I am addicted to "The Real McCoys"

Lynn

Aug 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/12/99

JBSummer wrote...

>Does anyone know what happened to other members of the "McCoys" cast:
>
>Kathleen Nolan .... Kate McCoy

I don't have my browser fired up or I'd check IMDb, but I know Kathy Nolan
did some directing. When is The Real McCoys on? I get TNN, and wouldn't
mind giving it a look. It's been a looooooong time.

Lynn

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Life is a search for the truth; and there is no truth
- Chinese Proverb

JBSummer

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
I confess. I have rediscovered "The Real McCoys" on TNN.

The last time I saw this series was when I was a kid, back in the late fifties,
early sixties. Never appreciated it then. Love watching it now.

Richard Crenna still seems to be active, I know Walter Brennan died some time
ago. Ditto for Andy Clyde (George MacMichael) and Madge Blake (Flora
MacMichael) who used to appear as character actors pretty regularly.

Does anyone know what happened to other members of the "McCoys" cast:

Kathleen Nolan .... Kate McCoy

Lydia Reed ....Hassie
Michael Winkelman .... Little Luke
Tony Martinez .... Pepino

Jim

Dennis

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99

>>Does anyone know what happened to other members of the "McCoys" cast:
>>
>>Kathleen Nolan .... Kate McCoy

Steel Chariots (1997) (TV)
Switch, The (1993) (TV) .... Larry's Mother
Amy (1981) .... Helen Gibbs
... aka Amy on the Lips (1981)
"Testimony of Two Men" (1977) (mini) TV Series .... Myrtle Heger
Limbo (1972) .... Mary Kay Beull
... aka Chained to Yesterday (1972)
... aka Women in Limbo (1972)
"Broadside" (1964) TV Series .... Lt. J.G. Anne Morgan
Iron Sheriff, The (1957) .... Katie
"Real McCoys, The" (1957) TV Series .... Kate McCoy (1957-1962)
... aka "McCoys, The" (1957)
No Time to Be Young (1957)
... aka Big Day, The (1957)
... aka Teenage Delinquents (1957)
Desperados Are In Town, The (1956) .... Alice Rutherford
Peter Pan (1955) (TV) .... Wendy and Jane
"Jamie" (1953) TV Series .... Cousin Liz

------
Filmography

I don't recognise any of the roles. I had a crush on her when I used to watch
reruns of this show when I was about 6-8 years old.
--
Endy
Happiness is reading a good scifi book while listening to XTC :)

~~dancing us from the darkest night is the rhythm of love powered by the
beating of hearts~~ XTC

Remove the .invalid in my email address to email me

JBSummer

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
>>When is The Real McCoys on? I get TNN, and wouldn't mind giving it a look.
It's been a looooooong time.<<

I did a search using Altavista and found nothing. However, I DID find some guy
who is selling a dead battery from Walter Brennan's flashlight <Man, seems
there's a market for anything...>. Don't know if another browser might ferret
anything else out. If you turn up anything, let me know.

Lynn, the McCoys come on twice daily - at 10:30 in the morning and two episodes
back to back starting at 4:00 pm. The 10:30 broadcast is a repeat of the
evening.

I tape 'em and then edit out the commercials.

In my opinion, one of the best characters was Pepino. He is a riot and reminds
me, in some bizarre way, of Desi Arnaz of "I Love Lucy" of the same period.

No, I haven't fallen and hit my head. We are in the midst of moving and we
also just got a puppy. I've quit my job here and am coordinating the move.
That means lots of free time to channel surf : )

You know, in our age of political correctness, the McCoys was ahead of its
time. Pepino, a Mexican farm hand, is treated as a full-fledged member of the
family. But then, on yesterdays episode, Grandpa and Luke were teasing Kate
about being fat. Oh well : )

I've also looked on Amazon.com to see if they have any "MCoys" books about the
show. No luck. Guess the rest of America hasn't rediscovered them...yet.

Take a look. You won't regret it.

