100 Most Unexpected TV Moments by TV Guide TV Land (List included)

Joe Gillis

Dec 3, 2005, 12:54:05 PM12/3/05
http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html

NEW YORK, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- From the "Heidi-Bowl" to Muhammad Ali
raising the torch at The 1996 Olympics to Janet Jackson's wardrobe
malfunction at The Superbowl, television has provided some of the most
significant and surprising moments in history. Building on the success
of 2004's 100 Most Memorable TV Moments, TV Land will premiere TV Guide
and TV Land Present: The 100 Most Unexpected TV Moments on Monday,
December 5 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. This five-part special -- which coincides
with the December 1 publication of TV Guide's editorial feature --
looks at some of the most unexpected milestones in television history.
Topics to be covered will range from the Al and Tipper kiss to Frank
Sinatra being surprised by the appearance of his new bride, Mia Farrow,
on What's My Line?

.
.
.
.
.

100 HOGAN'S HEROES THE UNLIKELY POW CAMP COMEDY. (9/17/65)

99 SNL DEBBIE DOWNER CRACK UP (5/1/04)

98 BATTLESTAR GALACTICA IN THE FIRST SEASON FINALE, BOOMER IS REVEALED
AS A CYLON, LEAVES ADMIRAL ADAMA FOR DEAD. (1/24/05)

97 ROSEANNE IN "A STASH FROM THE PAST," ROSEANNE FINDS POT AND LECTURES
DAVID, THEN PARTAKES WITH DAN AND JACKIE. LATER THEY REALIZE THE STASH
WAS THEIR OWN FROM YEARS AGO. (10/5/93)

96 YOU'RE IN THE PICTURE JACKIE GLEASON'S GAME SHOW BOMB, MAKES
APOLOGY. (1/27/61)

95 FAMILY GUY FOX'S FAILED SERIES ARE SPOOFED IN THE EPISODE "NORTH BY
NORTH QUAHOG." (5/1/05)

94 VH1 FASHION AWARDS JIM CARREY INTRODUCES ROLLING STONES WEARING A
FIG LEAF. (10/28/97)

93 SOUTH PARK THE S*** SHOW. 162 UTTERANCES IN EPISODE "IT HITS THE
FAN." (6/20/01)

92 THE FLYING NUN SALLY FIELD SERVES GOD, TAKES FLIGHT. (9/7/67)

91 SEX AND THE CITY -- IN SERIES FINALE, BIG'S NAME REVEALED ON
CARRIE'S CELL PHONE. (2/22/04)

90 WILL & GRACE OVER CENSORS' OBJECTIONS, KAREN ADVISES LORRAINE: "EAT
ME." (5/8/03)

89 VMAS COURTNEY LOVE CRASHES MADONNA'S INTERVIEW. (9/7/95)

88 SOAP JESSICA EXORCISES THE DEVIL FROM GRANDSON WITH IMPASSIONED
SPEECH. (3/15/79)

87 DAYTIME EMMYS SUSAN LUCCI WINS EMMY AFTER EIGHTEEN LOSSES. (5/21/99)

86 STEAMBATH -- BILL BIXBY & VALERIE PERRINE IN THE NUDE, SLIPPED BY
CENSORS (5/4/73)

85 2003 VMAS THREE-WAY KISS: MADONNA, BRITNEY, & CHRISTINA. (8/28/03)

84 THE DATING GAME PAUL LYNDE IS BACHELOR #1. CONTESTANT: "I'VE JUST
GIVEN YOU BACHELOR #2. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH HIM?" LYNDE: "GO
DANCING!" (6/1/68)

83 THE SURREAL LIFE TELEVANGELIST TAMMY FAYE MEETS PORN STAR RON
JEREMY. (1/11/04)

82 MATCH GAME PANEL REVOLTS: STOPS THE SHOW WHEN THEY DON'T AGREE WITH
JUDGES. LEGENDARY "SCHOOL RIOT." (7/8/77)

81 DUKES OF HAZZARD COUSINS "COY" AND "VANCE" REPLACE ORIGINAL "BO" AND
"LUKE" AFTER CONTRACT DISPUTE. (9/24/82)

80 AMERICAN IDOL WILLIAM HUNG'S "SHE BANGS" (1/27/04)

79 20/20 STOSSEL SLAPPED BY WWF CHAMP 'DR. D'. WRESTLER BANNED, STOSSEL
COLLECTS. (2/21/85)

78 SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE LORNE MICHAELS OFFERS $3000 TO BEATLES FOR
REUNION. (4/24/76)

77 FAMILY FEUD FRED BAEDEKER BOMBS OUT ON THE BIG BOARD WITH INSANE
ANSWERS. (8/9/76)

76 1977 SCIENCE FICTION FILM AWARDS HOST WILLIAM SHATNER SINGS "ROCKET
MAN." (1/21/78)

75 1994 VMAS MICHAEL JACKSON AND BRIDE LISA MARIE PRESLEY "KISS."
(9/8/94)

74 '01 INAUGURAL BUSH DANCES WITH RICKY MARTIN. (01/18/01)

73 MARRIED ... WITH CHILDREN BUNDY'S ADOPT NEPHEW, WHO PROMPTLY
DISAPPEARS. MONTHS LATER, PICTURE APPEARS ON MILK CARTON. (4/24/94)

72 HARDBALL BLUE DOG DEMOCRAT ZELL MILLER CONFRONTS CHRIS MATTHEWS
DURING THE REPUBLICAN NATIONAL CONVENTION IN NEW YORK CITY. (9/1/04)

71 MARY HARTMAN, MARY HARTMAN DROWNING BY CHICKEN SOUP. (3/4/76)

70 NEWLYWEDS: NICK & JESSICA JESSICA SIMPSON'S "CHICKEN BY THE SEA"
MOMENT. IS IT CHICKEN OR FISH? (8/19/03)

69 '00 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, LOS ANGELES AL KISSES TIPPER.
(8/17/2000)

68 THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW ROB OPENS CLOSET DOOR; WALNUTS AND LAURA
SPILL OUT. (2/6/63)

67 THE MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW -- JOHN LENNON & YOKO ONO CO-HOST. MUSICAL
GUEST CHUCK BERRY PLAYS "JOHNNY B. GOODE," ACCOMPANIED BY WAILING ONO.
(2/16/72)

66 FELICITY THE HAIRCUT. (10/3/99) - USING ONLY STILLS AND NEWS FOOTAGE

65 GET CHRISTIE LOVE! IN THE ORIGINAL MOVIE OF THE WEEK, CHRISTIE POSES
AS HOOKER, CALLED "N*****." "NO, N***** LOVER." (1/22/74)

64 THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW PHYLLIS'S BROTHER IS GAY. (1/13/73)

63 2005 MASTERS TOURNAMENT TIGER WOODS' TRULY AMAZING SHOT. (4/10/05)

62 EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND MARIE'S VAGINA SCULPTURE. (10/22/01)

61 DYNASTY THE MOLDAVIA MASSACRE. (5/15/85)

60 THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW AFTER AN OVERLY-FRIENDLY ENCOUNTER, LARRY
QUESTIONS DAVID DUCHOVNY'S SEXUALITY IN THE EPISODE "EVERYBODY LOVES
LARRY." (11/13/96)

59 THE STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL THE LEGENDARY CBS GALACTIC
SPECTACULAR. (11/17/78) PHOTOS ONLY

58 FRIENDS AT ROSS'S WEDDING IN LONDON, MONICA AND CHANDLER IN BED.
(5/7/98)

57 HERE'S LUCY JACKIE GLEASON'S SURPRISE CAMEO AS RALPH KRAMDEN IN
EPISODE #2, "LUCY VISITS JACK BENNY." (9/30/68)

56 SOPRANOS "LONG TERM PARKING": ADRIANNA GETS WHACKED. (5/23/04)

55 JIMMY SWAGGART TELECAST SWAGGART TEARFULLY CONFESSES TO ADULTERY
BEFORE A NATIONAL AUDIENCE. "I HAVE SINNED AGAINST YOU AND I BEG YOUR
FORGIVENESS!" (2/21/88)

54 WHAT'S MY LINE A BLINDFOLDED FRANK SINATRA IS ONE OF THE PANELISTS
WHEN MIA FARROW, HIS NEW BRIDE, IS INTRODUCED AS MYSTERY GUEST.
(11/27/66)

53 COP ROCK STEPHEN BOCHCO'S MUSICAL SALUTE. (9/26/90)

52 TEXAS AT CLEVELAND JOSE CANSECO'S INFAMOUS "HEAD-BALL" HOMER.
(5/26/93)

51 DINAH! ANDY KAUFMAN AS "TONY CLIFTON" SAYS BULL****. (9/19/79)

50 PASSWORD JACK BENNY GIVES CLUE "ME" TO PASSWORD "MISER" (5/29/62)

49 I MARRIED DORA FINAL EPISODE ACKNOWLEDGES SHOW'S DEMISE: "IT'S BEEN
CANCELLED." "WHAT, THE FLIGHT?" "NO, THE SERIES." (12/18/87)

48 DIANA ROSS - CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK STORM RAGES, FANS RAMPAGE,
LIVE. (7/21/83)

47 MORTON DOWNEY JR. SHOW AL SHARPTON/ROY INNIS FIST FIGHT AT THE
APOLLO. (8/30/88)

46 '68 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, CHICAGO RIOTS; MAYOR RICHARD
DALEY MOUTHS OBSCENITIES. (8/29/68)

