Lifetime adapting Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None"

David

Jul 13, 2015, 3:37:44 PM7/13/15
FILMING BEGINS ON MINISERIES BASED ON AGATHA CHRISTIE'S AND THEN THERE WERE NONE FOR LIFETIME AND BBC ONE

LONDON/LOS ANGELES, CA (July 13, 2015) - BBC One and Lifetime have partnered on a miniseries based on Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, one of the best-selling crime novels of all time, with 100 million copies sold worldwide.

Written by Sarah Phelps (The Casual Vacancy, Great Expectations) and produced by Mammoth Screen and Agatha Christie Productions, production on And Then There Were None has begun in London and Cornwall.

The miniseries stars Douglas Booth (Great Expectations, The Riot Club), Emmy(R) Award nominee Charles Dance (Game of Thrones, The Imitation Game), Maeve Dermody (Black Water, Beautiful Kate), Burn Gorman (The Dark Knight Rises, Torchwood), BAFTA winner Anna Maxwell Martin (The Bletchley Circle, Death Comes to Pemberley), Emmy and Golden Globe(R) Award nominee Sam Neill (Peaky Blinders, The Tudors), Academy Award(R) nominee Miranda Richardson (Mapp & Lucia, Parade's End), Toby Stephens (Black Sails, Jane Eyre), Screen Actors Guild Award(R) nominee Noah Taylor (Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones) and Aidan Turner (Poldark, The Hobbit Trilogy).

Set in 1939 while Europe teeters on the brink of war, And Then There Were None follows ten strangers with dubious pasts who are lured to Soldier Island, an isolated rock near the Devon coast in southern England.

Cut off from the mainland, with their hosts mysteriously absent, they are each accused of a terrible crime, and when members of the party start to mysteriously die, they all realize they may be harboring a murderer among their number.

Who will survive? And who is the killer?

moviePig

Jul 13, 2015, 4:24:34 PM7/13/15
Golly, it's about time somebody did the 117th remake of this...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

anim8rfsk

Jul 13, 2015, 4:35:59 PM7/13/15
In article <a6e114f1-1ba1-494c...@googlegroups.com>,
Think they'll switch the identity of the killer, or shoot multiple
endings like CLUE?

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

moviePig

Jul 13, 2015, 5:04:10 PM7/13/15
Or maybe a grammatically correct title: AND THEN THERE *WAS* NONE...

anim8rfsk

Jul 13, 2015, 6:17:22 PM7/13/15
In article <55a427c6$0$64266$c3e8da3$b280...@news.astraweb.com>,
There's no way in Hell they'll use "Ten Little Indians" either

And why does the killer
ROT 13 POWERS: ACTIVATE
Tb gb terng yratguf gb uvqr gur snpg gung ur *jnf* gur xvyyre nsgre
pbzzvggvat fhvpvqr? Vfa'g gung yvxryl gb yrnq gb na vaabprag cnegl
orvat fhfcrpgrq?

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

moviePig

Jul 14, 2015, 10:04:34 AM7/14/15
Neither title nor tune...

> And why does the killer
> ROT 13 POWERS: ACTIVATE
> Tb gb terng yratguf gb uvqr gur snpg gung ur *jnf* gur xvyyre nsgre
> pbzzvggvat fhvpvqr? Vfa'g gung yvxryl gb yrnq gb na vaabprag cnegl
> orvat fhfcrpgrq?

Iirc, that coup de grace was exactly his/her intent.

Jim G.

Jul 14, 2015, 2:23:52 PM7/14/15
moviePig sent the following on 07/13/2015 at 04:04 PM:
"None" can be singular or plural when it comes to verbs. It depends on
the context. See #4 here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/none

"I'm gonna be more normal now. Maybe Shayla could even be my girlfriend.
I'll go see those stupid Marvel movies with her. I'll join a gym. I'll
heart things on Instagram. I'll drink vanilla lattes. I'm gonna lead a
bug-free life from now on. Anything to protect my perfect maze." --
Elliot Alderson, MR. ROBOT

Jim G.

