MST3K DVD Collection One

1 view

Derek Janssen

Sep 6, 2002, 2:09:02 PM9/6/02
Accdg. to DVDFile.com:
----
Just announced from Rhino are three new box sets sure to please fans...
Up next is a 11/17 [think they mean 11/19, most stores aren't open
on Sunday?] arrival for Mystery Science Theater 3000 Collection
One, the first-ever DVD boxed set of the famed cult series. This
collection includes "the top fan-requested episodes, featuring the
films
Catalina Caper, The Creeping Terror, Bloodlust, and Skydivers," plus four
original feature films without MST3K commentary, as well as the
original
trailers from three of the features.
Retail is $59.95 for each set, and Rhino has also announced that they will
be releasing further box sets of these series in 2003.
---

...So now we have a date, but (since nobody else has printed the press
release) here is where fans traditionally insert questions about whether
the new disks will be available separately.

Derek Janssen (I mean, I'm all for the box craze, but not if it means
Mike episodes)
dja...@rcn.com

Kevin Skinner

Sep 6, 2002, 5:15:01 PM9/6/02

>Derek Janssen (I mean, I'm all for the box craze, but not if it means
>Mike episodes)
>dja...@rcn.com

Because you already have the Mike episodes, or...?

Derek Janssen

Sep 6, 2002, 5:57:05 PM9/6/02
Kevin Skinner wrote:

> >(I mean, I'm all for the box craze, but not if it means
> >Mike episodes)
>
> Because you already have the Mike episodes, or...?

...Or, because I probably wouldn't watch "Skydivers" more than once.

Derek Janssen (and "Creeping Terror" was okay, but deserved better riffs)
dja...@rcn.com

Fizban

Sep 6, 2002, 6:30:54 PM9/6/02
Got an exact link?, Been searching the sit efor possible more, but can't
find it.

Cheers

Fiz

Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in news:3D78EF3C...@rcn.com:

--
Elmshires MST3K DAP Trading site

http://www.geocities.com/elmshire

Always looking for fresh trades,
Haven't got any Eps?, we can make a deal :)

Kevin Skinner

Sep 6, 2002, 7:30:33 PM9/6/02

>...Or, because I probably wouldn't watch "Skydivers" more than once

True that. Ugh...that's a bad one.

Craig J. Clark

Sep 6, 2002, 8:23:41 PM9/6/02
Kevin Skinner wrote:

> >...Or, because I probably wouldn't watch "Skydivers" more than once
>
> True that. Ugh...that's a bad one.

I don't know, I've seen it at least three times (once on Comedy Central
and twice on tape), and I think it keeps getting funnier each time I see
it. The deeper you delve into the Coleman Francis troika, the more
surreal and intertwined it all gets.

Of course, nothing can top "The Beast of Yucca Flats," except for the
fact that Rhino hasn't released it yet.

--
Craig J. Clark "I believe -- so strongly -- in mayonnaise."
cjc...@earthlink.net --Elmo Oxygen,

The Midnight Rambler

Sep 6, 2002, 8:43:38 PM9/6/02

"Craig J. Clark" <cjc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Kevin Skinner wrote:
> >

> > >...Or, because I probably wouldn't watch "Skydivers" more than once
> >
> > True that. Ugh...that's a bad one.
>
> I don't know, I've seen it at least three times (once on Comedy Central
> and twice on tape), and I think it keeps getting funnier each time I see
> it. The deeper you delve into the Coleman Francis troika, the more
> surreal and intertwined it all gets.

Derek hates Mike episodes. All of them. Well, except for "Batwoman." Just a
clarification for those of you not aware of that yet.

I enjoy the hell out of Skydivers. The big girl! The coffee gag! Love's Pit
Barbecue! PETEY PLANE!

(Okay, the host segs were weak. YMMV.)

--
Another extremely vague public warning from
Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot, Jr.

Derek Janssen

Sep 6, 2002, 9:29:56 PM9/6/02
The Midnight Rambler wrote:

> > > True that. Ugh...that's a bad one.
> >
> > I don't know, I've seen it at least three times (once on Comedy Central
> > and twice on tape), and I think it keeps getting funnier each time I see
> > it. The deeper you delve into the Coleman Francis troika, the more
> > surreal and intertwined it all gets.
>
> Derek hates Mike episodes. All of them. Well, except for "Batwoman." Just a
> clarification for those of you not aware of that yet.

Yes. WWoBW was a Joel episode with Mike in it, and "Mitchell" was a
Mike episode with Joel in it.

Which is neither here nor there, considering that the original question
was, WILL WE GET INDIVIDUAL DISKS OUTSIDE THE BOXSET????

