damn bad!...)

Note: I still have not seen the third one.

> Fast and Furious (2009) just popped up, also on AMC, in a really lousy
> presentation with the profanity bleeped and in the wrong aspect ratio. It’s
> the fourth film made but apparently it’s supposed to be watched between two
> and three. Go figure. At least this one has a proper sequel with four of
> the original characters returning. The chase through the tunnel at the end
> is just silly and once again they are shifting constantly.

They used to show this one all the time on TV - I wonder if it's the
most televised F&F flick?

> Gone (2012)
> Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.
> Sometime in the past, Amanda Seyfried was kidnapped and held and escaped.
> The lazy and incompetent police don’t believe it ever happened. So when her
> sister, dark-haired very young Emily Wickersham, vanishes, the lazy and
> incompetent cops don’t believe her again. So she spends an hour and a half
> running around looking for clues which are far too easy to find and finally
> finds the guy and rather effortlessly kills him after he tells her that
> Emily has just been stuffed under the house but is fine. Then there’s the
> obligatory “shock” ending where maybe the guy is still alive after all.
> Yawn.

You suck!! This is one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" flicks that I
will usually watch when it's on! :p

> The Fast and the Furious (2001)
> Finally I’ve seen one of these! And it was the first one!
> Ian was right, I didn’t particularly like it. I didn’t dislike it.

Ha!!

> It had
> good points. Michelle Rodriguez was one of them, I had almost forgotten she
> was ever that cute. And Jordana Brewster who was probably a teenager when
> they made this was just beautiful and it looks like she’s actually eating a
> whole sandwich.

She was definitely not a teen (she might have been when "The Faculty"
was made, though!), and this may even been post-"peak" Jordana, but
yeah - she's pretty incredibly looking in this one.

It still amuses me that she got her start on ATWT!!

> Darkness Falls (2003)
> This starts out like Dawsons Creek with 15-year-olds and the girl sneaks in
> the boys upstairs bedroom at night to visit and have smoochies and plan to
> go to their first boy girl dance and yet… He’s losing his baby teeth.
> They’re a decade too old for this. Then he hides in the worlds largest
> bathroom (it has windows on both sides of it although in some scenes the
> square window is a door) while his mother is murdered. I am already rooting
> for the monster.
> 12 years later, 15 year old smoochy girl has grown up to be 30 year old
> Emma Caulfield. Somehow it just seems wrong for Emma to be playing the
> victim of a vengeance demon. Smoochy boy is played by a 31-year-old actor
> who would have less than three years to live before he died of sleep apnea
> which is especially creepy given that his character has night terrors.
> Another friend from the old days shows up and plans to take smoochy boy to
> the end where they apparently used to hang out and drink. When they were
> the agent which you lose your baby teeth. This is really amazingly stupid.
> Ian‘s IMDb article says that there isn’t going to be any sex or nudity but
> there will be 11 minutes of credits because without them the movie is too
> short to legally be called a movie. I’ll never know; at the 26 minute mark
> I call it quits.

Yeah. This is a movie I was hoping I would like, but when I finally saw
it I wildly disliked it.

> Proof of Life (2000)
> David Morris

David Morse! :p

> is kidnapped! His wife Meg Ryan hires H and K expert Russell
> Crowe to rescue him! CSI Horatio Kaine will help, even if it means blowing
> his lines! Even though it recorded two hours and five minutes I still
> didn’t get the end.

I saw this in the theater - I remember liking it quite a bit.

> Rat Race (2001)

A movie that has one scene that had me laughing maybe as hard as I ever
had when I first saw it. Based on this film, I am still convinced that
Jon Lovitz is an unappreciated comic genius.

> The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (2007)

I keep meaning to watch this, but never get around to it...

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 19, 2022, 12:22:48 AM6/19/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>Wonder Woman 84 (2020)

This movie bored me. I sure didn't care about the plot in any way.

>Executive Decision (1996)
>Certainly Steven Seagal's best movie; possibly Halle Berry's as well.

I love this movie! One of Trump's ex-wives is a stewardess. Yeah, Seagal
gets killed off long before you get sick of his character!

Oliver Platt steals all his scenes. Supposedly John Leguizamo and Kurt
Russell didn't get along 'cuz Leguizamo kept making fun of him.

>Imposter (2002)
>They took a book by Philip K Dick and expanded it into a 40 minute mini
>movie and then expanded it again into a full length movie and wondered why
>it didn't make a lot of sense. Cost $40 million, grossed 8 million
>worldwide.
>A solid cast but it just turned into a chase for most of it and then sprang
>the surprise ending which had been obvious for about 10 minutes and then
>sprang the double surprise ending which had been obvious for about 80
>minutes. Gary Sinise and Madeline Stowe are wasted and Vincent D'Onofrio
>pretty much plays a prototype of his law and order character. They use the
>word "replicant" a lot hoping to cash in on blade runner goodwill
>apparently.

