The Problem of Fat People in Movie Theaters

BTR1701

Dec 1, 2022, 2:23:22 PM12/1/22
Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.

https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

Message has been deleted

shawn

Dec 1, 2022, 2:59:23 PM12/1/22
On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 19:23:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.

There is an opportunity here for theaters to offer larger seats for an
additional $$$.

>https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

The problem is much worse on airlines if you are in economy. It's
annoying even for regular sized people due to the lack of elbow space.
Plus the fact that you will be in those seats on a plane longer than
you will typically be seating in a theater.
Message has been deleted

suzeeq

Dec 1, 2022, 3:23:17 PM12/1/22
Yep, I sure coulda used a couple more inches on the last flight I took.
I'm not that large a person - my body fit in the seat okay, but the
shoulders were cramped.

moviePig

Dec 1, 2022, 3:30:42 PM12/1/22
The U.S. has an obesity rate of about 1 in 3. It's not clear (to me)
what a "proper" public stance should consist of w/r/t "normalcy".

( https://data.worldobesity.org/rankings/ )

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 1, 2022, 3:34:27 PM12/1/22
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.

>https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

It makes perfect sense to me if the theater posts the dimensions of its
seats. That doesn't require the theater to make modifications.

When I attend the Symphony, the seats at Orchestra Hall (1904) are noticeably
narrower than when I attend the Lyric at the Civic Opera House (1929). It had
major reconstruction in 1993 but it didn't re-install fewer but wider seats.
They were simply more generous. Thinking about seat width has changed
over the years.

BTR1701

Dec 1, 2022, 4:08:54 PM12/1/22
On Dec 1, 2022 at 11:59:19 AM PST, "shawn" <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 19:23:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.
>
> There is an opportunity here for theaters to offer larger seats for an
> additional $$$.

Which will immediately be decried by the 'fat acceptance community' as
discriminatory against 'fat folks'. Fat people shouldn't have to pay more to
experience the same thing as the normal-bodied, they'll say.

Adam H. Kerman

Dec 1, 2022, 4:15:22 PM12/1/22
shawn <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 19:23:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>>Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.

>There is an opportunity here for theaters to offer larger seats for an
>additional $$$.

shawn, when I've tried to explain Georgism to you in the past, you've
rejected its principle, but here you are applying them.

>>https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

>The problem is much worse on airlines if you are in economy. It's
>annoying even for regular sized people due to the lack of elbow space.
>Plus the fact that you will be in those seats on a plane longer than
>you will typically be seating in a theater.

Unless I take a trip to Alaska or Hawaii, I can't imagine every flying
again. I last flew regularly... Wow. It's coming up on 3 decades. It was so
long ago, TWA wasn't yet out of business. I remember when TWA was on its
last legs, it was renting older larger planes that had been fixed up with
fewer, wider seats. American Airlines, with brand-new planes, implemented
the sardine can philosophy. I have a feeling seats are even smaller today.

I'm sure TWA paid a huge penalty on fuel consumption but I didn't care
about the alleged higher risk of flying on an older plane.

A Friend

Dec 1, 2022, 4:57:52 PM12/1/22
In article <tmb5h5$2s9ub$4...@dont-email.me>, Adam H. Kerman
My last flight was in 1996 -- a shortie from Indianapolis to BWI. I
haven't had any reason to fly since. If I can't drive there, I don't
go there. I am old enough to remember being able to just go to a gate,
walk aboard a plane, and sit down.

I might cross the country one day on Amtrak, if I ever get the time.

BTR1701

Dec 1, 2022, 5:19:39 PM12/1/22
I'm taking Amtrak from L.A. to Austin to visit the family for Christmas in
just a couple of weeks. I splurged and got a cabin with a bed for the trip.
Never done it before. Looking forward to it.

A Friend

Dec 1, 2022, 6:25:34 PM12/1/22
In article <EcWcnYfxM73vtRT-...@giganews.com>, BTR1701
I hope you have a great time.

