OT: I LOVE fanfiction.net

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Gypsy Jr.

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 4:55:19 PM12/20/00
to
I just uploaded an MST story last night and when I logged on this morning it
already had three reviews :) Bodger reviewed it less than five minutes after I
uploaded it, which I found somewhat amusing. (Thanks Bodg!)

It's pretty wild, I haven't gotten one bad review on FF.N or any bad comments
on my artwork at Elfwood. That makes me pretty darn happy :)


~*Becky "Gypsy Jr." Mroczkowski*~
AND Spike and Angel, the rats of RATMM
"JFK was a donut, Carter was really flakey, and Clinton waffles on the issue" -
RATMM's own ReaperG, defining our nation's secret pastry infrastructure
MSTie #67948

Gbobolink

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 5:37:46 PM12/20/00
to
>It's pretty wild, I haven't gotten one bad review on FF.N or any bad comments
>on my artwork at Elfwood. That makes me pretty darn happy :)

I don't know, Gyps, I'd rather get bad feedback than 'That wuz so kewlllll!'
everytime. (This is also very weird since I read your fic last night and didn't
notice who'd written it...) Oh, and you can check out some of my stuff on
FF.net, but it's just the first five eps of MST4k and a Banjo-Kazooie huge
crossover fic.

Darth Kirby
Your next review will probably be coming from me, actually...

Joseph Nebus

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 6:28:13 PM12/20/00
to
gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) writes:

>I just uploaded an MST story last night and when I logged on this morning it
>already had three reviews :) Bodger reviewed it less than five minutes after I
>uploaded it, which I found somewhat amusing. (Thanks Bodg!)

I'm interested in fanfiction.net, but mostly because of little
observations like these --

They have collected more fanfics for Emergency (15) than for
The Dukes of Hazzard (7).

There are two Taxi fanfics, and two Muppets Tonight stories.

There are 125 Next Generation fanfics, but 521 Scarecrow and
Mrs. King fanfics.

They have 12 Law and Order fanfics (one of them a crossover
with a Who Wants To Be A Millionaire fanfic), but 49 Caroline in the City
stories.

There are six fanfics for The Twilight Zone, but 785 for Star Trek:
Voyager.

They have as many Full House fanfics (2) as they have Bewitched
or Wishbone.

There are 34 West Wing fanfics, 38 Sliders fanfics, and 71
Laverne and Shirley ones, but no Three's Company or Happy Days ones.

They have more 21 Jump Street fanfics (6) than they have
Simon and Simon (5) or Team Knight Rider (3).

They have 96 Due South fanfics, but only one Northern Exposure.
There are, though, 72 Moonlighting fanfics.

178 Dawson's Creek fanfics, but 390 Power Rangers. 89 Profiler,
56 Quantum Leap.


Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)

These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)

Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Midnight Rambler

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 7:13:07 PM12/20/00
to

Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
news:nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu...

> gypsy...@aol.compost (Gypsy Jr.) writes:
>
> >I just uploaded an MST story last night and when I logged on this morning
it
> >already had three reviews :) Bodger reviewed it less than five minutes
after I
> >uploaded it, which I found somewhat amusing. (Thanks Bodg!)
>
> I'm interested in fanfiction.net, but mostly because of little
> observations like these --
>
> They have collected more fanfics for Emergency (15) than for
> The Dukes of Hazzard (7).

"Emergency!" Fanfics?

*blink*

Is the whole world without nothing to do? Should we send it outside to make
new friends?

--
"THE POWER OF RANDOLPH MANTOOTH COMPELS YOU!"
-- Robert "Big Rob" Fontenot
The Midnight Rambler
http://beatles.about.com

Bodger

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 7:42:20 PM12/20/00
to

Gypsy Jr. <gypsy...@aol.compost> wrote in message
news:20001220165519...@ng-fa1.aol.com...

> I just uploaded an MST story last night and when I logged on this morning
it
> already had three reviews :) Bodger reviewed it less than five minutes
after I
> uploaded it, which I found somewhat amusing. (Thanks Bodg!)

Yeah, but the fact that I was there about five minutes after it was uploaded
reflects my lack of a social life. >_< Oh well, you're welcome.

> It's pretty wild, I haven't gotten one bad review on FF.N or any bad
comments
> on my artwork at Elfwood. That makes me pretty darn happy :)
>

You'd be amazed. If you're good enough, you're kind of unstoppable. Of
course, the MST3K reviewers tend to be pretty nice -- wait till you try the
Final Fantasy sections. O_o

Bodger
"Of course, the one reviewer I had who fit the flamer profile gave my story
a positive review... hmm..."