Jim

JBSummer

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
>>I don't recognise any of the roles. I had a crush on her when I used to
watch
reruns of this show when I was about 6-8 years old.<<

ME TOO! Looking at the episodes now, I can see why I felt that way. As
Grandpa McCoy would say, "She's about as pretty as a lump o' butter meltin' on
a stack o' wheat cakes."

I would love to dig up some old kinescope or whatever of Walter Brennan in an
interview or non-hayseed role. The earliest WB role I have found is in the
Three Stooges short "Woman Haters". He plays a train conductor but is so
young, you would never know it was WB. Moe said in his autobiography that WB
had trouble remembering his lines : )

Christopher Siciliano

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
If I remember correctly Old Walter has won the most Best Supporting Actor
Oscars

Chance <cgar...@being.net> wrote in message

> jbsu...@aol.com (JBSummer) wrote:
>
> >I would love to dig up some old kinescope or whatever of Walter Brennan
in an
> >interview or non-hayseed role. The earliest WB role I have found is in
the
> >Three Stooges short "Woman Haters". He plays a train conductor but is so
> >young, you would never know it was WB. Moe said in his autobiography
that WB
> >had trouble remembering his lines : )
>

> Try "the Pride of the Yankees," the sentimental biography of Yankees
> slugger Lou Gehrig (before Stephen Hawking, Gehrig was the most famous
> victim of ALS). Gary Cooper plays the martyred ballplayer while
> Brennan plays one of the Yankees executives. It's one of the few roles
> in which Brennan doesn't play a hillbilly, drunkard or cowboy.
> Brennan played Cooper's sidekick, mentor or antagonist in numerous
> films. (i.e., "Meet John Doe," "Task Force," "Sergeant York" & "The
> Westerner").
>
> Brennan seems to be at his best, though, when he's deep in character
> -- and "chewing on the scenery." He's great in "The Westerner," "My
> Darling Clementine," "To Have and Have Not," "Red River" and "Rio
> Bravo." By the time he appeared in "Support Your Local Sheriff" and
> "the Over-the-hill Gang," Brennan was playing a caricature of himself.

Chance

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

Dennis

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

>Brennan seems to be at his best, though, when he's deep in character
>-- and "chewing on the scenery." He's great in "The Westerner," "My
>Darling Clementine," "To Have and Have Not," "Red River" and "Rio
>Bravo." By the time he appeared in "Support Your Local Sheriff" and
>"the Over-the-hill Gang," Brennan was playing a caricature of himself.

I loved that caricature though. In the Real McCoys and The Gnome Mobile when I
was a kid :))

Dennis

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
>Brennan seems to be at his best, though, when he's deep in character
>-- and "chewing on the scenery."

Almost forgot my favorite Brennan series. The Guns of Will Sonnett. In that
series he played it straight and serious. A good place to see what he looked
like when not playing a hayseed.

For those who haven't seen it, (from my faulty memory) he was an elderly gunman
who travelled around the west with his son(s)?. They were gun slingers who
solved other's problems just like the Cartwrights, Virginian etc etc.

The series tag line was when someone would challenge Brennan and he would say
something like
"if you go up agin us, it will be the last time you go up agin anyone. No
brag. Just fact."

Lloyd A. White

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99

Chance wrote in message <37b4d0cd...@supernews.sirius.com>...
>jbsu...@aol.com (JBSummer) wrote:

>Brennan seems to be at his best, though, when he's deep in character

>-- and "chewing on the scenery." He's great in "The Westerner," "My
>Darling Clementine," "To Have and Have Not," "Red River" and "Rio
>Bravo." By the time he appeared in "Support Your Local Sheriff" and
>"the Over-the-hill Gang," Brennan was playing a caricature of himself.

What's remarkable about Brennan, is that he is remembered for playing rural
southerners and wild westerners though he was born and raised in Massachusetts
attending college there to become an engineer.

He had such range he could play characters as diverse as a New York newspaper
man ("Pride of the Yankees") or Judge Roy Bean (" The Westerner"). He was the
first actor to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, which he won a record
three times in five years.

He did have a broad acting style (scenery was chewed and swallowed) that would
be somewhat jarring today, but for his time, he defined the complete character
actor.

