Sleeping Arrangements [SNUKish]

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 23, 2005, 8:02:00 PM11/23/05
to
Spolierish space
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-


I can't sleep. Dunno why. So, seeing as I can't sleep, I've been pondering
the sleeping arrangements of the denizens of Coronation Street. It must be
a tight squeeze for some of 'em and for others the sleeping arrangements
could be cause for concern or maybe even illegal!

So lets take each house in turn. I am assuming that the terraced houses have
two bedrooms upstairs.

The Rovers - probably three bedrooms, taken up by Shelley, Bev and now
Sunita. So where is Violet going to sleep, 'cos you can be that she'll pitch
up there...

No 1 - The Barlows. Ken and Dreary in the master bedroom. Toxic Tracy and
Amy in the other bedroom, although it wouldn't surprise me if Tracy had
forced Ken and Dreary to take the smaller bedroom. Blanche sleeps
downstairs in the front room. This arrangement should eventually cause
problems as Amy will soon need her own room.

No 3 - Emily & Norris. Two bedrooms - two occupants. Nothing untoward there!

No 5 - The Battersbys. Here's where we start having problems. Les and Cilla
in one bedroom. Kirk and Chesneh in the other. Is it actually legal for an
eleven-year-old child to share a bedroom with an unrelated man in his
twenties? It certainly isn't legal for Les to sub-let in a council
property. I know that Les and Kirk pulled that whole "gay couple" scam, but
that's not gonna work now that The Blob is there.

No 7 - The Baldwins. Frankie in one bedroom. Jamie in another. Where does
Carol sleep? It is somewhere upstairs, but *where* ? Or maybe Jamie lets
Carol have his room and he sleeps downstairs.

No 9 - The Duckies. Jack and Vera in one room. Tyrone in the other.

No 11 - The Grimshaws. Eileen in one bedroom. Jason in another. Violet
gone... Sean must sleep in the front room, 'cos before Violet's arrival
there was no way that Jason would have shared a room with him!

No 13 - The Websters. Kev and madSally in one bedroom. The Gurls in the
other... oh dear...

Across the road, I assume that the houses have three bedrooms.

The Platts - more problems. No doubt Gail in one bedroom, David in another,
with Sarah and Bethany sharing the third. Is it healthy for a five-year-old
to share a room with an adult, even if it *is* her mother?

The Appleyards - Keith and Craig in a three bedroomed house. That means
there's room for a model railway!

The Peacocks - Ashleh & Clur in one bedroom. Joshuah in another, Fred in the
third. Fair enough...

So who is living in Martin's ex-flat? Not Lloyd, 'cos he's in the flat above
Streetcars.

And are Leanne and Janice in the flat over the bookies?

How do Mariah and Fiz afford the rent on their flat now that Candice has
gone?

Please let me sleeeeep...

I know... I'll count something. But wot? Maybe those bars on the window.
One... two... three... nope, not working...

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.


SouthSeas

unread,
Nov 23, 2005, 8:24:30 PM11/23/05
to
Enzo reckons:

> I've been pondering
>the sleeping arrangements of the denizens of Coronation Street.

>So lets take each house in turn. I am >assuming that the terraced houses have
>two bedrooms upstairs.

I have an idea that one of the terraced houses had only two bedrooms,
but don't ask me where I read that.


>The Rovers - probably three bedrooms, >taken up by Shelley, Bev and now
>Sunita. So where is Violet going to >sleep, 'cos you can be that she'll pitch
>up there...

In the fictional "little bedroom at the back", as used by Bet when
storylines demanded it. The number of bedrooms at the Rovers has
fluctuated between one and five, apparently. There was a detailed
thread on it here a couple of years ago.

>No 1 - The Barlows. Ken and Dreary in >the master bedroom. Toxic Tracy and
>Amy in the other bedroom, although it >wouldn't surprise me if Tracy had
>forced Ken and Dreary to take the smaller >bedroom. Blanche sleeps
>downstairs in the front room. This >arrangement should eventually cause
>problems as Amy will soon need her own >room.

Tracy will have a council house before then. The real problem was when
Liz was staying with them as well, "on the sofa". What, the sofa in
the dining room? Not humanly possible.
The queues for the loo must be hazardous. Is their outside cludgy still
operational? I don't remember noticing one. Maybe they duck into the
Rovers all the time.


>No 3 - Emily & Norris. Two bedrooms - >two occupants. Nothing untoward there!

When Curly rented that second room, it was huge. Really. There were
some scenes set there.


>No 11 - The Grimshaws. Eileen in one >bedroom. Jason in another. Violet
>gone... Sean must sleep in the front >room,

Yes, he does, on a bed-settee thingamawhoflip. We saw it in the early
scenes of his fiasco with Kelly.

