Y&R

Mark A. Lindsay

Oct 4, 1990, 9:30:13 AM10/4/90
M...@psuvm.psu.edu (Michael) writes:

|The Ashley Abbott I remember would never have so impulsively leapt into
|a marriage, even with her one true love, Victor Newman. Further, she
|would have gently spoken with Brad before moving on to a marriage with
|another man.

Agreed. Ashley was always the most selfless person on the show. She
put EVERYONE before herself. However, I think that Ashley is learning that
you occasionally MUST do something for yourself no matter how much it hurts
other people. Continuously putting others before yourself will hurt you more
in the end.

|This last comment must be
|qualified, however, by the fact that I get tired of watching all the
|romantic mix and match, and I would like to see at least a few sincere
|unions.

The problem with Y&R is that it does not have a marriage/couple that
is stable no matter what. MANY marriages last forever, but Y&R hasn't had
anything stable in too long. I thought that Katherine & Rex were going to do
it, but they split them up as well. Another problem was mentioned a day or
two ago: Victor makes up almost too much of the show. Though I love Eric's
portrayal, he DOES unbalance from the rest of the actors/actresses. Y&R
should look for someone who can keep up with him. If Eileen Davidson had
stayed on the show a stable couple could have been found between Ashley and
Victor that would have been wonderful to see. Instead of a romance to revolve
around, Y&R revolves around revenge between Jack/Victor. It isn't healthy
for the show.

|All of which is a roundabout way of saying that I doubt this Ashley
|& Victor union can last. I don't believe it will. I believe that when
|you spend your life chasing a fantasy, you elevate it into some kind
|of perfect thing. When you finally get your hands on it, its
|fantastic properties reveal themselves to be fleeting and ethereal, and
|you are left with reality, which may be a little cold and disappointing

I think you are right again. This relationship has not been cultivated
in any good way recently. Ashley/Victor during their affair and aftermath were
a simple joy to behold. It was developed properly, and had lasting potential.
Now we have an undeveloped couple in many ways. Their relationship started
out as a fantasy, went to friendship and now I see no basis for a continuing
relationship between these two.

Victor is the not-so-perfect white knight. He has flaws in his armor,
but is still the hero. He is a fantasy figure more so than hunky Brad or
the perfect rockstar Danny. He is an ideal character and Eric is the perfect
actor to start a stable relationship on the show. They just can't find anyone
to keep up with Eric, so Victor is resigned to flitting eternally between women.

MORE ROMANCE IN Y&R!
GIVE ERIC AN EMMY.
USE JUST "Y&R" AS A HEADING -- SET THE TREND FOR THE GROUP!

Engineering Computer Network --------------- ma...@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
| Mark A. Lindsay |
University of Oklahoma --------------- Veritas Omnia Vincit

Alison Gebbie

Oct 7, 1990, 1:56:59 PM10/7/90
> |The Ashley Abbott I remember would never have so impulsively leapt into
> |a marriage, even with her one true love, Victor Newman. Further, she
> |would have gently spoken with Brad before moving on to a marriage with
> |another man.

> Agreed. Ashley was always the most selfless person on the show. She
> put EVERYONE before herself. However, I think that Ashley is learning that
> you occasionally MUST do something for yourself no matter how much it hurts
> other people. Continuously putting others before yourself will hurt you more
> in the end.

I think Ashley is being selfless again. Although she does love
Victor, she is really giving up Brad because Traci wants him back. I
wish Eileen Davidson still had the part - that would make for some
interesting sparks.
--

Alison Gebbie (geb...@pilot.njin.net)

Kim Long

Oct 8, 1990, 9:20:24 PM10/8/90
%*/#! set me up")

Ashley/Brad/Victor

Brad goes over to Victor's to drop off some paperwork. Victor says
nothing of the marriage to Ashley. He acts as if nothing has
happened at all. Brad leaves soon after for his date with Ashley.

Ashley and Brad are finally going to get their dinner together.
Brad is on cloud nine but Ashley is in despair. She doesn't
know what how she will tell Brad.

Brad is waiting at the dining room. Ashley removes her ring before
entering. When she comes in Brad embraces her and tells her how
hard it was waiting. They sit and Brad begins to tell her how much
he loves her, then tells Ashley that the floor is hers.

Ashley starts by telling Brad how wonderful the summer has been and
how happy she is. She tells him how much he means to her. Brad
interrupts saying that the timing is too perfect to let her go on,
he must show her something. He takes out a portfolio and hands it
to Ash. Instead of going on with her speech, telling Brad she has
something more important, she takes the folder and opens it. Inside
are photos of churches-Brad wants her to pick the place she wants to
get married. It can be a tiny country church or a grand cathedral
in europe. Then he pulls out another folder. This one has travel
brochures. Finally, he pulls out a jewelry box and opens it up.
Of course it's a ring "almost as beautiful as Ashley".

Ashley begins to get upset. "Brad, I can't accept this. There's
something I must tell you". She breaks the news to him without
preamble. Brad is furious. He accuses her and Victor of plotting
behind his back. He feels terribly betrayed and storms out of the
dining room leaving a sobbing Ashley in his wake.

He goes to Cassandra. She is on the phone and her final words before
hanging up are "Yes, I agree. Call him first thing in the morning and
make him the offer". She turns to Brad and asks what brings him by.
Brad starts to say that perhaps it's better if he leaves but Cassie
talks him into staying and getting things off his chest. As Brad
begins his tale of woe, Cassandra's eyes narrow. When he comes to the
"punchline" of the story, Cassandra is lost for words. "I can't believe
it!" Neither can Brad. Brad wants to work at Ray-Tech. He wants
the CEO position. Cassandra tells him several times that she'd love
to have him as CEO but that he's making a decision in a moment of haste,
without really thinking of the consequences. She reminds him that he's
a professional and should be able to handle working with Ash and Victor.
No way, says Brad. He can't bear to think of going into work with those two.

Ashley finally gets home to Victor. She is close to tears and Victor
holds her close and reassures her that she did only what she had to do.
That no one could have forseen their situation and she's not to hold
herself responsible.

Niki/Jack/Victor

Victor tries to call Niki at home. He has talked to Douglas and discovered
that Niki doesn't know anything of his marriage (as was his first thought)
and can't figure out why she's trying get in touch. Miguel tells him
nothing and only promises to get a message to Mrs. Abbott.

Niki is in the hospital. She is still trying to get a hold of Victor to
talk. It looks as if the baby will be fine. She has told neither Jack
nor Victor that she is pregnant.

Jack goes to the doctor and inquires about the condition of the baby.
At first the doc is reluctant to discuss things but since Jack knows
he tells him that everything should be o.k. Jack calls home and talks
to Miguel. He learns that Mr. Newman has called wanting to speak to Niki.
Jack tells Miguel that he handled that call perfectly and he'd take care
of it.

Jack then goes to Niki and gives her every opportunity to say something
about the baby. Of course, she says nary a word and Jack is in a
quandry about what to do. He goes to work and runs into his dad. He
tells him about what's been happening and John breaks the news about
Ashley and Victor. "I can't believe it!" Jack is ready to kill but
John tells him that nothing can be done and Ashley is happy. John
reminds him that Ashley's happiness should come first. Jack returns
to the hospital.

John heads over to Victor to have a Father/Son-in-law talk. He tells
Victor he doesn't want to see Ashley get hurt and then proceeds to fill
Victor in on Niki's fall from the horse, including that she is pregnant.
Victor acts very blase' and doesn't let on that he's surprised. As
soon as John leaves, Victor heads over to the hospital.

Niki's doctor comes in and she learns that Jack has discussed the baby
with him. She's totally unprepared for that. She wonders how he knew.
Her doctor tells her that Jack came in asking questions about the baby
and he didn't mention anything first. He just assumed that Niki had
finally informed Jack of the pregnancy. The doctor leaves. In walks
Victor, acting very concerned. She explains her fall and then Victor
asks about the baby. Niki fumbles around and tells him everything is
fine. Victor tells Niki there is something important he must tell her
but now is not the time. Then leaves. Niki is in total chaos, wondering
how both of the men in her life could know about the pregnancy.

Jack returns from Jabot. He seems a little pre-occupied. Niki remarks
on this. She asks about wedding bells. Jack says they rang for someone.
Niki says "Great, Ashley and Brad got married". Jack replies that she
is half right. Niki's jaw drops and her eyes get huge-"you don't mean
Ashley and Victor", she stammers. "I can't believe it!"

Rex/Leanna/Jill/Catherine/Brock/Esther

Catherine is standing at the window in the mansion. Brock asks her
if she is expecting company. She answers that she is expecting Rex
soon. She knows him well enough by now to know he will be by to talk
to her about the party. Brock tells her that her plan will backfire.
She shouldn't try to get all of the people together for a showdown.
Then Esther comes in. She's got the baby in a sling around her front.
She wants to ask Catherine and Brock a favor. She would like them to
be god-parents. She's tired of waiting for Tiny to take part in his
daughter's life. Catherine and Brock are delighted. They stand around
for a couple of minutes discussing how wonderful it is when Esther glances
out the window. Sure enough, Rex is heading up the walk. Catherine runs
upstairs, telling Brock to handle it. She's not there to talk to Rex.

Rex confronts Brock with his mother's plan. Brock doesn't say much
except that he will let her know what Rex had to say. He semi-supports
her wanting to throw the party. Rex tells him that if she thinks she
can win him back by doing this she's got another thing coming.

Rex goes to Leanna's to tell her once again that he's not going to the
party and she shouldn't either. He tells her that Catherine is just
using her to liven up the party and she shouldn't let herself be used
that way. Leanna is determined to get him to go. She lays a big kiss
on him and trys to entice him with promises of an excitement filled
evening.

Jill and John are talking in John's office. Jill is being coy and flirty
with John. John tells her of Ashley's marriage. Jill is aghast-she
can't believe it. He tells her he's decided to take some time off. He's got
to do some thinking about his life and take his own advice. He's going
to the Bahamas for a month. Jill's eyes light up. She tries to invite
herself on the cruise. John tells her he's going alone. He leaves
Jill with the impression that he's not considering her in the least for
a lifetime partner in marriage.

Jill goes home. She's sitting on the couch crying. Rex comes in. Jill
jumps up to hug and kiss him. Tells him repeatedly how glad she is that
he's home. Then she tells Rex that she's decided that they will go to
Catherine's engagement party. Rex doesn't say much - both try to tell the
other they were right and had a point about Catherine's reasons and
how the other felt. Jill ended up "winning" and calls Catherine to
tell her they will be there.

David/Nina

David is in his office with his back-door girl. She's standing there
with her shirt off trying to seduce him. David isn't going for it.
When she tells him it must be about Danny, David gets concerned but then
she explains why (Danny is his friend, so of course David is concerned)
David relaxes and agrees, he is just a concerned friend. He starts to
take advantage of what she is offering when Monique buzzes. Nina is on
her way in!

Frantically, David shoo's her out the back door and throws printout
over the desk top. Nina walks in to tell David she just came back
from Cricket's. She's got the brooch! David is suddenly very happy.
He starts to day dream. Pictures of David smashing the brooch and
throwing it into a furnace float by, with one final shot of a bunch
of dynamite sitting on something and David running away as the fuse
burns down. David is grinning like a fool. Nina asks him what he's
daydreaming about. He brushes her off and they head home. At the door
they stand there and can't get in. The lock is jammed. Just as Nina
says she will go next door to use the phone, the door opens. Nina
makes some remark about having the brooch and they enter the apartment.

Vivian is watching through the peephole. Now she knows the brooch is
back in the apartment across the hall.

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 12, 1990, 3:35:31 PM10/12/90
Good scene, when Jack causes Nikki to confront her feelings about
Victor and appeals to her to save their marriage. Made me really
LIKE this Jack so much. He was in pain and hurting, he was in love
and loving, he was in touch and sharing. (Not Terry Lester's sort
of scene at all.) A very, very good job, I think.

Nancy

Michael

Oct 13, 1990, 5:02:46 PM10/13/90
Ah, but there's the rub.

You see, I have some recollection of Bergman's Cliff Warner during the
height of the Cliff & Nina romance days.

I hate to tell you this folks, but I think Bergman is playing Cliff again.

My fiance put it best when she said that this Jack is likable and sensitive
and loving in ways that are not at all like the Jack she remembers Terry as
being

examples: Jack says "I wish, oh how I wish, you could love me as much
as I love you"

Terry Lester might have said [Southern Drawl on]

"Yeah, sweetheart, ya gotta know how much you mean to me.
We're hot together, you know hon! Let's give this thing
a chance"

[Southern Drawl off]

another example. Jack says "Do you know how jealous I am? That you have
that wonderful little boy"

Terry Lester might have said [Southern Drawl on]

"Look, sugar, I want a kid. I'm feelin' those paternal
urges, you know. Listen, Doll, I wanna have a kid
just like you and the Black Knight"

[Southern Drawl off]

I think I've made the point: the old Jack was appealing because of his slick
superficiality. While he was known to show anger, the most appealing part
of the old Jack was the humour that always glistened behind those eyes. Jack
was mocking the world and its conventions.