Derek Janssen (I mean, it's not that *hard*!)
dja...@rcn.com

Catra-Dohtem Inc

Sep 7, 2002, 2:01:59 AM9/7/02
>"the top fan-requested episodes, featuring >the films Catalina Caper, The
Creeping >Terror, Bloodlust, and Skydivers,"

All right, who requested these four? I want names.

Seriously, isn't it just a coincidence that the "top" requested episodes were
ones they already released on VHS, hmm? No Santa-related episodes, I see,
which I believe are on the tops of a lot of folks' lists (didn't we all take a
poll or something a year and a half ago?).

I don't mind this box set, but I just wish they wouldn't try to push this on us
like, "Oh, well we thought this is what you were all whining for...."

"Can't breathe like that, can you??" - Jimmie the Clown

www.dohtem.com
All Things Yankovic - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk
We Want The Weird Al Show - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk/show

Remove Amico to e-mail me

RIP Chuck

Jef

Sep 7, 2002, 1:58:28 AM9/7/02
Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in news:3D79568F...@rcn.com:

> Yes. WWoBW was a Joel episode with Mike in it, and "Mitchell" was a
> Mike episode with Joel in it.

The hell?
I wish I could follow you on that, but it makes negative sense.

--
Toolmaster Jef Zehnder
MSTIE#95033

John Hopkins

Sep 7, 2002, 4:52:45 AM9/7/02
On 7 Sep 2002 05:58:28 GMT, Jef <jef...@subdimension.comedy>
hollered:

>Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in news:3D79568F...@rcn.com:
>

>> Yes. WWoBW was a Joel episode with Mike in it, and "Mitchell" was a
>> Mike episode with Joel in it.
>>

>The hell?
>I wish I could follow you on that, but it makes negative sense.

My guess is we'd brush up against an FAQ violation to explore this
further, as I think was done at least once in the past and we now have
a cautious peace on the subject.

Basically, "YMMV"

/John
https://home.attbi.com/~darkhop/index.html

John Hopkins

Sep 7, 2002, 4:55:55 AM9/7/02
On 07 Sep 2002 06:01:59 GMT, catra...@aol.comAmico (Catra-Dohtem
Inc) hollered:

>>"the top fan-requested episodes, featuring >the films Catalina Caper, The
>Creeping >Terror, Bloodlust, and Skydivers,"
>
>All right, who requested these four? I want names.
>
>Seriously, isn't it just a coincidence that the "top" requested episodes were
>ones they already released on VHS, hmm? No Santa-related episodes, I see,
>which I believe are on the tops of a lot of folks' lists (didn't we all take a
>poll or something a year and a half ago?).
>
>I don't mind this box set, but I just wish they wouldn't try to push this on us
>like, "Oh, well we thought this is what you were all whining for...."

Somehow I can't see them saying "These are the most requested episodes
of the ones we have a legal right to release." The fact that they're
releasing them tells me Rhino believes they'll sell, and I'd bet that
means we'd get some more titles if it were possible.

>"Can't breathe like that, can you??" - Jimmie the Clown
>
>www.dohtem.com
>All Things Yankovic - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk
>We Want The Weird Al Show - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk/show
>
>Remove Amico to e-mail me
>
>RIP Chuck

/John
https://home.attbi.com/~darkhop/index.html

Derek Janssen

Sep 7, 2002, 1:26:36 PM9/7/02
John Hopkins wrote:

> >>"the top fan-requested episodes, featuring >the films Catalina Caper, The
> >Creeping >Terror, Bloodlust, and Skydivers,"
> >
> >All right, who requested these four? I want names.
> >
> >Seriously, isn't it just a coincidence that the "top" requested episodes were
> >ones they already released on VHS, hmm? No Santa-related episodes, I see,
> >which I believe are on the tops of a lot of folks' lists (didn't we all take a
> >poll or something a year and a half ago?).
>
> Somehow I can't see them saying "These are the most requested episodes
> of the ones we have a legal right to release." The fact that they're
> releasing them tells me Rhino believes they'll sell, and I'd bet that
> means we'd get some more titles if it were possible.

Actually, they *are* saying it--
Specifically, "Of the pre-existing VHS episodes we have disk rights to
at the moment, these were the titles that topped the poll [= "most
requested"]", so they can pawn a little blame off on the audience, and
make it look like we wanted them to.

Remember, "Manos" and "Mitchell" *were* the first post-poll disks titles
to come out (heh, those Batwoman/BotE things just kinda got away before
they could stop them), so it wasn't all a waste of time.

Derek Janssen
dja...@rcn.com

Robert Hutchinson

Sep 7, 2002, 2:23:05 PM9/7/02
Jef says...

