AMC: FAC FAQ (longish)

Ashley Lambert-Maberly

Nov 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/7/95
Time again for the FAC FAQ ... and for anyone who has tried to e-mail me about
FACs in the past week or so, if I haven't responded to you, please e-mail me
again--I've been having a temperamental time with my computer, and I might
have missed you.

----------

The FAC FAQ addresses the following issues:

1. What is a FAC? (it's not Flaws of Adam Chandler ... but it could be)

2. What responsibility does this entail? (virtually none)

3. Who can join? (surprise ... everyone who wants to, can!)

4. How do I begin? (just tell me first, and go for it)

5. What should I post? (it's up to you!)

6. What is the proper FAC netiquette? (essential reading for flame avoiders)

7. One last thought ...

And then the FAC LIST!

So, to begin:

1. What is a FAC?

FAC stands for Favourite All-My-Children Character, but a FAC doesn't have to
be a character, and it doesn't have to be your favourite (or we'd have had 15
Ericas, 36 Janets, and 292 Dixies.)

The concept originated at rec.arts.disney, where posters sign themselves
FDC, which I thought meant Favourite Disney Character (it meant Future Disney
Cabinet--extending from Presidents, Vice-Presidents, all the way down to
bigheaded walkaround characters.)

2. What responsibility does this entail?

A FAC owner should defend their FAC if they find them being denounced,
and perhaps try to delve into the psyche of the character. (e.g. someone
posts "I think Livia became a judge just to get the heck away from Tom,"
Then FAC Livia could respond "No way--Livia adores Tom, but her career is
just as important as her marriage.") As FAC Kendall, I (and the other
Kendall Defenders) made an effort to defend her at all costs!

Also, when factual questions are asked of a character (eg. "Wasn't
Hayley married once?") the FAC owner, by now intimately acquainted with
all details (ha!) of their character, could respond to the challenging
task (eg. "Yeah, she was married to Dixie's dead brother Will ... before
he died, that is. Soaps only go so far.)

3. Who can join?

Everybody who wants to join is welcome to. Many lurkers have requested
the chance to be characters that are perhaps unseen (Palmer's cook)
or long-departed (Devon's husband Wally).

I'm ruthless about only one FAC per person, and vice versa. That said, I
strongly encourage creative sharing of aspects of characters. We've got
old and new Nuts, real & Faux Nats, we even have a MirrorNut. We have
FAC body parts: chests, a kidney, love-handles, some hair, and a smile.

Non-character FACs are becoming popular--FAC Trevor's Flip Phone and FAC
Porcelain Leopard, for example.

4. How do I begin?

Check the list to see what's already taken and decide which FAC you'd like to
be. Once you've picked then e-mail your request to ash...@oldadm.ubc.ca and I
will add you to the official list.

It's that easy!

Also, most people might post a "coming out" message so that others know
they've joined ... "AMC: FAC: Introducing FAC Thighmaster's Thighmaster" would
do the trick, with a short post to follow.

5. What should I post?

This is up to you. Some people like talking "in character," responding to
other posts, or hypothesizing about future events:

William Smith writes: If I were Janet I'd sue that plastic surgeon ...
sure, she's got a new face, but did he have to give her those new moles
and wrinkles too? Old Nat never looked like that!

FAC Janet responds: How dare you compare me to my sister! Dr. Jaffe
told me I should listen to people like you. I'm perfect, do you hear me?
Perfect? And I like my face, and I've earned every wrinkle! Sure, maybe
when you have everything handed to you on a silver platter like Natalie did
you don't worry so much, but me, I've had to fight for every shred and
scrap of dignity. And, buster, I *asked* for the mole. Get your facts
straight!

Many people don't speak in character at all, but comment as appropriate
when somebody brings up their character in a post. For example:

Jane Doe writes: When did Ruth get that awful new haircut?

Louise Doe responds: As FAC Ruth, I made a point of remembering that
Ruth's new haircut showed up right after she and Joe went to the
Truck-o-saurus derby in Sea City. I remember thinking it looked like
she'd had it cut by the firey-jaws-of-death it looked so choppy and
uneven! I guess TPTB were trying to modernize her.

6. What is the proper FAC nettiquette?

The two most important pieces of nettiquette are these:

A) Include FAC in headers for purely imaginary conversations, and
B) Remember that none of this is real!

If you post a FAC conversation entirely in character, put a FAC
in the header (eg. AMC: FAC: Opal explodes!) A FAC header functions
much the way TAN does for keeping out those who don't care for it.

Or just toggle your FAC on and off as needed, by making your point in the
body of your post, and adding a FAC p.s. in or around your signature.

You can also assume a temporary FAC at a moment's notice without telling
me, for example:

Did anyone else notice that wobbling tree at the left of the set? There
was no breeze at all anywhere else, besides, trunks don't wobble!

Billy Bishop
(bi...@imaginary.com)

[FAC Wobbly Tree on:] This is my moment! I know the set director told me
just to stand here and look stiff and not to upstage the actors, but it
could be my big chance! Hey, look at me! I'm shaking my leaves, look!
Look, why don'tcha! I'm shaking my trunk! I'm dancing! I'm a dancing
tree! La, la la la, la la la! Come in for a close-up!

7. One last thought ...

Once a year, as I think of it, I'll post everybody on my list
and ensure they're still interested in owning a FAC. The characters of
those who aren't bothering anymore I'll put up for grabs in another
posting, so for those of you who don't want to be FAC Dimitri-When-He's-
Brooding-In-His-Study, but insist upon being FAC Dimitri, might hold
out some hope!

If you have any suggestions, additions, corrections, please let me know.

Ashley "FAC Marianna Starkweather" Lambert-Maberly
(ash...@oldadm.ubc.ca)