>Across the road, I assume that the >houses have three bedrooms.


>The Platts - more problems. No doubt Gail >in one bedroom, David in another,
>with Sarah and Bethany sharing the >third. Is it healthy for a five-year-old
>to share a room with an adult, even if it >*is* her mother?

Was it healthy for Nick to (presumably)share the room with David and
bring Maria back to his pad?

I can't figure out why some off the Platts are not offloaded to
Audreh's mansion. She must be fair rattling round in that, while her
offspring live like termites in a mound.

>The Peacocks - Ashleh & Clur in one >bedroom. Joshuah in another, Fred in the
>third. Fair enough...

What did Fred do with all the dosh he made from selling his big house?
Time he foudn independent accommodation now that Clur and Ashleh are
wed. Newlyweds need their space. He's a real gooseberry, I say, a right
fifth wheel.


>How do Mariah and Fiz afford the rent on >their flat now that Candice has
>gone?

The same way that Fiona afforded it before they started renting out the
linen cupboard to make it a three person flat, i.e., spending less on
alcopops.


Enzo, have you tried ignatia for insomnia? It's sold in homeopathic and
healthfood outlets and is very effective.

SouthSeas

MartinS

unread,
Nov 23, 2005, 9:28:58 PM11/23/05
to
"SouthSeas" <dale...@lycos.com> wrote:

>>No 1 - The Barlows. Ken and Dreary in the master bedroom. Toxic
>>Tracy and Amy in the other bedroom, although it wouldn't surprise me
>>if Tracy had forced Ken and Dreary to take the smaller bedroom.
>>Blanche sleeps downstairs in the front room. This arrangement should
>>eventually cause problems as Amy will soon need her own room.
>
> Tracy will have a council house before then. The real problem was when
> Liz was staying with them as well, "on the sofa". What, the sofa in
> the dining room? Not humanly possible.
> The queues for the loo must be hazardous. Is their outside cludgy
> still operational? I don't remember noticing one. Maybe they duck into
> the Rovers all the time.

It was seen quite recently in one of the updates. Given that Ken was the
first to have an inside loo over 40 years ago, from what I could see it
was in remarkably good condition. Perhaps, given the influx of women into
Number 1 at various times (Blanche, Tracy, Amy, Wanda, Lena, Liz) Ken had
the outside biffy refurbished so he'd have somewhere to pass all that
coffee he supposedly drinks, or to sit and read the paper in peace.

--
Martin S.

Katherine

unread,
Nov 23, 2005, 10:58:41 PM11/23/05
to

You call Sarah an adult???

TTFN
Katherine


Mudge

unread,
Nov 23, 2005, 11:35:11 PM11/23/05
to

On 11/23/2005 18:02:00 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:

> I know... I'll count something. But wot? Maybe those bars on the
> window. One... two... three... nope, not working...

How about counting the buttons on those padded walls ???

--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (grinning evilly in Calgary)

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently
and for the same reason. -- Anonymous  

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 1:42:10 AM11/24/05
to

SouthSeas <dale...@lycos.com> wrote

> When Curly rented that second room, it was huge. Really. There were
> some scenes set there.

I remember Curly shared with Kev before Kev went to Hilda's. Kev had Issues
with Curly's telescope. There was a storyline that involved a number of
scenes of Kev in very skimpy undies.

Gill

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:42:33 AM11/24/05
to
SouthSeas sniggered evilly behind my back:

>
> Tracy will have a council house before then. The real problem was when
> Liz was staying with them as well, "on the sofa". What, the sofa in
> the dining room? Not humanly possible.
> The queues for the loo must be hazardous. Is their outside cludgy
> still operational? I don't remember noticing one. Maybe they duck
> into the Rovers all the time.

Apparently it is... in a recent storyline where Kirk was trying to nick
Blanches c****t, he hid in their outside bog. Blanche made some comment
about use of the toilet. The very fact that Kirk was able to get in there
points towards it being usable. If it was disused, it would be full of old
prams and bicycles.

>
>> The Platts - more problems. No doubt Gail >in one bedroom, David in
>> another, with Sarah and Bethany sharing the >third. Is it healthy
>> for a five-year-old to share a room with an adult, even if it >*is*
>> her mother?
>
> Was it healthy for Nick to (presumably)share the room with David and
> bring Maria back to his pad?

Nope... but Gail worshipped the ground that Nicky walked on, so he could get
away with anything.

> I can't figure out why some off the Platts are not offloaded to
> Audreh's mansion. She must be fair rattling round in that, while her
> offspring live like termites in a mound.

If you were Audreh would *you* want any of that tribe of thugs and slappers
living anywhere near you?