-----
Lloyd

JBSummer

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
>>I loved that caricature though. In the Real McCoys and The Gnome Mobile when
I was a kid :))<<

Some of his in-character McCoy lines are classic...

Like tonite, while looking at a taped episode, Grandpa's comments to Luke and
Kate re: problems Hassie is having as a fifteen year old...

"Consarn it...what kinda problems could she be havin'? I didn't have no sech
problems when I was fifteen...I was a might mixed up when I was six and told
the revenooers where the house was but that wadn't nuthin' a good lickin'
didn't set straight..."

Jim

JBSummer

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
>>Almost forgot my favorite Brennan series. The Guns of Will Sonnett. In that
series he played it straight and serious. A good place to see what he looked
like when not playing a hayseed.<<

Is this series being shown somewhere in syndication maybe?

Jim

TGBromley

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
JBSummer asks about "The Guns of Will Sonnett":

>Is this series being shown somewhere in syndication maybe?

As recently as last summer it was still being distributed by King World. WPLG
in Miami aired that series, and "Branded", as replacements for "American
Journal", after KW pulled the plug on its tabloid program.

Tom Bromley tgbr...@aol.com

"Alone and bored on a thirtieth-century night
Will I see you on The Price is Right?
Will I cry? Will I smile
As you run down the aisle?"
-- Steven Page, "It's All Been Done"

Chance

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
endy...@aol.com.invalid (Dennis) wrote:

>Almost forgot my favorite Brennan series. The Guns of Will Sonnett. In that
>series he played it straight and serious. A good place to see what he looked
>like when not playing a hayseed.

>For those who haven't seen it, (from my faulty memory) he was an elderly gunman

>who travelled around the west with his son(s)?. They were gun slingers who
>solved other's problems just like the Cartwrights, Virginian etc etc.

Will was traveling with his grandson. They were looking for Will's son
(the grandson's father). Like most road shows ("the Fugitive," "Route
66," "Run For Your Life" or "Then Came Bronson"), the Sonnetts would
encounter new guest stars, new settings and new problems each week.
Will's son was usually involved in his own adventure some place a few
steps ahead of them. Will Sonnett would often arrive at a new locale
just after his son departed.

>"if you go up agin us, it will be the last time you go up agin anyone. No
>brag. Just fact."

I always liked that line -- but so did most of my junior high peers.
In 1967, I got sick of hearing guys qualify every remark with "No
brag. Just fact."

Chance

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Lloyd A. White wrote:

>He did have a broad acting style (scenery was chewed and swallowed) that would
>be somewhat jarring today, but for his time, he defined the complete character
>actor.

In a character actor, I don't mind such broad performances. One of my
favorite Walter Brennan characters was Stumpy, the crippled jailer in
"Rio Bravo." That performance was nearly over-the-top. The same could
be said of Eddie the drunken deckhand in "To Have and Have Not," but I
always liked his "stung by a dead bee" routine.

While they were more historically accurate, both "Tombstone" and
"Wyatt Earp" lacked a villain as memorable as Brennan's Old Man
Clanton in "My Darling Clementine."

ra...@joesbar.cc.vt.edu

Aug 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/15/99
Dennis <endy...@aol.com.invalid> wrote:
>>Brennan seems to be at his best, though, when he's deep in character
>>-- and "chewing on the scenery."

> Almost forgot my favorite Brennan series. The Guns of Will Sonnett. In that

> series he played it straight and serious. A good place to see what he looked
> like when not playing a hayseed.

Man, I loved that show when I was a kid.

> For those who haven't seen it, (from my faulty memory) he was an elderly gunman
> who travelled around the west with his son(s)?. They were gun slingers who

It was, at first, his grandson and then they found the boy's father.
So it was son and grandson. I remember one scene where Will Sonnett
says something about his son being very fast with a gun, and the his
grandson faster, but that he was faster than either. Later, there
was a scene where all 3 drew their guns and, sure enough, you could see
the old man was first, grandson second, and son last, though it was
all pretty quick. I remember thinking about how they "got it right"
filming the latter scene.

I would like to see that series again, but I think it was only 1 or 2
seasons so there probably aren't enough for syndication. It might
even be black&white, I don't remember.

* Bill Ranck +1-540-231-3951 ra...@vt.edu *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Computing Center *

Lynn

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99
JBSummer wrote...

>Lynn, the McCoys come on twice daily - at 10:30 in the morning and two
episodes
>back to back starting at 4:00 pm. The 10:30 broadcast is a repeat of the
>evening.

Thanks - I finally managed to catch one this afternoon. I was pretty young
when it was on originally, but the one thing I always wondered about; why
weren't they a "nuclear" family? I was always curious why they made Little
Luke a nephew instead of a son.

Lynn

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

JBSummer wrote...

>Actually, he was Luke's little brother. I can't figure that one out
either.

So - what you're telling me is, the Lukes are George Foreman's first family?

Lynn

Aug 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/16/99

Dennis wrote...

>If i faulty memory isn't failing me, seems like they had one or more
episodes
>where Luke and Kate debated starting a family of their own. Maybe they
wanted
>that plot device??

After kind of listening to History of Sex on the History channel tonight,
maybe they were afraid that the audience might <<gasp>> think that Luke and
Kate had sex if Luke was their son.

Lynn
frantically waving fan in front of face to keep from "swooning".

Dennis

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
>Thanks - I finally managed to catch one this afternoon. I was pretty young
>when it was on originally, but the one thing I always wondered about; why
>weren't they a "nuclear" family? I was always curious why they made Little
>Luke a nephew instead of a son.

If i faulty memory isn't failing me, seems like they had one or more episodes

where Luke and Kate debated starting a family of their own. Maybe they wanted
that plot device??

JBSummer

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
>>I was always curious why they made Little Luke a nephew instead of a son.<<

Actually, he was Luke's little brother. I can't figure that one out either.
In the series, Luke and Kate are relative newlyweds. I'd also like to see the
first one...to see the reasons why they migrated to California... I mean, the
series could still have flown with them still living in West Virginny...

JBSummer

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
>>So - what you're telling me is, the Lukes are George Foreman's first
family?<<

Yes : ) Haven't seen one o' them fancy waffle irons a-sittin in the McCoy
kitchen, though...

OR, concerning the Luke/Little Luke situation...Maybe they had to leave West
Virginia for too much in-breedin'...

"Tune in next week on Jerry Springer for the story of Hassie McCoy."

Jim

JBSummer

Aug 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/17/99
>>they were afraid that the audience might <<gasp>> think that Luke and
Kate had sex if Luke was their son.<<

Made no difference to the fifties censors that Grandpa talked lovingly to the
cow, though...

nos...@nospam.com

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
In article <7paoro$i...@dfw-ixnews19.ix.netcom.com>, Lynn <ka...@postmark.net> reshaped the electrons to say:

> Dennis wrote...

>>If i faulty memory isn't failing me, seems like they had one or more
> episodes
>>where Luke and Kate debated starting a family of their own. Maybe they
> wanted
>>that plot device??

> After kind of listening to History of Sex on the History channel tonight,
> maybe they were afraid that the audience might <<gasp>> think that Luke and

> Kate had sex if Luke was their son.

Yea, probably similar to Sweet Pea on Popeye, who is a nephew, not a son.
Wouldn't want people to think Popeye and Olive Oyl did it without being
married ;^)

JBSummer

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
>>> maybe they were afraid that the audience might <<gasp>> think that Luke and
Kate had sex if Luke was their son.<<

You know, that was a little farmhouse too, with five people living in it...and
I'll bet sound carried real well through the walls.

I guess Kate and Luke couldn't even go to the barn when they were feeling
amorous. Didn't Pepino live there?

Plhippen

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99
Does anyone know whatever happened to Lydia Reed who played Hassie on "The Real
McCoys"? A friend of mine had a big crush on her when they reran the show in
the '70s and at that time tried unsucessfully to contact her. My friend did
speak on the phone to Kathy Nolan who was Screen Actors Guild president at the
time.