Bodger

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 7:45:09 PM12/20/00
to

Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
news:nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu...

No no no, what's scary is that there are over 10,000 Harry Potter fics,
while there are only 17 Discworld fics.

Also, there are exactly 18 Minesweeper fics.

Bodger
"HOW THE *^*£$ DO YOU WRITE A FANFIC ABOUT MINESWEEPER, FOR &%(*$'s
SAKE?!?!?!"


Chris Mehring

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 10:36:39 PM12/20/00
to
Somehow, Bodger got this message out of Ward E:

>Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
>news:nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu...

{List of fanfiction.net stories from _Due South_ to _Quantum Leap_ sniped}

>> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
>> many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
>> show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)
>>
>> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
>> reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)
>>
>> Joseph Nebus
>
>No no no, what's scary is that there are over 10,000 Harry Potter fics,
>while there are only 17 Discworld fics.
>
>Also, there are exactly 18 Minesweeper fics.
>
>Bodger
>"HOW THE *^*£$ DO YOU WRITE A FANFIC ABOUT MINESWEEPER, FOR &%(*$'s
>SAKE?!?!?!"

I pick the upper left corner. The face smiles at me. It dares me to pick
again. It dares me to pick the next square.

I do. Relief crosses the face. He smiles when the '1' appears.

I reason. There are four squares adjacent to the '1'. Will the face give me a
hint? Will he give me more parts of his story?

He fought the bulls. He hunted big game. He drank absinthe with me in Madrid.
Yet, he was silent.

He had seen much in his life. He had been a journalist, a soldier, a teacher.
He lived.

I saw him write columns that moved old men to tears. I saw him stare down the
bullets on the front. I saw him make Shakespeare come alive to elementary
school students. All the time, he had that enigmatic smile on his face.

Enough reminiscence. The clock is counting up. Another decision must be made.
He gives me a look. "Pick the upper right corner," the look seems to say.

I think of a time when first fell in love. She was raven-haired with green
eyes. Thoughts of her come to me in times of trouble. "Where is she now," I
wonder. "Is she married? Is she a mother? Does she think of me? What would
life be like if..."

Thoughts trail off and I look to the face. "Do you remember her, old friend?"

I pick the upper right corner. The mine explodes. The face dies.

Did you know? Did you want to leave this place? Why did you put this trust in
me?

Time for whiskey. I drink a toast to you. I select Game. I select New. Time
to start anew.

I pick the upper left corner.

Chris "Close enough?" Mehring

-----------------------------------------------
The HHH of D-Generation X 3000.
"Because I am that damn good!"--The real HHH
"Must Win? World War II was a must win."-- Marv Levy, ex-Buffalo Bills coach.
To reply e-mail address must be "pepsi" free.

Jess Nevins

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 10:41:12 PM12/20/00
to

> >No no no, what's scary is that there are over 10,000 Harry Potter fics,
> >while there are only 17 Discworld fics.

Who'd do a Discworld fanfic? You're presuming to write in the
world of (and presumably the style of) one of the masters.
It takes incredibly obtuseness, stupidity, or chutzpah, or
better still a combination of all three to try to do that. It'd
be like writing a Jeeves and Wooster fanfic, or a Mapp and
Lucia fanfic.

jess--and, yes, I wrote a Jeeves and Wooster fanfic--but I
fit all three categories I mentioned.

Gbobolink

unread,
Dec 20, 2000, 10:48:23 PM12/20/00
to
>Bodger
>"HOW THE *^*£$ DO YOU WRITE A FANFIC ABOUT MINESWEEPER, FOR &%(*$'s
>SAKE?!?!?!"

[Begins to cough uncontrollably]

Darth Kirby
Looks like that MST3k/Minesweeper crossover isn't going to be as well recieved
as I hoped...

Bodger

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 1:36:07 AM12/21/00
to

Chris Mehring <cmehr...@aol.compepsi> wrote in message
news:20001220223639...@ng-cp1.aol.com...

Very close, and MARRY ME, for God's sake.

Bodger
"The mines... THE MINES!"


Mark Steese

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 3:23:33 AM12/21/00
to
8 göter ok 22 norrmen ok neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in
<nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu>:
[snippety]

> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
>many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
>show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)

Can it really be that nobody has claimed these points yet? If so... "Love
of Chair" from The Electric Company! God, I loved that show. Do I get the
points? (Oh please oh please oh please)


>
> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
>reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)

Dang! It's one of those ones that sounds like something I've heard...but I
can't place it.

I once had an idea for a Homicide: Life on the Street/Daria crossover
fanfic. Was that wrong?

