GL: Abby's Surgery & Real Life/Irony??

Cletus Stripling

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
This may have already been discussed but does anyone else find it ironic
that P&G chose to incorporate Abby's real life heath situation into the
storyline of Guiding Light, but they fired Michael Zaslow rather than
incorporating his ALS into Roger's character?

Just thought this was interesting

Cory

May 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/28/99
In article <19990528231156...@ng-by1.aol.com>,
pgh...@aol.com says...
> Since the result of ALS is death, and Roger is a character GL wants to keep,
> how could they have written it in and be able to keep the character ?

Where is Roger now? Is he in Springfield? How is ANYONE going
to be able to hire another Roger Thorpe and write him in to Springfield's
canvas again? The fans would have a field day, and I'd be right there at
the front of the pack leading the protest, no matter who did the
rehiring. That role was Zas' role from beginning to end. Roger
should've died in the end.

Heck, even now Roger is as good as dead anyway because MADD shipped Roger
off to God knows where (I actually forget), so why *not* just kill off
the character? I don't think any sane person will want that role in the
future. Even Dennis Parlato said it was EXTREMELY awkward for him
playing the part, once he knew the whole story behind Zas' ugly
dismissal, and that he wouldn't have taken the part, in the end, if he
HAD known about the behind the scenes BS that MADD instigated.

EVERYONE knows the story now (well, okay, a lot of people do, anyway), so
who would touch that part?? Almost everyone in the biz knows full well
that it would start a PR nightmare for the actor who took the part, not
to mention any future PTB that try to recast Roger.

--- Cory

--
May is National Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Awareness Month.
Hopefully Michael Zaslow's angel, along with the angels of others who've

*REMOVE THE 'PURRS' TO REPLY*

Judi Sohn

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
In article <7imqkk$2cr$1...@cronkite.cc.uga.edu>, "Cletus Stripling"
<cstr...@arches.uga.edu> wrote:

Apples and oranges. To begin with, they didn't know that Michael Zaslow
had ALS when he left. Also, Amy Ecklund could have continued to play Abby
as a hearing or deaf person. Michael Zaslow would have had to play a
disabled person, or nothing.

--
Judi Sohn - jud...@home.com
<http://members.home.net/juderi/home.html>

Pgh Tyke

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99

Captn Me

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
In article <MPG.11b91b07d...@news.earthlink.net>,
onyx3...@xoommail.com (Cory) writes:

>Where is Roger now? Is he in Springfield?

He and Amanda Spaulding went to (I think) California. I forget what it was
they were supposed to be doing there. Some sort of business, I believe. It
was all of a sudden and tied into Fletcher leaving Holly. Holly was letting
Roger get to her again.

Pgh Tyke

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Look, I also don't think there will ever be another Roger, like the last one,
but I do think they will re-cast him and in time we will get used to the new
one. Of course we will all pick apart every thing he does, or don't do,
that the old Roger did. The shoes will be hard to fill.

KMB

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
Judi Sohn wrote:

> Also, Amy Ecklund could have continued to play Abby
> as a hearing or deaf person.

The Amy we've been seeing for the past couple of weeks can hear. The
shows are taped about a month ahead of time and the article about Amy's
surgery in TV Guide was like three weeks ago. I think I may have
noticed a slight difference in her voice not too long ago. The writers
could not have scheduled Abby's surgery until they knew that Amy's
surgery was going to work. So the scenes when Amy very first started
talking about the implant were probably some of the first that she could
hear.

Judi Sohn

May 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/30/99
In article <375023...@nospam.com>, KMB <kba...@nospam.com> wrote:

>Judi Sohn wrote:
>
>> Also, Amy Ecklund could have continued to play Abby
>> as a hearing or deaf person.
>
>The Amy we've been seeing for the past couple of weeks can hear. The
>shows are taped about a month ahead of time and the article about Amy's
>surgery in TV Guide was like three weeks ago.

Yes, she's also not wearing hearing aids anymore, last I saw. And she
doesn't look as lost when someone is speaking behind her and somehow Abby
responds. <g>

--
Judi Sohn
jud...@home.com

SHARON MAY

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
Roger and Amanda went to run the Spalding Camus in CA.
SBMAY

EGlas35107

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
My son, age 3, had the same implant surgery that Amy Ecklund had. He's having
a tougher time, he was born pretty completely deaf, but he can hear with it.
Late deafened adults I've spoken with, who are implanted as well, have told me
that everything sounds the same to them, as it did before they lost their
hearing. Science and technology are amazing.

Aviva

MissM...@webtv.net

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99

>In article
><7imqkk$2cr$1...@cronkite.cc.uga.edu>,
>"Cletus Stripling"
><cstr...@arches.uga.edu> wrote:

>This may have already been discussed >but
>does anyone else find it ironic that P&G
>chose to incorporate Abby's real life >heath
>situation into the storyline of Guiding
>Light, but they fired Michael Zaslow >rather
>than incorporating his ALS into Roger's
>character?
>Just thought this was interesting

>Apples and oranges. To begin with, they
>didn't know that Michael Zaslow had ALS

>when he left. Also, Amy Ecklund could

>have continued to play Abby as a hearing

>or deaf person. Michael Zaslow would
>have had to play a disabled person, or
>nothing.
>--
>Judi Sohn - jud...@home.com
><http://members.home.net/juderi/home.h

>ml>

You may also recall the decision to include Charita Bauer's (Bert Bauer)
leg amputation into her storyline shortly before she died.

As much as it pains me to know, in hindsight, how Mr. Zaslow was
treated, I truly do not believe that it was malicious AT FIRST on the
part of TPTB. Later, who knows? I wasn't privy to any of the
negotiations. However, Mr. Zaslow certainly could have, and did on
another soap, play a disabled character. Had TPTB incorporated the ALS
into the Roger Thorpe storyline, sure, it would have eventually meant
the end of Roger Thorpe, sadly. Again, in hindsight,though, isn't that
exactly what happened?

K - who has never accepted this "new" Alan Spaulding and therefore,
could never accept any "new" Roger Thorpe

GulfRain

May 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/31/99
>Look, I also don't think there will ever be another Roger, like the last one,
>but I do think they will re-cast him and in time we will get used to the new
>one.

For me, there will never be another Roger. At first I thought I'd have liked
the character to die, too--but now I like the idea that, though MZ is gone,
Roger is still out there somewhere, causing chaos and having a good time. I
can't imagine a Roger re-cast--I think the show might find itself in serious
trouble with its longtime, core fans (like me!) jumping ship!

Lou (Mary Louise) Silva

Jun 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/2/99
Maybe they learned their lesson from the MZ fan reaction????
Message has been deleted

William Edwards

Jul 26, 2022, 11:15:37 AM7/26/22
I mailed Amy Ecklund a letter explaining how I was blind and wore contacts growing up and when I was in fifth grade I got special glasses that could help me see. On Sunday, May 30, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Judi Sohn wrote: