Forthwith Blue Bloods

Mikey

Oct 25, 2010, 1:38:54 PM10/25/10
IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be
changing chanels FORTHWITH!

I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
single "forthwith"...

These writers are obviously from the snooty uppercrust of the writers
world...

Mikey ;)

thinbluemime

Oct 25, 2010, 2:08:40 PM10/25/10

At the bequest of Mikey, let it be known that forthwith and henceforth and
without menace Mikey won't forbear forthwiths...from the aristocracy at
"BLUE BLOOD"

"Give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything" LOL

--
http://www.lostdude.com

Mikey

Oct 26, 2010, 8:55:51 AM10/26/10

"thinbluemime" <thinbl...@geemail.com> wrote in message

:))))

Mikey :)

Hunter

Oct 26, 2010, 9:15:47 AM10/26/10
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 13:38:54 -0400, "Mikey" <mmin...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be

>changing chanels FORTHWITH!
>
>I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
>single "forthwith"...

---
Were you with any of them during emergency radio calls for assistance?

>These writers are obviously from the snooty uppercrust of the writers
>world...
>
>Mikey ;)

---
"Forthwith" is code for "emergency" in both the FDNY and NYPD:

NYPD:

"When a cop calls a "signal 10-85 forthwith" on himself, it usually
means he's in a world of trouble. Usually, cops will use the "signal
10-85 forthwith" when they need help rather than the "signal 10-13
assist patrolman". That call was reserved for the most serious
incidents.

http://tinyurl.com/2b3prlc

FDNY:

10-48 Request police forthwith for harassment

10-85 Need additional unit(s) (specify forthwith/no emerg.)

http://maxpages.com/frequencies/NYPD_Radio_Codes

Here is a site of a law firm headed by two former NYPD cops:

"10-85 Forthwith
Bringing a combined 41 years of NYPD Experience
THE LAW FIRM OF
Grafstein-Suarez & Associates, PC
Admitted to Practice Law in New York, New Jersey & Connecticut and the
Federal Courts
is available to assist NYC police officers forthwith*
Retired Lieutenant: Glen A. Suarez, Esq. (20 years)
Retired Sergeant, S.A.: David V. Suarez, Esq. (21 years)"

http://www.sidegig.com/sidegig/ATTORNEY.htm

It is the equvalent to the military's "On the double" or "double time"

In the case of the scene in "Blue Bloods" The rookie's training
officer puts out a forthwith in connection to a 10-85 needing
additional units when he thought there was possibly a bomb in the car
that tried to avoid the road block check point by turning around.

I heard it once in "real life" on the 10 part documentary show "NYPD
24/7" in 2005. It was a "Cops" like reality format with camera crews
following NYPD detectives Anti-Crime and patrol units around and in a
radio call one of the detectives did say "forthwith".

Here is a testimonial from a NYPD forum:

"I responded to the 10-85 forthwith put over the air that night by the
officer who was working the "Tag and Tow" detail on the corner of West
175 Street and Amsterdam Avenue. I won't give his name because like
the good cop that he was and still is, he's been haunted by this. P.O.
Williamson, who I never knew nor even met, responded to the 10-85
forthwith. There was a HUGE crowd out there that night going nuts
about the towed livery cars. Pure pandemonium, but we were able to
clear the street. Then an illegal alien named Pedro Gill went to the
roof of 501 West 175 Street, a 6 story building, with a 40 pound
bucket of spackle, and he launched it over the ledge, crushing
Williamson's head. I heard this sudden explosion, and I thought it was
a shotgun blast. There was blood all over coming from his eyes, ears,
nose and mouth. The crowd started cheering wildly in approval. Gill,
an illegal alien, fled to the Dominican Republic but was convinced
into coming back by 34th Precinct Detectives. I wont give their names
either, true professionals and clearly the greatest detectives
anywhere. Gill was arrested for Murder 2nd degree. At trial, he was
found not guilty of murder. The jury said that the NYPD could have
handled the parking situation better, so they acquitted Gil of murder,
finding him guilty of manslaughter. Not a day goes by I don't think of
what happened that night on One Seven Five and Amst."

