Dexter question:

Volfie999

Sep 26, 2010, 10:06:47 PM9/26/10
Was Michael C Hall wearing a wig? I mean, I don't know when they
started shooting and what that timeline had to do with his cancer
treatment, etc...

Also, more importantly, how did he make me feel so sad for Rita
dying? I mean, Dexter doesn't feel emotion, so how did Michael Hall
almost have me bawling? He's good. :)

Hunter

Sep 27, 2010, 8:08:30 AM9/27/10

---
Dexter has emotion as I suspect all serial killers do. It is the rage
they feel from the mistreatment, either on going over years in their
past or a single major trauma as in Dexter's case in their past that
distorts their feelings. When they kill they are releasing emotion
pent up. If they didn't have any emotions at all they wouldn't kill,
there wouldn't be anything that would drive them to kill. That is how
they express their emotion, including joy. What it is they don't feel
empathy for others. They are the picture of self centeredness. Amateur
psychiatry off.

Incidentally I skipped over the part where Dexter broke the news to
the kids and the grand parents. I couldn't deal. I left at them
banging on Debbie's door to the start of Debbie and Joey Quinn laying
on Dexter's kitchen floor after Debbie having emotional breakdown sex.
I ran like Dexter did in effect.

Speaking of running it is a good thing he came back because it would
obviously make him look guilty even more than his out of context (to
the outside world) "Its my fault". It is a good thing he has an alibi
being a witness to Maria Laguerta and Angel Batista elopement and
wedding. Lauren Vélez is as beautiful as ever by the way. After five
seasons I still think she is the prettiest woman who has ever appeared
on the show.

You know who I really feel sorry for even more than Dexter, even more
than Rita's kids? Debbie. She has had so much crap dumped on her. This
happening so soon after the death of her FBI boyfriend Frank Lundy and
that almost drover her to the nut house. I am mildly surprised she
isn't in a straight jacket now. If she ever, ever ever find out what
Dexter really is she will either snap and end up in a catatonic state
in a mental hospital or she will snap and become a female serial
killer.

And Michael Hall is a wonderful actor. Don't know about the wig
though. If it is its a good one since I couldn't tell. I just hope he
has better luck than Andy Whitfield who had to leave "Spartacus: Blood
and Sand" due to a severe reoccurrence of his cancer.

One last thing about Dexter: He has now killed three innocent people.
This last one there is no rationalizing around it. Yes he was a
supreme asshole and maybe he is a criminal, He sure LOOKED and ACTED
the type, but we don't know of ANY crime much less murder and Dexter
doesn't either. I mean we have all mouthed off to people sometimes and
a few times without real justification. We don't deserved to be beaten
to death with a small folding anchor.

http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/Images/boat%20anchors.jpg

Still, I am not sorry he's dead LOL! :-)

Oscar Prado in "Our Father" (S3XE1) and Jonathan Farrow the
photographer in 'Road Kill' (S4XE8) are the other two innocent guys.
Maybe you can make a case that Prado really wasn't innocent because he
did try to kill his girl friend but you can't with Farrow and you
definitely can't with this guy Dexter killed with a boat anchor.

The thing is now Dexter doesn't have anything to focus is rage on
since the Trinity killer is dead adn he essentially got the last word
on Dexter. Will he become more like your "ordinary" serial killer or
will he go back to killing those who are actually guilty of murder but
escaped the law? I think it will obviously be the later for the most
part, but with this kill of the "Asshole" (we don't know his name yet)
he may have crossed a line he can't cross back over entirely..

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Volfie999

Sep 27, 2010, 12:37:42 PM9/27/10
On Sep 27, 8:08 am, Hunter <buffhun...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:06:47 -0700 (PDT), Volfie999

That's actually a rather concise answer. You sure you know how this
Internet thing works? Shouldn't you be calling me a fag by now? :)

Anyway, yes I agree with almost of the above. I think that's why they
killed Rita off; there was no where else to go with Dexter's
character. Now he's off the grid, so to speak. Which makes me wonder
how this season is going to end: either Deb is going to die, or Dexter
is going to get caught, those are my two picks.

(And I only mention the wig thing because of Dexter's atrocious
college age wig in the first season. You remember it, it made Michael
Hall look actually older when he was 20 yr old Dexter, than he does
now. :))

Rhino

Sep 27, 2010, 12:41:19 PM9/27/10

"Hunter (Hunter)" <buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

And then of course there is the real life drama for Jennifer Carpenter, who
plays Deb (by the way, I've never heard her called "Debbie" even once on the
show; not sure where you're getting that from).

She is Michael Hall's WIFE in real life - Hall was married to someone else
when the series began but divorced her to marry Carpenter - and you have to
believe that Carpenter is carrying a lot of stress from dealing with Hall's
cancer and being supportive in his time of need. Imagine being newly wed to
someone and then finding out they have contracted cancer....

I haven't seen the Season 5 premiere yet - I'm going to wait until I have
recorded the whole season, then watch it all back to back - so I didn't know
that he'd killed another non-murderer.

You've raised a very interesting point. I have to admit that I was seriously
disappointed that they didn't make more of the killing of Oscar Prado in
Season 3. While that was the event that drove the whole season, I had
expected to see a whole lot more that suggested that Dexter was consumed
with guilt once he knew that Prado didn't "qualify" to be killed. There were
one or two remarks in that first episode to the effect that this was his
first victim that hadn't deserved it and that this was Big in some way but
then it never really got talked about again. I'd forgotten about Farrow, the
photographer, from Season 8 until you reminded me. As I recall, that got
very little in the way out of remorse from Dexter too. Now, apparently, he's
up to 3 people who didn't deserve to die.

Given that the first two of these victims got very little attention with
regards to Dexter's emotional reaction, I have to assume that the third will
have the same fate. If this is the case, I am very disappointed in the
writers. It seems to me that, if they've decided that he isn't feeling
guilty for having committed those murders, then they need to explain WHY he
doesn't feel guilt. It probably needs to be a big deal too, not just a quick
"Oh well, wrong place, wrong time...." to cover Oscar Prado and the
photographer and the new victim. Or, if he IS feeling guilt but simply
hasn't talked about it, they need to go into that too, at some length, to
show why he feels guilty and explain what he is going to do to prevent
further unjustified murders. Otherwise, it calls the whole character into
question. Is all the talk of Harry's code and the Dark Passenger just a
rationalization for his many murders that he can discard at will whenever he
is angry or even just when he is taken by surprise, as in the case of Oscar
Prado? Has Dexter given himself permission to kill absolutely ANYONE, as
long as he can find a thin veneer of justification - "he startled me", "I
was angry about Rita's death", etc. - or does he still have boundaries? If
so, what are those boundaries?

--
Rhino

Thanatos

Sep 27, 2010, 5:12:51 PM9/27/10
In article <4ca0893b...@news.optonline.net>,
Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:

> Dexter has emotion as I suspect all serial killers do. It is the rage
> they feel from the mistreatment, either on going over years in their
> past or a single major trauma as in Dexter's case in their past that
> distorts their feelings. When they kill they are releasing emotion
> pent up. If they didn't have any emotions at all they wouldn't kill,
> there wouldn't be anything that would drive them to kill. That is how
> they express their emotion, including joy. What it is they don't feel
> empathy for others. They are the picture of self centeredness. Amateur
> psychiatry off.

Psychopathy is actually a neurological disorder present from birth, for
which there is no treatment. No medication will ameliorate it and
therapy has no effect. In fact, traditional psychotherapy and group
therapy only teaches a psychopath how to better manipulate the people
around him/her.

Not all (or even most) psychopaths are serial killers. Most go through
life without even committing a crime. They do, however, cause grief and
chaos in the lives of everyone around them, through lies and
manipulation.

Zombie Elvis

Sep 28, 2010, 12:06:26 AM9/28/10
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 12:08:30 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com>
(Hunter) wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:06:47 -0700 (PDT), Volfie999
><mooseb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Was Michael C Hall wearing a wig? I mean, I don't know when they
>>started shooting and what that timeline had to do with his cancer
>>treatment, etc...
>>

>>Also, more importantly, how did he make me feel so sad for Rita
>>dying? I mean, Dexter doesn't feel emotion, so how did Michael Hall
>>almost have me bawling? He's good. :)
>---
>Dexter has emotion as I suspect all serial killers do. It is the rage
>they feel from the mistreatment, either on going over years in their
>past or a single major trauma as in Dexter's case in their past that
>distorts their feelings. When they kill they are releasing emotion
>pent up. If they didn't have any emotions at all they wouldn't kill,
>there wouldn't be anything that would drive them to kill. That is how
>they express their emotion, including joy. What it is they don't feel
>empathy for others. They are the picture of self centeredness. Amateur
>psychiatry off.

Dexter certainly released a lot of emotion when he bludgeoned that
redneck to death.

