gwbasic memory problem, HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noam

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
=======================================

hi !!

Please help !!!

I got pentium-200 MMX with 32 MB Memory !!!

But when i'm programing in old gw-basic i can use onlly very small part
of the 32 MB.

After i put some parameters & Arrays in my program i get an Error
message of Not anough Memory !!!

How can i use more memmory for my program's parameters ???????

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Noam from the north ;-)

Roger M. Wilcox

Jul 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/17/98
On Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:36:22 +0300, Noam <ngma...@netvision.net.il>
wrote:

>Please help !!!
>
>I got pentium-200 MMX with 32 MB Memory !!!
>
>But when i'm programing in old gw-basic i can use onlly very small part
>of the 32 MB.
>
>After i put some parameters & Arrays in my program i get an Error
>message of Not anough Memory !!!
>
>How can i use more memmory for my program's parameters ???????

Congratulations on posting this message to rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc,
the one newsgroup where you're SURE to get help with computer
programming problems!

Sadly, GWBASIC is a real-mode MS-DOS program. Unless they were
written with hooks into the expanded/extended memory APIs,
real-mode programs can't access more than 640 K of RAM. Ever.
Furthermore, GWBASIC has an additional limitation: it can't
use more than one segment (64K) of memory for BASIC programs.

I would recommend you switch to QuickBASIC if you want to
run you old GWBASIC programs in a larger memory space. You can
use the QBASIC utility that comes bundled with MS-DOS version 6.
I would NOT recommend switching to Visual BASIC. Visual BASIC
is evil. It has the Touch of Satan [TM]. Use a real programming
language like C++ instead.

timur...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2020, 10:46:59 PM6/27/20
of course you can allocate and use multiple segments in gwbasic but you have to manage them yourself.

weary flake

Feb 3, 2022, 4:36:00 PM2/3/22
On 6/27/20 7:46 PM, timur...@gmail.com wrote:
> of course you can allocate and use multiple segments in gwbasic but you have to manage them yourself.

Was that a Joel or Mike episode?