The new Jack is VERY rapidly being transformed into a noble man, with deep deep
feelings for family (remember how the old Jack threatened Ashley that he
would reveal that her natural father was Brent Davis if Ash didn't turn over
the vice-chairmanship to him!). He is Cliff Warner. Remember that Jack
and Nikki were ostensibly brought together because Jackie wanted revenge
on Victor. The writers seem to have forgotten all about that--now they're
making like his love runs deep.

I don't mind the new Jack, but it's taken me a long while to realize that this
is a completely different man (not just actor, but character).

Mike at Penn State

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 15, 1990, 10:00:41 AM10/15/90
In article <90286.1...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Michael <M...@psuvm.psu.edu> writes:
> In article <26099.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:
>>
>>Good scene, when Jack causes Nikki to confront her feelings about
>>Victor and appeals to her to save their marriage. Made me really
>>LIKE this Jack so much. He was in pain and hurting, he was in love
>>and loving, he was in touch and sharing. (Not Terry Lester's sort
>>of scene at all.) A very, very good job, I think.
>>
>>Nancy
>>

> Ah, but there's the rub.
>
> You see, I have some recollection of Bergman's Cliff Warner during the
> height of the Cliff & Nina romance days. ....material deleted...

> I hate to tell you this folks, but I think Bergman is playing Cliff again.
> The new Jack is VERY rapidly being transformed into a noble man, with deep
> feelings for family (remember how the old Jack threatened Ashley that he
> would reveal that her natural father was Brent Davis if Ash didn't turn over
> the vice-chairmanship to him!). He is Cliff Warner. Remember that Jack
> and Nikki were ostensibly brought together because Jackie wanted revenge
> on Victor. The writers seem to have forgotten all about that--now they're
> making like his love runs deep.
>
> I don't mind the new Jack, but it's taken me a long while to realize that this
> is a completely different man (not just actor, but character).
>
> Mike at Penn State

Well!!! Obviously, Mike, you've been following this development for a long
time. This was a VERY interesting posting for me to read. If I were in
your place, as a viewer, I would be struggling with this sort of character
maladjustment in a big way (more so that what I've been experiencing). You
have stated my thoughts too in your last sentence. We do know that certain
adjustments are made to characters as new actors enter previously-conceived
character roles, but in the Terry Lester-to-Peter-Bergman shift, it would
seem to have been a much larger wrenching of character than we're normally
used to (at least I think that's my perception). So far, I've seen very
little of a sense of humor at all in the new Jack, unless it's the nasty
biting kind. This Jack has no sense at all of the funny side of life, and
I think that's the quality I liked most from Terry, and miss the most.

Thanks so much for the background info.

Nancy

Michael

Oct 19, 1990, 12:26:28 AM10/19/90
Having recently diatribed (is this a word? you get the point) about Rex
the slime Sterling, I turn to consider the utter foolishness of his son.

I have always thought Danny a bit of a milquetoast fool--harmless enough,
but so unlike any real rock star that I paid him little attention (Imagine
my surprise when he really got a hit on MTV!!)

Why do they always have these characters lapse into noble stupidity? I mean,
Danny feels his reputation is besmirched, so he wants to cast away the woman
he claims to love for the sake of a noble purpose. Is the low ebb of your
life really the time to discard the one you love?

What a fool? His father is slime, and he is stupid.

Let's marry Gina into a prominent Genoa City family, and get rid of the
rest of the Romalottis.

Mike

PS Of course, all of this is relative--I guess, if I step outside the
storyline for a second, I CAN understand why someone would use any excuse
possible to tell Cricket to GO!

I still think if Cricket and Silva get hooked up, we'll finally see a
more adult and likable Ms. Blair.

Cathleen Reiher

Oct 24, 1990, 11:55:20 AM10/24/90
If nothing else is predictable, Michael, it is almost certain that any given
storyline on The Young and the Restless will "take 5 years to unfold". It's
almost always too slow (except for Cassandra, these days, she's as fast as an
Indy car).

I know that a lot of people like the new, sensitive Jack. His new-found
sensitivity and love for Nikki doesn't bother me, but Nikki doesn't love him and
regardless of how he feels about her now, he just used her to try to get Victor
to give Jabot back to the Abbotts. I wouldn't be sorry if she did dump him.
He's as manipulative as Victor ever was. I wish they would bring Jim Grainger
back and have Nikki leave Jack for him. I think they could be happy together.
Victor's never going to change where the women he loves are concerned. He
wants them all for himself.

I think Nikki is being so weak. She was quite strong after the mess with
her divorce from Victor and she was really putting her life in order when Jack
came up with his scheme for revenge against Victor. Now she just mopes around
and agonizes about not loving Jack and won't do anything about it. In a way,
she's like Victor. She wants all her men, too.

I don't know if Victor and Ashley's marriage will work, but I believe he truly
does love her. He also truly loves Nikki. It is quite a problem, maybe the
three of them and the children should move out to Arizona or Utah where they
have that settlement of Mormons who still practice bigamy. It might work.

I think everyone should be glad that I'm not a writer for soap operas because
they'd be so dull with everyone being nice and everyone being happy. Maybe
like the Stepford Wives without the tension.

Cathleen.

Cathleen Reiher.
INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
Santa Monica, California
cath...@ism.isc.com {randvax,uunet}!ism!cathleen

MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Oct 24, 1990, 4:45:01 PM10/24/90
In article <90296.2...@psuvm.psu.edu>, Michael <M...@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>Has Nikki lost her baby? I fear it is so, and I'm not exactly sure what it
>means. Here are my guesses:
>
>- Victor will return home from business, and find out that he suspected the
>wrong motives for Nikki storming out of the Colonnade.
>- Guilt will ensue, and Victor will begin to realize that his marriage to
>Ashley has not resolved his feelings for Nikki
>- Nikki will realize she is no longer trapped in her marriage, but will feel
>even sadder that she lost Victor
>- Jack will be broken hearted as Nikki dumps him; Ashley will teeter on the
>brink of insanity
>- the Victor/Jack feud will intensify

I think you've got a strong possibility here, Mike. Here's a few others:

* Nicki will receive much support from Jack following her miscarriage,
which will lead her, at this very vulnerable time in her life, to resolve
to give her marraige a fighting chance.

* Nicki will receive much support from VICTOR following her miscarriage,
and, as Jack wallows in self-pity over the baby he wanted so much, is drawn
to Victor even more, even as he finds himself irresistibly drawn to her (He's
always been a sucker for a heart-broken, beautiful woman).