RichA

Dec 1, 2022, 7:04:47 PM12/1/22
On Thursday, 1 December 2022 at 14:23:22 UTC-5, BTR1701 wrote:
> Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.
>
> https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

Someone should just yell, "Free hotdogs!" about 3 mins before the start of the movie, then lock the doors once they've gone.

anim8rfsk

Dec 1, 2022, 11:13:05 PM12/1/22
I probably would’ve done that by now if the passenger stops came within 100
miles of me. 30 years ago my dad and I were going to take the special
summer train that does come through here to Disney World but he decided he
couldn’t leave mom alone that long while mom was screaming LEAVE ME ALONE
LEAVE ME ALONE THAT LONG! The train we would’ve been on met a horrible fate
as it turned out…

For 20 years, starting about 25 years ago now, we used to have an annual
Doc Savage convention here in town. When the guy who put them on retired we
started looking for new venues. The first contender was going to do it in
the Pacific Northwest but his divorce and subsequent unemployment put the
kibosh on that. It then fell to me and my ex but my failing health put a
stop to it. Next in line was a guy in Fort Worth who immediately went into
bankruptcy. Next to try was a good friend of mine in Alabama who fell over
dead last Christmas just standing in the kitchen talking to his wife over a
lovely cup of coffee I had sent them. Then there were a pair of brothers in
Tennessee and the elder died unexpectedly. His younger brother did manage
to put on a get together this year albeit with limited attendance. Just a
couple weeks ago a fan in Florida started trying to raise interest in but
isn’t getting much maybe because everybody was still in a turkey coma. Why
did I start blabbering about this? Oh, yeah, because the ex and I were
going to take the Amtrak first to the Fort Worth gathering and then to the
Alabama gathering but it’s beginning to look like it’s cursed. Definitely
were going to get the private cabin too. It was only another three or 4000
bucks.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 2, 2022, 4:57:24 PM12/2/22
For dinner bring an old uniform and spook the mules and fugitives by walking thru cars.

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 4:28:14 AM12/3/22
On 12/1/22 3:08 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2022 at 11:59:19 AM PST, "shawn" <nanof...@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 19:23:15 +0000, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their seats.
>>
>> There is an opportunity here for theaters to offer larger seats for an
>> additional $$$.
>
> Which will immediately be decried by the 'fat acceptance community' as
> discriminatory against 'fat folks'. Fat people shouldn't have to pay more to
> experience the same thing as the normal-bodied, they'll say.

People come in all shapes, sizes, creeds, colors and ages. Only
assholes have trouble understanding this and the worst of the worst are
anonyshits on top of this. Hope this helps.

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 4:33:22 AM12/3/22
"Looking forward" to a train ride--yeah, that tracks. (No pun intended.)

trotsky

Dec 3, 2022, 4:35:56 AM12/3/22
Well anonyshitted and eunuch'd.

The Horny Goat

Dec 3, 2022, 7:49:58 AM12/3/22
On Thu, 1 Dec 2022 21:15:17 -0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>Unless I take a trip to Alaska or Hawaii, I can't imagine every flying
>again. I last flew regularly... Wow. It's coming up on 3 decades. It was so
>long ago, TWA wasn't yet out of business. I remember when TWA was on its
>last legs, it was renting older larger planes that had been fixed up with
>fewer, wider seats. American Airlines, with brand-new planes, implemented
>the sardine can philosophy. I have a feeling seats are even smaller today.
>
>I'm sure TWA paid a huge penalty on fuel consumption but I didn't care
>about the alleged higher risk of flying on an older plane.

While I am a fairly large guy I've never really had problems on planes
except in the case of Cathay Pacific which is primarily Hong Kong
based and in that part of the world kids are hardly disciplined at all
till age 5 then after that given the strict discipline the Chinese
portion of the world is known for.