THE FAC LIST

YAH...@mail.prodigy.com Sue "FAC 1990 20th Anniversary Theme Song"
sdon...@tamu.edu Kirsten "FAC Adam" Abrahamsen
mfer...@shoppersdrugmart.caa Michele "FAC Alec" Ferazzutti
m...@hpindabq.cup.hp.com May "FAC An Li" Lee
maco...@ucdavis.edu Marco "FAC Anita" Cordova
ab...@hpwrc712.mayfield.hp.com Abby "FAC Angelique" Grossman
ma...@mizar.usc.edu Mary "FAC Anne" Froehlig
a...@vcd.hp.com A.J. "FAC Anton" Schricker
hend...@wharton.upenn.edu Kenneth "FAC Arlene" Henderson
es...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu Frances "FAC Barbara" Yasprica
ksu...@prairienet.org Katie "FAC Bianca" Sutton
ryn...@hsc.usc.edu Monique "FAC Bill & Alice Hart" Rynders
d...@ih4sh.ih.att.com Dave "FAC Billy the Barkeep" Vollman
ddag...@ix.netcom.com Lorel "FAC Blue Purse" Stephens
lha...@edge.ercnet.com Lyndon "FAC Bobby Martin" Haston
gru...@niagara.com Ian "FAC Bobby Warner" Rumsby
cmcp...@d.umn.edu Granma "FAC Bob Grossman"
2067...@msu.edu Darren "FAC Bonkers" Meahl
jim...@pegasus.rutgers.edu Diana "FAC Brian" Fernanadez
zacc...@mtl.mit.edu Carolyn "FAC Brooke" Zaccaria
lda...@unlinfo.unl.edu Lee "FAC Buddy" Davis
gc...@ep.ieee.org Gina "FAC Cecily" Colacchio
kri...@dartmouth.edu Kristy "FAC Charlie's Magic Computer" Patterson
dw...@ix.netcom.com David "FAC Charlie's Premature Grey Hair" Llewellyn
bru...@jov.acs.unt.edu Bruce "FAC Cobra" Leslie
ahu...@freenet.vcu.edu Ann "FAC Crypt" Hunter
ma...@eagle.csl.uiuc.edu Mary "FAC Daisy" Wu
rja...@iadfw.net Mary "FAC Daughters of Fine Lineage"
sbi...@husc.harvard.edu Sara "FAC Del" B.
Anta...@aol.com Amy "FAC Dimitri" Shapiro
tgar...@netcom.com T. "FAC Dimitri's Twitch" Gardner
k...@SSD.intel.com Karin "FAC Dixie" Dietterich
cm...@midway.uchicago.edu Christine "FAC Dixie's Kidney" Malcom
the...@bga.com Kris "FAC Dottie" Wylder
Wendy_Fi...@tvo.org Wendy "FAC Edmund's Chest" Figueiredo
jo...@gsbsun.uchicago.edu Maggie "FAC Edna" Newman
GLE...@pdnis.paradyne.com Mary Ellen "FAC Ellen" Levine
Joan...@aol.com Tante Joan "FAC Elyse Flynn
mell...@jeremy.Berkeley.EDU Melissa "FAC Erica" DeMille
buri...@ix.netcom.com Nicole "FAC Erica in a Catfight" Burilla
j_pa...@ix.netcom.com Julie "FAC Erica's Painkillers" Palmer
li...@netcom.com Steve "FAC Gazebo" Lilly
mitch...@iquest.net Mitch "FAC Gloria"
Susan.B...@Colorado.EDU Susan "FAC Grace" Brumbaugh
mbli...@facstaff.wisc.edu Martha "FAC Harold" Lindstrom
Pavl...@sbmm1.ucsb.edu James "FAC Hector" Pavlovich
sbar...@dxi.nih.gov Sheila "FAC Hillary" Barrett
a...@mellon.org Ande "FAC Home Pregnancy Test"
stan...@mcnc.org Shonnese "FAC Insomnia Cafe" Stanback
lkat...@sprint.uccs.edu Lisa "FAC Jackson" Atwood
U13...@UICUM.UIC.EDU Karen "FAC Jamal" Hauseman
chiq...@camelot.bradley.edu Stephanie "FAC Janet" Buffman
kbo...@aircom.com Katherine "FAC Janet's Inter-Galactic Transponder" Boylan
k...@u.washington.edu Karen "FAC Janet's Mole" Jonscher
nor...@access3.digex.net Vikki "FAC Jenny"
vte...@cisco.com Veronica "FAC Jesse" Tebbe
tmil...@bssbbs.com Tuck "FAC Dr. Joe" Miller
fli...@noc.hookup.net Cindy "FAC Julia" Flint
c...@chevron.com Christy "FAC Kelly" Thierstein
m2w...@acs.ryerson.ca Margaret "FAC Kelsey" W.
sig...@gsusgi2.Gsu.EDU Mandi "FAC Kids of AMC Promo" Albright
wen...@netrix.com Doreen "FAC Dr. Kinder" Wenzel
al...@unx.sas.com Alex "FAC Lanie" Bost
bt...@freenet.carleton.ca Millie "FAC Laura" Savard
Eme...@aol.com Jennifer "FAC Laura's Hair"
wulf...@cps.msu.edu Marilyn "FAC Laurel" Wulfekuhler
gib...@ll.mit.edu Margaret "FAC Lily" Gibbs
sand...@ssf-sys.DHL.COM Sue "FAC Livia" Andreason
di...@interlog.com Sabine "FAC Liza" Diva-Chick
sig...@gsusgi2.Gsu.EDU Mandi "FAC Louie" Albright
lir...@infi.net Lydia "FAC Lydia Flores" Ramos
NP...@american.edu Nancy "FAC Maria" Pace
ak...@aol.com Liz "FAC Maria's Chest" Dell'Orfano
stcl...@tdl.com Cynthia "FAC Maria in a Catfight" Ste. Claire
ash...@oldadm.ubc.ca Ashley "FAC Marianna Starkweather" Lambert-Maberly
sugi...@crl.com Signe "FAC Marion" Sugiyama
kjs...@ucdavis.edu Kathryn "FAC Mateo" Skhal
Jay...@aol.com Jason "FAC Michael"
Lemon...@aol.com LMechelle "FAC Mimi" Johnson
cl...@shell.portal.com Clare "FAC MirrorNut" Chu
ca...@dorsai.dorsai.org Nancy "FAC Mona" Calzaretta
jpl...@pacbell.com Jo Anne "FAC Mona's Pearl Ring" Lowe
Mat.Tr...@forsythe.stanford.edu Matt "FAC Myrtle" Trujillo
s...@world.std.com Sue "FAC Tweety Not-Nat" Hildreth
ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA Lori "FAC Real Nat" McDowell
par...@colorado.edu Randall "FAC Noah" Partin
WEB...@bcvms.bc.edu Jennifer "FAC Noah's Chest" Weber
da...@ix8.ix.netcom.com Vicky "FAC Noah's GED" Imparato
nancy...@jpl.nasa.gov Nancy "FAC Noah's Hair" Perry
lkat...@sprint.uccs.edu Lisa "FAC Noah's Smile" Atwood
Debor...@aol.com Deborah "FAC Nola" Dakin
fra...@rahul.net Shelly "FAC Olga" Brisbin
vicki.l...@cibadiag.com Vicki "FAC Opal" Lannigan
has...@NIEHS.NIH.GOVJR "FAC Opal's Fashion Consultant" Haskett
Li...@tdl.com Lea "FAC Opal's Jewelery" Tuley
b1...@ix.netcom.com Billy "FAC Original Theme"
ax...@freenet.buffalo.edu Mark "FAC Palmer" Przybyszewski
ad...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA Carla "FAC Peggy" Shore
jbo...@mail.utexas.edu Jane "FAC Petra" Bomberger
b...@primenet.com Beverly "FAC Pierce" Donaldson
al...@NiteBeats.com Kelli "FAC Pierce's Cabin"
lind1llnl.gov Greg "FAC Pierce's Shirt" Lind
cathy...@gtri.gatech.edu Cathy "FAC Pierce's Hunting Knife" Sands
lk...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu Lori "FAC Phoebe" Karn
smi...@max.tiac.net Donna "FAC Pillow Baby" Shepherd
eros...@pipeline.com Elaine "FAC Pine Valley" Rostker
tate...@tatertot.com Tom "FAC Pine Valley Hospital" Lemos
sl...@uoguelph.ca Susan "FAC Pine Valley University" Lait
lfre...@violet.berkeley.edu Louise "FAC Porcelain Leopard" Freeman
Michael_Tate@brown.e Michael "FAC Pregnant Pause" Tate
SMB...@psuvm.psu.edu Stacey "FAC Purdified Chicken" Bronstein
LOU...@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU Kathie "FAC Rosalie" Meyer
gry...@quapaw.astate.edu Joanna "FAC Ruth" Grymes
sco...@ssec.wisc.edu Scott "FAC Scott" Lindstrom
k...@coeadm.engr.wisc.edu Karen "FAC Sean" Walsh
i00...@disch3.disc.dla.mil Felicia "FAC Sheila" Ciaudelli
LilC...@aol.com Leslie "FAC Skye"
fel...@ISL1.RI.CMU.EDU Carol "FAC Mr U." Boshears
fgol...@disc.dla.mil Francine "FAC Stuart" Goldberg
kjac...@umassk12.ucs.umass.edu Karen "FAC Tad" Jackson
umor...@mcl.mcl.ucsb.edu Kenjiro "FAC Amnesia Tad" Moro
jc...@minerva.cis.yale.edu Carroll "FAC Tad's Universal Machine" Hightower
kdu...@s-cwis.unomaha.edu Griffin "FAC Tad's Sarcastic Sense of Humour" Dunlop
she...@ihlpf.att.com Shelly "FAC Taylor" Sulski
kmo...@eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu Kathy "FAC Taylor's Faux Fetus" Munroe
cabe...@teleport.com "FAC Taylor's Tattoo"
dhec...@falcon.cc.ukans.edu Diane "FAC Ted" Heckert
jfr...@benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu Judi "FAC Tempo" Franz
je...@snowdon.tivoli.com Jeff "FAC Tim" Abbott
rar...@barbados.cc.odu.edu Ronald "FAC Tinkerbell" Ross
217...@msu.edu Jacque "FAC Tom" Shoppell
wgi...@aol.com Margie "FAC TPTB" Case
da...@cleveland.Freenet.Edu Richard "FAC Trevor" Kitchen
nyts...@netcom.com Lela (Nytie) "FAC Trevor's Flip Phone" McKenna
scu...@fsc.edu Shannon "FAC Trevor's Love Handles" Cullen
cm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu Tina "FAC Trevor's Neck Thing" Matta
kir...@intercom.com Jeff "FAC Wade" Kirk
dina...@csd.uwm.edu Dina "FAC Walter Heines" Kaye
d...@babylon.montreal.qc.ca Debi "FAC Will" De Santis
ta...@wbb.com Lynne "FAC Will's Beard" Provencher
bmw...@ix.netcom.com Lisa "FAC Willow Lake" Wilson
cpo...@nuku.nosc.mil Christine "FAC Wilma" Powell
spgr...@chaph.usc.edu Sean "FAC Wobblycam" Griffin

Ashley Lambert-Maberly
(ash...@oldadm.ubc.ca)
FAC Marianna Starkweather
Keeper of the FAC List, and RATSA Reading Group Moderator