* Ashley will undergo yet another period of depression regarding her abortion
upon hearing of Nicki's misfortune. She will immediately begin pressuring
Victor to have children of their own. Victor, anxious to provide his new bride
with instant gratification, will attempt to buy Skyler from the Evans'. :-)

Mark at PSU

Michael

Oct 24, 1990, 11:56:37 PM10/24/90
In article <90297.164...@psuvm.psu.edu>, <MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>* Ashley will undergo yet another period of depression regarding her abortion
>upon hearing of Nicki's misfortune. She will immediately begin pressuring
>Victor to have children of their own. Victor, anxious to provide his new
>bride
>with instant gratification, will attempt to buy Skyler from the Evans'. :-)
>
>Mark at PSU

Ah, but don't forget the kicker:

Ashley, desperate to have a child, was harmed by her previous abortion.
She is difficult to conceive. Further, Victor's fertility is finally on
the wane, a decade after he had his vasectomy (which didn't take).

Victor is also not willing, at his age, to start a family all over again.

As Ashley teeters on the edge of emotional instability, a repulsed Victor
(he hates weakness) gravitates toward Nikki.

OR

As Brad and Cassie become more involved, Victor is again attracted to
the widow Rawlins. Victor starts to steal another gal from Brad!

AND

Skylar? Evans? Surely these aren't characters on Y&R ? :-)

After ALL that nonsense about Nan, is anyone else appalled that they have
reduced Carol to a bit player and eliminated her family? Why not pursue
these characters?

Mike at Penn State

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 26, 1990, 9:20:45 AM10/26/90
I was pretty disturbed by the Olivia-Nathan-in-linen-closet scene. And
the thing that disturbed me was exactly pinpointed by Olivia's comment
to Nathan, "I have a professional image to uphold." Darned right you
do, honey, and it's harder for you because you are new, female, pretty,
and black. You've got the whole system trying to figure out ways to
demonstrate why you _can't_ do a professional job. You don't need that
kind of fooling around with a playboy in the broom closet, Olivia. If
some guy did that to me while I was doing my job here, no matter how I
felt about him, we'd be toe-to-toe and I don't mean dancing! I'd give
him the knee and he'd see stars for pulling such no-brain nonsense as
that one. What's more, if Olivia is some sort of role-model for young
black viewers, they don't need to see it either.

Damn, that made me mad!

Nancy (mouse@ukanvax)

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 26, 1990, 12:29:14 PM10/26/90
I just read in _TV Guide_ that Terry Lester has suddenly quit _Santa
Barbara_, but no more information was given except for career purposes.
Wonder what's up.

Nancy
mouse@ukanvax

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 26, 1990, 12:41:41 PM10/26/90
Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...

OKAY, here it is...

"While most soaps are staying home for November 'sweeps,' YOUNG AND
RESTLESS is soaking up the sun in Hawaii. The show has already taped a
breathtaking and highly romantic location sequence there, involving
eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
and Diane. The Hawaiian sequence will air for eight episodes,
beginning Thursday, November 15, and will extend past
Thanksgiving. Part of the Hawaiian escapade will be built
around a memorable event in the life of one Y&R couple."

Nancy
mouse@ukanvax

Carol Dove

Oct 26, 1990, 3:14:08 PM10/26/90
From article <26336.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:

> Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...

> eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
> and Diane. The Hawaiian sequence will air for eight episodes,
>
> Nancy
> mouse@ukanvax

Who is Diane???

carol
do...@cs.clemson.edu

glynda davis

Oct 26, 1990, 5:26:33 PM10/26/90
*In article <26332.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
*>I was pretty disturbed by the Olivia-Nathan-in-linen-closet scene. And
*>the thing that disturbed me was exactly pinpointed by Olivia's comment
*>to Nathan, "I have a professional image to uphold." Darned right you
*>do, honey, and it's harder for you because you are new, female, pretty,
*>and black. You've got the whole system trying to figure out ways to
*>demonstrate why you _can't_ do a professional job. You don't need that
*>kind of fooling around with a playboy in the broom closet, Olivia. If
*>some guy did that to me while I was doing my job here, no matter how I
*>felt about him, we'd be toe-to-toe and I don't mean dancing! I'd give
*>him the knee and he'd see stars for pulling such no-brain nonsense as
*>that one. What's more, if Olivia is some sort of role-model for young
*>black viewers, they don't need to see it either.
*>
*>Damn, that made me mad!
*>
*>Nancy (mouse@ukanvax)
*
Yes! This will be the wedge that drives the two of them apart. And
Dru will get her man! Nathan WILL tire of Olivia's prim and proper
image (I'm tired of it already).
Gigi@Purdue

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 26, 1990, 5:42:20 PM10/26/90
I think Diane is David's secretary/girlfriend at the office, the one
that he keeps romancing, but that Nina just keeps missing when she
comes to the office.
Nancy

Michael

Oct 26, 1990, 10:05:32 PM10/26/90
In article <26332.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu says:

>I was pretty disturbed by the Olivia-Nathan-in-linen-closet scene. And
>the thing that disturbed me was exactly pinpointed by Olivia's comment
>to Nathan, "I have a professional image to uphold." Darned right you
>do, honey, and it's harder for you because you are new, female, pretty,
>and black. You've got the whole system trying to figure out ways to
>demonstrate why you _can't_ do a professional job. You don't need that...

Ah, Nancy!

The perennial conflict between reality and romance on a continuing daily
drama.

You have hit the REALITY of the issue squarely on the head. In the real world,
this was not professional conduct, and it was downright compromising for
Olivia, with so many societal strikes against her.

In the soap world of Genoa City, however, there are no strikes against Olivia.
It is the ACCIDENTALLY racist outcome of well-meaning writers. Let me
explain. The writers/producers are trying to address fan/network/advertiser
complaints (this is true for all soaps) that the proportion of the non-white
population is not adequately represented on daytime. So they throw in some
black characters. They make little effort to integrate them into the broader
or key storylines, and intermarriage will not happen (nor will a long-term
stable relationship for a gay couple). In an attempt to address a broader
constituency, they are guilty of tokenism, plain and simple. Then, in a
Cosbyish mode, they try to present POSITIVE role models. This is a partial
function of the dearth of black characters. If you had MANY black characters,
you could have some who are more good, and some who are more bad (just like
real life). When you have only three or four, if you put a bad character
in it looks like you are painting the whole group with one brush.
In the context of more characters, one bad character would represent
one bad among many good (and would help to go a long way toward breaking
stereotypes). As it is, though, everyone is so good and worthwhile, and
everyone advances soley on their merits (if their black and on Y&R--wanna
bet Dru will face few obstacles in her rise to ballet star--quite unlike
real life for talented black ballerina's who face the prejudice that
prima ballerinas should be porcelain skinned--another story). Olivia will
likely never face a teaspoon of prejudice as long as she is on the show.
So Nathan does nothing to jeopardize her. In the real world, some smarmy
orderly who saw them would probably have muttered under his breath
"Those people are over-sexed." We will never see this, and thus lose
an opportunity to confront stereotypes.

