AMC: Jamaica Thin

u3...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96
to jros...@mail.med.cornell.edu

All right. Where is he? The guy from those commercials
who says, "We've replaced the fine coffee they usually serve
here at Lutece with Folgers Crystals..." I think he's gone to
work for TPTB at AMC, blithely announcing to all the world,
"We've replaced the sharp dialogue, involving plotting, and
strong performances we *used* to serve with prefabricated,
freeze-dried drivel. Can *you* tell the difference?"

Well, yes, I can, as a matter of fact, and it's leaving a rather
sour taste in my mouth. Mass InSantity is not my idea of
entertainment. Nor is watching poor Leslie Uggams struggle
mightily with one of the most one-dimensional, poorly-written
roles in some time. Mateo and Hayley, as written, are almost
unwatchable. And no amount of spark and professionalism
from Marcy Walker and David Canary can convince me that the
faux-mance is anything but a Stupid Plot Device, miles beneath
both of their characters.

Anything at all approaching momentum has been sacrificed at the
altar of Noah and Julia, much like the dread, best-unspoken
J_____a sojourn. Remember? When the Tad/Dixie/Liza blowup
was undercut by the profoundly moronic island antics of our
li'l lovebirds?

I've come to an unavoidable conclusion... a big story for Noah
and Julia means trouble for everyone. If I knew more about
astrology, I would liken them to some troublesome planet drifting
into the AMC constellation, giving everyone in town the suckiest
of horoscopes (Janice, help me out here).

Can someone promise me this will pass... soon? Marianna?

David "If it weren't for Janet, I don't know what I'd do" Welsh

This article was posted to Usenet via the Posting Service at Deja News:
http://www.dejanews.com/ [Search, Post, and Read Usenet News]

Tante Joan

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:31:06 -0600, u3...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu wrote:
,snip.

>Well, yes, I can, as a matter of fact, and it's leaving a rather
>sour taste in my mouth. Mass InSantity is not my idea of
>entertainment. Nor is watching poor Leslie Uggams struggle
>mightily with one of the most one-dimensional, poorly-written
>roles in some time. Mateo and Hayley, as written, are almost
>unwatchable. And no amount of spark and professionalism
>from Marcy Walker and David Canary can convince me that the
>faux-mance is anything but a Stupid Plot Device, miles beneath
>both of their characters.

Oh, David, you are not alone. I cannot believe this is the same soap
we were all congratulating each other over only 6 weeks ago. It's
exactly as you say, TPTB have sent the writers and directors off on a
Carnival Cruise and brought in the Folger's Crystals to pinch hit.
Now we are the dopes (er, dupes?) who've been forced to drink their
swill. Did they really think that OLTL's experiment in dumbing down a
thoroughbred was a success that could be replicated on AMC? I don't
think so, and I put my VCR where my mouth was. I stopped watching
OLTL for the first time in 26 years. Do I have to do the same now
(and what does my vote of no-confidence mean to them? Nada!)?

Tante (I'm a BABE!) Joan
CEO, SPERM, The Society for the Prevention of Enmity toward Repentant
Moms; SMURF, Keeper of Trevor's Empty Box o' Clues; FAC CatRuth Martin,
AFAC Skye, AFAC Tad, Tad's Hangdog Expression; ILJC, Janet's Motherly
Concern; AFAC Santa Maria, Maria's Uncanny Brooke Impression; AFAC I Santi

Carolyn Adams

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <329462ac...@library.airnews.net>, jros...@mail.med.cornell.edu says...

>On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 (David Welsh) wrote:.

>> Mass InSantity is not my idea of
>>entertainment. Nor is watching poor Leslie Uggams struggle
>>mightily with one of the most one-dimensional, poorly-written
>>roles in some time. Mateo and Hayley, as written, are almost
>>unwatchable. And no amount of spark and professionalism
>>from Marcy Walker and David Canary can convince me that the
>>faux-mance is anything but a Stupid Plot Device, miles beneath
>>both of their characters.

Joan responded:

>Oh, David, you are not alone. I cannot believe this is the same soap

>we were all congratulating each other over only 6 weeks ago. (snip)

No, David, you aren't alone. A lot of us are on the same page, and we
have to skip it in order to still care enough to keep reading at all. Frankly,
that's how I watch soap opera. I ff what I don't care for. Right now,
between the Santi and Bobby and Duhnita Santos and the wreck of
Laura's storyline and this stupid wierd polygon with Brooke and Adam
and Tad and Gloria and Liza and Pierce, I don't have a lot to keep
me watching. Except, as you said, David, whatever Janet is up to.

> Did they really think that OLTL's experiment in dumbing down a
>thoroughbred was a success that could be replicated on AMC? I don't
>think so, and I put my VCR where my mouth was. I stopped watching
>OLTL for the first time in 26 years. Do I have to do the same now
>(and what does my vote of no-confidence mean to them? Nada!)?

Joan, I stopped watching OLTL quite some time ago, despite it having a
strong cast including Erika Slezak, one of my favorite actresses, ever,
any place, any time. I agree, my vote of no confidence means squat to
them. But I ain't an island. (Jamaica?) I know there are plenty of long
term viewers who are ticked off at OLTL, and have been for a long time.
It is reflected in their numbers. I may feel like I've been crying in the
wilderness all this time, but their ratings have steadily eroded in that
same time period. It doesn't give me satisfaction to see them ruin
their show. But it's been a long time since I cared enough about it to
call it my show.

