Does Anyone on the Street Wear a Wig?

David / Amicus

Jul 31, 2006, 2:07:10 AM7/31/06
The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy
and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be an
inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.

David from New Albion

John

Jul 31, 2006, 2:26:43 AM7/31/06
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:07:10 -0700, Ami...@webtv.net (David / Amicus)
wrote:

>The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy
>and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be an
>inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.

It's an admonishment to keep calm, not lose your temper - or so you'd
understand, stay cool. It probably stems from the days when gentlemen
wore powdered wigs and such like and were apt to throw them to the
floor or at each other in anger.

Enzo Matrix

Jul 31, 2006, 2:40:29 AM7/31/06
RDavid / Amicus sniggered evilly behind my back:

> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at
> Tracy and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be
> an inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.

Dunno if any of the *characters* actually wear wigs, but a number of the
actors do, when in character.

Liz Dawn (Vera Duckworth) and Julie Hesmondhalgh (Hayley Cropper) certainly.
Probably Barbara Knox (Rita Sullivan). Vicky Entwhistle (Janice Battersby)
used to wear a wig before the storyline about Janice shaving her head.

And looking at Adam Barlow's hair last night, that *has* to be a wig, 'cos
no one in their right mind would have hair like that!!!

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Trish

Jul 31, 2006, 3:06:34 AM7/31/06

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> And looking at Adam Barlow's hair last night, that *has* to be a wig, 'cos
> no one in their right mind would have hair like that!!!

I had the same thought. It was ridiculous looking.

--
Trish

Dublin

Rosie

Jul 31, 2006, 4:04:41 AM7/31/06
wrote:

>The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy

Rita's hair always looks wig-like. Also, has there ever been anyone
with grey hair in soap, apart from a few 'distinguished' looking
touches for certain kinds of gentlemen?

Rosie

Enzo Matrix

Jul 31, 2006, 5:11:06 AM7/31/06
RRosie sniggered evilly behind my back:

I don't think that any of the women on the street would have grey hair,
given that Audreh's salon is sat right there, ready and waiting.

But, at least none of 'em have that dreadful purple rinse that Phyllis
Pearce always used to wear!

My gran used to have a purple rinse as well. When punk rock was at its
height, I can remember laughing at my gran who always complained about the
punks with the stupid colours in their hair!

Rosie

Jul 31, 2006, 5:32:20 AM7/31/06
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:11:06 +0100, "Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

I believe there must be some taboo against grey hair, but in many ways
it would be nicer for the more elderly viewers to see the taboo
lifted. There's a certain falsity about the hair rules that subtly
reinforces societies prejudice against the elderly.

Rosie

Nick T.

Jul 31, 2006, 6:26:04 AM7/31/06

Ena had grey hair, Elsie did'nt.

John Dean

Jul 31, 2006, 1:36:51 PM7/31/06
Rosie wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:07:10 -0700, Ami...@webtv.net (David / Amicus)
> wrote:
>
>> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at
>> Tracy and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might
>> be an inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.
>>

> Rita's hair always looks wig-like. Also, has there ever been anyone
> with grey hair in soap, apart from a few 'distinguished' looking
> touches for certain kinds of gentlemen?

Tyrone's Monica. Blake and Krystle Carrington. Roly in E**t**d**s.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Enzo Matrix

Jul 31, 2006, 1:46:47 PM7/31/06
RJohn Dean sniggered evilly behind my back:

> Rosie wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:07:10 -0700, Ami...@webtv.net (David / Amicus)
>> wrote:
>>
>>> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at
>>> Tracy and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might
>>> be an inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.
>>>

>> Rita's hair always looks wig-like. Also, has there ever been anyone
>> with grey hair in soap, apart from a few 'distinguished' looking
>> touches for certain kinds of gentlemen?
>>

> Tyrone's Monica.

LOL He's not taking this seriously! :-D

B.G. Kent

Jul 31, 2006, 2:24:45 PM7/31/06

B -It's just a term that people use. We even use it here in Canada.

Bren

MartinS

Jul 31, 2006, 4:29:08 PM7/31/06
Rosie <star...@mmford.plus.com> wrote:
> Ami...@webtv.net (David / Amicus) wrote:
>
>>The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy
>>and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be an
>>inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.
>
> Rita's hair always looks wig-like. Also, has there ever been anyone
> with grey hair in soap, apart from a few 'distinguished' looking
> touches for certain kinds of gentlemen?