Jul 14, 2015, 2:25:30 PM7/14/15
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/13/2015 at 05:17 PM:
Or TEN LITTLE NIGGERS, which was the original title.

> And why does the killer
> ROT 13 POWERS: ACTIVATE
> Tb gb terng yratguf gb uvqr gur snpg gung ur *jnf* gur xvyyre nsgre
> pbzzvggvat fhvpvqr? Vfa'g gung yvxryl gb yrnq gb na vaabprag cnegl
> orvat fhfcrpgrq?

Gurer jrer ab vaabprag cnegvrf. Rirelbar vaivgrq gb gur cnegl (naq gur
gjb freinagf) unq tbggra njnl jvgu zheqre gb bar qrterr be nabgure va
gur cnfg. Ergevohgvba jnf n fgebat gurzr va guvf bar.

And with that, I'm reminded that I've fallen behind in reading (or often
re-reading) Christie's entire bibliography. Somehow her books have
always seemed more appropriate to colder seasons, but I may not want to
wait that long now to crack open the next one.

moviePig

Jul 14, 2015, 2:34:57 PM7/14/15
Yeah, I did feel more provocative than erudite when I posted that.
Actually, I thought that because we were talking about discreet items
(e.g., "and then there *was* one), 'was' would've been preferred.
Apparently not.

anim8rfsk

Jul 14, 2015, 3:06:39 PM7/14/15
In article <mo3k6n$36p$5...@news.albasani.net>,
Lrf, ohg gurl'er nyy qrnq, zrnavat gur bayl cbffvoyr fhfcrpg vf fbzrbar
ABG vaibyirq, yvxr gur obng pncgnva be fbzrguvat.

> And with that, I'm reminded that I've fallen behind in reading (or often
> re-reading) Christie's entire bibliography. Somehow her books have
> always seemed more appropriate to colder seasons, but I may not want to
> wait that long now to crack open the next one.

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

moviePig

Jul 14, 2015, 3:38:24 PM7/14/15
On 7/14/2015 3:06 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>> Tb gb terng yratguf gb uvqr gur snpg gung ur*jnf* gur xvyyre nsgre
>> >
>> >Gurer jrer ab vaabprag cnegvrf. Rirelbar vaivgrq gb gur cnegl (naq gur
>> >gjb freinagf) unq tbggra njnl jvgu zheqre gb bar qrterr be nabgure va
>> >gur cnfg. Ergevohgvba jnf n fgebat gurzr va guvf bar.
> Lrf, ohg gurl'er nyy qrnq, zrnavat gur bayl cbffvoyr fhfcrpg vf fbzrbar
> ABG vaibyirq, yvxr gur obng pncgnva be fbzrguvat.

Ntnva vvep... gur svany ivpgvz jnf fhccbfrq gb ernyvmr uvf sngr nf na
npphfrq zheqrere naq, va qrfcnve, gnxr uvf bja yvsr -- juvpu, hayrff ur
nyfb gbbx terng naq hazbgvingrq cnvaf gb zvfyrnq gurz, gur cbyvpr jbhyq
frr nf gur svany npg bs n genccrq snangvp frevny xvyyre.

Invid Fan

Jul 14, 2015, 3:46:55 PM7/14/15
In article <mo3k6n$36p$5...@news.albasani.net>, Jim G.
<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/13/2015 at 05:17 PM:

> > There's no way in Hell they'll use "Ten Little Indians" either
>
> Or TEN LITTLE NIGGERS, which was the original title.

My sister and I were in a book store in St. Petersburg almost a decade
ago. They had an English section, and actually sold copies of Ten
Little Niggers. My sister bought one because, what the fuck.

--
Chris Mack "If we show any weakness, the monsters will get cocky!"
'Invid Fan' - 'Yokai Monsters Along With Ghosts'

Jim G.