>> The Peacocks - Ashleh & Clur in one >bedroom. Joshuah in another,
>> Fred in the third. Fair enough...
>
> What did Fred do with all the dosh he made from selling his big house?
> Time he foudn independent accommodation now that Clur and Ashleh are
> wed. Newlyweds need their space. He's a real gooseberry, I say, a
> right fifth wheel.

And has he still got his other shops. At one time he was supposed to have a
chain of butcher's shops as well as the butchery franchise at Freshcos. We
never hear anything about them any more. If he has sold them he must be
sitting on an absolute fortune! On further consideration, he *must* have
sold them otherwise he wouldn't have got in such a tizzy over losing the
Viaduct St shop to Baldwin in a poker game.

> Enzo, have you tried ignatia for insomnia? It's sold in homeopathic
> and healthfood outlets and is very effective.

Ta for the tip, but I don't get insomnia very often. Last night was just a
bit odd...

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:46:06 AM11/24/05
to
MartinS sniggered evilly behind my back:

It's amazing how many different euphoniums there are for "toilet"....

Loo, lav, bog, cludgy, biffy, khasi, heads, traps, thunderbox, porcelain
telephone... any more?

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:47:10 AM11/24/05
to
Katherine sniggered evilly behind my back:

She's eighteen, so legally she is an adult... but then, the law is an ass!

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:47:51 AM11/24/05
to
Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:

Careful now! You know RRenee's back?

Ophelia

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 4:26:47 AM11/24/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:GrednREYrMbwHRje...@giganews.com...

> Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:
>> SouthSeas <dale...@lycos.com> wrote
>>> When Curly rented that second room, it was huge. Really. There were
>>> some scenes set there.
>>
>> I remember Curly shared with Kev before Kev went to Hilda's. Kev had
>> Issues with Curly's telescope. There was a storyline that involved a
>> number of scenes of Kev in very skimpy undies.
>
> Careful now! You know RRenee's back?

Why would she know RRenee's back. Personally I have only spoken to her
front


Diane Johnston

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 5:28:18 AM11/24/05
to
SouthSeas wrote:

> Enzo reckons:

>
>>The Peacocks - Ashleh & Clur in one >bedroom. Joshuah in another, Fred in the
>>third. Fair enough...
>
>
> What did Fred do with all the dosh he made from selling his big house?
> Time he foudn independent accommodation now that Clur and Ashleh are
> wed. Newlyweds need their space. He's a real gooseberry, I say, a right
> fifth wheel.
>
>

I believe fred used the money from the sale of his house to buy
Eve the Rovers Return.

Diane

Katherine

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 5:51:38 AM11/24/05
to

Eggzackerly!

TTFN
Katherine (It is too early to remember which Dickens character said that.)


Nick T.

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 6:38:40 AM11/24/05
to
I remember back in the Dark Ages, (the 60's) , they never had inside
loos, except I believe
the Walker's, now they do, and have bathrooms, where was the space
found for the inside loo and bath??

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 6:44:58 AM11/24/05
to
Diane Johnston sniggered evilly behind my back:

aha yes... good remembering, RDiane!

renee...@myway.com

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 8:46:11 AM11/24/05
to

Gillian V wrote:

> There was a storyline that involved a number of
> scenes of Kev in very skimpy undies.

Do you, perchance, have a video of those episodes, dear? If so, I'd
like a copy. For archiving purposes, naturally.

your friend,
Renee

JPG

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 10:30:11 AM11/24/05
to

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Starting stall, dunny, reading room, sh*thouse, outhouse, john, meeting
room of the ASPRS (Armitage-Shanks Plastering and Rendering Society).

Mudge

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 2:50:13 PM11/24/05
to

On 11/24/2005 01:42:33 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:

> And has he still got his other shops. At one time he was supposed to have
> a chain of butcher's shops as well as the butchery franchise at Freshcos.
> We never hear anything about them any more. If he has sold them he must
> be sitting on an absolute fortune! On further consideration, he *must*
> have sold them otherwise he wouldn't have got in such a tizzy over losing
> the Viaduct St shop to Baldwin in a poker game.

Didn't the shop he had in Freshco close when Freshco changed hands
(sold to an American Co. as I recall) and wasn't his "chain" all
located in various Freshco outlets - as I recall he only had one
stand-alone shop which was closed when he moved to Viaduct Street at
the time Granada revised the street layout.

--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (in sunny, 16.6C, Calgary)

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 2:49:55 PM11/24/05
to

<renee...@myway.com> wrote in message
news:1132839971.9...@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Naturally. But I can't oblige - your imagination will have to suffice!
It was very unCorrie-like at the time and almost had the whiff of a promo
for Michael le Vell. Perhaps this was early in the drive to attract younger
viewers?