-Mark

--
Some lives read like a postcard
And some lives read like a book
I'll be happy if mine
Doesn't read like a joke from an old Christmas cracker
-Kirsty MacColl 1959-2000

Trademark

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 3:36:22 AM12/21/00
to
"The Midnight Rambler" wrote:

> Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
>

> > They have collected more fanfics for Emergency (15) than for
> > The Dukes of Hazzard (7).
>
> "Emergency!" Fanfics?
>
> *blink*
>
> Is the whole world without nothing to do? Should we send it outside to
make
> new friends?
>
> --
> "THE POWER OF RANDOLPH MANTOOTH COMPELS YOU!"

Well, he WAS always climbing up ladders to rescue cats, magicians, the Beav,
Love Boat castoffs, etc. He's probably had his inexplicably mechanic-suited
ass rerun more than, say, Jack Tripper's faux-gay one.


Trademark
(Are there any COPS fanfics?)

NameLite

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 6:23:56 AM12/21/00
to
>From: neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus)

<<And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)>>

Well, in the old Carol Burnett Show soap opera parody, "As the Stomach Turns"
each episode would end with the announcer posing intriguing questions like
"Will Mindy tell Billy-Bob that the baby he thinks is his was really fathered
by his twin brother? Is Harmonica doomed to never remember that she's married
to Dirk? Will the police ever discover that Old Man Perkins is The Zip Code
Killer? AND WHAT ABOUT NAOMI?!?" Ah, memories! I should go write some
fanfics about that parody.

Chris Mehring

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 9:55:17 AM12/21/00
to
Somehow, Bodger got this message out of Ward E:
>Chris Mehring <cmehr...@aol.compepsi> wrote in message
>news:20001220223639...@ng-cp1.aol.com...
>> Somehow, Bodger got this message out of Ward E:
>>
>> >Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
>> >news:nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu...
>>
>> {List of fanfiction.net stories from _Due South_ to _Quantum Leap_ sniped}
>>
>> >> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
>> >> many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
>> >> show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)
>> >>
>> >> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
>> >> reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)
>> >>
>> >> Joseph Nebus
>> >
>> >No no no, what's scary is that there are over 10,000 Harry Potter fics,
>> >while there are only 17 Discworld fics.
>> >
>> >Also, there are exactly 18 Minesweeper fics.
>> >
>> >Bodger
>> >"HOW THE *^*£$ DO YOU WRITE A FANFIC ABOUT MINESWEEPER, FOR &%(*$'s
>> >SAKE?!?!?!"
>>
>> I pick the upper left corner. The face smiles at me. It dares me to pick
>> again. It dares me to pick the next square.
>>
>> I do. Relief crosses the face. He smiles when the '1' appears.

{The rest of the Minesweeper fanfic snipped}

>> Chris "Close enough?" Mehring
>
>Very close, and MARRY ME, for God's sake.

For God's sake, I will.

Chris "I gotta try writing more fanfics" Mehring

Jay Rudin

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 2:25:01 PM12/21/00
to
Joseph Nebus wrote:

> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
> many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
> show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)
>
> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
> reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)

For the answers to these and other questions, tune in tomorrow for "Love
of Chair".

Jay Rudin

Joseph Nebus

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 10:24:26 PM12/21/00
to
mst...@home.com (Mark Steese) writes:

>8 gter ok 22 norrmen ok neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in


><nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu>:
>[snippety]
>> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
>>many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
>>show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)

>Can it really be that nobody has claimed these points yet? If so... "Love
>of Chair" from The Electric Company! God, I loved that show. Do I get the
>points? (Oh please oh please oh please)

Yup, by my news server's accounting you got to it first.

(We just got Noggin, which includes The Electric Company and
the 1970s Sesame Street, and 3-2-1 Contact but it's been in the lame
seasons since it came on. I haven't been in this deep a retro-crack
haze in *years*.)


>> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
>>reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)

>Dang! It's one of those ones that sounds like something I've heard...but I
>can't place it.

Nah, the circumstances for hearing the original source would be
pretty darned rare. It *was* published, but in a very small, local
publication. Still, I knew the guys who wrote it, and said it, and they
were *very* funny at it. Just trust me.


>I once had an idea for a Homicide: Life on the Street/Daria crossover
>fanfic. Was that wrong?

No worse than the Hot Fudge Show/Kratt's Creatures/Popeye
crossever I've been waiting for.

Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Midnight Rambler

unread,
Dec 21, 2000, 11:53:55 PM12/21/00
to

Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message
news:nebusj.9...@rcs-sun2.rcs.rpi.edu...