45 LATE NIGHT WITH DAVID LETTERMAN SONNY AND CHER: "I'VE GOT YOU BABE."
(11/13/87)

44 BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER MUSICAL EPISODE "ONCE MORE WITH FEELING"
HAS TOWNSFOLK REVEALING THEIR INNERMOST THOUGHTS-IN SONG. (11/6/01)

43 MTV TOWN HALL MEETING - 17 YEAR-OLD LAETITIA THOMPSON FAMOUSLY ASKS
PRESIDENT CLINTON, "BOXERS OR BRIEFS?" (4/19/94)

42 '92 VICE-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE PEROT RUNNING MATE ADMIRAL JAMES
STOCKDALE ASKS, "WHO AM I? WHY AM I HERE?" (10/13/92)

41 SURVIVOR RICHARD HATCH SLITHERS HIS WAY TO THE MILLION - IN THE
NUDE. (7/5/2000)

40 THE JERRY LEWIS TELETHON TELETHON SHOCKER! AFTER TWENTY-YEAR FEUD,
JERRY LEWIS AND DEAN MARTIN REUNITED BY FRANK SINATRA. (9/6/76)

39 TWIN PEAKS FIRST APPEARANCE OF THE DANCING DWARF. (4/19/90)

38 GIMME A BREAK! JOEY LAWRENCE APPEARS IN BLACKFACE AT NELL'S CHURCH
BENEFIT. (12/8/84)

37 THE STEVE ALLEN SHOW - ELVIS SINGS TO HOUND DOG (7/1/56)

36 THE WEST WING LEO NOMINATED FOR V.P. (MONTHS AFTER MASSIVE HEART-
ATTACK). (4/6/05)

35 VMAS DIANA ROSS GRAB'S LIL' KIM'S BOOB. (9/9/99)

34 '72 OSCARS SACHEEN LITTLEFEATHER ACCEPTS FOR MARLON BRANDO.
(3/27/73) - PHOTOS

33 MELROSE PLACE KIMBERLY PULLS OFF WIG. (4/27/94)

32 24 IN FIRST SEASON FINALE, JACK'S WIFE KILLED AS CLOCK RUNS DOWN.
(5/21/02)

31 WKRP IN CINCINNATI LIVE TURKEYS DROPPED FROM COPTER. (10/30/78)

30 THE TONIGHT SHOW STARRING JOHNNY CARSON ED AMES AND THE TOMAHAWK
CHOP. (4/29/65)

29 '84 SUMMER OLYMPICS, LOS ANGELES MARY DECKER/ZOLA BUDD BUMP IN 3000
METER RUN. DECKER DECKED, BUDD BLAMED. (8/10/84)

28 STAR TREK "THE CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER" - JOAN COLLINS. (4/6/67)

27 THIRTYSOMETHING GAY COUPLE IN BED. (11/7/89)

26 '68 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL CONVENTION, CHICAGO RIOTS; WILLIAM F.
BUCKLEY BATTLES GORE VIDAL. (8/28/68)

25 LAW & ORDER WHEN ASSISTANT DA SERENA SOUTHERLYN IS FIRED BY HER
BOSS, SHE SHOCKS BOTH HIM AND THE AUDIENCE WITH HER REVELATION, IN THE
FORM OF A QUESTION: "IS IT BECAUSE I'M A LESBIAN?" (1/12/05)

24 THE LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN DREW BARRYMORE'S TOPLESS BIRTHDAY
SALUTE. (4/12/95)

23 SURVIVOR MICHAEL SKUPIN BURNED, MEDIVAC'D. (3/1/01)

22 '88 VICE-PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE BENTSEN TO QUAYLE: " ... AND SENATOR,
YOU'RE NO JACK KENNEDY." (10/5/88)

21 CBS EVENING NEWS WITH WALTER CRONKITE - WALTER CRONKITE PRONOUNCES
THE VIETNAM WAR A STALEMATE. (2/27/68)

20 SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE BARBARA STREISAND CRASHES COFFEE TALK. (2/22/92)

19 THE PRICE IS RIGHT YOLANDA BOWERSLEY COMES ON DOWN, FALLS OUT OF
TOP. (9/14/77)

18 SIX FEET UNDER NATE DIES (7/31/05)

17 OAKLAND AT PITTSBURGH "IMMACULATE RECEPTION" CONSIDERED GREATEST
PLAY IN NFL HISTORY. (12/23/72)

16 CAL/STANFORD BIG GAME WILD ENDING, BAND ON FIELD. (11/20/82)

15 M*A*S*H RADAR ANNOUNCES COL. BLAKE'S DEATH. (3/18/75)

14 THE DICK CAVETT SHOW GEORGIA GOVERNOR LESTER MADDOX WALKS OFF.
(12/18/70)

13 1996 SUMMER OLYMPICS MUHAMMAD ALI MAKES A SURPRISE APPEARANCE WITH
THE OLYMPIC TORCH. (7/19/96)

12 ER HELICOPTER BLADE RIPS OFF ROMANO'S ARM; SEASON LATER, HELICOPTER
FALLS FROM ROOF, FINISHING HIM OFF. (9/26/02, 11/20/03)

11 NIGHTLINE AL CAMPANIS CLAIMS BLACKS "LACK THE NECESSITIES" FOR
BASEBALL MANAGEMENT. (4/6/87)

10 ST. ELSEWHERE FINALE: ENTIRE SERIES IMAGINED BY AUTISTIC CHILD.
(5/25/88)

9 '94 WINTER OLYMPICS, LILLEHAMMER TONYA HARDING/NANCY KERRIGAN SCANDAL
CULMINATES WITH TONYA PLEADING TEARFULLY TO JUDGES ABOUT A BROKEN
SHOELACE. (2/25/94)

8 SEINFELD GEORGE'S FIANCEE LICKS CHEAP ENVELOPES, DIES. (5/16/96)

7 CAMPAIGN '04 DEAN SCREAM. (1/19/04)

6 THE "HEIDI-BOWL" NBC PREEMPTS FINAL 1:05 OF JETS-RAIDERS GAME WITH
MOVIE "HEIDI". TWO TOUCHDOWNS WENT UNSEEN BY IRATE FANS. (11/17/68)

5 THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS COMEDY HOUR THE WHO GOES UP IN FLAMES FOR "MY
GENERATION" WHEN KEITH MOON OVERLOADS EXPLOSIVES IN HIS DRUMS. THREE
INJURED. (9/17/67)

4 SUPER BOWL '04 JANET JACKSON'S "WARDROBE MALFUNCTION" (2/1/04)

3 DALLAS BOBBY EWING ALIVE, SEASON NINE A DREAM. (5/16/86)

2 WBA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP TYSON V. HOLYFIELD. MAN BITES EAR STORY.
(6/28/97)

1 NEWHART SERIES FINALE (5/21/90)

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 3, 2005, 2:15:48 PM12/3/05
Joe Gillis <Floating...@hotmail.com> writes in article %:

> http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html
>
> NEW YORK, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- From the "Heidi-Bowl" to Muhammad Ali
> raising the torch at The 1996 Olympics to Janet Jackson's wardrobe
> malfunction at The Superbowl, television has provided some of the most
> significant and surprising moments in history. Building on the success
> of 2004's 100 Most Memorable TV Moments, TV Land will premiere TV Guide
> and TV Land Present: The 100 Most Unexpected TV Moments on Monday,
> December 5 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. This five-part special -- which coincides
> with the December 1 publication of TV Guide's editorial feature --
> looks at some of the most unexpected milestones in television history.
> Topics to be covered will range from the Al and Tipper kiss to Frank
> Sinatra being surprised by the appearance of his new bride, Mia Farrow,
> on What's My Line?

Most of these are pretty apt. One might quibble about rankings,
but I think this list is surprisingly good.

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Garondo...@hotmail.com

Dec 3, 2005, 3:04:26 PM12/3/05

Joe Gillis wrote:
> http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html

Why do people buy into these lists, they don't make things true just by
listing them.

..
Garondo Marondo!

Message has been deleted

stonej

Dec 3, 2005, 4:05:13 PM12/3/05
TV Guide has run these list articles into the ground over the years.

There are so many of them that seem like just a variation of each other

Most shocking
Most surprising

etc. etc.

Kris Baker

Dec 3, 2005, 4:35:25 PM12/3/05

"stonej" <sto...@mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote in message

....and they always list that lame Johnny Carson/Ed Ames
purposely-planned "accidental" hatchet in the crotch trick.

Kris
Saw through that one
When I was a kid

SyVyN11

Dec 3, 2005, 5:41:27 PM12/3/05

"Joe Gillis" <Floating...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html
>
> NEW YORK, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- From the "Heidi-Bowl" to Muhammad Ali
> raising the torch at The 1996 Olympics to Janet Jackson's wardrobe
> malfunction at The Superbowl, television has provided some of the most
> significant and surprising moments in history. Building on the success
> of 2004's 100 Most Memorable TV Moments, TV Land will premiere TV Guide
> and TV Land Present: The 100 Most Unexpected TV Moments on Monday,
> December 5 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. This five-part special -- which coincides
> with the December 1 publication of TV Guide's editorial feature --
> looks at some of the most unexpected milestones in television history.
> Topics to be covered will range from the Al and Tipper kiss to Frank
> Sinatra being surprised by the appearance of his new bride, Mia Farrow,
> on What's My Line?
many quibbles, too many to list here. But #1 should have been Radar
announcing Henry Blake's death. You can still see the shock in the actor's
eyes (since they were not told about the death), and still carrying on with
the scene.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Auzerais .

Dec 3, 2005, 6:29:26 PM12/3/05
>68 THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW ROB
> OPENS CLOSET DOOR; WALNUTS AND
> LAURA SPILL OUT. (2/6/63)

Oh,no, no, no!
The very best unexpected moment for the Dick Van Dyke [or any tv show]
was when Van Dyke is convinced that they took they 'wrong baby' back
from the hospital, then only to find out at the end that the 'other
couple' is black.

When Dick invites the 'Peters' to come and 'get their baby' and opens
the door only to discover Greg Morris (Mr. Peters), Mimi Dillard (Mrs.
Peters) standing there is THE BEST 'unexpected' moment' in tv history!

from tv.com:
Rob tells Mel about the day Ritchie came home Laura says Ritchie looked
different in the crib. Rob begins to think he took the wrong baby home.
Actually they took the right baby home but the wrong stuff like the
cards (which were meant for the Peters baby (who left the hospital the
same day as the Petries)
Jerry & Rob take the footprints of their baby.
The Peters come to get their stuff such as the flowers & dried figs.

Rob stores the baby's records in a copy of The Magic Mountain, the
classic novel by Thomas Mann.

Greg Morris arriving to prove Rob brought home the correct baby was
named #90 on TV Guide / TV Lands "100 Most Memorable TV Moments" in
December of 2004. (Edit)

The script for this episode was published as 'That's My Boy??'—A
Milestone in Television History" in The Dick Van Dyke Show: Anatomy of a
Classic by Ginny Weissman and Coyne Steven Sanders. New York: St.
Martin's Press, 1983 (129–38).

Episode Quotes
Rob: Say, guys, don't you want to see the baby?
Buddy: Of course we want to see the baby. I've been practicing funny
faces all day.
Sally: The one you're doing now is hysterical.

J. Lester

Dec 3, 2005, 7:39:38 PM12/3/05

Ronnie> But what's so "unexpected" about Joan Collins being on a
Ronnie> Star Trek episode? Just another case of a small role for a
Ronnie> future star? Lame.

They're referring to the fact that Kirk, who had fallen in love with Joan
Collins' character, discovers she will have to die in order to prevent
Hitler from winning WWII. Or something.(I'm not sure either how a Trek
episode got to be "unexpected")

JL (who hates "City on the Edge of Forever")

--
Email address altered to discourage spam; reply to m5comp at mac dot com
Trek Bits <http://homepage.mac.com/m5comp/trekbits/>

alte...@yahoo.com

Dec 3, 2005, 9:07:12 PM12/3/05
Honestly, I would put Radar announcing Col. Blake's death a little
higher. And I am not sure how some of these can be considered
unexpected. For example, why is Cop Rock unexpected? It was promoted,
reviewed and critiqued for months before it aired. I suppose the music
could be a bit surprising, but not unexpected.

The same could be said for Hogan's Heroes, The Flying Nun and The
Surreal Life. Unless specific portions are unexpected, the fact that
the three exist at all really should not be included. Nor should Coy
and Vance replaying the Bo and Luke. And the Star Wars Holiday
special? The musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer?

And really, who did not think Richard Hatch would win the first
Survivor? Oh, TV Land. Why must you air these horrrible lists? Stick
to showing classic television. Stop trying to turn into another VH-1.

Karen E

Dec 3, 2005, 9:47:59 PM12/3/05

But it wasn't shocking to me as a viewer. I already knew what was going
to happen. I was a huge MASH fan in those days, and Henry was my
favorite character. I skilled an important meeting that night because I
knew they were killing off Henry and I didn't want to miss it. Somehow
word had gotten out.

Now the Newhart #1? Totally agree with it.

Karen E.

Ed Stasiak

Dec 3, 2005, 9:57:31 PM12/3/05
> Joe Gillis wrote

> 82 MATCH GAME PANEL REVOLTS: STOPS THE
> SHOW WHEN THEY DON'T AGREE WITH JUDGES.
> LEGENDARY "SCHOOL RIOT." (7/8/77)
>
> 48 DIANA ROSS - CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK
> STORM RAGES, FANS RAMPAGE, LIVE. (7/21/83)

So what's the story on these two unexpected TV moments?

lambertman

Dec 3, 2005, 10:12:38 PM12/3/05
For the "School Riot" transcript:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?S2981234C

mc

Dec 3, 2005, 10:44:10 PM12/3/05
I can't believe Big's name being revealed is listed, but not Kramer's.

I also can't believe that Sonny & Cher reunion on Late Night was 18 yrs
ago-- seems like yesterday!

MC
Keeper of Giovanni Ribisi!

mc

Dec 3, 2005, 10:50:06 PM12/3/05

alte...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Honestly, I would put Radar announcing Col. Blake's death a little
> higher. And I am not sure how some of these can be considered
> unexpected. For example, why is Cop Rock unexpected? It was promoted,
> reviewed and critiqued for months before it aired. I suppose the music
> could be a bit surprising, but not unexpected.
>
> The same could be said for Hogan's Heroes, The Flying Nun and The
> Surreal Life. Unless specific portions are unexpected, the fact that
> the three exist at all really should not be included. Nor should Coy
> and Vance replaying the Bo and Luke. And the Star Wars Holiday
> special? The musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer?
>
> And really, who did not think Richard Hatch would win the first
> Survivor?

I think it's more that he went nude. But I agree, lots of stupid
things listed here. They really shouldn't bother numbering them in a
countdown, just have random shows now and then.

Message has been deleted

Tono

Dec 4, 2005, 1:41:13 AM12/4/05

"Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigyy.net> wrote in message

Interesting. Why do you think it was planned? I always thought it was legit,
and I consider myself pretty cynical about things.

The reason I thought was spontaneous is that Ames actually takes a few steps
towards the target, as if to remove the tomahawk. Carson, wanting to wring
all the laughs out of the moment, grabs his hand and stops him. That didn't
seem planned to me.

Susan Bartholomew

Dec 4, 2005, 10:51:38 AM12/4/05
What I'm wondering is, what criteria did they use to judge whether one
moment was more 'unexpected' than another?

And why are they printing a list like that but they still haven't done a
list of when all the holiday specials are on this year, like they used
to do?

Michael O'Connor

Dec 4, 2005, 12:31:29 PM12/4/05
A couple of political moments that I thought should have made the list
included Nixon's infamous "Checkers Speech", LBJ's national address
where he unexpectedly decided to withdraw from the 1968 election, and
the Watergate hearing where the existence of the taping system was
revealed. Also, the address where Ford Pardoned Nixon.

Also, where is Jack Ruby shooting Lee Harvey Oswald? That happened on
live TV, and it was shocking. I would probably put it number one on
the list.

I'm not a fan of NASCAR, but I would think the death of Dale Earnhardt
was a shocker also, since it was the final turn of the last lap of the
Daytona 500 and at first it didn't appear to be a serious crash.

Another I expected to see on the list was the St. Elsewhere episode
where the rapist Dr. Peter White was gunned down by Nurse Daniels.

And I would have put the Challenger explosion second behind the Oswald
shooting, because so many schoolkids were watching the launch due to
the teacher being on the flight.

What about the Jim Rome interview show when he continually kept
referring to Rams QB Jim Everett as Chris (as in Chris Evert) until Jim
Everett pummelled him?

What about the SNL episode when the late Charles Rocket dropped the F
bomb?

Steven L.

Dec 4, 2005, 12:36:53 PM12/4/05
Joe Gillis wrote:

> http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html
>
> NEW YORK, Dec. 1 /PRNewswire/ -- From the "Heidi-Bowl" to Muhammad Ali
> raising the torch at The 1996 Olympics to Janet Jackson's wardrobe
> malfunction at The Superbowl, television has provided some of the most
> significant and surprising moments in history.

They left out some major unexpected moments televised live on the news:

Jack Ruby kills Lee Harvey Oswald, the day after Oswald assassinated
President Kennedy.

Space Shuttle Challenger explodes on launch.

The second airliner hits the second WTC tower on 9-11. (That was the
first real indication that this was terrorism, not an accident)

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

William December Starr

Dec 4, 2005, 2:02:18 PM12/4/05
alte...@yahoo.com said:

> Unless specific portions are unexpected, the fact that the three
> exist at all really should not be included. Nor should Coy and
> Vance replaying the Bo and Luke. And the Star Wars Holiday
> special?

Nobody expected it to be that amazingly horrible?

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

ANIM8Rfsk

Dec 4, 2005, 4:39:31 PM12/4/05
in article dmvefq$d8l$1...@panix3.panix.com, William December Starr at
wds...@panix.com wrote on 12/4/05 12:02 PM:

> In article <1133662032.1...@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> alte...@yahoo.com said:
>
>> Unless specific portions are unexpected, the fact that the three
>> exist at all really should not be included. Nor should Coy and
>> Vance replaying the Bo and Luke. And the Star Wars Holiday
>> special?
>
> Nobody expected it to be that amazingly horrible?

I don't think anybody could have expected it to be as bad as it was.

--

You Can't Stop the Signal
SERENITY on DVD December 20th

Susan Bartholomew

Dec 4, 2005, 6:06:50 PM12/4/05

ANIM8Rfsk wrote:
> in article dmvefq$d8l$1...@panix3.panix.com, William December Starr at
> wds...@panix.com wrote on 12/4/05 12:02 PM:
>

>>In article <1133662032.1...@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>alte...@yahoo.com said:
>>

>>>Unless specific portions are unexpected, the fact that the three
>>>exist at all really should not be included. Nor should Coy and
>>>Vance replaying the Bo and Luke. And the Star Wars Holiday
>>>special?
>>
>>Nobody expected it to be that amazingly horrible?
>

> I don't think anybody could have expected it to be as bad as it was.

I agree. It's one of those shows where you might think, "Well, it's Star
Wars, it's got Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, and
Wookiees, and the first ever appearance by Boba Fett-it can't be all
THAT bad!"

But trust me-it IS that bad, and much much worse. It's unrelentingly
horrible. It's not even fun bad, it's just bad bad.

It doesn't help that Mark Hamill was still recovering from the car
accident that destroyed part of his face, so his participation was very
limited and his appearance was radically different than in the 1977 SW
movie.

D a v i d T a n n y

Dec 4, 2005, 11:42:03 PM12/4/05
On 3 Dec 2005 09:54:05 -0800, "Joe Gillis"
<Floating...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>http://sev.prnewswire.com/television/20051201/NYTH02201122005-1.html

snip (sound of paper shredder)

An unexpected moment:

People buying TV Guide not for the listings.

Sure. I buy Playboy for the articles. Right.

mavman

Dec 5, 2005, 11:18:01 AM12/5/05
> 16 CAL/STANFORD BIG GAME WILD ENDING, BAND ON FIELD. (11/20/82)

This does not belong on the list because it was not a televised game.
The film you've seen of it is from the Cal Athletic Dept. camera which
was recording the game.

Dr. Sooz

Dec 5, 2005, 3:47:12 PM12/5/05
> Now the Newhart #1? Totally agree with it.
~~~~~~~~~
Me too, totally. If you'd watched both series, that was pure,
unadulterated pleasure-surprise TV.

Dr. Sooz

Dec 5, 2005, 3:49:14 PM12/5/05
~~~~~~~~~~
And why does it have to be 100? Seems this list would've been just
fine with 75, or even 50.....