Gill


Anne

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:49:08 PM11/24/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:hL6dnRUBlfO...@giganews.com...

Where did Ray sleep when he was staying with Emily (Cdn timeline)? Norris
wouldn't share his room - or we'd have heard about it repeatedly wouldn't
we? And where did/does Ray sleep now that he has left Emily's and gone to
No 1 (perhaps we will see tonight?)?


Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 3:59:57 PM11/24/05
to
Anne sniggered evilly behind my back:

I think that he slept downstairs in the front room, in the same room where
Magneto stayed. I don't think that Ray was mobile enough to get up and down
the stiars, which also brings up the question of which bog did he use?

> And where did/does Ray sleep now that he has
> left Emily's and gone to No 1 (perhaps we will see tonight?)?


I think that Tracy and Amy moved out for the duration. Blanche would
therefore have taken Tracy's room and Ray took Blanche's room. The bog
enigma is still valid.

Mudge

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 4:13:14 PM11/24/05
to

On 11/24/2005 13:59:57 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:

> I think that he slept downstairs in the front room, in the same room where
> Magneto stayed. I don't think that Ray was mobile enough to get up and
> down the stiars, which also brings up the question of which bog did he
> use?

Wouldn't Emily have one in the back yard (like Les B) or maybe he used
Les' loo !

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 24, 2005, 4:19:24 PM11/24/05
to
Mudge sniggered evilly behind my back:

> On 11/24/2005 13:59:57 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:
>
>> I think that he slept downstairs in the front room, in the same room
>> where Magneto stayed. I don't think that Ray was mobile enough to
>> get up and down the stiars, which also brings up the question of
>> which bog did he use?
>
> Wouldn't Emily have one in the back yard (like Les B) or maybe he used
> Les' loo !

This links into another current thread. It seems that there are at least
three of the terraced houses which may still have serviceable outside loos:
Nos 1, 3 and 5. These houses are all contiguous. I wonder if that is a
significant fact. Isn't the next house in line the one that collapsed and
was rebuilt by Len Fairclough?

Message has been deleted

Anne

unread,
Nov 25, 2005, 6:23:46 PM11/25/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:keOdnSMjn8t...@giganews.com...
Last evening's episode had only Amy moving out, Blanche moving in with
Deirdre, Ray having Blanche's room, Tracy staying in hers because she'd have
to look after Amy during the day (when does Tracy EVER look after Amy, and
why would she need a bedroom during the day - couldn't the toddler nap in
Deirdre's room?) and Ken got the couch. I am with him, for it is HIS house,
not that of any of the females with whom he shares it. Anyway, is this
tardis effect (I've never seen Doctor Who), as that means there are three
bedrooms upstairs.

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 25, 2005, 6:33:54 PM11/25/05
to

And when does Sarah *ever* look after the Bethanies?

> and why would she need a bedroom during the day -
> couldn't the toddler nap in Deirdre's room?) and Ken got the couch.
> I am with him, for it is HIS house, not that of any of the females
> with whom he shares it. Anyway, is this tardis effect (I've never
> seen Doctor Who), as that means there are three bedrooms upstairs.

Blanche has the front room downstairs. Well, in your timeline, Ray has it
now...

I remember now... Tracy wanted to move into Steve's with Amy, but Steve
wasn't having any of it... *That's* why Tracy "needed" a bedroom.

I has hoped that Steve would have *really* set the cat amongst the pigeons
by offering his spare room to Ken! That could have been fun...

MartinS

unread,
Nov 25, 2005, 8:55:32 PM11/25/05
to
"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> And has he still got his other shops. At one time he was supposed to
> have a chain of butcher's shops as well as the butchery franchise at
> Freshcos. We never hear anything about them any more. If he has sold
> them he must be sitting on an absolute fortune! On further
> consideration, he *must* have sold them otherwise he wouldn't have got
> in such a tizzy over losing the Viaduct St shop to Baldwin in a poker
> game.

Victoria Street. Pay attention at he back!!

--
Martin S.

MartinS

unread,
Nov 25, 2005, 9:02:59 PM11/25/05
to
"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Mudge sniggered evilly behind my back:
>> "Enzo Matrix" wrote:
>>
>>> I think that he slept downstairs in the front room, in the same room
>>> where Magneto stayed. I don't think that Ray was mobile enough to
>>> get up and down the stiars, which also brings up the question of
>>> which bog did he use?
>>
>> Wouldn't Emily have one in the back yard (like Les B) or maybe he
>> used Les' loo !
>
> This links into another current thread. It seems that there are at
> least three of the terraced houses which may still have serviceable
> outside loos: Nos 1, 3 and 5. These houses are all contiguous. I
> wonder if that is a significant fact. Isn't the next house in line
> the one that collapsed and was rebuilt by Len Fairclough?