AMC is going through a bad period right now. Considering it's
sweeps month, that's not a good sign. Why they want me to watch
Hector suffer and die, and feel bad about that (when they've written
him as a small minded, retro, papa - is - all, women are dirt kind of
bigot who gives his religion a bad name) is way beyond me. So
I'll keep fastforwarding until they give me something I want to watch.

I am certain if they had fired Robin Mattson I wouldn't still be
taping this show. Despite all the other good actors they have in
their cast. Most of whom aren't getting much to do, right now.

--Carolyn
Still Parental Rights Advocate for ILJC

Sylvia RoseBob

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:31:06 -0600, u3...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu wrote:

>I've come to an unavoidable conclusion... a big story for Noah
>and Julia means trouble for everyone. If I knew more about
>astrology, I would liken them to some troublesome planet drifting
>into the AMC constellation, giving everyone in town the suckiest
>of horoscopes (Janice, help me out here).
>
>Can someone promise me this will pass... soon? Marianna?

It will pass.....soon! I promise! I can't tell you more, because of
the Spoiler-Protection Clause in my contract, but "trust me".

Sylvia RoseBob "of course, I can't promise what TPTB have lined up
next will be an improvement either..."
Big Dratsa: "We drink, we dish, we watch the soaps."

Carolyn Zaccaria

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <5723cq$1...@news.enter.net> ca...@enter.net (Carolyn Adams) writes:

>I am certain if they had fired Robin Mattson I wouldn't still be
>taping this show. Despite all the other good actors they have in
>their cast. Most of whom aren't getting much to do, right now.

You said a mouthful, Carolyn! :) And I thought I was *the only one*;
I've given it days and days and days and months to improve. Your right
about the cast, they're tremendous, it's just the storylines they're given
are too redundant, same story, different characters. They need to do
something *different* and I'm sorry, there's got to be some talented
writers out there somewhere (probably HERE!) to spice it up, even a little,
would be a major improvement. I didn't bother taping today. There's nothing
to tape *for*! I have better things to do then sit around and watch a very
boring show. I'm sorry for Papa Santos, that's all, nothing major, I wasn't
attached to him. The show is LAME!

Give Jill Larson something to DO!
Give Susan Lucci something to DO!
Give David Canary something to DO
Give any number of the quality actors some quality airtime!

And I won't say it again! Get with it All My Children!

Caz "glad to have that off my chest, I feel better already!"

Rob Hartmann

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

> All right. Where is he? The guy from those commercials
> who says, "We've replaced the fine coffee they usually serve
> here at Lutece with Folgers Crystals..." I think he's gone to
> work for TPTB at AMC, blithely announcing to all the world,
> "We've replaced the sharp dialogue, involving plotting, and
> strong performances we *used* to serve with prefabricated,
> freeze-dried drivel. Can *you* tell the difference?"

David, you're *so* right... it seems like time has stopped, while the same
vignettes repeat over and over again ...

Leslie Uggams cries big lip-trembly boo-hoos
Julia drifts in her semi-comatose state from room to room
Noah rants at whoever is standing next to him
Jackson tosses his head
Leslie Uggams tries to look noble, then gives up and cries
Anita, in the semi-comatose state she picked up from Julia, drifts from
room to room
Grady tries to look menacing
Leslie Uggams wails unconvincingly, then cries for good measure

ENOUGH ALREADY!

What happened to the great momentum the show had going recently? The
Adam/Liza story has stretched from plausible ("let's make Brooke/Tad
jealous") to COME ON! ("hey, let's take our little scheme all the way down
the altar!"); Kinder dematerializes, bringing up with him some dirt from
Erica's garden and a huge writhing mass of Loose Ends; and the whole town
is suddenly struck with a case of the Whinies.

Meanwhile, in the Escher-like Pine Valley Hospital, Leslie Uggams cries
big lip-trembly boo-hoos ...

> David "If it weren't for Janet, I don't know what I'd do" Welsh

You're not kidding!

Rob "I Thought I'd Taped 'Voyager' And They Had Encountered Yet Another
Temporal Anomaly!" Hartmann

Kathleen Austin

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

>> Why they want me to watch
>>Hector suffer and die, and feel bad about that (when they've written
>>him as a small minded, retro, papa - is - all, women are dirt kind of
>>bigot who gives his religion a bad name) is way beyond me. So<<I'll keep fastforwarding until they give me something I want to watch.

I don't watch much with the Santi in it much less any scene with
Hector and have been watching approximately 10 minutes of the program
without FF through it. Most of those scenes include Janet. Maybe the
other two ABC soaps are suffering because TPTB are more interested in
getting a good following for the new GH2 and keeping GF ratings up.
Wonder what kind of drivel they are planning to show when OLTL and AMC
die because of the bad judgement reguarding the other ABC soaps. I have
been watching AMC since the first year it aired and am almost at my
quitting point. I keep waiting for it to get better again just like it
usually does.

Kaylea

Janice Pearson

Nov 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/23/96

u3...@wvnvm.wvnet.edu wrote:

: I've come to an unavoidable conclusion... a big story for Noah
: and Julia means trouble for everyone. If I knew more about
: astrology, I would liken them to some troublesome planet drifting
: into the AMC constellation, giving everyone in town the suckiest
: of horoscopes (Janice, help me out here).

I shall check what rules Bryn Mawr. That would be it, right?

--
Janice (They don't call me Calamity for nothing!)
FAC Birth in Pine Valley; CEO PAKISA; BOBBette; ILJC The Plump Girl Inside