Musings on killfiles. Warning- godawful ASCII art.

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
scArA wrote:

> Maybe I'm giving this matter too much thought. Maybe I should just
> repeat to myself, "it's just a killfile, I should really just relax."

What I find most disturbing is the fact that you just
used the word "just" 3 times is your last sentence.

This is probably just an indication that my medication
just needs to be ad*just*ed.

--thor (OK, now I'm just annoying myself . . .)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I see no need up in the sky for more torture chambers and Bingo games.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jess Nevins

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00

scArA wrote:

> (Note: Use a fixed-width newsreader)
>
> Ahem.
>
> An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.
>
> > *Plonk*: the sound of someone falling to the bottom of
> >your kill-file. Generally posted as notification that you are
> >kill-filing
> >someone.
>
> Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
> already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
> *plonk* would be feasable:

Well, yeah, but think of a killfile as a very, very deep well in
which you're tossing the person or persons you no longer wish
to read.

It's a *deep* well. Hundreds of feet down. *Way* down. So far
down Arne Saknussem couldn't find them.

jess

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor

Jan 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/4/00
Jess Nevins wrote:

So your killfile drops people into Atlantis with Kathy
Ireland?

--thor (My killfile has an acid pit at the bottom. No more messy
cleanup in the morning.)

scArA

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
(Note: Use a fixed-width newsreader)

Ahem.

An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.

> *Plonk*: the sound of someone falling to the bottom of
>your kill-file. Generally posted as notification that you are
>kill-filing
>someone.

Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
*plonk* would be feasable:

<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
*plonk*

However, what if your killfile only has two people?

<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
<xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
*clank?*

In an alternate viewpoint, a killfile could be a metal-walled dungeon
into which plonk-ees are dropped.

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| \|/ |
| *plonk* |
------------------------------

In this case, the only place where a *plonk* is not acceptable is if
the victim falls on another one.

| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| \|/ |
| *thud* |
| *OUCH* |
|o o ooo o oo o ooo oo|
------------------------------

Maybe I'm giving this matter too much thought. Maybe I should just
repeat to myself, "it's just a killfile, I should really just relax."

Yet, somehow, I cannot.

--J(s)P, o/~ like I'm psyyyyyyyyyyyychologically disturbed! ~\o
.... .- .-.. ..-. -....- -.. . .-. .- -. --. . -.. / -- . -.. .. .-
SLIGHTLY AMEND THE SALAMANDER TO REPLY.
MSTie #94119, ICQ #1320476, AIM ID scArA HDM, Yahoo ID s_c_A_r_A
Owner and Proprietor, Half-Deranged Media
http://www.early.com/~twisted/ <--It's not finished. Deal with it.
.... .- .-.. ..-. -....- -.. . .-. .- -. --. . -.. / -- . -.. .. .-
"I'm sittin here on the Group W bench 'cause you want to know if
I'm moral enough join the army, burn women, kids, houses and
villages after bein' a litterbug."
--Arlo Guthrie
.... .- .-.. ..-. -....- -.. . .-. .- -. --. . -.. / -- . -.. .. .-
Desmond Llewelyn 1914-1999
Gene Rayburn 1917-1999
Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs 1977-1999

JimL2

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
On Wed, 05 Jan 2000 01:43:06 GMT, d-r...@earthling.newt (scArA)
wrote:

>(Note: Use a fixed-width newsreader)

(But maybe you shouldn't use FreeAgent, or turn off the | bar as an
indicator of quotations for this, otherwise most of this *excellent
quality* ASCII art will look like it's just quoted. And we don't want
that.)

>Ahem.
>
>An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.

You mean the FAQ? Or were you trying to avoid having to pay royalties?

>> *Plonk*: the sound of someone falling to the bottom of
>>your kill-file. Generally posted as notification that you are
>>kill-filing
>>someone.
>
>Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
>already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
>*plonk* would be feasable:
>
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
> *plonk*

[th' center of the earth]

>However, what if your killfile only has two people?
>
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
><xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
> *clank?*

It depends on the heaviness of the address being dropped. For example:
e...@aol.com would cause a {THUP}, whereas
TheFamou...@ne.mediaone.net would make a satisfying [FWAMPWUMP!]

>In an alternate viewpoint, a killfile could be a metal-walled dungeon
>into which plonk-ees are dropped.

[spikes added for dramaticism]

>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>|> | <|
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>|> | <|
>| \|/ |
>| *plonk* |
>+/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\+

But what about the ever-popular "pit-with-ledges" "bankshot" killfile?

| | |
| | |
| | /| |
| |/ | *oof!* |
|====== | |
| | | <--This wall's s'posed to be straight.
| |\ | |
| *ow!* | \ | |
| | =========|
| | |
| | |
| | | With the ever-popular addition...
| | |
| (_|_) |
| \/|\/ *swish!* |
| | |
| | |
| \|/ |
| *plonk* |

Three points!

>In this case, the only place where a *plonk* is not acceptable is if
>the victim falls on another one.
>
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| | |
>| \|/ |
>| *thud* |
>| *OUCH* |
>|o o ooo o oo o ooo oo|
>------------------------------

[LOL]
I love that one...

>Maybe I'm giving this matter too much thought. Maybe I should just
>repeat to myself, "it's just a killfile, I should really just relax."
>
>Yet, somehow, I cannot.
>
>--J(s)P, o/~ like I'm psyyyyyyyyyyyychologically disturbed! ~\o

Jim "ASCII Art Battle!" Lauwers

In the mood... that's what she told him, in the mood...

Typical 'rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc' Poster

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
scArA wrote:

> (Note: Use a fixed-width newsreader)
>
> Ahem.
>
> An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.
>
> > *Plonk*: the sound of someone falling to the bottom of
> >your kill-file. Generally posted as notification that you are
> >kill-filing
> >someone.
>
> Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
> already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
> *plonk* would be feasable:
>
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
> *plonk*
>
> However, what if your killfile only has two people?
>
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> |
> <xxxx...@xxxxxxx.xxx> \|/
> *clank?*
>
> In an alternate viewpoint, a killfile could be a metal-walled dungeon
> into which plonk-ees are dropped.
>
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | \|/ |
> | *plonk* |
> ------------------------------

> In this case, the only place where a *plonk* is not acceptable is if
> the victim falls on another one.
>
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | | |
> | \|/ |
> | *thud* |
> | *OUCH* |
> |o o ooo o oo o ooo oo|
> ------------------------------
>
> Maybe I'm giving this matter too much thought. Maybe I should just
> repeat to myself, "it's just a killfile, I should really just relax."
>
> Yet, somehow, I cannot.

Well, let's test it, shall we? *plonk*

I don't know, that's the sound it always makes and I've killfiled
everyone and their mother.

--
Typical 'rec.arts.tv.mst3k.misc' Poster

QUOTES!!
--------
"*plonk*"
-any random RATMM poster

Matt Elcock

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
On Tue, 04 Jan 2000 19:17:50 -0800, "Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor"
<sth...@csulb.edu> wrote:

>Jess Nevins wrote:
>> scArA wrote:
>

>> > An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.

>> > Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
>> > already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
>> > *plonk* would be feasable:
>

>> Well, yeah, but think of a killfile as a very, very deep well in
>> which you're tossing the person or persons you no longer wish
>> to read.
>
>> It's a *deep* well. Hundreds of feet down. *Way* down. So far
>> down Arne Saknussem couldn't find them.
>
>So your killfile drops people into Atlantis with Kathy
>Ireland?
>
>--thor (My killfile has an acid pit at the bottom. No more messy
>cleanup in the morning.)

I hope you've put some Air Fresheners around it. I can imagine the
stench...

Matt "Pinwiz - I just will then into the cast of Small Wonder" Elcock

"You know your product/service is finally a success when the
700 Club finds a way to tie it into the occult." - Schizotrichia, 12.13.99

Homegame Industries: http://homegame.org
The Boogie Report: http://homegame.org/news/boogie

ROT-13 Address to Reply

Jess Nevins

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

"Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor" wrote:

> Jess Nevins wrote:
> > scArA wrote:
>
> > > An excerpt from a writing by Jess Nevins.

> > > Pardon me if I am wrong, but doesn't this imply that a killfile is
> > > already sorta deep? I mean, if you have ten people in your killfile, a
> > > *plonk* would be feasable:
>
> > Well, yeah, but think of a killfile as a very, very deep well in
> > which you're tossing the person or persons you no longer wish
> > to read.
>
> > It's a *deep* well. Hundreds of feet down. *Way* down. So far
> > down Arne Saknussem couldn't find them.
>
> So your killfile drops people into Atlantis with Kathy
> Ireland?

No, no--beyond that. It drops them *below* that Atlantis, into
the Atlantis of the animated Journey to the Center of the Earth.
(I was *so* traumatized, as a child, when I learned it was being
cancelled without being resolved)

> --thor (My killfile has an acid pit at the bottom. No more messy
> cleanup in the morning.)

Wouldn't that be a *sploosh* rather than a *plonk*, then?

jess

Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Matt Elcock wrote:
> "Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor" wrote:
> >Jess Nevins wrote:

> >> Well, yeah, but think of a killfile as a very, very deep well in
> >> which you're tossing the person or persons you no longer wish
> >> to read.

> >> It's a *deep* well. Hundreds of feet down. *Way* down. So far
> >> down Arne Saknussem couldn't find them.

> >So your killfile drops people into Atlantis with Kathy
> >Ireland?

> >--thor (My killfile has an acid pit at the bottom. No more messy
> >cleanup in the morning.)

> I hope you've put some Air Fresheners around it. I can imagine the
> stench...

Nah, I have a guy from the Vincent Price Acid Pool Service
clean it once or twice a month during those periods of
extremely high stupidity . . .

--thor (I mean *activity*.)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your confusing thesis has captured my attention. Tell me more.
--Phil Hartman, NewsRadio
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antaeus Feldspar

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
Jess Nevins <jjne...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> "Steven Thorpe a.k.a. thor" wrote:
>
> > Jess Nevins wrote:

> > > Well, yeah, but think of a killfile as a very, very deep well in
> > > which you're tossing the person or persons you no longer wish
> > > to read.
> >
> > > It's a *deep* well. Hundreds of feet down. *Way* down. So far
> > > down Arne Saknussem couldn't find them.
> >
> > So your killfile drops people into Atlantis with Kathy
> > Ireland?
>

> No, no--beyond that. It drops them *below* that Atlantis, into
> the Atlantis of the animated Journey to the Center of the Earth.
> (I was *so* traumatized, as a child, when I learned it was being
> cancelled without being resolved)

Oh, pshah, like they were ever gonna resolve it? Ever let them
find their way home? I *don't* think so. Me, I was traumatized just by
that thing being *on*... I've always had a low tolerance for the
"they'll never find their way home... EVER" genre, which is a pity
given how many shows, some of them good, take it as a given (Voyager,
JttCoE, Land of the Lost, Quantum Leap...)

> > --thor (My killfile has an acid pit at the bottom. No more messy
> > cleanup in the morning.)
>

> Wouldn't that be a *sploosh* rather than a *plonk*, then?
>
> jess

-jc

--
* -jc IS *NOW* feld...@cryogen.com
* Home page: http://members.tripod.com/~afeldspar/index.html

DON3k

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00

Well, I have a Killfile of Holding, so it's not necessarily large, since it
appears to be just a 2 by 2 square, but it has an unlimited capacity, and I
can, if I choose to do so, reach in and grab anything that has been
plonked. (Whoa! Whoa! Slow down there, egghead!)

Anyway, what I'm saying is, my Killfile is actually rather silent... More
of a rubbing cloth sound, I guess, as the message enters.

--

DON3k
MST3k - Picture This Quote! - MST3k