Those little outhouses are too tiny for loos. The bog that was installed
for a Les storyline actually extends through into Emily's. I saw it with
my own eyes when I visited the set, 'way back.

And the "brick" walls between the back yards are made of styrofoam, so as
to be easily movable for the cameras. It was only this week I noticed
there is only a run-down fence, not a brick wall, between Nos. 1 and 3.

--
Martin S.

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 3:42:25 AM11/26/05
to
MartinS sniggered evilly behind my back:

So which one is Viaduct Street? I know, I know... we have this discussion
every few months! :-)

Anne

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 9:18:23 AM11/26/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1f-dnTAx2Y3...@giganews.com...

> Anne sniggered evilly behind my back:
> > "Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:keOdnSMjn8t...@giganews.com...
> >> Anne sniggered evilly behind my back:
> >>> "Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>> news:hL6dnRUBlfO...@giganews.com...
> >>>> Spolierish space
> >>>> -
> >>>> -
> >>>> -
> >>>> -
> >>>>
> >>>>

Well, she used to take her to and from the day care centre, and did care for
her when she was with Todd.


>
> > and why would she need a bedroom during the day -
> > couldn't the toddler nap in Deirdre's room?) and Ken got the couch.
> > I am with him, for it is HIS house, not that of any of the females
> > with whom he shares it. Anyway, is this tardis effect (I've never
> > seen Doctor Who), as that means there are three bedrooms upstairs.
>
> Blanche has the front room downstairs. Well, in your timeline, Ray has it
> now...

Where is the front room downstairs? I know we see one in the Webster's
House, where they sit and watch TV. But don't recall ever seeing one in
Ken's house. Is it at the front of the house?


>
> I remember now... Tracy wanted to move into Steve's with Amy, but Steve
> wasn't having any of it... *That's* why Tracy "needed" a bedroom.
>
> I has hoped that Steve would have *really* set the cat amongst the pigeons
> by offering his spare room to Ken! That could have been fun...

Yes!


Anne

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 9:19:22 AM11/26/05
to

"MartinS" <m...@my.place> wrote in message
news:4387c24f$0$233$892e...@auth.newsreader.octanews.com...
Yes - has it been shown before?


Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 9:31:54 AM11/26/05
to
Anne sniggered evilly behind my back:
>> Blanche has the front room downstairs. Well, in your timeline, Ray
>> has it now...
>
> Where is the front room downstairs?

It's downstairs. At the front! <Enzo ducks>

> I know we see one in the
> Webster's House, where they sit and watch TV. But don't recall ever
> seeing one in Ken's house. Is it at the front of the house?

nodnodnod :-) Between the living room and the front door is a little
hallway. The stairs lead up from the hallway and the front room leads off
from it. Some of the houses have had the front rooms knocked through.

Those that definitely have front rooms are:

No 1 - The Barlows


No 3 - Emily & Norris

No 11 - The Grimshaws
No 13 - The Websters

No 5 - The Battersbys and No 7 - Frankie and Jamie have had their walls
knocked through. The front door opens directly into their main room.

I can't remember about No 9 - The Duckies. I think that they have a hallway
which must mean that they also have a front room, but I can't ever remember
seeing inside it. Mind you, David the Spawn of Satan put the front window
through once.

Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never allowed in
there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My Gran and Grandad had a
house very similar to the terraces in Coronation Street. The front room was
only for best and no one - but *no one* - was allowed in unless it was a
very special occasion indeed. The only time I can remember my Grandad being
allowed in there was when he was in his coffin.

Anne

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 12:37:41 PM11/26/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:v9qdneQNcbV77BXe...@giganews.com...

> Anne sniggered evilly behind my back:
> >> Blanche has the front room downstairs. Well, in your timeline, Ray
> >> has it now...
>
> > I know we see one in the
> > Webster's House, where they sit and watch TV. But don't recall ever
> > seeing one in Ken's house. Is it at the front of the house?
>
> nodnodnod :-) Between the living room and the front door is a little
> hallway. The stairs lead up from the hallway and the front room leads off
> from it. Some of the houses have had the front rooms knocked through.
>
> Those that definitely have front rooms are:
>
> No 1 - The Barlows
> No 3 - Emily & Norris
> No 11 - The Grimshaws
> No 13 - The Websters
>
> No 5 - The Battersbys and No 7 - Frankie and Jamie have had their walls
> knocked through. The front door opens directly into their main room.
>
> I can't remember about No 9 - The Duckies. I think that they have a
hallway
> which must mean that they also have a front room, but I can't ever
remember
> seeing inside it. Mind you, David the Spawn of Satan put the front window
> through once.