Andrew DeStefano Captain, NYPD

http://www.nypdangels.com/cop/cop.php?id=47

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Mikey

Oct 26, 2010, 1:56:34 PM10/26/10

"Hunter (Hunter)" <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

Interesting information. I stand corrected....it just sounds funny to those
of us unaccustomed to the NYPD lingo.

Mikey :)

hollyw...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2014, 8:38:37 PM11/25/14
I need an aspirin FORTHWITH!! Driving me nutty. I watch all NY detective/cop shows. They don't use that annoying word.

hollyw...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2014, 8:43:42 PM11/25/14
They may as well say stat. If they use the code for "officer in trouble", what's the need for an extra word such as forthwith. Yes it may be in the manuals but policy and procedure is rewritten by lawyers. Real officers don't actually use the word. I'm in the EMS world. I listen to all emergency response radios. If your in an emergency situation you don't have time for big words trust me. Everything is to the point to keep down band chatter. Just to clear things up...simply.

Hunter <>

Nov 26, 2014, 2:14:21 AM11/26/14
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 17:38:35 -0800 (PST), hollyw...@gmail.com
wrote:

>I need an aspirin FORTHWITH!! Driving me nutty. I watch all NY detective/cop shows. They don't use that annoying word.
----
They're not as accurate. The NYPD does use that term in real life:

"New York Magazine

The Not So Private Eye

[edit]

Their shift on that critical night in March, however, got off to a
quiet, routine start. For a couple of hours, they drove around so
Parlato could check, as sergeants often do, on the cops out on foot
patrol. But just before seven o'clock, the radio began to squawk a
priority code: 1085-Forthwith. 1085-Forthwith. Officers in pursuit
need assistance. Repeat, officers in pursuit need assistance.

"When this happens," says Stanton, "your adrenaline goes from zero to
a hundred in two seconds flat. 'Cause now you hear a cop yelling into
his radio as he's chasing someone. You hear him huffing and puffing,
and you hear all kinds of other noises, and you don't really know
what's going down. You just know you gotta get there. So it's lights
and sirens, and the juices are flowing. I mean, I'm 23 and I'm
Superman. I even had an S on my vest. And I'm thinking, I'm gonna get
the bad guy as my trophy. I'm gonna say to the other cops, 'I beat you
guys.' "

[edit]

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/crimelaw/features/4259/index1.html

"GUN BATTLE AT CLOSE QUARTERS

[edit]

The 911 call, originally "Signal 10-54, difficult breathing" had been
assigned to 122 Precinct Sector Henry. Police Officer Stephen
LaSpina and his partner Police Officer Angela Leszczynski arrived
quickly and the three women directed them to the basement. They ran
downstairs and found the father desperately trying to hold the door
closed. When the cops called for "Anthony" to stop, he became silent.
When Officer LaSpina opened the door a crack, the naked and violent
son lunged at him. The cop slammed the door shut with the aid of the
father. Officer Leszczynski ran to get the protective shield from the
radio car. LaSpina struggled to hold the door shut as he shouted over
his portable radio that he now had a violent EDP (emotionally
disturbed person). As the barricaded male hammered against the door,
LaSpina called for the response of the Emergency Service Unit,
"forthwith.""

[edit]

http://tinyurl.com/l8gqtmc

"Staten Island Advance

Death rides the ferry into St. George
October 16, 2003

[edit]

To do my job takes dispassionate observation, and in that respect I am
like the cop from the 120th Precinct who was one of the first on the
scene. The wind had sandpapered his cheeks the color of mangos. He
stood looking out at the water turned icy gray blue, his earth-colored
hair being lifted by wind fingers playing through its thickness.

"I helped take one guy out of the water...he was alive. They took him
on to St. Vincent's. The call came in just 40 minutes ago from a cop
onboard. She was yelling, 'Need a bus forthwith! Need a bus
forthwith!' A bus is what we call an ambulance. We are going to need a
lot of buses."

[edit]

http://www.artaid.org/statenislandferry.html

"F.D.N.Y. Radio Codes

[edit]

10-51 CANCELLATION OF OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES
Transmitted when outside activities are to be canceled. When the
conditions that caused suspension of outside activities, the following
message will be transmitted by radio, voice alarm and teleprinter:
"All units shall resume outside activity forthwith."

[edit]

http://nyfd.com/radio.html

Also this:

http://www.policemag.com/cop-slang/forthwith.aspx

So yes the NYPD and FDNY do use the term. "Blue Bloods" is just more
accurate on this point than most other cop shows that feature the
NYPD. "NYPD Blue" used to use the term in its scripts all the time as
well.

gsp...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2014, 6:27:38 PM12/16/14
NYPD Blue used it all the time also;

BTR1701

Dec 17, 2014, 2:32:10 AM12/17/14
On Monday, October 25, 2010 1:38:54 PM UTC-4, Mikey wrote:
>> IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be
>> changing chanels FORTHWITH!
>>
>> I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
>> single "forthwith"...

Doesn't matter how many cops you know if none of them are NYPD, because
that particular term is part of their own special jargon. I work with NYPD
every year for about two weeks or so and I hear them use it all the time.

It's unique to them, part of their culture. The show has it right.

FPP

Dec 17, 2014, 6:54:56 AM12/17/14
> On Monday, October 25, 2010 1:38:54 PM UTC-4, Mikey wrote:
>>> IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be
>>> changing chanels FORTHWITH!
>>>
>>> I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
>>> single "forthwith"...

Maybe they like waffles, too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jhrA-DdiOk
--
Q: How do you know when <NoB...@nowhere.com> is lying? A: Ubiquitous
<web...@polaris.net> fingers are moving.

sandl...@gmail.com

May 20, 2015, 12:25:09 AM5/20/15
Funny, people will complain about hearing a word like Fortwith to much on TV but no one ever seems to complain about hearing words like sh%$, b%t%!, or pi$$. I love watching a show that actually trys to focus on truth, family, and God!

Adam H. Kerman

May 20, 2015, 12:44:05 AM5/20/15
There are way too many criminals. It distracts from family and religious
values.

Ian J. Ball

May 20, 2015, 1:45:59 PM5/20/15
In article <mjh3ej$e8g$1...@news.albasani.net>,
I root for the criminals, any time Danny is on screen... ;p

--
"MY NAME! IS OLIVER QUEEN!!" - Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell)

anim8rFSK

May 20, 2015, 2:54:30 PM5/20/15
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-1A2...@88-209-239-213.giganet.hu>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <mjh3ej$e8g$1...@news.albasani.net>,
> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>
> > sandl...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >Funny, people will complain about hearing a word like Fortwith to much
> > >on TV but no one ever seems to complain about hearing words like sh%$,
> > >b%t%!, or pi$$. I love watching a show that actually trys to focus on
> > >truth, family, and God!
> >
> > There are way too many criminals. It distracts from family and religious
> > values.
>
> I root for the criminals, any time Danny is on screen... ;p

Yes

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Adam H. Kerman

May 20, 2015, 3:03:50 PM5/20/15
Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>sandl...@gmail.com wrote:

>>>Funny, people will complain about hearing a word like Fortwith to much
>>>on TV but no one ever seems to complain about hearing words like sh%$,
>>>b%t%!, or pi$$. I love watching a show that actually trys to focus on
>>>truth, family, and God!

>>There are way too many criminals. It distracts from family and religious
>>values.

>I root for the criminals, any time Danny is on screen... ;p

That reminds me: Donnie Walhberg's actings has gotten worse since Boomtown;
he didn't annoy me on that show as he does on Blue Bloods. Therefore, in
a few years, he qualifies for the all-time list of bad actors!

Ian J. Ball

May 21, 2015, 8:39:55 AM5/21/15
In article <mjilqj$6fs$2...@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> >>There are way too many criminals. It distracts from family and religious
> >>values.
>
> >I root for the criminals, any time Danny is on screen... ;p
>
> That reminds me: Donnie Walhberg's actings has gotten worse since Boomtown;

Yes, I definitely think it has.

