Religious groups want "Boston Public" investigated

David

Feb 5, 2002, 9:54:47 PM2/5/02
Religious, Family Groups Target Boston Public

By Bill McConnell
Broadcasting & Cable
2/5/2002 5:59:00 PM

Family and children's-advocacy groups are asking Federal
Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell to investigate
whether Fox program Boston Public has violated the commission's
indecency rules.

'Boston Public and its ilk do not belong in prime time when any child
in America can see them,' the groups said in their letter.

Organizations signing on to the complaint include Focus on the Family,
the National Association of Evangelicals, Morality in Media, the
Christian Coalition, the Family Research Council and others.

Boston Public story lines they criticized specially include:

• A female candidate for class president performing oral sex on a male
opponent for his support.

• A student earning extra money as a stripper.

• A teacher's affair with a student.

• A deceased teacher's journal describing sexual fantasies about a
young girl.

• A young teacher boasting that the best part of an affair with a
recent graduate was the feeling of power.

The groups used the letter to lambaste Fox and parent News Corp.
Rupert Murdoch in general, noting that in 1999, William Bennett warded
Fox with the 'Silver Sewer Award.'

Phil from Chicago

Feb 5, 2002, 9:59:08 PM2/5/02
I wouldn't mind seeing Boston Public go off the air. I'm no fan of those
storylines either

Phil is RAT's Pro Wrestling Ambassador

"you've got words such as pasghetti and mamato, you've made several threatening
references to the U.N. and at the end you repeat the words SCREW FLANDERS over
and over!"
-Homer's first try at being a food critic

IceBlast

Feb 5, 2002, 10:07:19 PM2/5/02
Those jack-asses who want to censor free speech need to kiss off. This is
just like that dumb bitch who tried to get Married...With Children taken off
the air back in the day. You know what? IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, CHANGE THE
DAMN CHANNEL or get away from the TV and do something productive.

IceBlast

David Levy

Feb 5, 2002, 10:28:18 PM2/5/02
David wrote:

[snip]

> Organizations signing on to the complaint include Focus on the Family,
> the National Association of Evangelicals, Morality in Media, the
> Christian Coalition, the Family Research Council and others.

I dislike "Boston Public," but now that I'm aware of the above groups'
outrage, I hope that it stays on the air for many years to come.

David Levy

manhn

Feb 5, 2002, 11:01:23 PM2/5/02

"David Levy" <d_l...@lifeisunfair.net> wrote in message

The weird thing is is that this show actually supports prayer in school.

Lewis.

Ian J. Ball

Feb 5, 2002, 11:09:05 PM2/5/02
In article <sd816u09imncehgtm...@4ax.com>,
David Levy <d_l...@lifeisunfair.net> wrote:

And I don't give a rat's ass about the show, but now knowing that so many
are outraged at the "censors" trying to get it yanked, I hope the
"censors" succeed! ;p

--
Ian J. Ball | "You know why I left you to die? - Because you're so
TV lover, and | uncompromisingly *inferior*!" - Tyr Anasazi,

Gary L. Dare

Feb 6, 2002, 12:28:55 AM2/6/02
You cannot BUY publicity like this!!! (-;

This is exactly the excuse that (e.g.) Bill O'Reilly
needs to get this Fox Network show onto the Fox
News Channel ...

gld

Gyumaoh

Feb 6, 2002, 12:30:35 AM2/6/02
"Boston Public" sucks.

It's about the most unrealistic portrayal of high school I've ever seen;
despite all the "modern issues" it pathetically tries to tackle.

I'm glad the Jesus-freaks have focused their energies on a crappy show instead
of a good one this time.

"They don't want to LEARN! They don't want to LISTEN!!"

tim gueguen

Feb 6, 2002, 1:08:53 AM2/6/02

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Religious, Family Groups Target Boston Public
>
> By Bill McConnell
> Broadcasting & Cable
> 2/5/2002 5:59:00 PM
>
> Family and children's-advocacy groups are asking Federal
> Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell to investigate
> whether Fox program Boston Public has violated the commission's
> indecency rules.
>
> 'Boston Public and its ilk do not belong in prime time when any child
> in America can see them,' the groups said in their letter.
>
> Organizations signing on to the complaint include Focus on the Family,
> the National Association of Evangelicals, Morality in Media, the
> Christian Coalition, the Family Research Council and others.