Thanks Enzo. We do see a phone in the hall at the Duckies, don't we?

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 4:58:32 PM11/26/05
to

Enzo Matrix <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote

> Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never allowed
in
> there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My Gran and Grandad had
a
> house very similar to the terraces in Coronation Street. The front room
was
> only for best and no one - but *no one* - was allowed in unless it was a
> very special occasion indeed. The only time I can remember my Grandad
being
> allowed in there was when he was in his coffin.

Interesting memories, Enzo. Whilst old houses in NZ varied enormously in
layout, if the kitchen/living was big enough, often the "sitting room" was
kept for entertaining visitors - up to the time of telly, that is, then many
people had their telly installed in the "sitting room". Telly watching
quickly ceased to be a special occasion thingy, so the sitting rooms were
opened up for general use.

Long before our family's telly days, we had our phone in the "sitting room"
as using the phone was almost in the category of a special occasion, too,
i.e. you only used it if you had to and making a toll call (trunk call?) was
a mammoth occasion for which you had to be mentally and financially prepared
(I jest a little, but only a little).

My big brother took to entertaining his girlfriend in the sitting room, so
then I would find a reason for plonking myself in there at the same time
(books were kept there too!!).

Gill


Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 5:15:46 PM11/26/05
to
Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:

> My big brother took to entertaining his girlfriend in the sitting
> room, so then I would find a reason for plonking myself in there at
> the same time (books were kept there too!!).

I have books in almost every room of the house. Only the bathroom is
exempt.

<Enzo likes books! :-) >

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 5:30:14 PM11/26/05
to

Enzo Matrix <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9s6dncbTcJ09QxXe...@giganews.com...

> Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:
> > My big brother took to entertaining his girlfriend in the sitting
> > room, so then I would find a reason for plonking myself in there at
> > the same time (books were kept there too!!).
>
> I have books in almost every room of the house. Only the bathroom is
> exempt.
>
> <Enzo likes books! :-) >

Is that bathroom in the American sense? If not, do you have 'em in the loo,
too?

Gill


Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 6:23:35 PM11/26/05
to
Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:
> Enzo Matrix <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:9s6dncbTcJ09QxXe...@giganews.com...
>> Gillian V sniggered evilly behind my back:
>>> My big brother took to entertaining his girlfriend in the sitting
>>> room, so then I would find a reason for plonking myself in there at
>>> the same time (books were kept there too!!).
>>
>> I have books in almost every room of the house. Only the bathroom is
>> exempt.
>>
>> <Enzo likes books! :-) >
>
> Is that bathroom in the American sense? If not, do you have 'em in
> the loo, too?

It's "bathroom" because it has a bath in it. It also has a loo...

I don't keep books in there, 'cos they'd probably get all soggy.

Maggy

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 6:32:32 PM11/26/05
to
Enzo Matrix wrote:

> Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never allowed in
> there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My Gran and Grandad had a
> house very similar to the terraces in Coronation Street. The front room was
> only for best and no one - but *no one* - was allowed in unless it was a
> very special occasion indeed. The only time I can remember my Grandad being
> allowed in there was when he was in his coffin.
>

No, don't think it's a northern thing, I grew up in a very similar house
to the corrie ones, and that was in Somerset. The only difference I can
see is we had a little walled 'garden' outside the front door. Anyway
we only used the front room on special occasions, at Christmas we put a
tree in there and lit a fire. lol and when peter and I were courting we
were allowed a little privacy by using it . So In would say it is?was a
british thing

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 6:43:10 PM11/26/05
to

Enzo Matrix <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bO2dnX-I5av...@giganews.com...

Even the rather dry ones...... ?


MartinS

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 7:14:12 PM11/26/05
to
"Gillian V" <gill...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

My grandparents had a terrace house with a front room that I don't ever
remember being used, even on special occasions. It had a musty smell,
and contained a suite of furniture, a china cabinet and a wind-up
console gramophone. I seem to remember the curtains were always drawn.

A few years ago, I saw an estate agent's listing for the same house,
which was unrecognizable. The bay window had been removed, and internal
walls knocked out. I don't remember the price, but it was obviously many
times what my grandparents paid for it around 1910. They lived there
until they both died in 1962.

--
Martin S.

MartinS

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 7:14:59 PM11/26/05
to
Maggy <m...@myhome.com> wrote:

You were courting? Reminds me of Wilfred Pickles!! ;-)

--
Martin S.

Maggy

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 9:38:08 PM11/26/05
to
well Martin, I didn't know what else to call it LOL going out? but we
were in .

SouthSeas

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 10:28:31 PM11/26/05
to
GHill reckons:

>Whilst old houses in NZ varied enormously in
>layout, if the kitchen/living was big enough, often the "sitting room" was
>kept for entertaining visitors - up to the time of telly, that is, then many
>people had their telly installed in the "sitting room

My grandparents lived in a sprawly 1920s "Californian bungalow", and
the good front room could not have been further away from the kitchen,
so was reserved for formal afternoon teas, and the Christmas tree
gathering and frolics. The back parlour sufficed for daily life. (Mind
you, the front room was also a good place to put children when the
grownups wanted a private chat. Along with the riding instructions
about what we were and were not allowed to touch. ) We liked raiding
the china cabinet for my great-grandmother's Goss collection, which was
cheap enough to let kids play with. Including the Sussex pig that said
"You can push and you can shove, but I'm hanged if I'll be druv." And
the trick jug that would not pour unless you know where to put your
fingers, and Anne Hathaway's cottage, and all the other residue of late
Victorian and Edwardian holidays in the UK.

A three piece velvet suite in serviceable shades of taupe, the carpet
square in a rather advanced fauvist pattern, the gold edged convex
mirror hung low enough to amuse the grandchildren, and the pianny with
the brass candle sconces. The furniture was pure 1920s, as it lasted
forever being so seldom used. The huge cabinet radio and the elegant
china cabinet with a motley of contents including granny's brother's
curios from his service in India, and a crazed egg cup "that had been
through the Napier earthquake". Grandfather had travelled a lot as a
young man, so some of his curios were very curious indeed. Spoils of
empire, you might say. Load of old tat, you might also say.

Nothing whatsoever to do with Corrie, I just enjoyed walking through
the old rooms today in my mind. Ta.
Except that a glance through modern real estate pages (NZ ones anyway)
on the net confirms that the tradition of keeping the sitting room for
best continues today no matter what your house shape and standard of
elegance. If you've got two living areas, they will be formal and
informal, sure as eggs.

SouthSeas

Gillian V

unread,
Nov 26, 2005, 11:53:21 PM11/26/05
to

SouthSeas <dale...@lycos.com> wrote

> Nothing whatsoever to do with Corrie, I just enjoyed walking through
> the old rooms today in my mind. Ta.

It's easy for forget, too, how c-c-c-c-cooooold those "best" rooms were in
winter-time, too.

> Except that a glance through modern real estate pages (NZ ones anyway)
> on the net confirms that the tradition of keeping the sitting room for
> best continues today no matter what your house shape and standard of
> elegance. If you've got two living areas, they will be formal and
> informal, sure as eggs.

Well.... "if" must be the operative word then, cos hubby and I are not and
never have been in that posh category!

Gill


Mamie007

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 1:35:40 AM11/27/05
to

Indeed Dale. My parents' house had a lovely large living room with my
mother's best furniture and decor which we were virtually forbidden from
entering. The room ran the full width of the house with an entrance at
either end. At one end was the "family" room which was where most of the
family activities took place. The decor there was considerably more rustic
and included a full wall fieldstone fireplace. That was the room that the
kids had full run of.

Mary Sue (mamie007)
Ottawa


Mamie007

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 1:36:46 AM11/27/05
to

We'd call it dating these days Maggy. That can be done whilst going out or
staying in. :-)

Mary Sue (mamie007)
Ottawa


Ophelia

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 3:37:12 AM11/27/05
to
On alt.fan.goons there has been a similar thread where people have
shared their childhood memories.

I have put them on a website and I wondered whether those of you who
have shared memories here, would object to me putting their memories on
the site too.

http://www.qpat.co.uk/Memories.htm


Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 4:32:24 AM11/27/05
to
Maggy sniggered evilly behind my back:

> Enzo Matrix wrote:
>
>> Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never
>> allowed in there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My Gran
>> and Grandad had a house very similar to the terraces in Coronation
>> Street. The front room was only for best and no one - but *no one* -
>> was allowed in unless it was a very special occasion indeed. The
>> only time I can remember my Grandad being allowed in there was when
>> he was in his coffin.
>>
> No, don't think it's a northern thing, I grew up in a very similar
> house to the corrie ones, and that was in Somerset. The only
> difference I can see is we had a little walled 'garden' outside the
> front door.

You grew up in a very posh 'ouse. There were some houses like that in the
street at the bottom of the hill from my grandparents place. I remember that
one of them was a toffee shop.

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 4:34:18 AM11/27/05
to
MartinS sniggered evilly behind my back:

Round our way, drawn curtains in the daytime were a sign of mourning.