I think the book has a lot of Dick's made-up religion in it, if I'm
thinking of the right one.

I remember liking Sinise a lot in it but yeah the twist was obvious. It's
not a movie I wasn't to see again.

>Hostage (2005)

I saw this once. It's really dumb. I agree with you about the house set.

>Gone (2012)
>Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.

This is so terrible even Ian hates it.

>The Invisible Man (2020)
>This is an out and out lousy movie. . . .

Yes

>Proof of Life (2000)
>David Morris is kidnapped! His wife Meg Ryan hires H and K expert Russell
>Crowe to rescue him! CSI Horatio Kaine will help, even if it means blowing
>his lines! Even though it recorded two hours and five minutes I still
>didn't get the end.

I saw this in the movie theater. For some reason I've never caught it
on tv. I guess I liked it.

>Can You Keep a Secret (2019)

>Can You Keep a Secret (2019) a second time, hey, it's hi ho the Dario

Yeah, I watched it for her.

>Mr. Nobody (2013)

Is this any good?

>Flawless (2007)

>Summer School (1987)

I think this has nudity in it.

>Serving Sara (2002)

Never seen this

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2022, 11:28:07 AM6/19/22
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-06-19 02:53:46 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
>> So what did I find to watch?
>>
>> Not nearly as much as I hoped.
>
> I'm going to just pull at a few of these...
>
>> Overnight the magic DVR started adding HBO shows it thought I would want to
>> see.
>>
>> 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
>> Apparently just by blind luck the three fast movies I recorded are the
>> first three made although not the first three in order which is sort of
>> stupid. This doesn’t have much to do with the first film other than the one
>> character. It’s also not a very good film and absolutely terribly directed.
>> The cars have more gears than TV cops have bullets in their guns. Hey! I’m
>> going 140! I’ll shift again! And the action devolves into straight up Dukes
>> of Hazzard. At least they actually acknowledged they were doing Dukes of
>> Hazzard crap by name.
>> Eva Mendes is hot. The rest of it is just dumb. Music sucks too.
>
> This is arguably the worst F&F flick (by far!!). (Though the most
> recent one ("9"?) is also pretty damn bad!...)
>
> Note: I still have not seen the third one.

I’ve totally lost track. There’s just no way to search for them since the
titles don’t necessarily include either the word fast or the word furious.
So I had the DVR looking for the actresses that show up in more than one of
them. But I finally decided I’d had enough and deactivated those searches.

>> Fast and Furious (2009) just popped up, also on AMC, in a really lousy
>> presentation with the profanity bleeped and in the wrong aspect ratio. It’s
>> the fourth film made but apparently it’s supposed to be watched between two
>> and three. Go figure. At least this one has a proper sequel with four of
>> the original characters returning. The chase through the tunnel at the end
>> is just silly and once again they are shifting constantly.
>
> They used to show this one all the time on TV - I wonder if it's the
> most televised F&F flick?
>
>> Gone (2012)
>> Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.
>> Sometime in the past, Amanda Seyfried was kidnapped and held and escaped.
>> The lazy and incompetent police don’t believe it ever happened. So when her
>> sister, dark-haired very young Emily Wickersham, vanishes, the lazy and
>> incompetent cops don’t believe her again. So she spends an hour and a half
>> running around looking for clues which are far too easy to find and finally
>> finds the guy and rather effortlessly kills him after he tells her that
>> Emily has just been stuffed under the house but is fine. Then there’s the
>> obligatory “shock” ending where maybe the guy is still alive after all.
>> Yawn.
>
> You suck!! This is one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" flicks that I
> will usually watch when it's on! :p

Lol

>> The Fast and the Furious (2001)
>> Finally I’ve seen one of these! And it was the first one!
>> Ian was right, I didn’t particularly like it. I didn’t dislike it.
>
> Ha!!
>
>> It had
>> good points. Michelle Rodriguez was one of them, I had almost forgotten she
>> was ever that cute. And Jordana Brewster who was probably a teenager when
>> they made this was just beautiful and it looks like she’s actually eating a
>> whole sandwich.
>
> She was definitely not a teen (she might have been when "The Faculty"
> was made, though!),

She was 18 when it came out, so, yeah.

and this may even been post-"peak" Jordana, but
> yeah - she's pretty incredibly looking in this one.
>
> It still amuses me that she got her start on ATWT!!

At 15!

Gads, by the time I fell in love with her on Dallas, she was already in her
30s.
I blame spiel chick

>> is kidnapped! His wife Meg Ryan hires H and K expert Russell
>> Crowe to rescue him! CSI Horatio Kaine will help, even if it means blowing
>> his lines! Even though it recorded two hours and five minutes I still
>> didn’t get the end.
>
> I saw this in the theater - I remember liking it quite a bit.
>
>> Rat Race (2001)
>
> A movie that has one scene that had me laughing maybe as hard as I ever
> had when I first saw it. Based on this film, I am still convinced that
> Jon Lovitz is an unappreciated comic genius.
>
>> The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (2007)
>
> I keep meaning to watch this, but never get around to it...