Funny tho' isn't it that they never go after the soaps, many of which are on
tv "when any child in America can see them." Could it be that they know a
large percentage of their "customer" base watches such programs?

tim gueguen 101867

Andy Jakcsy

Feb 6, 2002, 1:37:09 AM2/6/02

Organizations signing on to the complaint include Focus on the Family,
the National Association of Evangelicals, Morality in Media, the
Christian Coalition, the Family Research Council and others.

When Dr. Dobson phones the PTC and brings them on board, we'll have ourselves a
GRAND ol' witch hunt!

(At least he tries to be as central as possible in his radio vignettes...but
fails miserably...)

Richard Hudson

Feb 6, 2002, 2:55:36 AM2/6/02

>Funny tho' isn't it that they never go after the soaps, many of which are on
>tv "when any child in America can see them." Could it be that they know a
>large percentage of their "customer" base watches such programs?

Or mabye because the soap operas air when children are or at least should be IN
SCHOOL!

Richard Hudson

IceBlast

Feb 6, 2002, 6:51:13 AM2/6/02

"Richard Hudson" <rhuds...@aol.com> wrote

> Or mabye because the soap operas air when children are or at least should
be IN
> SCHOOL!

If these parents can't keep their children from tuning into a certain
channel, what makes you think they can make them go to school? :)

IceBlast

Randy

Feb 6, 2002, 6:56:02 AM2/6/02
In article <20020205215908...@mb-fy.aol.com>,

The issue isn't whether or not BP is liked or not, it's some dumbass
religious groups attempting to impose their views on others. What
would your reaction be if the WWF was their target?

Phil from Chicago

Feb 6, 2002, 7:05:28 AM2/6/02
>The issue isn't whether or not BP is liked or not, it's some dumbass
>religious groups attempting to impose their views on others. What
>would your reaction be if the WWF was their target?

first of all those storylines involve adults not teenagers which under the law
are still defined as children. Plus I'm not 100% behind every storyline the
WWF does either I've seen some real crap the WWF creative team has done. I
just don't care for Boston Public because the show does a terrible job of
capturing what a real high school is like Hell the high school in Dangerous
Minds was more real than that terrible fantasy world. Plus I've never liked it
from the beginning no church leader is going to change my mind on anything

To...@fred.net

Feb 6, 2002, 9:31:32 AM2/6/02
Problem is, the scenes they cite are from *last* season.

Have they come up for air since last year?

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr

* Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support
* "Hello, girls.... I'm the Easter Bunny!" - Janet Reno, "South Park"
* Look out! If Bender says "ass", Katherine Harris will appear!
* This .sig brought to you by the "Boxleitner/Doyle-2004" Election
Committee.

"I read "Free Mumia Abu-Jamal" so many times, it was starting to sound
like a mail-in order - add $5.95 shipping and handling." - Kathi

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999

tim gueguen

Feb 6, 2002, 10:29:39 AM2/6/02

"Richard Hudson" <rhuds...@aol.com> wrote in message
Depends on the market and the program, and for that matter the schedules of
individual schools. For example All My Children appears at noon hour in
this market because of the US station our cable system uses, when lots of
kids are home for lunch. Furthermore kids are not in school 365 days a
year.

tim gueguen 101867

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 6, 2002, 10:31:38 AM2/6/02
A little bird told me that on Wed, 06 Feb 2002 06:08:53 GMT, in
rec.arts.tv <VL388.29505$Jq.15...@news2.calgary.shaw.ca> "tim
gueguen" <ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca> virtually chirped:

>Funny tho' isn't it that they never go after the soaps, many of which are on
>tv "when any child in America can see them." Could it be that they know a
>large percentage of their "customer" base watches such programs?

I cannot imagine that many fundies would be interested in soaps,
which, BTW, primarily are broadcast when children old enough to make
decisions about their own viewing, are in school, although, yes, many
fundies do do home schooling, still, ... very unlikely that they tune
in to that part of daytime. They have whined about the values on soaps
in the past but I don't think they've ever made them a major focus.

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"We must believe the things We teach our children" - Woodrow Wilson

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 6, 2002, 10:33:55 AM2/6/02
A little bird told me that on Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:28:18 -0500, in
rec.arts.tv <sd816u09imncehgtm...@4ax.com> David Levy
<d_l...@lifeisunfair.net> virtually chirped:

>I dislike "Boston Public," but now that I'm aware of the above groups'
>outrage, I hope that it stays on the air for many years to come.

Yep.

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"There are three great things in the world: There is religion, there
is science, and there is gossip." - Robert Frost

J. Stone

Feb 6, 2002, 10:39:04 AM2/6/02
I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit I
cringe
and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially when he ask me
"what does that mean"?.

Mark E. Mallett

Feb 6, 2002, 11:22:35 AM2/6/02
In article <VL388.29505$Jq.15...@news2.calgary.shaw.ca>,

tim gueguen <ad...@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca> wrote:

>Funny tho' isn't it that they never go after the soaps, many of which are on
>tv "when any child in America can see them."

or commercials..

or MTV (although perhaps they have conceded defeat in that one; still,
complaints about Boston Public seem irrelevant).

-mm-

--
Mark E. Mallett | geezer at http://www.geezer.org/
MV Communications, Inc. | http://www.mv.com/
Mark E. Mallett | geezer at http://www.geezer.org/
MV Communications, Inc. | http://www.mv.com/
NH Internet Access since 1991 | (603) 629-0000 / FAX: 629-0049

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 11:23:47 AM2/6/02
On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:54:47 GMT, David wrote:

>'Boston Public and its ilk do not belong in prime time when any child
>in America can see them,' the groups said in their letter.

You wonder if these people have ever read the Song of Solomon, or if
they know where the off switch is on their TV.
--
userb3

"A religion which requires persecution to sustain it is of the devil's propagation"
Hosea Ballou

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 11:25:45 AM2/6/02
On 06 Feb 2002 02:59:08 GMT, Phil from Chicago wrote:

>I wouldn't mind seeing Boston Public go off the air. I'm no fan of those
>storylines either
>

>Phil is RAT's Pro Wrestling Ambassador

Personally, I'm no fan of professional wrestling, and think its bad for
kids. So I discourage mine from watching it. If you think its great,
then watch away! No need to get the FCC involved. How hard is that?
--
userb3
Music and art education produce better mathemeticians, better scientists, better historians, and even better athletes.

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 11:27:43 AM2/6/02
On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:28:18 -0500, David Levy wrote:

>I dislike "Boston Public," but now that I'm aware of the above groups'
>outrage, I hope that it stays on the air for many years to come.

It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.

IAPW

Feb 6, 2002, 11:31:42 AM2/6/02
In article <3C614E17...@pilot.msu.edu>,

J. Stone <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
>I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit I
>cringe and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially
>when he ask me "what does that mean"?.

Then why do you watch it? If you want to watch a show which won't
embarass you by sexual references and is very, very wholesome you should
watch Dawson's Creek.
--
"I like internet freaks; they're all right by
me." Thora Birch

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 11:29:55 AM2/6/02
On 06 Feb 2002 05:30:35 GMT, Gyumaoh wrote:

>It's about the most unrealistic portrayal of high school I've ever seen;
>despite all the "modern issues" it pathetically tries to tackle.

Interesting. My wife (a public high school teacher) and my son (a
public high school student) both think it does a good job of presenting
a variety of issues in a realistic fashion.

Lori

Feb 6, 2002, 11:39:31 AM2/6/02
"userb3" <use...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 02:54:47 GMT, David wrote:
>
>>'Boston Public and its ilk do not belong in prime time when any child
>>in America can see them,' the groups said in their letter.
>
>You wonder if these people have ever read the Song of Solomon, or if
>they know where the off switch is on their TV.

Oh but the Song of Solomon is just a metaphor for God and his church,
didn't you know? It's not REALLY about sex. Plus there are no pictures.

</sarcasm>

++
Lori

J. Stone

Feb 6, 2002, 11:34:23 AM2/6/02

userb3 wrote:

I remember a 5 year old neighbor kid imitating obscene gestures and bad language he saw on WWF. Bad parenting I guess.

J. Stone

Feb 6, 2002, 11:37:25 AM2/6/02

userb3 wrote:

A lot of it is probably over the top but I think some of it hits home. I heard that
a number of high school teachers have talked to the actors and told them how
much the story lines are similar to what they are going through.

I remember a befuddled old high school teacher who was similar to (sorry I know
I'm going to misspell his name) Lipshitz.

J. Stone

Feb 6, 2002, 11:38:39 AM2/6/02

IAPW wrote:

Why? because I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 6, 2002, 12:29:38 PM2/6/02
A little bird told me that on Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:27:43 -0600 (CST),
in rec.arts.tv <hfreolnubbpbz....@news.alt.net> "userb3"
<use...@yahoo.com> virtually chirped:

>It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
>Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
>the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.

For its first year it wasn't even on the air in Tupelo, MS, because of
those particular few nuts.

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"According to a new poll, a majority of Americans think that Al Gore
will win if he faces off against George W. Bush in the 2004 election.
Of course, they don't think Gore will become President, they just
think he'll win." - Conan O'Brien

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 6, 2002, 12:30:24 PM2/6/02
A little bird told me that on Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:29:55 -0600 (CST),

>Interesting. My wife (a public high school teacher) and my son (a

>public high school student) both think it does a good job of presenting
>a variety of issues in a realistic fashion.

Whoa, something must be wrong then because realism isn't their goal.

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"Celebrity is good for kick-starting ideas, but often celebrity is a
lead weight aroung your neck." - Sting, interview in Mojo, Feb 1995

IceBlast

Feb 6, 2002, 1:37:31 PM2/6/02

"J. Stone" <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote

> Why? because I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

Why watch TV at all if it makes you uncomfortable?

IceBlast

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 2:09:59 PM2/6/02
On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:29:38 -0500, Donna L. Bridges wrote:

>>It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
>>Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
>>the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.
>
>For its first year it wasn't even on the air in Tupelo, MS, because of
>those particular few nuts.

It was on in Memphis, and I'm nearly certain you can pick up channel 13
in Tupelo.

userb3

Feb 6, 2002, 2:12:47 PM2/6/02
On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 11:37:25 -0500, J. Stone wrote:

>userb3 wrote:
>> Interesting. My wife (a public high school teacher) and my son (a
>> public high school student) both think it does a good job of presenting
>> a variety of issues in a realistic fashion.

>A lot of it is probably over the top but I think some of it hits home.

It is drama - if it was entirely realistic, it'd be boring. But the
basic issues - the problems facing school administrations, faculties,
students, and parents are pretty well on target.

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 6, 2002, 2:23:49 PM2/6/02
A little bird told me that on Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:09:59 -0600 (CST),

>On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:29:38 -0500, Donna L. Bridges wrote:

>>>It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
>>>Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
>>>the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.
>>
>>For its first year it wasn't even on the air in Tupelo, MS, because of
>>those particular few nuts.
>
>It was on in Memphis, and I'm nearly certain you can pick up channel 13
>in Tupelo.

At first you couldn't get it on cable on the Memphis channel for some
local/non-local cable channel reason & then you could get it & I began
watching it on the extra ABC channel out of Memphis & then Tupelo's
more local channel began carrying it as well.

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so
long to begin it." - Richard L. Evans

The Girl Connor

Feb 6, 2002, 1:31:31 PM2/6/02
"David" wrote
> Family and children's-advocacy groups are asking Federal
> Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell to investigate
> whether Fox program Boston Public has violated the commission's
> indecency rules.
<snip>

I've never actually seen it. Maybe it's simply too racy for its timeslot?

I have to say that drumming up this much controversy is just going to
attract new viewers. I think the same publicity did so for the Abercrombie
& Fitch catalog a few years back.

Connor
--
"I don't know why you're not Snow Queen.
But I do know this...I am Snow King. And

Bill Steele

Feb 6, 2002, 3:07:08 PM2/6/02
In article <3c609ad6...@news.mhogaming.com>, diml...@yahoo.com
(David) wrote:

> Boston Public story lines they criticized specially include:
>
> • A female candidate for class president performing oral sex on a male
> opponent for his support.
>
> • A student earning extra money as a stripper.
>
> • A teacher's affair with a student.
>
> • A deceased teacher's journal describing sexual fantasies about a
> young girl.
>
> • A young teacher boasting that the best part of an affair with a
> recent graduate was the feeling of power.

Presumably these moralists would prefer that such events not be discussed,
so that in the real world they can continue uninterrupted.

Annie Keitz

Feb 6, 2002, 3:32:15 PM2/6/02
On 06 Feb 2002 07:55:36 GMT, rhuds...@aol.com (Richard Hudson)
wrote:

>>Funny tho' isn't it that they never go after the soaps, many of which are on

>>tv "when any child in America can see them." Could it be that they know a

>>large percentage of their "customer" base watches such programs?
>

>Or mabye because the soap operas air when children are or at least should be IN
>SCHOOL!

Not all of them. In some timezones General Hospital and Guiding Light
air at 3:00 pm...

Annie

Lynn

Feb 6, 2002, 4:37:17 PM2/6/02
"J. Stone" <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote...

> I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit
> I cringe and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially
> when he ask me "what does that mean"?.

Sounds like a perfect parenting opportunity.
--
Lynn

http://www.lynnsland.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Life is a search for the truth; and there is no truth
- Chinese Proverb
* Netiquette: http://www.lynnsland.com/Netiquette.html *
* West Wing: http://www.lynnsland.com/Tww.html *

Lynn

Feb 6, 2002, 4:38:08 PM2/6/02
"userb3" <use...@yahoo.com> wrote...

> You wonder if these people have ever read the Song of Solomon, or if
> they know where the off switch is on their TV.

I suspect the power comes, not from turning off their own TVs, but in
turning off yours.

Randy

Feb 6, 2002, 6:39:22 PM2/6/02
In article <3c615...@news.nwlink.com>, IAPW <lk...@my-deja.com>
wrote:

> In article <3C614E17...@pilot.msu.edu>,
> J. Stone <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
> >I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit I
> >cringe and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially
> >when he ask me "what does that mean"?.
>
> Then why do you watch it? I

Probably because he's a good parent and would rather have the
opportunity to discuss these things with his son as opposed to having
his son "learn" these things outside the home. You can't keep them
sheltered outside your home, might as well deal with these issues in
the home.

Randy

Feb 6, 2002, 6:42:33 PM2/6/02
In article <20020206070528...@mb-cc.aol.com>,
level4...@aol.comNONONO (Phil from Chicago) wrote:

> >The issue isn't whether or not BP is liked or not, it's some dumbass
> >religious groups attempting to impose their views on others. What
> >would your reaction be if the WWF was their target?
>
> first of all those storylines involve adults not teenagers which under the
> law
> are still defined as children. Plus I'm not 100% behind every storyline the
> WWF does either I've seen some real crap the WWF creative team has done. I
> just don't care for Boston Public because the show does a terrible job of
> capturing what a real high school is like Hell the high school in Dangerous
> Minds was more real than that terrible fantasy world. Plus I've never liked
> it
> from the beginning no church leader is going to change my mind on anything

Apparently, you didn't read what I wrote. The issue is some religious
group attemping to impose *their* views on you. How would you feel if
the WWF was their target? Whether one likes or dislikes wither show
is irrelevant.

PkJ0891

Feb 6, 2002, 11:58:24 PM2/6/02
J. Stone <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:

>IAPW wrote:
>
>> In article <3C614E17...@pilot.msu.edu>,
>> J. Stone <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote:
>> >I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit
>> >cringe and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially
>> >when he ask me "what does that mean"?.
>>
>> Then why do you watch it? If you want to watch a show which won't
>> embarass you by sexual references and is very, very wholesome you should
>> watch Dawson's Creek.
>

>Why? because I know I'm fighting a losing battle.

Those embarrassing moments can be used to good advantage, especially with a
12-year-old. If you think your son isn't being exposed to sex in other ways,
you're kidding yourself. It might be awkward to discuss stuff like that, but
it's better than not talking. Use those moments as a starting point. I think
you're making a wise decision to watch the show with your kid. You know what
he's watching, you're spending time with him (as I did with my son and the
WWF), and you get the chance to make a point or two about difficult subjects as
a natural outgrowth of what you're watching, rather than having to bring up
touchy subjects cold, with no common reference. This is a good thing.
PKJ

Gyumaoh

Feb 7, 2002, 12:28:29 AM2/7/02
>A lot of it is probably over the top but I think some of it hits home. I
>heard that
>a number of high school teachers have talked to the actors and told them how
>much the story lines are similar to what they are going through.