> he didn't annoy me on that show as he does on Blue Bloods. Therefore, in
> a few years, he qualifies for the all-time list of bad actors!

Dano

May 21, 2015, 3:19:13 PM5/21/15
"Ian J. Ball" wrote in message

In article <mjilqj$6fs$2...@news.albasani.net>,
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> Ian J. Ball <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> >>There are way too many criminals. It distracts from family and religious
> >>values.
>
> >I root for the criminals, any time Danny is on screen... ;p
>
> That reminds me: Donnie Walhberg's actings has gotten worse since
> Boomtown;

Yes, I definitely think it has.

> he didn't annoy me on that show as he does on Blue Bloods. Therefore, in
> a few years, he qualifies for the all-time list of bad actors!

I don't know if the problem is his acting or the way his character is
written. Not a lot an actor can do with that.

chicagofan

May 25, 2015, 5:23:40 PM5/25/15
I agree, Dano! "Danny Reagan" is a jerk, and DW's performance seems to
be on the mark to me. :)
bj

trident...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2016, 2:31:57 AM8/1/16
It appears that " forthwith " is an NYC Public Safety specific term. Down here in Nawlins' we just use words like
" Immediately ", " ASAP ", " Expedite ", sometimes throwing in " like yesterday " as an added form of emphasis, in public safety communications. I've never heard the term " forthwith " more used and abused anywhere but on Blue Bloods television series. Time to get a thesaurus guys!

valej...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2016, 3:57:39 PM10/21/16
Its a NYPD thing mire than ever, that's where it originated from years past.

debi....@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2016, 4:35:52 AM10/28/16
Thank you very much!

jdwj...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2017, 5:35:49 PM2/27/17
i would have to agree forthwith quit using this frigging word forthwith

stuar...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2017, 10:55:52 PM3/2/17
Hahahaha!!!! He's the BEST actor, though! Almost as good as Bridgette when she has to pull off the dreaded dramatic close-up-extended-shot-for-the-most-effect!!
Message has been deleted

charli...@gmail.com

Apr 25, 2017, 9:51:54 PM4/25/17
In 31 years as a LEO, the only time I hear it is on TV. The answer is, it's Yankee cop speak.

jojet...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2017, 12:16:01 AM6/9/17
Will that's in New York.i love Blue Bloods.

stuart...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2018, 11:18:18 PM2/5/18
On Monday, October 25, 2010 at 12:38:54 PM UTC-5, Mikey wrote:
> IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be
> changing chanels FORTHWITH!
>
> I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
> single "forthwith"...
>
> These writers are obviously from the snooty uppercrust of the writers
> world...
>
> Mikey ;)

You need to understand that NYPD cops often speak in the same language that their reports will be written in. That's why words like "forthwith" and "perpetrator" have become part of their everyday parlance.

Rhino

Feb 5, 2018, 11:32:44 PM2/5/18
You realize you just replied to an 8 year old post, right?

--
Rhino

rayne.whi...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2018, 9:34:21 AM2/6/18
Mikey: My dad used the term 'forthwith' all the time. He served as a Marine for some 28yrs b4 retiring (20yrs is retired from military), cont'd as a civilian & a professor on-base, entered the police academy a few years later. He worked up the ranks as a state trooper, worked up from patrol officer to Sgt, then earned his gold shield (detective). In his mid- to late-80s, he was a volunteer fireman. After he collapsed & one of his fellow firefighters found him; Dad had a heart attack requiring 5 stents to be placed surgically. His cardio doc refused to approve him to return to active duty, tho he was in the midst of a 5mi walk when he collapsed. Dad & I used to meet up in the mornings for a 10mi run before work. And, we made the same run over the weekend & holidays.

There are many, many terms he used that were carryovers from his time as a Marine & his time as a cop. Hunter's remarks are spot-on. The only thing I can add to it is that when there are plain clothes cops or off-duty cops in the area then that is sent out over the radio when making the call. This is so other cops know they are there so they don't get into a shooting match. Dad also worked in areas where plain clothes officers have to have the "color of the day" in order to do the same.