It’s been so long since I composed this and it got lost in my outbox they
don’t even remember half these movies!

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2022, 11:28:09 AM6/19/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Wonder Woman 84 (2020)
>
> This movie bored me. I sure didn't care about the plot in any way.

Nope

>> Executive Decision (1996)
>> Certainly Steven Seagal's best movie; possibly Halle Berry's as well.
>
> I love this movie! One of Trump's ex-wives is a stewardess. Yeah, Seagal
> gets killed off long before you get sick of his character!

Yep

> Oliver Platt steals all his scenes. Supposedly John Leguizamo and Kurt
> Russell didn't get along 'cuz Leguizamo kept making fun of him.

How odd. What would you make fun of Kurt Russell for? “Hey you never
married Goldie Hawn!“ “Hey you were mostly naked on Gilligans island“ “hey
I loved used cars“

>> Imposter (2002)
>> They took a book by Philip K Dick and expanded it into a 40 minute mini
>> movie and then expanded it again into a full length movie and wondered why
>> it didn't make a lot of sense. Cost $40 million, grossed 8 million
>> worldwide.
>> A solid cast but it just turned into a chase for most of it and then sprang
>> the surprise ending which had been obvious for about 10 minutes and then
>> sprang the double surprise ending which had been obvious for about 80
>> minutes. Gary Sinise and Madeline Stowe are wasted and Vincent D'Onofrio
>> pretty much plays a prototype of his law and order character. They use the
>> word "replicant" a lot hoping to cash in on blade runner goodwill
>> apparently.
>
> I think the book has a lot of Dick's made-up religion in it, if I'm
> thinking of the right one.
>
> I remember liking Sinise a lot in it but yeah the twist was obvious. It's
> not a movie I wasn't to see again.
>
>> Hostage (2005)
>
> I saw this once. It's really dumb. I agree with you about the house set.
>
>> Gone (2012)
>> Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.
>
> This is so terrible even Ian hates it.

Oops

>> The Invisible Man (2020)
>> This is an out and out lousy movie. . . .
>
> Yes
>
>> Proof of Life (2000)
>> David Morris is kidnapped! His wife Meg Ryan hires H and K expert Russell
>> Crowe to rescue him! CSI Horatio Kaine will help, even if it means blowing
>> his lines! Even though it recorded two hours and five minutes I still
>> didn't get the end.
>
> I saw this in the movie theater. For some reason I've never caught it
> on tv. I guess I liked it.
>
>> Can You Keep a Secret (2019)
>
>> Can You Keep a Secret (2019) a second time, hey, it's hi ho the Dario
>
> Yeah, I watched it for her.

Who amongst us cannot say that?

>> Mr. Nobody (2013)
>
> Is this any good?

I have no recollection of it whatsoever. Even watching the trailer on
YouTube doesn’t bring back anything.

>> Flawless (2007)
>
>> Summer School (1987)
>
> I think this has nudity in it.

I think it’s advertised as such but it’s not Courtney Thorne Smith. :-(

>> Serving Sara (2002)
>
> Never seen this

I have no recollection of having seen this either. Maybe these last few are
stuff that I thought I’d watch and never got to.

I wonder if I recorded them and they’re buried in the bottom depths of the
DVR?

(Checks)

Nope.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 19, 2022, 12:07:58 PM6/19/22
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>Executive Decision (1996)
>>>Certainly Steven Seagal's best movie; possibly Halle Berry's as well.

>>I love this movie! One of Trump's ex-wives is a stewardess. Yeah, Seagal
>>gets killed off long before you get sick of his character!

>Yep

>>Oliver Platt steals all his scenes. Supposedly John Leguizamo and Kurt
>>Russell didn't get along 'cuz Leguizamo kept making fun of him.

>How odd. What would you make fun of Kurt Russell for? "Hey you never
>married Goldie Hawn!" "Hey you were mostly naked on Gilligans
>island" "hey
>I loved used cars"

Leguizamo made fun of him in character improvising some lines, like the
stinky feet line when Russell took off his dress shoes.

It's actually possible that Leguizamo made the whole thing up, which
sounds like him.

>>. . .

>>>Gone (2012)
>>>Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.

>>This is so terrible even Ian hates it.