Rita is not known as "Big Red Wig" for nothing.

Keith is grey. Percy was IIRC. Ken is fair gone grey. Fred is bald.

Bill Roache's hair is all his own.

Gary Mallett IIRC used to wear a wig because he had alopoecia.

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Jul 31, 2006, 4:30:10 PM7/31/06
"B.G. Kent" <rav...@victoria.tc.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, David / Amicus wrote:
>
>> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy
>> and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be an
>> inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.
>
> B -It's just a term that people use. We even use it here in Canada.

Somewhat similar to "Don't get your knickers in a twist."

--
Martin S.

Alf...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2006, 5:02:46 PM7/31/06
MartinS schrieb:

..Mike Baldwin was displaying silver over the past few years, as did the
bloke who tried to sell an Asian bride to Fred. And "Father Abraham"?
--
Josef

Alf...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2006, 5:04:31 PM7/31/06
MartinS schrieb:

..I always wondered about that one: is it about getting 'em off, or on
in a haste?
--
Josef

Enzo Matrix

Jul 31, 2006, 5:01:57 PM7/31/06
RAl...@hotmail.com sniggered evilly behind my back:

...seven sons he had!
Seven sons had Father Abraham!
And he never laughed...
And he never cried...
And he spent all day doing this...

To the left!

Mamie007

Jul 31, 2006, 7:08:07 PM7/31/06
Where I grew up we said "keep your hat on". :-D
--
Mary Sue (mamie007)
Ottawa

Diane Johnston

Jul 31, 2006, 7:09:27 PM7/31/06
Alf...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Keith is grey. Percy was IIRC. Ken is fair gone grey. Fred is bald.
>>
>> Bill Roache's hair is all his own.
>>
>> Gary Mallett IIRC used to wear a wig because he had alopoecia.
>

> ..Mike Baldwin was displaying silver over the past few years, as did the
> bloke who tried to sell an Asian bride to Fred. And "Father Abraham"?

Mike's hair was looking pretty thin and grey and then suddenly it
seemed thicker and darker so i suspect a piece. Surely Emily
wears one and i think Blanche does as well from what i remember
someone saying, someone who met her irl. Audrey's hair always
seems far too thick for it not to be a wig but i suppose it's
possible.

Diane

MartinS

Jul 31, 2006, 8:33:39 PM7/31/06

knickers in a twist expr adj :
frustration over insurmountable trivialities, syn. panties in a
ruffle, “Don’t get your knickers in a twist”.

http://cgi.peak.org/~jeremy/retort.cgi?British=knickers%20in%20a%20twist

US version: "Don't get your shorts in a knot."

Don't get all riled up over nothing.

"Keep your hair on" has more of a connotation of "Don't be impatient."

--
Martin S.

MartinS

Jul 31, 2006, 8:39:55 PM7/31/06
"Mamie007" <mamie...@netscape.net> wrote:
> B.G. Kent wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, David / Amicus wrote:
>>
>>> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at
>>> Tracy and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might
>>> be an inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.
>>
>> B -It's just a term that people use. We even use it here in Canada.
>>
> Where I grew up we said "keep your hat on". :-D

"You Can Keep Your Hat On" - as sung by Tom Jones in "The Full Monty".
Written by Randy Newman, also recorded by Joe Cocker.

--
Martin S.

John Dean

Jul 31, 2006, 8:45:34 PM7/31/06

He is - he takes her for walks and buys her Grade-A dog food
--
John Dean
Oxford

Blair (TC)

Jul 31, 2006, 9:19:55 PM7/31/06

Both Liz Dawn and Julie Hesmondhalgh wear wigs to become
Vera and Haley respectively. The wigs take about 20 minutes
to put on and are replaced every few months. When a character
leaves the show, the wig is placed into storage. Those leftover
wigs can be cut and dyed to be used by a double when a stunt
has to be performed.

Fred Gee bought a wig and enduried the ridicule of the Rovers'
regulars.

Is Adam wearing a wig? Is that his real hair?

The Big Red Wig - Rita Sullivan.