>One last thing about Dexter: He has now killed three innocent people.
>This last one there is no rationalizing around it. Yes he was a
>supreme asshole and maybe he is a criminal, He sure LOOKED and ACTED
>the type, but we don't know of ANY crime much less murder and Dexter
>doesn't either. I mean we have all mouthed off to people sometimes and
>a few times without real justification. We don't deserved to be beaten
>to death with a small folding anchor.
>
>http://www.fitchtherubberman.com.au/Images/boat%20anchors.jpg
>
>Still, I am not sorry he's dead LOL! :-)
>
>Oscar Prado in "Our Father" (S3XE1) and Jonathan Farrow the
>photographer in 'Road Kill' (S4XE8) are the other two innocent guys.
>Maybe you can make a case that Prado really wasn't innocent because he
>did try to kill his girl friend but you can't with Farrow and you
>definitely can't with this guy Dexter killed with a boat anchor.

You could also argue that the photographer looked so guilty that it
was an understandable mistake on Dexter's part. But of course Dexter
has always taken great pride in only killing truly guilty serial
killers, so he wouldn't let himself off for that one and we shouldn't
either.

>The thing is now Dexter doesn't have anything to focus is rage on
>since the Trinity killer is dead adn he essentially got the last word
>on Dexter. Will he become more like your "ordinary" serial killer or
>will he go back to killing those who are actually guilty of murder but
>escaped the law? I think it will obviously be the later for the most
>part, but with this kill of the "Asshole" (we don't know his name yet)
>he may have crossed a line he can't cross back over entirely..

My greatest fear was that Dexter would eventually become an "ordinary"
serial killer who would kill his Rita and his children. With Rita's
death shocking him out of his own complacency, I think that Dexter
will be his own final victim.
--
"I recall a time not long ago when a bullet in the chest meant a
sucking chest wound, not a quick bandage job and a climactic

Roberto Castillo
roberto...@ameritech.net
http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2010, 10:28:29 PM10/2/10
Volfie999 <mooseb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Nothing was more incongruous than seeing Michael C. Hall at a funeral home.
That guy at the marine filling station really picked the wrong time to
act like a prick, especially when Dexter had already picked up the
sharp instrument. Harry's great: That's the first human thing I've
seen you do!

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 2, 2010, 10:36:37 PM10/2/10
Zombie Elvis <DELETEMETOREPLY...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>My greatest fear was that Dexter would eventually become an "ordinary"
>serial killer who would kill his Rita and his children. With Rita's
>death shocking him out of his own complacency, I think that Dexter
>will be his own final victim.

That'll be disappointing. I expect Deb to take him down, and not her
idiot partner, who is a poor replacement for Erik King.

tinydancer

Oct 3, 2010, 2:27:21 AM10/3/10
On Sun, 3 Oct 2010 02:28:29 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

>Volfie999 <mooseb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Was Michael C Hall wearing a wig? I mean, I don't know when they
>>started shooting and what that timeline had to do with his cancer
>>treatment, etc...
>
>>Also, more importantly, how did he make me feel so sad for Rita
>>dying? I mean, Dexter doesn't feel emotion, so how did Michael Hall
>>almost have me bawling? He's good. :)
>
>Nothing was more incongruous than seeing Michael C. Hall at a funeral home.

For me it was comfortingly familiar to see him at a funeral home
again. People often think 'Dexter' when they see Michael C. Hall, but
I think 'David Fisher'.

tinydancer

Oct 3, 2010, 2:37:38 AM10/3/10

Agreed on all counts, but I'd like to see some time pass between Deb's
discovery of who Dexter really is and her taking him down, so that we
get to see her struggle with her inevitable decision.

Adam H. Kerman

Oct 3, 2010, 2:48:04 AM10/3/10
tinydancer <n...@email.here> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Volfie999 <mooseb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>Was Michael C Hall wearing a wig? I mean, I don't know when they
>>>started shooting and what that timeline had to do with his cancer
>>>treatment, etc...

>>>Also, more importantly, how did he make me feel so sad for Rita
>>>dying? I mean, Dexter doesn't feel emotion, so how did Michael Hall
>>>almost have me bawling? He's good. :)

>>Nothing was more incongruous than seeing Michael C. Hall at a funeral home.

>For me it was comfortingly familiar to see him at a funeral home
>again. People often think 'Dexter' when they see Michael C. Hall, but
>I think 'David Fisher'.

Not as one of the bereaved, heh. Nice to see GayJohn again, even though
he had just the one line.