Wait till your hacked Tesla sends you into a concrete road divider

RichA

Jan 14, 2022, 4:01:17 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Not only can your car allow the STATE to track you, hackers to follow your movements, can be kill-switched at any time by the STATE, now it can be controlled by a remote user.

https://techxplore.com/news/2022-01-teen-hacker-ability-teslas-worldwide.html

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 10:27:14 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
On 1/14/2022 4:01 AM, RichA wrote:
> Not only can your car allow the STATE to track you, hackers to follow your movements, can be kill-switched at any time by the STATE, now it can be controlled by a remote user.
>
> https://techxplore.com/news/2022-01-teen-hacker-ability-teslas-worldwide.html

Yet, there'll come a time when exposing yourself to such "hacking" will
nevertheless cut your personal accident-risk by 90%. Then what?

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 10:38:14 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
I still take the risk. I don't want to be stripped of the ability to drive
my own car. (Or stripped of the right to own a car at all in favor of a
fleet of government run computer-driven Johnny Cabs.)

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 11:40:38 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
But your car already has autonomous safety-features. (Would you turn
off your ABS?) Maybe it'll come down to extraordinary licensing
requirements for you to -- in society's eyes -- endanger others.

chromebook test

Jan 14, 2022, 11:58:45 AM (12 days ago) Jan 14
On Friday, January 14, 2022 at 4:01:17 AM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
> Not only can your car allow the STATE to track you, hackers to follow your movements, can be kill-switched at any time by the STATE, now it can be controlled by a remote user.
>
> https://techxplore.com/news/2022-01-teen-hacker-ability-teslas-worldwide.html

Soon after Hastings's death, questions were raised about the crash that took his life.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hastings_(journalist)#Controversy_over_alleged_foul_play

-----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fRdfVIOr4

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 12:13:34 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
Yes, that'll be one step closer to utopia, won't it? Where any
transportation method beyond a bicycle is government run, tracked, and
controlled, and a freedom people have enjoyed in this country for a century
is deemed to 'endanger society'.

moviePig

Jan 14, 2022, 12:59:31 PM (12 days ago) Jan 14
"Manifest destiny" isn't always about the Pacific Ocean...

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 14, 2022, 2:34:58 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Yes, that'll be one step closer to utopia, won't it? Where any
>transportation method beyond a bicycle is government run, tracked, and
>controlled, and a freedom people have enjoyed in this country for a century
>is deemed to 'endanger society'.

Your personal bicycle isn't tracked, but bikes for short-term rentals
certainly are. Big cities that allow these contracts fine the owners if
the bicycles aren't regularly retrieved and put into one of their docks
or taken back to the warehouse.

Don't forget that the chip in your brain has a transponder that can be
read and written to via satellite communication.

Ed Stasiak

Jan 14, 2022, 2:35:02 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
> BTR1701
>
> Yes, that'll be one step closer to utopia, won't it? Where any
> transportation method beyond a bicycle is government run,
> tracked, and controlled, and a freedom people have enjoyed
> in this country for a century is deemed to 'endanger society'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_law_in_California#Possibility_of_licensing

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 2:44:28 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Yeah, my city looked into doing that but shitcanned the idea as being
completely unworkable when the issue of not only out-of-state but
out-of-city bicyclists came up. We're a beach city and tourist destination.
People come here from all over with their bikes on the backs of their cars
to ride our beach trails and 'quaint' shopping areas. Would they all be
required to stop by city hall and pay to license their bikes before they
could ride here for a couple of hours? If not, then you're gonna have a lot
of residents screaming about fairness and equal protection whenever they
get cited for an unlicensed bike.

In the end, the city council decided it was more trouble than it was worth.

RichA

Jan 14, 2022, 3:08:29 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
I disengage my anti-lock brakes with a button push because i've seen instances where they just do not work fast enough
to stop as quickly as I can and I've avoided accidents twice by doing this. Some of these safety features are created for a class
of people who drive and simply do not pay attention or who have slow reaction times or who PANIC when something goes wrong. Anyone who does pay attention and has fast reflexes can outdo any automated system.

Adam H. Kerman

Jan 14, 2022, 3:34:03 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I disengage my anti-lock brakes with a button push because i've seen
>instances where they just do not work fast enough
>to stop as quickly as I can and I've avoided accidents twice by doing
>this.

Surely that's the traction-control wheels feature, not the anti-lock
breaks. I've never seen a car with that feature though I suppose there
could be. If you don't want to use ABS, you pump the break pedal
yourself but there's just no way in hell you can do that manually faster
than the computer can.

>Some of these safety features are created for a class
>of people who drive and simply do not pay attention or who have slow
>reaction times or who PANIC when something goes wrong. Anyone who does
>pay attention and has fast reflexes can outdo any automated system.

I don't buy it, Rich.

anim8rfsk

Jan 14, 2022, 4:25:00 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Adam H. Kerman <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
> BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Yes, that'll be one step closer to utopia, won't it? Where any
>> transportation method beyond a bicycle is government run, tracked, and
>> controlled, and a freedom people have enjoyed in this country for a century
>> is deemed to 'endanger society'.
>
> Your personal bicycle isn't tracked, but bikes for short-term rentals
> certainly are. Big cities that allow these contracts fine the owners if
> the bicycles aren't regularly retrieved and put into one of their docks
> or taken back to the warehouse.

Those were all over the place for a year or two here, three competing
companies, docks all over the place including at one point my front yard
(!). And then all at once and nothing first they were all gone. Then there
was a brief resurgence of powered scooters and then they were all gone as
well.

ZZyXX

Jan 14, 2022, 4:29:23 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
"I've seen" is the phrase that lets you know a regressive is about to lie

Your Name

Jan 14, 2022, 4:46:49 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Yep, just more useless fads (usually by the Greenie brigade) that were
ill-thought-through and won't ever realy going to work. Same with all
the stupid bike lanes / facilities they're putting in around this city
at massive tax-payer expense to be used by a handful of people. :-\

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 5:22:13 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Excellent sockpuppeteering.

BTR1701

Jan 14, 2022, 6:10:45 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
What does your comment have to do with TV, netkop?

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 7:18:30 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
On 1/14/2022 5:10 PM, BTR1701 wrote:
> ZZyXX <zz...@CampSoda-Restoration-Project.tv> wrote:

>>> I disengage my anti-lock brakes with a button push bec ause i've seen
>>> instances where they just do not work fast enough
>>> to stop as quickly as I can and I've avoided accidents twice by doing
>>> this. Some of these safety features are created for a class
>>> of people who drive and simply do not pay attention or who have slow
>>> reaction times or who PANIC when something goes wrong. Anyone who does
>>> pay attention and has fast reflexes can outdo any automated system.
>>>
>> "I've seen" is the phrase that lets you know a regressive is about to lie
>
> What does your comment have to do with TV, netkop?

Are trying to stick up for the vegetable? Shouldn't you grow a pair of
balls first?

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 7:44:47 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
But but but my freedoms!

LOL.

Sounds like grounds for another insurrection.

trotsky

Jan 14, 2022, 7:57:48 PM (11 days ago) Jan 14
Wait, you want "Rich" to expose himself so the hackers can die laughing?