Dr. Sooz

Dec 5, 2005, 3:52:04 PM12/5/05
> And why does it have to be 100? Seems this list would've been just
fine with 75, or even 50.....
~~~~~~~~~~
Or -- to argue with myself -- 200.

Mark Nobles

Dec 5, 2005, 4:22:02 PM12/5/05
Joe Gillis <Floating...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> 31 WKRP IN CINCINNATI LIVE TURKEYS DROPPED FROM COPTER. (10/30/78)

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

bkl...@yahoo.com

Dec 5, 2005, 4:25:03 PM12/5/05

Because 100 = the number of editorial pages they had to fill?

bkl...@yahoo.com

Dec 5, 2005, 4:29:14 PM12/5/05

edonline wrote:
> It's interesting that they list some non-scripted events (Olympic
> events, etc) but they didn't list any news events such as the
> Challenger explosion, the World Trade Center/9-11, etc, all of which
> happened on live television and which were indeed unexpected but I
> guess TV Guide was using a different criteria for "unexpected".

Seems appropriate to me, they were listing entertainment events. If
events that were strickly news were included they could/would dominate
the list and opens up the whole debate ranking tragic events.

And it would make the list a total bummer to read.

bkl...@yahoo.com

Dec 5, 2005, 5:02:56 PM12/5/05

Ed Stasiak wrote:
> > Joe Gillis wrote
> >
> > 82 MATCH GAME PANEL REVOLTS: STOPS THE
> > SHOW WHEN THEY DON'T AGREE WITH JUDGES.
> > LEGENDARY "SCHOOL RIOT." (7/8/77)

Did see that, but the panel revolting would be unexpected in my mind,
everthing in those games shows of those days was so pre-rehearsed. And
I can't imagine Charles Nelson Reilly CARING enough to fight.

> > 48 DIANA ROSS - CONCERT IN CENTRAL PARK
> > STORM RAGES, FANS RAMPAGE, LIVE. (7/21/83)

Ms. Ross just kept playing through a torrential downpour. With her Diva
"Call her Ms. Ross" reputation, I really don't think ANYONE would have
expected that. More likely they'd have thought she'd pull something
like when Britney Spears walked out in Mexico after it started
sprinkling.

pattymaci

Dec 5, 2005, 5:25:33 PM12/5/05

Mark Nobles wrote:

> > 31 WKRP IN CINCINNATI LIVE TURKEYS DROPPED FROM COPTER. (10/30/78)
>
> As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

All these years later and I still use that line when something doesn't
turn out the way I planned.

"Oh, the humanity!" Still cracks me up.

Pattymac

Kris Baker

Dec 5, 2005, 5:38:15 PM12/5/05

"pattymaci" <patt...@aol.com> wrote in message

It's my #1, too. I've missed seeing it for a few years.

Kris

Message has been deleted

Al Wesolowsky

Dec 5, 2005, 6:33:55 PM12/5/05
In rec.arts.tv Mark Nobles <cmn-n...@houston.rr.com> wrote:
: Joe Gillis <Floating...@hotmail.com> wrote:

:> 31 WKRP IN CINCINNATI LIVE TURKEYS DROPPED FROM COPTER. (10/30/78)
: As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Mr. Carlson: "Did you get the turkeys, Herb?"
Herb: "Yep. And lemme tell you, Big Guy, when that farmer asked me what
what I was going to do with all those birds, I had to do some
pret-ty fast thinking?"
Mr. Carlson: "What did you tell him?"
Herb: "I told him I didn't know."

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o NC: "This is MY kinda road!"
Boston University o KE: "Wow, you really are Neal Cassady!"

Michael O'Connor

Dec 5, 2005, 7:01:18 PM12/5/05

> > > All these years later and I still use that line when something doesn't
> > > turn out the way I planned.
> > >
> > > "Oh, the humanity!" Still cracks me up.
> > >
> > > Pattymac
> >
> > It's my #1, too. I've missed seeing it for a few years.
> >
> > Kris
> >

> If I am not mistaken, I think WKRP is out on DVD now.

WKRP is not on DVD; there are still too many licensing issues related
to the music they played on the show.

Rob Jensen

Dec 5, 2005, 7:11:28 PM12/5/05
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:23:17 -0600, "explorer" <ab...@123.net> wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes

>"Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigyy.net> wrote in message

>If I am not mistaken, I think WKRP is out on DVD now.

You are mistaken.

-- Rob
--
LORELAI: In the movie, only boy hobbits travel to Mount
Doom, but that's only because the girls went to do something

ANIM8Rfsk

Dec 5, 2005, 9:28:21 PM12/5/05
in article 9u2dnT6ABuK...@centurytel.net, explorer at ab...@123.net
wrote on 12/5/05 4:23 PM:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Kris Baker" <kris....@prodigyy.net> wrote in message
>>

> If I am not mistaken, I think WKRP is out on DVD now.

Sadly, you are mistaken.

Message has been deleted

Kris Baker

Dec 5, 2005, 9:47:11 PM12/5/05

"edonline" <edonlineSPAMOUT!@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Was it the same episode where Les says, "There's a plane flying
> overhead with something trailing behind it. It looks like a banner.
> And it says Double-uuuuuu... Kaaaaaaay... Arrrrrrrrrrrr... P!" while
> you see Andy in the studio holding his head in his hands?

Yup. The infamous Thanksgiving episode, where they pelt Cincinnati with
turkeys.

Kris

Paul

Dec 9, 2005, 12:14:42 PM12/9/05
D a v i d T a n n y <daveNOS...@cox.net> wrote in

Listings? What listings?

How long since TVG has had listings, real listings, including local
programs, for 24/7?

Feh.

scooter34

Dec 9, 2005, 12:58:24 PM12/9/05

Joe Gillis wrote:

> 64 THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW PHYLLIS'S BROTHER IS GAY. (1/13/73)

I loved this one. "Ben's Gay!" I was old enough to understand what
gay meant but not really comprehend it, but definitely old enough to
get the comparison with the ointment. We called that stuff Bens-gay
for years.

scooter34

Taylor

Dec 9, 2005, 9:00:45 PM12/9/05

scooter34 wrote:

I loved how Phyllis was SO self-absorbed, it didn't occur to her how
this would impact HIS life. lol

I think the 101 should be the fact that Donald Hollinger (Ted Bessell)
got off EXTREMELY LUCKY having girlfriend Ann Marie (Marlo Thomas) NOT
question his sexuality after 5 years of dating and nooooooooo type of
commitment! Either Don was (((very))) meterosexual or (((very))) gay!

I miss That Girl!.

Ubiquitous

Dec 22, 2005, 8:56:33 PM12/22/05
kris....@prodigyy.net wrote:

>....and they always list that lame Johnny Carson/Ed Ames
>purposely-planned "accidental" hatchet in the crotch trick.

That wasn't nearly as funny as when William B Williams got hit in the
balls with a rock on the Bobby Bittman Show.

--
Anybody who doesn't appreciate what America has done and President Bush,
let them go to hell! -- Iraqi voter Betty Devisha.