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 6:50:30 AM11/27/05
to
Ophelia sniggered evilly behind my back:

By all means, put mine up there if you wish. :-)

Ophelia

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 7:00:57 AM11/27/05
to

"Enzo Matrix" <enz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

news:luadnasqvvgBABTe...@giganews.com...


> Ophelia sniggered evilly behind my back:
>> On alt.fan.goons there has been a similar thread where people have
>> shared their childhood memories.
>>
>> I have put them on a website and I wondered whether those of you who
>> have shared memories here, would object to me putting their memories
>> on the site too.
>>
>> http://www.qpat.co.uk/Memories.htm
>
> By all means, put mine up there if you wish. :-)

ta:)


Ophelia

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 7:09:49 AM11/27/05
to

"Ophelia" <oph...@nix.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Zdhif.81500$375....@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

BTW write some more stuff eh? Get that mind going back and
remembering:)

Message has been deleted

Katherine

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 8:20:18 AM11/27/05
to

I'll do that, Ophelia, when I get some free time. Please remind me, either
here or in the other place.

TTFN
Katherine


Maggy

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 8:41:47 AM11/27/05
to
Enzo Matrix wrote:

>
> Round our way, drawn curtains in the daytime were a sign of mourning.
>

that was the same for us, drawn curtains were a mark of respect, on the
day of the funeral all the curtains in the street would be drawn.

Ophelia

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 9:20:48 AM11/27/05
to

--
Childhood Memories
http://www.qpat.co.uk/Memories.htm
"Katherine" <kbur...@crrstv.net> wrote in message
news:3utq4jF...@individual.net...

Ok I will look forward to seeing it:))


Gordon Davie

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 2:47:11 PM11/27/05
to

These days it shows that a student lives there.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"


Gillian V

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 2:48:59 PM11/27/05
to

E. Barry Bruyea <liberala...@program.pc.ca> wrote
> A little bit of historical trivia: One of my wife's first jobs was
> with Bell Canada as part time Telephone Operator. She worked in the
> section that handled overseas calls, as you had to contact the
> operator to make the call. She would place the call through Montreal
> and after connected, she would listen in so that the time the
> caller/callee spent 'crying' or being very emotional, would not be
> charged, as it was hellishly expensive. A different time.

:-)
Indeed, a different time...

Gill


Alf...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 3:01:12 PM11/27/05
to
Gordon Davie schrieb:

..OI! Erm - reaction from some thirty years ago, but reflex still working..

--
Josef

Mudge

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 3:02:12 PM11/27/05
to

On 11/26/2005 07:31:54 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:

> Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never allowed
> in there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My Gran and Grandad
> had a house very similar to the terraces in Coronation Street. The front
> room was only for best and no one - but *no one* - was allowed in unless
> it was a very special occasion indeed. The only time I can remember my
> Grandad being allowed in there was when he was in his coffin.

Was 'e a wake ???

--
The Canadian Curmudgeon (in sunny, -3C, snowy, Calgary)

Politicians are like diapers. They should both be changed frequently and
for the same reason. -- Anonymous  

Nick T.

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 3:12:24 PM11/27/05
to
My grandparents place in London was the same, the front room was only
used for special occasions,the furniture was usually covered, and it
was freezing in the winter No bathroom, and the loo was out back. Their
terraced house is still there, presumably it has been modernised.(there
is a satellite dish on the outside).

Mudge

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 3:12:33 PM11/27/05
to

On 11/26/2005 15:15:46 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:

> I have books in almost every room of the house. Only the bathroom is
> exempt.

Why - the loo is the only place I can catch up on me "light reading"

Enzo Matrix

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 4:08:12 PM11/27/05
to
Mudge sniggered evilly behind my back:

> On 11/26/2005 07:31:54 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:
>
>> Maybe the reason that we have never seen it is that Jack is never
>> allowed in there. Actually, that's a typical Northern thing. My
>> Gran and Grandad had a house very similar to the terraces in
>> Coronation Street. The front room was only for best and no one -
>> but *no one* - was allowed in unless it was a very special occasion
>> indeed. The only time I can remember my Grandad being allowed in
>> there was when he was in his coffin.
>
> Was 'e a wake ???

Me Gran wouldn't have a wake. Shame really... me Grandad would've liked
that.

Alf...@gmail.com

unread,
Nov 27, 2005, 5:18:01 PM11/27/05
to
Mudge wrote:
>
> On 11/26/2005 15:15:46 "Enzo Matrix" wrote:
>
>
>>I have books in almost every room of the house. Only the bathroom is
>>exempt.
>
>
> Why - the loo is the only place I can catch up on me "light reading"

..Like Peanuts, and Garfield? Haegar The Horrible?
:-)
--
Josef