>Oops

Last time I saw this movie, Ian told me he hated it. He told you he
loved it. Ian is two-faced.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 19, 2022, 12:50:09 PM6/19/22
The shortcut to figure them all out is probably:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_%26_Furious

>>> The Fast and the Furious (2001)
>>> Finally I’ve seen one of these! And it was the first one!
>>> Ian was right, I didn’t particularly like it. I didn’t dislike it.
>>
>> Ha!!
>>
>>> It had
>>> good points. Michelle Rodriguez was one of them, I had almost forgotten she
>>> was ever that cute. And Jordana Brewster who was probably a teenager when
>>> they made this was just beautiful and it looks like she’s actually eating a
>>> whole sandwich.
>>
>> She was definitely not a teen (she might have been when "The Faculty"
>> was made, though!),
>
> She was 18 when it came out, so, yeah.

Sounds right.

> > and this may even been post-"peak" Jordana, but
>> yeah - she's pretty incredibly looking in this one.
>>
>> It still amuses me that she got her start on ATWT!!
>
> At 15!

When I was still watching ATWT!!

> Gads, by the time I fell in love with her on Dallas, she was already in her
> 30s.
>

>>> The Seeker: The Dark Is Rising (2007)
>>
>> I keep meaning to watch this, but never get around to it...
>
> It’s been so long since I composed this and it got lost in my outbox they
> don’t even remember half these movies!

I still need to get to this one!! ;)

Ian J. Ball

Jun 19, 2022, 12:52:42 PM6/19/22
I am quite sure that I never said that I hated it. You must be thinking
of another movie... Could it have been "Chloe" (also with Amanda
Seyfried)? - Because I'm pretty sure I do hate that film.

The Horny Goat

Jun 19, 2022, 3:29:02 PM6/19/22
On Sun, 19 Jun 2022 08:28:03 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>> I saw this in the movie theater. For some reason I've never caught it
>> on tv. I guess I liked it.
>>
>>> Can You Keep a Secret (2019)
>>
>>> Can You Keep a Secret (2019) a second time, hey, it's hi ho the Dario
>>
>> Yeah, I watched it for her.
>
>Who amongst us cannot say that?

I did not see that particular flick.

I will not dispute Hi ho's ease on the eyes.

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2022, 5:32:40 PM6/19/22
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>>> I love this movie! One of Trump's ex-wives is a stewardess. Yeah, Seagal
>>> gets killed off long before you get sick of his character!
>
>> Yep
>
>>> Oliver Platt steals all his scenes. Supposedly John Leguizamo and Kurt
>>> Russell didn't get along 'cuz Leguizamo kept making fun of him.
>
>> How odd. What would you make fun of Kurt Russell for? "Hey you never
>> married Goldie Hawn!" "Hey you were mostly naked on Gilligans
>> island" "hey
>> I loved used cars"
>
> Leguizamo made fun of him in character improvising some lines, like the
> stinky feet line when Russell took off his dress shoes.
>
> It's actually possible that Leguizamo made the whole thing up, which
> sounds like him.

Yeah

>>> . . .

>>> This is so terrible even Ian hates it.
>
>> Oops
>
> Last time I saw this movie, Ian told me he hated it. He told you he
> loved it. Ian is two-faced.

I see no reason Ian can’t both love and hate it the way we both love and
hate him.

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2022, 5:32:41 PM6/19/22
Yeah but setting up a half a dozen different searches was too annoying.
Have I mentioned lately that I love her in D.E.B.S.?

anim8rfsk

Jun 19, 2022, 5:32:45 PM6/19/22
I meant that as a general truism, not specifically about that one movie.

“I watched (blank) because hi ho the Dario was in it“

Ian J. Ball

Jun 19, 2022, 6:32:57 PM6/19/22
> Have I mentioned lately that I love her in D.E.B.S.?

I prefer the short film version of "D.E.B.S." because it stars
Alexandra Breckenridge, back in time at her very hottest! (with Clare
Kramer in the Jordana role!!) ;p

Eddie Grove

Jun 19, 2022, 8:27:05 PM6/19/22
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> writes:

> On 2022-06-19 02:53:46 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

>> Gone (2012)
>> Silly, pointless, and poorly made kidnap flick.
>> Sometime in the past, Amanda Seyfried was kidnapped and held and escaped.
>> The lazy and incompetent police don’t believe it ever happened. So when her
>> sister, dark-haired very young Emily Wickersham, vanishes, the lazy and
>> incompetent cops don’t believe her again. So she spends an hour and a half
>> running around looking for clues which are far too easy to find and finally
>> finds the guy and rather effortlessly kills him after he tells her that
>> Emily has just been stuffed under the house but is fine. Then there’s the
>> obligatory “shock” ending where maybe the guy is still alive after all.
>> Yawn.
>
> You suck!! This is one of my favorite "guilty pleasure" flicks that I
> will usually watch when it's on! :p

I remember enjoying this one.

anim8rfsk

Jun 20, 2022, 2:55:16 AM6/20/22
I find them both interesting. Jordana and Devon trump for me though.