Is Auction Hunters fake?

tobymax43

Apr 27, 2011, 11:05:49 PM4/27/11
Anyone watch this show? I swear this show is fake.

Two guys bidding on abandoned storage bins. A typical episode is they
spend about 1-3 thousand dollars
and on 4 items - one from each bin they get about 7 - 9K. Really?

One episode they paid 1K for 4 bins. One bin had a rare guitar - worth
4K they got 2.2K for it. Another
bin a rare bicycle worth about 4K they got over 2K. I could understand
one bin in a hundred getting super
rare stuff worth thousands but all the time. These bins are packed
with stuff so you figure if 2 items they
get 4K and two other items totalling total 7K its just to unbelievable
- thats only 4 items out of 2 hundred?

Who would just abandon a storage bin with items worth in the
thousands? They would either just pay
or pull out the items?

I have known people in the past who did this and I remember them
saying if they made 25 percent they were
happy since most of the stuff had to be thrown out.

This show just seems fake and way too good to be true.

suzeeq

Apr 27, 2011, 11:51:29 PM4/27/11

I saw it a couple weekends ago when I was out of town and ran into on
cable after seeing part of the marathon of Storage Wars. I bet they win
bids on a lot of duds. I manage a storage unit property and go through
the abandoned ones to see what's in there. I did find over 40 pieces of
collectible glassware in one, but was only able to get about $170 for
them. That and some other odds and ends and holding a garage sale netted
me about $350 on the contents of 3 units. I did have one guy give me
$200 for a unit I'd just opened up; he saw a couple things in there he
knew he could get more than that I guess. Most people store their extra
junk in them, not anything valuable, at least around here. Maybe in
SoCal, Vegas and FL there's lost coin collections and antique stuff in them.

Bruce Esquibel

Apr 28, 2011, 8:14:37 AM4/28/11
tobymax43 <tob...@comcast.net> wrote:

> This show just seems fake and way too good to be true.

I watch that one and the other, Storage Wars, but I kind of think they are
more re-enactments than fake. I mean, if all of them do that for a living,
where they are hitting a bunch of auctions a week, sooner or later you could
have some good war stories.

A few years ago I went to some of those storage auctions to see what they
were like and it wasn't anything like they show on tv, unless things
changed. For one thing, I'm pretty sure the storage owners go through the
lockers before they are auctioned off, around here (Chicago) anyway. Most
the ads they run for the auction have lists of the items already in print.
It's in general terms, sofa, dresser, box of dinnerware but there is no
mystery with what you are bidding on. One place hauled all the stuff out of
the locker and placed the contents on painted squared in the parking area
where the bidding took place.

What I think is more in the fake catagory is what they say the items value
is and finding a sucker to buy it in a short time. That and the fact that
there is some stragety in bidding. Seems to me if you bid what you think
it's worth and no more, you win, win or lose.

Guess they are running out of ideas for reality tv.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

mbrasher1

May 9, 2011, 10:47:44 AM5/9/11
The laws on storage units differ by state. Here in CA they are very
strict about entering the unit and it does not surprise me that in
some states they might be able to rearrange the contents. I ran a
business out of a storage unit for 5 years. During this time, I saw
auctions and saw the contents of units. Most auctioned units were
people in hard times and the screwups, folks in prison, etc. Some
auctions are of really nice stuff but most are of total crap --
household stuff in cardboard boxes.

What strikes me as fake about AH is this: logistics forms a huge part
of the budget of a business that buys things, moves things and sells
things. Does anyone believe that these guys can go to FL when flights
cost $500 apiece and gas costs $4/gallon? Their profit was just spent
in gas. They would be so much better off staying close to home that
it is obvious the show is fake. Then they arrive in FL and they
discover the local experts in whatever they find?

I do find it entertaining -- always interesting to learn about new
collectibles and stuff. But don't kid yourself. This show is fake.

Nancy2

May 9, 2011, 11:33:13 AM5/9/11

I love it, so who cares if it is?

Actually, people regularly abandon storage units - they can't pay the
rent on it, they die, they forget about it and then they die - lots of
reasons. And you must realize that what we see is the cream of the
crop, so to speak. They don't show us all the failures.

N.

wadd...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2017, 10:58:49 PM12/11/17
I tell you why it's fake. At the end of the show when they are trying to sell the goods they always tell the professional who gives them information on the items always buy their stuff. If the guy says I will give you 2k for the item then they say that they want 6.2k. If it was real then the expert would be telling them to take what they brought back to wherever you got it from but that never happens. Fake fake fake

RichA

Dec 12, 2017, 12:02:37 AM12/12/17

Salting the mine for the gullible.

yang7...@sas.edu.sg

Nov 5, 2018, 10:20:56 AM11/5/18
Everything about tv shows are basically fake!!!

--

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and contains information that

Ubiquitous

Nov 5, 2018, 11:01:01 AM11/5/18
yang7...@sas.edu.sg wrote:
>Everything about tv shows are basically fake!!!

Is this show even on the air?

b...@ripco.com

Nov 6, 2018, 7:05:07 AM11/6/18
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> Is this show even on the air?

Hasn't been since 2015 but I suppose:

1) another idiot groups.google.com user

2) some channel somewhere is doing reruns.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

ibuyu...@googlemail.com

May 25, 2020, 2:21:26 PM5/25/20