Well, there you go. It seems to be over-the-top propaganda for teachers'
unions.

None of the teachers at my high school would have been so tolerant of the kids'
antics.

"No, we can't make him take down the web page... that would be violating his
right to free speech!", etc.

Give me a break.

Matt Miller

Feb 7, 2002, 3:27:39 AM2/7/02
says...
>Religious, Family Groups Target Boston Public
>
>By Bill McConnell
>Broadcasting & Cable
>2/5/2002 5:59:00 PM

>Family and children's-advocacy groups are asking Federal
>Communications Commission chairman Michael Powell to investigate
>whether Fox program Boston Public has violated the commission's
>indecency rules.

I think it's absurd that the FCC even has such a power, let alone
that these people are asking them to invoke it. However Boston Public is
a crap show filled with weak people which seems to be mostly designed to
advocate moral resignation.

I'm an atheist through and through, wasn't even raised in a
religion. But I'm seriously annoyed by this "Oh well what can you do?"
sort of attitude. No god is going to come along to make things better, we
have to take care of them ourselves.

If kids are spending more time on their genitals than their minds
we have a problem, just shrugging your shoulders doesn't cut it. Moral
decay is not inevitable. Drunk driving has been successfully made into an
unacceptable activity, other things can to.

And indeed kids are having less sex and doing fewer drugs than they
did in the past. Which is my biggest beef with this show. It just isn't
real. It's not just over the top, it doesn't represent the modern teenage
experience. Kids today just don't get enough credit, and Boston Public
isn't helping the situation.

--
-Matt Miller
Now available in mint!

shoof

Feb 7, 2002, 8:42:45 AM2/7/02

"userb3" <use...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 05 Feb 2002 22:28:18 -0500, David Levy wrote:
>

> >I dislike "Boston Public," but now that I'm aware of the above groups'
> >outrage, I hope that it stays on the air for many years to come.
>
> It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
> Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
> the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.

There is a big difference between BLUE and BP. Until this year Blue aired at
10 PM. BP is on at 8. The show's subject matter is inappropriate for 8 pm. I
don't care what wacko group agrees with me. The show should be pushed back
to a later time.

shoof

Feb 7, 2002, 8:43:47 AM2/7/02

"Donna L. Bridges" <shall...@rcn.com> wrote in message

> A little bird told me that on Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:27:43 -0600 (CST),
> in rec.arts.tv <hfreolnubbpbz....@news.alt.net> "userb3"
> <use...@yahoo.com> virtually chirped:
>
> >It'll end up boosting ratings. I started watching NYPD Blue when Donald
> >Wildmon and his bunch of radical morons launched their efforts to band
> >the show. I figured anything those fanatics hated must have some value.
>
> For its first year it wasn't even on the air in Tupelo, MS, because of
> those particular few nuts.

It's not the AFA. Its the PTC that's compaining.

shoof

Feb 7, 2002, 8:45:43 AM2/7/02

"J. Stone" <sto...@pilot.msu.edu> wrote in message

> I watch BP with my 12 year old son (am I a bad parent?). I have to admit
> cringe
> and am somewhat embarassed by the sexual references especially when he ask
me
> "what does that mean"?.

Yea, like a breast orgasm. That was a new one for me too.

Donna L. Bridges

Feb 7, 2002, 9:27:29 AM2/7/02
A little bird told me that on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:43:47 -0500, in
rec.arts.tv <u6514sa...@corp.supernews.com> "shoof"
<mr...@frontiernet.net> virtually chirped:

Yes, I know. See the paragraph above my reply & you will see that that
poster went on to mention the AFA when NYPDB came on. Get it?

--
DonnaB <*> shallotpeel on Yahoo Msgr 8^>

"If I were asked to name the chief benefit of the house, I should say:
the house shelters day-dreaming, the house protects the dreamer, the
house allows one to dream in peace." - Gaston Bachelard

userb3

Feb 7, 2002, 10:43:23 AM2/7/02