Jul 14, 2015, 4:32:23 PM7/14/15
anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/14/2015 at 02:06 PM:
Gubfr sbyxf jbhyq cerfhznoyl or dhvpxyl rkbarengrq juvyr onpxtebhaq
purpxf ba gur bguref jbhyq ghea hc guvatf gung unq creuncf orra ohevrq
sbe n juvyr. Orlbaq gung, gur npghny xvyyre nqzvggrq gung gurer jnf zber
guna n ovg bs rtb vaibyirq, gbb, naq gung f/ur (V jba'g fcbvy vg) jnagrq
n punapr ng fbzr erpbtavgvba sbe uvf/ure pyrirearff.

Jim G.

Jul 14, 2015, 4:35:37 PM7/14/15
Invid Fan sent the following on 07/14/2015 at 02:46 PM:
> In article <mo3k6n$36p$5...@news.albasani.net>, Jim G.
> <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/13/2015 at 05:17 PM:
>

>>> There's no way in Hell they'll use "Ten Little Indians" either
>>
>> Or TEN LITTLE NIGGERS, which was the original title.
>>
> My sister and I were in a book store in St. Petersburg almost a decade
> ago. They had an English section, and actually sold copies of Ten
> Little Niggers. My sister bought one because, what the fuck.

In addition to the evolution of the title, some of the details in the
story itself were also changed over time as sensibilities/sensitivities
evolved. As such, I'd love a copy of that version even if I had to hide
the cover as I read it. :)

anim8rfsk

Jul 14, 2015, 5:35:07 PM7/14/15
In article <mo3rkk$ib8$1...@news.albasani.net>,
But but but
Qb V unir guvf jebat, be qbrfa'g gur erny xvyyre fgntr gurve bja
'zheqre' naq uvqr nyy gur rivqrapr fb ab bar jvyy rire xabj gurl qvq vg?

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

anim8rfsk

Jul 14, 2015, 5:36:57 PM7/14/15
In article <55a5652b$0$42952$c3e8da3$5e5e...@news.astraweb.com>,
Ur qvq rknpgyl gung; ur fgntrq uvf bja fhvpvqr gb ybbx yvxr n zheqre,
naq gur genccvatf sryy njnl nsgre ur jnf qrnq, fb jura ur jnf sbhaq ur
ybbxrq yvxr whfg nabgure ivpgvz, fb gur cbyvpr nffhzr RIRELOBQL vf n
ivpgvz, naq jub pna gurl oynzr ohg fbzrobql fgvyy nyvir, naq vaabprag?

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 14, 2015, 6:20:34 PM7/14/15
Invid Fan <in...@loclanet.com> wrote:
>Jim G. <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/13/2015 at 05:17 PM:

>>>There's no way in Hell they'll use "Ten Little Indians" either

>>Or TEN LITTLE NIGGERS, which was the original title.

>My sister and I were in a book store in St. Petersburg almost a decade
>ago. They had an English section, and actually sold copies of Ten
>Little Niggers. My sister bought one because, what the fuck.

Ban the book! Ban the book!

Ian Fleming's Live and Let Die was toned down over time, too.

moviePig

Jul 14, 2015, 6:31:12 PM7/14/15
Va gur zbivr (qba'g xabj nobhg gur obbx), bar bs gur ynfg gjb ivpgvzf
cergraqf gb xvyy gur bgure, gb oevat gur erny xvyyre bhg bs uvqvat. Gur
erny xvyyre abj zrnaf gb bss gur ynfg ivpgvz, naq znxr vg ybbx yvxr n
fhvpvqr sbe gur cbyvpr. (Lrnu, V'z nqwhfgvat nf zber pbzrf onpx gb zr.)

anim8rfsk

Jul 14, 2015, 7:35:57 PM7/14/15
In article <55a58dad$0$44756$c3e8da3$dd96...@news.astraweb.com>,
Nu. V'z gnyxvat nobhg gur obbx. VVEP, gur xvyyre snxrf uvf bja qrngu
rneyl ba gb nibvq fhfcvpvba, naq gura bapr ur'f xvyyrq gur bgure 9,
fgntrf uvf bja fhvpvqr gb ybbx yvxr ur jnf zheqrerq nf jryy (ur jnf vyy
naq qlvat naljnl). V'ir arire haqrefgbbq *jul* ur jnagrq gb nibvq gur
perqvg gubhtu.