I was distressed by the broom closet scene for another reason. Nathan
YANKED Olivia into the closet against her will--without asking
permission. Once he had her there, he made it difficult for her to leave.
Of course, this was all in "fun"--romantic game playing. The truth of the
matter is that this show has already dealt with, in painful detail,
forcible intercourse. No man should initiate any part of the romantic
process in such a forceful way. Nathan didn't just put his hands over
his lady's eyes and say "guess who." He YANKED her into the broom closet.
For a show that is trying so hard to present positive and professional
black images, they don't seem to care about presenting positive and
professional MALE images, across races.

I will enumerate briefly: VICTOR, the controlling God. JACK, the man
who uses women like pawns. BRAD, the broken hearted stud who can't
look at Traci, and hops into bed with Cassandra. PAUL, the messed up
boy wonder who pats himself on the back for "putting Lauren's marriage
back together", but doesn't see how he hurts his secretary day after
day; REX, the scum who seems incapable of sincere feeling for any woman;
NATHAN, who yanks women in broom closets, and does not seek other living
arrangements for Dru, even though he knows how she feels. Let's
not forget TINY, who is the ultimate pig male.

Mike ate Penn State

Christopher A. Wood

Oct 27, 1990, 11:30:06 AM10/27/90

In article <90299.2...@psuvm.psu.edu>, M...@psuvm.psu.edu (Michael) says:

> Mike ate Penn State

Hmmm. Do you normally have such a large appetite? And, more importantly, did
you have any problems digesting it?

-- Chris

Michael

Oct 27, 1990, 5:33:38 PM10/27/90
Well, Chris, it certainly appears that I bit off more than I can chew, here.
I've always said that Penn State had so much more to offer than I can
possibly digest. I'm consumed with my studies. I've had my fill of
university.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic. My sig. file will be altered.

Mike, a Penn State University graduate student.

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 29, 1990, 3:09:10 PM10/29/90

Hey! LOOK AT ALL THOSE Y&R POSTINGS!

KEEP IT UP. FLOOD THE NET!

--
* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
| N. L. Sliker TP: "DAMN good coffee!" |

MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Oct 29, 1990, 5:30:05 PM10/29/90
In article <26342.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Nancy

>I think Diane is David's secretary/girlfriend at the office, the one
>that he keeps romancing, but that Nina just keeps missing when she
>comes to the office.

Thank you! I couldn't for the life of me figure out who Diane was!
Everything makes sense now, except for one small detail: what would
*Scott* be doing there, especially by himself? Is he going to need a
vacation from Lauren *and* Sheila when they all find out the latter's
pregnant? Is he going for some convenient work related thing? What's
the deal here, anyway? God, I hate those things (previews). Oh well.
Maybe Cricket and Danny will fall into a volcano while they're there.
Then at least something good will have come out of the trip.

Mark at PSU

Mark A. Lindsay

Oct 29, 1990, 10:26:57 PM10/29/90
MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

|In article <26342.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Nancy
|>
|>I think Diane is David's secretary/girlfriend at the office, the one
|>that he keeps romancing, but that Nina just keeps missing when she
|>comes to the office.

|Thank you! I couldn't for the life of me figure out who Diane was!
|Everything makes sense now, except for one small detail: what would
|*Scott* be doing there, especially by himself? Is he going to need a

Obviously to watch his l'il sister get married.
Aww....
Lauren couldn't make it I guess.

RD Francis

Oct 29, 1990, 2:58:17 PM10/29/90
In article <26336.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...

>[who will be in Hawaii during the Nov. sweeps?]

>eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
>and Diane.

OK, we have Danny, Cricket, Cricket's best friend, C's bf's husband,
Cricket's half brother, Danny's father, Leanna (friend of Rex), and
Diane ("friend" of David).

Any doubt as to what's going to be happening here? Only question is,
where's Jim and Gina? Or even John, as Cricket's step-dad? I mean,
who's going to throw^H^H^H^H^Hgive her away, Rex?
--
R David Francis fra...@cis.ohio-state.edu

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 29, 1990, 2:14:56 PM10/29/90

>From: b...@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Blanche R. Steppe)

Hi, Blanche. It's nice to hear from you.

>Why do you think Olivia is a "role-model for young black viewers"?

I think all television characters have the potential for being a role
model for all the viewers who watch the programming, with the greatest
chance of role-modeling to occur in instances where the greatest possi-
bility for associational self-imaging exist.

During the AIDS story with Cricket's mother, for example, there were
several characters who were either good or bad role-models. One woman
shunned the AIDS victim and verbally abused her (i.e., a bad role
model), while others sought to know more about it, were supportive and
caring (i.e., a good role model).

>Do you get your role models from soap operas?

Sure, sometimes. Everyone does, to the extent that soap opera characters
are often stereotypes built from common characteristics found in people
all around us. Again, to use the AIDS example, I found it very helpful
to watch the characters handling what was obviously a timely subject.
I gave me some ideas about how I might conduct myself in such a situation.

>Also, who gave you permission to decide what young black viewers need
>to see?

What I originally said was, "..._IF_ she is a role-model...."
At the time I made the posting, I hadn't really decided on it.
In any case, I'm obviously NOT in the decision-making process of Y&R,
so I don't need anyone's permission to have an opinion on the subject.

>Who are the role models on Y&R for young white viewers?

Danny Romalotti, Cricket Blair, Gina romalotti, Nina Chancellor-Kimball,
little Victoria Newman, to name a few who have been active recently.

>What do you find so offensive about a couple talking and kissing twice
>in a closet. This scene has occurred so many times on soaps.

What I didn't like about it was the thoughtless and careless way Nathan
treated Olivia, his disregard for her effort to build her professional
life, his uncaring attitude about how she seemed to object to the situ-
ation. He wasn't concerned about her concerns at all. When she objected
to what was going on, he didn't listen to her at all, and she herself
didn't assert herself enough to make her objections clear to him.

>Maybe since they are black, you thought they would go all the way!

Not at all. I think that would be equally tasteless and insensitive.

>Would you prefer that they kiss in the hall while everyone watches?

I would not mind that, providing that both characters, and in this case
I'm especially concerned about Olivia, decide that's what they want
to do and they derive mutual satisfaction from it, and no other character
objects.

>This bothers me - when couples kiss in front of others. I prefer that
>they do it in private. The closet scene was not distasteful in any way.