> I wish I could follow you on that, but it makes negative sense.

You'd probably do better just to search Google Groups. It's been hashed
out here too many times to count, both politely and not-so-politely.

--
Robert Hutchinson | "[Destiny's Child] got booed at the NBA
| playoffs. Even men in plush animal costumes
| don't get booed at the NBA playoffs."
| -- Fametracker.com

Catra-Dohtem Inc

Sep 8, 2002, 1:50:39 AM9/8/02
>The fact that they're
>releasing them tells me Rhino believes they'll sell, and I'd bet that
>means we'd get some more titles if it were possible.

I guess that's possible, but on the other hand, the last time a new episode was
released on either format was back in January of last year.

So I think it leads to the question for Rhino, "What's going on?"

Now, I don't pretend to know everything about how Rhino has to acquire the home
video rights for the episodes (I believe it's been explained at least
forty-five different ways, and it's still confusing to a point), but surely
there's still some episodes they can get the rights to rather cheaply....or
rather, after a good year and a half they can afford to splurge to get the
rights to *one* episode even if that movie's value has gone up.

Even if it's not a classic episode like "Last of the Wild Horses" or
"Laserblast," then at least it would still be a new episode. One would think
they would see the marketability factor in that. "ONLY AVAILABLE ON DVD!"

Joseph Nebus

Sep 8, 2002, 3:00:46 PM9/8/02
Jef <jef...@subdimension.comedy> writes:

>Derek Janssen <dja...@rcn.com> wrote in news:3D79568F...@rcn.com:

>> Yes. WWoBW was a Joel episode with Mike in it, and "Mitchell" was a
>> Mike episode with Joel in it.

>The hell?
>I wish I could follow you on that, but it makes negative sense.

He believed what he read on the Rhino jacket covers.

Joseph Nebus

John Hopkins

Sep 9, 2002, 4:58:42 AM9/9/02
On 08 Sep 2002 05:50:39 GMT, catra...@aol.comAmico (Catra-Dohtem
Inc) hollered:

>>The fact that they're

>>releasing them tells me Rhino believes they'll sell, and I'd bet that
>>means we'd get some more titles if it were possible.
>
>I guess that's possible, but on the other hand, the last time a new episode was
>released on either format was back in January of last year.
>
>So I think it leads to the question for Rhino, "What's going on?"
>
>Now, I don't pretend to know everything about how Rhino has to acquire the home
>video rights for the episodes (I believe it's been explained at least
>forty-five different ways, and it's still confusing to a point), but surely
>there's still some episodes they can get the rights to rather cheaply....or
>rather, after a good year and a half they can afford to splurge to get the
>rights to *one* episode even if that movie's value has gone up.

I dunno. I've seen a lot of previously-languishing-in-limbo titles
sprout VHS wings after they've been riffed on MST. That means someone
either bought or discovered they already had the rights and would
rather try to sucker the unsuspecting rather than let someone else
release it in this variant.

>Even if it's not a classic episode like "Last of the Wild Horses" or
>"Laserblast," then at least it would still be a new episode. One would think
>they would see the marketability factor in that. "ONLY AVAILABLE ON DVD!"
>

>"Can't breathe like that, can you??" - Jimmie the Clown
>
>www.dohtem.com
>All Things Yankovic - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk
>We Want The Weird Al Show - http://members.aol.com/allthngynk/show
>
>Remove Amico to e-mail me
>
>RIP Chuck

/John
https://home.attbi.com/~darkhop/index.html

Sampo

Sep 9, 2002, 3:06:33 PM9/9/02
>...So now we have a date, but (since nobody else has printed the press
>release) here is where fans traditionally insert questions about whether
>the new disks will be available separately.

Just heard back from my source. Bad news (at least for you, Derek), I'm afraid:
"There are no plans to date to release the titles individually on DVD. Maybe
that will change later on."

Sampo (Maybe you can resell the Mike eps on Ebay...)
-----
Remove "fortable" from the end of the "reply to" address to send email.

For the latest information on MST3K, turn your crank to
http://www.mst3kinfo.com - Satellite News - The Official MST3K Info Club Web
site.

Dylonius Funk

Sep 9, 2002, 10:29:02 PM9/9/02

"John Hopkins" <dar...@attbi.com> wrote in message

We could throw our "violating the FAQ" saving rolls to find out:-)

--
"This is a test of the national .sig alert system
Had this been a real .sig you would have seen actual humor

Dylonius Funk | remove the "merceplanet" to contact me.
Email always appreciated.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us. " Calvin,Calvin and
Hobbes

"I don't watch T.V. It's a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate
metaphors in an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media
elite"
Guard, Babylon 5:Between The Darkness And The Light