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

moviePig

Jul 15, 2015, 10:02:26 AM7/15/15
Fyi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None_%281945_film%29#Differences_from_the_novel

From what I can tell, the film "improved" on both novel and stage play,
at least for movie audiences. That doesn't happen often, imo.

anim8rfsk

Jul 15, 2015, 1:19:09 PM7/15/15
In article <55a667ef$0$19747$c3e8da3$3388...@news.astraweb.com>,
Thanks. At least maybe they'll keep the heinous crimes. "Let's make
this more palatable by murdering criminals, but not make them BAD
criminals"

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 15, 2015, 2:11:35 PM7/15/15
What is this bullshit use of air quotes around "improved"? Without the air
quotes, did the movie improve the plot from the book and the play?

Improving doesn't happen very often, but "improving" happens with nearly
every adaptation.

Idiot.

V qvqa'g zvaq gung fbzr bs gur pevzrf va gur onpxfgbel jrer punatrq gb
pbasbez jvgu pheerag zbivr prafbefuvc, ohg V qvqa'g yvxr gur ebznagvp,
urebvp raqvat gnpxrq ba gb gur zbivr (naq gur cynl sbe gung znggre,
va juvpu fur jnf n greevoyr fubg; va gur zbivr, fur fubbgf gb zvff cre
uvf vafgehpgvbaf).

moviePig

Jul 15, 2015, 2:32:38 PM7/15/15
That's not my impression. E.g., I seem to recall plenty of debate about
'Lord Of the Rings', as well as consistent dread on behalf of most any
well-liked new book "once Hollywood gets hold of it". Btw, those aren't
"air quotes", they're actual quote-marks right there in the text.
Perhaps you meant "scare quotes", or something.

> Idiot.

(You don't need to sign your posts. I know who they're from.)

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 15, 2015, 2:44:12 PM7/15/15
What I meant isn't at issue. The issue is your ability to communicate
without contradiction yourself within a paragraph. Clearly, you never
learned their proper use in writing.

Noted: You failed to give a direct answer to my question.

>>Idiot.

>(You don't need to sign your posts. I know who they're from.)

Aren't you "clever".

Jim G.

Jul 15, 2015, 3:02:00 PM7/15/15
Okay, I'm suffering from ROT-13 overdose, so I'm adding some spoiler
space and unROTting things...

anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/14/2015 at 04:35 PM:
> In article <mo3rkk$ib8$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 07/14/2015 at 02:06 PM:

>>> Yes, but they're all dead, meaning the only possible suspect is someone
>>> NOT involved, like the boat captain or something.
>>
>> Those folks would presumably be quickly exonerated while background
>> checks on the others would turn up things that had perhaps been buried
>> for a while. Beyond that, the actual killer admitted that there was more
>> than a bit of ego involved, too, and that s/he (I won't spoil it) wanted
>> a chance at some recognition for his/her cleverness.
>
> But but but
> Do I have this wrong, or doesn't the real killer stage their own
> 'murder' and hide all the evidence so no one will ever know they did it?

Yep. Not only did he stage his own death, but he killed the one other
guest who helped him to pull it off. But his motivation at that point
was all about not outing himself before his work was done.

Again, the confession was a change of heart kind of thing at the last
minute, based on ego. And again, there were reasons to assume that
innocent parties not on the island would *not* be accused, so that
wasn't an issue, IIRC. The island was isolated, anyone else would have
had proof of being elsewhere, etc.

moviePig

Jul 15, 2015, 4:06:24 PM7/15/15
Heh... well, it seems to be *somebody's* issue.

> Noted: You failed to give a direct answer to my question.

You asked two "questions". And, as my quotes suggest, neither seems to
me to be an actual question, but rather an invitation to a shit-flinging
contest (over a potentially interesting topic, regrettably enough).