Paul

AnnieRU

Aug 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/20/99

>From: plhi...@aol.com (Plhippen)

I'm sorry that I don't have any information about Lydia Reed. She was a
charming young actress.

I've always wondered why no reruns of The Real McCoys are ever shown, at least
on my cable system. I think it was on TV for about 5 years. The show was a
huge hit. I loved it as a kid.

I never understood why the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and Green
Acres got so much rerun airplay. When I was a kid, I thought they were just
plain stupid.

Were all the episodes of The Real McCoys in black and white? Those shows
usually taught a lesson along with the laughs like the Andy Griffith Show.

The only black and white shows that are consistently rerun are Andy Griffith
and I Love Lucy. Could that be the problem? The cable companies find most old
black and white shows a hard sell.

I'd love to see the old Jack Benny and Danny Thomas shows, again. Does anyone
get these great old shows on their cable systems?

AnnieRU
"And I am unanimous in that."
-Mrs. Slocombe- "Are You Being Served?"

Plhippen

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Annie:

"Real McCoys" is currently aired on TNN (The Nashville Network). For once it's
refreshing to see reruns of a late '50s/early '60s that's not one of the
less-than-a-handful of shows that have acheived Beatle-like status and are
repeated ad nauseum, that is shows like "Andy Griffith" and "Dick Van Dyke"
(although Nick At Night seems to be phasing out the latter show). Nick did run
"Danny Thomas" in the '80s but not since then. I enjoyed watching obscure shows
on the Nostalgia channel then my cable company dropped it.

Paul

JBSummer

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Were all the episodes of The Real McCoys in black and white? <<

Yep..and they rerun daily on TNN...

Lynn

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
JBSummer wrote...

>Yep..and they rerun daily on TNN...

I was kinda half watching it yesterday, and am wondering - who's Gran'pa is
he? Memory (ha) told me he's Kate's, but he made a comment to Big Luke
about his birth.

Lynn

pkirby

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
AnnieRU wrote:

> I'd love to see the old Jack Benny and Danny Thomas shows, again. Does anyone
> get these great old shows on their cable systems?

I think Jack Benny's program is shown in Canada on the Comedy Network.

--
J.P. Kirby pki...@brunnet.net
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada, Earth

JBSummer

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
>>Memory (ha) told me he's Kate's, but he made a comment to Big Luke
about his birth.<<

I think he is Luke's...

Brent McKee

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99

AnnieRU <rutah...@aol.comedy> wrote in article
<19990820154040...@ng-cc1.aol.com>...

> I'm sorry that I don't have any information about Lydia Reed. She was a
> charming young actress.
>
> I've always wondered why no reruns of The Real McCoys are ever shown, at
least
> on my cable system. I think it was on TV for about 5 years. The show
was a
> huge hit. I loved it as a kid.

Seen on The Nashville Network, mornings and afternoons.

> I never understood why the Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, and
Green
> Acres got so much rerun airplay. When I was a kid, I thought they were
just
> plain stupid.

I liked them, but not because they were intellectually challenging or
depicted anything like real life. Quite the opposite in fact.

> Were all the episodes of The Real McCoys in black and white? Those shows
> usually taught a lesson along with the laughs like the Andy Griffith
Show.

Most likely - started in 1957 ended in 1963 and I don't think most shows
shifted to colour before 1964-65 or so.

> The only black and white shows that are consistently rerun are Andy
Griffith
> and I Love Lucy. Could that be the problem? The cable companies find
most old
> black and white shows a hard sell.

I think that is the biggest problem, and one hwich has been discussed in
this group before.

> I'd love to see the old Jack Benny and Danny Thomas shows, again. Does
anyone
> get these great old shows on their cable systems?

The Comedy Network in Canada shows some of the Jack Benny shows, but by no
means all. In fact their inventory is pitifully small and in no particular
order. A shame since I think Benny was perhaps the greatest comedian of
the century. Magnificent timing and did such great takes.

No sign of "Make Room for Daddy". Again a pity; I have fond memories of
this show.

--
Brent McKee

To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from the
email address

"If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly, in
one which is infinitely worse."
- Margaret Atwood