I think we disagree about this issue, but it's good we can talk about it.

>African Americans are shown on soap operas with lives of their
>own and someone objects. We kiss, love and display affection too!

Absolutely. The human condition is shared by all.

>I don't understand your objection to the closet scene.

I felt that Nathan was insensitive to Olivia's concerns in the context
of her professional setting. She did not seem to think this was a good
time to be displaying affection, but he would not listen to her. She
tried (half-seriously) to get him to stop, but he would not.

>Sheila tricked Scott into bed, was that okay for her "professional image"?

Absolutely not. However, in the case of the character Sheila, she has
been established as a trickster, someone not to be trusted, so I expect
her to behave badly. Also, the bedroom scene occurred in Scott's private
quarters, not in the linen closet of one of the main corridors where
normal medical business is conducted. There was the element of privacy
understood to exist in that scene.

>Maybe you think nurses are not as professional as doctors.

I think all humans are capable of both professional and unprofessional
conduct, though I would hope for the former rather than the latter.

>Olivia is not a first. There have been AA doctors on soaps since the
>sixties. The former Amy on Y&R play a doctor on another soap. Her
>storyline is much juicier than Olivia's.

Sorry, I just don't understand this reference in the context of the
discussion.

>Also, I have seen no evidence that the "whole system" is out to get
>Olivia or that Nathan is a "playboy".

I think that the world of Y&R often treats its women characters as children,
denying them the power to ACT, to determine what happens to them, forcing
them to react to actions foisted on them by others, often men. In effect,
Y&R is often treated as "a man's world," and "a woman's place." Whenever
I get that feeling, it disturbs me very much because it perpetuates the
the attitude that women don't have the will or ability to control their
own world. And this general Y&R world view is really what I had in mind
when I referred to "the whole system."

In calling Nathan a "playboy" what I meant was that his attitude was not
genuinely caring about Olivia, and I did not like that. He was behaving
like a light-weight playboy, toying with her feelings.

glynda davis

Oct 29, 1990, 4:21:15 PM10/29/90
In article <85...@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> fra...@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
*>In article <26336.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
*>>Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...
*>
*>>[who will be in Hawaii during the Nov. sweeps?]
*>>eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
*>>and Diane.

Can't Bill Bell afford to send his beloved Lauralee to Hawaii on
his own dime?? I guess that this way, he guarantees playmates for
her.

Yeesh!
Gigi@Purdue

Carol Dove

Oct 29, 1990, 3:46:36 PM10/29/90
>>Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...
>
>>[who will be in Hawaii during the Nov. sweeps?]
>>eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
>>and Diane.
> OK, we have Danny, Cricket, Cricket's best friend, C's bf's husband,
> Cricket's half brother, Danny's father, Leanna (friend of Rex), and
> Diane ("friend" of David).
> Any doubt as to what's going to be happening here? Only question is,
> where's Jim and Gina? Or even John, as Cricket's step-dad? I mean,
> who's going to throw^H^H^H^H^Hgive her away, Rex?
> --
> R David Francis fra...@cis.ohio-state.edu

If we believe that this is Cricket and Danny's wedding then why is Diane
(the "friend" of David) going to be there? I don't see the connection.
Even if it weren't going to the their wedding I can't think of any
reason that Diane would be with these people. I'm not sure that I
believe it's for their wedding because Danny will not get married until
he is clear and if he were REALLY clear then David would not be there,
he'd be in prison! Oh well, guess we'll have to wait and see!

carol
do...@cs.clemson.edu

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 30, 1990, 11:06:49 AM10/30/90
(Darn computer gulped my last file...)

Aha! Traci is coming to work for Jabot, just like I recently
suggested...

I swear these writers DO read the net.

MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Oct 29, 1990, 6:32:18 PM10/29/90
In article <85...@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, fra...@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD

Francis) says:

>In article <26336.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
>writes:
>>Spoiler info from _Soap Opera Digest_, Oct. 30, 1990...
>
>>[who will be in Hawaii during the Nov. sweeps?]
>>eight key characters: Danny, Cricket, Nina, David, Rex, Leanna, Scott,
>>and Diane.
>
>OK, we have Danny, Cricket, Cricket's best friend, C's bf's husband,
>Cricket's half brother, Danny's father, Leanna (friend of Rex), and
>Diane ("friend" of David).
>
>R David Francis fra...@cis.ohio-state.edu

Thank you, David! While I realized that everyone would probably be in
Hawaii for Danny and Cricket's wedding (whoppee.), I totally forgot that
Scott and Cricket were brother and sister! So *that's* what he's doing
there! It's too bad I didn't get your post before I sent my last one.
One question still remains, however. Why is he there alone? I can only
assume that this does not bode well for Scott and Lauren: The Couple.
Well, at least he didn't take Shiela!

Mark at PSU

Michael

Oct 30, 1990, 9:42:44 PM10/30/90
In article <90302.173...@psuvm.psu.edu>, <MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>Maybe Cricket and Danny will fall into a volcano while they're there.
>Then at least something good will have come out of the trip.

Hey Mark!

A new poster to the group, and already you hate Cricket and Danny!!

That sure didn't take long!

Actually, I must confess (at peril of being widely flamed) that I am enjoying
both Danny and Cricket more. In all this conflict, it has been made
incredibly clear that Danny cannot act, and that is unfortunately. Within
the context of a goody-two-shoes boy, though, it is believable that Danny
wouldn't even know how to act bitter or vengeful.

I have found myself being proud of Cricket's response and trust in this
whole thing, and she seems to be a more mature character. This is good.
I am actually in favour of this couple getting together, because they have
been written as so suited for one another (temperamentally), and because
I think they really could anchor the show with one stable couple.

On the other hand, for excitement value, seeing Cricket captivated by the
much more interesting and demanding Silva would be quite fascinating. Remember
that Cricket has dated, sor of, Danny since she was 16, and hasn't had much
opportunity to sample broadly from the world of men (except for her brief
bouncing from Phillip to Chase, to Danny, to Derek).

Is anyone else mellowing toward the Roach??

Mike at Penn State

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 30, 1990, 11:05:15 AM10/30/90

Linda A. DeBula

Oct 30, 1990, 1:30:16 PM10/30/90
In article <90292.0...@psuvm.psu.edu> M...@psuvm.psu.edu (Michael) writes:

>Let's marry Gina into a prominent Genoa City family, and get rid of the
>rest of the Romalottis.

I heard John Abbot is available.

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Oct 31, 1990, 3:14:31 PM10/31/90
I'm still missing Brittany, folks.

Then I was asking myself WHY I missed her so much.