Yes, I realize this is old but I wanted to add it after finding this post. Some really great info here. I've been binge-watching Blue Bloods for a few weeks now & I'm about caught up to Season 8, which is also where I began watching the show.

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 6, 2018, 10:52:05 AM2/6/18
The Internets would break if Google Groupers had the ability to read
date headers. Even more helpful is their inability to quote, given that
the precursor article has undoubtably expired on one's News server.

pms...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2018, 8:20:21 PM3/14/18
On Monday, October 25, 2010 at 1:38:54 PM UTC-4, Mikey wrote:
> IF I hear one more forthwith coming from the detective's mouth, I will be
> changing chanels FORTHWITH!
>
> I know a lot of cops, and I've never heard a single one of them utter a
> single "forthwith"...
>
> These writers are obviously from the snooty uppercrust of the writers
> world...
>
> Mikey ;)

Come on! I just started watching this show but it is obvious that the writers are simply using the word as their own personal joke. If they ever release bloopers of the show, you are going to see the actors gagging every time they have to say it. The writers are just having fun with it.
Message has been deleted

Rhino

Jul 26, 2018, 12:49:10 PM7/26/18
On 2018-07-26 3:04 AM, degi...@gmail.com wrote:
> Agreed. I’m late to watching this show, but I appreciate the values, faith, and morality. It’s a rare in both movies & tv shows.
>
> We need more of this in Hollywood.

We may need it but it's pretty clear we aren't going to get it. Did you
see the announcement earlier this week about the new transgender
superhero? Hollywood is NOT going in the direction you or I might like....

--
Rhino

nileh...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2018, 2:59:27 PM8/28/18
Danny is the perfect example of a bad cop! Breaks rules on a regular basis, hits and threatens possible perpetrators!! He has a serious anger control problem!!

seesp...@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2018, 1:41:38 PM11/8/18
I searched, "blue bloods and forthwith" and your post came up. HILARIOUS! I casually scrolled down to see other peoples' comments, blah, blah, blah. I still think your original post is spot on. Blue Bloods is the show I watch when I'm bored. There are so many inaccuracies, it's laughable.

davepra...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2018, 7:10:26 PM11/14/18
On Thursday, November 8, 2018 at 12:41:38 PM UTC-6, seesp...@gmail.com wrote:
> I searched, "blue bloods and forthwith" and your post came up. HILARIOUS! I casually scrolled down to see other peoples' comments, blah, blah, blah. I still think your original post is spot on. Blue Bloods is the show I watch when I'm bored. There are so many inaccuracies, it's laughable.

If you type "forthwith blue" immediately it knows you're going to type bloods. Shows how overused it is!

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 15, 2018, 1:13:58 AM11/15/18
For a thread from 2010, it's pretty active.

velez...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2019, 9:44:15 PM1/16/19
I thought it was ridiculous so I asked a buddy who is an NYPD detective. He said he's never seen the show, but from what he's heard from co-workers it's one of the most accurate depictions. And yes they do use the word forthwith for all emergencies and any time something needs to be done in a hurry. Looks like the writers actually did some research.

mykickas...@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2019, 7:38:43 PM6/11/19
Lmao. I am new to watching. So started as season 1. By episode 4 my husband and I were wondering WTF is up with the overuse of forthwith?

BTR1701

Jun 11, 2019, 8:58:52 PM6/11/19
In article <8bfbc510-27f9-42b5...@googlegroups.com>,
mykickas...@gmail.com wrote:

> Lmao. I am new to watching. So started as season 1. By episode 4 my
> husband and I were wondering WTF is up with the overuse of forthwith?

No, you're someone with mental health issues who shows up here every 2-3
months under a different screen name and asks the same moronic question
about one word on a TV show, and which has been explained over and over
again.

e9mg...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2019, 11:11:06 PM7/24/19
Mikey I think this term is used mostly in NY. If you ever saw the old NYPD Blue this term was used a lot there also.

thejer...@gmail.com

Sep 19, 2019, 12:19:24 PM9/19/19
Hahahaha I feel the same way