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 15, 2015, 5:45:50 PM7/15/15
You don't "deny" doing it.

>>Noted: You failed to give a direct answer to my question.

>You asked two "questions".

Idiot.

Without the air quotes, did the movie improve the plot from the
book and the play?

Just requires a yes or no answer, to clarify your self-contradicting
statements.

>And, as my quotes suggest, neither seems to me to be an actual question,
>but rather an invitation to a shit-flinging contest (over a potentially
>interesting topic, regrettably enough).

Feel free to not fling the first shit in future by learning to
communicate without air quotes.

moviePig

Jul 15, 2015, 6:17:52 PM7/15/15
Deny "contradiction" myself? Not only can't I deny it, I can't even
parse it.

>>> Noted: You failed to give a direct answer to my question.
>
>> You asked two "questions".
>
> Idiot.
>
> Without the air quotes, did the movie improve the plot from the
> book and the play?
>
> Just requires a yes or no answer, to clarify your self-contradicting
> statements.

Have you stopped beating your wife? Back when you entered this thread
(and presumably were reading what either of us wrote), I spoke my
opinion on that exact matter, while noting that "improved" is a
sometimes a loaded word.

>> And, as my quotes suggest, neither seems to me to be an actual question,
>> but rather an invitation to a shit-flinging contest (over a potentially
>> interesting topic, regrettably enough).
>
> Feel free to not fling the first shit in future by learning to
> communicate without air quotes.

Feel free to learn that not everyone wants to sip at your ocean of
wisdom. Quotes are "flinging shit"? Christ, go suck an egg...

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 15, 2015, 6:39:22 PM7/15/15
Not in a way that communicated meaning.

>while noting that "improved" is a sometimes a loaded word.

It's not loaded if you write in such a way as to convey meaning. The issue
is your ability to communicate without contradiction within a paragraph. I
could repeat it a few more times if you still fail to understand.

moviePig

Jul 15, 2015, 7:02:16 PM7/15/15
Okay, you arrogant jerk. Here's your "question":

Did the movie improve the plot from the book and the play?

And here's what I wrote:

From what I can tell, the film "improved" on both novel and stage
play, at least for movie audiences.

And somehow that inspired you to mount your high horse and make it shit
all over the room. If you'd had a *real* question and/or disagreement,
I might've even been interested to hear it, but somehow I doubt you even
know what that looks like.

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 15, 2015, 8:12:42 PM7/15/15
No, that wasn't my question, liar. My question, still quoted above, was:

Without the air quotes, did the movie improve the plot from the
book and the play?

>And here's what I wrote:

> From what I can tell, the film "improved" on both novel and stage
>play, at least for movie audiences.

That plays selective quoting games with what you wrote, to make it appear
that you DIDN'T contradict yourself in the very next sentence.

>And somehow that inspired you to mount your high horse and make it shit
>all over the room. If you'd had a *real* question and/or disagreement,
>I might've even been interested to hear it, but somehow I doubt you even
>know what that looks like.

I agree with one sentence and disagree with the other. You have no
idea what your own position is or how to convey it meaningfully.

You still haven't answered the yes or no question, have you. You
wrote dozens and dozens and dozens of words then misquoted yourself and
myself to avoid answering it, to pretend that you have any ability
to write without contradiction.

Idiot.

moviePig

Jul 16, 2015, 8:31:41 AM7/16/15
So, now I'm curious. Tell me, jackass, how is my "very next sentence" a
contradiction of the previous one? Feel free to ignore your claim not
to have even understood the previous one...

Obveeus

Jul 16, 2015, 11:48:02 AM7/16/15
Welcome to the land of Kerman. Don't expect for it to make sense or be
civil.

Adam H. Kerman

Jul 16, 2015, 12:10:10 PM7/16/15
Kiss ass; you two deserve each other.

moviePig

Jul 16, 2015, 4:03:51 PM7/16/15
And a strange land it is, where incivility is the Alpha and the Omega.