And one of the reasons I came up with was the fact that she is a
gorgeous BRUNETTE, in a flock of female blonds.

I looked at the cast listing, and found the following:

BLONDS: Cassandra, Cricket, Nina, Catherine, Leanna, Ashley, Nikki,
Gina
STRAWBERRY-BLOND: Traci
REDHEAD: Lauren
CHESTNUT: Lynne, Carol, Jill
BRUNETTE: Salena, Olivia, Dru, Vivian, Esther, Mamie

I guess the blonds _are_ having more fun.

Nancy

Mark A. Lindsay

Oct 31, 1990, 6:40:12 PM10/31/90
mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *
>| N. L. Sliker TP: "DAMN good coffee!" |
>* School of Engineering ST:TNG: "Make it so!" *
>| University of Kansas Y&R: "NOW you can call me ruthless!" |
>* mouse@ukanvax AMBER: "Let's take a little walk." *
>| (913) 864-3692 |
>* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - *

The Y&R quote is the best! I remember that seen vivdly! That was the
quintessential Jack/Victor scene. I remember it like yesterday:

J: How much did you get [reference to Jabot stock going public]??
V: I got enough -- Jack Abbott.
{Victor steps up to him}
V: NOW you can call me Ruthless, you despicable BASTARD!

Beautiful!!! I wish I had recorded that day and kept it for posterity!

mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

Nov 1, 1990, 8:17:47 AM11/1/90
Well, it looks like Jill has finally paid Leanna back for dumping a
drink over her head in a restaurant last year by tipping a luscious,
sticky, hot fudge sundae all over Leanna's soft, beautiful, long
blond tresses. Leanna, of course, plays it coo

Quote of the day: LEANNA: "Hot fudge sundae! That's always been my
favorite!"

Kevin Fredricksen

Nov 4, 1990, 3:34:31 PM11/4/90
In article <26422.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I'm still missing Brittany, folks.
>
>Then I was asking myself WHY I missed her so much.
>
>And one of the reasons I came up with was the fact that she is a
>gorgeous BRUNETTE, in a flock of female blonds.
>
>I looked at the cast listing, and found the following:
>
>BLONDS: Cassandra, Cricket, Nina, Catherine, Leanna, Ashley, Nikki,
> Gina
>STRAWBERRY-BLOND: Traci
>REDHEAD: Lauren
>CHESTNUT: Lynne, Carol, Jill
>BRUNETTE: Salena, Olivia, Dru, Vivian, Esther, Mamie

Just two observations here. I remember
when Cassandra first was cast to be on
Y&R...there was an article about her
in SOD. It mentioned the fact that the
producers made her darken her hair
because they felt they had too many blonds
on the show.

Also, it's hard to classify Lauren-since
she changes her hair color so much!!
(But then anyone remember the old Jill!?)
\

**Teena**

--
fre...@techbook.COM ...!{tektronix!nosun,uunet}techbook!fredrik
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257

Alvin the Chipmunk Sylvain

Nov 7, 1990, 7:03:53 PM11/7/90
In article <26372.2...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> mo...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Hey! LOOK AT ALL THOSE Y&R POSTINGS!
>
> KEEP IT UP. FLOOD THE NET!

OK, how's this?

Yeah, we'll get our own newsgroup yet!
--
asyl...@felix.UUCP (Alvin "the Chipmunk" Sylvain)
========================= Opinions are Mine, Typos belong to /usr/ucb/vi

JTH...@ducvax.auburn.edu

Nov 9, 1990, 8:35:00 AM11/9/90
I've been a Y&R watcher since Olden Days (when Jill was a manicurist).
More recently, I've become a lurker turned possible poster (albeit w/ errors).

I was just wondering if anyone had considered this possible storyline...

Nikki's aching back is not a prelude to drug/alcohol abuse but is a
bonafide injury, NERVE DAMAGE! And who in all the world is researching
nerve reconstruction but the dashing & romantically confused DR. SCOTT!

I believe Nikki has shown an interest in doctors in the recent past (please
correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe Dr. S. will rescue Nikki from a life of
suffering through his miracle cure. She might even become paralyzed!

Her history as a sickly character is well established. Could young Dr. S.
win her heart as well? Maybe he needs an "older" woman to bring him out
of his romantic ambivalence. Certainly, Lauren & Sheila are unable to
sway his affections.

Could all this happen in Hawaii? I believe they will both be there.

Anyway, just my wild conjectures...

P.S. Why are the writers wasting a wonderful character with a history, Brock,
by having him stand around as a prop for his mother? GIVE BROCK A LIFE!

Michael

Nov 11, 1990, 11:07:43 AM11/11/90
In article <901109143...@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, JTH...@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU
says:

>I've been a Y&R watcher since Olden Days (when Jill was a manicurist).
>More recently, I've become a lurker turned possible poster (albeit w/ errors).

Wonderful. Sometimes, I feel like the only historian around here--and that
makes me feel unreasonably old!

Welcome to the net. We welcome all new posters here!

>I was just wondering if anyone had considered this possible storyline...
>
>Nikki's aching back is not a prelude to drug/alcohol abuse but is a
>bonafide injury, NERVE DAMAGE! And who in all the world is researching
>nerve reconstruction but the dashing & romantically confused DR. SCOTT!

I don't think it would ever happen--Scott is embroiled in a triangle, and
Nikki in a bizarre polygon--still, it would be a delightful SURPRISE
if they both shucked their romantic complications for one another.

Older woman younger man. It could play well. Also, it could bring in a back-
plot (It turns out the man Nikki really loved was Jim Grainger. She lost
him, but now turns to his son, as an icon of what she lost. Nikki, meanwhile
reminds Scott of an older and wiser Cricket (I know its a stretch)--and he
finally has a chance to consummate his one true love.

They'll never do it, though.

>P.S. Why are the writers wasting a wonderful character with a history, Brock,
>by having him stand around as a prop for his mother? GIVE BROCK A LIFE!

AGREED. The man who loved Laurie Brooks, married (as the preacher AND husband)
Jill Foster Abbott, had a torrid affair with Leslie Brooks, tried to convince
Casey Reed to overcome her incest and make love to him, reformed Nikki Reed
from a nymphomaniac street urchin with VD into a lovely woman, conducted the
court case that brought Victor and Julia Newman to town..Brock was NEVER a
central character, but he does have a full rich history. This is the third
or fourth time the writers have brought him back, but they let him dangle
every time. What a waste. Do you realize the man has been on the show
for the better part of a year already!

Mike AT Penn State

MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu

Nov 12, 1990, 11:42:18 AM11/12/90
>>P.S. Why are the writers wasting a wonderful character with a history,
>Brock,
>>by having him stand around as a prop for his mother? GIVE BROCK A LIFE!
>
>AGREED. The man who loved Laurie Brooks, married (as the preacher AND
>husband)
>Jill Foster Abbott, had a torrid affair with Leslie Brooks, tried to convince
>Casey Reed to overcome her incest and make love to him, reformed Nikki Reed
>from a nymphomaniac street urchin with VD into a lovely woman, conducted the
>court case that brought Victor and Julia Newman to town..Brock was NEVER a
>central character, but he does have a full rich history. This is the third
>or fourth time the writers have brought him back, but they let him dangle
>every time. What a waste. Do you realize the man has been on the show
>for the better part of a year already!

WHAT? Brock was married to Jill???? When? And involved with Casey? And,
wait, I thought VICTOR reformed Nikki! I realize that since I've only been
watching Y&R for about 5 years, on and off, that I'll have missed a lot
of history, but it's VERY hard for me to believe that that walking piece of
furniture could have done all that! He sure sounds like he was a central
character to me! Mike, anybody...please fill me in on Brock!!!!! And while
your at it, would anybody be interested in doing a series of mini-history
lessons for us Johnny-come-latelies? There must be hundreds of relationships
and schemes and problems that have been conveniently forgotten by the citizens
of Genoa City! Only you long-time viewers can help!

>Mike AT Penn State

Mark at the same place, only much more confused

Michael

Nov 12, 1990, 2:25:36 PM11/12/90
In article <90316.114...@psuvm.psu.edu>, <MJT...@psuvm.psu.edu> says:

>WHAT? Brock was married to Jill???? When? And involved with Casey? And,
>wait, I thought VICTOR reformed Nikki! I realize that since I've only been
>watching Y&R for about 5 years, on and off, that I'll have missed a lot
>of history, but it's VERY hard for me to believe that that walking piece of
>furniture could have done all that! He sure sounds like he was a central
>character to me! Mike, anybody...please fill me in on Brock!!!!!

Brock Reynolds returned to town in 1974 on uncertain terms with his mother.
Years before, after his father Mr. Reynolds died and left him a fortune,
Brock had been a selfish and senseless young man who squandered his fortune
on wine, women and song. When he bottomed out, in the commune and spirtual
era of the late 60s early 70s, he found religion, and began to build a life
based on spiritual service to others. Christianity became an important
part of her personality.

His mother did not trust his transformation at first, but soon she came to
rely upon Brock for social support.

Brock did have his eye on Jill Foster, when she was still an employee of his
mama's. When Jill's lover Phillip (Kay's husband) died, and Jill ultimately
inherited nothing, Brock married Jill to give her baby a name. Brock
performed the service himself, and the union was ill-fated, although Brock
and Jill parted as mutually supportive friends.

About this time Leslie Brooks acquired a restaurant, and renamed it the
Allegro. Brock became manager of the facility. It turned out that Brock
and Leslie's sister (Lorie) had been lovers in Europe, and shared a common
bond--from Brock's wild days.

It was in his capacity as restauranteur that Brock became everyone's father
confessor. He never had much of a story, but he dispensed caring advice
to one and all.

Brock spent much of his time trying to help Katherine through her alcoholism,
and her subsequent loneliness. I do not remember if Brock was supportive as
Kay drifted toward a lesbian affair with an overweight waitress at the
Allegro (Joanne). Of course, Kay and Joanne did not consummate their
attraction, but Brock kept trying to convince Kay to do charitable acts
and trust in God.

When Kay almost died (taking a bullet that was meant for her ex-mobster
husband Derek Thurston), her life was saved by Dr. Casey Reed. Kay
was very grateful to Casey. At the same time, street urchin Nikki Reed
showed up looking for work at the Allegro. Nikki was nymphomaniac who
had dropped out of high school, and she was Casey's sister. Nikki
was eventually treated for her V.D., and started to date the resident who
treated her. She went back to high school.

Nikki and Casey were haunted, however. Nikki was promiscous, and Casey
could not allow a man to touch her. Casey remembered, in nightmarish
pieces, that she had been raped as a little girl by her father, Nick Reed
(played by Quinn Redeker, who now plays Rex Sterling). Casey remembered
just in time, as Nick was trying to rape Nikki. Nikki killed Nick in self-
defense, and began a relationship (that culminated in an ill-fated marriage)
with Jill's brother, Greg Foster. Nikki entered into a romantic triangle
with Greg and Paul Williams (with whom she had shared venereal disease).

Brock helped Casey and Nikki get through all of this, and tried to begin
a relationship with Casey Reed. Casey was grateful, but could not respond
to Brock. It finally took Lucas Prentiss (Leslie Brooks' former husband)
to help bring Casey out of her sexual shell.

Brock threw his energies into becoming a lawyer, and soon entered a joint
practice with Jill's brother Greg. Brock devoted a number of his hours
to _pro bono_ public defense.

About this time, Leslie was free from both her relationships with Lance and
Lucas Prentiss. She gravitated toward Brock, the manager of her restaurant,
and the two began a torrid affair. The relationship did not last, however,
because leslie still had strong feelings for Lance.

Brock had to defend a poor youngster who had gone for a joyride in a millionair
e's Mercedes. The millionaire's wife had left the keys in the car while
shopping, and the teenager had absconded with it. Brock tried to convince
the millionaire to be lenient, but he was unrelenting. That millionaire was
Victor Newman, and his wife was Julia Newman. When Brock saw he was going to
get nowhere with Victor, he began to pay visits to Julia, trying to convince
her to drop the charges. Julia wanted to, but she was afraid of her husband,
since he beat her. (Yes, Victor was a wife-beater--anyone remember??)

Brock and Julia began to fall in love, but Brock could not accept his status
as a homewrecker. He took off for Tibet, to study in a monastery.

Julia, of course, began an affair with Michael Scott the photographer after
finding out that Victor had had an illegitimate child with his secretary,
Eve Howard. This led to Victor imprisoning Michael in a basement dungeon (and
feeding him dead rats, along with other torture), and later pursuing Julia
with a cat'o'nine'tails (whip) [causing her to lose her baby, which Victor
thought was really Michael Scott's].

Brock returned to town to witness the wedding of Victor and Nikki.

He returned again some time later, and actually stayed in town for a while.
He had no story, although he did start to date Casey Reed once or twice.
Casey was simultaneously interested in Matthew Miller (Victor's brother),
and Brock seemed to remember Matthew's face from some shady spy/mob deal in
a foreign country. This was never developed.

Brock's next return home was to rescue his mother from the clutches of
Morey Amsterdam.

Now, as you have commented, he is a piece of furniture. What a waste.

Michael at Penn State