Comic Peter Kay played Shelley's date. Kay cropped up
as Shelly Unwin's mismatched date in 2004 sporting a
ghastly ginger wig.

Jack Duckworth went on a dating programme in which
he donned a wig, fake name and French accent. Vera,
who also took part in the dating scheme, was shocked
to see Jack's video. She pretended to meet him in The
Rovers Return pub, wearing a ginger wig, and then she
turned around and shocked Jack.

Shelley decided the Rovers needs livening up and
convinced Duggie to hold a drag night. Viewers saw
the burly men of the Street don wigs and stilettos for
a night to remember.

Producers had to stick a blond wig on Norris and use
him as a body double for Maxine in the murder scene.

Mollie Sugden appeared on Coronation Street years
ago (Her husband played Cyril Turpin - Betty's husband).
Too bad she didn't wear Mrs Slocombe's colourful wigs
on Corrie.

Jack Duckworth got all dragged up in wig, frock and
women's shoes in a desperate attempt to win a bowls
competition. (after Hayley was disqualified) Even wife
Vera failed to recognise him. She told bemused
spectators at the match: "I'm sure I know that woman
from somewhere!"

Blair

Roger T.

Jul 31, 2006, 9:39:25 PM7/31/06
They're actors. It wouldn't surprise me if most of the woman wore wigs as a
matter of course. Would they want to look like that in their private lives?

The men? Not sure as mature men's hairstyles don't change much.

--
Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway
http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra/

MartinS

Jul 31, 2006, 10:26:27 PM7/31/06
"Blair (TC)" <stan...@sonetis.com> wrote:

> Mollie Sugden appeared on Coronation Street years
> ago (Her husband played Cyril Turpin - Betty's husband).
> Too bad she didn't wear Mrs Slocombe's colourful wigs
> on Corrie.

Apparently when Mollie Sugden first appeared on AYBS, she had temporary
dye applied to her own hair, but it gave her so many problems, what with
split ends, frizz, etc., that she started wearing coloured wigs.

--
Martin S.

Enzo Matrix

Aug 1, 2006, 3:31:31 AM8/1/06
RMamie007 sniggered evilly behind my back:

You are Joe Cocker AICMFP! :-D

Enzo Matrix

Aug 1, 2006, 3:40:04 AM8/1/06
RMartinS sniggered evilly behind my back:

NANG!

I think the reason that it was used in "The Full Monty" is as a tribute to
Joe Cocker's version. The Cocker version was used on the soundtrack of "9
1/2 Weeks" over a strip by Kim Basinger. (I'd rather watch Kim Basinger
than Robert Carlyle anyday!)

It's ironic that the tribute is better known than the original, but that
seems to happen quite a lot. It has even been mentioned in Corrie.

Patrick made an apology to Janice with flashcards that everyone knew was a
tribute to the similar scene by H*gh Gr*nt (?) in "Four Weddings and a
Funeral" (again ? - I never watch anything with H*gh Gr*nt in it). It took
Roy to point out that the FWAAF scene was already a tribute to Bob Dylan's
video for "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

Enzo Matrix

Aug 1, 2006, 3:49:47 AM8/1/06
RBlair (TC) sniggered evilly behind my back:

> Producers had to stick a blond wig on Norris and use
> him as a body double for Maxine in the murder scene.

Awww... come *on* ! You're making this up as you go along!!!! :-p

MartinS

Aug 1, 2006, 11:07:13 AM8/1/06
"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> RBlair (TC) sniggered evilly behind my back:
>> Producers had to stick a blond wig on Norris and use him as a body
>> double for Maxine in the murder scene.
>
> Awww... come *on* ! You're making this up as you go along!!!! :-p

RBlair make things up? Never! He's a stickler for the truth.

--
Martin S.

Alex Cunningham

Aug 4, 2006, 2:01:33 AM8/4/06

"David / Amicus" <Ami...@webtv.net> wrote:
> The scene I just saw with Ken going without coffee lashing out at Tracy
> and she said to him "Keep your hair on". I thought it might be an
> inside joke if William Roache wears a hairpiece.

There was a fair bit of humour with Reg Holdsworth and his wig shenanigans.
;-)

--
Cheers.
Alex C.