Meaning that the worst possible flying situation is being on an 11
hour Vancouver - Hong Kong flight with a 4 year old behind you (3 year
olds are just as noisy but typically have shorter legs) - I had that
experience with a tyke kicking the back of my seat for 2 hours
straight and I was called insensitive for insisting the kid cut it
out.

I was NOT more than minimally leaning back. Of course my worst Cathay
experience was when they were serving from the rear of the plane, I
got my tray and had set it on my fold down table and seconds later
after I had removed my foil the ding a ling in front of me lurched
his seat from completely vertical to all the way back in one motion
and I had to literally catch my tray in mid air.

Fortunately I was successful!

The Horny Goat

Dec 3, 2022, 7:51:25 AM12/3/22
On Thu, 01 Dec 2022 16:57:47 -0500, A Friend <no...@noway.com> wrote:

>My last flight was in 1996 -- a shortie from Indianapolis to BWI. I
>haven't had any reason to fly since. If I can't drive there, I don't
>go there. I am old enough to remember being able to just go to a gate,
>walk aboard a plane, and sit down.
>
>I might cross the country one day on Amtrak, if I ever get the time.

My last was from the West Coast to London, UK. We were GOING to make
the same trip again in August 2020 but everyone here knows why THAT
trip didn't get made!

MummyChunk

Dec 3, 2022, 2:55:44 PM12/3/22

> > On 12/1/2022 2:23 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in
their
> > seats.

https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

> moviePig wrote:
>

> The U.S. has an obesity rate of about 1 in 3. It's not clear (to
me)
> what a "proper" public stance should consist of w/r/t
"normalcy".

> ( https://data.worldobesity.org/rankings/ )

and to think there are those out there to think that this is not
something that is planned (the obesity rate).....

This is a response to the post seen at:
http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=638093625#638093625

Message has been deleted

Ubiquitous

Dec 4, 2022, 7:41:08 AM12/4/22
Do airports still do that thing where they have a seat at the counter
and make fat people sit in it to see if they can fit? Why not do it
for movie theatres?

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Dec 4, 2022, 9:40:28 AM12/4/22
Our movie theaters put in smoochy seats some time ago where the divider
between two seats goes down. Let the fat guys sit there.

> --
> Let's go Brandon!

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 4, 2022, 12:13:07 PM12/4/22
The traveling Cirque du Soliel tent shows had tight bench seating and not everyone in Santa Monica was SoCal svelte. I should have asked a usher for a different spot.

Bering Sea Bar & Brig

Dec 4, 2022, 12:19:38 PM12/4/22
The Marquess of Cholmondeley cancelled your Airbnb stay in the Castle?

MummyChunk

Dec 4, 2022, 3:16:33 PM12/4/22

> > atr...@mac.com wrote:
> >
> > Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in
their
> > seats.

https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people

> Ubiquitous wrote:
>

> Do airports still do that thing where they have a seat at the
counter
> and make fat people sit in it to see if they can fit? Why not do
it
> for movie theatres?
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

I would like to see this actually. And please let the theater
attendance be aggressive about it just like they are at Ryanair

Ubiquitous

Dec 5, 2022, 7:37:44 AM12/5/22
anim...@cox.net wrote:
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> atr...@mac.com wrote:

>>> Apparently it's the theater's fault if you're too fat to fit in their
>>> seats.
>>>
>>> https://mashable.com/article/entertainment-seats-plus-size-fat-people
>>
>> Do airports still do that thing where they have a seat at the counter
>> and make fat people sit in it to see if they can fit? Why not do it
>> for movie theatres?
>
> Our movie theaters put in smoochy seats some time ago where the divider
> between two seats goes down. Let the fat guys sit there.

And make them pay for both seats.

trotsky

Dec 19, 2022, 6:23:35 AM12/19/22
Me too, I hope he's not beset with a night of long knives or needle
dicks or whatever it is he's whining about now.