What Did You Watch? 2022-06-25 (Saturday)

Ian J. Ball

Jun 26, 2022, 12:12:40 PM6/26/22
I completely broke my recent Saturday pattern of watching a bunch of
movies, and instead took a break from that, and spent much of the day
relaxing by doing some genealogical investigations of branch of my
family tree!

It's also a day I cleared a bunch of stuff off my DVR, including all
the season #4 episodes of "The Outpost" (it's available on Freevee
anyway, for anybody that cares!). I am currently down to just *4*
'series passes' on my DVR, and one of these ("Motherland: Fort Salem")
is about to end, so then I'll soon be down to just 3 'series passes'...!

Anyway, yesterday, I watched:

soaps: DOOL - Fri's ep. Basically, nothing of real consequence happened
in this ep (they are once again bringing Sami back to waste her in a
dumb storyline...), but I did really like it when Bonnie Lockhart and
Nancy were playing pinochle(?) with Old Man Kiriakis and Maggie!

golf - Day 3 at the Traveler's in Connecticut turned into a shootout
between Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay, with Sahith Theegala a
little back in third place.

The Last Kingdom (Netflix) - Ep's #5.1 & 5.2.
Pretty good start to season #5. It opens with a reminder that Brita
is now pure EVOL!!1! (Though I would argue that she was EVOL! from the
very start!)
Anyway, they seem to be following the books still, as Britta goes
after Uhtred's son and castrates him (they never actually use those
words, but I know this is what happened in the books, and is what they
were trying to show us...). She then takes over York from the Viking
King Sigtryggr, who married Uhtred's daughter Stiorra in season #4,
expelling Sigtryggr to find Uhtred, while Stiorra hides from Britta and
her forces. Uhtred makes his way to York...
Meanwhile, I guess Aethelflaed (Millie Brady) has breast cancer, and
is about to check out, but Uhtred doesn't know this. Stefanie Martini
is back from season 4 as Eadith. Sonya Cassidy is introduced as a new
love interest for King Edward.
Note: It looks like we've totally departed from history now, as
Aethelflaed's mother should be long since dead in the real history, but
she's still hanging around on the show!

The Ledge (Hulu) - This 2022 flick is one of those movies that makes my
hands sweat while I watch it!!
This stars Brittany Ashworth who earlier played the lead in the 2017
post-apocalyptic monster film "Hostile" (which I think she does a good
job in). In this film, Ashworth's character Kelly, who is a rock
climber intending to climb some Italian alps, witnesses a group of four
male rock climbers murder her best friend (French actress Anaïs
Parello) after the psychopath in the group (Ben Lamb) tried to rape her.
The men realize that Kelly is a witness, and also recorded them, so
they chase after her. But Kelly is an expert mountain climber! So she
ascends the sheer rock face, *free climbing it*. :o This is where my
hands start to sweat, as Kelly climbs thousands(?!) of feet straight
up, without much in the way of hook and ropes, etc.! (Yikes!!) The men
proceed after her (they aren't as good climbers, and so have to use
ropes and such!), after Kelly sends one of the men plummeting down to a
compound leg fracture!
This is a decent thriller effort (though they definitely mess up
with things like *scale* in a few places), if you like this sort of
thing. But I'm pretty sure Kelly's whole backstory is ripped straight
off from "Cliffhanger"! ;)

What did you watch?

Message has been deleted

anim8rfsk

Jun 26, 2022, 2:31:11 PM6/26/22
THE BOYS
Oh, wait, did we discuss that elsewhere?

Ashley Williams *is* TWO TICKETS TO PARADISE
Oh, wait, did we discuss that elsewhere?

VISIBLY REDUCE CROWS FEET, WRINKLES, AND UNDER EYE BAGS IN MINUTES On
comet, six minutes in the middle of the night.
I have no idea why the DVR grabbed this. It wasn’t scheduled to. I thought
maybe it would have some actress I like to used to be young and pretty but
I didn’t recognize anybody in it.

Also the guy who will sell you hundreds of knives is back.

DEATH IN PARADISE S01E05
It’s Poole’s birthday!

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN
Several not great later episodes as I cleared the decks for the vastly
superior first season which actually is now showing up on the schedule!

In “cin hero“ a mild little guy somehow is attracted to wear dangerous
things requiring superman‘s attention are going to occur. Nobody ever
bothers to investigate this power of his.

In “Blackmail” Inspector Henderson throws away the rulebook to catch the
bad guys and gets caught being just as much of a lawbreaker as they are but
his superiors say it’s OK because it worked.

In “the magic secret” Jimmy covers a magic show and writes a glowing review
about how the guy is actually a genuine miracle worker because he can
levitate women. Amateur magician Perry White shows Jimmy it’s a trek by
levitating Lois right there in his office without any preparation or
equipment which pretty much would prove to me that it is a genuine miracle.
Meanwhile an eccentric professor wanders into a mobsters office and tells
him he’s developed something that will kill superman. So they dig a 60 foot
deep perfectly smooth sided perfectly square cornered hole in the desert
and put the killer kryptonite Ray suspiciously right up at the top and lure
Lois and Jimmy into a trap. When superman shows up to rescue them the bad
guys turn on the Ray and now all three are trapped at the bottom. Although
he’s too weak to stand superman can still use the magic gestures (why does
he know these?) To levitate and rotate Lois so that in her horizontal
floating Mezmorized form she’s invulnerable and can stop the walls are
closing in on them (when did these bad guys have time to build closing
walls?)
So jimmy climbs out even though the walls are about 6 feet apart and turns
off the Ray which somehow causes the control bunker with all the bad guys
in it to explode. Superman flies out and tells Lois she’ll just have to
climb out by herself because superman is a dick. No part of this episode
made any sense whatsoever.

Ian J. Ball

Jun 26, 2022, 3:21:47 PM6/26/22
On 2022-06-26 17:26:35 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 6/26/2022 9:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> I completely broke my recent Saturday pattern of watching a bunch of
>> movies, and instead took a break from that, and spent much of the day
>> relaxing by doing some genealogical investigations of branch of my
>> family tree!
>
> Are you using one of the DNA websites?

I'm using *two* of them! (And may eventually add a third!!)

But Ancestry is the one I primarily use for "family tree" stuff. Though
Familysearch.org has an interesting approach to family tree stuff
(basically, their "family tree" is communal to *everyone*!), so I use
that one too (mostly to "clean up" the communal efforts to correct and
expand them).

anim8rfsk

Jun 26, 2022, 4:00:49 PM6/26/22
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
> On 2022-06-26 17:26:35 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:
>
>> On 6/26/2022 9:12 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> I completely broke my recent Saturday pattern of watching a bunch of
>>> movies, and instead took a break from that, and spent much of the day
>>> relaxing by doing some genealogical investigations of branch of my
>>> family tree!
>>
>> Are you using one of the DNA websites?
>
> I'm using *two* of them! (And may eventually add a third!!)
>
> But Ancestry is the one I primarily use for "family tree" stuff. Though
> Familysearch.org has an interesting approach to family tree stuff
> (basically, their "family tree" is communal to *everyone*!), so I use
> that one too (mostly to "clean up" the communal efforts to correct and
> expand them).

I have a 1 to 3 DNA kit that’s been sitting here for a couple of years
waiting for me to get around to spitting on it. I wonder if these things
expire?
Message has been deleted

anim8rfsk

Jun 26, 2022, 5:13:16 PM6/26/22
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
> On 6/26/2022 1:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'm using *two* of them! (And may eventually add a third!!)
>>>
>>> But Ancestry is the one I primarily use for "family tree" stuff. Though
>>> Familysearch.org has an interesting approach to family tree stuff
>>> (basically, their "family tree" is communal to *everyone*!), so I use
>>> that one too (mostly to "clean up" the communal efforts to correct and
>>> expand them).
>>>

> I use ancestry. When I sent in the sample I was expecting maybe a dozen
> at most matches, and it came back with hundreds of matches. Some from
> close relatives who I know, but also from relatives that I never heard
> of before. But after reaching out we were able to make a connection on
> where they fall on my tree. But the overwhelming majority of matches
> are people who I have no idea who they are or where on the tree they
> fall. But since signing up I've been building my family tree over the
> last few years. I keep renewing so I can continue to maintain and
> update my tree.
>

>> I have a 1 to 3 DNA kit that’s been sitting here for a couple of years
>> waiting for me to get around to spitting on it. I wonder if these things
>> expire?
>>

> It probably says on the box if it expires. But is there a deadline to
> return the sample? If not, maybe they'll send a replacement if it is
> expired.

I keep running into stupid problems like I don’t have mail delivery which
makes it difficult to send it back and I probably don’t wanna leave it in
the mailbox in 120°F heat anyway

Ian J. Ball

Jun 26, 2022, 5:32:40 PM6/26/22
On 2022-06-26 20:22:45 +0000, Arthur Lipscomb said:

> On 6/26/2022 1:00 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> I'm using *two* of them! (And may eventually add a third!!)
>>>
>>> But Ancestry is the one I primarily use for "family tree" stuff. Though
>>> Familysearch.org has an interesting approach to family tree stuff
>>> (basically, their "family tree" is communal to *everyone*!), so I use
>>> that one too (mostly to "clean up" the communal efforts to correct and
>>> expand them).
>
> I use ancestry. When I sent in the sample I was expecting maybe a
> dozen at most matches, and it came back with hundreds of matches. Some
> from close relatives who I know, but also from relatives that I never
> heard of before. But after reaching out we were able to make a
> connection on where they fall on my tree. But the overwhelming
> majority of matches are people who I have no idea who they are or where
> on the tree they fall. But since signing up I've been building my
> family tree over the last few years. I keep renewing so I can continue
> to maintain and update my tree.

A large part of what I have been working on over the last several years
is figuring exactly that out. I think I have probably figured out and
ID'ed everybody who is a 4th cousin or better, *if* they have a tree!
(If you don't have a tree, I will likely never figure out the
relationship!!)

But it is also true that I have identified large groups of individuals
that decently genetically match either to me or to one of my sibings
where I have *no* idea how we're related. That is always frustrating.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 26, 2022, 8:01:21 PM6/26/22
The genetic experiments were not limited to a small group, of course! :D

dirty old man.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 26, 2022, 9:12:26 PM6/26/22
On 6/26/2022 2:32 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
Remember to review the recently released 1950 census data. It's slowly
been trickling in, but it does have, for me at least, lots of new
information that you might not already have. I've been working on my
tree for a few years now, but this thread prompted me to go and do a few
updates. And just today using strictly the 1950 data I found well over
a dozen new people to add to my tree.

The more missing people you can fill in the more likely some long lost
relative will see someone on your tree that they do know and help narrow
down the relationship.

Ubiquitous

Jun 27, 2022, 7:14:39 AM6/27/22
IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch?

RIP TIDE:
This week's Decades binge.
It was mostly background noise while I performed chores and errands.

SVENGHOULIE:
"How To Make A Monster". Again.

--
Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 1:46:40 PM6/27/22
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> RIP TIDE:
> This week's Decades binge.
> It was mostly background noise while I performed chores and errands.

Scream, Mimi, scream!

> SVENGHOULIE:
> "How To Make A Monster". Again.
>
> --
> Let's go Brandon!

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 1:46:41 PM6/27/22
Yeah, some of that trickled down to me. And of course mixed me up with my
father. I was active before I was born but I’m dead now.

Dimensional Traveler

Jun 27, 2022, 4:53:01 PM6/27/22
On 6/27/2022 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:

<large genealogy snip>

> Yeah, some of that trickled down to me. And of course mixed me up with my
> father. I was active before I was born but I’m dead now.

Maybe that's why the post office can't deliver mail to you.

anim8rfsk

Jun 27, 2022, 5:42:30 PM6/27/22
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
> On 6/27/2022 10:46 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
> <large genealogy snip>
>>
>> Yeah, some of that trickled down to me. And of course mixed me up with my
>> father. I was active before I was born but I’m dead now.
>>
> Maybe that's why the post office can't deliver mail to you.

I never got a ballot again for our most recent election despite having
actually gotten several notices in the snail mail that I was going to get a
ballot. I suspect all it did was alert the mailman to steal it. That’s the
same thing that happened with the census.

Micky DuPree

Jul 6, 2022, 4:42:03 PM7/6/22
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> writes:

> I use ancestry. When I sent in the sample I was expecting maybe a
> dozen at most matches, and it came back with hundreds of matches.
> Some from close relatives who I know, but also from relatives that I
> never heard of before. But after reaching out we were able to make a
> connection on where they fall on my tree. But the overwhelming
> majority of matches are people who I have no idea who they are or
> where on the tree they fall. But since signing up I've been building
> my family tree over the last few years. I keep renewing so I can
> continue to maintain and update my tree.

Occasionally you might run across a family secret. A blood relative who
was put up for adoption. A half-sibling from a first marriage that no
one in the family talks about. Someone who's supposed to have one
father, but who turns out to have a different one.

-Micky