> mst...@home.com (Mark Steese) writes:
>
> >8 gter ok 22 norrmen ok neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in
> ><nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu>:
> >[snippety]
> >> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
> >>many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
> >>show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)
>
> >Can it really be that nobody has claimed these points yet? If so...
"Love
> >of Chair" from The Electric Company! God, I loved that show. Do I get
the
> >points? (Oh please oh please oh please)
>
> Yup, by my news server's accounting you got to it first.
>
> (We just got Noggin, which includes The Electric Company and
> the 1970s Sesame Street, and 3-2-1 Contact but it's been in the lame
> seasons since it came on. I haven't been in this deep a retro-crack
> haze in *years*.)

Oh, God. You aren't kidding, there. The Bloodhound Gang. Fargo North,
Decoder. Easy Reader. And...

Two.... banana creme... pies!

*crash*

AND THAT'S OUR.... SONG.... OF.... TWO!

--
"Gordon, with a full 'fro."

Joseph Nebus

unread,
Dec 22, 2000, 1:04:42 AM12/22/00
to
name...@aol.com (NameLite) writes:

>>From: neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus)

><<And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)>>

> Well, in the old Carol Burnett Show soap opera parody, "As the Stomach
> Turns"
>each episode would end with the announcer posing intriguing questions like

...


> AND WHAT ABOUT NAOMI?!?" Ah, memories! I should go write some
>fanfics about that parody.

Erp... well, I didn't know about that. Very likely it's the
reference that "Love of Chair" was referring to, since they did make a
good number of pop cultural references. Anyway, I was thinking of The
Electric Company, even if you've found the original source.

Joseph Nebus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Steese

unread,
Dec 22, 2000, 4:17:43 AM12/22/00
to
8 göter ok 22 norrmen ok neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in
<nebusj.9...@rcs-sun2.rcs.rpi.edu>:

>mst...@home.com (Mark Steese) writes:
>
>>8 gter ok 22 norrmen ok neb...@rpi.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote in
>><nebusj.9...@cartesian.math.rpi.edu>:
>>[snippety]
>>> Why these breakdowns? Why have these particular shows drawn so
>>>many writers to fanfiction.net? What is this this "Higher Ground"
>>>show that has 1063 fanfics? And... what about Naomi? (3 pts.)
>
>>Can it really be that nobody has claimed these points yet? If so...
>>"Love of Chair" from The Electric Company! God, I loved that show. Do
>>I get the points? (Oh please oh please oh please)
>
> Yup, by my news server's accounting you got to it first.

Woo hoo! My first points!

> (We just got Noggin, which includes The Electric Company and
>the 1970s Sesame Street, and 3-2-1 Contact but it's been in the lame
>seasons since it came on. I haven't been in this deep a retro-crack
>haze in *years*.)

No Noggin in this neck of the woods, alas. Probably my fondest school
memory is of the day our teacher stopped the class and wheeled in a
television so we could watch the premiere of The Electric Company. I was
hooked instantly. It was the Cool Pool Fool that did it.

Electric Company was also my introduction to the songwriting genius of Tom
Lehrer. And then there was Mel Brooks doing the voice of the cranky old man
who couldn't understand the unpunctuated sentences ("This is Mr. Smith hat.
Smith hat. Doesn't make sense.")

>>> These are all questions I feel I cannot answer. (That's also a
>>>reference, but nobody's going to find the original source.)
>
>>Dang! It's one of those ones that sounds like something I've
>>heard...but I can't place it.
>
> Nah, the circumstances for hearing the original source would be
>pretty darned rare. It *was* published, but in a very small, local
>publication. Still, I knew the guys who wrote it, and said it, and they
>were *very* funny at it. Just trust me.

I do. Implicitly.

>>I once had an idea for a Homicide: Life on the Street/Daria crossover
>>fanfic. Was that wrong?
>
> No worse than the Hot Fudge Show/Kratt's Creatures/Popeye
>crossever I've been waiting for.

Okay...I'll have to ruminate over that one.

-Mark
--
"Will someone please tell Mr. Smith that his hat is in the onion dip!"

Andrew

unread,
Dec 22, 2000, 1:54:00 PM12/22/00
to

On Fri, 22 Dec 2000, The Midnight Rambler wrote:

:
:Joseph Nebus <neb...@rpi.edu> wrote in message

I've always wanted to know who was that guy that was the cook in that counting
sequence? It looked and sounded a lot like Jim Henson himself, but I'm never
certain.

---Andrew "And good ol' Mr. Hooper." K.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages